Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,653 members, 7,820,267 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:21 PM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (109) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (464559 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (106) (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:40am On Feb 06, 2013
ositadima1: hi all, I tried to boot ubuntu from cd and after it loading into memory I was asked for password. [size=18pt]It's very strange in that I have booted ubuntu soccessfully before with the same cd on other laptops[/size]. Gurus in the house, any ideas what could cause this?

one thing is i never reply questions that are addressed as GURU or DON or whatever funny sobriquet anyone chooses to use

secondly, im not exactly sure what response you want. the bolded and highlighted potion of your question says it all.
how am i supposed to figure out why a live cd requires username/password?

anyways, does the target laptop have a ubuntu install on it already? if it does try the password on it.

otherwise try live/live

other than these two suggestions, i really do not know the answer to your question.

thank you for posting freely on the "close group" page.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:47am On Feb 06, 2013
all4naija: Isn't that a privilege-properties error? Instead of you disabling it by changing the enable value to zero that will prevent you from sending error messages to Ubuntu serve. Why not just do this:

it is not a privileges error.

apport reports are only enabled by default for testing releases for devs to immediately catch non-serious bugs and crashes.
for stable releases it is disabled.

one it logs aggressively,
two, it invokes panic in a non savvy user
three, it is in actual fact NOT necessary. when the system encounters a serious error it will take a log dump and offer to send to the bug tracker without an alarming notification.

unfortunately, by some oversight apport has been left enabled by default in 12.04/12.10.
personally i suspect it was deliberate, because i check those logs and it seems to be logging errors from dash and scopes. the Unity devs apparently want logs from their unfinished unity tweaks.

then again changing that value to 0 does not stop the logging and sending of bug reports, IT STOPS THE NOTIFICATIONS.
u disable bug reporting from elsewhere on the system.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ositadima1(m): 11:40am On Feb 06, 2013
4llerbuntu:

one thing is i never reply questions that are addressed as GURU or DON or whatever funny sobriquet anyone chooses to use

secondly, im not exactly sure what response you want. the bolded and highlighted potion of your question says it all.
how am i supposed to figure out why a live cd requires username/password?

anyways, does the target laptop have a ubuntu install on it already? if it does try the password on it.

otherwise try live/live

other than these two suggestions, i really do not know the answer to your question.

thank you for posting freely on the "close group" page.

I apologize for assuming all Nigerians are the same, there luv for titles and accolades... Thank you for your reply, I will try out a live cd.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 6:42pm On Feb 06, 2013
ositadima1:

I apologize for assuming all Nigerians are the same, there luv for titles and accolades... Thank you for your reply, I will try out a live cd.

well actually for techies, most of the time titles sound patronising (as if you're trying to bribe us or something)

As for your error that's strange, maybe it's a problem with the cd; ubuntu livecds shouldn't ask for password (as far as i know sha) unfortunately i can't remeber the default username for the ubuntu user.
Try googling up default username and password for ubuntu, but like i said before, my first thought on hearing your issue is that some error occurred during the boot process
Re: Ubuntu Linux by deji2009(m): 6:59pm On Feb 06, 2013
all4naija: Please, your question is not clear enough. Are you installing from the CD or just trying the OS from CD? what is your system configuration and the Ubuntu OS version?

I gave you a round of applause.

wink cheesy

That's the right Questions

Who knows the poster may
be installing it from a
Hiren boot cd. He could
be dual booting because
it rare for a user to have
Ubutu as main Operating Sys

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by ositadima1(m): 7:03pm On Feb 06, 2013
Really, I didn't hear the applause, louder.

My guy I am not a noob, I have done interesting stuff with ubuntu before, ok.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 7:14pm On Feb 06, 2013
4llerbuntu:

then again changing that value to 0 does not stop the logging and sending of bug reports, IT STOPS THE NOTIFICATIONS.
u disable bug reporting from elsewhere on the system.
You are correct!

Not only enabled for the usefulness to developers also for users. The usefulness is really unimportant to users in most cases but it is still recommended by Ubuntu Bug report under 'Complete the bug report filing process' at LINK

It is true it has no important usefulness as errors are not reported to the launchpad.

This should be a failure on the developers of Apport side. If it is not useful to user on a stable system. Why would they include it in a stable OS?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:50am On Feb 07, 2013
deji2009:

I gave you a round of applause.

wink cheesy

That's the right Questions

Who knows the poster may
be installing it from a
Hiren boot cd.

He could
be dual booting because
it [size=18pt]rare for a user to have
Ubutu as main Operating Sys
[/size]

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

i'm not sure u really read the question

and d other part .... grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:51am On Feb 07, 2013
FlareGet is a full featured, advanced, multi-threaded, multi-segment download manager and accelerator for Linux. Some of its features include: dynamic file segmentation, enhanced browser Integration, metalink support, intelligent file management system, resume support, one click flash video download, scheduler.

http://download.cnet.com/FlareGet/3000-2071_4-12955290.html

proper IDM equivalent for linux.

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 11:33am On Feb 07, 2013

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 2:31am On Feb 10, 2013
I tested Rarering Tail beta on VM and it is very stable than I thought . I don't how it is going be on a personal machine. It's a great OS though.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 4:07am On Feb 17, 2013
4llerbuntu: FlareGet is a full featured, advanced, multi-threaded, multi-segment download manager and accelerator for Linux. Some of its features include: dynamic file segmentation, enhanced browser Integration, metalink support, intelligent file management system, resume support, one click flash video download, scheduler.

http://download.cnet.com/FlareGet/3000-2071_4-12955290.html

proper IDM equivalent for linux.

Very cool downloading software. I think it is the best Downloader for Linux platform. It can very well be compared to IDM in all areas.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 7:35am On Feb 20, 2013
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ciphoenix: 12:59am On Feb 21, 2013
I for just wait buy the nexus 4 o. slot had to wait till I got my note before putting it up for sale angry
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 7:43am On Feb 21, 2013
Later today a developer preview of Ubuntu Touch will be made available to download and install on a handful of Nexus devices.

Both the Phone interface and the newly unveiled Tablet interfaces will be distributed; the type of device you’re installing on deciding which Ubuntu Touch format you get.

With anticipation for the touch-centric interfaces unquenchable, many of folks will be planning to sacrifice a stable Android install for a chance to toy around with the newest Phablet phenomenon.

But is that a wise thing to do?

When property developer’s are trying to sell houses on a plot of land prior to building them they create a ‘show home’.

A show home is a real house that’s finished and furnished to a high standard – but only at face value. So while the bathroom may look great it’s probably not plumbed in, and those big spacious-feeling rooms won’t feel quite so spacious once they’re full of ‘real life’ clutter.

The aim of a show-home is to give buyers an impression; a vision; something that’s easier to imagine living in than that offered by a styro-foam model and set of blueprints. It is an example.

Tomorrow’s preview releases will be a show home for the Ubuntu touch experience.

Although what will be available is working code it shouldn’t be taken as being finished code. Start scratching the surface you’ll find the code equivalent of waxed fruit…

Similarly, though the slick video demos and screenshots show off a launcher and app tray stuffed full of a variety of apps most of these are actually just prettified links to websites – something that might be disappointing to realise should you not know in advance!

Notable app inclusions:

Dialler
Messaging App (SMS)
Basic web-browser
Gallery App
Camera App
Calculator

Notable app omissions:

No IM app
No music player
No e-mail client
No ‘App Store’
No Ubuntu One app

Of the applications that are there be prepared to encounter bugs, quirks, and the odd performance issue (e.g. pinch to zoom in the web-browser is horrendous).

So now I’ve lowered your expectations – and if I haven’t then proceed directly to the start of this post – let’s focus on the positives.

Aside from looking swish, and running pretty damn well, the intrinsic framework of Ubuntu Touch – the gestures – are in place and working. Vital stuff and it’s there from day dot.

So too are other core input methods like typing, speech recognition, selecting text, etc.

The demo apps available – gallery, calculator, messages, etc – are first class and will serve as interactive inspiration for app developers and designers alike, whilst giving curious users a hint at the sort of app experiences they can expect in the future.

And the unique interface features like ‘sidestage’, indicators, and task-switching are all present for developers to get to grips with.

Summary
[size=18pt]
The long story made short is that while tomorrow brings a release of Ubuntu Touch to the public it’s a very early, work-in-progress release that is not aimed at the general user.
[/size]
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbe(m): 7:44am On Feb 21, 2013
ciphoenix: I for just wait buy the nexus 4 o. slot had to wait till I got my note before putting it up for sale angry

we will definitely get ports. especially as i hear that its quite easy to port.

what i'm waiting for is a dualboot to tide me till october. the first official release will be with desktop 13.04

pretty sure by then i'd have dumped android
Re: Ubuntu Linux by mckanute: 3:45pm On Mar 04, 2013
I used Ubuntu daily for 7yrs. I currently prefer Linux Mint, an Ubuntu based Linux desktop that gives me a lot more liberty. Its like an older version of Ubuntu

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 5:41pm On Mar 04, 2013
4llerbe:
pretty sure by then i'd have dumped android

well i'm pretty sure it's just a matter of time before we have an android launcher that has the ubuntu sort of ui with all the gestures and stuff. For me that customisability has been a major selling point of android. i'm not sure ubuntu will give me that anytime soon so for now i'm down with android
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:25pm On Mar 05, 2013
truth is away from the fanboyism etc etc, im tired of android. tired of the little niggles we always argue away.

First Ubuntu Touch release will be faster than android 5.0 i tried the alpha alpha.

its layered on android kernel, unoptimised and laggy. ironically its about the same speed as gingerbread even in that state.

Pure code will beat a Dalvik VM hands down.

and incidentally, just like on desktop, im not much of a gamer. wont be missing much on android

plus when the code for desktop convergence matures, whats not to like?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ciphoenix: 5:30pm On Mar 05, 2013
now that it's official we'll be getting releases for other droids (galaxy lineup inclusive cheesy) can't wait.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 12:35am On Mar 12, 2013
Hi everyone. I can see this thread is still humming along nicely.
Does anyone have thoughts on the recent announcements from Cannonical about Unity next, Mir and the whole Ubuntu Convergence thingy
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 11:42pm On Mar 12, 2013
maybe it's just me o but it seems sort of reminicent of win8 - the convergence thingy
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ciphoenix: 12:13am On Mar 13, 2013
win8 is a failure. this won't be
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 12:25am On Mar 13, 2013
I think what Canonical is trying to do with Ubuntu is what windows 8 should have been. Windows 8 is convergence at the surface level. All the OSes look the same but they are all running incompatible toolkits and don't have interoperability of the apps. For instance, the fact that Windows 8 looks exactly like Win 8 RT, doesnt mean I can take my .exe file n install it on a tablet running RT. That causes a lot of confusion for users. On Ubuntu though, it'll be a one app fits all scenario, albeit the app developers can design different UIs for the same app based on form factor.

Also, on Ubuntu, the UI has the same core elements such as launcher on the left, indicators, etc., but they are not exactly the same, but are tailored to fit the particular form factor, whereas, Win 8 just uses d same UI n shrinks it down or blows it up to fit d different device sizes.

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 7:47am On Mar 13, 2013
hmm, compiling some obscure package from source on ur phone - just thinking aloud. On a side note, i wonder if they'll use the same pakage manager with the 1 app fits all approach. A drawback i can envision with the approach is the dependencies thingy, it might not seem like much but i'm pretty sure some people will find it annoying if everytime they install an app. a bunch of libraries they didn't specify get downloaded too. Unless it's going to work differently
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 7:57am On Mar 13, 2013
Firefox os on the other hand ... well i'll see how that one turns out but the idea that most of my apps will be web based as an idea that i find particularly distasteful - i don't even use dropbox. Call me old fashioned but i prefer to be able to use apps on my phone without lining my isp's pockets at the same time.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 8:00am On Mar 13, 2013
Has anyone tried the chromebook? personally i don't see the hype about that device, i installed a chromeos image on my flash drive and i am yet to see any reason why i'd want to put it on my phone. so to login i'll have to use a google account. True there's a guest account but that's limited, why can't i just use the device i paid for with full access without an internet connection
Re: Ubuntu Linux by prasadkunala: 12:06pm On Mar 13, 2013
Ubuntu is gr8 but it took me a while to get used to it.Especially making it to support mp3 playback. I'm still working wit it. I got spare ubuntu cds, if u need one pm me.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 3:49pm On Mar 13, 2013
Oh u guys finally came back grin grin grin

Y'all welcome.

AAAHH Ubuntu. Ubuntu is on the verge of becoming successful. and as such is acquiring a lot of enemies now, sadly within the community mostly.

I spend lots of time these days on G+ most of the tech guys seem to prefer G+ to even twitter.

and boy, it has been HOT!!! u need to see some arguments and flame wars there man, even Mark Shuttleworth joined, till we told him to GTFO and go be the CEO, we got his back on there grin grin grin

Those white devs can really be nasty, if u see the way they are bad mouthing ubuntu now ehn? LMAO

As far as i'm concerned, Canonical is making the right choices. difficult, but right.

The MIR issue for one. as far as i can tell, to do proper convergence, u need to build from scratch with that goal in mind. XORG will not help.
XORG base is crazy large and ancient But rock solid. it wont do mobile well.

Wayland guys.. grin grin grin grin u need to see them bitching. i serously dont get their problem.

apparently it stems from the fact ubuntu announced adoption of wayland in 2010. wayland never took off, and at a point had just ONE dev on it!!

Now ubuntu started MIR secretly inhouse, and boom just announced it. they complaining and shitting stones.

me iv asked them whether there is compulsion in open source. they say no. so why do u think that canonical MUST use wayland? they cant answer.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:53pm On Mar 13, 2013
apparently there is politics in it. Red Hat controls Upstream. they don’t get along well with Ubuntu the upstart that cornered the home user and is threat on server.
To the level of fights and stuff in the past. Ubuntu Dev commits take forever to be merged and according to mark, things specific for Ubuntu uses are flat out rejected.

which means if canonical decided to reshape Wayland to suit their purposes, a lot of the work will be rejected because well they are for Ubuntu mobile efforts solely. no one else is having a mobile project built from ground up now.... (google was in-house too)

Plus canonical have denied all those guys their dream of being the next superstar who made Ubuntu Touch base work... Linus Torvalds wannabes.

kai, if u follow those open source folks the kind of evil sniping going on there is amazing cheesy cheesy cheesy

canonical aint saints, infact they done a lot of crap. But they looking out for themselves primarily now, and i dont blame them, mark wan make money cheesy

but the main issue tho is that canonical will have some form of copyright on MIR. cue outrage.

But at the end of it all, they keep arguing that Canonical's technical points (more like excuses) for developing MIR are invalid, that Wayland is just as capable (or rather potentially capable) to do what canonical want it to do.

The smart take is simple, ok why not make Wayland all that..... and show up Canonical for being wrong. (everyone wins anyway)
canonical also now seem to have extra motivation to ensure MIR works great, otherwise the embarrassment go plenty o

one thing pple seem to be overlooking is, Canonical is trying to court hardware guys for drivers for MIR. code for hardware from the bottom up instead of now that they keep releasing crappy drivers AFTER the work is done.

they need this, else for instance this idea of using android drivers for ubuntu touch which is not the best.

but e dey pain other pple say canonical dey get inroad to stuff like drivers ahead of everybody. But the OEMS have proven over the years to not be willing to work with the Open Community at large. (too many pple with ego issues making unreasonable demands)

all I am concerned about is WE NEED GREAT PRODUCT, I REALLY DONT GIVE A DAMN HOW THE DEV IS DONE>!!!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (106) (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.