Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,271 members, 7,954,054 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 11:32 AM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (108) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (482134 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (105) (106) (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:13pm On Jan 04, 2013
Dunno yet. Nobody knows.

Itching to get my hands on d alpha build for gnex. My Fone is not far from it

Will take a dual boot to play with even in its current state

BTW it was a successful marketing campaign. We even have a CNN article rubbishing Ubuntu phone. Ubuntu on CNN!!! Lovely. Good or bad, flop or not, any publicity is good publicity
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Koolwilly(m): 9:01pm On Jan 04, 2013
@4llerbuntu Please i Installed yahoo messenger on my ubuntu.....I successfully converted the RPM File to DEB format and installed it but i don't know how to go about running the program.
Regards
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:52am On Jan 05, 2013
y do u need a custom app for yahoo?

the default messenger app does yahoo quite fine and even does video chats. just add your account.

if u don't like that one, install pidgin. work just fine too
this is a need that is natively supported.
unless u r saying there is some need which u have that **only*** some rpm from somewhere solves.

anyway
look for the icon for your converted app in the dash. if its not there, i don't know what u can do to run it. even canonical would not know.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Koolwilly(m): 11:10am On Jan 05, 2013
4llerbuntu: y do u need a custom app for yahoo?

the default messenger app does yahoo quite fine and even does video chats. just add your account.

if u don't like that one, install pidgin. work just fine too
this is a need that is natively supported.
unless u r saying there is some need which u have that **only*** some rpm from somewhere solves.
anyway look for the icon for your converted app in the dash. if its not there, i don't know what u can do to run it. even canonical would not know.
I have installed the DEB file......but I could not find it there.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 11:35am On Jan 05, 2013
seriously. I don't know.

can I ask why you don't want to use the default app? or pidgin?

@blackweaver, what do u mean by not working without data? the html5 apps?

I want to believe thats mostly a stop gap thingy till a native app is built.

correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that with the SDK released by canonical, its easy to

1. port existing Ubuntu apps to the phone OS. the back end is the same, what you have to do is build a GUI frontend suitable for a phone screen and in line with the design language of the mobile OS , the touch, no buttons, swipe from edges, large icons etc

which would potentially mean that every app we use on the desktop can easily come to mobile.

plus remember that a lot of these apps are open source, meaning 'anyone' can port them. it would be a competition of interfaces mostly.

2. build new apps from scratch or port them from anor OS by cross compiling(those written in supported programming languages ) . allowing for d design language. at least the claim is that the SDK/NDK makes it easy

3. apps that are closed or not available for porting **can** still be used via 'native level with integrated system notifications' webapps pending IF and when the developers who own it build one.

which would mean unlike WP where the absence of apps was such a big deal, there will options, even if inferior.

I guess u can use Google maps mobile as a web apps, likewise countless other web products that can work in a mobile web page.

that's d summary of my understanding without going into technical stuff and how one program language is better or not, if its easy or hard to write apps or compile yada yada yada.

even if this is not compelling or the bees' knees, its not half bad you know. its NOT OH SO TERRIBLE. at least an average user won't go, " where is my gmail, Facebook, twitter, oh no I can't use this POS",

HTML5 webapps for Facebook twitter won't work without internet, but native apps on any platform also would not, or am I missing something? any app that requires the internet won't work without it anywhere.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by goldenboi(m): 9:38am On Jan 07, 2013
Hello guys,

I recently updated my ubuntu OS to 12 and since then anytime I boot up, it goes straight to the terminal. I guess it has something to do with my video configuration settings. Does anyone know how I can configure my video settings via the command line?? Any help wld be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 11:41am On Jan 07, 2013
goldenboi: Hello guys,

I recently updated my ubuntu OS to 12 and since then anytime I boot up, it goes straight to the terminal. I guess it has something to do with my video configuration settings. Does anyone know how I can configure my video settings via the command line?? Any help wld be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
A fresh install or an upgrade? If it's a fresh install, sound's like you installed the server version of the OS. This doesn't have a gui installed by default.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by goldenboi(m): 12:02pm On Jan 07, 2013
Maleeq:
A fresh install or an upgrade? If it's a fresh install, sound's like you installed the server version of the OS. This doesn't have a gui installed by default.

Its an upgrade and am sure it aint the server version, it jst has something to do with my resolution/video configuration...am using an Acer system 5736Z..
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 7:23pm On Jan 07, 2013
goldenboi:

Its an upgrade and am sure it aint the server version, it jst has something to do with my resolution/video configuration...am using an Acer system 5736Z..

you know how to start the gui from terminal don't you? the command is startx
when you type the command, what happens?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 8:04pm On Jan 07, 2013
I have installed the new icons for Software Centre,Update Manager,etc on 12.10. And, they look pretty nice!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:14pm On Jan 08, 2013
Ubuntu: LightDM Black Screen When Using SSD Workaround: http://www.webupd8.org/2013/01/ubuntu-lightdm-black-screen-when-using.html

Some Ubuntu users are reporting LightDM errors when using a SDD: about half the time when starting the computer, LightDM (the default Ubuntu display manager) doesn't load correctly and only a black screen and a blinking command line cursor shows up. The issue isn't limited to those who are using a SSD, but it's a lot more frequent when booting Ubuntu from a solid-state drive.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:02am On Jan 13, 2013
Re: Ubuntu Linux by adewaleafolabi(m): 7:33pm On Jan 13, 2013
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Maleeq(m): 8:56pm On Jan 13, 2013
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ciphoenix: 11:38pm On Jan 13, 2013
Maleeq:
Signed....twice! grin
shocked
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ciphoenix: 11:38pm On Jan 13, 2013
Re: Ubuntu Linux by goldenboi(m): 10:18am On Jan 15, 2013
Whenever I try to start up the GUI using startx I get an error msg
Unable to connect to X server: connection refused. Server error.

Any help guys?

blackweaver:

you know how to start the gui from terminal don't you? the command is startx
when you type the command, what happens?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 1:36pm On Jan 15, 2013
goldenboi: Whenever I try to start up the GUI using startx I get an error msg
Unable to connect to X server: connection refused. Server error.
Any help guys?

can u post the output of lspci

(you might do something like:
sudo lspci > file.txt
then open file.txt and paste contents here)

by the way is that the only error you get? we need to know all the error messages output on the screen
Re: Ubuntu Linux by goldenboi(m): 9:34am On Jan 16, 2013
angryNow I just hate ubuntu 12.04 LTS notin seems to work. Tried copying files to one of my flash drives, gave me an unable to mount error and I ended up losing abt 100G of data, thankfully dy were films. I guess am goin bk to my 11 jejely where everything was working fine.

blackweaver:

sudo lspci > file.txt

by the way is that the only error you get? we need to know all the error messages output on the screen
Re: Ubuntu Linux by goldenboi(m): 9:48am On Jan 16, 2013
Would have posted screen shots here but I cnt seem to be able to connect to the internet using ubuntu sha. Wldnt mind meeting up with a guru in the house so we can take a look at it together.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by goldenboi(m): 1:36pm On Jan 16, 2013
Here's the output of lspci command...

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory Controller Hub (rev 07)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 07)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 03)
00:1a.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 03)
00:1a.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 03)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 3 (rev 03)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1d.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
00:1d.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
00:1d.3 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6 (rev 03)
00:1d.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 93)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation ICH9M LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation ICH9M/M-E 2 port SATA IDE Controller (rev 03)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
04:00.0 Network controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR9287 Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express) (rev 01)
05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM57780 Gigabit Ethernet PCIe (rev 01)

Further help needed oo!!

blackweaver:

sudo lspci > file.txt

Re: Ubuntu Linux by goldenboi(m): 1:44pm On Jan 16, 2013
Here is also the output of the startx command when run in terminal:

root@Sniffer:/# startx

X.Org X Server 1.13.0
Release Date: 2012-09-05
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 3.2.0-26-generic i686 Ubuntu
Current Operating System: Linux Sniffer 2.6.32-42-generic #96-Ubuntu SMP Wed Aug 15 18:57:09 UTC 2012 i686
Kernel command line: root=UUID=b3914380-a6bc-42b7-aa88-f7e0675068cf ro quiet splash
Build Date: 08 October 2012 03:34:08PM
xorg-server 2:1.13.0-0ubuntu6 (For technical support please see http://www.ubuntu.com/support)
Current version of pixman: 0.26.0
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Wed Jan 16 12:39:55 2013
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
setversion 1.4 failed
Initializing built-in extension Generic Event Extension
Initializing built-in extension SHAPE
Initializing built-in extension MIT-SHM
Initializing built-in extension XInputExtension
Initializing built-in extension XTEST
Initializing built-in extension BIG-REQUESTS
Initializing built-in extension SYNC
Initializing built-in extension XKEYBOARD
Initializing built-in extension XC-MISC
Initializing built-in extension SECURITY
Initializing built-in extension XINERAMA
Initializing built-in extension XFIXES
Initializing built-in extension RENDER
Initializing built-in extension RANDR
Initializing built-in extension COMPOSITE
Initializing built-in extension DAMAGE
Initializing built-in extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
Initializing built-in extension DOUBLE-BUFFER
Initializing built-in extension RECORD
Initializing built-in extension DPMS
Initializing built-in extension X-Resource
Initializing built-in extension XVideo
Initializing built-in extension XVideo-MotionCompensation
Initializing built-in extension XFree86-VidModeExtension
Initializing built-in extension XFree86-DGA
Initializing built-in extension XFree86-DRI
Initializing built-in extension DRI2
Loading extension GLX
vesa: Ignoring device with a bound kernel driver

Fatal server error:
Cannot run in framebuffer mode. Please specify busIDs for all framebuffer devices

(EE)
Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
at http://wiki.x.org
for help.
(EE) Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
(EE)
Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
xinit: giving up
xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
xinit: server error

I guess its something that has to do with the configuration file in X11.conf.d but i really do not know which to edit..

Further help guys!!!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 2:15pm On Jan 16, 2013
do u have a LAN or a way to connect to the internet?

i suggest u try to install GDM

read that link i posted.

seems your video card is unable to start lightDM or the desktop.

i think u should try to install another DE.

BTW did u try to run that OS in Live CD mode? u should be able to run it as a live cd or liveusb. if it does not run, the .iso is bad
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 11:02pm On Jan 17, 2013
goldenboi: Here is also the output of the startx command when run in terminal:

root@Sniffer:/# startx

X.Org X Server 1.13.0
Release Date: 2012-09-05
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 3.2.0-26-generic i686 Ubuntu
Current Operating System: Linux Sniffer 2.6.32-42-generic #96-Ubuntu SMP Wed Aug 15 18:57:09 UTC 2012 i686
Kernel command line: root=UUID=b3914380-a6bc-42b7-aa88-f7e0675068cf ro quiet splash
Build Date: 08 October 2012 03:34:08PM
xorg-server 2:1.13.0-0ubuntu6 (For technical support please see http://www.ubuntu.com/support)
Current version of pixman: 0.26.0
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Wed Jan 16 12:39:55 2013
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
setversion 1.4 failed
Initializing built-in extension Generic Event Extension
Initializing built-in extension SHAPE
Initializing built-in extension MIT-SHM
Initializing built-in extension XInputExtension
Initializing built-in extension XTEST
Initializing built-in extension BIG-REQUESTS
Initializing built-in extension SYNC
Initializing built-in extension XKEYBOARD
Initializing built-in extension XC-MISC
Initializing built-in extension SECURITY
Initializing built-in extension XINERAMA
Initializing built-in extension XFIXES
Initializing built-in extension RENDER
Initializing built-in extension RANDR
Initializing built-in extension COMPOSITE
Initializing built-in extension DAMAGE
Initializing built-in extension MIT-SCREEN-SAVER
Initializing built-in extension DOUBLE-BUFFER
Initializing built-in extension RECORD
Initializing built-in extension DPMS
Initializing built-in extension X-Resource
Initializing built-in extension XVideo
Initializing built-in extension XVideo-MotionCompensation
Initializing built-in extension XFree86-VidModeExtension
Initializing built-in extension XFree86-DGA
Initializing built-in extension XFree86-DRI
Initializing built-in extension DRI2
Loading extension GLX

Fatal server error:
Cannot run in framebuffer mode. Please specify busIDs for all framebuffer devices

(EE)
Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
at http://wiki.x.org
for help.
(EE) Please also check the log file at "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
(EE)
Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
xinit: giving up
xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
xinit: server error

I guess its something that has to do with the configuration file in X11.conf.d but i really do not know which to edit..

Further help guys!!!

try running X -configure

it will generate a config file which you should rename to xorg.conf then copy/move to /etc/X11 folder (though you might want to backup the existing xorg.conf file there first)
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:09pm On Jan 18, 2013
blackweaver:

try running X -configure

it will generate a config file which you should rename to xorg.conf then copy/move to /etc/X11 folder (though you might want to backup the existing xorg.conf file there first)

unless im mistaken, he does not boot to ANY desktop.............

are u sure his terminal kung-fu is sound?

personally it just seems to me his install is bad, prolly from the .iso.

if not, then his hardware wont start the DM
Loading extension GLX

Fatal server error:
Re: Ubuntu Linux by stephenponti(m): 10:11pm On Jan 26, 2013
@all I JUST got first hand on Ubuntu os on my window pc side by side. what advantages does it offer against windows. Is there away of getting window exe programs to run on linux? Pls someone should guide me.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:06am On Jan 27, 2013
stephenponti: @all I JUST got first hand on Ubuntu os on my window pc side by side. what advantages does it offer against windows. Is there away of getting window exe programs to run on linux? Pls someone should guide me.

bro pls read the thread. at leask skim it
all ur questions are answered already.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:28am On Feb 05, 2013
How to Disable 'System Program Problem Detected' Errors in Ubuntu

Every now and then, a notification pops up saying "Ubuntu 12.04/12.10 has experienced an internal error" or "System Program Problem Detected" without actually causing any real troubles.

This has everything to do with Apport, a software error/crash reporting tool for Ubuntu (which is supposed to be in disabled state for stable releases). these errors have become more annoying for me. Disabling Apport permanently helped me solve this issue.

Hit Alt+F2 and type the following: gksu gedit /etc/default/apport

Press ENTER afterwards

then change value of "enabled" from 1 to 0 last line

Save and exit.

Do a system reboot. Everything should work fine from now on without those annoying errors
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ositadima1(m): 9:01am On Feb 05, 2013
hi all, I tried to boot ubuntu from cd and after it loading into memory I was asked for password. It's very strange in that I have booted ubuntu soccessfully before with the same cd on other laptops. Gurus in the house, any ideas what could cause this?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 11:08pm On Feb 05, 2013
4llerbuntu: How to Disable 'System Program Problem Detected' Errors in Ubuntu

Every now and then, a notification pops up saying "Ubuntu 12.04/12.10 has experienced an internal error" or "System Program Problem Detected" without actually causing any real troubles.

This has everything to do with Apport, a software error/crash reporting tool for Ubuntu (which is supposed to be in disabled state for stable releases). these errors have become more annoying for me. Disabling Apport permanently helped me solve this issue.

Hit Alt+F2 and type the following: gksu gedit /etc/default/apport

Press ENTER afterwards

then change value of "enabled" from 1 to 0 last line

Save and exit.

Do a system reboot. Everything should work fine from now on without those annoying errors

Isn't that a privilege-properties error? Instead of you disabling it by changing the enable value to zero that will prevent you from sending error messages to Ubuntu serve. Why not just do this:

1. gksu-properties.

2. Change 'Authentic mode' from su to sudo.

3. Change 'Grab mode' to disable.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by ositadima1(m): 11:44pm On Feb 05, 2013
I guess this a close group, thank you, I will figure it out. I do always...
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 11:48pm On Feb 05, 2013
ositadima1: I guess this a close group, thank you, I will figure it out. I do always...
Please, your question is not clear enough. Are you installing from the CD or just trying the OS from CD? what is your system configuration and the Ubuntu OS version?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (105) (106) (107) (108) (109) (110) (111) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.