Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,613 members, 7,816,518 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:31 PM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (117) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (464068 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (114) (115) (116) (117) (118) (119) (120) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 9:37am On Aug 08, 2013
Google hand of thief

Just like apple, linux malware is rearing its head

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 1:42pm On Aug 08, 2013
blackweaver:

are you serious or you're just trying to be funny?
oya tell us, what steps have you tried? posting on nl or any other forum doesn't count
what are you feeling like bro...shutdown man, I will just go thru the whole thread.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 9:48pm On Aug 08, 2013
beatsbug: what are you feeling like bro...shutdown man, I will just go thru the whole thread.

are you for real? why would you want to go through all that pain just to get that info when a simple google search will get you more than enough material, some much better than you could get on nl, say for instance you go to google and type install ubuntu on laptop blah blah blah ... That's the reason we aren't always as welcoming as you'd like us to be.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 6:56am On Aug 09, 2013
blackweaver:

are you for real? why would you want to go through all that pain just to get that info when a simple google search will get you more than enough material, some much better than you could get on nl, say for instance you go to google and type install ubuntu on laptop blah blah blah ... That's the reason we aren't always as welcoming as you'd like us to be.
nice one. Thanks man, sorry for earlier bust up from me

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 7:33am On Aug 09, 2013
u know something guys, i'm guessing a lot of people aren't as used to using google as we are so i'm suggesting instead of the customary "google is your friend" we actually tell them what terms to google for, we should be patient with these guys after all we weren't always so knowledgeable on these issues, i even remember a time (in the early days) i gave almighty 4llerbuntu a command to fix an issue - in quotes just to highlight the command - and was surprised to find out he typed the command WITH the quotes. Nowadays when Ashipa asks a question know he has crawled the web and not found the answer.
Jokes aside, remember ubuntu's one of the most popular linux distros 'cos the people in the forums try to be helpful; some one posts a question that has been answered b4 and people will search the forum to find similar threads and post the links. I think we can do no less. A lot of the people around here don't have our level of experience

2 Likes

Re: Ubuntu Linux by dljbd1(m): 8:28pm On Aug 10, 2013
Please, I'm having issues here Ooo. After installing on VBox, it asked to restart and I clicked continue, it later says that I should remove the disk and press enter, now it's on VBox, sup with the disc. I pressed enter anyway and it's not responding sef. Now trying to start all over again, the VBox hangs after I click continue to restart. What's next please?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by brightk(m): 9:37pm On Aug 10, 2013
dl_jbd: Please, I'm having issues here Ooo. After installing on VBox, it asked to restart and I clicked continue, it later says that I should remove the disk and press enter, now it's on VBox, sup with the disc. I pressed enter anyway and it's not responding sef. Now trying to start all over again, the VBox hangs after I click continue to restart. What's next please?

my guy get vmware workstation 9.0..its pretty cool.. abt 450mb.. am running ubuntu 12.04 lts, winxp, win2012server,n so other vms...win7 n other vm on my pc...
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:32am On Aug 11, 2013
dl_jbd: Please, I'm having issues here Ooo. After installing on VBox, it asked to restart and I clicked continue, it later says that I should remove the disk and press enter, now it's on VBox, sup with the disc. I pressed enter anyway and it's not responding sef. Now trying to start all over again, the VBox hangs after I click continue to restart. What's next please?

right now you are not making much sense.

calm down and try explaining clearly. installing on vbox is similar to installing on real hardware.

can u please explain in straight english what you are doing?

anyway for starters,
are you installing from a .iso or from a physical cd?

what version of ubuntu are u installing?

have u installed the guest additions addon to virtualbox?

the quality of answers u get is tied to the quality of questions u ask.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 8:43am On Aug 11, 2013
Recently installed enlightenment after seeing a colleague at work use it, it aint bad i use ubuntu 12.04 at work its quite annonying sadly i can,t just update to 13.04 because company don,t allow unstable release. sad
Re: Ubuntu Linux by dljbd1(m): 12:28pm On Aug 11, 2013
are you installing from a .iso or from a physical cd?
.iso

what version of ubuntu are u installing?
ubuntu 12.04

have u installed the guest additions addon to virtualbox?
I don't think so. How do I go about it?

I'm installing it on Oracle VM VBox. I got to the last stage to restart it and it ask that I remove the disc then press enter...it has not gone past this stage.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 5:08pm On Aug 11, 2013
dl_jbd: .iso
it has not gone past this stage.

just stop the vm, remove the iso (click on the cd icon, ther should be an option to eject or something similar )and start the vm again
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:59pm On Aug 11, 2013
or just go back to the settings page of that vm where u mounted the .iso and remove the .iso.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by dljbd1(m): 2:36am On Aug 12, 2013
brightk:

my guy get vmware workstation 9.0..its pretty cool.. abt 450mb.. am running ubuntu 12.04 lts, winxp, win2012server,n so other vms...win7 n other vm on my pc...

Mehn...I can't thank you enough. Downloaded VMware workstation and it just did everything automatically. It's the Ubuntu I'm using to post this at the moment. Gratitude guys. grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 6:58pm On Aug 12, 2013
`I got a new work computer and decided to run xfce since am already running kde on my personal computer. I installed mint xfce 15 (which imho is the best xfce implementation around) after all said and done. Here is my setup .. (of cause extensive use of conky for the time and system information all made to blend with the wallpaper.)

I have to say having used kde for close to 5 years.. xfce is a refreshing change. This thing is fast and even though I changed the compositor for compton (which gives a tear free experience) and also have some non lightweight config installed. The laptop just uses 200MB on startup with rhythmbox playing.. and everything is fast. snappy and very clean. I embodies the unix philosophy of KISS (keep it simple stupid).. I do miss out lots of features from kde though.. things like nepomuk (for analytic and search function) and akonadi which allows seamless PIM integration with google calendar, mail and address book allow a 2 way sync btw my android and phone hence I won't be leaving kde anytime soon. but I hope to keep xfce around as an alternative desktop for when am off work and just need something to play around with.

NB If you are into web development (java script, php, css and database manipulation.. and won't mind working in a Linux environment and also happen to live in abuja or won't mind relocating.. give me a buzz @bigbrovar on twitter.

Re: Ubuntu Linux by dljbd1(m): 8:36pm On Aug 12, 2013
bigrovar: `I got a new work computer and decided to run xfce since am already running kde on my personal computer. I installed mint xfce 15 (which imho is the best xfce implementation around) after all said and done. Here is my setup .. (of cause extensive use of conky for the time and system information all made to blend with the wallpaper.)

I have to say having used kde for close to 5 years.. xfce is a refreshing change. This thing is fast and even though I changed the compositor for compton (which gives a tear free experience) and also have some non lightweight config installed. The laptop just uses 200MB on startup with rhythmbox playing.. and everything is fast. snappy and very clean. I embodies the unix philosophy of KISS (keep it simple stupid).. I do miss out lots of features from kde though.. things like nepomuk (for analytic and search function) and akonadi which allows seamless PIM integration with google calendar, mail and address book allow a 2 way sync btw my android and phone hence I won't be leaving kde anytime soon. but I hope to keep xfce around as an alternative desktop for when am off work and just need something to play around with.

NB If you are into web development (java script, php, css and database manipulation.. and won't mind working in a Linux environment and also happen to live in abuja or won't min d relocating.. give me a buzz @bigbrovar on twitter.

mehn...I've got a lot to learn mehn sad
I'm so gon kill myself with these stuffs cool
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 1:11am On Aug 13, 2013
dl_jbd:

mehn...I've got a lot to learn mehn sad
I'm so gon kill myself with these stuffs cool

No compare urself with bigrovar o, d guy na 10yr veteran
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:13am On Aug 13, 2013
I think i read somewhere that the tearing issue on xfce is solved on mir...

Anyways personally i installed openbox on my pc.

Switch btw it and unity. That thinh is crazily fast.

50mb ram footprint. Processor is practically idle. I use it for playing wine games or wen i just need speed in my life

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by dljbd1(m): 1:58am On Aug 17, 2013
I must confess smiley, I'm really considering change my system OS completely from Windows to Ubuntu cool. Didn't know I have been wallowing in oblivion using Windows all my lifetime angry...Ubuntu is the light at the end of the tunnel grin and I need shades cos the light is kinda too bright right now cool. Guys, what do you suggest? I use a DELL N4050, i3, 500HHD, 4GB ram, 1GB dedicated graphic card...how would this perform ubuntuly? grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by brightk(m): 11:33am On Aug 17, 2013
dl_jbd: I must confess smiley, I'm really considering change my system OS completely from Windows to Ubuntu cool. Didn't know I have been wallowing in oblivion using Windows all my lifetime angry...Ubuntu is the light at the end of the tunnel grin and I need shades cos the light is kinda too bright right now cool. Guys, what do you suggest? I use a DELL N4050, i3, 500HHD, 4GB ram, 1GB dedicated graphic card...how would this perform ubuntuly? grin
4 me i dont like dual booting stuff. u ve got a nice pc spec.. get vmware work station and install ubuntu side by side..so u can actually boot ur windows and still run ur ubuntu os @ d same time.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 6:40pm On Aug 17, 2013
dl_jbd: I must confess smiley, I'm really considering change my system OS completely from Windows to Ubuntu cool. Didn't know I have been wallowing in oblivion using Windows all my lifetime angry...Ubuntu is the light at the end of the tunnel grin and I need shades cos the light is kinda too bright right now cool. Guys, what do you suggest? I use a DELL N4050, i3, 500HHD, 4GB ram, 1GB dedicated graphic card...how would this perform ubuntuly? grin

if you like sef get celeron 2.0ghz with 1gb ram and integrated graphics card, and 100gb hdd ubuntu will run on it
Re: Ubuntu Linux by zion32(m): 7:51pm On Aug 17, 2013
4llerbuntu: Hello gentlemen.

Something just occurred to me. I have not tried to setup a dualboot of win8 and ubuntu.

Probably never will for myself. Its not so much as an issue with windows but more of a total dislike for win8.

BUt there is a good chance I may be conscripted to do it for someone else.

Is there something I need to know beforehand esp with this secureboot etc shebang?

Or other quirks? If hate to be stuck
I have tried it and its working fine.My pc came with windows 8 peinstalled and now i have successfully dualbooted with ubuntu12.04 LTS.Two things are (1) disable secure boot (2) leave uefi mode enabled. with this two set in your bios you should be fine.The only PROBLEM is after installing ubuntu when you restart,it will take you straight to windows 8,To boot ubuntu restart and go to boot manager (on my hp 650 laptop i get there by pressing f9 ) you should now see your ubuntu partition,select it and grub 2 shows up.(you will need to do this everytime you want to boot to ubuntu.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by brightk(m): 9:47pm On Aug 17, 2013
zion32: I have tried it and its working fine.My pc came with windows 8 peinstalled and now i have successfully dualbooted with ubuntu12.04 LTS.Two things are (1) disable secure boot (2) leave uefi mode enabled. with this two set in your bios you should be fine.The only PROBLEM is after installing ubuntu when you restart,it will take you straight to windows 8,To boot ubuntu restart and go to boot manager (on my hp 650 laptop i get there by pressing f9 ) you should now see your ubuntu partition,select it and grub 2 shows up.(you will need to do this everytime you want to boot to ubuntu.

everytime ke.. dat one go tire me oo.. na jst 2 virtualize be d next option
Re: Ubuntu Linux by zion32(m): 9:37am On Aug 18, 2013
brightk:

everytime ke.. dat one go tire me oo.. na jst 2 virtualize be d next option
You wont have to do all does step every time just this--- ,*****To
boot ubuntu restart and go to boot
manager (on my hp 650 laptop i get there
by pressing f9 ) you should now see your
ubuntu partition,select it and grub 2
shows up.(you will need to do this
everytime you want to boot to ubuntu.****
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 11:16am On Aug 20, 2013
Blackberry Management http://www.netdirect.ca/software/packages/barry/installdebian.php

used to be linberry but projects have been merged.

this one works quite better too
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 5:05pm On Aug 20, 2013
Win8 bundled pc? God forbid bad thing
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:17pm On Aug 21, 2013
blackweaver: Win8 bundled pc? God forbid bad thing

grin grin grin

not much choice if ur buying a very new pc/laptop. some though actually bundle win 7 dvd with the laptops surprisingly
Re: Ubuntu Linux by kabayomi(m): 10:19pm On Aug 25, 2013
pls i'm new to linux...i deleted ubuntu partition frm win8 disk manahement tool...now i cant boot all i see is grub rescue....i tried google nd saw some few solu but i dont ave a cd drive.....i want to reinstall win bootloader but i dunno if dere iz a way of live booting win8 frm a usb stick..
pls help!!!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by olopan(m): 10:33pm On Aug 25, 2013
grin see ing guys here dey make me dey happy coz i tot i was the king of jungle before but now i have bow.....when pple see me coding some minor things around them always go dey call me guru like say i be don but really i love ubuntu/linux any flavour does me good just being undicedcives coz i wanna learn more of offensive penetrations and others like web design and is not that am a novice am way off of that i just want to knw the mint that suites my desire coz ultimate editions > blackbox .... does distro no make sense just figure head but thinking of using backtrack but want someone from experience to bail me out oooo!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by olopan(m): 10:36pm On Aug 25, 2013
kabayomi: pls i'm new to linux...i deleted ubuntu partition frm win8 disk manahement tool...now i cant boot all i see is grub rescue....i tried google nd saw some few solu but i dont ave a cd drive.....i want to reinstall win bootloader but i dunno if dere iz a way of live booting win8 frm a usb stick..
pls help!!!
.where that koboko dey juniour coz we have a scape goat
bro you screw up...oooo
to bail you out get ur win8 cd and do a lil bit of dos command line will be back with them only win7 own i knw win8 me not familiar with
Re: Ubuntu Linux by kabayomi(m): 10:45pm On Aug 25, 2013
bros abeg i no get cd drive...tis not working
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ciphoenix: 10:37am On Aug 26, 2013
kabayomi: pls i'm new to linux...i deleted ubuntu partition frm win8 disk manahement tool...now i cant boot all i see is grub rescue....i tried google nd saw some few solu but i dont ave a cd drive.....i want to reinstall win bootloader but i dunno if dere iz a way of live booting win8 frm a usb stick..
pls help!!!

Reinstall it with whatever media you used the first time.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by jideroland(m): 12:21pm On Aug 26, 2013
Step 1: create a bootable USB containing windows 8. boot your system from usb

Step 2: On the Install now screen, select Repair your
computer .

Step 3: On the next screen, choose Troubleshoot, followed
by Advanced options.

Step 4: From Advanced options, launch a command prompt
windows, and enter the following command:
bootrec.exe /fixmbr

Step 5: Once the command is finished, reboot your
computer the normal way, and Windows 8 should load just
fine now.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (114) (115) (116) (117) (118) (119) (120) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.