Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,586 members, 7,816,439 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:16 AM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (118) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (464064 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (115) (116) (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by kabayomi(m): 5:23pm On Aug 27, 2013
jideroland: Step 1: create a bootable USB containing windows 8. boot your system from usb

Step 2: On the Install now screen, select Repair your
computer .

Step 3: On the next screen, choose Troubleshoot, followed
by Advanced options.

Step 4: From Advanced options, launch a command prompt
windows, and enter the following command:
bootrec.exe /fixmbr

Step 5: Once the command is finished, reboot your
computer the normal way, and Windows 8 should load just
fine now.
Thanks bro but i dunno how to create a win 8 live cd.. Pls help
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:20am On Aug 28, 2013
kabayomi:

www.google.com = how to create a windows 8 live USB stick

works like magic
Re: Ubuntu Linux by jideroland(m): 7:59pm On Aug 28, 2013
kabayomi:

Use PowerIso. as someone said search Google for how to create boot able USB with poweriso.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by captalex(m): 9:23pm On Sep 05, 2013
Any Opensuse users on here?
Ubuntu was the first Linux distro to support the steam gaming platform but the unity environment has made Ubuntu bloated,defeating the K.I.S.S UNIX principle.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:44am On Sep 06, 2013
captalex: Any Opensuse users on here?
Ubuntu was the first Linux distro to support the steam gaming platform but the unity environment has made Ubuntu bloated,defeating the K.I.S.S UNIX principle.

hmnnn. and your point is?

I'm sure u read the thread caption?...........

effing troll
Re: Ubuntu Linux by captalex(m): 2:25pm On Sep 06, 2013
4llerbuntu:

hmnnn. and your point is?

I'm sure u read the thread caption?...........

effing troll

your comment goes a long way to show who the real troll is.i brought my own opinion on here and instead of you to reason with or disagree, you're talking down.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 8:30pm On Sep 06, 2013
captalex:

your comment goes a long way to show who the real troll is.i brought my own opinion on here and instead of you to reason with or disagree, you're talking down.

Not really i work with Unity i find it quite useful especially finding documents my system is cluttered however i do hate when it searches online or prompts me to add a unity dashboard app, had to switch to enlightenment distro for a while, i went for an OpenSuse meeting in Mauritius here, and i was impressed with what i saw.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by tapingil(m): 12:34am On Sep 11, 2013
hello house...pls is it possible to install ubuntu on a 1g 160g mini laptop without ,loosing everything i do have on it and would it affect the speed of the laptop... thanks
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 1:32pm On Sep 11, 2013
tapingil: hello house...pls is it possible to install ubuntu on a 1g 160g mini laptop without ,loosing everything i do have on it and would it affect the speed of the laptop... thanks

I have as for the not loosing anything create a seperate partition then boot from the usb and install in that, i dual booted window 7 and ubuntu from my mini, Google it and you will the article on how to achieve that
Re: Ubuntu Linux by oakcha(m): 2:52pm On Sep 11, 2013
tapingil: hello house...pls is it possible to install ubuntu on a 1g 160g mini laptop without ,loosing everything i do have on it and would it affect the speed of the laptop... thanks

You can install vmware and install your ubuntu on it, i have oracle linux,RHEL,ubuntu, solaris on my windows 7 system,

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:46pm On Sep 11, 2013
oakcha: tapingil: hello house...pls is it possible to install ubuntu on a 1g 160g mini laptop without ,loosing everything i do have on it and would it affect the speed of the laptop... thanks

[s]You can install vmware and install your ubuntu on it,[/s] i have oracle linux,RHEL,ubuntu, solaris on my windows 7 system,

on a one gig ram mini? no.

very bad advice
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 4:52pm On Sep 11, 2013
oops mine was 2gb ram sorry forgot to mention that, he can but he will have to use gnome-fallback-session or xfce
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 5:21pm On Sep 11, 2013
pc guru: oops mine was 2gb ram sorry forgot to mention that, he can but he will have to use gnome-fallback-session or xfce

i think 4ller was talking abt the guy suggesting that he use a vm, yeah ubuntu will install but might lag a bit at times, the dual boot method is better and won't affect the system speed. The vm option is invitation for frustration
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 5:37pm On Sep 11, 2013
blackweaver:

i think 4ller was talking abt the guy suggesting that he use a vm, yeah ubuntu will install but might lag a bit at times, the dual boot method is better and won't affect the system speed. The vm option is invitation for frustration
1gb for vm on a netbook, some1 needs to be flogged with serious cane

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by brightk(m): 5:54pm On Sep 11, 2013
pc guru:
1gb for vm on a netbook, some1 needs to be flogged with serious cane
lololllllllllllllllllll cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by roosebolton: 9:58am On Sep 14, 2013
captalex: Any Opensuse users on here?
we recently held a computer programing training for SS2 and JSS2 students. We used over 50 Raspberry Pi for the project and boy that experience made me realized just how bloated mainstream desktop Linux has become. U will not believe how fast lxde running openbox ran on a 700mhz 512 arm powered device the size of a credit card. We were able to complete our workshop using scratch to teach python and everything went smoothly. Indeed the Linux desktop got bloated in its quest for mainstream adoption. Some of this bloats were a necessary evil like things that enable auto detection from printers, to smartphone, modems (who still remembers the days of wvdial?) even monitor configurations has vastly improved from the days of manually editing xorg. However some other bloats are just aimed at beautification with little performance value.. Things like composition, Window manager shadows, desktop cubes might be pleasing to the eye but they don't bring anything substantial to the table beside eye candy.

On Opensuse, it's its a nice distros my issue with it is rpm and yum which can be frustratingly slow compared to apt get especially with our manage manage Internet. Beside, moving from Ubuntu to suse to avoid bloats is like moving from Borno to Katsina to avoid hot sun.. Suse default desktop is kde second to gnome 3. Neither of these win records for being light weight. My advise for u is to try x xUbuntu which uses xfce Window manager. It's what I now run on my pc (mint xfce) and it works like a dream.

2 Likes

Re: Ubuntu Linux by roosebolton: 10:02am On Sep 14, 2013
blackweaver:

u are very right. Even on a system with VT capable processor and >4gb of ram.. I never recommend virtualization except for testing purposes. A good dual boot is the way to go if u most have windows on ur system.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 7:32pm On Sep 14, 2013
My laptop has 8gb of RAM and a Core i7 processor. I have very limited use of windows these days, and so having windows 7 in a virtualbox instance is perfect for my use case, and as an added bonus, I don't have to choose a boot device every time I boot, or worry about UEFI issues whenever I reinstall or upgrade. But for most people, I agree with @roosebolton that Virtualization is not ideal.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by brightk(m): 8:44pm On Sep 14, 2013
virtualization rocks.... as long as u know how 2 use it.. but mind u get a good sys spec.. i am using 4gb ram on an intel core 2 duo laptop of 2.6ghz... and i am doing fine with running my win7 +linux+Mikrotik OS+ Winxp3.. i still run other os but becos of my ram and the resources i run on those stuff i just stick with at leat 2 tins powered on with my win7 as the host.there was a time i actually strected the capabilities of my pc...

it rocks....
Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 11:19pm On Sep 14, 2013
@roosebolton where did u get raspberry pi? how much does it cost? i think i won't mind trying it out.

By the way abt ur name are u into game of thrones the tv series or the song of ice & fire book series?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 7:46pm On Sep 15, 2013
I have a feeling that @roosebolton is @bigbrovar in disguise. Am I right?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by ciphoenix: 11:43pm On Sep 15, 2013
muyiscoi: I have a feeling that @roosebolton is @bigbrovar in disguise. Am I right?

Likely
Re: Ubuntu Linux by bigrovar(m): 9:23am On Sep 16, 2013
muyiscoi: I have a feeling that @roosebolton is @bigbrovar in disguise. Am I right?
ciphoenix:

Likely

No comment wink

blackweaver: @roosebolton where did u get raspberry pi? how much does it cost? i think i won't mind trying it out.
we did a bulk order which included 50 Pies (with 4GB SDCARD) 50 hdml to vga converter cables, and 50 USB to PS2 coverters (for PS2 Keyboards and mouse) In all I would say everything was close to 150K (including the absurd 90k we had to pay as import duty.. we didn't have a choice as DHL would not release our items even after assuring them that being a non profit org and a diplomatic enclave, their hold up almost derailed the workshop. so we had to grinned our teeth like stannis and pay)

By the way abt ur name are u into game of thrones the tv series or the song of ice & fire book series?
vala dohaeris
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:41pm On Sep 16, 2013
does anyone here know about this? http://www.webupd8.org/2013/09/cross-platform-android-x86-emulator.html

is it androvm renamed?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 10:23pm On Sep 16, 2013
bigrovar:

vala dohaeris

Vala morghulis
Re: Ubuntu Linux by jideroland(m): 11:47pm On Sep 17, 2013
mhysa mhysa mhysa
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:28pm On Sep 19, 2013
hey guys, remastersys got discontinued since april!!!

just got to know now.

if i were u i would install whilst we still can and back up the .debs just in case.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by roosebolton: 3:33pm On Sep 20, 2013
4llerbuntu: hey guys, remastersys got discontinued since april!!!

just got to know now.

if i were u i would install whilst we still can and back up the .debs just in case.

Some devs just can't help acting like tools used in peeing.. open source projects gets discontinued every time, the norm is to leave the project open incase anyone out there wants to take over the maintenance.. but noooo.. u have to close the repo and ask people to pay for the source..unfortunately the GPL does not restrict duchebag behavior while following the letters of the law. This is why I am always careful using open source projects that are essentially a one man show.. without an active community the bus factor is usually 1
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 11:15am On Sep 21, 2013
Haven't used remastersys in ages but I remember it as being pretty useful. I also remember some quite handy remasters I was able to get that saved from having to download lots of stuff back in the day. Sad to see it go. embarassed

(1) (2) (3) ... (115) (116) (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.