Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,569 members, 7,816,401 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:40 AM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (122) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (464060 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) (124) (125) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 6:49am On Jul 25, 2014
uzoexcel: is there any alternative to microsoft silverlight...i tried to stream skynews live on my lappy but its asking for microsoft silverlight..if i click on the link, it shows me a setup but in .exe form?

pipelight

m.itworld.com/software/414056/install-silverlight-alternative-pipelight-ubuntu-1404

Google is your friend u know.

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 10:10am On Jul 25, 2014
Should you by any chance be interested in going into ROM dev like i am you should look into: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2152398

takes the pain out of setting up dev environment to a large extent.

i guess we all know linux is the preferred platform for DEV.

none of that ported cygwin on windows rubbish. wink grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:21pm On Jul 25, 2014
this script should do it:

Re: Ubuntu Linux by uzoexcel(m): 9:08pm On Jul 27, 2014
lol...
its not like i havn been checkn for an alternative to silverlight...the one then available was monolight but after installation i couldnt still stream sky news..wasnt aware they had released pipelight...Thanks all the same and it worked well
cheers
4llerbuntu:

pipelight

m.itworld.com/software/414056/install-silverlight-alternative-pipelight-ubuntu-1404

Google is your friend u know.

Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 8:25am On Aug 07, 2014
Hi guys!
Its been a while since i've been on here, so I thought I should pop in and say hi!.
Some old cats like 4llerbuntu might remember me (or not grin).

Anyway, wanna bring to your attention this cool introduction to Linux course that has just started. Its free and sponsored by the Linux Foundation, so you know its legit. If you wanna learn more about Linux as a platform, or just want a certificate to validate your skills to your employer (or future employer), this is a neat way to do it.

Name verified certificates are not free though, but there is a free certificate option.

You can check it out here: https://www.edx.org/course/linuxfoundationx/linuxfoundationx-lfs101x-introduction-1621

3 Likes

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:03pm On Aug 07, 2014
hey muyiscoi.

how now? been ages

thanks for the link.

weird tho, the only part of that course that is new for me (not exactly new, but i never really learnt) is the advanced bash scripting part.
i'm not doing so badly grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by uzoexcel(m): 7:01pm On Aug 07, 2014
nice!!!!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by uzoexcel(m): 7:13pm On Aug 07, 2014
so so wrong
excel111: ubuntu does nt support partition wit win 7
Re: Ubuntu Linux by oprezy: 7:55pm On Aug 07, 2014
All call me back codes of all networks.you all already know the use of it so i've made a list of them.just follow the below link

[Tutorials] All call me back codes for all networks;MTN AIRTEL GLO,etc. @ from www.kinwap.com

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by JBNwaeze(m): 5:41pm On Aug 20, 2014
[color=#770077][/color]please am using a mini laptop with mandriva linux OS and wish to retrieve my password. Pls what's the way out, or how will I format it Cos it does not have CD-ROM .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by purplekayc(m): 7:43am On Aug 21, 2014
JBNwaeze: [color=#770077][/color]please am using a mini laptop with mandriva linux OS and wish to retrieve my password. Pls what's the way out, or how will I format it Cos it does not have CD-ROM .
you have 4gotten your password?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:56pm On Aug 22, 2014
JBNwaeze: [color=#770077][/color]please am using a mini laptop with mandriva linux OS and wish to retrieve my password. Pls what's the way out, or how will I format it Cos it does not have CD-ROM .

I basically don't believe you. I don't believe anyone with "I forgot my password stories". I call it BS.

I think u either have a stolen hardware with you,(u may not have stolen it yourself) or u just want to gain access to another person PC.

secondly, there is no mandrake OS really these days. the last release of mandrake was 2011. so have u been using this PC since 2011 or what? explain the disconnect here .....mmmm
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 2:06pm On Aug 22, 2014
but then info is free, and you could get this info online yourself if u simply googled instead of asking here.........

anyway for reference purpose for all I'd post how to for Ubuntu. don't know if it will work for mandrake.

First, you have to reboot into recovery mode .

If you have a single-boot (Ubuntu is the only operating system on your computer), to get the boot menu to show, you have to hold down the Shift key during bootup.

If you have a dual-boot (Ubuntu is installed next to Windows, another Linux operating system, or Mac OS X; and you choose at boot time which operating system to boot into), the boot menu should appear without the need to hold down the Shift key.

From the boot menu, select recovery mode , which is usually the second boot option.

After you select recovery mode and wait for all the boot-up processes to finish, you'll be presented with a few options. In this case, you want the Drop to root shell prompt option so press the Down arrow to get to that option, and then press Enter to select it.

In recent versions of Ubuntu, the filesystem is mounted as read-only, so you need to enter the follow command to get it to remount as read-write, which will allow you to make changes:

mount -o rw,remount /

If you have forgotten your username as well,

type

ls /home

That's a lowercase L, by the way, not a capital i , in ls. You should then see a list of the users on your Ubuntu installation.

To reset the password, type

passwd username

where username is the username you want to reset. In this case, I want to reset Ashipa's password, so I type

passwd ashipa

You'll then be prompted for a new password.

When you type the password you will get no visual response acknowledging your typing. Your password is still being accepted.

Just type the password and hit Enter when you're
done. You'll be prompted to retype the password. Do so and hit Enter again.

Now the password should be reset.

Type

exit

to return to the recovery menu.

After you get back to the recovery menu, select resume normal boot , and use Ubuntu as you normally would—only this time, you actually know the password!
Re: Ubuntu Linux by muyiscoi(m): 10:15pm On Aug 24, 2014
4llerbuntu: hey muyiscoi.
how now? been ages
thanks for the link.
weird tho, the only part of that course that is new for me (not exactly new, but i never really learnt) is the advanced bash scripting part.
i'm not doing so badly grin grin grin

Yeah. It's been quite a while. Glad to see you're still keeping the flag flying. I'll try to pop in more frequently now.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 8:22pm On Sep 01, 2014
How much partition should I devote to my Linux partition

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:07pm On Sep 02, 2014
iamDemigod: How much partition should I devote to my Linux partition

first things first, size of your drive?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 4:10pm On Sep 03, 2014
500gb
4llerbuntu:

first things first, size of your drive?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by ciphoenix: 9:03pm On Sep 03, 2014
iamDemigod: 500gb

That'll depend on purpose, what you'll be using it for.

If you work mostly with LLinux, feel free to dedicate as much memory as your other partition can allow. 140GB isn't a bad reference.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by mindtricks: 4:41pm On Sep 04, 2014
4llerbuntu , etall

Please how does installing Linux as a dual boot option affect the windows recovery partiton, will it still be intact or be lost?

Thanks.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 4:41pm On Sep 04, 2014
I just installed lubuntu on my old xp laptop! Still trynna get use to it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by dljbd1(m): 11:07am On Sep 05, 2014
iamDemigod: I just installed lubuntu on my old xp laptop! Still trynna get use to it
grin welcome!

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blackweaver(m): 8:51pm On Sep 05, 2014
mindtricks: 4llerbuntu , etall

Please how does installing Linux as a dual boot option affect the windows recovery partiton, will it still be intact or be lost?

Thanks.

as long as you don't overwrite / delete the recovery partition, i think you should be ok. That said, if your system came with win8 preinstalled, you might want to google up articles on installing Ubuntu on the model of your system - just to be on the safe side

1 Like

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 8:56pm On Sep 05, 2014
Why is it so difficult to install apps manually on Linux? Unlike windows exe easy installation.. Dz Linux sef cry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by blaxx: 10:22am On Sep 06, 2014
How do I install applications on my ubuntu?
Steps/ walkthrough please.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by brightk(m): 4:11pm On Sep 06, 2014
iamDemigod: Why is it so difficult to install apps manually on Linux? Unlike windows exe easy installation.. Dz Linux sef cry
its called dependency hell.. d last time i tried it... men nor be nice experience @ all....i was using virtual box which went smooth.. on installing vlc.. my virtual box stopped working..
Re: Ubuntu Linux by dljbd1(m): 4:33pm On Sep 06, 2014
Alright guys, here I am again. smiley

This thread has been helpful. I have developed a flare for Linux but I have been running everything(ubuntu and redhat) on workstation. So I wish to run it directly on my PC. Please a walk-through would be helpful at this point. Dual booting with Windows 7.
I use a Dell N4050/core i3/4gb ram/500gb hdd

Also, will all my drivers work properly? especially wireless driver.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by DanjaNinja(m): 10:40pm On Sep 06, 2014
Hi All,
Am new to Linux and Ubuntu. Thing is, i would like to acquire a professional certification on Linux (Sever, Systems Administration). Please, How can i achieve this? Additionally, what resources would i need and how much would it cost me for the official exam?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 7:00am On Sep 07, 2014
iamDemigod: Why is it so difficult to install apps manually on Linux? Unlike windows exe easy installation.. Dz Linux sef cry

And why are you trying to install apps manually?

The entire process is automated for ease...... Only very times u need manual install and when u do the deb files usually contain all it needs. Only manual install I've done in years is google chrome

If u have all the deb files/ dependencies downloaded, copy them into a folder right click in that folder and choose the "open in terminal" option. Then type this in the terminal

sudo dpkg -i *.deb

It will install all the debs in the folder, provided all dependencies are met

dljbd1: Alright guys, here I am again. smiley
This thread has been helpful. I have developed a flare for Linux but I have been running everything(ubuntu and redhat) on workstation. So I wish to run it directly on my PC. Please a walk-through would be helpful at this point. Dual booting with Windows 7.
I use a Dell N4050/core i3/4gb ram/500gb hdd
Also, will all my drivers work properly? especially wireless driver.

Run in on workstation? I don't understand. U mean in a virtual machine?

All your hardware drivers should work out of the box. There is a proprietary drivers installer that prompts you if u need to install other drivers, and it is automated too.

Search this thread or Google for dualbooting guides. It is a duplication of effort to start typing guide now. Sorry.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by dljbd1(m): 11:07am On Sep 07, 2014
4llerbuntu:

Run in on workstation? I don't understand. U mean in a virtual machine?

All your hardware drivers should work out of the box. There is a proprietary drivers installer that prompts you if u need to install other drivers, and it is automated too.

Search this thread or Google for dualbooting guides. It is a duplication of effort to start typing guide now. Sorry.

Yes virtual machine I meant. I used workstation 10 to run it.

About the installation procedure; very true. It is quite lengthy.
I am presently downloading Kali linux distro and plan to go on with the surgery grin this evening

I hope to write my next post on this thread from the Linux cool

I'll be back if I encounter any challenge. smiley I hope not.

Thanks.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 3:12pm On Sep 07, 2014
You won't encounter any problem, just be patient coz it takes about 30 mins or more to finish the whole installation

dljbd1:

Yes virtual machine I meant. I used workstation 10 to run it.

About the installation procedure; very true. It is quite lengthy.
I am presently downloading Kali linux distro and plan to go on with the surgery grin this evening

I hope to write my next post on this thread from the Linux cool

I'll be back if I encounter any challenge. smiley I hope not.

Thanks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by dljbd1(m): 4:26pm On Sep 07, 2014
iamDemigod: You won't encounter any problem, just be patient coz it takes about 30 mins or more to finish the whole installation

smileythanks
Re: Ubuntu Linux by dljbd1(m): 9:51pm On Sep 15, 2014
Yeah!!!
I'm back and better grin

Posting from my newly installed Kali Linux 1.0.9 dual-booted with Win7 Professional cool

Though it's been done for over a week but I've been having issues with the wireless adapter. Lucky stumbled on the solution today and waila cheesy...I could see wireless networks around. This so far is AWESOME! grin

More update coming!!! smiley wink cheesy grin cool

(1) (2) (3) ... (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) (124) (125) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.