Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,787 members, 7,820,757 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:00 PM

Ubuntu Linux - Computers (121) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Ubuntu Linux (464595 Views)

Using Fedora Or Ubuntu Linux / Using Mtn Modem On Ubuntu Linux / Using Ubuntu Linux As Internet Gateway (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (118) (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) (124) ... (175) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:47pm On Dec 16, 2013
captalex: Does any of you run Linux(SuSe,Ubuntu) on a macbook pro, and what are you experiences and like.

the bolded may just be the issue u see grin grin grin grin
Re: Ubuntu Linux by brightk(m): 12:52am On Dec 19, 2013
captalex: Does any of you run Linux(SuSe,Ubuntu) on a macbook pro, and what are you experiences and like.
i tink ur best bet is 2 get vmware fusion running on ur laptop.. btw was ur ram size
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:25am On Jan 03, 2014
POST BY JONO BACON ON G+

[/Quote]
Jono Bacon: 2013 was a phenomenal year for Ubuntu. It is difficult to believe that it was just a year ago today that we announced Ubuntu for phones.

Since then we have built and released the first version of Ubuntu for phones complete with core apps, delivered Mir in production on the phone, built a vastly simplified and more powerful new app delivery platform complete with full security sand-boxing, created a powerful smart scopes service to bring the power of native search and online content to devices, delivered a new SDK with support for QML, HTML5, and Scopes, built an entirely new developer.ubuntu.com, created extensive CI and testing infrastructure to ensure quality as we evolve our platform, shipped two desktop releases, extended the charm store, delivered Juju Gui, spun up multiple clouds with Juju, and much more.

In terms of Ubuntu for devices, I mentally picture 2013 as the year when we put much of the core foundational pieces in place. Everything I just mentioned were all huge but significant pieces of delivering a world-class Free Software convergence platform. Building this platform is not as simple as building a sexy GUI; there is lots of complex foundational work that needs doing, and I am incredibly proud of everyone who participated in getting us to where we are today...it is a true testament of collaborative development involving many communities and contributors from around the world.

So, 2013 was an intense year with lots of work, some tough decisions, and lots of late (and sometimes stressful) nights, but it laid down the core pillars of what our future holds. But what about 2014?

This time next year we will have a single platform code-base for phone, tablet, and desktop that adapts to harness the form-factor and power of each device it runs on. This is not just the aesthetics of convergence, it is real convergence at the code level. This will be complemented by an Ubuntu SDK in which you can write an app once and deliver it to any of these devices, and an eco-system in which you can freely publish or sell apps, content, and more with a powerful set of payment tools.

These pieces will appear one phase at a time throughout 2014. We are focusing on finishing the convergent pieces on phone first, then bringing them to tablet, and then finally bringing our desktop over to the new convergent platform. Every piece of new technology that we built in 2013 will be consumed across all of these form-factors in 2014; every line of code is an investment in our future.

Even more importantly though, 2014 will be the year when we see this new era of Ubuntu convergence shipping to consumers. This will open up Ubuntu to millions of additional users, provide an opportunity for app developers to get in on the ground floor in delivering powerful apps, and build more opportunity for our community than ever before.

I wish I could tell you that 2014 is going to be more relaxing than 2013. It isn't. It is going to be a roller-coaster. There are going to be some late nights, some stressful times, some shit-storms, and some unnecessary politics, but my goal is to help keep us working together as a community, keep us focused on the bigger picture, keep our discourse constructive, and to keep the fun in Ubuntu.

Let's do this.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by DevotedOne(m): 7:28pm On Jan 09, 2014
I wanted to know if anyone is running 'Apache Openoffice' 4.0.1. I'm having trouble installing it. I had it on Ubuntu 10, and it was no problem. I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 (precise), presently. It opens Archive Manager, then 'extracts' files, but I'm not able to use these files (??). What kind of problem is this?

http://www.openoffice.org/download/index.html (using text editor/word processor)

I am also interested in "Notetab Light" another text editor, but it needs 'wine' and when I checked 'synaptic package manager' there was several
packages named 'wine.' Which do I use? Or, should I install all of them??

http://www.notetab.com/notetab-light.php 'Linux in conjunction with Wine'

Thanks, in advance for your replies.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by DevotedOne(m): 9:39pm On Jan 09, 2014
Well, I couldn't wait I suppose. I found the answer to the Openoffice, problem Here: Problem Solved

The problem with Wine, will take a while to solve, I would think. Of course, any suggestions will be welcomed.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 11:07pm On Jan 09, 2014
Why not LibreOffice i used it at school and work, works well
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:17pm On Jan 10, 2014
DevotedOne: Well, I couldn't wait I suppose. I found the answer to the Openoffice, problem Here: Problem Solved

The problem with Wine, will take a while to solve, I would think. Of course, any suggestions will be welcomed.

There is an application called Libreoffice.

it comes pre-installed with Ubuntu. it works better than Openoffice or any other word processor native to linux.

it is also better supported. you are advised to stick to using this.

for text editors, there is an application called Gedit that comes pre-installed.

it does everything a proficient text editor does. its also native and well supported.

what does this notetab do thats so special?

Is there any special reason why these applications are not sufficient for your needs?

As for WINE, since your proficiency with the OS is limited i suggest you stay off it. unless the need is compelling i don't see why you need it. you probably cannot even configure it to work properly.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by DevotedOne(m): 3:58pm On Jan 10, 2014
Re: Ubuntu Linux by pc guru(m): 11:07pm On Jan 09
Why not LibreOffice i used it at school and work, works well

I use LibreOffice, but it was always acting up, it seems to me. I couldn't get use to it. I had suspected that this OS, Ubuntu 12.04, was not as proficient as Ubuntu 10.1(?). I had some new update packages (50), installed yesterday, and I'm using LibreOffice, today, and it does act a little differently now. I'll give it some more tests and then decide.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by DevotedOne(m): 4:31pm On Jan 10, 2014
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 1:17pm
There is an application called Libreoffice.

it comes pre-installed with Ubuntu. it works better than Openoffice or any other word processor native to linux.

it is also better supported. you are advised to stick to using this.

for text editors, there is an application called Gedit that comes pre-installed.

it does everything a proficient text editor does. its also native and well supported.

what does this notetab do thats so special?

Is there any special reason why these applications are not sufficient for your needs?

As for WINE, since your proficiency with the OS is limited i suggest you stay off it. unless the need is compelling i don't see why you need it. you probably cannot even configure it to work properly.

LibreOffice, and Apache Openoffice, I see as a matter of choice. I've used Openoffice, for years with MS windows, starting with 1.0.1, I would think. I've also used it with my previous Ubuntu upgrade, starting with Ubuntu 9.(?). I think LibreOffice takes a bit of getting use to. It's looking better today since updating, but it has given me plenty trouble in the past. For a while, I thought it had a mind of its own. It would shut down any time it wanted to, and I would have to start over again.
Gedit, I use regularly. I have no complaints, regarding it. Notetab, I've also used for years, with MS Windows. The thing is that, I have a different use for each editor. Openoffice, MS Works, I've always used for heavy writing/composition. Notetab, I prefer for copying, making notes, adding/trying code, etcetera.
I also, use AbiWord, but it has been troublesome as well, this time around.

Wine, I've found some information for, but I'm hesitant to go for it. I don't find Linux, to be friendly towards some type downloads. Synaptic package manager has several different wine packages. This site has one or two that I would be interested in. http://www.winehq.org/
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 10:16pm On Jan 10, 2014
pc guru: Why not LibreOffice i used it at school and work, works well
If you are looking for something close to Microsoft Office you should probably be talking about KINGSOFT Office.

[img]http://3.bp..com/-pnuQ5Ce2Jks/UaeXOgprXLI/AAAAAAAAE1w/Z3MZHMD3Gew/s1600/kingsoft_writer_ubuntu.png[/img]

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by uzoexcel(m): 12:41pm On Jul 03, 2014
or better still as devotedone said, u can still install ms word using wine....i installed ms office through wine recently and its quite alryte..not noticed any errors for now though i havnt tried with 'heavy' documents...seee a snapshot

[quote author=all4naija]If you are looking for something close to Microsoft Office you should probably be talking about KINGSOFT Office.

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 12:51pm On Jul 03, 2014
uzoexcel: or better still as devotedone said, u can still install ms word using wine....i installed ms office through wine recently and its quite alryte..not noticed any errors for now though i havnt tried with 'heavy' documents...seee a snapshot

Yes,MS Office can be installed using wine but it is not fully functional as you would expect on Windows. You'd find your saved files located in one of the wine folders as well. There are usually bugs report dialog popping up at times demanding for solutions. Not only that when but you do your updates you might experience some changes to the entire system that might affect it in the future.

MS office is not meant for Linux architecture all rather operating system. Wine has tried to provide good experience of Windows software by it is not as perfect as you would expect.

PlayOnLinux even does it better.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by uzoexcel(m): 4:33pm On Jul 05, 2014
my issue with play on linux as per in terms of installing ms office is that it doesnt allow one to install from a folder or a harddrive...It always wants/requests for the cd/cdrom of the setup
all4naija: Yes,MS Office can be installed using wine but it is not fully functional as you would expect on Windows. You'd find your saved files located in one of the wine folders as well. There are usually bugs report dialog popping up at times demanding for solutions. Not only that when but you do your updates you might experience some changes to the entire system that might affect it in the future.

MS office is not meant for Linux architecture all rather operating system. Wine has tried to provide good experience of Windows software by it is not as perfect as you would expect.

PlayOnLinux even does it better.

Re: Ubuntu Linux by geekybabe(f): 12:26pm On Jul 08, 2014
pls I am urgently in need of a red hat
Linux administration training in Lagos.
a one on one tutor or a classroom setting, anyone would do. pls send details of training and cost to
blackiemaj@gmail.com
thanks
or you could post a link to any website where I can find necessary info too.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by dazekid(m): 12:28pm On Jul 09, 2014
Please I need a link or ebook that teaches all there is to know about the linux line interface.Starting from a beginner level up.I would really appreciate it,also if there are pages in this thread where this has been discussed,you can also point me to them.Thanks.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 2:11pm On Jul 09, 2014
uzoexcel: my issue with plao on linux as per in terms of installing ms office is that it doesnt allow one to install from a folder or a harddrive...It always wants/requests for the cd/cdrom of the setup
I think that is one of the basic reasons why you get the best out of it than wine-installed.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by DevotedOne(m): 3:00pm On Jul 11, 2014
dazekid: Please I need a link or ebook that teaches all there is to know about the linux line interface.Starting from a beginner level up.I would really appreciate it,also if there are pages in this thread where this has been discussed,you can also point me to them.Thanks.

I've found these so far. Perhaps someone will add others. I hope these are what you are looking for, and are helpful.

http://linuxcommand.org/index.php

http://www.linfo.org/command_line_interface.html

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbxZzU0QwbU Foundation Tutorial for learning Linux based Operating Systems ( Command Line Interface )
Re: Ubuntu Linux by mindtricks: 8:38am On Jul 12, 2014
Guys, Ubuntu versus Mint which is preferable? How will Linux installation as alternative boot option, affect Win8 Recovery Partition?
Re: Ubuntu Linux by dazekid(m): 7:29pm On Jul 12, 2014
DevotedOne:

I've found these so far. Perhaps someone will add others. I hope these are what you are looking for, and are helpful.

http://linuxcommand.org/index.php

http://www.linfo.org/command_line_interface.html

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UsingTheTerminal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbxZzU0QwbU Foundation Tutorial for learning Linux based Operating Systems ( Command Line Interface )

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jul 14, 2014
Has anyone gotten the USB spectranet Dongle working for Ubuntu thanx
Re: Ubuntu Linux by jayceen: 8:19am On Jul 21, 2014
igwe4life: I have got some Ubuntu CDs available, if anybody is interested - holla me!

http://naijasense..com
yeah i am intrested i am based in lokoja kogi state.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by Toroze(m): 7:05pm On Jul 22, 2014
Please who knows blackberry manager for linux desktop
Re: Ubuntu Linux by 4llerbuntu(m): 8:13am On Jul 23, 2014
Toroze: Please who knows blackberry manager for linux desktop

its called "barry"

http://sourceforge.net/projects/barry/

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Blackberry%20Sync%20with%20Ubuntu
Re: Ubuntu Linux by uzoexcel(m): 12:56pm On Jul 23, 2014
nice...ll check it out when chanced
4llerbuntu:

its called "barry"

http://sourceforge.net/projects/barry/

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Blackberry%20Sync%20with%20Ubuntu
Re: Ubuntu Linux by uzoexcel(m): 12:58pm On Jul 23, 2014
i dont really get...my dvd/cdrom isnt alright and i havent replaced it since i rarely make use of it...is there any other way i can install via play on linux without using the cd rom?
all4naija: I think that is one of the basic reasons why you get the best out of it than wine-installed.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Toroze(m): 8:33pm On Jul 23, 2014
uzoexcel: nice...ll check it out when chanced
Thanks 4ller
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 11:35pm On Jul 23, 2014
uzoexcel: i dont really get...my dvd/cdrom isnt alright and i havent replaced it since i rarely make use of it...is there any other way i can install via play on linux without using the cd rom?
You can as do it through USB installation. By copying the Microsoft Office edition required by PlayonLinux to it and locate the setup file.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by uzoexcel(m): 12:01am On Jul 24, 2014
That's precisely wat I mean..is there a special way to me play on linux recognise my usb device
If free can u do a step by step instructional manual for me?
Regards
all4naija: You can as do it through USB installation. By copying the Microsoft Office edition required by PlayonLinux to it and locate the setup file.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by Nobody: 12:06am On Jul 24, 2014
uzoexcel: That's precisely wat I mean..is there a special way to me play on linux recognise my usb device
If free can u do a step by step instructional manual for me?
Regards
Yes it can! It's not like in Windows where Microsoft Office license is required. Just copy it to the USB. As long as the USB is recognized by your Ubuntu OS the MSO can be installed in PlayonLinux.

I don't have the time of posting step-by-step instruction procedure for that now. I would do that later for you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by uzoexcel(m): 2:52pm On Jul 24, 2014
i ll try when i get hold of a flash drive
all4naija: Yes it can! It's not like in Windows where Microsoft Office license is required. Just copy it to the USB. As long as the USB is recognized by your Ubuntu OS the MSO can be installed in PlayonLinux.

I don't have the time of posting step-by-step instruction procedure for that now. I would do that later for you.
Re: Ubuntu Linux by uzoexcel(m): 2:57pm On Jul 24, 2014
is there any alternative to microsoft silverlight...i tried to stream skynews live on my lappy but its asking for microsoft silverlight..if i click on the link, it shows me a setup but in .exe form?

1 Share

Re: Ubuntu Linux by misteri: 10:59pm On Jul 24, 2014
Please, I have issues with connecting my modem on Ubuntu. Can anyone help me out?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (118) (119) (120) (121) (122) (123) (124) ... (175) (Reply)

Inverter Users : Lets Have Your Experience / How To Hack Any Wifi Network Password Using Cmd / Huawei USB Modem Unlocker - Download Here!

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.