Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,685 members, 7,809,589 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:43 AM

Governor Obi Apprehends Tanker Driver Over Traffic Offence - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governor Obi Apprehends Tanker Driver Over Traffic Offence (7550 Views)

Fayose Arrests Road Safety Official For Traffic Offence / Ambode, LASTMA In Face-Off Over Traffic Gridlocks / Policemen In Delta Beat A Taxi Driver Over Refusal To Pay N100 Bribe(Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Governor Obi Apprehends Tanker Driver Over Traffic Offence by Nobody: 7:27pm On Jan 08, 2013
A PETROL tanker driver driving against the run of traffic, yesterday, in Onitsha received the shock of life as he cane to face with Governor Peter Obi along the ever busy Onitsha-Owerri federal highway.

Obi, who was on official duty at the time of the incident, personally intercepted the lorry with number plate ENUGU XY260 ENU and other vehicles following it behind.

Typical of Onitsha residents, many people abandoned their businesses and gathered to witness the development, while other vehicles also driving against the flow of the traffic turned back, thereby causing more traffic jam in the area.

The governor, who repeated his earlier warning to motorists and other road users going against the traffic, described the practice as barbaric, adding that it was capable of causing multiple accidents on the road.

He made it clear that going against traffic often constituted serious threat to other road users with the attendant traffic congestion.

He charged security operatives to be alive to their responsibilities to ensure that nobody drove against the traffic on any road in the state.

….Assures flood victims of support

AWKA-VARIOUS communities in Anambra State affected by last year's flood that ravaged many states in the country have started counting their losses, even as the state governor, Mr. Peter Obi has been assuring them of government support.

Eight local government areas in the state were affected by the flood, with two, Ogbaru and Anambra West, totally submerged.

As the people returned to their various communities after the flood, they came face to face with the reality of the damage done by the flood.\

Most of the houses, schools, local government headquarters and domestic animals were completely destroyed.

Though the 57 communities affected have received N57 million cash and other materials, including farming implements, from the state government to enable them resettle, they have continued to cry that what they lost was so much to bear.

However, Governor Obi, who has been visiting the communities with the materials and cash, has continued to assure them that they would not be abandoned.

Interacting with the people of Umuikwu Anam in Anambra West local government which was totally submerged during the flood, Obi announced that the state government would commence immediate rebuilding of water schemes destroyed by the flood in the area.

He argued that it was important to give them regular clean water in view of the terrain of the area.

He also explained that government would soon start emergency repairs of Anam-Nzam-Kogi State road which, though was almost being completed, was devastated by the flood.

source: http://odili.net/news/source/2013/jan/8/322.html

1 Like

Re: Governor Obi Apprehends Tanker Driver Over Traffic Offence by Redmosquito(m): 9:25pm On Jan 08, 2013

Obi, who was on official duty at the time of the incident
official duty heh! grin grin grin grin
Re: Governor Obi Apprehends Tanker Driver Over Traffic Offence by norrisman: 9:25pm On Jan 08, 2013
Do Governors really have the power to arrest/apprehend. Do you ever wonder why we never hear of stories of MPs in the UK or Governors in the US arresting people? Because they have no such power. The governor is not different from me ad you and has absolutely no power to arrest/apprehend anyone.

2 Likes

Re: Governor Obi Apprehends Tanker Driver Over Traffic Offence by presegsADESIDA(m): 9:25pm On Jan 08, 2013
keep it up
Re: Governor Obi Apprehends Tanker Driver Over Traffic Offence by victorazy(m): 9:34pm On Jan 08, 2013
norrisman: Do Governors really have the power to arrest/apprehend. Do you ever wonder why we never hear of stories of MPs in the UK or Governors in the US arresting people? Because they have no such power. The governor is not different from me ad you and has absolutely no power to arrest/apprehend anyone.

I think you should go back to US or UK to stay.
Why wount Gov arest someone, are they not human. Why are u asking GEJ to perform?

4 Likes

Re: Governor Obi Apprehends Tanker Driver Over Traffic Offence by Leboska(m): 9:36pm On Jan 08, 2013
i pray it continues.
Re: Governor Obi Apprehends Tanker Driver Over Traffic Offence by slimfit1(m): 9:37pm On Jan 08, 2013
norrisman: Do Governors really have the power to arrest/apprehend. Do you ever wonder why we never hear of stories of MPs in the UK or Governors in the US arresting people? Because they have no such power. The governor is not different from me ad you and has absolutely no power to arrest/apprehend anyone.

Brother I totally understand you people in this country don't no there job discription so expect people clueless people to attack you.
Re: Governor Obi Apprehends Tanker Driver Over Traffic Offence by imeller: 9:39pm On Jan 08, 2013
Leave them Until 1 Terry G go free style Madness on them 1 day. Mtschhew
Re: Governor Obi Apprehends Tanker Driver Over Traffic Offence by salam001(m): 9:42pm On Jan 08, 2013
If he likes let him catch 15 aeroplanes,Obi still remain clueless and slow,i dont even know why they made an effeminate sissy man the governor of a great state,He just wants to be relevant

2 Likes

Re: Governor Obi Apprehends Tanker Driver Over Traffic Offence by Nobody: 9:42pm On Jan 08, 2013

Actually, anyone can conduct what is known as a "citizens arrest" if they witness a crime going on and there are exigent reasons to act.

6 Likes

Re: Governor Obi Apprehends Tanker Driver Over Traffic Offence by Coldfeet(f): 9:44pm On Jan 08, 2013
BRB

2 Likes

Re: Governor Obi Apprehends Tanker Driver Over Traffic Offence by Nobody: 9:45pm On Jan 08, 2013
slim fit :

Brother I totally understand you people in this country don't no there job discription so expect people clueless people to attack you.

I think Governors have the power, under d constitution, to make arrests. But they (Governors) should handover the suspect(s) to the Police. Regular citizens can also make such arrests.
Re: Governor Obi Apprehends Tanker Driver Over Traffic Offence by WizPrince1(m): 9:47pm On Jan 08, 2013
The Governor Did The Right Thing... When Someone Violates the law/rules he/she needs to be apprehended/arrested so that others will take the correction and next time someone won't do such a thing.
Re: Governor Obi Apprehends Tanker Driver Over Traffic Offence by aribisala0(m): 9:47pm On Jan 08, 2013
Don't know if citizen's arrests extend to traffic offences. I am sure the Governor would have police in his party who can make arrests anyway.He does nor need physically to do it himself.
I remember Jack Straw making an arrest years ago smiley

1 Like

Re: Governor Obi Apprehends Tanker Driver Over Traffic Offence by aribisala0(m): 9:48pm On Jan 08, 2013
CFCfan:

I think Governors have the power, under d constitution, to make arrests. But they (Governors) should handover the suspect(s) to the Police. Regular citizens can also make such arrests.
No you guessed which is quite a different activity from THINKING. It is either they have or do not have the power. I think they do not have such powers under the constitution. Such powers as accrue to ordinary citizens eg apprehending a thief are NOT constitutional powers but Common Law powers.
Re: Governor Obi Apprehends Tanker Driver Over Traffic Offence by Nobody: 9:50pm On Jan 08, 2013
good move.
Re: Governor Obi Apprehends Tanker Driver Over Traffic Offence by jadakiss213(m): 9:57pm On Jan 08, 2013
as a governor,he has wide ranging powers..in any case,he's the Chief security Officer of the state..u are just an ordinary citizen jawe

2 Likes

Re: Governor Obi Apprehends Tanker Driver Over Traffic Offence by Mathewjoseph: 9:58pm On Jan 08, 2013
Na wao.hmmmm
Re: Governor Obi Apprehends Tanker Driver Over Traffic Offence by SamConquer(m): 10:00pm On Jan 08, 2013
Gov.peter obi don turn POLICEthe tanker driver 4 cover him faze slap jor...MTCHEW#continue drinking my ALOMO BITERZ and RAW EGG#
Re: Governor Obi Apprehends Tanker Driver Over Traffic Offence by Nobody: 10:01pm On Jan 08, 2013
aribisala0: No you guessed which is quite a different activity from THINKING. It is either they have or do not have the power. I think they do not have such powers under the constitution. Such powers as accrue to ordinary citizens eg apprehending a thief are NOT constitutional powers but Common Law powers.

Oga, thanks for the semantic lesson/correction.
Re: Governor Obi Apprehends Tanker Driver Over Traffic Offence by GEJPFOOD: 10:05pm On Jan 08, 2013
Obiageli in action! I love that her voice, very seductive
Re: Governor Obi Apprehends Tanker Driver Over Traffic Offence by 360degree(m): 10:06pm On Jan 08, 2013
I think gov are said to be chief security officer of their respective state. By this they are seem to part of enforcement agencies n they can maintain law n order directly or indirectly. In fact I would want to believe that the duty of maintaining law n order is
not only on security agencies but also that of citizenry indirectly.
Re: Governor Obi Apprehends Tanker Driver Over Traffic Offence by ba7man(m): 10:11pm On Jan 08, 2013
Some Nigerians will never learn until they are treated like "beasts of burden".
Re: Governor Obi Apprehends Tanker Driver Over Traffic Offence by aribisala0(m): 10:17pm On Jan 08, 2013
CFCfan:

Oga, thanks for the semantic lesson/correction.
You are welcome,no charge whatsovever
Re: Governor Obi Apprehends Tanker Driver Over Traffic Offence by aribisala0(m): 10:19pm On Jan 08, 2013
People continue to throw this phrase "chief security officer " about is it mentioned in our constitution anywhere. I would like to learn
Re: Governor Obi Apprehends Tanker Driver Over Traffic Offence by makaveli1(m): 10:19pm On Jan 08, 2013
salam001: If he likes let him catch 15 aeroplanes,Obi still remain clueless and slow,i dont even know why they made an effeminate sissy man the governor of a great state,He just wants to be relevant

LMAO!! “effeminate sissy man”, I kinda agree with that, peter Obi is GEJ's CLONE....
Re: Governor Obi Apprehends Tanker Driver Over Traffic Offence by danniekute(m): 10:26pm On Jan 08, 2013
ndi ochongonoko:mek una carry dat una animalistic oyibo(wanna be) mentality go shidon.if d gov.sees dat and didnt take action,u wil be d 1st to cry wolf.ndi asiri gbakute...Peter d rock...u rock big time nwanne..
Re: Governor Obi Apprehends Tanker Driver Over Traffic Offence by TableLeg(m): 10:28pm On Jan 08, 2013
I think the whole sh/it was staged ... I dont believe this nonsense
On official duty indeed ...

1 Like

Re: Governor Obi Apprehends Tanker Driver Over Traffic Offence by Hadone(m): 10:28pm On Jan 08, 2013
THIS ROAD SAFETY ABI VIO GOVERNOR IS WORKING HARD TO MAINTAIN TRAFIC REGULATIONS IN HIS STATE. HAD IT BEEN HE'S PUTTING AN EYE ON PUBLIC FUNDS THE WAY HE'S DOING SAME ON MOTORISTS, HIS STATE WOULD HAVE CHANGED NAME BY NOW.
Re: Governor Obi Apprehends Tanker Driver Over Traffic Offence by danniekute(m): 10:29pm On Jan 08, 2013
aribisala0: People continue to throw this phrase "chief security officer " about is it mentioned in our constitution anywhere. I would like to learn
wia are u from sef..Somalia i guess.
Re: Governor Obi Apprehends Tanker Driver Over Traffic Offence by danniekute(m): 10:30pm On Jan 08, 2013
360degree: I think gov are said to be chief security officer of their respective state. By this they are seem to part of enforcement agencies n they can maintain law n order directly or indirectly. In fact I would want to believe that the duty of maintaining law n order is
not only on security agencies but also that of citizenry indirectly.
you are on point...

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

10 Most Urbanized States In Nigeria.... / Rochas Okorocha A Man With An Evil Agenda / Questions every Nigerian should answer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.