Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,190 members, 7,811,485 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 12:53 PM

How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? (5266 Views)

Pictures Of Obj In Senegal / "leave Our Country", Protesters Tell Obj In Senegal / Atiku Skips OBJ In His Protocol List At Yar'Adua's Memorial Lecture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by kunlekunle: 10:13am On Jan 09, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
That was then and the "king makers" from the north (lead by Abdusalam, the then head of state) plus rigging made that possible. In 2011, it was one-man-one-vote

its like you are from TOGO/
In nigeria its one man one naira and one vote , if its false ask GEJ
Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by BarryX(m): 10:25am On Jan 09, 2013
Let's say he is still important to those who still respect for him, As for Nigeria political space and who controls it ,Obasanjo is no more a ''strong'' force to reckon with, just heard in the news this morning that the PDP NEC meeting ended up in a deadlock, that could be attributed to political streamlining occassioned by the free hand promoted by GEJ, Where no single political figure whims and caprices holds sway. Abeg make them do wetin concern them..important things on my mind jare!
Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by kingEmperor: 10:25am On Jan 09, 2013
yeah,...he is still relevant in some ways
Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by smsgold: 10:46am On Jan 09, 2013
Burger01: Take it or leave it..baba is relevant till his dying days.
you r damn right
Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by onatisi(m): 10:52am On Jan 09, 2013
HATE HIM OR LOVE HIM BABA REMAINS A NATIONAL KINGMAKER ,IF HE ISNT RELEVANT WE WONT EVEN BE TALKING ABOUT HIM TALK LESS OF DISCUSSING HIS RELEVANCE .
Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by Afolabs101: 10:59am On Jan 09, 2013
dayokanu: OBJ is irrelevant in the SW. Tinubu is the SW powerbroker,

But OBJ is relevant in the National politics as he has a lot of bigwigs in PDP who are loyal to him

Exactly! ACN has shut down SW so Obj better go and concentrate on National politics. I believe Ahmadu Ali was his candidate so he still does have some power mostly due to the return on investment, I.e. while you're in office you dole out a lot of political patronage, when you leave you expect to collect on the return. A favour for a favour.
Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by dady12: 11:14am On Jan 09, 2013
i
dey laugh in spainish habahaba,for those calling on obj as an old man whose
days are over are not politicians,look,as far as pdp and naija politics
is concern,obj is a figure even in international level,one thg in
politics is 'secret'who is ahmedu alli and who is obj,?some of u will
see thgs very clear prior to 2015,dont you knw that obj ve his own party
loyalist among the governors and reps? a minutes in politics can be
disastrous if you know what i am talking about,i ve been in politics
for long to understand all this,let us sit and watch the way they ,
obj,atiku,ibb,buhari and many more are watching,but GEJ will be in
trouble in 2015 from the look of thgs if ahmedu alli was really the
duly appointed bot chairman
Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by basty: 11:19am On Jan 09, 2013
If GEJ undermine the Political influence of OBJ, he should forget about 2015. Insha Allah.
What you guys dont know is, OBJ and the Northern Oligarchy are working against GEJ comes 2015.
Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by merengue: 11:23am On Jan 09, 2013
CHESSBOARD: He is irrelevant both in SW and in Nigerian politics , [b]just like all SWers are now irrelevant [/b]in National Politics.... President, VP, Senate President, VSP, Leader House of Rep , Deputy leader HoR, PDP BOT, PDP SEC, PDP Chairman, Gov forum chairman etc....where is a Yoruba Man in these positions, they r local champions just like Tinubu cool

O boy, you daft no be small. What powers does the chairman of Governors' Forum wield exactly? What powers to change, control or influence anything do the Deputy Senate President, Deputy Speaker of the House of Rep, Majority Leader, House of Rep, e.t.c. have ? S.E had Senate Presidency for 8 years, what did it bring to the region? David Mark has been Senate President for two terms now; of what benefit has it been to the Idoma people? As PDP BOT chairman, what did Mr Fix-It bring to Edo state apart from S.T.B? (apologies to Abami Eda). I hear there is going to be a clearance sale on intelligence today at Oshodi, please avail yourself of the opportunity to purchase some much needed grey matter.
Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by Gbawe: 11:26am On Jan 09, 2013
truth4meal: if sincerely he has lost his sting you and your paymasters won't lose sleep over him - I think that is a fair equation. Abati woke up dis morning to rant on twitter over a man that has lost his sting abi? You are here fooling ursef over a man that has lost his sting abi? GEJ is just building a solid foundation for his own downfall - watch out!!!

100% correct. Insecure9gerian is just petrified because he sees the writing on the wall. Let GEJ gain the PDP ticket if he can and then we will accept OBJ is not relevant in today's politics. Many Nigerians are simply too emotional and too devoted to personalities to see what matters. It is not for nothing the PDP is often called a "Northern Party". Democracy, regardless of how sentimental folks want to get, remains a game of numbers. The North is aggrieved because of the open treachery of GEJ. He has lost even the so-called moderates like Aliyu. In a Country like Nigeria, even with the proclivity of many towards sentiments above sense, it should still be obvious that it is dangerous for GEJ and his camp to lose everyone but his own SS , politically, only to then rely on carrying the day with bullying and cash inducement. His imposition, Bamanga Tukur, is in serious trouble as we speak. The Governors are against Tukur and, by extension, GEJ.

My view is that whether some like it or not, whether they even accept it, the North has numerical strength. Get them out of Nigeria first before talking childishly and emptily about "aboki will not rule for the next 50 years" based on some misplaced over-estimation of the power of the Nigerian President. OBJ realises this and has quickly dissociated himself from GEJ's treachery to now align himself with the ambition of the North. It is an ambition that the political establishment , whatever is said in public, considers 'just and equitable'.

Long gone is the sympathy GEJ enjoyed from powerful political stakeholders, not Nigerians - like me and you - impotent at Party level, who previously considered he was being bullied by the "born to rule" North. What the political movers and shakers now see is a hypocritical President no different to others with how he is reneging on a pledge he made to lead for one term. He has also become a "born to rule" disciple and the establishment tend to be automatic in resisting such folks. The current actions of OBJ, i.e pretending to distance himself from the treachery of GEJ to now don the toga of reparation, 'rejuvenates' him in the context of events today and the battle ahead.

Many, too sentimental to ever think critically or pragmatically, do not understand that the Presidency remains a potent tool in so far as support base is good or even average. The Presidency quickly wilts in potency when it is occupied by a treacherous man who has trampled on the notion of "honour amongst thieves" to the extent many , whether radical or moderate, are now opposed to him. GEJ's ambition, like OBJ's third term bid, unifies all to stand against him. I personally would advise GEJ to note the signs and refrain from disgracing himself. All in all, wetin consign me? I am just enjoying the show - and it will be a very good show watching GEJ attempting to gain the PDP ticket. The critical factor is that GEJ is no longer seen as meek or humble. He can't 'blindside' with that any longer.

http://saharareporters.com/news-page/bamanga-tukur%E2%80%99s-days-pdp-chairman-numbered-10-nwc-members-rise-against-him

Bamanga Tukur’s Days As PDP Chairman Numbered, As 10 NWC Members Rise Up Against Him
Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by juman(m): 12:18pm On Jan 09, 2013
CrazyMan: Having read your article, I can draw a conclusion that Obj is just an old frustrated man waiting to kick the bucket anytime soon..

Kick the bucket and kick the bottle. grin grin
Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by juman(m): 12:19pm On Jan 09, 2013
dayokanu: OBJ is irrelevant in the SW. Tinubu is the SW powerbroker,

But OBJ is relevant in the National politics as he has a lot of bigwigs in PDP who are loyal to him
^^^^
Sincere 9gerian:
See contradictions oh! Someone is irrelevant in his political base (southwest) but relevant in my home state (Anambra), Imo or Borno.
I no fit laugh I beg!

grin grin
Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by pat077: 12:41pm On Jan 09, 2013
@op, na u dey ask question, na u self dey answer ham. Wetin?
Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by AdeniyiA(m): 12:55pm On Jan 09, 2013
OBJ is experiencing what i call Diminishing Political Relevance (DPR)
Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by Gbawe: 1:01pm On Jan 09, 2013
pat077: @op, na u dey ask question, na u self dey answer ham. Wetin?

You have just described the actions of a very frightened man trying to talk tough to mask how he is totally petrified. Insecure9gerian is scared stiff. His fear, and the pathetic attempt to disguise it, is palpable.

I would be afraid too if I am supporting a man who has alienated everyone, with his treachery, to the extent his supporters are now left to pretend he can perform miracles with the Presidency. Ol boy, na igbadun we dey from now on because the "nest of killers" will give us a very entertaining show with their "do or die" antics. Abeg, someone pass the guguru. grin grin grin grin
Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by Mowire: 1:26pm On Jan 09, 2013
@sincere9jrian &co, you guys are totally incompetent at what you've set out for. You presently lack the political tact to build a power block within PDP. If care is not taken GEJ will end up as the most irrelevant ex-president in nigeria's history ever, worse than Sonekan.
OBJ was absent at PDP BoT meeting yesterday & the meeting ended inconclusive. Note
Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by phabouluz(m): 2:03pm On Jan 09, 2013
Can't Nigerians leave dis baba alone, if he's ur father na so una go dey dsturb am. Awon omo tio leko.Like him or hate him he's human & fallible like all of us except that he's fortunate than most nigerians are.
Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by truth4meal(m): 2:37pm On Jan 09, 2013
Do a census of the pulse of the people through this thread and tell your paymaster that he is alone in thought that OBJ is irrelevant. And tell GEJ that his relevance is speedily ebbing
Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by Gbawe: 3:06pm On Jan 09, 2013
Mowire: @sincere9jrian &co, you guys are totally incompetent at what you've set out for. You presently lack the political tact to build a power block within PDP. If care is not taken GEJ will end up as the most irrelevant ex-president in nigeria's history ever, worse than Sonekan.
OBJ was absent at PDP BoT meeting yesterday & the meeting ended inconclusive. Note

Thank you. I can also comfortably tell you that the total incompetence you accuse Insecure9gerian of will persist for a while because him and others of his ilk suffer from emotional clannishness to the unhealthy level that blinds them from seeing what is obvious. I was shocked at the lack of Political sophistication of some on NL with how they began insulting and taunting "aboki" and "Yarobuus" as soon as GEJ was sworn in. They suggested GEJ should deliberately marginalise and "punish" the SW in a show of open ethnic malevolence. These people began talking as if GEJ became President without the North and the SW. They could not even be bothered to note the especially critical role so called moderate Northern Governors played to support GEJ despite the serious flak they received at home for dumping Atiku. Self-serving those Governors may have been but they stuck their neck out nonetheless.

Rather than for some to show adult intelligence, good grace, an appreciation of political pragmatism and simple gratitude, they decided to sate clannishness and old feelings of vendetta by ethnicising the Presidency and taunting others that they will not see power for the next 50 years as if GEJ is some superman who will simply use the Presidency to neutralise the numerical advantage others have.

What we saw on Nairaland played out on the ground with many ethnicising the Presidency and alienating others using totally myopic and needless sabre rattling against the North and SW that was always going to be self-destructive. A competent Nigerian Court finds AL Mustafa guilty and all of a sudden, that is interpreted as a Yoruba attempt to bring down GEJ. Fuel subsidy protests, over a decision that hit the pocket of every Nigerian, was suddenly A Yoruba/Hausa/Fulani plot to fight GEJ The clannishness was too much and simply unhelpful to the President encouraging it when it suited him without the vision to note that he will suffer from the image of divisiveness his Presidency was attaining.

Common sense should have made some question how that method can bear fruit. I.e failing to build bridges only to use the Presidency as an ethnic tool of vendetta against others. Look at Asari-Dokubo who shouted about "Ijaw must enjoy two terms" yesterday. What is he saying today now that push has come to shove and some are beginning to realise that childish and uninformed braggadocio amounts to nothing when the real process begins? As I said earlier, the "meek and humble" image that gave GEJ so much goodwill is gone. Let him gain the PDP ticket ojare. I am not a betting man but I would hazard that GEJ will get the treatment he dished out to Sylva from the PDP 'big boys'. Some will show him who 'owns' the Party same as he showed Sylva he is the King of Bayelsa. Ultimately, as many concluded during the zoning debacle, "it is a PDP affair". The thing no consign us. The rest of us should just enjoy the show.

2 Likes

Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by musiwa11: 3:10pm On Jan 09, 2013
I discovered I have influence on nigeria politics , even northerners are using my name to run for election. guess who run the large political network in nigeria.. nation give to nation.

[img]http://2.bp..com/-hBf0N3fOSMY/TwNInKiAYcI/AAAAAAAAA80/Q49ZgVaDBQA/s640/Poorwilleasttherich.jpg[/img]

[img]http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg620/scaled.php?tn=0&server=620&filename=ut6to%252525252Ejpg%2525252526amp%252525253Bxsize%252525253D640%2525252526amp%252525253Bysize%252525253D640[%252525252F[%252Fimg]

[img]http://previous.presstv.ir/photo/20120114/h.sharifi20120114000509030.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.dailystar.com.lb/dailystar/Pictures/2012/05/30/74229_mainimg.jpg[/img]
Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by onatisi(m): 3:26pm On Jan 09, 2013
truth4meal: Do a census of the pulse of the people through this thread and tell your paymaster that he is alone in thought that OBJ is irrelevant. And tell GEJ that his relevance is speedily ebbing

grin baba still dey kampee
Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by juman(m): 3:57pm On Jan 09, 2013
onatisi:

grin baba still dey kampee

At close to 80 years old, he still struggling for relevancy after ruled as head of state for three years and president for eight years?

That's not a good way of life anybody should wish for.
Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by onatisi(m): 4:10pm On Jan 09, 2013
juman:

At close to 80 years old, he still struggling for relevancy after ruled as head of state for three years and president for eight years?

That's not a good way of life anybody should wish for.
he is not struggling ,only keeping his ground.dont worry just watch as events play out .
Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by EkoIle1: 4:16pm On Jan 09, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
See contradictions oh! Someone is irrelevant in his political base (southwest) but relevant in my home state (Anambra), Imo or Borno.
I no fit laugh I beg!

The fact that you are this troubled about him and even opened a thread to discuss him shows how deeply he's relevant to you, your kind and existence...

We both know this thread by you means you are troubled and scared that your drunken aso rock uncle is returning to the swamps come 2015 because of one man and that man is OBJ.

The fear of OBJ is no joke hence this sorry and pitiful thread on NL.
Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by juman(m): 5:13pm On Jan 09, 2013
onatisi:
he is not struggling ,only keeping his ground.dont worry just watch as events play out .

You make me laughed. "keeping his ground"? grin

Chief Awolowo ruled at regional level just for four years, we are still worshiping him till today for his achievements.

Aremu Obasanjo ruled for donkey years at the center yet he achieved very little, but failed largely. And he still "keeping his ground" at the age of 75 years old. grin
Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by SpaceWorld2013(m): 6:47pm On Jan 09, 2013
One thing I love about OBJ is, his belief in one Nigeria. Like it or not. He's very relevant in Nigeria politics
Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by EkoIle1: 8:11pm On Jan 09, 2013
Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by Nobody: 11:26pm On Jan 09, 2013
Eko Ile:

The fact that you are this troubled about him and even opened a thread to discuss him shows how deeply he's relevant to you, your kind and existence...

We both know this thread by you means you are troubled and scared that your drunken aso rock uncle is returning to the swamps come 2015 because of one man and that man is OBJ.

The fear of OBJ is no joke hence this sorry and pitiful thread on NL.
Will you ever for once in your life deal with message on a thread without attacking the messenger? SMH!
Re: How Relevant Is OBJ In Today's Politics? by ochukoccna: 11:58pm On Jan 09, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:
I no fit laugh I beg!
The same Anambra where a sitting state governor was kidnapped&shown on live TV!
OBJ 'toothlessness' doesn't mean Johnny no shoes yansh cannot be bitten
You &your boss would be wise to heed that

(1) (2) (Reply)

Canada Gives $5m For Nigeria’s 2015 Polls / Pictures Of The 47 Students Killed At Potiskum,yobe State Two Days Ago. / Ameachi Loses Again. Too Bad.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.