Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,742 members, 7,824,139 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:12 AM

Toxic Waste Imported Into Lagos By Alaba Market Businessman - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Toxic Waste Imported Into Lagos By Alaba Market Businessman (2240 Views)

Man Jumps Into Lagos Canal And Drowns / Ongoing Biafra Protest In Alaba Market, Lagos (Pictures) / Ambode And Vice-president Elect Osinbajo Shut Down Alaba Market (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Toxic Waste Imported Into Lagos By Alaba Market Businessman by DuduNegro: 5:59pm On Jan 13, 2013
Lagos –

The Director-General of National Environment Standards Regulatory Agency (NESREA) Dr Ngeri Benebo, has disclosed that the suspected importers of the Toxic cargo intercepted at Tin can port were traced to Umezime Street, Alaba International Market, and arrested.

On Friday, Hajia Hadiza Mailafia, the Minister of Environment, told reporters in Abuja that the owners of the vessel had been fined one million dollars to serve as a deterrent. Mailafia said that the culprits involved in the intercepted vessel would face life imprisonment if convicted.

Also, Dr Ngeri Benebo had announced that the containers would be sent back to the port of origin.Benebo noted that the repatriation of the containers were in conformity with the provisions of the Harmful Wastes Act. “We are sending the e-wastes back to the port of origin,’’ the director-general said. She said that the agency’s action was guided by the provisions of the laws of Nigeria and warned that “Nigeria would resist any attempt by any country to make the country a dumping ground.

”She said security agencies will strive to avoid a repeat of the escape of the illegal bunkering ship MT African Pride from Nigerian waters in August 2004. This is not the first attempt to dump toxic wastes in Nigeria.Meanwhile, a maritime expert, who did not want his name mentioned, said the security around the ship was expected.

According to the expert, the security agencies will strive to avoid a repeat of the escape of the illegal bunkering ship MT African Pride from Nigerian waters in August 2004. This is not the first attempt to dump toxic wastes in Nigeria. (NAN)

Like Gov Fashola asked recently, and I repeat him....."must we do all business"?

1 Like

Re: Toxic Waste Imported Into Lagos By Alaba Market Businessman by blacksta(m): 6:02pm On Jan 13, 2013
When i heard about the news in my mind i thought it was nuclear waste materials but it is actually a case of used electronics - The Headline is a bit misleading.
Re: Toxic Waste Imported Into Lagos By Alaba Market Businessman by vanbonattel: 6:06pm On Jan 13, 2013
Because Igbos do importation and every other tribe wants to stop them, they are ready to give Nigeria a bad name by screaming toxic waste even though importation of old computer and fridges had always been a steady business.

You will only wound yourselves by playing tribal business politics.

1 Like

Re: Toxic Waste Imported Into Lagos By Alaba Market Businessman by DuduNegro: 6:29pm On Jan 13, 2013
blacksta: When i heard about the news in my mind i thought it was nuclear waste materials but it is actually a case of used electronics - The Headline is a bit misleading.

....thats not an informed response.

a girl was killed not long ago when a bottle thrown by an assailant hit her skull. would you dismiss the crime because it was not a bullet shot?
Re: Toxic Waste Imported Into Lagos By Alaba Market Businessman by ba7man(m): 6:33pm On Jan 13, 2013
van bonattel: Because Igbos do importation and every other tribe wants to stop them, they are ready to give Nigeria a bad name by screaming toxic waste even though importation of old computer and fridges had always been a steady business.

You will only wound yourselves by playing tribal business politics.
Its true, Igbo bizness men import a lot of toxic juunk into this country. I once followed a friend to clear a container belonging to an Igbo client and during inspection, behold the undeclared used TV,refidgerators, ac's he included amongst the auto spare parts he declared. It caused a lot of trouble and you can all guess what happened. My friend stopped being a clearing agent afterwards.

1 Like

Re: Toxic Waste Imported Into Lagos By Alaba Market Businessman by Nobody: 6:46pm On Jan 13, 2013
so fairly used electronics have become toxic wastes? meanwhile loads of containers of the so called toxic wastes find their way into Alaba? infact i bought a toxic waste pressing iron and DVD for 1000naira and 800naira respectively and they are both working fine.GOD PUNISH POVERTY!

2 Likes

Re: Toxic Waste Imported Into Lagos By Alaba Market Businessman by Nobody: 6:47pm On Jan 13, 2013
90 percent of Nigerian are using tokunbo products in their homes, fridges, televisions, Ac, computers, phones, even Okirika wears etc, so what's this noise all about? How many Nigerian can afford new TV, Fridge etc, what have our Govt done to bring down the price of commodities in this country? how i wish there ll be Tokunbo fuel, Cement even houses self... All our govt policies is to impoverish the poor
Re: Toxic Waste Imported Into Lagos By Alaba Market Businessman by ba7man(m): 7:05pm On Jan 13, 2013
berem: so fairly used electronics have become toxic wastes? meanwhile loads of containers of the so called toxic wastes find their way into Alaba? infact i bought a toxic waste pressing iron and DVD for 1000naira and 800naira respectively and they are both working fine.GOD PUNISH POVERTY!
A lot of old Airconditioners and refridgerators contain Chloro-floro-carbon gas which is dangerous to the ozone layer. Those specs have been outlawed in foreign countries so Nigerians now seize on it as an opportunity to purchase it cheap or free and import it into Nigeria.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Toxic Waste Imported Into Lagos By Alaba Market Businessman by taharqa: 7:16pm On Jan 13, 2013
Sunehri_145: 90 percent of Nigerian are using tokunbo products in their homes, fridges, televisions, Ac, computers, phones, even Okirika wears etc, so what's this noise all about? How many Nigerian can afford new TV, Fridge etc, what have our Govt done to bring down the price of commodities in this country? how i wish there ll be Tokunbo fuel, Cement even houses self... All our govt policies is to impoverish the poor
So you bliv that it was JUST cos those goods were 'Tokubo' that made NESRA to declare dem as e-waste? And you even startd dis Publicly with so much confidence!!...... A lot of work still needs doing in our educational system, esp in d Primary and Secondary levels
Re: Toxic Waste Imported Into Lagos By Alaba Market Businessman by Nobody: 7:17pm On Jan 13, 2013
^^^1 do alaba boys know what ozone(O3) layer is talkless of most nigerians? as long as it doesn't kill,no wahala.we go buy am no ni.

1 Like

Re: Toxic Waste Imported Into Lagos By Alaba Market Businessman by DuduNegro: 7:18pm On Jan 13, 2013
berem: ^^^do alaba boys know what ozone(O3) layer is talkless of most nigerians? as long as it doesn't kill,no wahala.we go buy am no ni.

grin cheesy grin
Re: Toxic Waste Imported Into Lagos By Alaba Market Businessman by DuduNegro: 7:22pm On Jan 13, 2013
berem, shut up....ozone3 layer is dangerous to health and Alaba need to conform to envornmental standards and guidelines within the state and the country. why are you defending crime?

1 Like

Re: Toxic Waste Imported Into Lagos By Alaba Market Businessman by ba7man(m): 7:22pm On Jan 13, 2013
berem: ^^^do alaba boys know what ozone(O3) layer is talkless of most nigerians? as long as it doesn't kill,no wahala.we go buy am no ni.
Ignorance is no excuse. It doesn't kill but it destroys our environment.....we need to become more global in our thot patterns and actions if we truely want to improve dis country.
Re: Toxic Waste Imported Into Lagos By Alaba Market Businessman by geeez: 7:33pm On Jan 13, 2013
I'm not surprised. Thats something they are famous for
Re: Toxic Waste Imported Into Lagos By Alaba Market Businessman by jmaine: 7:44pm On Jan 13, 2013
blacksta: When i heard about the news in my mind i thought it was nuclear waste materials but it is actually a case of used electronics - The Headline is a bit misleading.

The headline is correct . . . .E- Waste has toxic components which are highly hazardous if not properly handled or disposed e.g Dioxins and Furans . . .
Re: Toxic Waste Imported Into Lagos By Alaba Market Businessman by Nobody: 7:44pm On Jan 13, 2013
so who should we blame for the importation of the ozone depletion infested CFC cooling systems coming into the country? do i blame alaba boys or the customs?
Re: Toxic Waste Imported Into Lagos By Alaba Market Businessman by Nobody: 7:51pm On Jan 13, 2013
ba7man: Ignorance is no excuse. It doesn't kill but it destroys our environment.....we need to become more global in our thot patterns and actions if we truely want to improve dis country.
is that why lagos is extremely hot? i can imagine how many lagosians use tokunbo fridges.
Re: Toxic Waste Imported Into Lagos By Alaba Market Businessman by Nobody: 7:53pm On Jan 13, 2013
berem: is that why lagos is extremely hot? i can imagine how many lagosians use tokunbo fridges.

Berem... hmm

1 Like

Re: Toxic Waste Imported Into Lagos By Alaba Market Businessman by Kessyy2k4(m): 7:55pm On Jan 13, 2013
I wonder wat ibo boys do 4 money! Importing watever? Nawa o!
Re: Toxic Waste Imported Into Lagos By Alaba Market Businessman by otokx(m): 8:01pm On Jan 13, 2013
There is a difference between used products and toxic waste.
Re: Toxic Waste Imported Into Lagos By Alaba Market Businessman by Nobody: 8:09pm On Jan 13, 2013
otokx: There is a difference between used products and toxic waste.
abeg help me tell them! imagine calling okrika clothes toxic waste.thank God for africa o! toxic waste no fit kill african man.whosai!
Re: Toxic Waste Imported Into Lagos By Alaba Market Businessman by jmaine: 8:13pm On Jan 13, 2013
otokx: There is a difference between used products and toxic waste.

Definitely not used products which are obsolete and are at the end of their life cycle

Nigeria shouldn't be a dump site for these Electronic waste meant to be disposed under stringent and controlled conditions . . .
Re: Toxic Waste Imported Into Lagos By Alaba Market Businessman by nduchucks: 8:32pm On Jan 13, 2013
If I reveal to you at the appropriate time that the said importer has a Yoruba last name, I bet many of the comments on this thread will change though the fundamental facts would not have changed.

There is a name for this phenomenon. SMH
Re: Toxic Waste Imported Into Lagos By Alaba Market Businessman by asha80(m): 8:35pm On Jan 13, 2013
ndu_chucks: If I reveal to you at the appropriate time that the said importer has a Yoruba last name, I bet many of the comments on this thread will change though the fundamental facts would not have changed.

kind of reminds me of the 'my pikin' episode.
Re: Toxic Waste Imported Into Lagos By Alaba Market Businessman by Abagworo(m): 8:54pm On Jan 13, 2013
Chai. So this has been a case of tribalism. I pity Nigeria.
Re: Toxic Waste Imported Into Lagos By Alaba Market Businessman by babapupa: 9:03pm On Jan 13, 2013
ndu_chucks: If I reveal to you at the appropriate time that the said importer has a Yoruba last name, I bet many of the comments on this thread will change though the fundamental facts would not have changed.

coloring it as such when the discuss remains primarily about toxic waste and not tribalism makes you what? It's either you want this to be tribal or you have a serious case of tribal paranoia.
Re: Toxic Waste Imported Into Lagos By Alaba Market Businessman by Nobody: 9:10pm On Jan 13, 2013
babapupa: coloring it as such when the discuss retains primarily about toxic waste and not tribalism makes you what? It's either you want this to be tribal or you have a serious case of tribal paranoia.

Abi ooo... Heleb me talk to the abdulfool oo..

And this other chaos seeking chihuahua down here

Abagworo: Chai. So this has been a case of tribalism. I pity Nigeria.
Re: Toxic Waste Imported Into Lagos By Alaba Market Businessman by nku5: 11:31pm On Jan 13, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

Like Gov Fashola asked recently, and I repeat him....."must we do all business"?

You hypocrites never stop. Even if its part of your genetic make-up you can try.

After the fire on lagos island recently you and your pack of hyenas came cackling about how the fire works were owned by an igbo importer until the truth came out and the hypocrite species fell silent as usual.

Just to refresh your memory, note the ethnicity of the importer and owner of the contraband -

Lagos Fireworks Inferno: Police Arrest Importer of Firecrackers

03 Jan 2013
Font Size: a / A

Lagos fireworks fire

Chiemelie Ezeobi

Barely one week after the inferno that consumed parts of the famous Jankara market, at the Isale-Eko area of Lagos State, the Lagos State Police Command yesterday said it has arrested the owner and importer of the firecrackers which caused the fire.

This is just as two buildings including the one occupied by a newly wedded couple on Jones Street around Ebute West area of Lagos, were Wednesday  razed by fire
The owner of the storage facility which housed the exploded firecrackers, Mr. Semilore Olalekan, was said to have been arrested as part of ongoing investigations into the fire.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/lagos-fireworks-inferno-police-arrest-importer-of-firecrackers/135216/
Re: Toxic Waste Imported Into Lagos By Alaba Market Businessman by babapupa: 11:41pm On Jan 13, 2013
^^^^ what's A got to do with B?
Re: Toxic Waste Imported Into Lagos By Alaba Market Businessman by DuduNegro: 3:06am On Jan 14, 2013
nku5:

You hypocrites never stop. Even if its part of your genetic make-up you can try.

After the fire on lagos island recently you and your pack of hyenas came cackling about how the fire works were owned by an igbo importer until the truth came out and the hypocrite species fell silent as usual.

Just to refresh your memory, note the ethnicity of the importer and owner of the contraband -

Lagos Fireworks Inferno: Police Arrest Importer of Firecrackers

03 Jan 2013
Font Size: a / A

Lagos fireworks fire

Chiemelie Ezeobi

Barely one week after the inferno that consumed parts of the famous Jankara market, at the Isale-Eko area of Lagos State, the Lagos State Police Command yesterday said it has arrested the owner and importer of the firecrackers which caused the fire.

This is just as two buildings including the one occupied by a newly wedded couple on Jones Street around Ebute West area of Lagos, were Wednesday  razed by fire
The owner of the storage facility which housed the exploded firecrackers, Mr. Semilore Olalekan, was said to have been arrested as part of ongoing investigations into the fire.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/lagos-fireworks-inferno-police-arrest-importer-of-firecrackers/135216/

yes, you are correct, yorubaman was responsible for the firecracker inferno but the question is still valid......."must we do every business"?
Re: Toxic Waste Imported Into Lagos By Alaba Market Businessman by koruji(m): 4:17am On Jan 14, 2013
It is called electronic waste, which is very toxic stuff too!!!
The Americans that were exporting this to China illegally have recently being convicted, and are looking for other yeye-countries to dump their toxic mess.

Re: Toxic Waste Imported Into Lagos By Alaba Market Businessman by koruji(m): 4:26am On Jan 14, 2013
No, these would be actual electronic toxic wastes not your pressing iron.
Unscrupulous individuals have made this into an illegal business, but the CBS News service in the USA have been on their trail for years.
We had incidences of nuclear waste in Edo years ago, children are dying from lead in the north and we need to clean up not add even more toxic stuff.

Watch the videos below:
[flash]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd_ZttK3PuM[/flash]
[flash]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCGEvOmKo98[/flash]

berem: so fairly used electronics have become toxic wastes? meanwhile loads of containers of the so called toxic wastes find their way into Alaba? infact i bought a toxic waste pressing iron and DVD for 1000naira and 800naira respectively and they are both working fine.GOD PUNISH POVERTY!

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Diezani Alison-madueke Plans To Sell Refineries To Fronts / If Oga Seun........ / IMO 2015: Ihedioha Blasts Okorocha, Issues Him Quit Notice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.