Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,711 members, 7,809,698 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:26 PM

Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? (14706 Views)

Dear Parents, in whose care have you left your child? Pics! / Can A Family Man With 300k Salary And 3 Children Can He Live Comfortably? / Right Handedness VS Left Handedness. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by PrettyCindy(f): 6:27am On Jan 18, 2013
Hello everyone, people around me have been saying that my 1 year old son is a 'lefty'. Though i have keenly observed that he does practically everything from picking up objects to waving goodbye with his left hand.

I don't believe he is a 'lefty' because i feel its because he sees me and others use our right hand alot which to him may be left when he is facing opposite me or anyone.
Besides no one uses left hand in my family and am certain its same in his birth father too so i keep wondering where he got it from.

I do not like it and want to correct and stop it.

Someone said that it cannot be corrected because he was born that way. I totally disagree.

If anyone of you has experienced such in your kid and was able to correct it, how did you do it?
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by Nobody: 7:07am On Jan 18, 2013
Why would you want to correct it? Is it a problem? 'Demonic' perhaps? As for the issue of its never been in the family, just remember that nobody had ever being the president in either lineages of Barack Obama's parents. #just saying.

26 Likes

Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by kennethik: 7:15am On Jan 18, 2013
Uses of left hand is a habit formed by children while growing up, the only way to correct it is always
Be watchful in all they use the hands to do,like eating,waving maybe writing as case maybe.it's not hereditary or genetic inheritance,just correct the child anytime He or she makes an attempt of using the left hand.

2 Likes

Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by Abbey2sam(m): 7:23am On Jan 18, 2013
Is there anything wrong with that?
You will only end up confusing the child

23 Likes

Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by Nobody: 7:27am On Jan 18, 2013
Abbey2sam: Is there anything wrong with that?
You will only end up confusing the child
And make him ambidextrous. Lol

3 Likes

Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by 299: 7:43am On Jan 18, 2013
Leave the child alone....nothing wrong in using left

8 Likes

Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by PrettyCindy(f): 7:43am On Jan 18, 2013
@ fresh dude and co, its not demonic. I just do not like my son using his left hand instead of the normal right. Its odd to me. And if its a habit that can be stopped, i should be able to make efforts to correct it not just sit down and say, 'its the way its mearnt to be'.

@kenneth, thanks. You made a valid point there.

1 Like

Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by martyns303(m): 7:45am On Jan 18, 2013
"Correct"? Ur making it sound like a problem that needs correction. It is NOT!

4 Likes

Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by sexy74(m): 7:45am On Jan 18, 2013
@ OP
What's wrong in him using a left hand, Barrack Obama is a lefty and today he is a president, did hie using his left hand disturb that.
Let the child be free to use the hand S/He is convineint with.

4 Likes

Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by horlajide: 7:57am On Jan 18, 2013
PrettyCindy: I just do not like my son using his left hand instead of the normal right. Its odd to me.

OP, why make it about yourself.i dont mean to be harsh but u sound selfish about this.the boy in question has a choice too,pls just let him be,infact attempting to change him might have more psychological effects than you think.besides theres nothing wrong with 'leftys',if anything they stand out in the crowd which is quite good.

9 Likes

Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by Nobody: 8:01am On Jan 18, 2013

19 Likes

Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by PrettyCindy(f): 8:01am On Jan 18, 2013
You people keep mentioning Barrack Obama. I no fit laugh abeg. So if he is a lefty nko? Abegi......

I didnt say its a problem because it is not. Its a habit learnt from toddler years. I will make efforts and teach him how to use his right hand like Kenneth said.
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by greatgod2012(f): 8:12am On Jan 18, 2013
Pls, dont confuse d kid further, there is enough confusion in life already, this one is not so serious as to cause further confuse d innocent kid.

On a serious note, since its not evil, i dont see any reason in changing it. I have even noticed that many of those who write with their left hand write more eligibly better than some right hand writer. Also, i have noticed that many of them are "brilliantly intelligent".
I will even love one or more of my kids to be "lefty" but im unlucky to have one....better keep on encouraging d kid instead of causing confusion.

2 Likes

Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by Bluestream(m): 9:07am On Jan 18, 2013
@OP Why dont you just google the subject of left handed people...there is enough information out there to educate you on the subject and you would realize that it is a perfectly natural thing...the kid is wired that way...its only certain cultures that teach you that it is 'taboo' etc, but its not. Neither is it a habit. It is a function of how the neural pathways in the child's brain are configured from birth...tampering with it is not advisable...some of the greatest people the earth has known are 'southpaws' as they are called...

3 Likes

Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by PrettyCindy(f): 9:12am On Jan 18, 2013
Bluestream: @OP Why dont you just google the subject of left handed people...there is enough information out there to educate you on the subject and you would realize that it is a perfectly natural thing...the kid is wired that way...its only certain cultures that teach you that it is 'taboo' etc, but its not. Neither is it a habit. It is a function of how the neural pathways in the child's brain are configured from birth...tampering with it is not advisable...some of the greatest people the earth has known are 'southpaws' as they are called...

Appreciated. Will google it and learn more about it.
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by Nobody: 9:14am On Jan 18, 2013
Let Me get this straight Cinderella, it's not a problem but you want to fix it anyway?
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by PrettyCindy(f): 9:30am On Jan 18, 2013
@chaircover, please read through my post again. I never said my son is odd.
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by Nobody: 9:36am On Jan 18, 2013

2 Likes

Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by sewen2000(m): 9:37am On Jan 18, 2013
@op, ur ancestors no get email ni ? Abeg ask dem

1 Like

Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by 2sexy(m): 9:46am On Jan 18, 2013
OP, you are just creating problem where there is non...

1 Like

Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by PrettyCindy(f): 9:57am On Jan 18, 2013
chaircover: That is what you said!!!!!

lol. Its ok
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by Nobody: 9:59am On Jan 18, 2013
2sexy: OP, you are just creating problem where there is non...
Says who? You? She's only looking out for her son's best interests. Would you to have an odd child?
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by Nobody: 10:01am On Jan 18, 2013
and i'm here praying my daughter is left handed - na wah for people and their non problems
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by advocate666: 10:05am On Jan 18, 2013
my first child is left handed and my second it right handed. The second is copying everything the first does and it is just funny watching her try to play games with her left hand instead of her natural right.

OP, you need Satanic deliverance.

2 Likes

Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by feminineA: 10:17am On Jan 18, 2013
Please leave the young man alone. In my friends family of 5 they re all lefty, her mum tried to stop the first born from using left this affected him a lot she had to leave after a while. She writes with both hands but the trauma he went through wasn't it.
Don't try it. Let nature take its course.
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by djeezy(m): 10:34am On Jan 18, 2013
Nothing odd with using left hand. I'm ambidextrous though, I use both left and right. I love it and it doesn't deprive me the status of a normal human being. In fact, I see myself as unique.
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by Nobody: 10:34am On Jan 18, 2013
PrettyCindy: You people keep mentioning Barrack Obama. I no fit laugh abeg. So if he is a lefty nko? Abegi......

I didnt say its a problem because it is not. Its a habit learnt from toddler years. I will make efforts and teach him how to use his right hand like Kenneth said.

Left handedness is not a habit. It is as a result of how his brain functions. The same way it would be weird to try to force you to become left handed is the way it would feel for you to force him to switch to his right hand. You can teach him to shake people right handed and use his right hand to fit into cultural norms if you must but why not leave him alone otherwise?

10 Likes

Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by PrettyCindy(f): 12:13pm On Jan 18, 2013
advocate666: my first child is left handed and my second it right handed. The second is copying everything the first does and it is just funny watching her try to play games with her left hand instead of her natural right.

OP, you need Satanic deliverance.

Aren't you taking it a bit far. You are an idiot for saying that i need satanic deliverance. You are the one who needs all kinds of deliverance.

2 Likes

Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by PrettyCindy(f): 12:19pm On Jan 18, 2013
@all. Its ok. I have read all your comments and now understand its not odd like i thought that a child is left handed. No one is an island of knowledge and we are learning each day.

I will let him be but will teach him (if he turns out to be lefty fully) to shake hands, eat and take something from people with right .
Thanks for your contributions.

8 Likes

Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by PrettyCindy(f): 12:19pm On Jan 18, 2013
THREAD CLOSED.

2 Likes

Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by Nobody: 12:32pm On Jan 18, 2013
Gross motor skills development ( hands function) is controlled by the brain .... So it's not a habit OP..., that's just the way your genius is...

he might change if you want but I don't think it's a good idea .....cos that's what the Early childhood Educator does ( without tampering with kids nature but only guide them to perfection ) .... Let the child grow Naturally please.
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by Nobody: 12:33pm On Jan 18, 2013
PrettyCindy: THREAD CLOSED.

Oops lipsrsealed just saw this.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

When Love Dies, Will You Stay For The Sake Of Your Children? / Can I Relocate My Family To My Village Because Of My Wife's Job? / Please Help!! My Dad Passed Away. Please How Do I Overcome The Pains?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.