Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,456 members, 7,819,666 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:20 PM

Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? (14733 Views)

Dear Parents, in whose care have you left your child? Pics! / Can A Family Man With 300k Salary And 3 Children Can He Live Comfortably? / Right Handedness VS Left Handedness. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by slex(m): 8:41am On Apr 03, 2013
yesoooo i am a living witness but whats wrog with being left handed??
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by Jarus(m): 8:42am On Apr 03, 2013
I don't have any problem with a child using left, except with eating (which my religion doesn't permit).

So except for eating, I will not attempt correcting a left-handed child. My immediate younger sister uses left anyway.
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by obowunmi(m): 8:45am On Apr 03, 2013
I am left-handed and OP is a SICKTARD. angry angry angry angry angry

I do ALL, things with my left hand.
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by PeeDaVinci: 8:45am On Apr 03, 2013
still surprised that some people are still finding something wrong with the use of left hand which needs to be "corrected"
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by shiftmarket(m): 8:46am On Apr 03, 2013
Ability to use 2 hands should be encouraged
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by abiki(f): 8:47am On Apr 03, 2013
I am 100% left handed and i do not regret it. When i was growing up, I had tough times in school because one certain teacher was so interested in correcting me. My mum came to the school and told them to leave her daughter alone. I have four siblings and i'm the only one who is left handed. Op, why do you want to end up confusing your child? Its totally ridiculous. Let him be.
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by DrTony1(m): 8:47am On Apr 03, 2013
PrettyCindy: You people keep mentioning Barrack Obama. I no fit laugh abeg. So if he is a lefty nko? Abegi......

I didnt say its a problem because it is not. Its a habit learnt from toddler years. I will make efforts and teach him how to use his right hand like Kenneth said.

Your son was probably born with †ђε right hemisphere of his brain being dominant to †ђε left hemisphere, in most of †ђε population †ђε left hemisphere is more dominant which makes them write with the right hand.
Having †ђε right hemisphere of †ђε brain dominant in your child means your child is likely going to be tilted more towards artistry & creative capabilites rather than arithemetic capability like most right handed fellow.
Madam you should be lucky he was born that way, many great people were born leftie, not just obama as most people on †ђε forum are pointing out, have you ever heard of a man called leonardo da vinci? A genius perhaps of unrivalled importance in arts & science.try googling out these leftie people & you ll be amazed at †ђε result you ll see & then you will be happy that your son is very special and has a lot of creative abilities to become a future star.
My candid advice madam is teach him how to use his right hand if that pleases you so he can be ambidextrous which is an envied ability. Rather than stopping him from using his left hand please. Most people including me wish we were ambidextrous and please madam don't allow NONSENSE superstious beliefs & stories flying around our culture decieve you, look for scientific explanations like I have given you which is †ђε way foward cos I strongly believe you are very educated too. Scientifically speaking, thank God you have a leftie as son.
Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by naijathings(m): 8:47am On Apr 03, 2013
i will never "correct" my child if he\she is born "left handed"
many great people today, from TV stars to World leaders, are left handed
I believe left handed people are very special people
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by bollingjoe(m): 8:48am On Apr 03, 2013
@ prettycindy if u force ur child to use his right hand u ll make the child clumsy . Infact u can make the child lose his self confidence. I'm a leftie dat wuz forced 2 use his right hand it has made me ambidextrous but not witout some really awful moments. Pls let ur child have a life
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by StEdwin(m): 8:48am On Apr 03, 2013
@ Poster,

1. There is no research or study that says handedness is familial or inherited.
2. There is nothing wrong in a child being left-handed. There are so many articles on handedness and I would suggest that you read them up and gain more information on the topic. I don't see the need to correct a child's handedness. DO NOT INFLUENCE HIS CHOICE IN ANYWAY.
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by Ljboy(m): 8:49am On Apr 03, 2013
horlajide:

OP, why make it about yourself.i dont mean to be harsh but u sound selfish about this.the boy in question has a choice too,pls just let him be,infact attempting to change him might have more psychological effects than you think.besides theres nothing wrong with 'leftys',if anything they stand out in the crowd which is quite good.
bros u b doctor hehehe... abeg no effect 4 changing his use of hands o... PSYCOLOGICAL... nairalanders eeeh..hehehe una funny
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by chreldb(m): 8:50am On Apr 03, 2013
PrettyCindy: Hello everyone, people around me have been saying that my 1 year old son is a 'lefty'. Though i have keenly observed that he does practically everything from picking up objects to waving goodbye with his left hand.

I don't believe he is a 'lefty' because i feel its because he sees me and others use our right hand alot which to him may be left when he is facing opposite me or anyone.
Besides no one uses left hand in my family and am certain its same in his birth father too so i keep wondering where he got it from.

I do not like it and want to correct and stop it.

Someone said that it cannot be corrected because he was born that way. I totally disagree.

If anyone of you has experienced such in your kid and was able to correct it, how did you do it?

Piece of advice !! be very careful the way you handle the situation. First of all there is nothing wrong with being left handed. Secondly and most importantly trying to "correct" your child could make him retarded. I say so because I know a friend whose parents tried to forcefully correct him when he was younger because they thought it was a defect. Unfortunately for him he could not coordinate himself while he was trying to change to right while growing up and it affected him negatively especially in school performance. He normalized at an older age when they accepted that there is nothing that could be done and let him be. If you think of it, if you are being forced to use your left hand to do everything when you were born right handed, even in adulthood it would make you slow. So it makes perfect sense. So like I said be careful!!!
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by dammytosh: 8:51am On Apr 03, 2013
PrettyCindy: Hello everyone, people around me have been saying that my 1 year old son is a 'lefty'. Though i have keenly observed that he does practically everything from picking up objects to waving goodbye with his left hand.

Don't disturb yourself too much on this. Just let him be conscious of the fact that he should do things with his right hand without stressing him.

If he continues on the left hand, just let him be, lefties are gifted and are usually a bit more intelligent than their peers.

Obama.
John McCain
Leonardo da Vinci
Pablo Picasso.. are all left handed.

It is not abnormal, it is just being exceptional.
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by ireke(m): 8:52am On Apr 03, 2013
I didn't take time to go through the thread to see if this has been mentioned but studies show that forcing children to be right handed tend to take away from their "smartness". SO be careful with forcing your children to conform to your mental image. just google the effect of forcing a child to be right handed
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by 7thCANON: 8:52am On Apr 03, 2013
OP: the most versatile people are the ambidextrous. The right side of the brain controls the left part of the body and vice versa. Using a part of the body helps develop the brain function that controls that part. The ambidextrous have the brain function on the two halves developed while most of us who are one-handed have only part of that brain function developed. So, as people have said earlier, help him become ambidextrous.
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by blackbeau1(f): 8:57am On Apr 03, 2013
Well,I think it can be corrected.you just need to be vigilant andcorrect the child anytime he/she tries to use it but if you can't, its not really bad.
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by obi123: 8:57am On Apr 03, 2013

I don't believe he is a 'lefty' because i feel its because he sees me and others use our right hand alot which to him may be left when he is facing opposite me or anyone.
Besides no one uses left hand in my family and am certain its same in his birth father too so i keep wondering where he got it from.

Someone said that it cannot be corrected because he was born that way. I totally disagree.

If anyone of you has experienced such in your kid and was able to correct it, how did you do it?

please if it aint broke dont fix it , there is absolutely nothing wrong with being left handed , children must not be the same , give this child a break please , why do we disturb ourselves unnecessarily eh? life's too short to worry about such insignificant things
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by ministerblessed: 8:58am On Apr 03, 2013
My dad hates lefthanded pple,but unluckily for him my youngest sis is lefthanded and a chronic one at dat.I remember wen they tried correcting it for her,it messed up her brain.she strted writing upside down and will strt writing on d paper from right to left instead of left to right.we had to just leave her alone now she is in d university doin well,very intelligent and her lefthandedness makes her more fascinating. Leave d child alone and let him be.being lefthanded is nt a sin or a shame.
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by kramer: 8:59am On Apr 03, 2013
Another old post makes front page!!!!

I believe the op wanted this thread closed ages ago
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by Nobody: 8:59am On Apr 03, 2013
u shuldnt b bothered,beeing left handed is a beautiful thing...ur child is special u shuld know
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by Nobody: 9:00am On Apr 03, 2013
Nigerians and ignorance.

Being left-handed is no defect. I wished you paid a visit to France and see the huge number of left-handed people 'needing correction'. That way, you would make your mind up.

Knowledge and Exposure is very imporant for Nigerias.
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by Guk: 9:01am On Apr 03, 2013
@Poster, pls dont!!! (1)To be ambidextrous is great gain. Go ask the Dentists & others who are. Its great gain.

Dont force the child to use right if he/she is leftie, you can teach him to use right in addition to his left much later in life.

I know a live example of someone who still confuses 12 with 21 when writing them because she was forced to change hands in her nursery school. She is a natural leftie as can be seen from the use of her legs.

Been leftie is just the same as been rightie and there is no spiritual connotation to it. Pls leave the child alone to develop naturally
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by niceguydot: 9:02am On Apr 03, 2013
Obama is left handed, Fashola is left handed, Abraham Lincoln was left handed.
And u say u want to change it in your son..
U said your husband is right handed, would'nt ‎​U̶̲̥̅̊ have wished the men ‎​​i mentioned was your husband.
Abi if Otedola was left handed and he were your brother-in-law ‎​U̶̲̥̅̊ will say being lef handed ‎​Ȋ̝̊̅§ bad.
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by Nobody: 9:04am On Apr 03, 2013
PrettyCindy: You people keep mentioning Barrack Obama. I no fit laugh abeg. So if he is a lefty nko? Abegi......

I didnt say its a problem because it is not. Its a habit learnt from toddler years. I will make efforts and teach him how to use his right hand like Kenneth said.

Please leave the poor kid alone,left handedness is not learnt.Its just the way his brain has been wired.He was born to be like that.you can teach him to use the other hand but dont force him.

I had similar problem with mum and teachers trying to force me to ditch my left hand.it never worked.i wasnt alloeed to write with my left hand etc.
Today i use both hands pretty well.In boxing i am a south paw.i can never serve with my right in lawn tennis but play table tennis comfortably with my right.
I would,ve prefered no one tried to change me.
Leave that kid alone.
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by back2sender: 9:05am On Apr 03, 2013
Lefties to me is very good and i wish i could use my left hand as good as my right. when they handle cutleries you will be amazed. its an advantage , dont mind those complaining or whining about it
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by tomietush(m): 9:05am On Apr 03, 2013
PrettyCindy: @all. Its ok. I have read all your comments and now understand its not odd like i thought that a child is left handed. No one is an island of knowledge and we are learning each day.

I will let him be but will teach him (if he turns out to be lefty fully) to shake hands, eat and take something from people with right .
Thanks for your contributions.
D truth is dat u don't ave to teach him all dis, he will adapt to shaking hands n other things, am a typical example, I use my left hand for everything includn eating, just don't ruin the youngman's life
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by mathewalab: 9:08am On Apr 03, 2013

Abeg you in the name of God, using left hand is not demonic, it has to do with composition of his or her brain system (am not a medical practitioner) but cases like this had happened in the school I have worked before; the boy was force to use right hand for a while, of which he could not master. I can tell you now that; his brain system had been disturbed such that he can not even use any of the two hands to write anything, even at his age now.

So dont attempt to do anything otherwise, as a matter of fact nothing wrong with left hand; its just a human perception in our own environment here.
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by 2scorehigh(m): 9:10am On Apr 03, 2013
In my own view, there is absolutely nothing to correct. Rather, you should encourage him to use the right hand too so as to become ambidextrous.

Besides, I like it when I see lefties write. It is very stylish and cool.

I read somewhere that lefties are more creative while righties are more logical. So I suggest you should even help the child by allowing and guiding him to become both and bring out the best in him.

At least, that was exactly what I did with myself. Today, my left hand is almost as good as my natural right and I do enjoy the envious look people give me when they find out that I can easily switch from left to right.
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by MuyiGL: 9:15am On Apr 03, 2013

It amazes me at this age and time that anyone would still believe that being born a lefty is wrong. My father was forced to drop his when he was younger. His mother never let him rest whenever she found him using his left hand. To this day, he admits that it has affected him in many ways. He uses his right hand now but it's just never the same. So when I showed signs of being a lefty at my age, he realized this was an opportunity to correct the ills that were committed against him. He made sure none of my mum, teachers, or relatives corrected me. He insisted they allowed me pick it up naturally. I am almost 30 now and I'm still a lefty. I am smart (I dare say smarter than the people I meet on average everyday) and it has in no way affected my thinking. What most people do not understand is that the left side of the brain controls everything on the right side and vice-versa. When you force a natural lefty to change, it can't happen without him losing some of his cognitive abilities.
Even the bible singled out great lefties for a purpose. Ehud, Gdieon and the whole Benjamite tribes are good examples. And in this modern day and time, we have many great left-handed people. Babyface, Bill Clinton, Rafael Nadal, Obama to mention a few. Some of the smartest women I've ever met are left-handed too.

I would advice that you consider not changing your child. Allow him to chose his preferred hand naturally. Do more research and find out how wrong you are.
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by MuyiGL: 9:17am On Apr 03, 2013
Guk: @Poster, pls dont!!! (1)To be ambidextrous is great gain. Go ask the Dentists & others who are. Its great gain.

Dont force the child to use right if he/she is leftie, you can teach him to use right in addition to his left much later in life.

I know a live example of someone who still confuses 12 with 21 when writing them because she was forced to change hands in her nursery school. She is a natural leftie as can be seen from the use of her legs.

Been leftie is just the same as been rightie and there is no spiritual connotation to it. Pls leave the child alone to develop naturally

God bless you. With love from a natural leftie who was never forced to change. smiley
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by MrTumble: 9:18am On Apr 03, 2013
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by ba7man(m): 9:18am On Apr 03, 2013
Why do you want it corrected?? Its from his brain's synapses so its best not to mess it up. I was born left handed but was forced to change, now i have scratchy hand writing( I write with my right) and i alway make a concious effort to pick and receive things with my right. Its distracting, even after 3 decades of living with it. You should be glad he was born with hands in the first place.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Police Invitation; What Could Go Wrong At The Police Station? / When A 70 Years Old Man Behaves Foolishly, How Do You Handle It? / Which Do I Choose; Marriage Or Job?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.