Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,507 members, 7,819,836 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:07 AM

Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? - Family (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? (14734 Views)

Dear Parents, in whose care have you left your child? Pics! / Can A Family Man With 300k Salary And 3 Children Can He Live Comfortably? / Right Handedness VS Left Handedness. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by LordReed(m): 3:19pm On Apr 03, 2013
@maasoap

My friend read well and comprehend stop behaving like a two year old throwing tantrums. FYI I am in Nigeria so is my sister so I don't know which part of Nigeria you are in.

1 Like

Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by omonnakoda: 3:25pm On Apr 03, 2013
maasoap: .
You still have not answered my question. Which Sura in the Quran forbids the use of the left hand for eating. Truth is there is no such thing in the Quran. It is essentially Arab culture and people often try and force Arab culture on everyone.What next,bend down to urinate with BLUE KETTLE
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by Yeahmee: 4:06pm On Apr 03, 2013
@ OP, i am going to type this with my left hand and lets see if you wont understand.
i am a lucky father of a lovely left-handed girl and it seems my baby son might be left-handed too.
i was so glad when i discovered that she uses left cos its as natural as righty and infact, i think its abnormal to be right-handed.
please, encourage your son to use his left and you will be glad you did cos from my experience with left-handed dudes that were trained to use right, get stuff up-side down.
@OP, why do left handed children wear their shoes the right way and right handed kids mix it up?, could it be that left handed kids see things the RIGHT way.
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by drkay(m): 4:07pm On Apr 03, 2013
Well, am a lefty and I love it!

1 Like

Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by clerkent(m): 5:00pm On Apr 03, 2013
im a left handed guy which giv me d name lefty.i tried to correct it nd end up using both hands.bt i can only eat or sweep wit my right nd d left do d rest even writing.so i see nothing wrong with it bt our people hate children who collect somthing frm them with left hand.i wish u gudlock in ur correction
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by neey1051(m): 5:14pm On Apr 03, 2013
maasoap: It only becomes problem if he is using it to eat or take things to his mouth. It will surely become a stigma in later life because he won't be able to eat outside home and he won't be able to eat with or among his colleagues. I had a roommate that uses left hand to eat and he just stopped going to restaurants because people used stare at him whenever he was eating. Then another kid in my area is facing the same problem because his elder brothers are refusing to eat wt him because he also uses left to eat.
Hello sir, i beg to disagree, i'm left handed and i eat anywhere, no one is gonna make me inferior,heaven helps the person who would ridicule or try as much as correct me for eating with my left-hand outside or anywhere!!!

3 Likes

Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by geosegun(m): 5:25pm On Apr 03, 2013
Ebestsms.com:
Am shocked with the replies posted here.

I will NEVER allow any of my children to use left hand, you can compare left hand with right, right is always stronger than left according to those.

Mehn I will NEVER allow such, things normally fall from lefty dudes hands.

I dislike lefty with passion, in fact I don't employ a lefty in my office.

NO! NO!! NO!!!

Ogini na ahio......

LIAR! LIAR!! LIAR!!!!
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by starbuck(f): 5:29pm On Apr 03, 2013
smiley smiley
Ma lil son is left handed nd I don't need 2 correct it cuz its nature taking its cause besydes left handed people happens 2 b great people
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by Plutonium(m): 6:10pm On Apr 03, 2013
Na ignorance dey worry this OP cry

3 Likes

Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by wabsco(m): 8:07pm On Apr 03, 2013
Those using lefts are guru! Leave him/her......it hs bn written! Pls don't force him/her
Don't try to change it ooooo.
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by SupaMan4live(m): 9:13pm On Apr 03, 2013
Common on. Let the child be. Please Read Judges 3:15-30.
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by Marcail: 9:13pm On Apr 03, 2013
Pls, don't try to correct that child to use right hand.Both hands are useful either left or right.I am a living example, my mum tried to correct me frm usin left hand wen I was in pry1 ,bliv me,it affectd my academics den (bt now am as bright as b4),and mind u,d only tin she was able to mak me do is to write wit my right hand,all oda chores,I use left, basically,am ambidextrous..its evn dangerous to correct d child cuz I knw of a person who got correctd and it affectd her brain, these hands work wit brain and its lik disrupting evrytin in it if changd
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by delpee(f): 9:20pm On Apr 03, 2013
Nothing wrong with being lefthanded. My son is as well as 3 other family members and we have concluded that it can be hereditary. I was told that it has to do with the brain and attempts to change them by force may affect them adversely. No big deal really.
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by movado19: 9:23pm On Apr 03, 2013
I was born left handed and still left handed. My mum tried (forced) to change me to use my right and do everything with my right hand, but this affected me and I became a chronic stammer. I also had no confidence,such as if I saw the number two, I'd doubt it and say it was three or four!

After a year of trying to change me, my dad advised my mum to just leave me alone the way God created me and she reluctantly did. I wish I could say that my stammering and low self esteem vanished immediately, but they continued for the next ten years. I realized it was only God that could save me, so I began to pray to God at an early age to deliver me from stammering and not believing in myself.

I'm happy to say that those things are all gone now and I am a fulfilled leftie.

To all parents: Please, allow your children be! Being left handed is not demonic nor is it something bad. Allow your children flourish the way God made them, please!

4 Likes

Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by mollie12: 10:29pm On Apr 03, 2013
chucky234: I just don't get where you people generates these lame theories about correction making them slow or clumsy from,its all nonsense.
The last child of my parents who is 15yrs old now started using his left hand to do everything as a child and we were able to correct it,today he uses his right hand to do everything except playing football which he does with his left leg.
He is exceptionally brilliant and one of the best SS2 students at Command Day Second. Sch,Ojo.
I personally can't stand the sight of a child written or eating with his/her left hand ,my younger sister's daughter who is two years old is also making use of her left hands instead of write and we are working on making her use her right hand especially to eat and write.
If the OP feels she can dedicated her time to watch the child all the time and caution him whenever he makes use of his left then I see no reason she should be called names or bring up theories that are irrelevant,correcting the child will not in anyway make him clumsy or slow as you people here insinuates.
My close friend was born lefty but he uses his right hand to do everything including writing because the parents corrected it when he was a child and today he feels happy using his right hand instead of left.

Guy, what part of all the English language everyone has been sharing on this topic did you not understand?? THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH BEING LEFT-HANDED!! You didn't create these people, and you are very wrong in inflicting shame and pressure on them just because you don't like the way they've been created. Anyway, I don't blame some people: if they had children with REAL problems - like autism or Down's syndrome or palsy, or children that can neither speak or talk at the age of 5, they won't be asking silly questions as whether it is wrong for a child to use left hand. Please stop the persecution of left-handed people - it is barbaric and outdated! There are several highly successful people in society that have been left-handed from birth. Stop creating problems where there are none.

1 Like

Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by omonnakoda: 10:43pm On Apr 03, 2013
Obsession with being right handed

Mohammad believed that the devil was left handed. He had this obsession with doing everything with the right hand, foot and side, because anything on the left is associated with evil. He said that you should always use your right for anything “honorable” (writing), and your left hand for anything that is not (going to the bathroom etc.).

I have an uncle who is left handed, and when he was younger, his family would tie his left hand behind his back so he would not use it for eating or writing. Needless to say, that did not make him right handed, it just made him resent the idea that he was left handed.

Here are some more things that Mohammad taught his people to keep “Satan” away:

When you put your shoes on, always start with the right foot then the left.
Never eat with your left hand because that means the devil is eating with you.
Always spit to your left because that’s where the devil stands.
When you go to the bathroom, you should enter with your left foot, but when you leave you should use your right (since the bathroom is an “unclean” place).
When a man pees, he should never hold his penis with the right hand. (yes he actually said that)
Mohammad also believed that if you wanted to make sure bad dreams don’t harm you, spit on your left side. I did not even know this teaching existed, but apparently it is in the Hadith:

A good dream that comes true is from Allah, and a bad dream is from Satan, so if anyone of you sees a bad dream, he should seek refuge with Allah from Satan and should spit on the left, for the bad dream will not harm him.” (Bukhari Book 87 #115)

http://exmuslimblog.com/the-evil-eye-and-other-strange-superstitions-that-still-exist-today-in-muslim-societies/#.UVyhbFewcSk
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by Ndipe(m): 1:11am On Apr 04, 2013
PrettyCindy: Hello everyone, people around me have been saying that my 1 year old son is a 'lefty'. Though i have keenly observed that he does practically everything from picking up objects to waving goodbye with his left hand.

I don't believe he is a 'lefty' because i feel its because he sees me and others use our right hand alot which to him may be left when he is facing opposite me or anyone.
Besides no one uses left hand in my family and am certain its same in his birth father too so i keep wondering where he got it from.

I do not like it and want to correct and stop it.

Someone said that it cannot be corrected because he was born that way. I totally disagree.

If anyone of you has experienced such in your kid and was able to correct it, how did you do it?

Leave the child and let him use his left or right hands as nature ordained him to. Trying to correct him might lead to psychological damage. Why is this even an issue in the 21st century when we are all enlightened that being a southpaw is not evil?
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by Ilekokonit: 1:12am On Apr 04, 2013
smartmom
got 4 kids, first and third are lefties. Leave that unique boy alone u hear. Probably going to be extra smart too both mine are

I am right handed and some years ago, I tried for a little while to practice writing with my left hand to try and partake of the genius inherent in left handed people. I tried this comical act because I suddenly remembered that our text books in medical school taught us that the Left Side of the brain which has 10% of the brain power controls the Right Side of the body whilst the Right Side of the brain which has 90% of the brain power controls the Left Side of the body meaning that left handed people utilise 90% of their brain power whilst we mere mortals who are right handed only utilise 10% of our brain power.

So, please leave the child as nature created him. Its also a well known fact that a lot of highly gifted Artists and crteative people are left handed.

Daily Mail Article

Research has highlighted that left-handers are more creative and make better leaders. Psychologist Stephen Mason told Psychology Today: 'Left-handed people do appear to be more creative. 'This may be because the left half of the brain is associated more with logic and reason while the right half is associated more with art and inventiveness.'

They are also shown to possess a greater amount of intellectual prowess as demonstrated by great thinkers such as Albert Einstein and Issac Newton.

Famous left handed people include Albert Einstein, Barrack Obama, David Cameron, Issac Newton, Napoleon Bonaparte, Michelangelo, Julius Caesar, Queen Victoria, Winston Churchill and Benjamin Franklin
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1391128/One-right-wingers-Cameron-Obama-revealed-left-handed.html
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by Nobody: 2:28am On Apr 04, 2013
One of the More Egregiously Idiotic Threads I've Ever Witnessed in All My Time of E-Writing.

True Cerebral Corruption

Mindless Drones of the Highest Order

It is Really Hard to Fathom some of the Ignorance In Here.

A Heinous Viral Breach in Critical Conception.

An "Intellection" of Infinite Ignorance with Enviable Allies of Inordinate Imbecilic Incompetence.
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by Nobody: 2:36am On Apr 04, 2013
fresh_dude: Why would you want to correct it? Is it a problem? 'Demonic' perhaps? As for the issue of its never been in the family, just remember that nobody had ever being the president in either lineages of Barack Obama's parents. #just saying.

That's just a case in point. Lefties r known to be brilliant, mostly with numbers. I'm one of em, lol. So ur righty thing is baseless. Left or right, both r hands. Its like a form of discrimination, u know, borne out of...what do I call it? Maybe African mentality or something. My parents definitely let me be. But basically, besides ppl saying "oh, u're a leftie", that's where it ends. Ur son would be what he's destined to be n probably not a right-handed rogue. Believe me, most rogues are right-handed! Lols. Soooo, sleep well n grow a pair and breed more lefthanded kids. God bless Obama! I saw d dude signing into office back then n I exclaimed, "he's a leftie" , lols. So whatchu gonna tell Obama's parents about that? No witches in d village, lady. #Grow up.
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by Nobody: 2:44am On Apr 04, 2013
Speaking as a Lefty Creative Genius Myself, I am Appalled at Such Primitive Thinking.

"Can it Be Corrected"?...

Excuse Me?..

Can [size=14pt]YOU[/size] Be Corrected ....Lady?...

I Would Surmise That The Correction of One's Mind is Far More Critical Than The Perfection of Your Own Misconception

But What Do I Know, I am just an Incorrect Lefty. undecided

Backwards Perception.

1 Like

Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by Nobody: 2:47am On Apr 04, 2013
Ilekokonit:

I am right handed and some years ago, I tried for a little while to practice writing with my left hand to try and partake of the genius inherent in left handed people. I tried this comical act because I suddenly remembered that our text books in medical school taught us that the Left Side of the brain which has 10% of the brain power controls the Right Side of the body whilst the Right Side of the brain which has 90% of the brain power controls the Left Side of the body meaning that left handed people utilise 90% of their brain power whilst we mere mortals who are right handed only utilise 10% of our brain power.

So, please leave the child as nature created him. Its also a well known fact that a lot of highly gifted Artists and crteative people are left handed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1391128/One-right-wingers-Cameron-Obama-revealed-left-handed.html

Adding Paul McCartney of The Beatles and Jimi Hendrix to the mix: they play their guitars upside-down! Lols. Really its a no-brainer, left or right, don't matter. But that 90/10 percent thing is true, I think. I notice with numbers, maths n speed of learning things. So y d heck would I wanna be right-handed anyways? My sisters r right-handed n Jesus is still chillin in heaven. I don't even think av heard anyone point out that am left-handed in ages! No qualms there. #TeamObama! Lolz.
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by mobosteve: 4:04am On Apr 04, 2013
sexy74: @ OP
What's wrong in him using a left hand, Barrack Obama is a lefty and today he is a president, did hie using his left hand disturb that.
Let the child be free to use the hand S/He is convineint with.

Don't go and ruin your child's brain my dear.Most left handed people are successful.you rarely see a left handed poor person.Its like a blessing in disguise and it seldom comes.Well this mentality was induced by our so called fore father.Because in the developed country this is not a topic to be DISCUSSED.By the way these are some successful lefthanded human beings.

President Clinton
Obama
Eminem
Messi and Maradona two of the best ever in footballers in the history of the game
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by mobosteve: 4:06am On Apr 04, 2013
geosegun:

LIAR! LIAR!! LIAR!!!!

Don't go and ruin your child's brain my dear.Most left handed people are successful.you rarely see a left handed poor person.Its like a blessing in disguise and it seldom comes.Well this mentality was induced by our so called fore father.Because in the developed country this is not a topic to be DISCUSSED.By the way these are some successful lefthanded human beings.

President Clinton
Obama
Eminem
Messi and Maradona two of the best ever in footballers in the history of the game

(Modify) (Quote) (Report)
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by mobosteve: 4:07am On Apr 04, 2013
PrettyCindy: Hello everyone, people around me have been saying that my 1 year old son is a 'lefty'. Though i have keenly observed that he does practically everything from picking up objects to waving goodbye with his left hand.

I don't believe he is a 'lefty' because i feel its because he sees me and others use our right hand alot which to him may be left when he is facing opposite me or anyone.
Besides no one uses left hand in my family and am certain its same in his birth father too so i keep wondering where he got it from.

I do not like it and want to correct and stop it.

Someone said that it cannot be corrected because he was born that way. I totally disagree.

If anyone of you has experienced such in your kid and was able to correct it, how did you do it?

President Clinton
Obama
Eminem

(Modify) (Quote) (Report)
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by Nobody: 4:14am On Apr 04, 2013
Damn, I didn't know Marshall Was Left Handed....

*Thinks Back to Stan Video*......
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by bece: 5:04am On Apr 04, 2013
My daughter is left handed,she writes,eat, shake infact she does everything with her left hand. She is one of the smartest 6year old on this planet and very very pretty too. When she was in pry 1 her teaccher tried forcing her write with her right hand she was the one that asked her teacher †✽ change her own hand too †✽ left. There is nothing bad in using ur left hand I think lefties are smarter sef. I am proud of my two kids lefty or no lefty

1 Like

Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by kinematic(m): 6:02am On Apr 04, 2013
Some of us born into cultures of ignorance are forced by flipping nosy relatives sad to adopt the right hand as the default hand, but we never really lose those abilities of a lefty.
Here’s a short list of some notable lefties:
Albert Einstein, Isaac Newton, Bill Gates, Queen Elizabeth II, Prince William, Benjamin Franklin, Alexander the Great, Thomas Jefferson, Oprah Winfrey, Robert DeNiro, Celine Dion, Bill Clinton, Barack Obama, David Cameron, Gandhi, Aristotle, Mozart, Beethoven, John D Rockefeller, Keanu Reeves, Petr Cech, Pele, Maradona, Romario, Phil Mickelson, and of course Raji Fashola
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by Kassidy90(m): 9:43am On Apr 04, 2013
i won't advice u to correct it, besides what is there to correct? My nephew is left handed and my mum tried to correct him since then he has not been doing well in school and he is been very sluggish in everything
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by derolemode(m): 10:41am On Apr 04, 2013
It can be corrected at an earlier stage & NOW IS THE best time 4 dat lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by anonymousbim(f): 10:48am On Apr 04, 2013
Research has shown dat d brain is of 2 sections. Its called brain laterization which is d right hemisphere n d left hemisphere. Left hemisphere works with right handedness while right hemisphere works wit left handedness. This hemispheres affects d speech n reasoning of a child. Therefore if a child is using left leave d child since u cant change d hemisphere of dat child
Re: Left-handedness In Children; Can It Be Corrected? by vilively: 11:23am On Apr 04, 2013
jidewin:
100% corrrect

Don't be fooled...he is wrong
It using right a habit u formed after you were born
..And pls donttell me that using rght is natural..coz then u will be contradicting urself
Using left is destiny,just like using right...because it is not as common as right doesn't mean it is odd.
Just because u r using a left wheeled car doesn't mean a right wheeled one is odd...
People need to stop being onesided cause its what kills this world...'the way I see it isthe way it is'
Its a very wrong notion

Being A LEFTY IS NOT A HABIT I FORMED ...I ws born tobe a lefty nd I'm sooo proud of it
Just like u were born to be a righty...live with it

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Police Invitation; What Could Go Wrong At The Police Station? / Which Do I Choose; Marriage Or Job? / "Churches Should Add "Let Me Die The Day I Cheat On You" To Marriage Vow"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.