Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,724 members, 7,955,715 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 01:38 PM

Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? (23672 Views)

Parents Send Soldiers To Beat Guests At Son's Wedding / Sending Your Children To Boarding Schools More Dangerous Than You Can Imagine. / What Tactics Do Parents Employ To Stop Their Kids From Bedwetting? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by coalcoal1(m): 8:21pm On Jan 18, 2013
I went to a boarding school so did all of my siblings. My wife also went to a boarding school.
I know that times have changed and there is a high degree of moral decadence.
But then, I still believe that there are a few good schools out there. My first daughter will be 10 in a few months and my wife and I intend sending her to a boarding school later this year.
The truth is .....this is the time a child learns to be independent. Fine, they will make mistakes but then, one must give them a chance to grow amd think independently as long as their foundation is solid.
I'll come back and say more

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by bukatyne(f): 8:21pm On Jan 18, 2013
ItsModella: So Federal Schools are really rugged. My cousin went to FGC Ijanikin, it was there he lost his two front teeth cos some senior pushed him and he fell face first on the concrete ground..like wtf? His parents refused to learn from that experience and sent his younger ones to FGC Okigwe. God knows if that happens to my child, all hell would break loose.
lol @ FGC ijanikin with al d stress n all that, I love that school! @OP: what works for child A might not work for B! A day student in my set didn't come to school for a semester, she was always leaving home to visit her man friend. If a child is day, won"t d parents go to work? Won't d child mix with boarders? Won't d child mix in d neighborhood, in church? Training a child is more complex than boarding

8 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by LagosBoi2(m): 8:23pm On Jan 18, 2013
i went to gregs and we've got enuf gays, i excaped the seniors because i was ugly back then and i had bad teeths. thank God. my kids will never go to b/s
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by omega25red(m): 8:24pm On Jan 18, 2013
i went to FGC jos and i must say that i saw some recent photos of that school and i would never send my child (when i have one) to that school. I remember the good times and bad times i had in that school but with how kids are today, i would certainly not send my kid to live amongst other kids (my own kid might even be the bad influence too)
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by Nobody: 8:26pm On Jan 18, 2013
[quote
author=ItsModella]So Federal
Schools are really rugged. My cousin went to FGC Ijanikin, it was there
he lost his two front teeth cos some senior pushed him and he fell face
first on the concrete ground..like wtf? His parents refused to learn
from that experience and sent his younger ones to FGC Okigwe. God knows
if that happens to my child, all hell would break
loose.
[/quote]I trust you na.
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by PedroJP(m): 8:28pm On Jan 18, 2013
o boy my parents send me there i blieve to go learn about life,i go there go smell hell. FEDERAL SCIENCE AND TECHNICAL COLLEGE OHANSO UKWA EAST Na there Calabar and PH boys wan finish me with their wickedness. Me no de stay school after exams naaa,na d next term i de jejely go collect result.
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by delors(m): 8:32pm On Jan 18, 2013
well, there may be different reasons beyond the parents' power. I was sent to boarding house when I was in primary 4! Then at a private school in Ikorodu...from there straight to a public secondary school in Ibadan...there, I learnt all there was to learn about everything bad - smoking cigarette (small thing), we*eding (now u r talking), drinking, self-help, yansh*ing...although I was a very brilliant student but those bad stuffs I picked up remained with me for a long tym before God intervened. Then from the school, straight to UNAD, another hell-hole for a teenager like me then, though for a year, then from there to Ife...and from there to living alone...so, i practically started off living far fom my parents...and developed survival instincts...now, several millions of miles across the pacific, I thank God for everything.
Secondary school boarding was hell...midnight torture, all night punishment for nothing, skin-tearing leather belt beating, seniors playing with ur 'thing', seniors stealing ur provisions, no phone calls to tell parents u r broke, u see them when u see them, temptation to steal, temptation to beg for pieces of everyhting, skinny, smelly, untidy appearance, unholy alliances, etc
But thank God. I really dont like my parents for what they did to me esp becos of the bad stuffs i picked up in sec school that almost ruined my life...but thank God for God noni...
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by dyn01: 8:35pm On Jan 18, 2013
Where are those that went to FGC jos? Pls tell dem wat Hell looks like angry

1 Like

Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by Nobody: 8:36pm On Jan 18, 2013
dshiznitplata: I'm a proud product of Ijanikin and I dint pick up any of aforementioned vices... I know a lot of peeps who were "bad boys" den and dey are 1 of d finest people walking on this planet in dere respective fields... So don't go generalising... Na dat kain tin dey vex person.... If u like carry ur broda to toronto... if pikin 1 spoil e go spoil... U no need anoda person to teach am...
thank u bo! no mind all diz ppl wey dey yarn dust.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by Nobody: 8:38pm On Jan 18, 2013
I was privileged to attend a boarding school and I would send all my children to a boarding schoo when they come of age. In my days boarders were always besting the day students, you find in a class of 50, the top 15 students are boarders.

It helps train a child to be independent. The boarding school inculcated in me the habit of waking up by 5.30am and sleeping by 10pm. Imagine a daily schedule like this for a JS3 student:

5.30 wake up bell
5.30-6.00 Morning prayers
6.00-6.30 morning chores
6.30-7.00 Bathing and dressing up
7.00-7.30 Breakfast at the Refectory
7.30-8.00 Morning Assembly
8.00-2.00 School hours
2.30-3.00 Lunch time
3.00-4.00 Siesta
4.00-6.00 Early prep (Reading)
6.00-6.30 Dinner
7.00-7.30 Evening devotion
7.30-9.45 Night Prep (Reading)
10.00. Light out

This is what a child's education should look like. I miss boarding school and cannot forget in a hurry the day I was caught passing double plates!

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by coalcoal1(m): 8:38pm On Jan 18, 2013
bukatyne: lol @ FGC ijanikin with al d stress n all that, I love that school! @OP: what works for child A might not work for B! A day student in my set didn't come to school for a semester, she was always leaving home to visit her man friend. If a child is day, won"t d parents go to work? Won't d child mix with boarders? Won't d child mix in d neighborhood, in church? Training a child is more complex than boarding

God bless you jare for your post. I still maintain that even though times have changed, I know of many parents in my days who never believed in sending their kids to the boarding house in the 80's on the premise that there is a high level of moral decadence. is it not even worse now? I believe that every era has its own unique challenges which can be overcome.
The scripture that says train up a child..... is relevant for all time

1 Like

Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by tellwisdom: 8:45pm On Jan 18, 2013
I once caught my niece boiling water from the gas..when asked what was the purpose of the water....her response was; i want to bring out a dimple from my cheek with it...whoever is deceiving her in the boarding is what i don't know sad..
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by Nobody: 8:46pm On Jan 18, 2013
Every parent, wants nothing more than to see his or her child thrive during those crucial high school, habit-forming, friend-making years. We may have different definitions of what that looks like, but I’d be surprised if any parent limited the definition to academic value, or the boarding experience, or the athletic and cultural opportunities, or any one thing.

If you’re willing to let your child go away to school, knowing how much you’ll miss him or her every single day, if you’re willing to make a huge financial sacrifice, then your greatest hope, and the reason for choosing boarding school, is that four years later, your child will have thrived best in that environment across all measures, not just have achieved excellence in one.
i miss boarding school days smiley

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by dyn01: 8:49pm On Jan 18, 2013
@Omega, whc set were u in fgcj? 100% sure u were my senior if only I met u there
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by delors(m): 8:51pm On Jan 18, 2013
coal_coal:

God bless you jare for your post. I still maintain that even though times have changed, I know of many parents in my days who never believed in sending their kids to the boarding house in the 80's on the premise that there is a high level of moral decadence. is it not even worse now? I believe that every era has its own unique challenges which can be overcome.
The scripture that says train up a child..... is relevant for all time
FGC Ijanikin is like a private school fr the ajebutters...we r talking about FGCs in rainforest areas,public secondary schools in Ibadan, Jos, Kaduna, Ede, etc where life is really defined by 'hell'...where u cannot easily run home to mummy...where 'rejects' are sent to torture other students...where visiting is just once in a month for the lucky ones...where u must never tell ur dad dat a senior beat the hell out of u unless u wan die...where as a junior, u 'll never know the real names of all the seniors except nicknames like -
Lagos Boy, Hottest, Omiata,
Fada bunky, Niran United,
Kabuki, Long nose, Spere,
Stand well well, Ijamba (disaster),
denden Buller, Sangobiyi, Jazzinho,
Ogun-ajo, Papinto, etc
(Any Loyola College student of old in da house?)

1 Like

Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by Toktee(m): 8:58pm On Jan 18, 2013
Bording school haz become the bleeding ground for lesbians..so sad,a gal in ss1 cn travel frm abuja to meet a man in minna niger state etc,when they passout to higher institutions they constitute a huge army of campus pros.titutes.may God help us
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by anitank(f): 9:03pm On Jan 18, 2013
my parents sent me to an all-girls catholic boarding school so i wont get spoilt but guess what??....i learnt every bad thing i know today from that very school grin grin grin

minus Lesbianism though angry
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by Toktee(m): 9:05pm On Jan 18, 2013
anitank: my parents sent me to an all-girls catholic boarding school so i wont get spoilt but guess what??....i learnt all the bad things i know today from that very school grin grin grin
like what and what,your church mind pls
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by coalcoal1(m): 9:07pm On Jan 18, 2013
delors:
FGC Ijanikin is like a private school fr the ajebutters...we r talking about FGCs in rainforest areas,public secondary schools in Ibadan, Jos, Kaduna, Ede, etc where life is really defined by 'hell'...where u cannot easily run home to mummy...where 'rejects' are sent to torture other students...where visiting is just once in a month for the lucky ones...where u must never tell ur dad dat a senior beat the hell out of u unless u wan die...where as a junior, u 'll never know the real names of all the seniors except nicknames like -
Lagos Boy, Hottest, Omiata,
Fada bunky, Niran United,
Kabuki, Long nose, Spere,
Stand well well, Ijamba (disaster),
denden Buller, Sangobiyi, Jazzinho,
Ogun-ajo, Papinto, etc
(Any Loyola College student of old in da house?)

I believe that there are still a few good schools out there though my preference is for mixed schools which I believe will nake the child more balanced in all aspects of life
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by anitank(f): 9:19pm On Jan 18, 2013
Toktee: like what and what,your church mind pls
all i can tell u is that i got EXPOSED going to that school, learning things i wasn't supossed to at my age........ but truth is, as awkward as it sounds i'm actually grateful for that because it has helped me thru life
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by okwutency(m): 9:20pm On Jan 18, 2013
yes o... suffer no be small but na God de train child. It was tough for me then in S.J.C.J.S OSINA, but God helped me pass out. My parents sent me there cos of Strike in Anambra State for 1 whole academic year. So i don't blame them for that, rather i thank them for such brave step to make sure i live a fulfilled life in Christ.
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by promire2004(f): 9:22pm On Jan 18, 2013
Well, personally I think d main reason why parents send their kids to boarding school is for them to learn some basic survival instincts the hard way. IMO, parents should debrief their kids about the challenges they will face as boarders. Kids should be made to understand that nothing good comes easy. I admire boarders a lot. They are usually smarter and well-organised than their counterparts in day schools.

It's pathetic that kids pick up bad habits as they interact negatively with their peers. I believe the best way to combat this issue is for parents to create a loving relationship with their kids. Been a strict disciplinarian and no-nonsense parent isn't always the solution. Rather it draws your kids further away from you and makes them even more secretive. They are therefore compelled to be gullible and vulnerable to their peers.

Another issue of utmost importance is a need for kids to be educated on sexual matters just before they enter the stage of "puberty". Teenagers are often very curious. They want to explore at the slightest opportunities. A child should be made to understand that the body is the temple of the Holy Spirit. Personally, I don't subscribe to the single boarding schools stuffs. I'd prefer the mixed school system anytime anyday. Lesbianism and homosexuality is rampant in single schools compared to mixed boarding schools. The mixed system allows healthy interactions between the opposite sexes, although not in all cases.

Good moral upbringing is a necessity in raising up a child. The fear of God should be instilled into the lives of our kids right from infancy. I really don't subscribe to extreme discipline, although correcting a child with a few strokes of whip will bring him/her to reality.

Finally, committing the affairs of the kids to God and doing what is right as a parent will go a long way to impact positively into the lives of our kids.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by BarryX(m): 9:23pm On Jan 18, 2013
I strongly believe in the principle of " what would be, would be" . Most of us who were day students cannot boldly say we were better off. I remembered vividly how I would always cry to my parents to send me to FGC Warri or preferably Ijanikin to be a boarder, and my Dad who for reasons best known to him felt I would lose my intellectual prowess (1st position student if you know what I mean) and BOOM I was "outpositioned' by a boarder student who joined our class in second term . The onus then lies on me and my loving mum to convince the dude to alter the strong convictions he had towards dormitory students but HUUUSAIIII! I left secondary school a "dayer" still love boarding school ( not the ones highlighted by the OP though) and would consider it ceteris paribus for my unborn

1 Like

Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by ignis: 9:24pm On Jan 18, 2013
hamsky: To suffer them, cos men i suffer no be small cry
Suffer Ω̴̩̩̩̥α understatement.
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by promire2004(f): 9:34pm On Jan 18, 2013
BarryX: I strongly believe in the principle of " what would be, would be" . Most of us who were day students cannot boldly say we were better off. I remembered vividly how I would always cry to my parents to send me to FGC Warri or preferably Ijanikin to be a boarder, and my Dad who for reasons best known to him felt I would lose my intellectual prowess (1st position student if you know what I mean) and BOOM I was "outpositioned' by a boarder student who joined our class in second term . The onus then lies on me and my loving mum to convince the dude to alter the strong convictions he had towards dormitory students but HUUUSAIIII! I left secondary school a "dayer" still love boarding school ( not the ones highlighted by the OP though) and would consider it ceteris paribus for my unborn

I had a very similar experience save for the fact that my contenders weren't boarders. I really missed not been a boarder, dunno y.....when I have my kids, I would gladly send them to a mixed boarding school just for them to be independent at an early age.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by coalcoal1(m): 9:36pm On Jan 18, 2013
promire2004: Well, personally I think d main reason why parents send their kids to boarding school is for them to learn some basic survival instincts the hard way. IMO, parents should debrief their kids about the challenges they will face as boarders. Kids should be made to understand that nothing good comes easy. I admire boarders a lot. They are usually smarter and well-organised than their counterparts in day schools.

It's pathetic that kids pick up bad habits as they interact negatively with their peers. I believe the best way to combat this issue is for parents to create a loving relationship with their kids. Been a strict disciplinarian and no-nonsense parent isn't always the solution. Rather it draws your kids further away from you and makes them even more secretive. They are therefore compelled to be gullible and vulnerable to their peers.

Another issue of utmost importance is a need for kids to be educated on sexual matters just before they enter the stage of "puberty". Teenagers are often very curious. They want to explore at the slightest opportunities. A child should be made to understand that the body is the temple of the Holy Spirit. Personally, I don't subscribe to the single boarding schools stuffs. I'd prefer the mixed school system anytime anyday. Lesbianism and homosexuality is rampant in single schools compared to mixed boarding schools. The mixed system allows healthy interactions between the opposite sexes, although not in all cases.

Good moral upbringing is a necessity in raising up a child. The fear of God should be instilled into the lives of our kids right from infancy. I really don't subscribe to extreme discipline, although correcting a child with a few strokes of whip will bring him/her to reality.

Finally, committing the affairs of the kids to God and doing what is right as a parent will go a long way to impact positively into the lives of our kids.

Best response so far

1 Like

Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by Nobody: 9:37pm On Jan 18, 2013
wow boarding school! i saw it all, i had both sweet and sour experiences, at the end, having passed through boarding school, six solid years, i emerged a unique, rounded and tough individual!

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by bukatyne(f): 9:43pm On Jan 18, 2013
dshiznitplata: I'm a proud product of Ijanikin and I dint pick up any of aforementioned vices... I know a lot of peeps who were "bad boys" den and dey are 1 of d finest people walking on this planet in dere respective fields... So don't go generalising... Na dat kain tin dey vex person.... If u like carry ur broda to toronto... if pikin 1 spoil e go spoil... U no need anoda person to teach am...
up IJ!
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by delors(m): 9:58pm On Jan 18, 2013
Redmosquito: Was beaten to a pulp on so many occasions!
Forced to close ur eyes when u see a senior robbing you! As in WTF! undecided undecided
The food was always horrible! Toilet just seemed like the usual rendezvous, after visiting the dining, we go just dey stroll go toilet.
Left eye once bloodied by the buckle of a belt!
Had a twisted sense of Justice! THe guilty and the innocent must be punished? undecided
Read lord of the flies, thats how it was for me!
Kids ruling kids! Purely ignorant and cold! undecided

No lies bros...na d same thing happen to me for school...walahi, boarding house na hell, especially those government owned schools...

1 Like

Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by greatgod2012(f): 10:05pm On Jan 18, 2013
As for me, God spare our (me and hubby)lives, none of our children are going to boarding house.

Boarding house causes more harm to a child's life than good. I have so many examples around me, but not in d mood to type long post.
May God help us all.
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by titsqueez(m): 10:10pm On Jan 18, 2013
so we can knack without any interruption grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Moment Lady Calls Her Dad Before Accepting Her Fiance’s Marriage Proposal (vid) / My Wedding Pics / Nigerian woman cries out for help after Swedish Govt. took her kids from her

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.