Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,776 members, 7,810,025 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:50 PM

Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? (23260 Views)

Parents Send Soldiers To Beat Guests At Son's Wedding / Sending Your Children To Boarding Schools More Dangerous Than You Can Imagine. / What Tactics Do Parents Employ To Stop Their Kids From Bedwetting? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by DukeNija(m): 6:03pm On Jan 18, 2013
Boarding Schools used to be an opportunity for children to be independent, well trained and disciplined, well, that was back in the 90's.

Parents need to realise that boarding schools here in Nigeria are not what they used to be. Innocent Children are exposed to harsh conditions which they have to adapt to, sometimes costing them their Values.

A Close friend just revealed to me how his first sexual experience was with a Male Senior in his Boarding school. Its was a really sad story.

Another asked me why I don't drink, and I said "I don't know".
He said he started drinking in Jss2 while in boarding school.
He's from a good Family.

A third(Female presently in SS1) was smoking and drinking at this xmas party, and I was disturbed by her age. She then revealed to me that she was in boarding school, where she learnt stuffs.

Let me not even talk of how disorganised, uncordinated and lost my kid brother was back at Ijanikin. Thank God he didn't pick those afformentioned vices and was pulled out on time. He's a Fantastic Engineering student now.
His problems stopped immediated he left.

There is something terribly wrong with boarding schools in Nigeria, especially Public schools. Homosexuality is a near lifestyle in same-sex schools, and its not any better with mixed schools where Students are taught to drink, smoke, steal and do all sorts of lewd acts to get going.

Scaling of Fence is fun, at least you get to spend the night out.
Kids are abused, bullied and what not.
Innocent Children are exposed to riff-raffs who rob them of all their morals.
Leaving your child at the mercy of strangers, both students and teachers is unjustifiable.

Whatever can be learnt at school, can be learnt better at home with the aid, love, care, protection of Parents.

Parents no matter how busy they claim to be, will still have some few moments with the Kids everyday.
Much more on weekends.

Someone pls tell me I'm wrong and overreacting which I'm sure I'm not.

17 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by Nobody: 6:07pm On Jan 18, 2013

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by DukeNija(m): 6:13pm On Jan 18, 2013
I think its just the old mentality that Boarding schools 'train' kids better than day schools.

Or else it will be negligence and irresponsibility.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 6:19pm On Jan 18, 2013
Not yet a father
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by baby124: 6:22pm On Jan 18, 2013
Dont like the concept at all. My kids spending so long with other kids that their backgrounds are not pure. Been there done that, but not for my future kids. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by damiso(f): 6:32pm On Jan 18, 2013
I attended boarding school for one term in JSS1.Not just any boarding school,Airforce Girls Military School Jos. sad.It was horrible.I was ill every other week.The cadets were mean and the seniors were just horrible bullies.My mum brought me back to Lagos after having to be flown down like 3 times in 2 months.

My younger bro on the other hand loved it.But he was in SS1 though sha and it was a private school so i guess different experience.All the same the guy is a loner.Loves his own company too much(dont know if thats due to the boarding house).

That said i would not want my kids in boarding schools but that does not mean boarding schools are totally not useful.Some kids from dysfunctional homes where there is chaos or no order might benefit from the routine of boarding house.
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by biolabee(m): 6:52pm On Jan 18, 2013
I went to boardin and would love to kid to go also
But not in nigeria

If i am able to settle abroad, there
If not then day school
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by pianogirl(f): 6:53pm On Jan 18, 2013
Apart from the notion that boarding school helps train a child to be dependent and disciplined,one major reason why parents send their children to boarding school boils down to the issue of proximity i.e.the distance from home to school..Using Lagos as a case study:For instance,if the family stays at Ikeja and the child's school is located somewhere on the Island,that's quite a distance you know..considering the rate of traffic these days..So it's only logical for the parents to send the child to boarding school to save the child the stress of leaving home too early and coming back too late..
That's just my opinion.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by DukeNija(m): 7:01pm On Jan 18, 2013
piano_girl: Apart from the notion that boarding school helps train a child to be dependent and disciplined,one major reason why parents send their children to boarding school boils down to the issue of proximity i.e.the distance from home to school..Using Lagos as a case study:For instance,if the family stays at Ikeja and the child's school is located somewhere on the Island,that's quite a distance you know..considering the rate of traffic these days..So it's only logical for the parents to send the child to boarding school to save the child the stress of leaving home too early and coming back too late..
That's just my opinion.
Ok this scenerio is quite different and understandable.
But some Parents just want to enrol their kids into Boarding schools.

Anyway, I attended 3 different private schools and did great, so they could consider changing school(above)
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by vanstanzy(m): 7:31pm On Jan 18, 2013
To give them a chance to taste the "PUDIN" without disturbance.grin grin grin Sorry did ur parents send u to boarding school?
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by kokoye(m): 7:32pm On Jan 18, 2013
So they can continue the honeymoon ......??

1 Like

Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by Nobody: 7:32pm On Jan 18, 2013
Remember you hit me below the belt in the swiss bank post, I wont retaliate. however, this post makes me assume you were never a boarding student.

The reason is apparent, straightforward. TO TOUGHEN UP YOUR WARD. Shikena.

any other reason na wash!!!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by vanstanzy(m): 7:37pm On Jan 18, 2013
Duke_Nija: I think its just the old mentality that Boarding schools 'train' kids better than day schools.

Or else it will be negligence and irresponsibility.

Exactly my tot, "a sign of negligence and irresponsibility."
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by Nobody: 7:37pm On Jan 18, 2013
I was sent to a boarding school because I was a rebel. My parents believed that being very away from home was the best treatment I could get since I could no longer keep contact with my fellow rebellious peers.
It changed me anyway.

But I'll never send my child to a boarding school. I don't want them to be gays
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by hamsky: 7:42pm On Jan 18, 2013
To suffer them, cos men i suffer no be small cry
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by Pacesetter2: 7:43pm On Jan 18, 2013
I went to mine just because of the name & that my brother went there...
It teaches ability to cope with others during little....when in boarding school...i mean government...you do things together & share views...
beating addict...i remember the rising up early by 5 to be arranged for beating.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by Nobody: 7:43pm On Jan 18, 2013
It is for the child to learn how to take care of himself/herself. Yes, they will be exposed to harsh, moral-decadent conditions but that is what you still get in the "outside world". you get my drift?

anyhow it is "pikin wey go spoil, go spoil" even if they are in a monastery.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by Redmosquito(m): 7:44pm On Jan 18, 2013
Was beaten to a pulp on so many occasions!
Forced to close ur eyes when u see a senior robbing you! As in WTF! undecided undecided
The food was always horrible! Toilet just seemed like the usual rendezvous, after visiting the dining, we go just dey stroll go toilet.
Left eye once bloodied by the buckle of a belt!
Had a twisted sense of Justice! THe guilty and the innocent must be punished? undecided
Read lord of the flies, thats how it was for me!
Kids ruling kids! Purely ignorant and cold! undecided

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by belovedaja(m): 7:48pm On Jan 18, 2013
If not 4 GOD's grace i wud hav bin a homosexual. Den(1991) i neva knew of wat it was. I was jst ten yrs old. A senior student used 2 hav sex in bw my legs. I tank GOD 4 d deliverance.
My children wil nt go to boarding school. There is nothing like over reaction on this issue. Most parents are ignorant nd docile abt their children education. It is pain to see parent who re eager to give their children best education nd wealth without values. The first sch a child wil attend is the home. I tank GOD 4 my parents.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by DJDOLA(m): 7:49pm On Jan 18, 2013
Most parent that send there children 2 boarding sch is parent dat don't have time 2 train there children they are so busy doing other things
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by aieromon(m): 7:51pm On Jan 18, 2013
I had a lovely time in a public boarding school and wouldn't think twice about sending my kids to the "barracks".
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by sweetcocoa(f): 7:52pm On Jan 18, 2013
No kid of mine will be in boarding school, the gods forbid it.

The detriments far outweigh the gains IMO.
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by heykims(m): 7:54pm On Jan 18, 2013
I dont have much grudges against parents sending their male child to boarding houses, all I know is dt female boarding houses are also breedinghouses for lesbians...

1 Like

Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by jamesbridget13(f): 7:55pm On Jan 18, 2013
I went to a Federal Govt College n i was a boarder, i suffer no be small, my children wont go lailai
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by crackhaus: 7:58pm On Jan 18, 2013
This is a really good question though, I mean personally I don't see the point in it.
The formative years of a person is usually their pre-teen as well as their teenage years, why would I want my kid to learn everyother thing from peers who know no better? There will be enough time for them to be out of the home in university if that's what the parents claim to achieve.

quote author=Duke_Nija]Boarding Schools used to be an opportunity for children to be independent, well trained and disciplined, well, that was back in the 90's.

Parents need to realise that boarding schools here in Nigeria are not what they used to be. Innocent Children are exposed to harsh conditions which they have to adapt to, sometimes costing them their Values.

A Close friend just revealed to me how his first sexual experience was with a Male Senior in his Boarding school. Its was a really sad story.

Another asked me why I don't drink, and I said "I don't know".
He said he started drinking in Jss2 while in boarding school.
He's from a good Family.

A third(Female presently in SS1) was smoking and drinking at this xmas party, and I was disturbed by her age. She then revealed to me that she was in boarding school, where she learnt stuffs.

Let me not even talk of how disorganised, uncordinated and lost my kid brother was back at Ijanikin. Thank God he didn't pick those afformentioned vices and was pulled out on time. He's a Fantastic Engineering student now.
His problems stopped immediated he left.

There is something terribly wrong with boarding schools in Nigeria, especially Public schools. Homosexuality is a near lifestyle in same-sex schools, and its not any better with mixed schools where Students are taught to drink, smoke, steal and do all sorts of lewd acts to get going.

Scaling of Fence is fun, at least you get to spend the night out.
Kids are abused, bullied and what not.
Innocent Children are exposed to riff-raffs who rob them of all their morals.
Leaving your child at the mercy of strangers, both students and teachers is unjustifiable.

Whatever can be learnt at school, can be learnt better at home with the aid, love, care, protection of Parents.

Parents no matter how busy they claim to be, will still have some few moments with the Kids everyday.
Much more on weekends.

Someone pls tell me I'm wrong and overreacting which I'm sure I'm not.[/quote]
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by beezman(m): 8:01pm On Jan 18, 2013
i learnt independence in boarding skool,though some vices included but it's not all bad.as u grow older and wiser,u'll drop d 1s u don't need like bad habits when d time is right.
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by horlajide: 8:03pm On Jan 18, 2013
i am a product of one.different strokes for different people.some are made,some are marred.its a plus for me,i was the only child in the home sent to a boarding school.was able to convince mumsie to lemme go cos she was initially reluctant.btw i suffer no be small sha. grin

PRO UNITATE

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by Nobody: 8:04pm On Jan 18, 2013
So Federal Schools are really rugged. My cousin went to FGC Ijanikin, it was there he lost his two front teeth cos some senior pushed him and he fell face first on the concrete ground..like wtf? His parents refused to learn from that experience and sent his younger ones to FGC Okigwe. God knows if that happens to my child, all hell would break loose.
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by equily(m): 8:10pm On Jan 18, 2013
U've all spoken wel,,,,,bt 1 tin is 4 sure,,,,,,,,,,a boardin student can follow bad company n b lyk dem if he /she chuzez 2 do dat,,cuz attndin boardin skul is nt a genuin reason 4 a child 2 addict 2 all dis negative attitude

1 Like

Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by dshiznitplata(m): 8:13pm On Jan 18, 2013
I'm a proud product of Ijanikin and I dint pick up any of aforementioned vices... I know a lot of peeps who were "bad boys" den and dey are 1 of d finest people walking on this planet in dere respective fields... So don't go generalising... Na dat kain tin dey vex person.... If u like carry ur broda to toronto... if pikin 1 spoil e go spoil... U no need anoda person to teach am...

11 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by Nobody: 8:13pm On Jan 18, 2013
To learn how to be Boring undecided
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by LaBonito(f): 8:14pm On Jan 18, 2013
so dat Afam4eva will not corrupt dem, u kn ursef grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Battle For Child Custody For A Deceased Friend / Thread For Single Mothers/ Fathers / When You See A Cancer Women Run For Your Dear Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.