Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,317 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:11 AM

Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? (23276 Views)

Parents Send Soldiers To Beat Guests At Son's Wedding / Sending Your Children To Boarding Schools More Dangerous Than You Can Imagine. / What Tactics Do Parents Employ To Stop Their Kids From Bedwetting? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by troy20(m): 10:16pm On Jan 18, 2013
Pace$etter:
I went to mine just because of the name & that my brother went there...
It teaches ability to cope with others during little....when in boarding school...i mean government...you do things together & share views...
beating addict...i remember the rising up early by 5 to be arranged for beating.
kinda familiar.wat skool ist dat?
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by ibehenryrocket(m): 10:17pm On Jan 18, 2013
Went to Nigeria Navy Sec.Sch Abeokuta. In Jss. 2 way back 96 was always ratting seniors out who bullied me cos I hadd a mean no nonsense cousin who was doing his PPA as a corper there. He brushed them wella 4 me. Problem was nobody told me corpers spent only one mandatory year. So I got carried away with reporting dem seniors. When my coz packed his bags to leave nobody told me to pack my own bags & leave, cos I knew I was goin 2 die d following term. LOL grin grin

8 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by Gambrosia: 10:20pm On Jan 18, 2013
I looooooooove boarding schools. cool
Children learn to be independent. . . I always keep a close watch. . .visit regularly. . .and have a SUPERVISOR to keep tab on them within the boarding facility.
The greatest form of socialization too!
THEY LEARN TO USE THEIR BRAINS. . . while developing the greatest of socialization skills!

I PREFER A SCHOOL WITH MALES AND FEMALES! cool

Most importantly. . .I HAVE MY OWN LIFE TO LIVE. . . it is a way to prepare them to live theirs. . .instead of becoming social-misfits unable to develop a healthy self-esteem.

You just have to look for a good boarding school. . .with all the right facilities. Not every child is meant to be a 'boarder'. . . . evaluate how you child is coping. . . and determine the need to pull him or her OUT!

Please, make sure you teach him or her HOW TO REPORT AND DEAL WITH BULLIES AND THE DANGERS OF JOINING GANGS AND GROUPS.

Investigate the social backgrounds of the other children they may bring home. . .and screen for those with 'dysfunctional' gene-pools and OCCULTIC mentalities! kiss

Se-x education should be discussed FREQUENTLY!!!! cool

1 Like

Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by adaptor4all: 10:42pm On Jan 18, 2013
n.oxide:
It is for the child to learn how to take care of himself/herself. Yes, they will be exposed to harsh, moral-decadent conditions but that is what you still get in the "outside world". you get my drift?

anyhow it is "pikin wey go spoil, go spoil" even if they are in a monastery.
So d child wan cater 4 him-/hersef...na wa oo..maybe u na yahoo advicer..ur pikin wan start suffer early shey..dats ur drift nw...mtcheeeeew
Wch 1 con b who go spoil go spoil..abi u dey fulfil ur destiny 2 b mumu? Pls have some sense
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by adaptor4all: 10:44pm On Jan 18, 2013
n.oxide:
It is for the child to learn how to take care of himself/herself. Yes, they will be exposed to harsh, moral-decadent conditions but that is what you still get in the "outside world". you get my drift?

anyhow it is "pikin wey go spoil, go spoil" even if they are in a monastery.
So d child wan cater 4 him-/hersef...na wa oo..maybe u na staff adviser on yahoo affairs..ur pikin wan start suffer early shey..dats ur drift nw...mtcheeeeew
Wch 1 con b who go spoil go spoil..abi u dey fulfil ur destiny 2 b mumu? Pls have some sense
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by Donsammi(m): 10:45pm On Jan 18, 2013
i went to boarding sch for only one term ss1.... whu knws gss kuduru bwari,abuja...that sch is 2nd hell....
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by diportivo: 10:45pm On Jan 18, 2013
I see day students strolling to school at 9am and I wonder........if u are α border how wld u even miss assembly talkless of first period?I went to two diff schools for jss and sss classes and I had the best of times as α border in both..OBHS oyo and GCK epe.....though suffering been dey;but as ∂ holy book says,it only endured for the night.after school we look back;remember the sufferings and den we laugh abt it.I'll gladly send my children to boarding schools...na by force sef
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by Nobody: 10:46pm On Jan 18, 2013
Are you implying that all day students are morally sound and saints?

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by Youngzedd(m): 10:49pm On Jan 18, 2013
J12: I was sent to a boarding school because I was a rebel. My parents believed that being very away from home was the best treatment I could get since I could no longer keep contact with my fellow rebellious peers.
It changed me anyway.

But I'll never send my child to a boarding school. I don't want them to be gays

The main point of this thread is just the highlighted post.

Na that one suppose fear us pass.

I knew this during my secondary school 2008, we do have them, they nearly knack my friend, not to talk of now they are everywhere.

Satan is wicked!
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by adetowumi(f): 11:20pm On Jan 18, 2013
Mine was wonderful, started 4rm Jss 1 to Sss 3 I suffered though and wen my mummy comes 2 visit me she will alwys be crying tht am suffering but I will tell her am enjoying mysef. After much tough tyms 4rm seniors being tht I was sturborn, I was able 2 save my sef @ last and my bulk and tings become a no go area. I enjoyed it and if I av my way my kids will also attend boarding skool.
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by damula(m): 11:47pm On Jan 18, 2013
dshiznitplata: I'm a proud product of Ijanikin and I dint pick up any of aforementioned vices... I know a lot of peeps who were "bad boys" den and dey are 1 of d finest people walking on this planet in dere respective fields... So don't go generalising... Na dat kain tin dey vex person.... If u like carry ur broda to toronto... if pikin 1 spoil e go spoil... U no need anoda person to teach am...
no lies thomas ..in my view boarding house remains d best...it builds in d child strong will and maturity tho activities of students in boarding house can be checked... Proudly FGCL...pro unitate all the way..

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by amtalkin(f): 11:58pm On Jan 18, 2013
.......Boarding Schools not for a child you truly love
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by FindOut(m): 12:59am On Jan 19, 2013
Duke_Nija: Boarding Schools used to be an opportunity for children to be independent, well trained and disciplined, well, that was back in the 90's.

Let me not even talk of how disorganised, uncordinated and lost my kid brother was back at Ijanikin. Thank God he didn't pick those afformentioned vices and was pulled out on time. He's a Fantastic Engineering student now.
His problems stopped immediated he left.

Someone pls tell me I'm wrong and overreacting which I'm sure I'm not.

At first bolded, I spent 6 wonderful yet crazy, annoying yet memorable years at that school. Yes it was crazy at times especially when we were juniors but I'm glad i went through all of it. I learnt a lot of good things and some bad things there no doubt, but the kind of training i had received at home made me know which to follow and which to avoid. Would I send my kids to a boarding house? wonderful YES. Infact, i would have started singing it to my future wife before we get married at all.lol. Up FGCL! IJ4lyf cool

@second bolded, you are not entirely wrong in your submission, but yes, YOU ARE DEFINITELY OVERREACTING smiley
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by free2ryhme: 1:05am On Jan 19, 2013
Duke_Nija: Boarding Schools used to be an opportunity for children to be independent, well trained and disciplined, well, that was back in the 90's.

Parents need to realise that boarding schools here in Nigeria are not what they used to be. Innocent Children are exposed to harsh conditions which they have to adapt to, sometimes costing them their Values.

A Close friend just revealed to me how his first sexual experience was with a Male Senior in his Boarding school. Its was a really sad story.

Another asked me why I don't drink, and I said "I don't know".
He said he started drinking in Jss2 while in boarding school.
He's from a good Family.

A third(Female presently in SS1) was smoking and drinking at this xmas party, and I was disturbed by her age. She then revealed to me that she was in boarding school, where she learnt stuffs.

Let me not even talk of how disorganised, uncordinated and lost my kid brother was back at Ijanikin. Thank God he didn't pick those afformentioned vices and was pulled out on time. He's a Fantastic Engineering student now.
His problems stopped immediated he left.

There is something terribly wrong with boarding schools in Nigeria, especially Public schools. Homosexuality is a near lifestyle in same-sex schools, and its not any better with mixed schools where Students are taught to drink, smoke, steal and do all sorts of lewd acts to get going.

Scaling of Fence is fun, at least you get to spend the night out.
Kids are abused, bullied and what not.
Innocent Children are exposed to riff-raffs who rob them of all their morals.
Leaving your child at the mercy of strangers, both students and teachers is unjustifiable.

Whatever can be learnt at school, can be learnt better at home with the aid, love, care, protection of Parents.

Parents no matter how busy they claim to be, will still have some few moments with the Kids everyday.
Much more on weekends.

Someone pls tell me I'm wrong and overreacting which I'm sure I'm not.

y is it that after 60 yrs u are asking dis question
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by Sagamite(m): 1:06am On Jan 19, 2013
baby_123: Dont like the concept at all. My kids spending so long with other kids that their backgrounds are not pure. Been there done that, but not for my future kids. undecided

So you mean when I impregnate you and then want to send the child to £32K-a-year Eton, you would say "Hell No"?
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by FindOut(m): 1:06am On Jan 19, 2013
dshiznitplata: I'm a proud product of Ijanikin and I dint pick up any of aforementioned vices... I know a lot of peeps who were "bad boys" den and dey are 1 of d finest people walking on this planet in dere respective fields... So don't go generalising... Na dat kain tin dey vex person.... If u like carry ur broda to toronto... if pikin 1 spoil e go spoil... U no need anoda person to teach am...

Nice one jorrrr. Its those who didn't attend that criticize grin. what set?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by FindOut(m): 1:17am On Jan 19, 2013
ItsModella: So Federal Schools are really rugged. My cousin went to FGC Ijanikin, it was there he lost his two front teeth cos some senior pushed him and he fell face first on the concrete ground..like wtf? His parents refused to learn from that experience and sent his younger ones to FGC Okigwe. God knows if that happens to my child, all hell would break loose.

His parents knew that their son breaking his teeth was not enough reason to discard the boarding house system. the experience of growing up with kids from different backgrounds and exposure is something you will never ever be able to give your child at home. Don't worry, many parents have raised more hell than you can possibly raise. Guess what, most of those parents usually still brought their kids back the following term.lol. i went to Ijanikin, a school where you find kids of the rich,the very rich, the poor, the influential, the very influential e.t.c. so trust me when i say people raised hell.......in vain usually grin lol

If you have loads of money and you child is brilliant, no, very brilliant, then simply send him to LJC (Loyola Jesuit College) in Abuja. My kids dey go boarding house sha.lol

1 Like

Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by FindOut(m): 1:21am On Jan 19, 2013
delors:
FGC Ijanikin is like a private school fr the ajebutters...we r talking about FGCs in rainforest areas,public secondary schools in Ibadan, Jos, Kaduna, Ede, etc where life is really defined by 'hell'...where u cannot easily run home to mummy...where 'rejects' are sent to torture other students...where visiting is just once in a month for the lucky ones...where u must never tell ur dad dat a senior beat the hell out of u unless u wan die...where as a junior, u 'll never know the real names of all the seniors except nicknames like -
Lagos Boy, Hottest, Omiata,
Fada bunky, Niran United,
Kabuki, Long nose, Spere,
Stand well well, Ijamba (disaster),
denden Buller, Sangobiyi, Jazzinho,
Ogun-ajo, Papinto, etc
(Any Loyola College student of old in da house?)
HESCUS ME Senor, some people broke their teeth there o.lol. Loyola is the real school for ajebutters. Brilliant ajebutters.lol
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by FindOut(m): 1:25am On Jan 19, 2013
damula: no lies thomas ..in my view boarding house remains d best...it builds in d child strong will and maturity tho activities of students in boarding house can be checked... Proudly FGCL...pro unitate all the way..

na so we plenty reach for here? lol. anyway, some of una fit don graduate before them born me sef.lol. School is almost 38 years old.lol
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by promire2004(f): 1:27am On Jan 19, 2013
coal_coal:

Best response so far

Thank you so much. I'm flattered.
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by Nobody: 1:37am On Jan 19, 2013
Loyola college Ibadan, st. Patric's , ISI , ohhh goner those days early '90s grin grin listing to Keith sweat ummmm reminiscing grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by pak: 4:03am On Jan 19, 2013
jidegirl12: Loyola college Ibadan, st. Patric's , ISI , ohhh goner those days early '90s grin grin listing to Keith sweat ummmm reminiscing grin

. . .then you're younger than I thought.

In my Jss 1, the vogue then was arrested development (loved everyday people to bits), boys 2 men, MC hammer and Bobby Brown. Keith sweat didn't have his break through yet.

On the local scene, there was this - 'sotey you carry O - e belle' song, one very razz song but gained a lot traction.

The good ol days of FGCID
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by Justypeters: 6:05am On Jan 19, 2013
Well,i still believe that some boarding schools are still inorder in terms of teaching the students moral and displine.I attended one and would like my kids to go through it as well.I know that there is high level of immorality in the society and schools these days.The training both academically i had in the seminary is second to non and that truly shaped my life till date.Those days they looked tough as punishment but after that u realise it was the best that happened in your life.There could be some social vices there now but will never be like an ordinary private or public boarding schoool.So i will also like my kids to be trained there as well.The choice of furthering for priesthood is optional after secondary and not by force in any way.But passing through the system is one good experience that will not be forgotten easily.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by Sagamite(m): 6:59am On Jan 19, 2013
jidegirl12: Loyola college Ibadan, st. Patric's , ISI , ohhh goner those days early '90s grin grin listing to Keith sweat ummmm reminiscing grin

pak:

. . .then you're younger than I thought.

In my Jss 1, the vogue then was arrested development (loved everyday people to bits), boys 2 men, MC hammer and Bobby Brown. Keith sweat didn't have his break through yet.

On the local scene, there was this - 'sotey you carry O - e belle' song, one very razz song but gained a lot traction.

The good ol days of FGCID

Kai! This people old o. shocked

In my own secondary school days na Chris Brown, Drake and Rihanna we dey listen to. grin tongue
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by lagcity(m): 7:21am On Jan 19, 2013
Redmosquito: Was beaten to a pulp on so many occasions!
Forced to close ur eyes when u see a senior robbing you! As in WTF! undecided undecided
The food was always horrible! Toilet just seemed like the usual rendezvous, after visiting the dining, we go just dey stroll go toilet.
Left eye once bloodied by the buckle of a belt!
Had a twisted sense of Justice! THe guilty and the innocent must be punished? undecided
Read lord of the flies, thats how it was for me!
Kids ruling kids! Purely ignorant and cold! undecided

You've said it all. Lord of the Flies.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by perrychocks(f): 7:29am On Jan 19, 2013
I depends ooo.most private expensive school re well disciplined.
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by phecs: 7:31am On Jan 19, 2013
To me sincerely!!!boardin school is nt characterise by All negative u started thy.is a learning curve dat show ur inner strenght.self determination and how to independent in d longrun.if ur offsprings is goin there to look for negativity he Or she wl see such vice versa.I finished frm boardin a school!and @ d age of 23!started zoomin out frm nigeria alone to hustle even in a country dat doesn't speak english!and so far my friends also dat we all finished together re doin gr8.
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by dshiznitplata(m): 7:32am On Jan 19, 2013
Find Out!:

Nice one jorrrr. Its those who didn't attend that criticize grin. what set?
na so d tin go...04set..d last of Mr Fagbayi....sori Mrs Fagbayi...lol
Find Out!:

HESCUS ME Senor, some people broke their teeth there o.lol. Loyola is the real school for ajebutters. Brilliant ajebutters.lol
pls tell d misinformed fellow...I remba den dere was a senior in ss3 who made d full ss2 to sleep in class n anywere nyt falls...frm class nobody goes to d hostel unless an informant says d senior isn't in skool...trust me...its like ur worst nytmare came alive..
bukatyne: up IJ!
IJ for lyf....Fagbayi for lyf...Sobogun for lyf....rotflmao...
damula: no lies thomas ..in my view boarding house remains d best...it builds in d child strong will and maturity tho activities of students in boarding house can be checked... Proudly FGCL...pro unitate all the way..
na so d tin go...hw do I get to U?.. seems u knw too muchangry angry
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by onuwaje(m): 7:46am On Jan 19, 2013
Everything in life must bring out positive or negative results in life.. I am a product of the boarding house(FGC WARRI) and i am proud of it. While in the boarding school you are made to see †ђξ reality of life. The positive part of the boarding school includes
1. Its exposes you to take reasonable decisions on ur own without the consent of ur parents(like reading, sanitation,etc)
2. It encourages us to be semi dependent and this can the helpful in life
So far so good i have seen a handful of boarding house products that have gone waywards sha but the boarding house have most prominent people in societies today. Governors,doctors,etc present delta state governor is a product of FGC WARRI... So For me i wouldn't mind sending any of my kids to †ђξ boarding house because a good boarding house will not allow their students to go haywire..
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by nuges1(m): 7:52am On Jan 19, 2013
Some parents think that they are not really strong enough to train there children,strong in d sense that,they feel if this children were to be left with them during there formative yrs they will grow wayward probably mayb they are too soft or something and they don't want it.
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by doopsy(f): 8:06am On Jan 19, 2013
ibehenry@rocket:
Went to Nigeria Navy Sec.Sch Abeokuta. In Jss. 2 way back 96 was always ratting seniors out who bullied me cos I hadd a mean no nonsense cousin who was doing his PPA as a corper there. He brushed them wella 4 me. Problem was nobody told me corpers spent only one mandatory year. So I got carried away with reporting dem seniors. When my coz packed his bags to leave nobody told me to pack my own bags & leave, cos I knew I was goin 2 die d following term. LOL grin grin
cheesy
Re: Why Do Parents Send Their Kids To Boarding Schools? by ichidodo: 8:50am On Jan 19, 2013
Product of f.g.c Odogbolu. #bestdaysofmyteenagelife#

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

End of story. / Pregnant Mom, Her Two Kids Burnt To Death In Anambra House Fire. Photos / If You Cook For Your Wife Heaven Will Not Fall!" Nigerian Lawyer Writes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.