Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,316 members, 7,826,254 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 11:50 AM

Lagos: Mega City Or Mega Madness? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos: Mega City Or Mega Madness? (16195 Views)

Mega-City: Lagos Ranked Alongside NewYork & Beijing (photo) / Rivers State Governor Rotimi Amechi Dancing To Davido's "Aye" At APC Lagos Mega / LAGOS MEGA RALLY: Jonathan Stalled $1.354bn Lekki Deep Sea Port - Fashola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos: Mega City Or Mega Madness? by blackbeau1(f): 1:55pm On Jan 21, 2013
Mega madness.if the government can't carry out its operations with little respect for the little man,then the developement that the government is bringing to the people won't be appreciated

1 Like

Re: Lagos: Mega City Or Mega Madness? by thoth: 1:57pm On Jan 21, 2013
mapet: Your sister was once a VC and told you that income from school fees alone can build the infrastructure
1. That is damn ridiculous.
2. Either you're ignorant, economical with the truth or someone ran a mushroom administration.
3. Even notable universities in the world still rely on subventions, money from the institution foundations, private sector investments and support and government support.

I did not ask for insults but i would like you to list the facilities that were built in LASU and what it does. Provide an estimate for the number of students currently enrolled in the university and see other posters do the maths for you.
A number of nations put themselves in the situation that SOME of its universities DEPEND on goverment loans. A good example is the united states. The tuition fees kept increasing while the peoples income was still same so fewer students were able to enroll and for those schools to maintain its staff and ALREADY BUILT facilities in needs external assistance.
Somehow i believe you are confusing government sponsored research grants and facilities with government help, loans of this category does not have any link whatsoever with students tuition fees or the school subsistence. Those facilities were built for goverment research and for goverment interest.
Please give us a university in Europe as an example.
Mind you i was born and raised in France.
Re: Lagos: Mega City Or Mega Madness? by cap28: 2:02pm On Jan 21, 2013
what i still do not get about the majority of people on this forum supporting fashola's draconian economic policies is that many of them despite pretending not to fall into that category are infact poor - poverty is of course relative and many nigerians can not afford the basic neccessities of life eg decent accommodation, health care and access to education - all thanks to a govt that prefers to cater to the needs of the 1%.

It is very clear from many of the responses on here that many nigerians lack basic understanding of how capitalism works hence the championing of a policy that keeps them mired in poverty for life. i find it saddening that some nigerians on this forum do not understand that Fashola does not and will never represent their collective interests, the mark of a civilised soceity is when you have a safety net in place that ensures that the most vulnerable people in society are not reduced to destitution due to cruel and callous govt policies designed to ensure the rich stay rich whilst simultanenously reducing the poor to scavengers. The irony is that many of these same people have fled nigeria to escape these kind of conditions and have been fortunate enough to benefit from living in countries that provide these same social safety nets to their populace.

5 Likes

Re: Lagos: Mega City Or Mega Madness? by sucess001(m): 2:18pm On Jan 21, 2013
senbonzakura_kageyoshi:

At the risk of sounding elitist, i'll say let the poor move to rivers state in that case. Funny thing is, most of you guys complaining are not from Lagos state. If other state governors are doing their jobs so well, why are people still trooping into Lagos state? You guys fail to state the FG's responsibility, or the responsibilities of the state governments of over half the people that reside in Lagos state, but when it comes to bashing the LSG, you become champions. Other state governments borrow money....and we can't see even flowers and gardens to show for it! Look, not all states have to do things the same way...the Lagos state governemnt has decided which way it wants the state to follow....anyone that says they can't see what the LSG is doing, either the worst lier in history or incredibly sense.

with all due respect to this guy who said dis...your comment is s.tupid. Its more annoying that the Lagos Governor has said sometin quite similar before. whoever told u Lagos is meant for some class of people or indigenes?

The Nigerian Constitution recognizes citizens, not indigenes for Christ sakes! This shortsighted and 'its our state' mentality' is the reason ACN can never have national spread.

Mind you....i ve always voted for the ACN in times past and i was born and bred in Lagos, albeit my parents are from Ondo state.

How has your comment affected the argument that Fashola's government is elitist?

A lot of pple started off and were fed from monies gotten from these 'street trading'. They are some of the most popular people you know in the society now. Am sure if Fashola was governor then...they all will mostly be criminals now or dead.

Only d biggest i.diot will defend Fashola's elitist poilicies like the increase in Lasu fees. And for you sayin other states dont do as much...ask yourself...do other state governors get as much income as the Lagos State Government?

Think before talking bro!
Re: Lagos: Mega City Or Mega Madness? by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 2:19pm On Jan 21, 2013
thoth:
A strange characteristic with the way people of your kind talks is that they always put things as if the Lagos state Government is a different entity with its own mind and interest and the Lagos State residents are an entirely different entity with their own interest and mind, so therefore Lagos state goverment has chosen "its way" let the Lagos state residents(supposedly another group) fend for themselves or if nothing at all jump into the lagoon.
The lagos state government has its own way and its own interest to serve(elite interests maybe) and the peoples interest should be served by who ?
Who are the Goverment and who are the people ?
Can you seperate the Governmment from the people ?
Quite appaling !!

No, i put the Lagos state government as an entity with its own mind and interests and the Federal government and other state governments as other entities with their own ideas and interests. The people of Lagos state (indigenes and residents alike) are a part of the state government because they voted it into power. It's also appalling how you have consistently avoided what the Federal government's responsibilty is in all this, choosing to paint the Lagos state governemnt as elititst. Will the roads and bridges the Lagos state government is constructing be used by the elite alone? Or the streetlights on busy roads? Or the BRT (which is hardly even used by the same elite), or the covered drainages that help reduce flooding (afterall, the elite aren't the ones that have to roll up their trousers to wade through murky waters after a heavy rain). Who even clogged up the drainages in the first place, when people would dump refuse in gutters instead of properly disposing them. Once can't say Lagos is lacking a proper waste disposal system because that is quite a lie.

Look, i am not against social security and being responsible for the less fortunate, but let's be truthful here. Okay, look at the situation of the recently burnt plank market. The state government actually tried to resettle the displaced people, but a number of them refused. In such a situation, what do you want the government to do? Kill itself for their sake? The fact is that even when the government tries to make things better in Lagos, the people make it difficult. Some silly person would go build a house over public drainage and would expect the government to compensate him when they come to demolish it. It's why i say Lagosians learn the hard way. I live in surulere, and I know i can see the impact of government in my area and around Lagos.

Why can't other state governemnts improve their states so Lagos can be decongested and the resources the state government has would match its population.....or ask the federal government to increase its allocation to Lagos...else, taxation remains a viable means for the SG to get revenue ro execute those projects you're expecting it to.
Re: Lagos: Mega City Or Mega Madness? by Symphony007: 2:22pm On Jan 21, 2013
senbonzakura_kageyoshi:

At the risk of sounding elitist, i'll say let the poor move to rivers state in that case. Funny thing is, most of you guys complaining are not from Lagos state. If other state governors are doing their jobs so well, why are people still trooping into Lagos state? You guys fail to state the FG's responsibility, or the responsibilities of the state governments of over half the people that reside in Lagos state, but when it comes to bashing the LSG, you become champions. Other state governments borrow money....and we can't see even flowers and gardens to show for it! Look, not all states have to do things the same way...the Lagos state governemnt has decided which way it wants the state to follow....anyone that says they can't see what the LSG is doing, either the worst lier in history or incredibly sense.
i never bashed fashola on the contrary i commend him for the work he has done which is very visible, but it is not all about beauty it's also about the people. It's funny driving across third mainland bridge in front is the opulent skyscrapers of marina and v.i and by the side is the extreme povery of makoko. I love that scene because it will serve as a permanent reminder to all the elites and the foreign visitors moving to the island of the grand poverty that exist in fashol's "mega city".
Re: Lagos: Mega City Or Mega Madness? by thoth: 2:34pm On Jan 21, 2013
senbonzakura_kageyoshi:

No, i put the Lagos state government as an entity with its own mind and interests and the Federal government and other state governments as other entities with their own ideas and interests. The people of Lagos state (indigenes and residents alike) are a part of the state government because they voted it into power.
After reading that i really have no reason left to continue debating this issue with you. I sincerely respect you view of things even though i cannot settle with it. I wouldn't in my wildest moment wish to be part of such Goverment you just described. Thanks.
Re: Lagos: Mega City Or Mega Madness? by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 2:38pm On Jan 21, 2013
sucess001:

with all due respect to this guy who said dis...your comment is s.tupid. Its more annoying that the Lagos Governor has said sometin quite similar before. whoever told u Lagos is meant for some class of people or indigenes?

The Nigerian Constitution recognizes citizens, not indigenes for Christ sakes! This shortsighted and 'its our state' mentality' is the reason ACN can never have national spread.

Mind you....i ve always voted for the ACN in times past and i was born and bred in Lagos, albeit my parents are from Ondo state.

How has your comment affected the argument that Fashola's government is elitist?

A lot of pple started off and were fed from monies gotten from these 'street trading'. They are some of the most popular people you know in the society now. Am sure if Fashola was governor then...they all will mostly be criminals now or dead.

Only d biggest i.diot will defend Fashola's elitist poilicies like the increase in Lasu fees. And for you sayin other states dont do as much...ask yourself...do other state governors get as much income as the Lagos State Government?

Think before talking bro!

C'mon, don't pass yourself off as dense. Any half wit should be able to tell that the reason why i made that statement is beacuse most people that come here to criticize and bash the Lagos state government never talk about the governments of their home states. Tell me, if Anambra state (with Onitsha, a vibrant commercial city) and Abia (with Aba whose potential for production) is immense could harness their potential, do you think there would be as many indigenes of either state flocking down to Lagos in search of greener pastures. There is no state in Nigeria that doesn't have a potential for something, but the other state governments shirk their responsibilty, allow their indigenes to leave in droves and you expect the Lagos state government to provide for all these people with ease? Bayelsa state does not have a population up to half that of Lagos state, yet its allocation is that huge...what has the bayelsa state government done with all that money? Even the other states that get less allocation than Lagos (which is fair, considering size and population)what have they done with what they've been given? You guys always fail to match how much responsibility the Lagos state government shoulders that really should be the duties of other tiers of government with what resources it has at its dispsal but are always quick to point out the percieved failings. Again I ask you, if other state governments were responsible to their indigenes, would lagos be as populated as it is today?
Re: Lagos: Mega City Or Mega Madness? by senbonzakurakageyoshi(m): 2:41pm On Jan 21, 2013
thoth: After reading that i really have no reason left to continue debating this issue with you. I sincerely respect you view of things even though i cannot settle with it. I wouldn't in my wildest moment wish to be part of such Goverment you just described. Thanks.

Either you you have seen the logic behind that statement and can't argue it or you just want to sidestep its truth. If there is any fallacy in that statement, I would like you to kindly point it out.
Re: Lagos: Mega City Or Mega Madness? by thoth: 2:53pm On Jan 21, 2013
senbonzakura_kageyoshi:

Either you you have seen the logic behind that statement and can't argue it or you just want to sidestep its truth. If there is any fallacy in that statement, I would like you to kindly point it out.
Your views remain your views, truth will always be what the majority believes it to be. There could be no fallacy to it since your post is about your personal opinion and i duely made it clear that i will never be or even wish for any group of people to be part of that goverment you described, if you see no problem with such a government then it is alright with me.
Re: Lagos: Mega City Or Mega Madness? by Revolva(m): 3:10pm On Jan 21, 2013
Well this lagos is becoming more unbearable to the low income earners...people are getting poorer and fashola government is only concern abour mega city projects no schemes to uplift the dwellers!! Just because its a very populated city with different tribal dwellers

1 Like

Re: Lagos: Mega City Or Mega Madness? by doyinmolah: 3:18pm On Jan 21, 2013
The only constant thing in the world is change, Lagos is changing rapidly and fast becoming a mega city, NOTE: there are advantages and disadvantages, when it comes to change(some people suffer while some people enjoy). Before the start of the mega city, some things should have been put in place/order.(building of houses for people whose house have been demolished, repairing of roads and finding alternate jobs for okada riders before banning mortocycles e.t.c)

1 Like

Re: Lagos: Mega City Or Mega Madness? by atuboweke(m): 3:27pm On Jan 21, 2013
Omo_Tier1:
Rubbish, go back to school and develop your mental capacity.

Is that all u got to say? God have mercy u are the one to go back to school.
Re: Lagos: Mega City Or Mega Madness? by mapet: 4:19pm On Jan 21, 2013
1. Government will only provide affordable house to those whom they have social contract with. Now when we have a gap between the supposed "poor" (who in reality their status in Lagos constitute an apparent problem) and the truly working class in Lagos (either Civil Servant, private sector employee, artisans and other business men)then those who are have no legitimate business in Lagos will subjected harsh realities. There are people that migrated into Lagos to seek greener pastures; well body is well within his/her right to seek greener pastures in new places, but when we have people with no visible means of livelihood, they seemingly end up in the wrong end of the equation.

2. I share your sentiments on provision of affordable housing. The Lagos State has launched a strategy in this regard as well; Fashola had announced this last year. But even with a provision of affordable housing, It is still the middle class that will benefit. You see those Makoko and most of the people in the shantees will not benefit. Those that argued that the option left for them is to go back to their state have a reason. (1) How will you benefit from those affordable houses if you don't pay tax (2) How will you benefit if Lagos State government don't have your records. Do you know the over 18-20million population of Lagos state actually from the estimated data of the housing enumeration and counts at the last censors. The people living in those shanties and slum can hardly be accounted for.

3. Please tell me what bad policies you're talking about. Save me that your "....read up what affordable housing means....." blabla, I am well conversant with it mind you.... so tell me something new.

thoth:
Government providing AFFORDABLE HOUSING does not mean giving FREE accomodation and it does not mean building a scanty bungalow and selling if for 30 million naira.
Don't confuse the way civilised governments do things with the bad policies we are accustomed to.
Read up on what affordable housing means and how many nations with success stories have done theirs.
Re: Lagos: Mega City Or Mega Madness? by mapet: 4:31pm On Jan 21, 2013
1. Of course it is apparent you weren't raised in Nigeria, else one begins to wonder the reality of some of your submission with what is the reality in Lagos. Flash news I live here.
2. The facilities built in LASU is not my argument, I thought you'll have gotten that by now. The issue is Lagos State government has taken a decision to make LASU self sustaining. That means it will pay it Wages and operating cost, it will fund researches, paying research grants, it will embark on capital projects, it will take some addition risk in capital expenditure in terms of ventures etc. Please this is not the typical "political" projects you see in the media. This is about building and maintaing and academic community. If you're interested in the project, aside from the ones some forumites have given here, I can't help you.

2. I don't know where to place your further analysis on drop in university enrolment rates in Europe and the US, I don't know which authority you are and on which basis I would take this submission as sacrosant. But these are my arguments; (1) It is not compulsory for everybody to go to the university. University is not the only means of even getting a white collar job, so all the hoopla about.

to be continued........gotta go for now

thoth:
I did not ask for insults but i would like you to list the facilities that were built in LASU and what it does. Provide an estimate for the number of students currently enrolled in the university and see other posters do the maths for you.
A number of nations put themselves in the situation that SOME of its universities DEPEND on goverment loans. A good example is the united states. The tuition fees kept increasing while the peoples income was still same so fewer students were able to enroll and for those schools to maintain its staff and ALREADY BUILT facilities in needs external assistance.
Somehow i believe you are confusing government sponsored research grants and facilities with government help, loans of this category does not have any link whatsoever with students tuition fees or the school subsistence. Those facilities were built for goverment research and for goverment interest.
Please give us a university in Europe as an example.
Mind you i was born and raised in France.
Re: Lagos: Mega City Or Mega Madness? by thoth: 6:28pm On Jan 21, 2013
mapet: 1. Government will only provide affordable house to those whom they have social contract with. Now when we have a gap between the supposed "poor" (who in reality their status in Lagos constitute an apparent problem) and the truly working class in Lagos (either Civil Servant, private sector employee, artisans and other business men)then those who are have no legitimate business in Lagos will subjected harsh realities. There are people that migrated into Lagos to seek greener pastures; well body is well within his/her right to seek greener pastures in new places, but when we have people with no visible means of livelihood, they seemingly end up in the wrong end of the equation.

2. I share your sentiments on provision of affordable housing. The Lagos State has launched a strategy in this regard as well; Fashola had announced this last year. But even with a provision of affordable housing, It is still the middle class that will benefit. You see those Makoko and most of the people in the shantees will not benefit. Those that argued that the option left for them is to go back to their state have a reason. (1) How will you benefit from those affordable houses if you don't pay tax (2) How will you benefit if Lagos State government don't have your records. Do you know the over 18-20million population of Lagos state actually from the estimated data of the housing enumeration and counts at the last censors. The people living in those shanties and slum can hardly be accounted for.

3. Please tell me what bad policies you're talking about. Save me that your "....read up what affordable housing means....." blabla, I am well conversant with it mind you.... so tell me something new.

What do you mean by those whom the Government has social contract with ?
Which people are the ones that have no legitimate business in Lagos ?
Your post reeks of arrogance and ignorance, a rash elitist view of the majority. I am quite tempted to ignore it but i won't. So i will ask you this simple question.
Since you know what affordable housing means can you tell us when and where the Lagos state government has provided one ?
Re: Lagos: Mega City Or Mega Madness? by thoth: 6:40pm On Jan 21, 2013
mapet: 1. Of course it is apparent you weren't raised in Nigeria, else one begins to wonder the reality of some of your submission with what is the reality in Lagos. Flash news I live here.
2. The facilities built in LASU is not my argument, I thought you'll have gotten that by now. The issue is Lagos State government has taken a decision to make LASU self sustaining. That means it will pay it Wages and operating cost, it will fund researches, paying research grants, it will embark on capital projects, it will take some addition risk in capital expenditure in terms of ventures etc. Please this is not the typical "political" projects you see in the media. This is about building and maintaing and academic community. If you're interested in the project, aside from the ones some forumites have given here, I can't help you.

2. I don't know where to place your further analysis on drop in university enrolment rates in Europe and the US, I don't know which authority you are and on which basis I would take this submission as sacrosant. But these are my arguments; (1) It is not compulsory for everybody to go to the university. University is not the only means of even getting a white collar job, so all the hoopla about.

to be continued........gotta go for now

Have you noticed how often you have used the word "will" ? Lagos state government will do this and do that , what has it actually done ? The only thing it has done is ridiculously increasing the tuition fees, if it has done anything else please tell us.
You have no idea of the projects you were defending and LASU will no longer be funded by the Lagos state which means it is no longer a state university ? What then is the work of the Government ?
If all you said is true then i guess they are on their way to privatise the university.
Your whole post lacks content and too arrogant to pick any useful point from. You might as well replace the whole write up with " i don't care" and it would be the same.
Re: Lagos: Mega City Or Mega Madness? by cap28: 6:52pm On Jan 21, 2013
mapet: 1. Government will only provide affordable house to those whom they have social contract with. Now when we have a gap between the supposed "poor" (who in reality their status in Lagos constitute an apparent problem) and the truly working class in Lagos (either Civil Servant, private sector employee, artisans and other business men)then those who are have no legitimate business in Lagos will subjected harsh realities. There are people that migrated into Lagos to seek greener pastures; well body is well within his/her right to seek greener pastures in new places, but when we have people with no visible means of livelihood, they seemingly end up in the wrong end of the equation.

my heart sinks when i read these kind of posts because i realise just how selfish, arrogant and greedy many nigerians are. What is the difference between a person who works in the civil service and a person who hawks food on the street - are both not victims of the same elitist govt? many of these so called civil servants can not even afford decent accommodation and live in unsanitary living conditions that no sane person in the western world would ever agree to live in.

what do you mean by those who have no legitimate business in lagos - most nigerians flock to lagos looking to find a means of livelihood so how can you describe such people as having no legitimate business in lagos - people like you are the same type of people who flock to western countries, throw away your nigerian passports and start pleading to be given political asylum in western countries - how would you feel if the authorities in those countries say to you - you have no legitimate business here, no means of livelihood and therefore need to be deported immediatley? how would you feel? many nigerians cross the sahara desert on foot and expose themselves to all sorts of hardship because they know that at the end of it they might just gain entry into a country with social safety provisions that cater to vulnerable people.

and for your information affordable housing is meant for the poorest people in society not the middle class, and as a matter of fact there is no middle class in nigeria because this group was wiped out in the 1980s when babangida started implementing the first wave of austerity measures known as SAP.

As far as knowing the number of people who reside in lagos state - is it not the job of the state govt to conduct regular censuses and collate a fully functional databse containing information about its residents?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos: Mega City Or Mega Madness? by EkoIle1: 7:22pm On Jan 21, 2013
So I just land lagos from my village poor with no money or place to stay. Now the government of lagos state must give me free or subsidized accommodation at the expense of lagos tax payers...

NL people and their comedic ideas sef.....lmao

1 Like

Re: Lagos: Mega City Or Mega Madness? by cap28: 8:04pm On Jan 21, 2013
Eko Ile: So I just land lagos from my village poor with no money or place to stay. Now the government of lagos state must give me free or subsidized accommodation at the expense of lagos tax payers...

but you have no problem landing in foreign countries and expecting the host country to give you political asylum and entitlement to state benefits - isnt it the tax payers of those countries that are footing the bill in such cases?

what is even funnier is the fact that the poor of lagos are actually subisiding the fat useless and corrupt state govt , where do you think Fashola is getting the money to fund most of his projects - let me give you a clue - it begins with a t and ends with an r.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos: Mega City Or Mega Madness? by EkoIle1: 8:17pm On Jan 21, 2013
cap28:

but you have no problem landing in foreign countries and expecting the host country to give you political asylum and entitlement to state benefits - isnt it the tax payers of those countries that are footing the bill in such cases?

what is even funnier is the fact that the poor of lagos are actually subisiding the fat useless and corrupt state govt , where do you think Fashola is getting the money to fund most of his projects - let me give you a clue - it begins with a t and ends with an r.

What is your problem? lmao. Den tell you say I dey anywhere because of asylum or the people we are talking about are in lagos because of public asylum? What kind of bogus talk and analogy is this?

For your information, Im not a lazy bum like you and no government is subsidizinghst me, I work for my daily bread and everything I have so get out of here with that rubbish.

1 Like

Re: Lagos: Mega City Or Mega Madness? by sucess001(m): 10:20pm On Jan 21, 2013
Eko Ile: So I just land lagos from my village poor with no money or place to stay. Now the government of lagos state must give me free or subsidized accommodation at the expense of lagos tax payers...

Shut up ur trap guy. So why can't pple who come from their village 'enjoy' Lagos? Does d constitution say Lagos belongs to indigenes? Or is Lagos wealth built upon d work and income of only Lagos indigenes?

Sense.less pple like u fan d embers of ethnic discord by your reckless statements. Am yoruba mind you..and am ashamed of any yoruba dt speaks thus.

Even d lagos indigenes...how many of dem hav affordable housing...if u an ACN member,I understand y u can't spew bling arguments in public. Otherwise...u probly a blind fellow lookin for govt favors.

Nb: if u reply any stu.pid reply...be ready for a lightening response from d vocal assasin. Ode

1 Like

Re: Lagos: Mega City Or Mega Madness? by Originalsly: 10:36pm On Jan 21, 2013
Hmmm....why would the State not fund its university? Is education no more a priority and responsibility of the State? Or is it a move to privatize education... starting at the top institution and later washing its hands of secondary and eventually primary education? On removing squatters...it would be nice to give them at lest a month's notice before hmmm...bulldozing them off the land.Whatever plans he has for the city...I think one of the first things that should be addressed is infrastructure...roads, drainage, water supply, electricity supply, sewerage and garbage disposal.Are they reliable and adequate for increased load? On the poor...large cities are always the destination of out of towners looking for grdener pastures and always have the homeless. The State should make some provision for some...but can never make for all. The way the world is now....the rich gets richer and the poor gets poorer and ths middle class...disappear.

1 Like

Re: Lagos: Mega City Or Mega Madness? by EkoIle1: 10:42pm On Jan 21, 2013
sucess001:

Shut up ur trap guy. So why can't pple who come from their village 'enjoy' Lagos? Does d constitution say Lagos belongs to indigenes? Or is Lagos wealth built upon d work and income of only Lagos indigenes?

Sense.less pple like u fan d embers of ethnic discord by your reckless statements. Am yoruba mind you..and am ashamed of any yoruba dt speaks thus.

Even d lagos indigenes...how many of dem hav affordable housing...if u an ACN member,I understand y u can't spew bling arguments in public. Otherwise...u probly a blind fellow lookin for govt favors.

Nb: if u reply any stu.pid reply...be ready for a lightening response from d vocal assasin. Ode

Ode, so you came to lagos to enjoy your life under the bridge or for lagos taxpayers to give your lazy azzz free house..? Abeg park ya face for side..

1 Like

Re: Lagos: Mega City Or Mega Madness? by thoth: 11:32pm On Jan 21, 2013
I have made several enquiries after i read the post above and i am suspecting that they are finally pushing towards privatizing education. This is now getting really scary, i really think people don't know what it means when public education is no longer public nor education but simply an investment by a private individual whose ONLY interest is to make as much MONEY WITH THE MOST MINIMAL INVESTMENT.
Re: Lagos: Mega City Or Mega Madness? by EkoIle1: 11:59pm On Jan 21, 2013
thoth: I have made several enquiries after i read the post above and i am suspecting that they are finally pushing towards privatizing education. This is now getting really scary, i really think people don't know what it means when public education is no longer public nor education but simply an investment by a private individual whose ONLY interest is to make as much MONEY WITH THE MOST MINIMAL INVESTMENT.

What are you talking about? Making the school self sustained with tuition is not privatization and if you think it is, then who are the private investors or private companies in charge? The students right.

Abeg make some sense..

1 Like

Re: Lagos: Mega City Or Mega Madness? by Originalsly: 12:32am On Jan 22, 2013
Eko Ile:

What are you talking about? Making the school self sustained with tuition is not privatization and if you think it is, then who are the private investors or private companies in charge? The students right.

Abeg make some sense..
Let me try to make some sense.The university is cut loose...it has to be funded by tuition since that would be about the only source of income. The cost of tuition would be so high tbat only the elite can afford to send their kids.Since the institution would now be strapped for cash to either pay the lecturers on time or/and to attract Grade A lecturers...some of the present lecturers would leave and the standard of the university would fall.Are the elite going to enroll their kids there? No. The dwindling number of students would be unable to sustain the cost of running the university which would then be closed. Still owned by the State...what do you think the State will do then? Two things...either put it up for sale or subsidize its operation by a private entity.Either way...the tax payers would be shafted ... since if sold...it would be way below its market value and if subsidized...the taxpayers would be paying for the maintenance and other costs while the private entity pocket the tuition fees. My guess is the private entity that would buy the university would be no other than one of the mega churches.I tried!

1 Like

Re: Lagos: Mega City Or Mega Madness? by EkoIle1: 1:05am On Jan 22, 2013
Originalsly: Let me try to make some sense.The university is cut loose...it has to be funded by tuition since that would be about the only source of income. The cost of tuition would be so high tbat only the elite can afford to send their kids.Since the institution would now be strapped for cash to either pay the lecturers on time or/and to attract Grade A lecturers...some of the present lecturers would leave and the standard of the university would fall.Are the elite going to enroll their kids there? No. The dwindling number of students would be unable to sustain the cost of running the university which would then be closed. Still owned by the State...what do you think the State will do then? Two things...either put it up for sale or subsidize its operation by a private entity.Either way...the tax payers would be shafted ... since if sold...it would be way below its market value and if subsidized...the taxpayers would be paying for the maintenance and other costs while the private entity pocket the tuition fees. My guess is the private entity that would buy the university would be no other than one of the mega churches.I tried!

These are nothing but your assumptions, conjectures and opinion and that's it. It has nothing to do with reality or privatization or even the states stated intentions so hold on to your dooms day scenario. We are not going there and we won't get there.
Re: Lagos: Mega City Or Mega Madness? by djustice: 1:13am On Jan 22, 2013
Paentera:

One thing - the loans for LASG are development loans payable over a thirty (30) year period and at a rate of 1%. If he didn't do that borrowing today to uplift the infrastructure of the state, one day you'll turn around to blame him for not taking the opportunity when it was available. Stop being alarmist with half told stories.

Your lies will eventually lead you to complete ruin and utter desolation, which will permeate whatever miserable generations you leave behind. Is it Fashola that told you that he's only borrowing at 1%? The bonds alone have a guaranteed return of 13% per annum to those that buy them. May you go insane and lose your cognitive abilities altogether for this sick lie you came to tell on behalf of your paymasters. May misery and lack be your constant companions till you crawl back into the hole you came from. Oloshious fellow.

1 Like

Re: Lagos: Mega City Or Mega Madness? by sucess001(m): 2:41am On Jan 22, 2013
Eko Ile:

Ode, so you came to lagos to enjoy your life under the bridge or for lagos taxpayers to give your lazy azzz free house..? Abeg park ya face for side..

If LASG must use bigots to try influence public opinion...am sure it can do better than use someone uncouth and without brains like u.

Ur statements don't even make sense. Am tryin hard to distill some sense buh I can't. I was born in lag so I didn't 'come' to lag. Ethno centric bast.ard dt u r. Like I said earlier...u re a shame to properly upheld yoruba principles.

Who are lagos taxpayers? Are taxes not collected from all and sundry living in Lagos? So y den exclude some pple from benefitting from d state's resources? An intelligent person wud ask these questions...buh no...not you.

This lagos govt hasn't even provided subsidized or any form of housin for any body. Their disguised attempt to do anytin on housing was its stupid provision of d Tenancy law which made tins worse....

And rily...u re senseles.s to call someone u dnt knw a lazy azz. I wrk in a financial institution and earn my pay...buh am sure ur definition of hardwork is bootlickin govt functionaries.

So tell me...how much do u get for marketing brainless and visibly incoherent policies of d LASG?

1 Like

Re: Lagos: Mega City Or Mega Madness? by larride(m): 5:39am On Jan 22, 2013
I finished my secondary school in a public school, the govt. paid for my waec, my junior ones are also going to public school, I know a number of people that withdrew their children from private to public school, schools are being re-constructed and re-modeled, free books and standard quality teachers. I guess that's meant for the elite also grin grin
The street which house my church has been tarred after been neglected for over a decade. No street along Ojodu-Berger through omole hasn't been tarred, I guess those roads are for the elites also and the poor man must pay for using those roads grin grin
LUTH which a family friend went too and get treated and even collected free drugs is also meant for the elites. grin grin
The maternity homes that are being built are for the elites also tongue
I'm very sure that only the elites will use the metro rail line when completed, I'm sure its the elites that make use of the BRT, I'm sure none of the masses will be allowed to pass through the badagry expressway when completed and commisioned because its just for the elites. grin grin
I'm sure that only the elites can pass through the BRT lanes without being arrested embarassed embarassed
I'm sure the office of the Public Defender is open only to the elite.

Why must Fashola led Government focus his view just on the elites. This is really frustrating. tongue

3 Likes

Re: Lagos: Mega City Or Mega Madness? by EkoIle1: 5:45am On Jan 22, 2013
larride: I finished my secondary school in a public school, the govt. paid for my waec, my junior ones are also going to public school, I know a number of people that withdrew their children from private to public school, schools are being re-constructed and re-modeled, free books and standard quality teachers. I guess that's meant for the elite also grin grin
My street which house my church has been tarred after been neglected for over a decade. No street along Ojodu-Berger through omole hasn't been tarred, I guess those roads are for the elites also and the poor man must pay for using those roads grin grin
LUTH which a family friend went too and get treated and even collected free drugs is also meant for the elites. grin grin
The maternity homes that are being built are for the elites also tongue
I'm very sure that only the elites will use the metro rail line when completed, I'm sure its the elites that make use of the BRT, I'm sure none of the masses when will allowed to pass through the badagry expressway when completed and commisioned because its just for the elites. grin grin
I'm sure that only the elites can pass through the BRT lanes without being arrested embarassed embarassed
I'm sure the office of the Public Defender is open only to the elite.

Why must Fashola lead Government focus his view and focus just on the elites. This is really frustrating. tongue

Na so I see am too o..

I no fit stand this FASHOLA guy sha, the man built 17 skills acquisition centers and they are all for the elites, even the 15 new water work sef, na only the elites go drink the water.

I taya for the man sha....smh...

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Herdsmen: FG Lied, Ogun Refugees Still In Benin Republic, Says Red Cross / Alex Otti Flags Off Construction Of Another 30km road In Abia North / Ijaw Group Slams Omo Agege Over NDDC Appointments, Tells Buhari To Intervene

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 152
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.