Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,191 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:11 AM

Online Dating/marriage, Does It Work? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Online Dating/marriage, Does It Work? (1823 Views)

Lady Older Than The Man In Marriage,does It Matter? / Courtship Before Marriage, Does It Guarantee A Succesful Marriage / Interracial Dating & Marriage ("Jungle Fever") (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Online Dating/marriage, Does It Work? by pope732901(m): 2:47am On Mar 02, 2008
In all practicability, there is nothing wrong falling in love online. After all, God is God of all creations and He works in various ways. People has falling in love and got married on Disco party, in the Bus, taxi, train, plane, school, wedding/birthday party, market place, social gathering. The list is endless including the church and mosque.

Love is blind as they would say but is love truly blind? There is difference between love (AGAPE) and infatuation and lust. It is important to know the difference between marriage and friendship. Even marriage has different concepts and meaning between individuals, between secularity and Christianity. To the secular world, marriage is a contract and those of us who have knowledge of commercial law knows that FRUSTRATION as a breach of contract voids a contract. That is why somebody who tells you that he/she loves you will wake up the next morning and tells you that he/she is no longer in love and that bring the contract of marriage to an ugly end.

I live in a country (NG) where we watch divorce court on DSTV and it will amaze you to know the rate of divorce and the flimsy reason/s why people divorce their marriages in (US). A marriage and divorce statistic in US published by the Bureau of Census for the year 1990-2004 shows the marriage rate of 7.5 per 1000 population and divorce rate of 3.6 per 1000 of population. That is alarming. But the question you ask is, where are most of those marriages are contracted? Online, of course.

To Christianity, marriage is a covenant. Know the difference between a contract and a covenant, marriage is violable, covenant is everlasting (separated by death). Marriage is a relationship that only death separates. The secular world has popularized online dating and marriages even among the so-called Christians.

The problem with the present Christianity is that the world is converting them instead of them converting the world. On Sundays, we are holier – church workers, Sunday school teachers, we labour in the church but outside the church gate, there is no difference between us and the world and infact, the world even behaves better than us because some of them have morals and values.

We have failed to realize that they are two standards – the standard of the world and the standard of God (Romans 12:2; 1 John 2:15-17). We as a Christian have failed to know that friendship with the world is enmity with God

We as Africans are too quick to forget our values. We think because the PRINCE of this world (SATAN) is using the western world to destroy family values, that all they do is good. Let me give you a little background. We have two opposing values, in the western world, there is no family relationship but we have a solid family values where moral and dignity are prized. In the western world, girls at 14 years of age has already started having babies and by the time they turn 21, they already have 1- 2 -3 from 3 different men. Big money! Yes, she collects child support every month basically about 10% of what the man earns and if the man fails to pay he goes to jail and still work from jail to pay. Back home, your extended family both from your maternal and paternal families train you and guide you to a better and respectful relationship. On the opposite side, the story is different, you train yourself, if you live with your parent, you share the rent and bills on 50-50 basis. Because you are the master of yourself you meet a guy in the taxi or online and fell in love (infatuation), because you have no family to turn to, you proceed straight to the court and the next minute you are husband and wife, some days latter you are back again to the court to divorce. Does it sound funny?

Online dating/marriage, not only for man – woman but woman-woman (lesbianism), man –man (homosexuals), man – animal(bestiality) are the order of the today. Cats and dogs are adopted online (I call it animal marriage), people prefer to live with animal rather than human in the name of PET but all this are not surprising because Romans 1: 26-28 says, “For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles.
Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator--who is forever praised. Amen. Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion”

The problem we have as human being is that when it is time for us to stick closer to God for direction, we seems to do it on our own way and come back blaming God when it looks difficult for us to bring our life together.

Marriage is an institution ordained by God and somewhere is a man or woman God has kept for you as a wife or husband. Get this straight; INTERNET is not a place to look for love. No right thinking African in general and Nigerian in particular will pick a wife online. We have values. Most men telling you about love and marriage online are not real. I heard a recent story about a guy in Hi5 that lives in Europe and promised 39 single girls in hi5 marriage. When he came home recently, hmmmmmmmmmm, you know what happened, it was testing and sampling but of a truth, he is married with kids in Europe. To those who are crazy for those living abroad, in the case of the guy above, I do not blame him but those who have cheapened themselves and have lost dignity. Those who have fallen prey to this type of people will testify this. Nobody who makes money the way they do there (US) outside the shore of Nigeria will lavish a cent or penny on you except he is into drug or some kind of fraud. Even if he calls you and speaks nice and lovely words to you every second, they are 99.9% chances that he is married genuinely or are into some kind of contract marriage to get his resident papers and he will be a fool to tell you. Because he knows the implication of having indiscriminate sex and having to pay child support until the child turns 18 years old, he prepares to come home to have cheap sex and as they would say, “to show Nigerian girls” and when he comes home sometime on credit card debts, his hotel room turns into an international market by desperate girls. If of a truth, he wants to marry, after sampling with as many as his strength can afford, he goes down to the village to pick a local girl on the recommendation of his aunty or parent. But let me ask, don’t we fear HIV/AIDS, since we do not fear God?

That is what you get online, Internet is full of scammers, people who exploit you sexually but don’t get me wrong, Internet has become a powerful tool for networking and that is what Nairaland has provided for Nigerians. I commend those wonderful guys behind the birth of Nairaland everyday. They are wonderful people online and one can make a long-term relationship that can blossom into something serious but when it comes to marriage, it can start anywhere though; God works in many ways and can give you your heart throb anywhere but it is important for you know that they are two ways of going about getting married. You can do it by:

1. Seeking the perfect will of God
2. Going for the permissive will of God

The one you seek online, the one you choose considering materiality, physical attractiveness, personality attractiveness and the likes are the one you do outside God direction. God cannot stop you because He respects our will; man is a free moral agent. Because you are consumed with your selfish desires and He can’t stop you but allows it to happen, it has His permissive will over it but you get the result of what comes out of it – good or bad. Your decision may be the beginning of a life long life of misery and agony or it may work well for you but you can’t come back blaming God because He never has His hand when you started it.

But if you follow the path of righteousness, God will sure lead you, where you will meet him/her I can’t tell because God works in a miraculous ways but one thing is sure, he must belong to the household of God. A Christian looking for a marriage partner in a secular environment can’t be said to be led by God. The first test for the will of God is what I will call the “household test” for 2 Corinthians 6: 14-16 said, “Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness? What harmony is there between Christ and Belial? What does a believer have in common with an unbeliever? What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God has said: "I will live with them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my people."

If you say you are a Christian and are in a relationship with somebody who is not a Christian, it is not the WILL OF GOD. Some would say, I will change him/her after marriage, forget it, that is the preaching from the pit of hell for when cold water and hot water mixes together, it becomes COLD water and the world have more powerful tools of converting you than you does.
Happy wedlock!
Re: Online Dating/marriage, Does It Work? by almondjoy(f): 8:53am On Mar 03, 2008
Yes, it works and carries the same kinds of risks as any other means of dating.  If it is meant to be, then nothing can get in the way of it being a successful union.  It is all a game of chance, hard work, and God's blessing. kiss

In Nigeria especially, you do not need any external influences to contribute to the break up of marriages.  They do a good job by themselves, never learning to mind their own business for one! kiss
Re: Online Dating/marriage, Does It Work? by efuah(f): 11:33am On Mar 03, 2008
AJ, u're very right! kiss

Pope. . . did u really type all this or u copied and. . . lipsrsealed

pope pope grin
Re: Online Dating/marriage, Does It Work? by pope732901(m): 11:42am On Mar 03, 2008
efuah:

AJ, u're very right! kiss

Pope. . . did u really type all this or u copied and. . . lipsrsealed

pope pope grin

Lol, Efuah, Its not a Copy and Pasted Jab. Or does it look one?
Re: Online Dating/marriage, Does It Work? by efuah(f): 3:57pm On Mar 03, 2008
@poke pope,
yeah, kind of undecided lipsrsealed

gimmie da source pls grin
Re: Online Dating/marriage, Does It Work? by iice(f): 4:51pm On Mar 03, 2008
omo sermon
Re: Online Dating/marriage, Does It Work? by ifyalways(f): 7:52pm On Mar 03, 2008
@topic,its a game of luck.
iice lmao cheesy
Re: Online Dating/marriage, Does It Work? by pope732901(m): 9:56am On Mar 04, 2008
efuah:

@poke pope,
yeah, kind of undecided lipsrsealed

gimmie da source please grin

Ok.

www.bigbangbros.com

Check it out.
Re: Online Dating/marriage, Does It Work? by efuah(f): 4:13pm On Mar 04, 2008
hehehe pope pope, u see i told u i know u copied, but definitely not from that source above. What's bigbang?. . . grin
Re: Online Dating/marriage, Does It Work? by thomas83: 8:39am On Apr 23, 2008
There are millions of members worldwide and thousands more singles are signing up on a daily basis. But does this show that dating online really works? I would say it really works other wise why would there be so many single men and women joining?

Many accept internet dating as the most popular and exciting platform to find out about mates, relationships and match making online.
With internet dating you are allowed to browse through various personals looking for that special someone.

As per my point of view internet dating may be the way to go for those who are looking for a change. You can meet more people with similar interests without sharing personal information.

(1) (Reply)

He Robbed A Bank To Pay Girlfriend's School Fees / Re: I Hate My Ex-boyfriend / What Does This Mean?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.