Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,316 members, 7,811,944 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:22 AM

Passengers Overwhelm NRC On Lagos-kano Route - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Passengers Overwhelm NRC On Lagos-kano Route (15862 Views)

Lagos-kano Rail To Generate 250,000 Jobs – Amaechi / NRC Successfully Connects Ph-enugu Rail Line, Train Move 1st Time In 12 Years / NRC Commences Third Weekly Lagos-kano Train Service (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Passengers Overwhelm NRC On Lagos-kano Route by Gbotun(m): 11:53am On Jan 20, 2013
Boyoorisha:
Why the price and not the number of coaches? Increase in the price brings people back to the road!

I wonder o!!
Re: Passengers Overwhelm NRC On Lagos-kano Route by gerald09(m): 11:55am On Jan 20, 2013
That's great news dat people are actually patronising NRS @ least with tyn it will normalise. Rome wasn't built in a day.
Re: Passengers Overwhelm NRC On Lagos-kano Route by mchenry(m): 11:56am On Jan 20, 2013
30 hours? that's too long
Re: Passengers Overwhelm NRC On Lagos-kano Route by justsayemma(m): 11:56am On Jan 20, 2013
Let's learn hw 2 do tinz acordin 2 standard,if we must run a cargo rail system,it shud b d way its done in other part of d world.Nigeria isn't poor,we desav beta,we shudnt do tinz because we wnt it 2 b on record,bt 2 b of standard n beneficiary 2 d people
Re: Passengers Overwhelm NRC On Lagos-kano Route by nex(m): 11:57am On Jan 20, 2013
When we say it cannot work, this is it not working. My father worked in the NRC for about a decade before he moved to the CBN, and I have a basic knowledge of the kind of level they are supposed to develop the rail system to, before they start making claims. They said N1,500 but now it's N1,900 - 2,900. I'm not saying it's too much, but get things up to standard before spreading propaganda.

When they made claims on this railway thing, what I said was that people should go out and use it, then tell me how it went. Right now, the majority of people who tried to use the rail line from Lagos to Kano, and back could not. Please, it is not working.
Re: Passengers Overwhelm NRC On Lagos-kano Route by lain: 12:04pm On Jan 20, 2013
30 hours na wa o ... Naija would not cease to amaze me ... So what the jonathan govt could provide 4 nigerians is a 20th century train to be used in the 21st century.. Hmm

1 Like

Re: Passengers Overwhelm NRC On Lagos-kano Route by naptu2: 12:05pm On Jan 20, 2013
Positive: I heard the GE is setting up a workshop to build locomotives and carriages in Nigeria.

http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php/media-business/34880-ge-to-build-locomotive-assembly-plant

Negative: someone who took a ride on the train said that it's the same old NRC carriages that were refurbished. The ride is very bumpy, like a car with no shock absorber.

http://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4779212872324&id=1055714936&set=a.1684811034212.91469.1055714936&refid=17

1 Like

Re: Passengers Overwhelm NRC On Lagos-kano Route by yam: 12:07pm On Jan 20, 2013
[quote author=2sexy][size=30pt]WHY ARE PEOPLE SAYING THAT N1,900 IS TOO MUCH? HOW MUCH DO YOU SPEND ON RECHARGE CARD IN A MONTH? THINK, DO THE MATH AND THEM COME BACK HERE TO TELL US?[/size][/quote

I think the reason why u think is ok is that u are looking at the distance

30hrs to get to Kano for 1,900 is annoying(minus stations they will likely stop at)
the lesser the distance the higher the price,the farther the distance the lower the price.

FG has for many yrs ignore this basic neccessitty,all the money that has beign stolen in yrs back to bring revive these sectors cannot be acounted for.Why should the masses pay up to that for something that is meant to be free.
Re: Passengers Overwhelm NRC On Lagos-kano Route by yam: 12:10pm On Jan 20, 2013
gerald09: That's great news dat people are actually patronising NRS @ least with tyn it will normalise. Rome wasn't built in a day.

i dont think this look like Rome in the making

People say Rome wasnt built in a day because they saw the Blueprint
Re: Passengers Overwhelm NRC On Lagos-kano Route by Wadeoye(m): 12:15pm On Jan 20, 2013
Charles.nerd:
Why would a lagos -kano trip take 30hrs?. Guess its a locomotive anyway.. undecided

Because, no value has been added to the existing infrastructure. They only want to justify the billion obj and yaradua put into revamping the rail system. By the way, osun state governor has been providing train service on the same track more than 2 years ago. So, what is special about buying old locomotive coaches and putting on the same old rusty track?
Re: Passengers Overwhelm NRC On Lagos-kano Route by 4llerbuntu(m): 12:17pm On Jan 20, 2013
the journey by road takes 12 to 14 hrs max

this is 30 hours ?
Re: Passengers Overwhelm NRC On Lagos-kano Route by anonimi: 12:25pm On Jan 20, 2013
Boyoorisha:
Why the price and not the number of coaches? Increase in the price brings people back to the road!

Not exactly.
Increase the price to buy more coaches towards private ownership of locomotives and coaches with competitive bidding in the long run.
Rail transport is a commercial venture that should [size=13pt]compete[/size] with road, air and waterways.
Government should not be TOTALLY involved in it.

Re: Passengers Overwhelm NRC On Lagos-kano Route by gbensright: 12:26pm On Jan 20, 2013
the government should increase the capacity in-other to meet the high number of the present demand,at that they can generate more revenue from this transport sector because many people have stop traveling because of high cost of transportation in the country.more additional fleet of couches,
Re: Passengers Overwhelm NRC On Lagos-kano Route by AndroBlaze: 12:26pm On Jan 20, 2013
otokx: They should increase the price if so

God will forgive you.
Re: Passengers Overwhelm NRC On Lagos-kano Route by anonimi: 12:27pm On Jan 20, 2013
mchenry: 30 hours? that's too long

That is why the price is also too low.
If you want faster, you have the options of:

a) air
b) road

Soup wey sweet, na money cook am!
Re: Passengers Overwhelm NRC On Lagos-kano Route by manny4life(m): 12:38pm On Jan 20, 2013
According to travelmath.com, Lagos to Kano is about 692 miles, so for a 30hrs trip, that is too much o...

They need to buy better coaches to compete, 30hrs is just damn too much, who wants to spend about a day and half on a train? Good initiative but needs serious development.
Re: Passengers Overwhelm NRC On Lagos-kano Route by israel007: 12:44pm On Jan 20, 2013
30 hours. What happened to aero contractors
Re: Passengers Overwhelm NRC On Lagos-kano Route by doctokwus: 12:44pm On Jan 20, 2013
Ada Nri1: you need not quote all that.
He evn included d double post.So pple can really tempt u to do what u hate doing
Re: Passengers Overwhelm NRC On Lagos-kano Route by anonimi: 12:47pm On Jan 20, 2013
manny4life: According to travelmath.com, Lagos to Kano is about 692 miles, so for a 30hrs trip, that is too much o...

They need to buy better coaches to compete, 30hrs is just damn too much, who wants to spend about a day and half on a train? Good initiative but needs serious development.

Good question ordinarily BUT can you read
The report said that despite the "damn too much" time spent on the journey, there are too many customers/clients/passengers.
So, obviously, there are quite a number of (unemployed/underemployed/underpaid?) people who cannot afford the more exhorbitantly priced COMPETING alternatives of road & air transport and have opted for the cheaper but longer & less comfortable train option!!!
Re: Passengers Overwhelm NRC On Lagos-kano Route by anonimi: 12:50pm On Jan 20, 2013
israel007: 30 hours. What happened to aero contractors

Another good question!
Did you get the memo that aero contractors air ticket Lagos-Kano is also 1,900 - 2,900

We too like awuf, that's why the politicians fit dey do us mugu well, well.
Wake up & smell the akamu/ogi!
Awuf nor dey anywhere!!
Someone, somewhere is paying/will pay the cost!!!
Re: Passengers Overwhelm NRC On Lagos-kano Route by luq4u(m): 12:52pm On Jan 20, 2013
is that ur remedy while @Ada 1900 is 2much, it sucks when people are free talk
Re: Passengers Overwhelm NRC On Lagos-kano Route by thelastPope(m): 1:18pm On Jan 20, 2013
Charles.nerd:
Why would a lagos -kano trip take 30hrs?. Guess its a locomotive anyway.. undecided

Google is always your friend. It takes 2 days to travel from Los Angeles California to Austin Texas on Amtrak trains. That is 1400km. Locomotive trains are still used all over the world. Some of you just comment ignorantly.

7 Likes

Re: Passengers Overwhelm NRC On Lagos-kano Route by lacicrips(m): 1:18pm On Jan 20, 2013
What will I be doing on the rooad for 30hrs?
Re: Passengers Overwhelm NRC On Lagos-kano Route by yungdamaz(m): 1:19pm On Jan 20, 2013
dabrake: 30 hours!

Maka gini?
adim baffled o shocked
Re: Passengers Overwhelm NRC On Lagos-kano Route by anonimi: 1:22pm On Jan 20, 2013
lacicrips: What will I be doing on the rooad for 30hrs?

Do you mean "on the railway"
Always say what you mean exactly to avoid misleading your readers & listeners grin
Re: Passengers Overwhelm NRC On Lagos-kano Route by thelastPope(m): 1:24pm On Jan 20, 2013
nex: When we say it cannot work, this is it not working. My father worked in the NRC for about a decade before he moved to the CBN, and I have a basic knowledge of the kind of level they are supposed to develop the rail system to, before they start making claims. They said N1,500 but now it's N1,900 - 2,900. I'm not saying it's too much, but get things up to standard before spreading propaganda.

When they made claims on this railway thing, what I said was that people should go out and use it, then tell me how it went. Right now, the majority of people who tried to use the rail line from Lagos to Kano, and back could not. Please, it is not working.

What exactly have you said now? This is an example of how not to criticize. Not intelligent at all.

1 Like

Re: Passengers Overwhelm NRC On Lagos-kano Route by thelastPope(m): 1:26pm On Jan 20, 2013
lacicrips: What will I be doing on the rooad for 30hrs?

It will be travelling and making several stops just like trains do all over the world. Very funny question really.

1 Like

Re: Passengers Overwhelm NRC On Lagos-kano Route by thelastPope(m): 1:31pm On Jan 20, 2013
manny4life: According to travelmath.com, Lagos to Kano is about 692 miles, so for a 30hrs trip, that is too much o...

Even you? Haba, you dey fall hand with dis kind ignorant post, walahi!

Again:

Google is always your friend. It takes 2 days to travel from Los Angeles California to Austin Texas on Amtrak trains. That is 1400km. Locomotive trains are still used all over the world. Some of you just comment ignorantly.
Re: Passengers Overwhelm NRC On Lagos-kano Route by headtoto: 1:35pm On Jan 20, 2013
40Lightyears:

I have always asked myself, why it bugs ya'll whenever someone quotes the entire topic? undecided undecided undecided What is it to u anyway? angry angry angry angry Cos u're invading my space right now. angry angry

Because you are 40 light years behind.

1 Like

Re: Passengers Overwhelm NRC On Lagos-kano Route by Nobody: 1:36pm On Jan 20, 2013
nex: When we say it cannot work, this is it not working. My father worked in the NRC for about a decade before he moved to the CBN, and I have a basic knowledge of the kind of level they are supposed to develop the rail system to, before they start making claims. They said N1,500 but now it's N1,900 - 2,900. I'm not saying it's too much, but get things up to standard before spreading propaganda.

ARM CHAIR critics can say whatever they like from the discomfort of their hell hole but the FACT is that federal govt spent N24billion to revive the Kano-Lagos rail line. This was well reported and 2 of such reports are reproduced below:

The Federal Government spent more than N24.3 billion on the rehabilitation of railway track from Lagos to Kano.
The Managing Director of the Nigeria Railway Corporation (NRC),Mr Adeseyi Sijuwade, made this known in Kano on Sunday.

He said that 488 km Lagos-Jebba was rehabilitated at N12.1billion, while the 638 km Jebba-Kano costN12.2 billion.

He said that the projects were completed WITHIN the 2012 budget and commended President Goodluck Jonathan, for approving the request of the corporation.

Sijuwade told newsmen that the corporation was planning to introduce air-conditioned train system in 2013.

``By 2013 plan, there will be modern air-conditioned coaches on the track.
``There will be no cause for alarm security wise because thecorporation will ensure the safety of lives and property of the passengers.

``We have just completed 30-hours journey from Lagos byrail down to Kano, passing all the major cities and state capitals between Lagos and Kano,’’ he said.

He called on Nigerians to patronise the rail system to move their goods from Apapa to others parts of the country.

NAN recalled that on Dec 21, theNRC commenced the inter-city train service from Lagos-Kano.

The train service, which started on weekly basis, from Lagos to Kano, would depart Iddo Terminal from 9 am every Friday, and Kano station from 9 am every Monday. (NAN)

http://www.nanngronline.com/section/general/fg-spends-n243bn-on-rehabilitation-of-railway-track-md

Trains offer affordable transportation for many in this oil-rich but impoverished nation. However, most long-distance passengers travel in piteous conditions.

A car of the inaugural Kano-bound train was PACKED, with people STRUGGLING for seating space and cool air.

"If not for poverty, I would havetaken the bus," said Michael Olaoluwa Peters, a 36-year-old soccer player.

His trip to the southern city of Abeokuta would have cost him the equivalent of N621, but cost only N155 by train. The price difference is even greater for those going all the way to Kano.
Anna Joda, 35, a petty trader, traveled with her four children, between ages 2 and 8, to spendthe holidays with her in-laws in Kano while her husband stayed back in Lagos. She stood in the aisle, her toddler wrapped around her back while her three children shared two seats.

"I chose the train because I thought there'd be MORE LEG SOON," she said.
The railway project hopes to alleviate the burden on Nigeria'spoorly maintained road network.

However, much still needs to be done before the train becomes a preferred mode of transportation for those who can afford to travel by road or even air.

"Some people slept at the station last night and they still did not get a seat. The service ispoor, very poor," said Peters as he held the car door for supportafter hearing a whistle signaling departure from Lagos.

http://m.naij.com/news/17788.html

3 Likes

Re: Passengers Overwhelm NRC On Lagos-kano Route by thelastPope(m): 1:37pm On Jan 20, 2013
head_to_to:

Because you are 40 light years behind.

Nice one there! You nailed it!
Re: Passengers Overwhelm NRC On Lagos-kano Route by aribisala0(m): 1:41pm On Jan 20, 2013
30 hours Hmm. I hope the toilets are not like the police college?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Fayose & Wife Celebrate 28th Wedding Anniversary / Enugu East Senatorial Zone Endorses Ugwuanyi For Second Term / Rivers Crisis-NANS Gives FG 14days Ultimatum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.