Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,806 members, 7,810,099 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:42 PM

Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football - Sports (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football (22900 Views)

Senegal Vs Burkina Fasso All African Games Final / Nigeria V Namibia: Mikel Defy Chelsea Doctor’s Orders / f (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by coogar: 2:46am On Jan 25, 2013
thegoodjoehunt:
Did I say that Spin will dominate forever? Even stated that when teams start playing like Barca, they will be able to catch up with them. That shows, I don't think they will dominate forever.

chelsea didn't need to play like barcelona to beat them last season.....inter didn't need to play tiki taka to beat them in 2010, man utd didn't need to play tiki taka to beat them in 2008. barcelona are very impregnable with their style of footie. why should the whole world embrace tiki-taka because of spain? even when brazil won 3 world cups in 4 editions, the rest of the world did not copy their style. you are starting to dilute this argument with things that are not logical!

Comcerning Ronaldo's performance, how does that stop Neymar from being Special. No footballer has done what Messi has done in football, does that stop Ronaldo from being Special?

neymar has done nothing - nothing till date!
just an overhyped player with no substance. what has neymar won for brazil? at 21, fat ronaldo had won the copa america. he had scored 34 goals for barcelona and he was the best player in the world. who is neymar compare to fat ronaldo? do you watch football or you are just on a wind-up?
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by neversaynever(m): 2:53am On Jan 25, 2013
thegoodjoehunt:

What I don't understand, Is he saying that Ghana weren't unlucky when Suarez used his hand to stop a goal that would have taken Ghna through to the Semi Finals of the last World Cup?

That' what i'm amazed at.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by thegoodjoehunt(m): 3:06am On Jan 25, 2013
coogar: chelsea didn't need to play like barcelona to beat them last season.....inter didn't need to play tiki taka to beat them in 2010, man utd didn't need to play tiki taka to beat them in 2008. barcelona are very impregnable with their style of footie. why should the whole world embrace tiki-taka because of spain? even when brazil won 3 world cups in 4 editions, the rest of the world did not copy their style. you are starting to dilute this argument with things that are not logical! neymar has done nothing - nothing till date! just an overhyped player with no substance. what has neymar won for brazil? at 21, fat ronaldo had won the copa america. he had scored 34 goals for barcelona and he was the best player in the world. who is neymar compare to fat ronaldo? do you watch football or you are just on a wind-up?
I repeat, I never compared Neymar to Ronaldo. At ϑ World Club cup, he scored ϑ best goal of ϑ tournament. At d South American youth cup he was clearly above his peers and after d tourney, he was called up by ϑ national team of Brazil.

Yet you say he is nothing but pure hype. At a young age he is d star player of ϑ Brazillian National team be fair.

I am not comparing him to Ronaldo. I am saying he is special. If I say Jack Wilshere is special, I am not comparing him to Messi.

Just look at this performances of someone you said has done nothing.

[b]

2012 season

On 5 February 2012, when he turned 20, he scored his 100th goal as a professional football player, against Palmeiras in the Campeonato Paulista.

On 25 February 2012, Neymar scored two goals, one of whom from 25-yards and assisted with two, to help his side to a 6–1 win over Ponte Preta.

On 7 March 2012, Neymar netted a hat-trick as Santos saw off Brazilian rivals Internacional 3–1 in the Copa Libertadores Group stage match.

On the 29th of March, he scored a brace against Guaratinguetá in a 5–0 victory.

In the fixture against São Paulo on 29 April 2012, Neymar scored a hat-trick with the match ending 3–1.

Neymar finished the 2012 Campeonato Paulista with 20 goals and being voted the Best player and Best Forward, with Santos being crowned champions of the tournament.

He was joint top scorer in the Copa Libertadores with 8 goals, after Santos were beaten over 2-legs by eventual champions Corinthians in the semi-finals.

Neymar was voted the Best player of the 2012 Recopa Sudamericana, Neymar scoring in the second leg to win the title 2-0 on aggregate.

He finished the 2012 Campeonato Brasileiro Série A with 14 goals and being voted the Best forward.

Neymar finished the 2012 season, being award the Golden Ball, Arthur Friedenreich Award and Armando Nogueira Trophy.

He was one of three finalists in the 2012 FIFA Puskás Award and finished runners-up behind Miroslav Stoch. He won the 2012 South American Footballer of the Year, retaining his award and winning it ahead of the likes of Ronaldinho. [/b]

Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by coogar: 3:11am On Jan 25, 2013
never_say_never:
That' what i'm amazed at.

don't be amazed
ghana were not unlucky - suarez was sent off and gyan had the opportunity to seal the game from 12 yards. that he failed to score the penalty was his incompetence. if he had scored the penalty, then we won't be here talking about luck or not.
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by thegoodjoehunt(m): 3:30am On Jan 25, 2013
coogar:

don't be amazed
ghana were not unlucky - suarez was sent off and gyan had the opportunity to seal the game from 12 yards. that he failed to score the penalty was his incompetence. if he had scored the penalty, then we won't be here talking about luck or not.

Like it or not, Nigeria were unlucky to have a lines man rule a penalty scored as Null. What you are describing above is clearly d Ghananian team having bad luck. There is no way you can twist it. You can only lie to yourself when ϑ fact stares at you.

Praying for d best for d Eagles.
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by coogar: 3:43am On Jan 25, 2013
thegoodjoehunt: I repeat, I never compared Neymar to Ronaldo. At ϑ World Club cup, he scored ϑ best goal of ϑ tournament. At d South American youth cup he was clearly above his peers and after d tourney, he was called up by ϑ national team of Brazil.

Yet you say he is nothing but pure hype. At a young age he is d star player of ϑ Brazillian National team be fair.

I am not comparing him to Ronaldo. I am saying he is special. If I say Jack Wilshere is special, I am not comparing him to Messi.

Just look at this performance of someone you said has done nothing.

On 5 February 2012, when he turned 20, he scored his 100th goal as a professional football player, against Palmeiras in the Campeonato Paulista.

On 25 February 2012, Neymar scored two goals, one of whom from 25-yards and assisted with two, to help his side to a 6–1 win over Ponte Preta.

On 7 March 2012, Neymar netted a hat-trick as Santos saw off Brazilian rivals Internacional 3–1 in the Copa Libertadores Group stage match.

On the 29th of March, he scored a brace against Guaratinguetá in a 5–0 victory

On 31 December 2011, he won the 2011 South American Footballer of the Year award for the first time, by a record margin, following in the footsteps of Diego Maradona, Romário, Pelé and Zico

so these are his achievements? shaking my head!
at 21, rooney and cristiano had done more in bigger competitions than south american football. the south american award is also a wash. tevez won it 3 times consecutively and he's shyte!

thegoodjoehunt:

Like it or not, Nigeria were unlucky to have a lines man rule a penalty scored as Null. What you are describing above is clearly d Ghananian team having bad luck. There is no way you can twist it. You can only lie to yourself when ϑ fact stares at you.
Praying for d best for d Eagles.

nigeria were unlucky?
why were they unlucky? ikpeba struck a shit penalty anyways - if he had hit the net instead of the crossbar, would it have been disallowed by the ref? and if ikpeba was so shyte at taking penalties - it then begs the question, why did bonfrere jo selected him as one of the 5 takers?
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by neversaynever(m): 3:48am On Jan 25, 2013
coogar:

don't be amazed

Check this out:

http://allsports.com.ng/2012/11/08/chelsea-need-more-than-luck-to-win-the-champions-league-torres/

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/champions-league-di-matteo-chelsea-win-lucky-085941068.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/9279689/German-media-blast-Chelseas-Champions-League-victory-over-Bayern-Munich-as-a-farce.html
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by thegoodjoehunt(m): 3:52am On Jan 25, 2013
coogar:

so these are his achievements? shaking my head!
at 21, rooney and cristiano had done more in bigger competitions than south american football. the south american award is also a wash. tevez won it 3 times consecutively and he's shyte!

nigeria were unlucky?
why were they unlucky? ikpeba struck a shit penalty anyways - if he had hit the net instead of the crossbar, would it have been disallowed by the ref? and if ikpeba was so shyte at taking penalties - it then begs the question, why did bonfrere jo selected him as one of the 5 takers?

Whether you like it or not we were unlucky ie SE. D ball crossed but we were unluCky for D ref to rule otherwise.

Neymar being great has nothing to do with Rooney and CR7. He has won the south American footballer of D year back to back. You can call it what you want and compare him to who you want. He is not like ϑ regular players. Neymar is special.
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by coogar: 3:55am On Jan 25, 2013
thegoodjoehunt:
Whether you like it or not we were unlucky ie SE. D ball crossed but we were unluCky for D ref to rule otherwise.

you call it luck, i call it incompetence!

Neymar being great has nothing to do with Rooney and CR7. He has won the south American footballer of D year back to back. You can call it what you want and compare him to who you want. He is not like ϑ regular players. Neymar is special.

we obviously have different standards - if neymar is great to you, it simply shows your standard is lower!
have a nice day!
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by thegoodjoehunt(m): 3:58am On Jan 25, 2013
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by thegoodjoehunt(m): 4:04am On Jan 25, 2013
coogar:

we obviously have different standards - if neymar is great to you, it simply shows your standard is lower!
have a nice day!

never_say_never, are you learning? Ghana were not unlucky, they were incompetent allowing Suarez use his hand to stop D ball.

If you say Dembele is a special player, you have low standards.

This coogar has made me laugh today.

grin
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by neversaynever(m): 4:07am On Jan 25, 2013
@ coogar, if your argument is anything to go by, you're saying there's no such thing as luck, not just in football, but generally.
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by thegoodjoehunt(m): 4:11am On Jan 25, 2013
never_say_never: @ coogar, if your argument is anything to go by, you're saying there's no such thing as luck, not just in football, but generally.

Exactly, when Suarez used his hand to score a goal to get Sheffield Wednesday out of D FA Cup, Sheffield players were incompetent. In D same game, ϑ referee denied Sheffield 3 clear penalties but Coogar still believes they were incompetent.
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by thegoodjoehunt(m): 4:20am On Jan 25, 2013
coogar:

have a nice day!

I am glad you have higher standards than great players too. Look at some statements from Brazilian Football Legends:

Ronaldo Da Lima said: “Neymar is a great talent, the best we have in Brazil. He is very similar to Messi.”

Zico said: “I see Neymar like a Ronaldo or a Messi, the type who appears and makes things happen.”
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by coogar: 4:20am On Jan 25, 2013
never_say_never: @ coogar, if your argument is anything to go by, you're saying there's no such thing as luck, not just in football, but generally

there's no luck in football! shikena.
this is a game between 22 players with 11 players on each side. the side who scores the most goals wins - every other statistics are a means to an end. so if barcelona cops 98% possession without scoring and the other team scores with their 2% possession, then barcelona would lose. both teams know the rules before the game so what has luck gotta do with this?

thegoodjoehunt:

Exactly, when Suarez used his hand to score a goal to get Sheffield Wednesday out of D FA Cup, Sheffield players were incompetent. In D same game, ϑ referee denied Sheffield 3 clear penalties but Coogar still believes they were incompetent.

sheffield players were not incompetent - the match officials were incompetent!

thegoodjoehunt:

I am glad you have higher standards than great players too. Look at some statements from Brazilian Football Legends:

Ronaldo Da Lima said: “Neymar is a great talent, the best we have in Brazil. He is very similar to Messi.”
Zico said: “I see Neymar like a Ronaldo or a Messi, the type who appears and makes things happen.”

what would his fellow brazilians say before? did pele not say neymar is better than messi? neymar is brazil's answer to messi - this is why i said he's overhyped and it's comments like this that i was talking about. neymar? he's shyte!!!
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by thegoodjoehunt(m): 4:29am On Jan 25, 2013
coogar:

there's no luck in football! shikena.
this is a game between 22 players with 11 players on each side. the side who scores the most goals wins - every other statistics are a means to an end. so if barcelona cops 98% possession without scoring and the other team scores with their 2% possession, then barcelona would lose. both teams know the rules before the game so what has luck gotta do with this?

sheffield players were not incompetent - the match officials were incompetent!

what would his fellow brazilians say before? did pele not say neymar is better than messi? neymar is brazil's answer to messi - this is why i said he's overhyped and it's comments like this that i was talking about. neymar? he's shyte!!!

So now ϑ Sheffield players were not incompetent. Let me help you, Sheffield players were unlucky to have incompetent officials if not, they might have knocked out Liverpool.

So a player who became ϑ star player of Brazil before he turned 20 years old is Shyte. Props to you.
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by coogar: 4:39am On Jan 25, 2013
thegoodjoehunt:

So now ϑ Sheffield players were not incompetent. Let me help you, Sheffield players were unlucky to have incompetent officials if not, they might have knocked out Liverpool.
So a player who became ϑ star player of Brazil before he turned 20 years old is Shyte. Props to you.

• the rules are set in stone. referees are not always right and their decision is final. the suarez incident is not even clear-cut! the handball can be seen as intentional or unintentional. it was ball to hand not hand to ball. it could have gone either way, i think it's desperate for people to hang on to that incident as the reason liverpool won.

• neymar is shyte - where was he on the fifa 11 that was recently published? he's just a potential! he might go on and become greater than pele/maradona put together and he might go on and even become worse than kleberson. lets not overhype rubbish! at his age, a lot of players were already ahead of where neymar is at the moment. are we talking of the same neymar that couldn't even win the olympic gold with ordinary mexico standing in his way? na wa o!!!
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by thegoodjoehunt(m): 4:47am On Jan 25, 2013
coogar:

• the rules are set in stone. referees are not always right and their decision is final. the suarez incident is not even clear-cut! the handball can be seen as intentional or unintentional. it was ball to hand not hand to ball. it could have gone either way, i think it's desperate for people to hang on to that incident as the reason liverpool won.

• neymar is shyte - where was he on the fifa 11 that was recently published? he's just a potential! he might go on and become greater than pele/maradona put together and he might go on and even become worse than kleberson. lets not overhype rubbish! at his age, a lot of players were already ahead of where neymar is at the moment. are we talking of the same neymar that couldn't even win the olympic gold with ordinary mexico standing in his way? na wa o!!!

Nothing like not clear cut. He used his hand to score and ϑ incompetent ref was totally wrong. Sheffield were unlucky. You can't twist that.

As for Neymar you still say Shyte. Hilarious. Check these stats of aplayer you call shyte:

scored 70 goals in 133 appearances for Santos.

The 20-year-old has also netted 17 times in 27 appearances for Brazil and is currently the South American footballer of the year.
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by cocoduck: 9:13am On Jan 25, 2013
cocoduck:

please don't be silly I watch la liga in English on super sports. Arabic on aljazeera. also watch EPL in french on Canal sport
I reside in Libreville Gabon. please get a bit out of your shell and see the world even a french man in my church loves EPL. In my neighborhood there are people of many nationalities and at least 90% love epl a few like ligue 1 and serie A. La liga is elclassico.

if you do ur job well u will dine with kings
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by cocoduck: 9:22am On Jan 25, 2013
[quote author=thegoodjoehunt]

You just proved you know nothing about what we are discussing. Sarabia is one of ϑ brightest and most skillful youngsters to break out of Real Madrid Academy. He delivers some of ϑ best curling passes in ϑ game today.

Pedro Leon left Real Madrid because Mourinho wanted to play him of position (as a Right Back) and he told Mourinho that it was wrong and Mourinho dropped him. Remember he was brought to Real Madrid as a star, along with Sergio Canales. Do you think Real Madrid will sign Pedro Leon if he wasn't world Class?

Finally when Mourinho was asked why he left Pedro Leon out of ϑ squad, Mourinho replied, " You talk of him as if he is Maradona or Zidane". Do you think Mourinho will talk about him like that if he was ordinary.

Pedro Leon and Sarabia are very gifted. If you don't know, research.

Same goes to players like Parejo, Banega, Isco, Feghouli, Giovanni Dos Santos, guardado, iker Munain, Herera, rakitic, Perotta etc.

ΘThe Spanish league is flooded with very skillful players who are not in Barca or Real Madrid.
[/quo

skillful you say, fine they are skillful but the crem de la crem play elclassico where their wages will be paid on time (remember almost all la liga players went on strike B/c payment issues except those elclassico players) , Why don't you try to undrstand me, super chikens are not doing well not because of their style of play but bad attitude. Ask GEJ it is not wanting to do things well and counting on luck. EPL is good beauty is in the eyes of the beholdr
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by omar22(m): 10:25am On Jan 25, 2013
[quote]
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by omar22(m): 10:25am On Jan 25, 2013
Did I say that Spain will dominate forever? Even stated that when teams start playing like Barca, they will be able to catch up with them. That shows, I don't think they will dominate forever.

Comcerning Ronaldo's performance, how does that stop Neymar from being Special. No footballer has done what Messi has done in football, does that stop Ronaldo from being Special?

Oh common!!!!! The great (Real Madrid team) Galatico of the 50's that had Di Stafeno and Puskas dominated european football in the 50's winning 5 European cups in a row.... in the end teams stopped them, in the 60s Benfica and both Milan teams. English football dominated Europe from the mid 70's to the mid 80's and if not for the Hysel ban they would have dominated European football into the 90s. The Tiki Taka football Barcelona adopted now was brought over from Ajax by Johan Cruyff.. and in the early 70's Ajax sweept everyone aside they were more dominant than Barcelona today but Bayern found a way to stop Ajax and Germany found a away of beating the "total football side of Holland" and German football is more machine like!!! What type of football did Liverpool played in the 70's? 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 84 European cup were won by English teams (They had a team in the final of 76 and 85)

I would say this again very Barcelona's Tiki Taka would be stopped and stopped for good
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by omar22(m): 10:38am On Jan 25, 2013
thegoodjoehunt:

never_say_never, are you learning? Ghana were not unlucky, they were incompetent allowing Suarez use his hand to stop D ball.

If you say Dembele is a special player, you have low standards.

This coogar has made me laugh today.

grin

They couldnt stop Suarez using his hands, but they could have taken the opportunity
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by thegoodjoehunt(m): 11:00am On Jan 25, 2013
cocoduck:
Yes the best players at Spain play at Real Madrid and Barca. That doesn't mean the other players of other teams are useless. Is Jaoquin of Malaga not a great player in the La Liga. Michu came from the La Liga, so did Aguero, Mata and Silva. They didn't come from Barca or Real Madrid.

As for Super Eagles, not only poor attitude but corruption of the NFF. the right coach have not been selected to groom talented skillful players and play a brilliant pattern.
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by thegoodjoehunt(m): 11:29am On Jan 25, 2013
omar22: The Tiki Taka football Barcelona adopted now was brought over from Ajax by Johan Cruyff.. and in the early 70's Ajax sweept everyone aside they were more dominant than Barcelona today but Bayern found a way to stop Ajax and Germany found a away of beating the "total football side of Holland" and German football is more machine like!!! What type of football did Liverpool played in the 70's? 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 84 European cup were won by English teams (They had a team in the final of 76 and 85) I would say this again very Barcelona's Tiki Taka would be stopped and stopped for good.
Every great team of the past played good football. Not this park bus, kick and hush football. Even Liverpool and Nottingham Forest. At the final of the '74 World Cup, it reached a time when people asked which side were the Netherland side because of the way the German side kept the ball. The Spanish and German side today are maintaining the same pattern of football in all levels of their leagues and age grade competitions. The great teams of the past missed this and that is why I believe the Spanish dominance will continue.
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by coogar: 11:51am On Jan 25, 2013
omar22:
Oh common!!!!! The great (Real Madrid team) Galatico of the 50's that had Di Stafeno and Puskas dominated european football in the 50's winning 5 European cups in a row.... in the end teams stopped them, in the 60s Benfica and both Milan teams. English football dominated Europe from the mid 70's to the mid 80's and if not for the Hysel ban they would have dominated European football into the 90s. The Tiki Taka football Barcelona adopted now was brought over from Ajax by Johan Cruyff.. and in the early 70's Ajax sweept everyone aside they were more dominant than Barcelona today but Bayern found a way to stop Ajax and Germany found a away of beating the "total football side of Holland" and German football is more machine like!!! What type of football did Liverpool played in the 70's? 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 84 European cup were won by English teams (They had a team in the final of 76 and 85)

I would say this again very Barcelona's Tiki Taka would be stopped and stopped for good

excellent post, omar22!
i don't think i need to add anything to this for the tiki-taka worshipper who wants the whole world to adopt the barcelona style as if teams had not won more titles with their own style back in the days. the much lauded barcelona side never played 2 champions league finals in a row with all their heavenly football - but every football team should emulate their style?
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by thegoodjoehunt(m): 12:09pm On Jan 25, 2013
coogar: excellent post, omar22! i don't think i need to add anything to this for the tiki-taka worshipper who wants the whole world to adopt the barcelona style as if teams had not won more titles with their own style back in the days. the much lauded barcelona side never played 2 champions league finals in a row with all their heavenly football - but every football team should emulate their style?
Please, I never said the whole world should play like Barca. I said, their pattern is superior to the English kick and Hush. I also said that a team mastering Barca's style can stop them and the Germans are going that route. Guardiola horned his craft after years of studying the great team of the past. The Spanish FA is trying to make it continue and the Germans are also moving in the right direction.

That is why Brazil brought back Scolari. Yet you guys want Nigeria to move in the English direction. Shocking.
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by omar22(m): 12:49pm On Jan 25, 2013
I said, their pattern is superior to the English kick and Hush.

Your right with that but its a culture issue and arrogance

the Germans are going that route.

The Germans are not going down that route and Guardiola is managing Bayern Munich and not Germany... Yes Germany has added more possession play but they still play with agression, physical and arial power.

That is why Brazil brought back Scolari.

Brazil still plays their Samba stytle but not the walking pace we used to know and which Nigeria adopted from the 70's, but they play with speed and aggression and more defensive minded, in 2002 Scolari played an orthodox 3 4 3 formation, in 2002 which gave Cafu and Carlos could easily join the attack, and Sweeper Edmilson starts the attack from deep

Yet you guys want Nigeria to move in the English direction. Shocking.

Nigeria used to play the old Brazilian style that Otto Gloria introduced to us in the 70s, yeah it got us the Nations cup in 1980, but the game was so slow, almost at walking pace, the Northern African teams did adopt the English kick and Run because their climate allowed the running but now they are trying add possession football to their game but NIgeria went from the slow possession football to kick and rush footie this is because we dont prepare properly for tournaments
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by omar22(m): 1:13pm On Jan 25, 2013
thegoodjoehunt: Every great team of the past played good football. Not this park bus, kick and hush football. Even Liverpool and Nottingham Forest. At the final of the '74 World Cup, it reached a time when people asked which side were the Netherland side because of the way the German side kept the ball. The Spanish and German side today are maintaining the same pattern of football in all levels of their leagues and age grade competitions. The great teams of the past missed this and that is why I believe the Spanish dominance will continue.

Parking the bus has been around since the 60's Catenaccio formation got Italy the 1982 world cup after beating the best side never win a world cup also beating the current European Champion West Germany, Czechoslovakia beat West Germany at Euro 76 by parking the bus.... Your right about teams of today, England or the English didnt know that the holding (role) player is very important to a team, but because of their arrogance and We know it all attitube most English fans would say its boring they want the ball going at 100mph, I worked a colleague whose son played at one of the Premier League clubs academy, they said anyone below 5"8' is not wanted they want athletes looking like Amazons (Avata) Its hard to sway the Brits and they are not willing to change.
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by coogar: 1:30pm On Jan 25, 2013
thegoodjoehunt: Please, I never said the whole world should play like Barca. I said, their pattern is superior to the English kick and Hush.

it's a cultural issue - the english philosophy has always preferred pragmatism and direct football to the boring football played at a slow pace. the english football would not change those ethos for tiki-taka football.

I also said that a team mastering Barca's style can stop them and the Germans are going that route. Guardiola horned his craft after years of studying the great team of the past. The Spanish FA is trying to make it continue and the Germans are also moving in the right direction

the germans are not going any route.....:they have always remained true to their own ethos as well. they play efficient football mostly counter attacking football. the germans are like a well-oiled machine. possession football, strength, direct football, pragmatism, etc. they play the most balanced football in europe. they have a bit of everything in them.

That is why Brazil brought back Scolari. Yet you guys want Nigeria to move in the English direction. Shocking.

this is another false statement
brazil brought back scolari because they have run out of managers to lend ideas from. scolari was at chelsea, how much tiki-taka did he introduce in his disgraceful spell in england? abegi, pack it in with your stale analysis. brazil sef have dropped a large chunk of their samba football - they play more like a european team these days unlike in the 80s when "tip-tap" was their main etho!
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by neversaynever(m): 7:27pm On Jan 25, 2013
omar22:

Let them stop it first before you start blabbing, but for now it's the superior pattern. Take it or leave it. No one said it was gonna last forever anyway
Re: Nigeria V Burkina Fasso - The Premier League Has Destroyed Our Football by neversaynever(m): 7:35pm On Jan 25, 2013
coogar:

excellent post, omar22!
i don't think i need to add anything to this for the tiki-taka worshipper who wants the whole world to adopt the barcelona style as if teams had not won more titles with their own style back in the days. the much lauded barcelona side never played 2 champions league finals in a row with all their heavenly football - but every football team should emulate their style?

One thing about life is; No matter how good you are or how well you do what you do, you're gonna have critics, that's for sure. So, i'm not suprised you see nothing good in what barcelona/spain are doing. For the record, Barcelona might not have played two UCL finals in a row, but they won three UCL titles in six years, & won six titles in a calender year (the only team to achieve that feat), spain won back to back Euro titles (the only team to also do it), & won a world cup in between. If that's not worth emulating, then what is?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Ronaldo's Sponsors, Nike & EA, Express 'Deep Concerns' Over Rape Allegations / Arteta Says He "Does Not Understand The Rules" After VAR Sent Off Arsenal Player / Basketball: Liz Cambage Says She's In Talks To Represent Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.