Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,618 members, 7,840,469 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 06:17 AM

If I Were An Atheist - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If I Were An Atheist (9709 Views)

How Can You Prove To An Atheist That God Exists? / Seun Kuti Is Happy, He Is An Atheist / Why I Am Not An Atheist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If I Were An Atheist by MrAnony1(m): 5:01am On Jan 24, 2013
musKeeto: This guy, don't you get the point?
You don't have to be an atheist to feel life's meaningless.

There's a whole world of difference between reading a reply and comprehending it.
If the above was the point you were trying to make, then please don't blame me for not comprehending it because it makes no sense logically.
The whole point of Theism is that life's meaning is derived from God.

So actually you do need to be an atheist in order to conclude that life is meaningless.

2 Likes

Re: If I Were An Atheist by Nobody: 5:05am On Jan 24, 2013
Mr_Anony:
If the above was the point you were trying to make, then please don't blame me for not comprehending it because it was pure logical nonsense. Actually you do need to be an atheist to conclude that life is meaningless. The whole point of Theism is that life's meaning is derived from God.

1) Who told you that atheists believe that life is meaningless? A Buddhist atheist will tell you from his religion that life is finding your own path to enlightenment. I will tell you that life is an empty slate and you have the choice to fill it with your own meaning.

2) Theism does not give life a purpose. A deist is also a theist. A deist does not believe in a personal god and such god does not have an effect on life's meaning.

Please, get your facts right

1 Like

Re: If I Were An Atheist by Nobody: 5:06am On Jan 24, 2013
Mr_Anony:
If the above was the point you were trying to make, then please don't blame me for not comprehending it because it makes no sense logically. The whole point of Theism is that life's meaning is derived from God. So actually you do need to be an atheist to conclude that life is meaningless.
Anony and Anonyism... lol...

I use 'feel'
musKeeto: This guy, don't you get the point?
You don't have to be an atheist to feel life's meaningless.

He anonizes it to 'conclude'
Mr_Anony:
So actually you do need to be an atheist to conclude that life is meaningless.

Of course, now his original argument makes sense, because Solomon's 'conclusion' aids his argument that a theist would derive a meaning from God. Fortunately, he would be right.

Unfortunately, no one was having that argument with him...

1 Like

Re: If I Were An Atheist by MrAnony1(m): 5:22am On Jan 24, 2013
Logicboy03:

1) Who told you that atheists believe that life is meaningless? A Buddhist atheist will tell you from his religion that life is finding your own path to enlightenment. I will tell you that life is an empty slate and you have the choice to fill it with your own meaning.

2) Theism does not give life a purpose. A deist is also a theist. A deist does not believe in a personal god and such god does not have an effect on life's meaning.

Please, get your facts right
I stopped reading when I saw "Buddhist atheist"

2 Likes

Re: If I Were An Atheist by Nobody: 5:29am On Jan 24, 2013
Mr_Anony:

Judge not right?

Very christian of you. You seem to be all about worshiping ur master jesus and not actually pay attention to the message. because if you did,you will realise that Buddhists taught the same message as ur master did. Tolerance is what you lack ......you need to go back to ur root.

1 Like

Re: If I Were An Atheist by Nobody: 5:30am On Jan 24, 2013
Mr_Anony:

Thanks for showing your ignorance

http://buddhism.about.com/od/basicbuddhistteachings/a/buddhaatheism.htm
http://thebuddhistblog..co.uk/2007/05/buddhism-and-atheism.html
Re: If I Were An Atheist by MrAnony1(m): 5:34am On Jan 24, 2013
musKeeto:
Anony and Anonyism... lol...

I use 'feel'

He anonizes it to 'conclude'

Of course, now his original argument makes sense, because Solomon's 'conclusion' aids his argument that a theist would derive a meaning from God. Fortunately, he would be right.

Unfortunately, no one was having that argument with him...
Ah the "anonyism cop-out again.

If Solomon was writing a book whose sole aim is to make the statement God gives meaning, then it is obvious that he didn't really feel that Life is meaningless since the whole purpose of his writing was to show that meaning is derived from God.

Only some clever bit of quote-mining (like you have done here) will try to make it seem as if he felt that life was truly meaningless. Once again my dear you have no point.

......and yes I have now purposely emphasized the "feeling" so that you won't escape by playing on semantics.
Re: If I Were An Atheist by MrAnony1(m): 5:43am On Jan 24, 2013
Logicboy03:

Thanks for showing your ignorance

http://buddhism.about.com/od/basicbuddhistteachings/a/buddhaatheism.htm
http://thebuddhistblog..co.uk/2007/05/buddhism-and-atheism.html

If atheism is the absence of belief in gods, then many Buddhists are, indeed, atheists.

Buddhism is not about either believing or not believing in God or gods. Rather, the historical Buddha taught that believing in gods was not useful for those seeking to realize enlightenment. In other words, God is unnecessary in Buddhism. For this reason, Buddhism is more accurately called nontheistic than atheistic.

The above is from the first paragraph of your link.

I'll tell you something all buddhists must believe which is; life after death. Buddhists believe that man has a spirit.

Now please explain to me how this fits within an atheist worldview. After that, please explain to me how an atheist can logically hold that there is life after death and equally hold that God doesn't exist.

2 Likes

Re: If I Were An Atheist by MrAnony1(m): 5:53am On Jan 24, 2013
ifeness:
Judge not right?

Very christian of you. You seem to be all about worshiping ur master jesus and not actually pay attention to the message. because if you did,you will realise that Buddhists taught the same message as ur master did. Tolerance is what you lack ......you need to go back to ur root.
Lol, how very tolerant of you kind sir.

....by the way, you didn't understand my response; I am quite sure logicboy doesn't feel "judged". All the same I applaud your "tolerance".

2 Likes

Re: If I Were An Atheist by Nobody: 6:02am On Jan 24, 2013
Mr_Anony:
Lol, how very tolerant of you kind sir.

....by the way, you didn't understand my response; I am quite sure logicboy doesn't feel "judged". All the same I applaud your "tolerance".

I am gay.....would you still tolerate me?
Re: If I Were An Atheist by Nobody: 6:08am On Jan 24, 2013
Mr_Anony:
Ah the "anonyism cop-out again.
In your own words, predictability is a sign of consistency. Anonyism is quickly becoming a two-way street... thanks to you..

Mr_Anony:
If Solomon was writing a book whose sole aim is to make the statement God gives meaning, then it is obvious that he didn't really feel that Life is meaningless since the whole purpose of his writing was to show that meaning is derived from God.
1st highlighted - Na.. try 'conclusion' rather than 'sole aim'.. it would fit in more nicely in this context...
2nd highlighted - lol, what do you mean by 'really feel'... a loose opinion? Before you start your usual semantic waltz,
Feeling: Opinion based more on emotion than on reason; sentiment.

Let's say I agree with you that he didn't really feel, was Solomon drunk when he scribbled these verse?

Ecclesiastes 1:
12 I, the Teacher, was king over Israel in Jerusalem. 13 I applied my mind to study and to explore by wisdom all that is done under the heavens. What a heavy burden God has laid on mankind! 14 I have seen all the things that are done under the sun; all of them are meaningless, a chasing after the wind.

Mr_Anony:
Only some clever bit of quote-mining (like you have done here) will try to make it seem as if he felt that life was truly meaningless. Once again my dear you have no point.
Anony, anony, maybe you're the one who needs to go through the Book of Ecclesiastes instead of aimlessly rambling... If Solomon's verses in the opening books of Ecclesiastes weren't his opinions/feelings after experiencing all that life has to offer(at least physically), then what were they?

Mr_Anony:
......and yes I have now purposely emphasized the "feeling" so that you won't escape by playing on semantics.
So, you purposely switched 'feeling' for 'conclusion' in your original reply? undecided interesting...
Re: If I Were An Atheist by MrAnony1(m): 6:21am On Jan 24, 2013
ifeness:

I am gay.....would you still tolerate me?
Lol, I don't merely tolerate you, I love you gay or not.
Re: If I Were An Atheist by MrAnony1(m): 6:56am On Jan 24, 2013
musKeeto:
In your own words, predictability is a sign of consistency. Anonyism is quickly becoming a two-way street... thanks to you..
You've lost me here.

1st highlighted - Na.. try 'conclusion' rather than 'sole aim'.. it would fit in more nicely in this context...
Lol, more semantic play from you. "sole aim" or "conclusion". Doesn't change anything. The point of the book remains the same that God is the source of meaning (feel free to insert as many synonymsa as you like)

2nd highlighted - lol, what do you mean by 'really feel'... a loose opinion? Before you start your usual semantic waltz,
Feeling: Opinion based more on emotion than on reason; sentiment.

Let's say I agree with you that he didn't really feel, was Solomon drunk when he scribbled these verse?

Ecclesiastes 1:
12 I, the Teacher, was king over Israel in Jerusalem. 13 I applied my mind to study and to explore by wisdom all that is done under the heavens. What a heavy burden God has laid on mankind! 14 I have seen all the things that are done under the sun; all of them are meaningless, a chasing after the wind.

If definition (b) is what you meant by "feeling" i.e. emotion rather than reason, then Eccl 1:12-14 that you quoted does not help your case because because there Solomon clearly states that he took time to study.
Now what did Solomon study? As we read through the book we see Solomon carefully debunking the myths that that meaning can be found in riches, or wealth, or women, or political power e.t.c. He picks up each aspect one by one, discusses them at length and then one by one, he declares them vanity upon vanity. . . . .until we come to this beautiful climax:

Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God and keep His commandments, For this is man’s all.
For God will bring every work into judgment, Including every secret thing, Whether good or evil.

- Ecclesiastes 12:13-14

In fact if you study the book of Ecclesiastes, the whole point of that book illustrates the same message Jesus preached in Matthew 6:31-33

“..........Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Sometimes I really wish you would actually study the bible instead of merely quote mining it.

Anony, anony, maybe you're the one who needs to go through the Book of Ecclesiastes instead of aimlessly rambling... If Solomon's verses in the opening books of Ecclesiastes weren't his opinions/feelings after experiencing all that life has to offer(at least physically), then what were they?
Muskeeto muskeeto, when Solomon was experiencing all those riches and women, we both know that he was far from God (please read about the life of Solomon). Anyway, not that it matters, the very verse you quoted shows that Solomon in his book was not portraying a mere "feeling" like you would like us to believe.

So, you purposely switched 'feeling' for 'conclusion' in your original reply? undecided interesting...
Actually no I did not. You were the one who decided to focus on my choice of words rather than the meat of the argument I was making so I decided to purposely use the "feeling" word so as to show you that the point I am making is not dependent on the words I chose. I don't play on semantics. I always want people to get the point I am making and not focus on individual words.
Re: If I Were An Atheist by Nobody: 7:23am On Jan 24, 2013
Mr_Anony:
You've lost me here.
Lol, make that an 8-way street then, use google maps, you'd find your way back..

Mr_Anony:
Lol, more semantic play from you. "sole aim" or "conclusion". Doesn't change anything. The point of the book remains the same that God is the source of meaning (feel free to insert as many synonyms as you like)
Keep putting words in my mouth. You're the one who's finding it difficult to differentiate opinion from conclusion. You're trying desperately to change my initial argument. You accuse me of quote-mining and I replied that 'ONE DOESN'T HAVE TO BE AN ATHEIST TO FEEL LIKE LIFE'S MEANINGLESS'...
But for Anony to win an argument he himself started, I have to accept his definitions and synonyms.. lol...

Mr_Anony:
If definition (b) is what you meant by "feeling" i.e. emotion rather than reason, then Eccl 1:12-14 that you quoted does not help your case because because there Solomon clearly states that he took time to study.
Neither does it help your case, because if his studies led to these opinions, then they were quite solid opinions, OPINION not CONCLUSION, Anony

Mr_Anony:
Now what did Solomon study? As we read through the book we see Solomon carefully debunking the myths that that meaning can be found in riches, or wealth, or women, or political power e.t.c. He picks up each aspect one by one, discusses them at length and then one by one, he declares them vanity upon vanity. . . . .until we come to this beautiful climax:
Again, you switch the argument to his conclusion..

Mr_Anony:
Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God and keep His commandments, For this is man’s all. For God will bring every work into judgment, Including every secret thing, Whether good or evil.
- Ecclesiastes 12:13-14

Mr_Anony:
[s]In fact if you study the book of Ecclesiastes, the whole point of that book illustrates the same message Jesus preached in Matthew 6:31-33
“..........Therefore do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."
[/s]
Usual rambling..

Mr_Anony:
Sometimes I really wish you would actually study the bible instead of merely quote mining it.
And I wish you'd stop misrepresenting arguments, and introducing strawmen and strawladies where they aren't needed.. grin

Mr_Anony:
Muskeeto muskeeto, when Solomon was experiencing all those riches and women, we both know that he was far from God (please read about the life of Solomon). Anyway, not that it matters, the very verse you quoted shows that Solomon in his book was not portraying a mere "feeling" like you would like us to believe.
1ST HIGHLIGHTED - Was Solomon an atheist?
2ND HIGHLIGHTED - Keep dodging the obvious.. Until you find a word for whatever he was portraying/trying to convey, 'mere feeling' would do just fine..

Mr_Anony:
Actually no I did not. You were the one who decided to focus on my choice of words rather than the meat of the argument I was making so I decided to purposely use the "feeling" word so as to show you that the point I am making is not dependent on the words I chose. I don't play on semantics. I always want people to get the point I am making and not focus on individual words.
And how do you make these points without words? You get caught in a blatant act of Anonyism, and instead of owning up, you say the words don't matter, just the message? What the 4k?
Sorry, I don't speak in tongues... wink
Re: If I Were An Atheist by oiseworld: 7:48am On Jan 24, 2013
inspiredbyGOD:.:
And I don't think a disbelief in God would really make someone do all that. I just feel atheism brings about hopelessness with their "no purpose for life" nonsense.
Re: If I Were An Atheist by MrAnony1(m): 8:20am On Jan 24, 2013
musKeeto:
Lol, make that an 8-way street then, use google maps, you'd find your way back..

Keep putting words in my mouth. You're the one who's finding it difficult to differentiate opinion from conclusion. You're trying desperately to change my initial argument. You accuse me of quote-mining and I replied that 'ONE DOESN'T HAVE TO BE AN ATHEIST TO FEEL LIKE LIFE'S MEANINGLESS'...
But for Anony to win an argument he himself started, I have to accept his definitions and synonyms.. lol...
And I disagree with the part in capitals. It is logically incompatible to hold that Life is meaningless while while equally holding that God is the source of meaning.

But if it is "feeling" you want to argue here in the sense of an emotional opinion not backed by reason, then I don't see why I should argue over it or why you should hold up emotional opinions to help your argument.

Neither does it help your case, because if his studies led to these opinions, then they were quite solid opinions, OPINION not CONCLUSION, Anony
The point I keep making is that he was not of the opinion that life was meaningless but was merely using "vanity upon vanity" to lead his reader to his message which is that life's meaning is found in God.
You dance between the words "opinion" and "conclusion" for as long as you like my friend.

Again, you switch the argument to his conclusion..
Usual rambling..
No need to respond to these since you didn't give a response to me.

And I wish you'd stop misrepresenting arguments, and introducing strawmen and strawladies where they aren't needed.. grin
I assure you I am not arguing strawladies and gentlemen.

1ST HIGHLIGHTED - Was Solomon an atheist?
2ND HIGHLIGHTED - Keep dodging the obvious.. Until you find a word for whatever he was portraying/trying to convey, 'mere feeling' would do just fine..
The point I am making to you is that Solomon did not feel that life is meaningless. He was only using it as a rhethoric to lead his reader to the conclusion that the meaning of life lies with God.

And how do you make these points without words? You get caught in a blatant act of Anonyism, and instead of owing up, you say the words don't matter, just the message? What the 4k?
Sorry, I don't speak in tongues... ;
Lol, I am quite sure you understood perfectly what I said there. Pulling the "anonyism" cop-out does not help you.

Now all that said, if the point you were trying to make to InspiredbyGod was all about emotional feelings, then I see no reason why I should take it seriously. . . .or why you would go out of your way to base your argument upon what you knew to be a "feeling".
Anyway, I'm done here. The point remains that without God, life is purposeless. . . .and no Solomon did not feel life was purposeless rather he emphasized that God gives meaning to life.

Cheers.
Re: If I Were An Atheist by advocate666: 8:30am On Jan 24, 2013
Mr_Anony:
If the above was the point you were trying to make, then please don't blame me for not comprehending it because it makes no sense logically.
The whole point of Theism is that life's meaning is derived from God.

So actually you do need to be an atheist in order to conclude that life is meaningless.

No. Not according to Solomon as demonstrated by Muskeeto
Re: If I Were An Atheist by MrAnony1(m): 8:37am On Jan 24, 2013
advocate666:

No. Not according to Solomon as demonstrated by Muskeeto
My friend, go and actually read the book of Ecclesiastes.

@Muskeeto, I hope you noticed what advocate666 thought you said. Why don't you explain to him that you didn't mean "conclude" instead you meant "feel"
Re: If I Were An Atheist by Nobody: 8:41am On Jan 24, 2013
@Anony: congrats on debating yourself and winning... The last guy that did went on to become president of our country..

One doesn't have to be an atheist to 'feel' that life's meaningless, have doubts as to the purpose/non-purpose of life.... Ecclesiastes chronicles Solomon's search for purpose, and his conclusion.

3 Likes

Re: If I Were An Atheist by Nobody: 9:12am On Jan 24, 2013
Mr_Anony:

If atheism is the absence of belief in gods, then many Buddhists are, indeed, atheists.

Buddhism is not about either believing or not believing in God or gods. Rather, the historical Buddha taught that believing in gods was not useful for those seeking to realize enlightenment. In other words, God is unnecessary in Buddhism. For this reason, Buddhism is more accurately called nontheistic than atheistic.

The above is from the first paragraph of your link.

I'll tell you something all buddhists must believe which is; life after death. Buddhists believe that man has a spirit.

Now please explain to me how this fits within an atheist worldview. After that, please explain to me how an atheist can logically hold that there is life after death and equally hold that God doesn't exist.

lol.....the wrods of a desperate man.

Non-theism covers atheism and agnosticism

Nontheism was only created and continues to be used in order to avoid the negative baggage the comes with atheism due to the bigotry of so many Christians towards atheism.
http://atheism.about.com/od/Types-Atheism-FAQ/f/Difference-Nontheism-Atheism.htm

Secondly, not all buddhists believe in life after death or reincarnation. So try again.

See how you have to lie?
Re: If I Were An Atheist by Nobody: 9:14am On Jan 24, 2013
Mr_Anony:
Lol, I don't merely tolerate you, I love you gay or not.

Serious lies there.

Do you accept gay marriage?

Would you let your children be taught sex eductation by a gay person in high school?
Re: If I Were An Atheist by MrAnony1(m): 9:22am On Jan 24, 2013
musKeeto: @Anony: congrats on debating yourself and winning... The last guy that did went on to become president of our country..
Yawn. . . . the final cheap shot. Why don't you explain to your pal advocate666 exactly what you meant. He seems to have understood your response the same way I did.

One doesn't have to be an atheist to 'feel' that life's meaningless, have doubts as to the purpose/non-purpose of life.... Ecclesiastes chronicles Solomon's search for purpose, and his conclusion.
Yeah and one doesn't need to be a theist to "feel" that God gives life meaning.....what sort of argument is that?

You really want me to believe that "feelings" was the original point you wanted to pass across to InspiredbyGod? Or you adjusted your stance when you found your position untenable?

Either way, one good thing has come out of this we are now all clear on the fact that you were not really rebutting InspiredbyGod's point but was only informing us about how a theist might feel sometimes. Thank you for your contribution. Sorry we misunderstood you earlier. Please next time don't quote mine scripture with the intention of misleading people ok.

.....and yeah once again, advocate666 misunderstood your stance too. Could you kindly correct him. You wouldn't want him to be arguing straw ladies and gentlemen now would you?

3 Likes

Re: If I Were An Atheist by MrAnony1(m): 9:27am On Jan 24, 2013
Logicboy03:

lol.....the wrods of a desperate man.

Non-theism covers atheism and agnosticism

http://atheism.about.com/od/Types-Atheism-FAQ/f/Difference-Nontheism-Atheism.htm

Secondly, not all buddhists believe in life after death or reincarnation. So try again.

See how you have to lie?
Lol really? What sort of buddhist will those be?

Last I checked, the Buddha himself believed in life after death. The whole point of enlightenment is that you can only attain Nirvana after death. What are you talking about?

I wonder at this your brand of Buddhism that contradicts Buddha. Kinda like Christianity without Christ, or Islam without Mohammed. Lol, please don't make me laugh abeg.
Re: If I Were An Atheist by Nobody: 9:39am On Jan 24, 2013
Mr_Anony:
Lol really? What sort of buddhist will those be?

Last I checked, the Buddha himself believed in life after death. The whole point of enlightenment is that you can only attain Nirvana after death. What are you talking about?

I wonder at this your brand of Buddhism that contradicts Buddha. Kinda like Christianity without Christ, or Islam without Mohammed. Lol, please don't make me laugh abeg.

Seeing as you were confused about atheism (claiming there is nothing wrong with r.ape if you're an atheist) and satanism (claiming that there is no atheist version of satanism), there is no reason not to expect you to fail on Buddhism

Buddha would say nothing for or against life after death.
Reincarnation is often taught in Buddhism, but they also say there is no permanent self that moves from life to life.
Buddhism focuses on the present life...what you can do right now, so they do not worry about what comes after the death of the body.
Buddhists believe that there is no soul, only a conciousness that is made up of frames (snapshots of emotions, feelings, thought) The energy of this conciousness moves from body to body like a flame from candle to candle, until that conciousness reaches 'nirvana', when it becomes at 'blissful peace' with the universe.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Do_Buddhists_believe_in_life_after_death

Also, I like how you moved away from your failure on non-theism. smiley
Re: If I Were An Atheist by Nobody: 9:41am On Jan 24, 2013
@Anony: I need not say more. You probably misunderstood me..

Like I earlier said,
There's a difference between reading and comprehending.. ;-)
Re: If I Were An Atheist by Nobody: 9:48am On Jan 24, 2013
Re: If I Were An Atheist by MrAnony1(m): 10:00am On Jan 24, 2013
musKeeto: @Anony: I need not say more. You probably misunderstood me..
Lol, it appears I wasn't the only one to "misunderstand" you.....so I beg you please explain the same thing to advocate666 so that he can also understand your stance.

Like I earlier said,
There's a difference between reading and comprehending.. ;-)
Like I said too, there is a difference between referencing the bible and quote mining it
Re: If I Were An Atheist by MrAnony1(m): 10:09am On Jan 24, 2013
Logicboy03:

Seeing as you were confused about atheism (claiming there is nothing wrong with r.ape if you're an atheist) and satanism (claiming that there is no atheist version of satanism), there is no reason not to expect you to fail on Buddhism

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Do_Buddhists_believe_in_life_after_death
Lol seriously? wiki answers? You may as well quote a Nairaland thread or a facebook post.

I'll ask you one question: Which brand of buddhism does not believe in life after death? Name it.

Also, I like how you moved away from your failure on non-theism. smiley
Lol, I did not. You pulled out a very opinionated definition from about.com which is just as valid as if I quoted Yahoo Answers for a definition. You made no point. That I ignore some of your stuff sometimes is usually not because of "failure". Sometimes I just can't be bothered to reply it.

1 Like

Re: If I Were An Atheist by MrAnony1(m): 10:11am On Jan 24, 2013
Logicboy03: https://www.nairaland.com/1173344/anony-still-hold-atheist-there

Challenging your rape asserion
https://www.nairaland.com/1173344/anony-still-hold-atheist-there
I respectfully refuse to honour that thread with my presence. Feel free to ask the same question here
Re: If I Were An Atheist by Nobody: 10:20am On Jan 24, 2013
Mr_Anony:
Lol seriously? wiki answers? You may as well quote a Nairaland thread or a facebook post.

I'll ask you one question: Which brand of buddhism does not believe in life after death? Name it.

Lol, I did not. You pulled out a very opinionated definition from about.com which is just as valid as if I quoted Yahoo Answers for a definition. You made no point. That I ignore some of your stuff sometimes is usually not because of "failure". Sometimes I just can't be bothered to reply it.

1) Define non-theism if you feel that the definition I referenced was opinionated.

2) Misconcetptions about buddhism-

"All Buddhists believe in reincarnation"
This misconception is understandable, given that Tibetan Buddhists (such as the Dalai Lama), who do believe in a form of reincarnation, are perhaps the most "visible" of the many sects of Buddhism. Also, watching recent movies like Little Buddha, Seven Years in Tibet or Kundun, might lead one to believe that Tibetan Buddhism is "representative" of Buddhism in general. However, Shin Buddhists generally treat belief in reincarnation in the same way we treat belief in a god: We don't give it much thought. What's important is not which Buddhists believe in reincarnation and which don't, but that all Buddhists do strive to awaken to one central teaching: The universal truth of the impermanent and interdependent nature of all life. As our awareness of this truth awakens, so does our awareness of compassion.

http://www.livingdharma.org/Misconceptions.html
Re: If I Were An Atheist by Nobody: 10:24am On Jan 24, 2013
Mr_Anony:
I respectfully refuse to honour that thread with my presence. Feel free to ask the same question here

lol.....ashamed of your position? I also noticed that you removed the "ra.pe" comment from the original quote on that thread
Re: If I Were An Atheist by advocate666: 11:47am On Jan 24, 2013
Mr_Anony:
Yawn. . . . the final cheap shot. Why don't you explain to your pal advocate666 exactly what you meant. He seems to have understood your response the same way I did.

Yeah and one doesn't need to be a theist to "feel" that God gives life meaning.....what sort of argument is that?

You really want me to believe that "feelings" was the original point you wanted to pass across to InspiredbyGod? Or you adjusted your stance when you found your position untenable?

Either way, one good thing has come out of this we are now all clear on the fact that you were not really rebutting InspiredbyGod's point but was only informing us about how a theist might feel sometimes. Thank you for your contribution. Sorry we misunderstood you earlier. Please next time don't quote mine scripture with the intention of misleading people ok.

.....and yeah once again, advocate666 misunderstood your stance too. Could you kindly correct him. You wouldn't want him to be arguing straw ladies and gentlemen now would you?

I don't know why you are trying to use my statement to justify your stance because it doesn't. My statement was a rebutall of yours. I completely understand and agree with everything Muskeeto said here.

And I have read ecclesiates a number of times and my conclusion was that it was written by a depressed fellow who had to conclude with the god nonsense as many nigerians do. Even the ones that don't believe. Why? because in a godly society, so far as you mention god, whatever nonsense that spews out of your mouth is taken seriously by the people. So even when you are telling the truth, you need to mention god if you don't want to be ostracised.

Do you think that book would have been included in the bible if it didn't have that conclusion?

This is my own conclusion. Solomon was godly (theist). Solomon was depressed. Solomon decided (or felt, or concluded) that life is meaningless. Solomon wrote that life is meaningless. His consclusion affirms that he was godly theist.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Quran Burning Cancel / False prophet TB Joshua Caught Red Handed Editing His Prophecies!!! / The Beginning Of The End Of "Daddy Freeze".

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 112
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.