Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,786 members, 7,817,258 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:56 AM

Police Pension Boss Sentenced To 2yrs In Prison For Embezzling N23bn - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police Pension Boss Sentenced To 2yrs In Prison For Embezzling N23bn (18005 Views)

Dasuki Handcuffed Buhari to Rot In Prison For 2yrs In 1985, Its Payback time! / ICPC Uncovers Over N23bn Pension Funds ‘lost’ In 40 Bank Accounts / Yakubu Yusuf Rearrested Over Police Pension Scheme (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Police Pension Boss Sentenced To 2yrs In Prison For Embezzling N23bn by dnawah(m): 6:37am On Jan 29, 2013
Wat is going in on in this country?y did they not give Henry Okah and Co.an option?(am not in support of terrorism)if i may ask,how many people must have died,waiting 4 this same pension?is this not also terrorism?9ja na wa o!;-(

1 Like

Re: Police Pension Boss Sentenced To 2yrs In Prison For Embezzling N23bn by Yinkay: 7:30am On Jan 29, 2013
Over to you 9ja policemen, where is the stray bullet when it is urgently needed!
Re: Police Pension Boss Sentenced To 2yrs In Prison For Embezzling N23bn by geeez: 7:55am On Jan 29, 2013
I keep saying Ibori won't be in jail now if he was tried in Nigeria while Henry Okah may be a minster now if he wasn't arrested in SA

I can imagine CNN's Jonathan Mann reporting this and he goes like, 'for stealing retired police men's pension funds worth guess ... $146m, a convict gets ... wait for it, a 2yr jail term but he's not gonna spend a night in behind bars as he was given an option of a fine of ... you won't believe this 1,500 bucks. I know a whole lotta people that would help him pay twice the fine or do the time to get a quarter of his booty ...
Re: Police Pension Boss Sentenced To 2yrs In Prison For Embezzling N23bn by hugafella(m): 8:01am On Jan 29, 2013
This is not just a mockery of our judicial system, but a miscarriage of justice in every sense of it.

This judgment is repugnant to natural justice, equity and good conscience. We can never win the fight against corruption by these types of judgments.

In this same country, many have been 10 years behind bars for stealing just a car, but this man gets 2yrs for stealing N23Billion? With an option of fine? Oh my God! it must be an honor to be an ex-convict in Nigeria.

The only lesson here is: if u want to steal in Nigeria, steal in Billions.
Re: Police Pension Boss Sentenced To 2yrs In Prison For Embezzling N23bn by plendil: 8:10am On Jan 29, 2013
geeez: I keep saying Ibori won't be in jail now if he was tried in Nigeria while Henry Okah may be a minster now if he wasn't arrested in SA

I can imagine CNN's Jonathan Mann reporting this and he goes like, 'for stealing retired police men's pension funds worth guess ... $146m, a convict gets ... wait for it, a 2yr jail term but he's not gonna spend a night in behind bars as he was given an option of a fine of ... you won't believe this $1,500 bucks. I know a whole lotta people that would help him pay twice the fine or do the time to get a quarter of his booty ...

Na wa O!! This country don suffer! embarassed embarassed
Re: Police Pension Boss Sentenced To 2yrs In Prison For Embezzling N23bn by knash1(m): 8:12am On Jan 29, 2013
our comments here wont change anything. its high time we youth should stand and stop all dis. all we need is a revolution. egyptians dont take nonsense from dia govt. if all niaralanders can come out order, youths will join. TUC and NLC are worst dan govt. neva trust those bastards. enough is enough.
Re: Police Pension Boss Sentenced To 2yrs In Prison For Embezzling N23bn by fm7070: 8:45am On Jan 29, 2013
The moral lesson is steal small, get big jail sentence or steal very big and get small jail sentence
Nigeria, where is your treasury, let me loot the 500Tr and get 5years jail term with option of 1m Naira fine.
With the levity they're handling corruption cases, This nation is doomed!
Re: Police Pension Boss Sentenced To 2yrs In Prison For Embezzling N23bn by nex(m): 9:10am On Jan 29, 2013
Since The UK has helped us give Ibori a fair trial, and South Africa has helped us to give Henry Okah a fair trial, maybe our government is expecting Saudi Arabia to also mete out just punishment on this John Yakubu Yusuf fellow.
Re: Police Pension Boss Sentenced To 2yrs In Prison For Embezzling N23bn by ethelfun(m): 9:10am On Jan 29, 2013
This is madness at its peak..... Bleep the Nigerian Judiciary, Bleep the Nigerian Legislooters, and Bleep Bleep Bleep the Nigerian President!!! angry angry
Re: Police Pension Boss Sentenced To 2yrs In Prison For Embezzling N23bn by Kx: 9:12am On Jan 29, 2013
Imagine the helpless pensioners and pensioners dependents that were deprived of life, joy, education etc because their pension were not paid.Speechless.

For this judgement,May God forgive us- I mean the nation.
Re: Police Pension Boss Sentenced To 2yrs In Prison For Embezzling N23bn by annastacie: 9:19am On Jan 29, 2013
unbelievable only in naija you will hear of such comment am total speechless i better go back to my Cotonou country
at least my mind will be at ease cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Police Pension Boss Sentenced To 2yrs In Prison For Embezzling N23bn by lumeneng22: 9:26am On Jan 29, 2013
Why serving police no go collect bribe? All sleeping judge should be sent on conpulsory leave/retirement.
Re: Police Pension Boss Sentenced To 2yrs In Prison For Embezzling N23bn by Ribaman(m): 9:51am On Jan 29, 2013
Ptimes: The pension boss will also forfeit property.

An Abuja High Court has sentenced a former head of the Police Pension Board, Yakubu Yusuf, to two years in prison.

He pleaded guilty to the embezzlement of N23.3 billion and is to forfeit property valued at N325 million.

He was given an option of N250 thousand to avoid the jail sentence.

Details later…

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/117515-breaking-news-abuja-court-sentences-police-pension-boss-to-2yrs-in-prison-for-embezzling-n23bn.html?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=breaking-news-abuja-court-sentences-police-pension-boss-to-2yrs-in-prison-for-embezzling-n23bn

In the light of this judgement, may be its time to agree with the naysayers : this country is headed for the rocks! sad

An Abuja High Court has sentenced a former head of the Police Pension Board, Yakubu Yusuf, to two years in prison.

He pleaded guilty to the embezzlement of N23.3 billion and is to forfeit property valued at N325 million.

Details later…

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/117515-breaking-news-abuja-court-sentences-police-pension-boss-to-2yrs-in-prison-for-embezzling-n23bn.html?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=breaking-news-abuja-court-sentences-police-pension-boss-to-2yrs-in-prison-for-embezzling-n23bn

In the light of this judgement, may be its time to agree with the naysayers : this country is headed for the rocks!
Re: Police Pension Boss Sentenced To 2yrs In Prison For Embezzling N23bn by Chizua(m): 9:58am On Jan 29, 2013

Details later…

...and then what happen to the balance of N22.9b? I need an answer ASP.
Re: Police Pension Boss Sentenced To 2yrs In Prison For Embezzling N23bn by BeraBera(f): 10:00am On Jan 29, 2013
[size=14pt]Shame on that Judge. He has in deed failed the entire nation and especially those retired policemen who were shortchanged or deprived of their pensions.
It's either that judge was bribed or was threatened to give such a watery judgement.
Infact, i want the Nigeria Bar Association to call him for questioning. Also, i would like the prosecutors to appeal this judgement before the pension-stealing-1diot runs away from the country.
What a shame![/size]
Re: Police Pension Boss Sentenced To 2yrs In Prison For Embezzling N23bn by klear(f): 10:05am On Jan 29, 2013
*big sigh* cos am short of words...@ tyms like this I passionately hate being a Nigerian. Look at the mockery that they have turned this country to. God are you there? I know you are, I know you are watching & I know that you will judge all man according to his deeds. Father, I pray that that thief & the judge that gave such a ridiculous judgement taste the full wrath of your anger, may karma visit their household. A lot of old men & women died wretched & in pains, suffered needlessly due to this & yet crythey have been denied judgement. Father look at their tears & do not keep silent cry cry cry
Re: Police Pension Boss Sentenced To 2yrs In Prison For Embezzling N23bn by Clazzik: 10:54am On Jan 29, 2013
Bleep!.... This is rubbish, so if he paid d 250k he won't b Sentenced for embezzlin such huge amount of fund?...... A country where poor man will b killed for stealin maggi n give an option of 250k to forfeit jail terms for stealing huge sum of money..... Bleep Nigerian System!
Re: Police Pension Boss Sentenced To 2yrs In Prison For Embezzling N23bn by Nobody: 11:34am On Jan 29, 2013
I wonder what would have happened if it was a non political / common man who embezzled such funds.
Probably by now, he would have been dead!
Na wa ooh!
Re: Police Pension Boss Sentenced To 2yrs In Prison For Embezzling N23bn by tmd01: 11:34am On Jan 29, 2013
gramci: The land is green grin

WHATEVER!!! we've had worse cases and the worst may still be on its way plus, these folks don't even have that time to visit nairaland. so don't get it so hard on u,smile n know that this land is DAMN GREEEEEN!!! grin grin grin

Re: Police Pension Boss Sentenced To 2yrs In Prison For Embezzling N23bn by olason(m): 11:47am On Jan 29, 2013
IS ITN'T TIME WE STARTED A ROLL CALL OF SHAME FOR PUBLIC OFFICERS WHOSE DUTY TO THEIR BELLIES SUBSUMED THEIR SENSE OF HONOUR.
THIS JUSTICE TALBA MOHAMMED IS OF THE SAME MORAL FIBRE AS JUSTICE AWOKUNLEHIN WHO WASHED IBORI CLEAN FOR $5M AND DECLARED HIM GUILTLESS. I VOTE WE INAUGURATE A ROLL CALL OF SHAME STARTING WITH THIS JUSTICE MOHAMMED TALBA
OFFICIALS OF SHAME
1)JUSTICE AWOKUNLEHIN
2)JUSTICE MOHAMMED TALBA
3)......................PLEASE SUGGEST OTHERS
Re: Police Pension Boss Sentenced To 2yrs In Prison For Embezzling N23bn by olason(m): 11:51am On Jan 29, 2013
Who is that judge?,how did he come to that conclusion?, is he in his right senses?,how much was he given to pronounce this type of judgement?.He has no shame.That judgement does not comensurate with the offence committed.How on earth will that type of judgement discourage other people from looting the treasury.Definately , he is one the bad eggs in the judiciary system,that need to be disgaced publicly and prosecuted.
Death penalty is the only solution to looters and their collaborators.
Re: Police Pension Boss Sentenced To 2yrs In Prison For Embezzling N23bn by upchair(m): 11:56am On Jan 29, 2013
The Nigerian judiciary unfortunately has shown its true nature once again. The latest?; Given the police pension board director an option of paying a fine of N750,000.00 instead of going to jail for 2 years for stealing N32.8 billion. This is preposterous, sickening and shocking to say the least. It is obviously a reflection once again of how corrupt the judiciary in Nigeria is.

The nigerian judiciary once again has murdered justice. The nigerian judiciary once again has made a mockery of itself. The nigerian judiciary once again has displayed a great depth of perfidy to the Nigerian people.

When will the Nigerian legal system become an epitome of proper and true justice for the common man? When will it stop leading and encouraging corruption? These are questions begging for answers. The Nigerian judiciary is a disgrace to the Nigerian nation. It is bereft of scruples, integrity and professionalism. It continues to throw all caution to the wind and obviously, does not care if Nigerians are watching. Put differently, it is insensitive to the feelings and will of Nigerians who naturally should see it as the last hope for the common man.

Ironically and unfortunately it is now obviously the last hope for the corrupt hawks who are trying very hard to let this country sink further into the abyss of hopelessness.
The nigerian judiciary once again SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF ITSELF. I say SHAME, SHAME, SHAME TO THE SHAMELESS NIGERIAN JUDICIARY.
Re: Police Pension Boss Sentenced To 2yrs In Prison For Embezzling N23bn by slimghost(m): 12:40pm On Jan 29, 2013
bla bla bla bla bla. Everybody blabbing. We Nigerian Youths are bloody cowards, all we do is complain and then endure. Haven't we been taken for a ride enough? I tel yall, a peaceful change will never happen in Nigeria, either we take our country back by force or we STFU and let these bastards enjoy it all!

1 Like

Re: Police Pension Boss Sentenced To 2yrs In Prison For Embezzling N23bn by thisisme2013: 1:45pm On Jan 29, 2013
Okay now angry see how dem do am like say na one better judgement dem give.

No bi for dis my very own naija where goat dey swallow elephant the leg no dey show.

I say steal Maggi cube na firing squad straight but loot Billion dem go give you honorate degree Thief Zillion dem go ask you for change
Abeg make dem fly jor nonesens*****e undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Police Pension Boss Sentenced To 2yrs In Prison For Embezzling N23bn by olason(m): 2:12pm On Jan 29, 2013
Hungry 27-year-old man jailed 6 months for stealing N1, 200. That was an headline news in the premium times. its only justice for the poor, while the rich just smile and get a pat on the back. I smell revolution coming sooner than expected.
Re: Police Pension Boss Sentenced To 2yrs In Prison For Embezzling N23bn by horlatunde(m): 2:15am On Jan 30, 2013
Dis Man ought to die by firing squared.
Let do little mathematical calculation of
hw much he stole.
With dat #23billion, and he decides to
spend #1million every day it will take
him 63years to finish d money... Let's
calculate
365days = 1year
365 days * 63years=22995days
22995 days * 1million per
day=22995000000(22billion nine
hundred and ninety-five million)
remaining 5million 4 his burial wen he
die.
So therefore, if he spends half a million
every day, it will take me 63years * 2 =
126year.
U can see hw devilish dis pple cud be.....
And u bail such a person with 750k
only dats ridiculous man.

1 Like

Re: Police Pension Boss Sentenced To 2yrs In Prison For Embezzling N23bn by Roland17(m): 3:12am On Jan 30, 2013
If you are caught cheating in JAMB you are sentenced to 21 years in jail, while the former DG of the police pensions board who plead guilty to embezzlement of N23.3 billion Naira was sentenced to 2 years imprisonment with an option of N750,000 which he obviously took, he paid the money right there in court and left Scot free.

This government is massively corrupt and its obvious Jonathan does not have the courage or will to tackle the issue of corruption under his nose.

1 Like

Re: Police Pension Boss Sentenced To 2yrs In Prison For Embezzling N23bn by chinkelly(m): 10:10am On Jan 30, 2013
Maxymilliano:

People like you will never cease to amaze me with your jaundice opinion, what does the president have to do with this and did you bother to check when the aforementioned case was instituted against the rogue pension boss and the years under scrutiny before arriving at your conclusion?
U are clearly a fool if u realy think Jonathan has no hand in this. Its like saying u have no say in affairs of ur household, ur son can misbehave and u just sit and do nothin.
Re: Police Pension Boss Sentenced To 2yrs In Prison For Embezzling N23bn by plendil: 11:51am On Jan 30, 2013
horlatunde: Dis Man ought to die by firing squared.
Let do little mathematical calculation of
hw much he stole.
With dat #23billion, and he decides to
spend #1million every day it will take
him 63years to finish d money... Let's
calculate
365days = 1year
365 days * 63years=22995days
22995 days * 1million per
day=22995000000(22billion nine
hundred and ninety-five million)
remaining 5million 4 his burial wen he
die.
So therefore, if he spends half a million
every day, it will take me 63years * 2 =
126year.
U can see hw devilish dis pple cud be.....
And u bail such a person with 750k
only dats ridiculous man.

@ bolded. This is actually a start. Put pressure on our representatives to review the existing law. I do recall death penalty had actually been prescribed for corrupt practises in the past.
Re: Police Pension Boss Sentenced To 2yrs In Prison For Embezzling N23bn by skyp(m): 12:21pm On Jan 30, 2013
Cn't we protest against this judgement, if we should continue like this what will be the state of this nation in years to come? Honestly, I sincerely believe that writting and posting comments alone on this thread we not make any difference and secondly rearresting the person involved in this mess will not also make any differnce rather the arrest is just to pacify the tension of Nigerians.
Re: Police Pension Boss Sentenced To 2yrs In Prison For Embezzling N23bn by olason(m): 6:13pm On Jan 30, 2013
Two judgements delivered within the last one week by two different courts send powerful messages to both the poor and the rich in the country. On Wednesday, in Abeokuta, a magistrate court headed by Idowu Olayinka sentenced 49-year-old Mustapha Adesina to two years in prison for stealing vegetables valued N5, 000. This Monday, in Abuja, a former director of the Police Pension Board, Yakubu Yusuf, who admitted he stole N32.8 billion, received an even lighter sentence from Justice Abubakar Talba of the FCT High Court: two years in jail or payment of N750, 000 fine. In other words, the latter convict was told to pay 0.0015 of what he stole and walk home free while the former, who probably could not pay the N10, 000 fine given him as an option, would spend two years in jail.

With these contrasting judgements, no one needs to be reminded anymore that justice in Nigeria is a travesty. Little wonder why the prisons are brimming with the poor and the unknown while the rich and the powerful who commit more grievous crimes get away scot-free. Indeed, convicts like Yusuf have become the new normal. Former Edo State governor Lucky Igbinedion, who was found guilty of stealing N9 billion, was fined N3 million after a fraudulent process called “plea bargaining”. Cecilia Ibru was said to have crippled Oceanic Bank plc after stealing more than N190 billion, but she spent just four months, not in jail but in a hospital; there are now even reports that she has reclaimed most of her properties that had been confiscated. Former inspector-general of police Tafa Balogun stole N17 billion but was sentenced to six months in jail – and he spent most of the term in a hospital too.

Those are among the few celebrated cases that ended up in the court slapping the influential convicts on the wrist. The cases of many others have either been buried in endless litigations or forgotten altogether. The man who stole vegetables – most likely out of poverty and probably to feed himself and his family – will spend two years in jail while all the suspects in the murders of Bola Ige, Marshal Harry, Aminoasari Dikibo, Funsho Williams, Dipo Ojerinde and others have been freed.

While members of the executive arm of government are the usual culprits in embezzlement of public funds, it could be safely concluded that the Nigerian judiciary is the greatest cog in the country’s wheel of progress. For all the public outcry against corrupt judges, the temple of justice in this country is still tainted with the putrid smell of corruption. Almost always, it is chicken thieves who steal to stay alive that get sentenced while those who steal billions of naira can buy their way out of trouble. Knowing that it is money that can set them free, treasury looters have learned to steal very huge sums: “the bigger the loot, the safer.”

These days, Supreme Court judges are given the privilege of nominating and appointing the minister of justice/attorney-general of the federation, and ditto for many states. This has ensured that corruption is kept alive at the expense of the country and the ordinary people of the land.

Clearly, justice has been exiled from the Nigerian soil. Only last week, a court in South Africa convicted MEND terrorist Henry Okah after a trial that lasted three months. His accomplices in Nigeria are still undergoing trial; it was after the South African court found Okah guilty that the Nigerian court hurriedly found one of the suspects standing trial for the October 1, 2010, bombing, Edmond Ebiwere, guilty. And, a little over a year ago, it took a court in the United Kingdom to send ex-governor James Ibori to jail. The former governor of Delta State had been discharged and acquitted by a Nigerian court for the same offences. Nigerians have not forgotten Michael Aondoakaa, the most roguish attorney-general of the federation so far; he has been banned from entering the United States for crookery but the Nigerian authorities have not got the message the US is sending.

Is it strange, then, that no “big man” in Nigeria is in jail today in spite of the monumental corruption witnessed every day? No. What exists in the country is like a cult of the rich and influential who control the executive, legislature and judiciary. Convict Yusuf is lucky to belong to that club. And it has earned him the freedom he needs so much. Out of the N32.8 billion he embezzled, he would have lost less than N1billion through forfeiture of his properties, payment of a fine and getting “justice” done speedily. He may even buy back the confiscated properties with the balance of the looted billions remaining with him. And he will enjoy the rest of the money in the most beautiful cities of the world – and live happily ever after.

The vegetable thief from Abeokuta must be full of anguish now, knowing that Nigeria is hellish to poor thieves but magnanimous to the rich ones. In this country, the judiciary has since ceased to be the last hope of the common man; it has become the last refuge of crooks. Is it surprising then that many of our young people are carrying arms against the state via one terrorist group or the other?
Re: Police Pension Boss Sentenced To 2yrs In Prison For Embezzling N23bn by olason(m): 6:15pm On Jan 30, 2013
This piece was taken from the Leadership Newspaper.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Imo Election: Supreme Court Set To Hear Ihedioha’s Application / NAFDAC Warns Nigerians On Products Advertised On Social Media / #AnambraDecides: No Election In Isuaniocha, Awka North - Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.