Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,612 members, 7,809,235 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:20 AM

Kelvin Okafor's Truly Amazing Drawings - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Kelvin Okafor's Truly Amazing Drawings (25906 Views)

Meet Kelvin Okafor: The Artist Whose Drawings Are Almost Like Pictures / Are Kelvin Okafor's Portraits Fake? / Kelvin Okafor's Truly Amazing Drawings! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kelvin Okafor's Truly Amazing Drawings by gluv01(f): 9:41pm On Jan 29, 2013
Wow...this is wonderful

A series of pencil drawings by a north London artist has been amazing art critics.

Kelvin Okafor, from Tottenham, has scooped a number of national awards and exhibited art galleries across the country.

The 27-year-old Middlesex University Fine Art graduate's drawings are often mistaken for photographs.

Sarah Harris reports.

He is from Nigeria but stays in Tottenham. His art works are usually mistaken for photos. Fantastic art works. One of his art work or any is sold for £10,000 which is approximately #265,000 in Nigerian currency. That is the minimum amount especially depending on who or what he is painting. If he is to paint the queen of England it should be a higher amount. And to the surprise of people, his work sells quickly and to a lot of people. Very profitable I must say. cheesy (hehehehe ...these yankee babes go start wetin them sabi now, he'll look more attractive to them now. Wish he was my bf, just kidding o please.)
Meet Kelvin Okafor, an amazing artist whose drawings most people insist are photographs.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/968098_KO6_jpeg66ff5d063f3c6a2634c876fd4baec0a8

www.nairaland.com/attachments/968099_KO7_jpeg477856c5929dcb79e5cfb2466110419d

www.nairaland.com/attachments/968100_KO3_jpeg2c31c7341dbddc3ae78033d3553715b5

www.nairaland.com/attachments/968101_KO8_jpege46138e31da80c44987556a9c9116108

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LlSb-6DuIQ

view more of his work:

facebook - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kelvin-Okafor-Art/109909719036016
twitter - @kelvinokaforart
blog - http://kelvinokaforart..com
youtube - http://www.youtube.com/user/Kokaforart
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-21234214

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kelvin Okafor's Truly Amazing Drawings by DisGuy: 9:45pm On Jan 29, 2013
brilliant talent!

2 Likes

Re: Kelvin Okafor's Truly Amazing Drawings by ElliG: 9:49pm On Jan 29, 2013
nice one
Re: Kelvin Okafor's Truly Amazing Drawings by Wisetalk1: 10:00pm On Jan 29, 2013
There are two things that easily bring fulfillment in life, first is what u love and the second is what brings you money. If what you love is also what brings you money, then you are certainly on top of your career. If the reverse is the case, it may leave you miseable. This is why there are alot of frustrated graduates and on the other end, there are so many happy self-employed individuals.

18 Likes

Re: Kelvin Okafor's Truly Amazing Drawings by Salmoneus(m): 10:50pm On Jan 29, 2013
gluv01: Wow...this is wonderful
Wish he was my bf
Baby girl I can draw too....

11 Likes

Re: Kelvin Okafor's Truly Amazing Drawings by gluv01(f): 11:54pm On Jan 29, 2013
Salmoneus:
Baby girl I can draw too....
Lmao....chei, iyaf laff my belle out o, because i said I wish he was my bf cheesy...i haven't seen ur work so how am i to conclude that indeed u can...show me what u've got. Or better still do u mind giving me a portrait of myself? kiss

1 Like

Re: Kelvin Okafor's Truly Amazing Drawings by Salmoneus(m): 9:19am On Jan 30, 2013
Just visit my site babes (www.blackspittle.com), I created everything there. kiss

2 Likes

Re: Kelvin Okafor's Truly Amazing Drawings by Arin777: 1:03am On Jan 31, 2013
Pleasevavoid 'Safe Forte Investments Limited', Cairo Street, Opposite Diamond Bank, Wuse 2, Abuja.mThis is a criminal enterprise, a 419 business. Please do not go near these people. Once your money gets into their system, you will struggle to get it all back. They collect your money and use some to settle their old debts then you have to wait for them to get another maga whose funds they'll use to settle some of your own indebtedness. They will never pay you in full except Heaven helps you.

The owner, Mr. Adesola Adesola is as fraudulent as they come.

Please avoid these three numbers as much as possible:

A. 08103951616
B. 08023321292
C. 08037865525

Please stay safe. Don't deal with these fraudsters.

12 Likes

Re: Kelvin Okafor's Truly Amazing Drawings by McLincolnGuzit(m): 1:03am On Jan 31, 2013
He is talented..AWESOME![color=#006600][/color]
Re: Kelvin Okafor's Truly Amazing Drawings by pekelepekele(m): 1:10am On Jan 31, 2013
This one na witch oo!!! 10 gbosa abeg!!! . In fact despite the op said those pics was painted am still doubting if they were really painted ? This is really Nigeria's got talent!

5 Likes

Re: Kelvin Okafor's Truly Amazing Drawings by onila(f): 1:11am On Jan 31, 2013

27 year old Kelvin Okafor is a graduate of Fine Art, Middlesex University and is now making waves across the world with his incredible pencil drawings that looks like photographs.

Kelvin creates each piece only in black and white, using graphite pencils, charcoal, and black coloured pencil. He's exhibited at numerous major art galleries and won several national awards for his remarkable work. His work is currently on display at the The Watercolours + Works on Paper Fair at the London Science Museum, until February 3.

Kelvin writes on his blog:
'I aspire to create art as vivid as eyes could see. I want my drawings to prompt an emotional response, making viewers feel as though they are looking at a real live subject. I’ve always been creative, but fell in love with using pencils in particular.
It amazed me, that with only one shade of lead, you can create so many tones and textures, and almost create the illusion of colour. It was only when my images started to create a buzz with other Middlesex University students that I realised their impact.'
See more of his sketches after the cut...

Kelvin Okafur, 27, graduated from Middlesex University in fine art and is now making waves across the country.
His subjects include popular music artists Tinie Tempah, James Morrison and Adele.
He has also picked out tragic figures from actor Heath Ledger to the late King of Jordan, King Hussein - and with each, he tries to evoke an emotion in the viewer.
Finally, he has used friends and colleagues for the impressively accurate images, which look like soft focus digital photos.
Last year, the artist from Tottenham, north London, exhibited at numerous major art galleries and won a clutch of prestigious national awards for his remarkable work.
Each of his pieces takes around 80-100 hours to complete, over approximately three weeks in the studio.
Mr Okafor creates each piece only in black and white - using graphite pencils, charcoal, black coloured pencil and sometimes grey pastels.
Yet he believes that the range of tone, shade and texture is almost endless.
He draws on a combination of life and photographs, working on his art for up to 15 hours a day.
He admits he is 'passionate about precision'.
'I aspire to create art as vivid as eyes could see,' the artist writes on his blog.
'I want my drawings to prompt an emotional response, making viewers feel as though they are looking at a real live subject.
Mr Okafor describes the pencil as 'a humble instrument', but says this is part of its appeal.
'I’ve always been creative, but fell in love with using pencils in particular.
'It amazed me, that with only one shade of lead, you can create so many tones and textures, and almost create the illusion of colour.
'It was only when my images started to create a buzz with other Middlesex University students that I realised their impact.'
He was selected as one of the top two pieces of work at Cork Street Gallery's Winter Show in 2012 and recently won the Catherine Petitgas Visitors’ Choice Prize, part of the National Open Art Competition.
His work is currently on display at the The Watercolours + Works on Paper Fair at the London Science Museum, until February 3.
Before starting a piece, Mr Okafor spends a few days analysing a photo, concentrating first on the subject’s eyes, which are central to his works' impact.
His pieces are now selling for on average £8,000-£10,000, depending on the scale.
'The attention I’m receiving is surreal and hasn’t really sunk in yet,' he added.
'I’m usually sheltered from it in my studio as I continue to build my portfolio, but I’m really humbled and honoured that so many people appreciate my work.
'I hope to have my own gallery in the future.'
He has now had more than 50 commissions, and the dedicated artist cites his role models as Leonardo da Vinci and Michelangelo - because they not only mastered the arts but branched out into other fields including engineering, poetry, science and maths.
Twitter users describe his work as 'incredible', 'extraordinary' and 'astounding'.

Re: Kelvin Okafor's Truly Amazing Drawings by Nobody: 1:15am On Jan 31, 2013
Omo, this na jazz grin. Kai!

1 Like

Re: Kelvin Okafor's Truly Amazing Drawings by onila(f): 1:17am On Jan 31, 2013
The London-based artist has now scooped national awards and is exhibiting across the country. Pictured, Rihanna
Re: Kelvin Okafor's Truly Amazing Drawings by Ejine(m): 1:19am On Jan 31, 2013
Salmoneus: Just visit my site babes (www.blackspittle.com), I created everything there. kiss

Bros... I got this from your site:

These caricatures, I really don't know what to call sha...

Your "Don Jazzy" looks more like Dr Dre

Your 'Omotola' looks like Kerry Washington

Your "Genevieve" looks more like Grace Jones

and your 'DBanj'? OMG

But hey, atleast the Ruggedman and 9ice caricatures are on point cool

6 Likes

Re: Kelvin Okafor's Truly Amazing Drawings by redsun(m): 1:25am On Jan 31, 2013
Artists are amazing people.
Re: Kelvin Okafor's Truly Amazing Drawings by TableLeg(m): 1:31am On Jan 31, 2013
Brilliant ....
Re: Kelvin Okafor's Truly Amazing Drawings by Dfrenzy(m): 1:34am On Jan 31, 2013
My parents eh, oh God!!! Nigeria eh, damn!!! When i was a kid eh, come see talents: drawing, writing, singing etc. But, as tym goes on, parents keep forcing you to be serious with your studies n 4get all this childishness 4 now, dat later on when u are done with school n start to work u can waste your own money in all dis your childish rubbish. Then finally, u get to b on your own n they start to tell u, wat are u doing o? Didn't u see felix, your childhood friend has married n now has two children? Don't grow up o, be wasting your tym n money to play around o. Then, der's d bad leadership problem, leaders who don't want d youths to survive. Instead of creating recreational centres, skills acquisition centres n what have u, na lie. Dem go buy guns n bomb give us. What am i saying? We have lots of dat same talents in this country but d unenabling environment is killing us. I bet u, if he had being in 9ja u would not have know him, u dey der dey die 4 am, painter non dey your street? Mtcheeew

13 Likes

Re: Kelvin Okafor's Truly Amazing Drawings by TimePiece(f): 1:40am On Jan 31, 2013
this is just awesome! shocked
I still find it difficult to believe that they're pencil works.
Re: Kelvin Okafor's Truly Amazing Drawings by hoodboy(m): 1:42am On Jan 31, 2013
His art is divine, God has really blessed his hands
Re: Kelvin Okafor's Truly Amazing Drawings by Dfrenzy(m): 1:44am On Jan 31, 2013
Ejiné:

Bros... I got this from your site:

These caricatures, I really don't know what to call sha...

Your "Don Jazzy" looks more like Dr Dre

Your 'Omotola' looks like Kerry Washington

Your "Genevieve" looks more like Grace Jones

and your 'DBanj'? OMG

But hey, atleast the Ruggedman and 9ice caricatures are on point cool
u non well, u hear.

1 Like

Re: Kelvin Okafor's Truly Amazing Drawings by Nobody: 1:44am On Jan 31, 2013
Simply Genius! Amazing....
Re: Kelvin Okafor's Truly Amazing Drawings by lafuria1(m): 1:59am On Jan 31, 2013
There are certain things no one can teach you. this guy is the messi of drawings. i keep saying nigerians have potential, they need a little push from govt and amazing things can be achieved
Re: Kelvin Okafor's Truly Amazing Drawings by lagcity(m): 2:09am On Jan 31, 2013
I am so angry at this Okafor guy. Immediately I saw the title, I said "I bet he is lefthanded." I thought we lefthanders are supposed to be better in art than righties. Okafor, please go and change to left hand or else we will find you!

1 Like

Re: Kelvin Okafor's Truly Amazing Drawings by Rocktation(f): 2:15am On Jan 31, 2013
Great works!
It'd be nice if the critics from this section, show me the "unblurred" pencil lines, now.
angry
Re: Kelvin Okafor's Truly Amazing Drawings by redcliff: 2:18am On Jan 31, 2013
Kai. Why this guy dey make 'black and white' effect in photoshop look redundant?
Re: Kelvin Okafor's Truly Amazing Drawings by redcliff: 2:19am On Jan 31, 2013
Rocktation: Great works!
It'd be nice if the critics from this section, show me the "unblurred" pencil lines, now.
angry

Consider his works photographed images converted to black and white with a photo editor. Its perfect!
Re: Kelvin Okafor's Truly Amazing Drawings by delors(m): 2:30am On Jan 31, 2013
I am also very good...its just that they are yet to discover my talent...
I used my pencil and crayon to draw Asa yesterday...If not for NEPA, I would have done better...check the image my work below...I hope she pays at least N1000 for this...e nor easy na...

26 Likes

Re: Kelvin Okafor's Truly Amazing Drawings by Rocktation(f): 2:43am On Jan 31, 2013
redcliff:

Consider his works photographed images converted to black and white with a photo editor. Its perfect!

Lol. This is just hilarious. What, you think Americans allow these artists to be hallmarked for something they don't actually do? Really? My brother, if they say he uses only charcoal on slate, then by God, he does exactly that!
I don't understand my Naija people oo. Every one us seem to think that we can play detective and nail these artists better than our oyinbo counterparts can.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Beautiful Paintings / Amazing 3-D Pencil Sketches That Literally Leap Off The Pages / 10 Famous Ghost Pictures And Their Story

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.