Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,317 members, 7,957,831 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 09:23 PM

Police Brutalise '96 Olympic Champion Mobi Oparaku In Owerri - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police Brutalise '96 Olympic Champion Mobi Oparaku In Owerri (1305 Views)

Policemen Brutalise NBA Secretary In Osun (pictured) / President Goodluck Commissions International Olympic Stadium In Akwa Ibom / Soldiers Brutalise El-rufai In Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Police Brutalise '96 Olympic Champion Mobi Oparaku In Owerri by GARRIx7(m): 10:57pm On Feb 14, 2013
Police brutalize ’96 Olympic champion, Mobi Oparaku

February 14, 2013 | 8:45 pm

Sports

BY CHIDI NKWOPARA, Owerri

The 1996 Olympic Football Gold Medalist, Mr. Mobi Oparaku, was Thursday afternoon brutalized by about seven armed policemen for yet to be disclosed reasons.

The ugly incident played out at about 1.35pm, near 5 Rotibi Street, Owerri, which houses media organizations in the municipality.

MD Abubakar, Police IG

At the end of the ordeal,Mr. Oparaku had a bleeding mouth, a torn T-shirt and myriad of pains emanating from the serious beating he received from the rampaging policemen led by one Inspector of Police, Mr. Ochiang.

When Vanguard immediately sought an explanation on why his men brutalized Oparaku, the police inspector declined comment and ordered his men to enter the vehicle and left the bleeding footballer to his fate.

Addressing journalists after, the ace football player said he was returning to his ancestral home, Umuonyeche, Owerri, preparatory to visiting his inaws.

“My only contact with the policemen was when the driver of the patrol van asked me if the road was a one way and I replied in the negative. Thereafter, other armed policemen started beating me and even wanted to force me into their patrol van”, Oparaku lamented.

When contact for his comments, the Police Public Relations Officer, PPRO, Mr. Vitalis Onugu, a deputy superintendent of police, appealed to Vanguard to “ask the victim to come to my office immediately”.

www.vanguardngr.com/2013/02/police-brutalize-96-olympic-champion-mobi-oparaku/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

Re: Police Brutalise '96 Olympic Champion Mobi Oparaku In Owerri by GARRIx7(m): 11:43pm On Feb 14, 2013
.... And then we start chanting war songs when other countries treat our citizens like shyte.... undecided undecided

Even in his home state a National hero is‎​ treated like a common criminal, and we expect others to respect us....abi??

SMH!!!

(1) (Reply)

Mr Obafaiye Shem Aka “My Oga At The Top” SACKED From NSCDC! / My Dad Wept On Sick Bed - Governor Fashola / The Anambra Election And Endorsement Of A Candidate With SE's Interests

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.