Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,832 members, 7,813,757 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 05:44 PM

The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. - Culture (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. (83732 Views)

Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language / The Isoko People Of Delta State : Facts & Factlets / What Do You Know About Isoko People Of Delta State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by Isokoboy(m): 10:38am On Aug 11, 2019
isoko wadoo... awome nazino
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by babyfaceafrica: 11:25am On Aug 11, 2019
Isokoboy:
teach me Isoko abeg
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by Isokoboy(m): 7:31pm On Aug 11, 2019
babyfaceafrica:
teach me Isoko abeg

hehe... i reli dont know isoko fully.... but i have an ideal... where do u reside
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by darfay: 7:57pm On Aug 11, 2019
Efewestern:

The Isoko language isn't uniform, it has over 18 dialects and yes Aviara/Uzere is the standard dialect.

Lol

Isoko people from Enwhe and ozoro can communicate with each other and experience over 100% intelligibility. So to that extent the language is uniform to a very large extent with the exception of Erowha which has a distinct dialect

The supposed standard is Aviara not Uzere (both arediff communities) as the Bible and written form are in this dialect only because those who had the initiative of writing our language are from there nothing more

It's high time we recognize okpe and uvwie as separate languages
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by babyfaceafrica: 8:00pm On Aug 11, 2019
Isokoboy:

hehe... i reli dont know isoko fully.... but i have an ideal... where do u reside
Lagos
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by darfay: 8:02pm On Aug 11, 2019
fratermathy:

There's no need arguing what can easily be verified with someone whose disposition is not fertile for learning.

Isoko people, for over 30 years, had their provincial headquarters at Ughelli before the Isoko province was created in 1963 with headquarters at Oleh. When they went to Ughelli, what language do you think they spoke to the Urhobos there?

Think about it. I don't need your response, however pretentiously civil it may be this time.

I guess you are not from ughelli area? The isoko language and urhobo of ughelli area isn't that far apart when it comes to intelligibility... Infact the communities of uweru( I don't think I spelt it right), Evwreni(fomerly isoko).. Speak a variant of isoko language
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by Isokoboy(m): 8:10pm On Aug 11, 2019
babyfaceafrica:
Lagos

if u are free u could come over to oleh or ozoro( semi develop area) close to xmas tym... to learn... u will see mehn willing to teach you just for a bottle of paraga(beer)
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by babyfaceafrica: 8:13pm On Aug 11, 2019
Isokoboy:

if u are free u could come over to oleh or ozoro( semi develop area) close to xmas tym... to learn... u will see mehn willing to teach you just for a bottle of paraga(beer)
are those dialects different?..
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by Isokoboy(m): 8:37pm On Aug 11, 2019
babyfaceafrica:
are those dialects different?..

a little
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by babyfaceafrica: 8:26am On Aug 12, 2019
Isokoboy:

a little
okay..many thanks
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by BarryX(m): 10:23am On Aug 15, 2019
fratermathy:

There's no need arguing what can easily be verified with someone whose disposition is not fertile for learning.

Isoko people, for over 30 years, had their provincial headquarters at Ughelli before the Isoko province was created in 1963 with headquarters at Oleh. When they went to Ughelli, what language do you think they spoke to the Urhobos there?

Think about it. I don't need your response, however pretentiously civil it may be this time.
Even Ughelli once reported to Warri and Benin pre 1950's, Which language do you think they spoke to the Binis or Itsekiri's as the case may be?

I don't get how language at the time automatically translate to some subserviency of some sort between both groups.

It was a widely known fact that the educated ones or (people that has that language dexterity that switches) were the correspondence between communities and the white man. Even my Dad speaks and switch between Agbarho Urhobo and Isoko flawlessly reason being, his interactions with people from both side of the divide.

Easy on this Urhoboidness of yours, please we have moved pass that a long time
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by DoctorYes(m): 7:52pm On Apr 22, 2020
Isokoboy:

Watch out for the okpohrokpo!
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by AreaFada2: 2:43am On Apr 23, 2020
BarryX:

Even Ughelli once reported to Warri and Benin pre 1950's, Which language do you think they spoke to the Binis or Itsekiri's as the case may be?

I don't get how language at the time automatically translate to some subserviency of some sort between both groups.

It was a widely known fact that the educated ones or (people that has that language dexterity that switches) were the correspondence between communities and the white man. Even my Dad speaks and switch between Agbarho Urhobo and Isoko flawlessly reason being, his interactions with people from both side of the divide.

Easy on this Urhoboidness of yours, please we have moved pass that a long time
Dude I think, going it alone, most Edoid languages will decline naturally. There must be a collective effort while maintaining the distinctiveness of each language/dialect.

Increasing urban environment means English and pidgin will keep increasing in use. Fewer grandparents get to see their grandkids often now. We are also increasingly having mixed ethnicity marriages. Where teaching kids two native languages at home become difficult.

I like to listen to Urhobo, Isoko and even Itsekhiri music. It's one way of getting used to the sounds of languages. Chief Sally Young's very clear diction is quite good. So is late Johnson Akpalako's Isoko. I may not be able to learn these languages, but I hear words in Urhobo/Isoko that old people used to say in Benin language 30 years ago. They were in their 80s and above. Oghene, Kokodia and many more were commonly used then. Not anymore now.

Increasingly, languages from same family grow apart over time. Like Old Norse/North Germanic derived languages like Norwegian, Danish & Swedish. Written Norwegian & Danish are very close, but surprising different when spoken/pronounced. Written Norwegian & Swedish are not too close, but pronunciations are quite close. Quite weird how related languages can divert.

I believe these languages have to mutually re-enforce each other. or face massive decline. Even if orthographic reform has to be done to make learning/writing easier.

There needs to be new words added to describe development since the past 30 years in IT/tech/social media, medicine, science, economics, business, etc.

1 Like

Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by Akposy(m): 5:31am On Apr 23, 2020
Interesting!
I need to learn how to speak Isoko and Urhobo
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by Meggie2020: 9:31pm On Oct 05, 2020
Hello all!
Please how does one say "God leads me" in Isoko?
It's quite urgent. Thanks.
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by fratermathy(m): 9:51pm On Oct 05, 2020
Meggie2020:
Hello all!
Please how does one say "God leads me" in Isoko?
It's quite urgent. Thanks.

Oghenesuvwe or Oghenesume

1 Like

Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by Meggie2020: 11:43pm On Oct 15, 2020
fratermathy:

Oghenesuvwe or Oghenesume

Thank you!
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by sylve11: 6:51pm On Aug 15, 2021
Whether Irhi, Olomoro, Ozoro, Envwe, Oyede, Okpe Isokoko etc. I can understand them all well.

I understand Urhobo be it Ughelli, Udu, Agbarho, Okpe etc very well too.

URHOBO/ISOKO WADOOOOO

God bless these tribes so much.

We need unite to be one if it is possible. cool
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by Isokoson1: 6:46am On Aug 16, 2021
Mehn this is beyond local man logistics

Isoko wadooo

Am from isoko north....

Ofagbe

2 Likes

Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by otokx(m): 9:54am On Aug 17, 2021
Interesting
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by GodsMercyLife: 3:07pm On Aug 26, 2021
Please I need someone to interpret Isoko for me please contact me.

Isokoson1:
Mehn this is beyond local man logistics

Isoko wadooo

Am from isoko north....

Ofagbe
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by RedboneSmith(m): 7:01am On Sep 02, 2021
Please, question: Is there any Urhobo or Isoko dialect that calls elephant 'ede' just like the Ishan?

I know it is eni in standard Urhobo, but I just wish to know if it has any other name in other diaects in the area.
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by Bigsunny01(m): 10:09am On Sep 02, 2021
RedboneSmith:
Please, question: Is there any Urhobo or Isoko dialect that calls elephant 'ede' just like the Ishan?

I know it is eni in standard Urhobo, but I just wish to know if it has any other name in other diaects in the area.

We call elephant 'Eni' in Esan not ede
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by RedboneSmith(m): 10:14am On Sep 02, 2021
Bigsunny01:

We call elephant 'Eni' in Esan not ede

Okay. Thanks. I've seen many places where it was listed as 'ede' though.

1 Like

Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by menabae(f): 12:20pm On Feb 09, 2023
This thread then😊😊😊
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by tabithababy(f): 11:14am On Dec 22, 2023
Okay

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (Reply)

Emir Of Kano: His 2 Rolls Royces At The Center Of The Controversy (PHOTOS) / Ritual Rites Held To Welcome Oba Of Lagos And His Staff Of Office / Masquerades At Golibe Festival Onitsha (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.