Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,512 members, 7,819,853 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:21 AM

The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. (83858 Views)

Some Igbo/yoruba Word Used In Urhobo/Isoko Language / The Isoko People Of Delta State : Facts & Factlets / What Do You Know About Isoko People Of Delta State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by olanajim(m): 12:47am On Mar 23, 2008
Ify, do you mind using this medium to teach me the language? I promised myself to learn it and surprise my friend. Can you help?

What does this "wadoo" mean? What is the most courteus way to greet in isoko?

Let start from there. That is the greetings.
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by TheSly: 12:57am On Mar 23, 2008
Sly, me too I no send you o. No wonder you end up for Baghdad. Watch your back, mate.
Right. . . . cool
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by ifyalways(f): 6:44pm On Mar 24, 2008
olanajim:

Ify, do you mind using this medium to teach me the language? I promised myself to learn it and surprise my friend. Can you help?

What does this "wadoo" mean? What is the most courteus way to greet in isoko?

Let start from there. That is the greetings.
lol
Ola, am just like you,i know little infact nothing abt Isoko."wadoo" am sure is for the Urhobos.its a form of greeting like "urhobo wadoo" . . . long live Urhobo land or sumtin undecided
basically their greetings should be "migwo" (Urhobo) or "digwo"(Isoko) the reply is "vre doo" lol my spellings. . .am not sure wink
they too prostrate in greeting.maybe not all undecided
where is ufobabe ? shes an authentic Urhobo babe in da house !
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by olanajim(m): 8:12am On Mar 25, 2008
I get you! Thanks.

Ufo is on easter vacation. And possibly slugging it out with her books. I hope she get here and assume the podium sooner.
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by olanajim(m): 8:12am On Mar 25, 2008
I get you! Thanks.

Ufo is on easter vacation. And possibly slugging it out with her books. I hope she get here and assume the podium sooner.
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by liftedone(f): 11:21pm On Mar 26, 2008
Ifyalways WADOO
Olanajim WADOO
Ice_Zik WADOO
Komekn WADOO
Ishie gwari ooooiiiiii
WADOOO!!!!!!!!!!
Sly, how is Baghdad? cool
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by ifyalways(f): 5:09pm On Mar 27, 2008
LOL
liftedone wadoo too kiss
@Olajinam . . .lol i just remebered this,"onana" meaning "this one " tongue
nigeria wadoo cheesy
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by olanajim(m): 8:24pm On Mar 28, 2008
What of "how are you?"
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by liftedone(f): 9:45pm On Mar 28, 2008
Ify, you are the one teaching Olanajim how to speak Isoko? Unbelievable! Olanajim, I hope you don't break your teeth in the process.
Ice_Zik, where are you, you should be here putting people like Olanajim through his paces. I'm ashamed that an Igbo girl has to come and teach my language to a Yoruba man.

@Komekn, I failed to ask if you are Isoko or Urhobo. You seem to be unhappy about the separations? Don't forget that the reason why many people agitate for their own states and local government areas is because of the marginalisations in our society, where the larger tribes tend to dominate the smaller ones. They believe that having their own local governments would expedite development, not that that has made much difference, though.
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by olanajim(m): 4:38am On Mar 29, 2008
Lol

why don't you take up the challenge?
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by ifyalways(f): 4:03pm On Mar 29, 2008
lmao
abi ooo Ola told them jare grin
the ones i can remember for now are :
water : AME more lie Omi in yoruba
baby: Omo . . . .still same in yoruba
come:Yarhe/Lare/Varhe .

Isoko wadooo ufieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee grin

2 Likes

Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by olanajim(m): 9:55pm On Mar 29, 2008
Why do you always have more than one pronouciation? Which of them is correct?

I am surprised the owners of the language had gone to sleep. No wonder, we have three languages in Nigeria!

Ify,
where did you learn the language? Are you living among them?
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by liftedone(f): 11:19pm On Mar 29, 2008
Ifyalways and Olanajim, here are some words for you.

Nyaze - come
Keria - sit down
Ijo - no
Oghale - blessing ( a common name)
Uyoyo - Love ( also a name)
Izuo - soup
Erice - rice
Ebeansi - beans.
Igarri - garri
Emeri - Fish
Ara - Meat ( also used as an abusive word as in animal)

I'll be back with some more. Isoko wadoo!

Olanajim, you have more than one pronounciation like in any other language. So it's the way you say the word that gives the meaning you want. I know Yorubas have these types of words as well.

2 Likes

Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by ifyalways(f): 7:00pm On Mar 30, 2008
. . .Now we are talking.liftedone don vex grin
Olanajim enjoy.
others:
mego/biko . . . . .pls
Ejiro. . . . . .Praise
pls whats "money " sef?i have forgotten tongue
liftedone have you watched or heard abt the "Urhobo Makossa"?
very lovely song. kiss

Isoko wadooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cheesy
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by liftedone(f): 9:13pm On Mar 30, 2008
Money - ugho.
Urhobo makossa, no. I'll ask one of my brothers.
I'll be coming with more words. Let me go and consult my sister's bible.  wink
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by ifyalways(f): 9:23pm On Mar 30, 2008
thanks dearie.
lol .do ask abt the Makossa.the beats are simply great !
hehe. . . .Bible consultation tongue
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by icezik1(m): 10:51am On Mar 31, 2008
Yeah! This is what I'm talking about.

Keep the words coming in, guys.
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by komekn(m): 11:31am On Mar 31, 2008
Liftdone,

The socio- political divisions instigated in the name of bringing government closer to the people( very skeptical ) but thats what they say. Should not be reason for manipulation to create tribal and ethnic division.

Isoko is not an ethnic tribal group but a socio-political division.

In addition in Isoko and Uhrobo there are different dialects that does not mean they are different tribal ethnic groups.

In isoko we have different dialects, for instance Ehnwe would say Yari instead of Nyaze, and yes my socio-political division is Isoko.

Consider, that the first Bible translation was In Isoko before Uhrobo, and Isoko church music is used to sing mainly even in Uhrobo Churches.

2 Likes

Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by icezik1(m): 11:47am On Mar 31, 2008
@komekn

Where are you getting your information from? I would love to research further.
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by olanajim(m): 3:40pm On Mar 31, 2008
"nyaze" lifedon, ify, "keria" and let have more vocabulary.

With "uyoyo" to you all!

Great? Let see how I won't beat it!
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by olanajim(m): 3:52pm On Mar 31, 2008

With "uyoyo" to you all!

Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by liftedone(f): 9:20pm On Mar 31, 2008
olanajim:

With "uyoyo" to you all!

LOL.

Ify, I'm consulting the Isoko bible for more words.  wink
And that reminds me, another word: Kome - give me. It's usually used as a name like Oghenekome. Oghene - God. Full translation is God gave me or God's gift. Onome ( a name) - this is mine or mine, like Nkem in Igbo.
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by komekn(m): 3:32am On Apr 01, 2008
ice zik,
quite sometime ago i use to live at UNN my Father use to teach there and of course i had access to the university resources and it was at the history deprtament i was able to make those discoveriess in addition to my father and my elderly Uncles in the village.

Lift done, you are right in your translations Oghene-Kome when you have a name like that it reminds you to walk by faith as opposed to understanding as it is God that gives and not man. Just like Abram became Abraham to remind him of the call on his life and it was a long wait 25 years so he needed that name so would not forget. grin
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by ifyalways(f): 10:26am On Apr 01, 2008
wadooo all kiss
the thread is moving grin
liftedone be fast abt it and ask for the "urhobo makossa" .am searching for it too and if i see it,am gonna post it here for all to enjoy. tongue
i love this name"OCHUKO" what does it mean?
heheee now am salivating for fried beans + tinko grin
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by liftedone(f): 10:06pm On Apr 01, 2008
Ify, I never see my brother. he should know these things. Don't worry, I'll keep u posted. And thanks for helping to keep this thread alive. You too, olanajim.
Komekn, you are so lucky to have had access to the history of Isoko and all. I wonder how you could have been interested in that at a young age. I never was, until now that I'm much older. My father was a teacher too, but I read more of African and western literature. Do you speak the language of the 'socio-political division' called Isoko? LOL.
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by komekn(m): 11:37pm On Apr 01, 2008
Liftdone,
The university campus had a learning culture, and i guess having academics as parents as well as my friends and their parents, it just became habit.
If you were curious about something you just went ahead and checked it out.
My Isoko is grammatically deficient, that is to say that I think in English and translate in Isoko so my conversations can be in the wrong sequence. However, I understand proficiently enough but I believe and know my accent is very suspect.
I get tutorials by watching and listening to Abo, Abo, Evang. Kuesiri Sharekurhe and I have an Isoko Bible, Wow!
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by liftedone(f): 11:49pm On Apr 01, 2008
Komekn, you mean you can read the Isoko bible? Gosh, that's the one that really pains me, not being able to read the Isoko bible. I feel kind of robbed. Nonetheless, Isoko wadoo!
Ifyalways, Ochuko, I think is more Urhobo. I have a cousin who is called Othuke, which is the Isoko equivalent. I think it means someone who is a kind of rock or foundation, but I really need to confirm that. It's one of the more complex names that cannot easily be translated. I'm going to the Igbo section to support you now. Igbo kwenu!. Ooops, lights out, the gen is off and this laptop battery is no good. Tomorrow, love. Take care and God bless.
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by ifyalways(f): 1:00pm On Apr 02, 2008
wadooooooooooooooo cool
liftedone thanks.Ochuko. . .Othuke.thanks a million hon.
i also like the name" omonigho" guess it might be urhoboish.it means"a child is the best. . .better than riches" in igbo it wud be "nwakaego" or "nwakaaku". kiss

you guys are great with food too.lol i rememeber those delicacies. . .egusi pepersoup,owo soup,banga +starch wadooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo kiss
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by olanajim(m): 2:09pm On Apr 03, 2008
Wao! So they are also food champions? I hope it has Balanced Diet?

That name in yoruba is "omoniyi". Take note ify.

By the way, do they prostrate when greeting elders? If not, how do they do it?
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by olanajim(m): 2:10pm On Apr 03, 2008

Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by ifyalways(f): 2:17pm On Apr 03, 2008
lol
Olajinam,those ppl infact nigerdelta are food champions.am really priveledged to have known them grin well balanced meals that wud keep you salivating for more.they have a unique way of making meal times a delight. . . .lots of varities too cool Ola ,ever heard of fried beans and tinko? tongue
Yeah,they do prostrate in greeting.they kneel ! i dont know if they lie down like the yorubas undecided
Isoko,Urhobo,Itsekiri wadooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo smiley
Re: The Official Isoko Thread! All Isoko People Should Post Here. by olanajim(m): 2:20pm On Apr 03, 2008

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Ritual Rites Held To Welcome Oba Of Lagos And His Staff Of Office / Masquerades At Golibe Festival Onitsha (Photos) / Lady Agreed Married A Dead Man (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.