Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,753 members, 7,820,595 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:52 PM

Can Nigeria Become A Super Power Without Electricity? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can Nigeria Become A Super Power Without Electricity? (6965 Views)

How Nigeria Can Become Solar Super Power. / 120m Nigerians Without Electricity - FG / Can Nigeria Become A Developed Country? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Nigeria Become A Super Power Without Electricity? by Afam4eva(m): 12:50pm On Feb 27, 2013
I think we should strive to being a "power" first before even thinking of being a "super power". A country that can't provide electricity, good roads, quality education, hospitals wants to be a super power. Another question we have to ask is, super power in what exactly? Is it in Politics, economy, sports, culture etc. I want to assume that the OP is referring to economic power. We can't be an economic super power when we import almost everything we use including human hair. Even without constant electricity, we should be seeing a glimpse of what a super-power Nigeria can be if we produce most things that we use. Unfortunately, the government does not even encourage local production because they have failed to put in place the needed mechanisms for local manufacturers to suceed and power seems to be on top of the needs.

2 Likes

Re: Can Nigeria Become A Super Power Without Electricity? by yinka2011: 12:52pm On Feb 27, 2013
no
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Super Power Without Electricity? by chillykelly86(m): 1:04pm On Feb 27, 2013
ocelot2006:

I'm afraid I disagree with you. How do we get rid of the nuclear waste? And why not go for cleaner forms of energy? We could harness the sun up north by building large solar farms. The nation equally boasts of large natural gas deposits. We could equally use that to power current and future power plants, and adopt new technologies that cut down or eliminate harmful wastes from these plants.

Does the combustion of natural gas pass as a clean form of energy generation?
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Super Power Without Electricity? by manny4life(m): 1:05pm On Feb 27, 2013
IMO, NO

What makes a country a superpower? Politics, economics, military might etc

From economy - Tell me what economy will thrive without electricity? All the infrastructure needed to run smoothly are depended on electricity. Take a group of small business, for them to produce, they need power. In turn after production, the inter modal transportation involved for that good to be distributed uses liquids that need power to come into existence. Without power you cannot refine oil into Fuel or further into Diesel. After that, when it gets to the sellers, it has to be housed n a warehouse, they need functioning electricty to do that. and the cycle continues to the final consume. Now tell me, during this stage, directly or indirectly, electricty has played an important role, is it not important?
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Super Power Without Electricity? by oyeleyemaureen(m): 1:13pm On Feb 27, 2013
never
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Super Power Without Electricity? by maasoap(m): 1:20pm On Feb 27, 2013
The dumbest poster on this thread goes to @Orikinla. He missed the road.
Let's remove POWER from the words SUPER POWER, we'll still back at the same issue of POWER, simple. The first step in becoming a super power is having a stable power supply. While I'm also aware that having a stable power does not automatically translate to becoming a super power.
Nigerian graduates are jobless not because they're not competent but because firms &companies are not enough. One just need to listen to MAN's statistics.
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Super Power Without Electricity? by roxell120(m): 1:26pm On Feb 27, 2013
Oahray: Nigeria is better than Iran? Lmao grin Depends on what you mean sha. If Iran decides to test a nuclear weapon on Nigeria 2moro, shey we can fight back? Mtscheeew... Dreamer!
my brother follow me askooo.this nairaland na house of confusion. I envisage a lot of people typing rubbish from their ancient caves.
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Super Power Without Electricity? by ElCaballa(m): 1:33pm On Feb 27, 2013
Orikinla:

[size=18pt]This is more than the primary school answer you want and as know primary school IQ has not helped majority of Nigerians to even think more than monkeys.
That is why majority of Nigerian graduates are jobless, because of lack of ratiocination.

Nigeria cannot become a super power without electricity. But the lack of regular electricity is not why Nigeria is underdeveloped. The low IQ of majority of Nigerians who are intellectually re-tarded is the major obstacle.

Monkeys will still be monkeys even with all the electricity in the world. And majority of Nigerians reason like monkeys and behave like monkeys, even here on Nairaland. They know how to consume bananas, but they don't know how to grow banana plants.[/size]

oga intellectual as a matter of fact,you sound fustrated.those corpses you are washing in abroad is really affecting you.yes we are monkeys and we are lazy but we ll always be better than people like you.can you tell me one invention or book or idea that is in your name.the way you are sounding,its either you are a fool or you have been away for too long.I OFTEN WONDER WHAT MAKES YOU PEOPLE THINK THAT NIGERIANS YOUTHS ARE LAZY.
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Super Power Without Electricity? by ElCaballa(m): 1:36pm On Feb 27, 2013
Orikinla:

[size=18pt]This is more than the primary school answer you want and as know primary school IQ has not helped majority of Nigerians to even think more than monkeys.
That is why majority of Nigerian graduates are jobless, because of lack of ratiocination.

Nigeria cannot become a super power without electricity. But the lack of regular electricity is not why Nigeria is underdeveloped. The low IQ of majority of Nigerians who are intellectually re-tarded is the major obstacle.

Monkeys will still be monkeys even with all the electricity in the world. And majority of Nigerians reason like monkeys and behave like monkeys, even here on Nairaland. They know how to consume bananas, but they don't know how to grow banana plants.[/size]

oga intellectual as a matter of fact,you sound fustrated.those corpses you are washing in abroad is really affecting you.yes we are monkeys and we are lazy but we ll always be better than people like you.can you tell me one invention or book or idea that is in your name.the way you are sounding,its either you are a fool or you have been away for too long.I OFTEN WONDER WHAT MAKES YOU PEOPLE THINK THAT NIGERIANS YOUTHS ARE LAZY.If you are tired of washing corpse there,you can contact us.we can atleast pay for ur flight ticket back home.Osa Ozu.
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Super Power Without Electricity? by ElCaballa(m): 1:37pm On Feb 27, 2013
Orikinla:

oga intellectual as a matter of fact,you sound fustrated.those corpses you are washing in abroad is really affecting you.yes we are monkeys and we are lazy but we ll always be better than people like you.can you tell me one invention or book or idea that is in your name.the way you are sounding,its either you are a fool or you have been away for too long.I OFTEN WONDER WHAT MAKES YOU PEOPLE THINK THAT NIGERIANS YOUTHS ARE LAZY.If you are tired of washing corpse there,you can contact us.we can atleast pay for ur flight ticket back home.Osa Ozu.
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Super Power Without Electricity? by searay(m): 1:41pm On Feb 27, 2013
Yes. If and only if members of the religion of PISS will give us a chance.
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Super Power Without Electricity? by otumfour(m): 1:46pm On Feb 27, 2013
Oahray: smh. People still do not know how to answer questions. You were not asked if constant electricity would automatically make Nigeria a super power. You were asked if Nigeria CAN become a super power WITHOUT constant electricity. They are two different things.

It's like someone asking you: "Could Usain Bolt have won his olympic medals without legs?" and for an answer, you go on and on about the rest of us that have legs but are not fast runners. Is that what you were asked?

grin grin grin grin
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Super Power Without Electricity? by InvertedHammer: 2:32pm On Feb 27, 2013

"Nigeria" and "Superpower" are two words should not be used in a sentence
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Super Power Without Electricity? by cap28: 2:56pm On Feb 27, 2013
what a dumb question.

definition of superpower:

[b]A superpower is a state with a dominant position in the international system which has the ability to influence events and its own interests and project power on a worldwide scale to protect those interests. A superpower is traditionally considered to be a step higher than a great power.
Alice Lyman Miller (Professor of National Security Affairs at the Naval Postgraduate School), defines a superpower as "a country that has the capacity to project dominating power and influence anywhere in the world, and sometimes, in more than one region of the globe at a time, and so may plausibly attain the status of global hegemony."[2]
It was a term first applied to the British Empire, the Soviet Union and the United States of America in 1944. Following World War II, as the British Empire transformed itself into the Commonwealth and its territories became independent, the Soviet Union and the United States generally came to be regarded as the only two superpowers, and confronted each other in the Cold War.
After the Cold War, only the United States appeared to fulfill the criteria to be considered a world superpower.[1] The term "second superpower" has been applied by scholars to the possibility that the People's Republic of China could soon emerge as a superpower on par with the United States.[3][4][5][6] Brazil, the European Union, and India are also thought to have the potential of achieving superpower status within the 21st century.[7] A few heads of states,[8][9] politicians[10] and news analysts[11] claim that Russia may have already reclaimed that status.[12][13][14][15]
Some people doubt the existence of superpowers in the post Cold War era altogether, stating that today's complex global marketplace and the rising interdependency between the world's nations has made the concept of a superpower an idea of the past and that the world is now multipolar.[16][17][18][19][/b]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superpower
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Super Power Without Electricity? by creativemusic: 3:05pm On Feb 27, 2013
angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Super Power Without Electricity? by 2jideofor(m): 3:27pm On Feb 27, 2013
Oahray: smh. People still do not know how to answer questions. You were not asked if constant electricity would automatically make Nigeria a super power. You were asked if Nigeria CAN become a super power WITHOUT constant electricity. They are two different things.

It's like someone asking you: "Could Usain Bolt have won his olympic medals without legs?" and for an answer, you go on and on about the rest of us that have legs but are not fast runners. Is that what you were asked?
Where in the OP was it stated that your answer,reply or response should be very brief.

This is not an essay or an exam where you are restricted to a certain the number of words. Therefore, the length of his answer is not important. Hence,he is more convincing, explanatory and shows a different perspective of the lots.

Fact is, HE IS RIGHT! But I trust Nigerians. We are hard working people; looking at what we have done without constant power supply, how much more if it were available...
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Super Power Without Electricity? by Nobody: 3:39pm On Feb 27, 2013
Question:

CAN YOU DRIVE A CAR WITHOUT PETROL? wink
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Super Power Without Electricity? by igbeke: 4:00pm On Feb 27, 2013
Oahray: At least you answered the question this time. Every other point though not unimportant, is just an addition. Nigeria needs more than just constant electricity, but it is a good first step all the same.

PS: I find it very rude and insulting of you to liken Nigerians to monkeys. Can you not make a good point without insults? Smh again.
pls tell him.
we dont hav human-monkeys in nig.
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Super Power Without Electricity? by Oahray: 4:44pm On Feb 27, 2013
2jideofor: Where in the OP was it stated that your answer,reply or response should be very brief.

This is not an essay or an exam where you are restricted to a certain the number of words. Therefore, the length of his answer is not important. Hence,he is more convincing, explanatory and shows a different perspective of the lots.

Fact is, HE IS RIGHT! But I trust Nigerians. We are hard working people; looking at what we have done without constant power supply, how much more if it were available...
where in my post did you see the slightest hint at the length of his post? Na wa for people sha.

Answering questions well is not about brevity, it's about giving answers to the exact question. Unless he is a Nigerian politician, I see no reason why he would answer a question he was not asked while ignoring the one he was asked.

If his style makes sense to you, you are free to copy and give out-of-point answers to direct questions. Your choice bro.

1 Like

Re: Can Nigeria Become A Super Power Without Electricity? by scarred: 4:46pm On Feb 27, 2013
tim107: It is clear that without electricity there can be no industrial development and all those grand visions of becoming one of the world's leading economies by 2020 cannot be relaised.

Is that the only bench mark...
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Super Power Without Electricity? by Oahray: 4:47pm On Feb 27, 2013
koastar:
You impressed me again the second time. Had it been you were close here you would have owed me a lunch I would have owed you a lunch cheesy wink
hehehe grin you can still get me an e-bottle of beer grin
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Super Power Without Electricity? by scarred: 4:49pm On Feb 27, 2013
We need to decide for ourselves what we want to be, as opposed to measuring up to the standards of others in an already rigged game. If we let others dictate what it means to be a 'power', then we will NEVER measure up, because I contend that it is not in the interest of the west that we achieve our potential. What we need to decide (for ourselves) is what we want to be, this notion of being a 'power', is actually a distraction from the larger questions that we need to be asking.
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Super Power Without Electricity? by Duru1(m): 5:00pm On Feb 27, 2013
@OP

The answer to thread’s question is no in capital letters. Nigeria can not become country talk less a nation without solid source of energy. Even with abundant source of energy, it takes quality human beings to organize it. It is beyond the pale of human imagination to fathom why a person with well organized social order will term Nigeria a country.
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Super Power Without Electricity? by Nobody: 5:03pm On Feb 27, 2013
Orikinla: [size=18pt]Regular supply of electricity does not translate into modernity as even many countries with regular power supply are still backward and underdeveloped in Africa.
I have been to a place with regular electric power supply in Nigeria, but the place is like Ajegunle in Lagos.
The community has an ultra modern library, but the people hardly go there.
They have enough jobs, but they are still intellectually retarded and depending more on their salaries instead of being creative and productive.
Even if you give morons regular electricity, that cannot transform them in super humans until they have the brains on how to use that regular power supply for development of modern technology and intellectual society.
Creativity in Arts and Sciences is the only way to develop into super power and not when the greatest ambition of majority of Nigerians is to earn a seven digit salary that does not make anyone a great achiever.
Super powers are made by the creativity and productivity of authors, innovators and inventors and not by salary earners.
Nigeria must invest in startups in the creative and manufacturing industries.

What makes a super power?
No regular power supply, but the leadership of the intelligentsia in the corridors of power and the promotion of meritocracy in democracy and not the leadership of political contractors and opportunists rigging elections to usurp power and plunder the nation like the present situation in Nigeria.
[/size]

End of story!

1 Like

Re: Can Nigeria Become A Super Power Without Electricity? by AustinG1(m): 5:06pm On Feb 27, 2013
We are Super-Power in the spirit world, them wan try us??
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Super Power Without Electricity? by Nobody: 5:15pm On Feb 27, 2013
Oahray: hehehe grin you can still get me an e-bottle of beer grin

Tortie, this ppl never know say u know book oº°˚, as in correct guru! See as dem de shock for ya intelligent responses undecided
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Super Power Without Electricity? by Oahray: 5:39pm On Feb 27, 2013
tchidi:

Tortie, this ppl never know say u know book oº°˚, as in correct guru! See as dem de shock for ya intelligent responses undecided
Hahaha... As in eh... Me sef shock for my responses too o. It must be that time of the year when I manage to make small sense online grin
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Super Power Without Electricity? by Oahray: 5:39pm On Feb 27, 2013
Sometimes I imagine: Can we really have constant electricity in Nigeria? lipsrsealed

I suspect if that happens, some of us would struggle so much to adapt to the constant electricity that we would have to relocate to Cameroon and other nearby countries for the sake of our sanity. grin

1 Like

Re: Can Nigeria Become A Super Power Without Electricity? by Fussbot: 5:55pm On Feb 27, 2013
Orikinla:

Re: Can Nigeria Become A Super Power Without Electricity? by Fussbot: 5:57pm On Feb 27, 2013
Orikinla:

watin u dey talk bros??i got confused as the guy when i also read ur post...and incase u didn't notice,ur post got 10likes while his own got 11likes..and am even sure that most of the people that liked ur status didn't undstand ur post,they jst liked the way u presented it....4 crying out loud,how is ur post(1st) related 2 wat the op is asking?and i will suspend ur insults till another day(calling people monkeys)..
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Super Power Without Electricity? by AmeboAjela(f): 6:16pm On Feb 27, 2013
tim107: It is clear that without electricity there can be no industrial development and all those grand visions of becoming one of the world's leading economies by 2020 cannot be relaised.

Dont worry after voting for them in 2015 PDP will do their Abracada Maigic and clone electricity from the Moon and Boom! Y,all have electricity grin grin
Re: Can Nigeria Become A Super Power Without Electricity? by Loskee(f): 6:17pm On Feb 27, 2013
DEAR SEUN, PLEASE CAN I ASK ONE PERTINENT QUESTION...?
WHERE IN THE WORLD IS THE AVID NAIRALANDER CALLED

[size=30pt]BEAF[/size]

I REALLY MISS HIS THOUGHT-PROVOKING POSTS AND TOPICS ON NAIRALAND
THANKS

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Buhari Should Beg Ngozi Okonjo Iweala . / I Am Sorry To Mazi Kanu. / A Brave Man went straight to Aso Rock;Checkout what he did when he was stopped

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.