Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,042 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:40 AM

Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos - Islam for Muslims (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos (25778 Views)

China Bans Ramadan For Muslim Students / Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools / Muslim Students`society Of Nigeria Presents Mini -ivc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by naptu2: 10:44am On Mar 01, 2013
tayoccu:
You do know that the the dress code is in the law?

Please cite it (bear in mind the what section 1 of the constitution says).
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by deols(f): 10:50am On Mar 01, 2013
JaaizTech:

You misinterpreted my argument?? The point I was making is that If Non-Muslims are not forced to wear the Hijab in Kano, then Muslims sholudn't be forced not to wear the Hijab in lagos or even Enugu, Anambra etc for that matter.

I got you perfectly well. I am only saying that if they are not forced to abide by Islamic rulings in a predominantly Muslim area, why should Muslims be denied their rights in a place that is their own.

1 Like

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by deols(f): 10:51am On Mar 01, 2013
tayoccu:
M'am we all agree that the schools are govt funded, but its the same govt that gave the schools dress codes, and the last time I checked, the hijab wasn't on the list of permitted gear,Berets are allowed instead.
Soon the guys will be agitating to wear turbans to school.

If hijab wasnt permitted what stops the changing of the law to make it permitted?

and the law even permits it
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by tayoccu(m): 10:58am On Mar 01, 2013
deols:

If hijab wasnt permitted what stops the changing of the law to make it permitted?

and the law even permits it
If the law is changed, every religious group will want the laws altered to permit their stuff too, and believe me quite a number of those changes will be hard for you to stomach.

1 Like

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by tayoccu(m): 10:59am On Mar 01, 2013
naptu2:

Please cite it (bear in mind the what section 1 of the constitution says).
Will look it up and get back to you.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by olawalebabs(m): 11:01am On Mar 01, 2013
Once the way I dress did not affect you (social and religion believe), why should it be ban. How does putting on hijab affects other people studying?

2 Likes

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by aurenflani: 11:36am On Mar 01, 2013
Mr McJay: OK. Why did they not protest when some xtian profs were shot in UNIMAID?
If they want veils, there are now schools for almajiris, they should pick up the forms.

BTW, why is this on the frontpage?

The problem with christians is that instead of adhering to their bible teaching they are encouraged to listen only to their selfish pastors whose interest is what is in the purse of th gullible followers. Their bible prescribed wearing of hijab but the pastors only believe in tithes. Paul is telling them that their women must wear hijab - cover their hairs and whoever does not cover her hair must be shaved but Christians don't believe in all these. They are not followers of the bible but pastors.

1 Like

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by daylae(m): 11:44am On Mar 01, 2013
naptu2:

Please can you tell me what makes Nigeria a secular state? Is it written in any law or any section of the constitution? If it is, can you cite that law for me?

Section 10 of the 1999 constitution.

Oga,secularism in this context does not mean nigeria don't recorgnize religion. Secularism is commonly regarded as an ideology that holds that religious issues should not be the basis of Politics, or (in the extreme) that religion has no place in public life. Essentially, secularism seeks to preserve the religious neutrality of government and cultures.

Nigeria is a country with multiple religion. The only way the government can please all is to please none concerning the issue of religion when it comes to implementing state policies.

So the question is – how is it relevant in this case:

The issue of education is under the scope of state policy,and there are rules and regulations concerning uniforms students wears. Religion shouldn't be an excuse to compromise such rules and regulations.

2 Likes

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by aurenflani: 11:47am On Mar 01, 2013
eabf: go nd sleep u don't av wat to say.

I make it that you're a Christian. But in the new testament, Paul told your women to cover their hair but why does your mothers, pastor's wife and women pastors reject this instruction and even fight others over it? Can you tell us why?
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by daylae(m): 11:48am On Mar 01, 2013
Maple:

Keep deceiving urself, bro. grin

well. . .keep hallucinating,bro.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by seyi42k(m): 12:49pm On Mar 01, 2013
aurenflani:

I make it that you're a Christian. But in the new testament, Paul told your women to cover their hair but why does your mothers, pastor's wife and women pastors reject this instruction and even fight others over it? Can you tell us why?

It also says a woman has hair as a covering for her head. Therefore, if you are blessed with a lot of hair, covering your HEAD is not necessary. However, like everything human, we tend to interpret things in our own ways and that is why there is no hard and fast rule about it. If you like, cover the hair, if you don't like don't cover.

This is why Christianity lends itself to liberalism of faith, i.e. you and God.

3 Likes

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Chynx(m): 2:29pm On Mar 01, 2013
Saladin1: [color=#000099][/color]
Yes because our identity as muslim is been denied. Hijab is not a fashion statement but a religious duty of female muslim. Christians in this country should learn to accept us for who we are rather than enforcing their values and dress code on us.
Nobody is enforcing jack on u! Rather, u guys are the ones doing exactly that! Western education is supposed to be bad for u guys...then what the hell are u guys going to school for? There are more than enough cows to milk!!!

1 Like

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by seyenko(m): 3:07pm On Mar 01, 2013
Wish they protest on Boko Haram insurgency

2 Likes

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by oba2flex(m): 4:15pm On Mar 01, 2013
buJu-234:
why is islam always in the news either 4 fight; war or protest. whyyy
Because others always dip their fingers into their eyes.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Nobody: 4:34pm On Mar 01, 2013
Why can't they protest about the fact that boko haram and al queda have destroyed the meaning of Islam.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Nobody: 4:42pm On Mar 01, 2013
N_girl: Why can't they protest about the fact that boko haram and al queda have destroyed the meaning of Islam.
*as usual they will avoid this kind of question* to big for their small brains
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by dohiswill: 5:05pm On Mar 01, 2013
No average muslim will condem al qaeda book haram, and other terrorist groups they love all what this devils are doing
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by fxx2: 6:24pm On Mar 01, 2013
ola_pluto: First pix...a typical secondary school in UK...
Second pix: a Jewish kid in primary school
Then read this interesting article: http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/common-sense-and-respect-for-children-in-hijabs-please-8437433.html

True. They look beautiful and adorabe. And you talk of UK or anywhere. Here we are talking of uniform as approved by the concerned authority. If that is what the authority agree, fine. Even the PTA can reach an aggreement, but anything short of the approved code is a breach of the law. No true worshiper of God will break the law.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by mbhs139(m): 8:17pm On Mar 01, 2013
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Nobody: 1:33am On Mar 02, 2013
olawalebabs: Once the way I dress did not affect you (social and religion believe), why should it be ban. How does putting on hijab affects other people studying?

good point.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by teniyi(m): 5:17am On Mar 02, 2013
Movingcoil: by ur last statement, don't run away or ur mods start banning people wen d dust u ar raising starts choking u, u know u'l feel u ar wise withouy knowing how stupid u are

You can commit suicide if the truth choke you and yours won't be the first.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Nobody: 6:06am On Mar 02, 2013
JaaizTech:

I have a question for you, would you consider it right and fair if : Your Daughter was compelled to wear the Hijab in a Government School in Kano, simply because you happen to live in that part of the country
the Jehovah I serve won't allow me to find myself in a muslim infested region and when I do, my family can never stay with me cos I know am right on top of a lit dynamite waiting to explode, so amma stay der alone and will only visit my family at the east at intervals. So the idea of wearing hijab is off d question but if 2 say dat u muslims aren't poisionous, since i prayed d catholic chaplet wid full faith, am even going to force my daughter to learn the koran cos no knowledge is a waste
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by k4kenny(f): 11:12am On Mar 02, 2013
All of you saying uniform this, uniform that, have you been to some federal government colleges where muslim students are allowed to wear hijab in school colours, in some cases, the school badge is attached to the hijab. Wearing the hijab cannot disrupt the school's uniformity as long as its properly done.
Nigeria is a multi religious nation, each should be allowed to practice their religion without prejudice.

My two cents
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by siddiq202(m): 7:59pm On Mar 02, 2013

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by probsolver: 6:33pm On Mar 05, 2013
The Lagos State House of assembly, on Monday, set up a four-man ad-hoc committee to investigate the alleged victimisation of Aisha Alabi, a JSS 1 student of Kadara Junior Grammar School, Ebute-Metta by her principal, Mrs E.C Ukpaka, over hijab.

Speaker, Adeyemi Ikuforiji announced the setting up of the committee after the house discussed the petition forwarded on the issue by the Muslim Students’ Society of Nigeria (MSSN) Lagos State Area Unit during plenary.

It would be recalled that the Muslim Students’ Society of Nigeria (MSSN) Lagos State Area Unit had raised the alarm over the issue and also staged a peaceful protest to Governor Babatunde Fashola’s office in Alausa on Thursday February, 28, 2013.

During the debate, the Chief Whip of the House, Hon. Dr. Abdurrazaq amongst other Members of the House, however, pleaded caution over the issue saying that both sides of the story should be heard.

‘We have lived harmoniously for so many years, despite our religious differences, let’s not make judgement before investigating,’ Balogun said.

However, Speaker, Ikuforiji said that nobody should discriminate against anybody on the basis of religion, saying that it’s a matter that cannot be tolerated in Lagos State.

The ad-hoc Committee, which comprises Hon. Abdurrazaq Balogun, Hon. Adebimpe Akinsola, Hon. Alawiye-King and Hon. Rufai Adeyemi has one week to report back to the house.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by pmc01(m): 1:13am On Apr 10, 2013
Why are the catholic students not banned from wearing their rosary to school?
#Hypocrites!
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by bukatyne(f): 9:57am On Apr 10, 2013
pmc01: Why are the catholic students not banned from wearing their rosary to school?
#Hypocrites!

Which secondary school doesn't ban rosary if it's worn on the uniform?

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Sexual Intercourse With Menstruating Women Is Prohibited / Social Distancing During Hajj Pilgrimage. Number Reduced From 2 Million To 1,000 / Fashion Thread For Muslim Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.