Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,043 members, 7,814,560 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:06 PM

Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos - Islam for Muslims (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos (25751 Views)

China Bans Ramadan For Muslim Students / Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools / Muslim Students`society Of Nigeria Presents Mini -ivc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by SOUTHSOUTH1: 9:46pm On Feb 28, 2013
I want to believe that the name UNI-FORM explains itself..
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by naptu2: 9:46pm On Feb 28, 2013
Okija_juju:

highlight what part of this provision allows a student to wear a hijab to school.

Wow! This is the third time I'm posting this on this thread.

naptu2: I pray pyguru doesn't ban me.

Section 10 of the constitution of Nigeria 1999 prevents the government from declaring a state religion. But it doesn't make Nigeria a secular state (that notion is gotten from the american constitution).

As the supreme court justice said, "Nigeria is a multi-religious state, not a secular state".

2) Section 38 (fundamental rights) gives citizens the right "to manifest and propagate his religion or belief in worship, teaching, practice and observance." The girls are manifestly observing their religion by wearing the hijab.

3) Section 42 prevents discrimination on the grounds of sex, religion, etc. You cannot allow some people to observe their religious injunctions and prevent others (subject to natural justice of course).

Although all we are doing is academic because Justice Joseph Olubunmi Oyewole has ruled and that's the law today.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by seunajia: 9:48pm On Feb 28, 2013
Okija_juju:

What are you trying to say exactly!?

This has nothing to do with intolerance. That constitutional provision is subject to interpretation. I just quoted the exact provision upon which the ruling was given, can you point out where it says a hijab can be worn to class in a public school?!

I am here for a constructive debate not some random hogwash sentimental bullshit.

If you wanna have a debate, then I game... Stop with your shenanigans.

Young man, I have been to work since morning, so I am not disposed to any long winding back and forthes which are characteristically your forte. This is it, as clear as day:

Are you a lawyer? Are you a judge? Are you a judicial worker? Are you a legislator?

If you are not any of the above, then kindly let us hear word. The experts in law have interpreted the law. It is your right as a Nigerian to challenge the constitution/court judgments if you don't like it. Anything else is irrelevant.

Please embarrass the illiterates with your reply. Thanks in advance.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Loskee(f): 9:50pm On Feb 28, 2013
Okija_juju:

[b]ARGH!!!! Bros!! What kind of arguement is this one na?!

I agree that uniformity in school Unifroms in Nigeria is rather hard to come by especially because 95% od schools dont necessarily have a steady source of getting these uniforms, however! These variance are not a function of a large alteration like adding a Hijab or a Headscarf, they are simple variance in shades & tint of the colors, fitness and such.

I put it to you that NO SCHOOL where berets are a part of their uniform will tolorate students altering their berets for bandanas and scarfs!! ALSO!! Saying that Berets are a Christian religous head wear makes you sound like a really desparate liar! The Nigerian Army, Navy, Airforce & Police all wear berets as well, I guess its a Christian religous addition to their Uniforms as well abi?! Or Is the Nigerian Armed forces a Christian religous outfit?! Bros take am easy dey lie for here.. NAIRALANDERS ARE NOT IIDIOTS.

Wearing a Hijad is not a part of a uniform for Public schools. #Period!

[/b]

seconded, thirded, fourthed and fifthed!!! grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Nobody: 9:51pm On Feb 28, 2013
prairie: Lol! U say opening heads as if we open our private parts our heads are not our private parts and our faces are our identities so sorry we dont have to cover them, i dont support fortythree strokes but for christsakes there is a dress code and muslim schools abound!
so what if the dress code says every female must be wearing Hijab in sec school... How would Christian feel after all its a uniform too... And everybody must abide by it.... Let's be objective when we speak

1 Like

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by OCcool: 10:01pm On Feb 28, 2013
kehinde1588: See dis xtians o! We muslims follow wat islam teach us and we practice it wherever we are. How can a girl b beaten 4 practising her religion.hoooo wat a wicked soul! Am proud 2 b a muslim cos we make d world kwn dat we dnt tolerate nonsense. We speak out and nt like u pple dat kip silent waitin 4 jesus to speak on ur behave. Bounch of illuminalties calling dem selves..... We are muslims and nt terrorist.
U just made me laugh. U know what u wrote was a big joke right?
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by OCcool: 10:03pm On Feb 28, 2013
muib:
so what if the dress code says every female must be wearing Hijab in sec school... How would Christian feel after all its a uniform too... And everybody must abide by it.... Let's be objective when we speak
ur post makes no sense at all
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by bestman09(m): 10:15pm On Feb 28, 2013
For Lagos?
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by jadakiss213(m): 10:17pm On Feb 28, 2013
muib:
Ur post doesnt make any sense..i suggest u get some sleep.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by gudugudumeje: 10:21pm On Feb 28, 2013
Too Much Ado About Nothing...... School is no religious place to placate religious sentiment; take it or, leave it. It is no place to vent beliefs or, force them on others. It is simply a place to learn mutual tolerance, respect ad earn mutual confidence in return. Or else, the socialization factor is lost too earlier in the children.......
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by mrdino(m): 10:22pm On Feb 28, 2013
buJu-234:
why is islam always in the news either 4 fight; war or protest. whyyy

so much 4 their religion of peace!
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Okijajuju1(m): 10:22pm On Feb 28, 2013
naptu2:

Wow! This is the third time I'm posting this on this thread.

Seen...

Going by this provision and the interpretation thereof, we can then say that uniforms should be thrown out the window in all aspects of our society... Example: In the Nigerian Army, should a Deeper Lifer join, they are free to replace the military standard issue pants (trousers) with skirts which is what is acceptable according to their religious beliefs and in other words can refuse to be forced to wear one in accordance with their religious beliefs and they also can't be ejected from the army as well because that would be discrimination.. RIGHT!?

Which can also apply to Christian students wearing whatsoever they like to school as long as they can find a religious context to back it up.

Does that also make it okay for a Celestial Church member to wear white garments to school? Or for an Olumba member to go to school without shoes?

This portion of the constitution like I said is subject to interpretation and can only lead to total chaos.

1 Like

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by jamst(m): 10:32pm On Feb 28, 2013
dederocs:
your fada...thunder fire ur head there.

dederecooo or wateva u call urself,wat save u,is the internet cos i 4 don scatta ur face...my eyez ar on u 4rm nw in dis forum...watchout
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by deluckiest(m): 10:34pm On Feb 28, 2013
abdulkayus: d muslims girls hav d right to wear their hijabs anywhere dey are. So u ppl xpect dem to be openin their heads like u ppl abi.
Hypocrites.

Since you are advocating hijab for ur muslim sisters in public schools hope you won't take offense if the herbalist students and christian students start their own dress code to promote their religion?
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by naptu2: 10:40pm On Feb 28, 2013
Okija_juju:

Seen...

Going by this provision and the interpretation thereof, we can then say that uniforms should be thrown out the window in all aspects of our society... Example: In the Nigerian Army, should a Deeper Lifer join, they are free to replace the military standard issue pants (trousers) with skirts which is what is acceptable according to their religious beliefs and in other words can refuse to be forced to wear one in accordance with their religious beliefs and they also can't be ejected from the army as well because that would be discrimination.. RIGHT!?

Which can also apply to Christian students wearing whatsoever they like to school as long as they can find a religious context to back it up.

Does that also make it okay for a Celestial Church member to wear white garments to school? Or for an Olumba member to go to school without shoes?

This portion of the constitution like I said is subject to interpretation and can only lead to total chaos.

Beautiful! So now I'm going to repeat what I said earlier and add a little flesh to it.

1) All sections of the constitution are subject to interpretation (that's what the judiciary is for) and there are even rules for interpretation (Ejusdem generis, etc). There have been court cases over two-thirds of 19 states and definition of "continental shelf of a state".

2) One of my greatest hopes in 1999 was that we would start testing the provisions in our statute books. That's one of the reasons I really liked Gani Fawehinmi. He was ever ready to go to court to test the law and defend his rights.

So to your example, (firstly, remember that the person must have a religious obligation to wear that attire), if a woman in the army is religiously obliged to wear skirts and that right is denied her, I would vigorously encourage her to head to the courts to enforce her rights.

While we are on this topic, research the situation in Great Britain with regards to sikhs and their turbans
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Fatduke: 10:41pm On Feb 28, 2013
I wonder why people think anti-clock-wise. Learn to reason properly before U speak in an utterly unacceptable way. U call it UNIFORM and U feel people should wear what their religion prescribes. If U know and feel U can't stay in Conformity with what is acceptable in an organisation, just stay away. This protest is way below the reasoning of a forward thinker. Put aside religion and act in the generally acceptable codes for any Organisation... Schools are social organisations that should maintain dignity and purnish all forms of disobedience irrespective of who is involved. Hijab should be reserved for after-school Hours.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by InHim4Him(m): 10:43pm On Feb 28, 2013
The Nigerian Constitution is been misused in arguments here. It's nothing short of unnecessary distractions. Why can't adherents of the Sango religion wear their charms on their military and police uniforms, or do they not have PERSONAL FREEDOMS? If every nigerian, in the name of PERSONAL FREEDOM comes to public places according to personal inclinations and disposition, what kind of society will we end up having? If Lagos state is 99.99% muslims, what is expected of the minority or what are such statistics insinuating? Adherents of Islam are chronic rebels against order, discipline and common sense all in the name of religion. Or what do you think is responsible for the backwardness of the north. Truth be told: LAGOS STATE IS AT THE VERGE OF DESTRUCTION on the altar of RELIGION. Mark my words.

1 Like

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by naptu2: 10:48pm On Feb 28, 2013
Aha! The situation in Britain with regards to sikhs and their turbans (school, motorcycle helmet, construction sites, etc). This is a tip of the iceberg.

http://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Turban,_UK_Legislation_Regarding_its_use_by_Sikhs
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by jkross(m): 10:51pm On Feb 28, 2013
As a native doctor pikin,can I wear chicken feather and rob white chalk on my face..cos of my believe?
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by prairie(f): 10:51pm On Feb 28, 2013
Yawns.............so much ado over nothing, do not mix state matters with religion, the christians here should show decorum, and for those telling us to fight for Jesus and kill for him, sorry we are not God and so cannnot fight for him, he knows best and all we can do for him is do his will and not to kill supposedly for him, and for those calling us illuminaties may the veils fall of your eyes so that u may see. Dominus vobiscum
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by naptu2: 10:56pm On Feb 28, 2013
prairie: Yawns.............so much ado over nothing, do not mix state matters with religion, the christians here should show decorum, and for those telling us to fight for Jesus and kill for him, sorry we are not God and so cannnot fight for him, he knows best and all we can do for him is do his will and not to kill supposedly for him, and for those calling us illuminaties may the veils fall of your eyes so that u may see. Dominus vobiscum

Et cuum spiritu tuo
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Okijajuju1(m): 10:59pm On Feb 28, 2013
InHim4Him: The Nigerian Constitution is been misused in arguments here. It's nothing short of unnecessary distractions. Why can't adherents of the Sango religion wear their charms on their military and police uniforms, or do they not have PERSONAL FREEDOMS? If every nigerian, in the name of PERSONAL FREEDOM comes to public places according to personal inclinations and disposition, what kind of society will we end up having? If Lagos state is 99.99% muslims, what is expected of the minority or what are such statistics insinuating? Adherents of Islam are chronic rebels against order, discipline and common sense all in the name of religion. Or what do you think is responsible for the backwardness of the north. Truth be told: LAGOS STATE IS AT THE VERGE OF DESTRUCTION on the altar of RELIGION. Mark my words.

My point exactly...
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by deluckiest(m): 10:59pm On Feb 28, 2013
naptu2:

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?46139-Nigerian-Muslims-Welcome-Court-Ruling-on-Hijab

That's a muslim view point. I can only take your post serious if an independent news confirm your story.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by deluckiest(m): 11:04pm On Feb 28, 2013
jkross: As a native doctor pikin,can I wear chicken feather and rob white chalk on my face..cos of my believe?

ask naptu2, he has the answer you seek.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by naptu2: 11:11pm On Feb 28, 2013
deluckiest:

That's a muslim view point. I can only take your post serious if an independent news confirm your story.

Check the post before that (from P.M News/AllAfrica.) or check the Nigerian Weekly Law Reports.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Sissie(f): 11:12pm On Feb 28, 2013
This thread is so funny, its obvious how people think everything is a sentiment when it comes to Muslims, 1. Hijab is not optional for grown up Muslim females, evn thou we don't all adhere to it. It's compulsory,nt a piece of accessory. This isn't d particular to Muslims alone, d pope won't come out in plain jns and trouser, neither will a monk.
2. Saying school is no place for religion, and people shouldn't go to govt sec sch, if they dnt want to conform wit d no wearing of hijab, holds no meanin. Govt schools is d cheapest school in Nigeria and its for all its citizen.
3. People have rights under d constitution, cos u dnt agree doesn't make you right.
Saying its uniform, and ppl shuld respect it, cos its uniform does it mean everyone wears d same length of skirt or top irrespective of their heights n weight, or do they all wear the same sandals n socks, for uniformity. What's uniform. And yes if the herbalist has a dress code compulsory, n we all knw its compulsory den he is allowed to wear it.
U ppl shout uniform, tell me Wats d essence of uniform, how many govt skool in places Lik US dat wear it.
Wat if he was a Sikh and wants to wear d turban, or a Jew and wants to wear d cap, will u all shout uniform.
Does wearin a uniform means u lose ur own identity?
U ppl shuld stp referin to d hijab as a piece of ornament/accessory/adornment, its not its a piece of dressing.
I will rather standout than fit in.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by naptu2: 11:17pm On Feb 28, 2013
I have to admit, I'm afraid of the anti-spam bot, but I'm considering posting links that show that sikhs in the UK are exempted from wearing motorcycle crash helmets, helmets at construction sites (in fact, you cannot refuse to employ a sikh on the grounds that he won't wear a hard hat) and also have exemptions in school because of their religious beliefs which obliges them to wear a turban.

This is not just a Nigerian or muslim issue.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by bolatike(f): 11:29pm On Feb 28, 2013
Dey are thousands of arabic skools out there why not try there than disturb pupils who are ready to learn
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by jamst(m): 11:29pm On Feb 28, 2013
YoungSalute: Living in bondage .. You called it peace ? Well, for your information muslim people...
God has plan to destroy you people very soon. I mean soon. Always creating problems and using some laws to back it. The Saudi you copy take things cool, islam started there. Imagine, secondary school students' asking government to sack someone old to be their grandmother at home.

make ur move & get wat u deserve...he-goat
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by naptu2: 11:35pm On Feb 28, 2013
There is a similar case in Britain. In 1982 a headmaster refused to allow a boy into the school because the boy wore a sikh turban (all baptised male sikhs are obliged to wear a turban).

The boy's father sued. They lost the case at the appeal court, because the court ruled that although the law made it illegal to discriminate against races/ethnic groups, it didn't say anything about religious and political groups.

They won the case at the House of Lords (the UK's highest court) which ruled that sikhs are an ethno-religious group and it is illegal to discriminate against them.

The case is cited as Mandla v Dowell-Lee (1982).
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Lebee4(m): 11:41pm On Feb 28, 2013
siddiq202: For those that are unaware, this is one of the reasons that led to the protest

12year-old given 43 strokes of cane over hijab

https://www.nairaland.com/1204244/12-year-old-caned-wearing-hijab-out
am sure every School have its own dos and don't.
A teacher can't just give 43 strokes without warning the girl.
They can all change to schools that allowed hijab

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Sexual Intercourse With Menstruating Women Is Prohibited / Fashion Thread For Muslim Women / Social Distancing During Hajj Pilgrimage. Number Reduced From 2 Million To 1,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.