Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,613 members, 7,809,245 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:35 AM

Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos - Islam for Muslims (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos (25733 Views)

China Bans Ramadan For Muslim Students / Muslim Students Reject Hijab Ban In Lagos Public Schools / Muslim Students`society Of Nigeria Presents Mini -ivc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Eneze1(f): 4:06pm On Feb 28, 2013
abdulkayus:

so, dey shld nt protest wen their rights is being trample on?
Hypocrite

what rights, you can make your points without calling people names
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by nikejoy: 4:07pm On Feb 28, 2013
gramci:

Is this not what Muttallab shouted when he was about blowing up a plane in US?see d way you think,its obvious dat some ppl dnt knw thier right anymore or having fear to die,nigeria problem.bt think b4 u talk next tym.or are u a leanner.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by aryzgreat: 4:07pm On Feb 28, 2013
abdulkayus:

ehen abi, so d principal nw hav right to trample on d right of some citizens cos of some religion different. I knw if its a muslim principal that say maybe d xtains student shld stop wearin cruxifixes to school, many of u here will be cryin fowl.
Hypocrites.

Dont say wot u dont know! as a catholic, during my sec school days i was suspended for wearing a crucifix which most catholics wear to school. This happend in a christian state. do u know wot is called uniform? if ur muslim sisters cant obey school rules let them go and register in arabic school. Go back to ur villages! apology fashola cheesy

1 Like

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Nobody: 4:08pm On Feb 28, 2013
I don't care if you ban me ... Islam is one big problem the world is facing.

Nairaland is not for me ...

11 Likes

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by abdulkayus(m): 4:08pm On Feb 28, 2013
buJu-234:
@ abdulkayus

which right are u the only religion in Nigeria sef... u go to every govt. parastatal u will find a mosque there; eh ....

Islam is jst giving everybody headache from christians to Jews to hindus to babalawo even to them selves (sunnis Vs shites).

Moderator; i tot NL is a free social network; Seun u tot that we all came here jst to make u b n Forbes abi? there are other nigerian online forum ok..
so Moderator stop intimidating people ok. u re not feeding any one

Lets the truth b said; this religion own is becoming too much; they act as if they owe the whole world.... wenti sef.... Yesterday Islam this; today islam dis; tomorrow islam dat. from Africa to Europe to asia; wenti sef...

hey, if u hate Islam dat so much, go hug BH boss. U need to start thinkin straight. Despite d education many of u still claim to get, is still doesnt reflect in ur life. I xpect some1 who claim to be educative to be sensible is discussin issue, bt nay, many of u hav been program to hate a certain religion. Sorry for u

2 Likes

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Okijajuju1(m): 4:09pm On Feb 28, 2013
abdulkayus:

ehen abi, so d principal nw hav right to trample on d right of some citizens cos of some religion different. I knw if its a muslim principal that say maybe d xtains student shld stop wearin cruxifixes to school, many of u here will be cryin fowl.
Hypocrites.

[b][img]http://aqilahavc.files./2010/08/school_uniform.jpg[/img]

The Above Picture is a classic example of a schools uniform. Any alteration is deemed an offence.

A Crusifix can be worn inside the uniform such that it does not show, same way a Muslim student can carry their prayer beads inside their pockets and its not an offence either.

HOWEVER!! Wear a Hijab over this uniform alters it and thus makes it wrong!!

If a Christian student (Deeperlifer) ties a head scarf to school, she should be disciplined.

Now let me ask, I want to believe that we do have some muslim women in the Army, so why dont they also tie their hijab untop of their uniforms (even if the Hijab is a camouflaged designed one?! Dont let religous sentiments becloud your better sense of Judgement.

I remember in my NYSC days when some Deeperlife Students were caught outside of Camp attending church with the wrong NYSC gear on (They had changed their Combat Trousers to Army Coloured Skirts).. The entire Camp had to beg the Camp Director & State Cordinator on their behalf, otherwise they were about to be decamped. They slept in the Camp Jail that night![/b]

13 Likes

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by siddiq202(m): 4:09pm On Feb 28, 2013
ola_pluto: The principals involved acted beyond their jurisdiction. This issue of ijab in schools is a crisis waiting to happen if our authorities do not nip it in the bud. Even in UK, primary school children wear ijabs to schools in public schools. I was at Stratford early this month and opportuned to see a primary school playing ground at lunchtime. I was very impressed with how everyone got along well, with the young gals in ijab playing and doing well.
The pupils do not have any issues with their mate wearing ijab. It is only the overzealous principals and teachers who try to enforce their religion.
Having said that, I think however, that our MSSN could have approached this in a more effective and legal way. They do not need 200 pupils shouting 'Allah Akbar'.. All they need is 2 brothers and 2 sisters who know their worth. There's a tactic to approach every problem

I agree with your suggestion but I wouldn't want to write-off what they (MSSN) have done so far.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by dederocs(m): 4:09pm On Feb 28, 2013
ola_pluto: The principals involved acted beyond their jurisdiction. This issue of ijab in schools is a crisis waiting to happen if our authorities do not nip it in the bud. Even in UK, primary school children wear ijabs to schools in public schools. I was at Stratford early this month and opportuned to see a primary school playing ground at lunchtime. I was very impressed with how everyone got along well, with the young gals in ijab playing and doing well.
The pupils do not have any issues with their mate wearing ijab. It is only the overzealous principals and teachers who try to enforce their religion.
Having said that, I think however, that our MSSN could have approached this in a more effective and legal way. They do not need 200 pupils shouting 'Allah Akbar'.. All they need is 2 brothers and 2 sisters who know their worth. There's a tactic to approach every problem
we are used to the babaric nature of muslims,even if una start to dey throw bombs,its nothing new-but i assure you,you all will bear most casualties,and will regret.Eko'oni baje.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by olapluto(m): 4:10pm On Feb 28, 2013
So how UNIFORM is our UNIFORM in Nigeria? can you trully line 10 students up and see any uniformity in their so called 'uniform'?? In the later stages of my secondary school, the gals went for sexy skirts. They turned school 'uniform' to sexy, tight skirts pouting everything poutable. They were given school official 'beret' (a religious cap for christians), but they mostly wore bandana or scarfs. Wearing ijab is part of being Uniform! Uniformity in colour and style can be achieved by introducing an option of ijab of the school uniform colour for muslim students. Its very simple, but we know those who will oppose it.

3 Likes

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by GboyegaD(m): 4:11pm On Feb 28, 2013
abdulkayus:

Hypocrites.

I think you are worse than those you tagged hypocrites because that is what your post reeks of.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by gramci: 4:11pm On Feb 28, 2013
abdulkayus:

Hypocrites.

Pity you
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by siddiq202(m): 4:13pm On Feb 28, 2013
dederocs:
they can air their views,but any act of babarism and savagery must be severely dealt with.
Eko'oni baje.

Could you please expatiate?
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by buJu234: 4:13pm On Feb 28, 2013
@ abdulkayus

no body hate islam; just that the truth have to b said even if its bitter. simple as ABC.

is it a lie that islam is making news daily as a religion of Pieces instead of Peace.

am not against Islam; what am against is that u the followers are not practicing what u preach..
after all u said Islam is a religion of Peace... na me talk nam....

So proof urself

1 Like

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by abdulkayus(m): 4:13pm On Feb 28, 2013
GboyegaD:

I think you are worse than those you tagged hypocrites because that is what your post reeks of.

or wat u actually reeks of.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Eneze1(f): 4:13pm On Feb 28, 2013
GboyegaD:

thank you
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by GboyegaD(m): 4:13pm On Feb 28, 2013

Have you ever thought of it that schools in the west don't wear uniforms thus, you can wear what you want. Therefore, it is a totally different scenaro with what we have in our own case. You cannot be above the state and if you feel you don't like how things are done, you could change to a private school that accommodates that.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by dederocs(m): 4:14pm On Feb 28, 2013
It is a secular school,if you want to wear hijab go to Arabic school,i thought you muslims said western education is sin,go to your Almajiri schools-but stay in the north and do your begging proffession,stop embarrassing Nigeria by filling the streets of lagos begging.
the earlier you muslims realise that your religion only concerns you the better-we dont care about your religion,do not ever use it to disturb our peace,else everyone will bear the brunt.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by abdulkayus(m): 4:15pm On Feb 28, 2013
YoungSalute: @ abdulkayus Shame on you... I thought Islam reject western education. Olodo.

Get it, 21st Century. Not 1203 AD or BC oh !!!

i think d shame shld be on u, cos u never knw hw to decide between left and right. I dont knw where u get ur ideologies dat Islam reject western education, or are also part of d BH dat reject it.
SMH on ur ignorance

1 Like

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by JayKayMaybachz(m): 4:15pm On Feb 28, 2013
victorazy: Rubbish!!!
Schools have dress code, and if anybody go contrary to it must face the wrath.

By the way, what is the meaning of this rubbish "To avoid being banned, please ensure that your post is not offensive to Islam" ban me I don't care u only loose one esteemed donor!
Hmmmm my Brother i thought i was the only that got that ! and what the heck is that huh ?? Why should we be given an instructions before commentinq ... buh it doesn't happen in oda thread
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by GboyegaD(m): 4:16pm On Feb 28, 2013
Afam4eva: The law of the state supercedes every other thing. If you can't obey the law then look for a school where your lawlessness is law. I'm even surprised that law breakers have the temerity to protest lawlessness. I'll like to know what Fashola said to them.

Why are you surprised? In our case as a country, we have failed to separate religion from the state in both Christianity and Islam. That is why even when we do wrong, we defend it with our holy books and religious indoctrinations.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by olapluto(m): 4:16pm On Feb 28, 2013
First pix...a typical secondary school in UK...
Second pix: a Jewish kid in primary school
Then read this interesting article: http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/common-sense-and-respect-for-children-in-hijabs-please-8437433.html

3 Likes

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by dederocs(m): 4:17pm On Feb 28, 2013
abdulkayus:

hey, if u hate Islam dat so much, go hug BH boss. U need to start thinkin straight. Despite d education many of u still claim to get, is still doesnt reflect in ur life. I xpect some1 who claim to be educative to be sensible is discussin issue, bt nay, many of u hav been program to hate a certain religion. Sorry for u
islam has become a cankerworm,to our development.you muslims should stay in the North,we dont like you-y'all are extremists...stay on your own or else we all will bear the brunt.Do you think people will like Muslims,when they are being bombed by Islamic terrorists?
no one cares about your religion,just stop using it to affect us-abi una want make everybody dey shoot each other for street before una go hear word?
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Biggyd2: 4:18pm On Feb 28, 2013
Whaaaattt! You mean secondary school students said this:

In a statement issued to the press, the Muslim students demanded that Ukpaka and Omidele should be sacked with immediate effect for promoting actions capable of instigating religious crisis in Lagos and that the suspended student should be recalled immediately.

If things like this happen in secondary school, what will happen when and if they ever make it to higher institutions? And please what have their parents got to say about such disgusting behaviour of their wards? Does government public school allow the wearing of hijab? I don't blame them, when we have unruly people in government, what do you expect? After this demonstration, these kids expect the school to happily take them back? Pray that you don't join your colleagues on "sympathy" suspension. Silly children, they should go home and help their parents with the chores at home. They would use their energy to do something better instead of going on strike!

1 Like

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by GboyegaD(m): 4:18pm On Feb 28, 2013
abdulkayus:

May God bless u. Ori e wambe. U get sense pass many hypocrites here.

You see why you are the top hypocrite here. Have you forgotten students in those countries do not wear uniforms?
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by tbaba1234: 4:18pm On Feb 28, 2013
A lot of the comments above aren't well thought-out.

i. Wearing the Hijab is a religious obligation for muslims not an option, so unless you do not want muslims to go to public schools, you would understand why it has to be accommodated . We live in a multi-religious society, the common sense thing is that the hijab is allowed in public schools since it is an essential part of the religion.

ii. The Lagos State government allows Hijabs for muslim students in its schools in light of the above. If you have a private school, you can have a strict dress policy. This is a court ruling to this effect.

Judge Olubunmi Oyewole of the High Court ruled that the ban was a breach of articles 38 and 42 of the Nigerian constitution.

He further said the institution failed to prove how hijab could spark a religious conflict.

The judge underscored that the institute, a public school funded by tax payers and owned by the Lagos state government, cannot operate outside the provisions of Constitution.

Refuting arguments that the students ought to abide by the institute’s regulations expressed in their admission letters, Oyewole said they did not waive their rights to their religious beliefs and practice merely because they accepted the admission letters.

http://www.islam-online.net/English/News/2004-11/20/article03.shtml

Since restrictions on religious clothes go against the constitution of Nigeria, a public institution can not do something the contravenes the law of the country.

iii. All the talk about observing school uniforms are void, the state cannot prevent students from observing tenets of their religion.

7 Likes

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by siddiq202(m): 4:18pm On Feb 28, 2013
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by jamst(m): 4:19pm On Feb 28, 2013
[quote author=dirk]I'm not maniacally bewildered that the even the young adherents of islam have started exhibiting their natural animalistic platitude of violence. What is the definition of uniform? It won't be a fallacy to say that their protest has been encouraged by the giantomaias and the high priests of the religion. I however commend the girls sha...they are good followers of their fathers.[/quote
u are reeeaaaallllllyyyy a DIRK indeed...ode oshi
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Okijajuju1(m): 4:19pm On Feb 28, 2013
ola_pluto: So how UNIFORM is our UNIFORM in Nigeria? can you trully line 10 students up and see any uniformity in their so called 'uniform'?? In the later stages of my secondary school, the gals went for sexy skirts. They turned school 'uniform' to sexy, tight skirts pouting everything poutable. They were given school official 'beret' (a religious cap for christians), but they mostly wore bandana or scarfs. Wearing ijab is part of being Uniform! Uniformity in colour and style can be achieved by introducing an option of ijab of the school uniform colour for muslim students. Its very simple, but we know those who will oppose it.

[b]ARGH!!!! Bros!! What kind of arguement is this one na?!

I agree that uniformity in school Unifroms in Nigeria is rather hard to come by especially because 95% od schools dont necessarily have a steady source of getting these uniforms, however! These variance are not a function of a large alteration like adding a Hijab or a Headscarf, they are simple variance in shades & tint of the colors, fitness and such.

I put it to you that NO SCHOOL where berets are a part of their uniform will tolorate students altering their berets for bandanas and scarfs!! ALSO!! Saying that Berets are a Christian religous head wear makes you sound like a really desparate liar! The Nigerian Army, Navy, Airforce & Police all wear berets as well, I guess its a Christian religous addition to their Uniforms as well abi?! Or Is the Nigerian Armed forces a Christian religous outfit?! Bros take am easy dey lie for here.. NAIRALANDERS ARE NOT IIDIOTS.

Wearing a Hijad is not a part of a uniform for Public schools. #Period!

[/b]

5 Likes

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by Afam4eva(m): 4:19pm On Feb 28, 2013
ola_pluto: First pix...a typical secondary school in UK...
Second pix: a Jewish kid in primary school
Then read this interesting article: http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/common-sense-and-respect-for-children-in-hijabs-please-8437433.html
It may be allowed in some schools in the UK but it's not allowed in secular schools in Nigeria. There are schools in Nigeria that accept it and are mostly Islamic schools.
Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by abdulkayus(m): 4:21pm On Feb 28, 2013
dederocs:
islam has become a cankerworm,to our development.you muslims should stay in the North,we dont like you-y'all are extremists...stay on your own or else we all will bear the brunt.Do you think people will like Muslims,when they are being bombed by Islamic terrorists?
no one cares about your religion,just stop using it to affect us-abi una want make everybody dey shoot each other for street before una go hear word?

so to u, every1 in d north is a muslims and every1 in d south is a xtains, and d South western muslims shld leave d SW and go to north for hypocrite like u abi. U c y half education is dangerous. U is even beggin u ppl to like muslims b4. Better face front jou and rid urself of ignorance.

1 Like

Re: Muslim Students Protest Discrimination Against Hijab In Lagos by tbaba1234: 4:22pm On Feb 28, 2013
Afam4eva:
It may be allowed in some schools in the UK but it's not allowed in secular schools in Nigeria. There are schools in Nigeria that accept it and are mostly Islamic schools.

Untrue, this is a state school. A state school can not do something that goes against the constitution of the country.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Sexual Intercourse With Menstruating Women Is Prohibited / Fashion Thread For Muslim Women / Social Distancing During Hajj Pilgrimage. Number Reduced From 2 Million To 1,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.