Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,330 members, 7,819,134 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:44 AM

Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia (19041 Views)

View Point: Feminism Threatens Marriage And Family Values. / Omotola-jalade Ekeinde's On Her Marriage And Gender Equality / Traditonal Marriage And Court Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Winneygirl(f): 7:52pm On Mar 05, 2013
@Abali, I dont feel like partaking in d survey.

I appreciate those who have, and those who will, but I tend 2 see genotype from a diff. angle.

SCD is not an infection, but a condition. So there's no reason 4 Stigma, but we shld nt underestimate d power of knowledge.

Ur questionaire looks at d psychological reaction of pple to SCD.

I'd rather go get my hands dirty with d science surrounding it.

D awareness is out there. We just need 2get one another to go 4 d test.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by aniffy4eva(m): 10:26pm On Mar 05, 2013
I agree with Abali1 on this one. In my opinion, the awareness on SCD is pretty low, considering level of illiteracy in Nigeria. Moreover, a lot of people who think they know, don't know as much (yours truly included).... We learn everyday...

Abali1: This thread is born out of the desire to get people's opinion concerning those of us living with SS. Below is a draft questionnaire I intend distributing to people, in the course of researching Sickle Cell Disease (SCD).

QUESTIONNAIRE:

1) Did your parents do genotype testing before they got married? NO

2) If not, do you consider yourself 'lucky' to have escaped being born a SS? LUCKY? Maybe... undecided I'm AA

3) Would you categorise Sickle Cell as a terminal illness alongside Cancer or HIV/AIDS? Terminal is a strong word.. i'll go with HIGH-RISK

4) With you knowledge of Sickle Cell disease, which genotype pairing do you think is the most compatible for someone with sickle cell to marry? AA

5) Do you think that with the right education and awareness of Sickle Cell disease, that someone living with Sickle cell can live a long, healthy and productive life? YES..Education is important.... Sound finances can also be helpful

6) In your estimation, how long do you think that a SS person can live? In other words what is the expected Life expectancy? Life is in God's hands... Average life expectancy in Nigeria is 47 undecided.. i know of perfectly normal healthy people who died way before 20
7) Can you marry someone living with Sickle Cell? YES. In fact... i am... smiley

cool If NO, what are your reasons? (Please state a cogent/tenable reason) N/A

9) Do you think a SS male can father a child? YES

10) Do think a SS female can carry a pregnancy to term? YES. We have a son... Very cute i should add. cheesy

11) Have you ever been in close association with a SS person? YES....

12) If yes, do you consider them different from other people having AA or AS? NO

One more question... 13) If you had to live all over, would you marry her? YES.. a million lifetimes more kiss

2 Likes

Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Abali1(m): 10:33pm On Mar 05, 2013
aniffy4eva: I agree with Abali1 on this one. In my opinion, the awareness on SCD is pretty low, considering level of illiteracy in Nigeria. Moreover, a lot of people who think they know, don't know as much (yours truly included).... We learn everyday...

Thank you for responding. To be sincere I am amazed that you are married to a SS. I think you will have to share your experience (but not on this thread) with NL soon.
I will like to know how you got through all the opposition that am sure you must have faced when you where considering getting hitched with a SS. But not now.

Thank you.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by aniffy4eva(m): 10:40pm On Mar 05, 2013
Abali1:
Thank you for responding
Anything for the cause wink
You are welcome.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Abali1(m): 7:09am On Mar 06, 2013
grin
Goodmorning all, I'm still waiting for more people to take the survey.
Thank You
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Abali1(m): 12:47pm On Mar 06, 2013
217 Views.
I thought by now, I would have gotten more responses. Or does the survey set of some emotinal sparks.
NL family section, I need your views/opinion on this thread.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Abali1(m): 8:51pm On Mar 06, 2013
258 views.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by oluplus(m): 11:41pm On Mar 06, 2013
Abali, you' re doin a great job.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by baby124: 3:13am On Mar 07, 2013
oluplus: Abali, you' re doin a great job, but pls help me. I got married 4 yrs ago. I didn't do genotype test bcux I did it in pre medical before I got employed and the lab attendant showed me the result on friendship level, though, am not suppose to see it and I tested AA. My wife did the test before wedding and also tested AA. Now, my wife is 25 weeks preg and the doc did her genotype again during one of her visits and the result showed AS. I was confused, and decided to do mine again. To my suprise, I tested AS. Am yet to understand what is goin on. We have a boy of 3 yrs and I decided to do his own too. But thank God he tested AA. Now, my fear is abt the unborn child. What exactly is goin on? What can I do? Am just disturbed.

Go to LUTH and get tested again.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Nobody: 4:06am On Mar 07, 2013
Yeah @oluplus go for another screening.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Abali1(m): 6:45am On Mar 07, 2013
oluplus: Abali, you' re doin a great job, but pls help me. I got married 4 yrs ago. I didn't do genotype test bcux I did it in pre medical before I got employed and the lab attendant showed me the result on friendship level, though, am not suppose to see it and I tested AA. My wife did the test before wedding and also tested AA. Now, my wife is 25 weeks preg and the doc did her genotype again during one of her visits and the result showed AS. I was confused, and decided to do mine again. To my suprise, I tested AS. Am yet to understand what is goin on. We have a boy of 3 yrs and I decided to do his own too. But thank God he tested AA. Now, my fear is abt the unborn child. What exactly is goin on? What can I do? Am just disturbed.

Oluplus, I know you must have been disturbed when you found out that you and wifey are both AS. All hope is not lost.
Infact, your type of story abound in this our country Nigeria. Many road side labs or private labs don't really have some of the medical equipment required to do a thorough blood genotype screening. If I had not known mine since I was a kid, I would have fallen victim to this type of thing. I was once tested and my result came back as AA, LOL. (My sister even claimed that if my Faith had been strong, the MIRACLE would have been permanent).

Ok, Oluplus, take your wife to any teaching hospital and do another Genotype testing to be double sure (thank God your first issue scaled through).
After that, I would equally advice that they do a Genotype test to determine that of the baby in the womb (I had the procedure is a bit costly). But if you would not do that of the baby in the womb, then have faith that it comes out as AA or AS.
Oluplus, even if the worst case scenerio happens and it comes out as SS, all hope is not lost. Immediately after birth, the doctors should be able to flush out the jaundice, to help prevent the Yellowing of the eyes that may come about as the baby grows. And you her or his parents should give the baby the baby the special care that is needed.
Medical science have gone so far, that if the required care is given a SS child will live his/her life happily and productively even till old age.
Oluplus, don't despair, your Faith will go along way if things do not pan out the way you planned.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Abali1(m): 6:49am On Mar 07, 2013
baby_123:

baby_123, you asked at the beginning of this thread if the questionnaire was necessary, I hope Oluplus' case have shed more light on why the questionnaire is necessary.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by ameenahz(f): 8:33am On Mar 07, 2013
1) Did your parents do genotype testing before they got married?

Yes. They are both AS and the love (stupidity) made them go into it anyway

2) If not, do you consider yourself 'lucky' to have escaped being born a SS?

Ermm.....sincerely.....yes

3) Would you categorise Sickle Cell as a terminal illness alongside Cancer or HIV/AIDS?

Chronic, yes. Terminal, no.

4) With you knowledge of Sickle Cell disease, which genotype pairing do you think is the most compatible for someone with sickle cell to marry?

AA, of course.

5) Do you think that with the right education and awareness of Sickle Cell disease, that someone living with Sickle cell can live a long, healthy and productive life?

Sure. Lots of money n caring, supportive and understanding family n friends too

6) In your estimation, how long do you think that a SS person can live? In other words what is the expected Life expectancy?
With GOD, good parents, good friends n good healthcare system, a SS person can live as long as anybody else

7) Can you marry someone living with Sickle Cell?

I am AS, so, no.

cool If NO, what are your reasons? (Please state a cogent/tenable reason)

First, i am AS. Second, if i were to be AA, i dnt think i can live in fear of my husband dying at anytime (APOLOGIES O)

9) Do you think a SS male can father a child?

Sure, yes. I know 2 SS guys who r fathers.

10) Do think a SS female can carry a pregnancy to term?

It will be stressful, but yes

11) Have you ever been in close association with a SS person?

Yes. My kid sister, my '1st love', anoda male friend and 2 of my galfriends

12) If yes, do you consider them different from other people having AA or AS?
NO. They r humans like me now.

1 Like

Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Abali1(m): 9:03am On Mar 07, 2013
ameenahz:

Thank your for you response.
I believe that some people will feel squirmish about question number 7 & 8.
You don't need to feel like that, the survey is very important and may enlighten or help someone out there to make up his or her mind.
There are several people who are in a relationship with SS people, but who will most likely back off when it gets to marriage talk. The AA partner is not backing off because S/He does not love the person, but because of the negativity that family and friends feed to him / her.
If the awareness of Sickle Cell is not spread and made popular like that of Cancer and HIV/AIDS, the stigma and sterotyping that most adult SS witness will never stop.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Abali1(m): 10:33am On Mar 07, 2013
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by ameenahz(f): 10:52am On Mar 07, 2013
Abali1:

Thank your for you response.
I believe that some people will feel squirmish about question number 7 & 8.
You don't need to feel like that, the survey is very important and may enlighten or help someone out there to make up his or her mind.
There are several people who are in a relationship with SS people, but who will most likely back off when it gets to marriage talk. The AA partner is not backing off because S/He does not love the person, but because of the negativity that family and friends feed to him / her.
If the awareness of Sickle Cell is not spread and made popular like that of Cancer and HIV/AIDS, the stigma and sterotyping that most adult SS witness will never stop.

Sincerely, i undastand. I said it in my rsponse that my sista has SCD. She s just 14 n i know how i will feel if she is jilted by a lover who is scared (of the same thng i am scared of). But at d same time, i knw what we all, especially our mum go thru (emotionally and all) wheneva she has a crisis. Ko easy at all! I praise the men and women who are married to men/women with SCD and i see them as strong, tough pple, but believe me, i dnt av d strength it takes to cope, hence my response. That does not mean i will discourage anyone, even my own brother, who is willing to marry sum1 wt SCD.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Abali1(m): 11:18am On Mar 07, 2013
ameenahz:

Sincerely, i undastand. I said it in my rsponse that my sista has SCD. She s just 14 n i know how i will feel if she is jilted by a lover who is scared (of the same thng i am scared of). But at d same time, i knw what we all, especially our mum go thru (emotionally and all) wheneva she has a crisis. Ko easy at all! I praise the men and women who are married to men/women with SCD and i see them as strong, tough pple, but believe me, i dnt av d strength it takes to cope, hence my response. That does not mean i will discourage anyone, even my own brother, who is willing to marry sum1 wt SCD.

please don't get me wrong, my reply was not directed at you in particular. I am talking generally from the experience I have had and those of other SS I have heard about.
Of course there are challenges associated with SS, but most adult SS people rarely have crisis. In fact I know of people who have gone for upwards of 2years and more, without being hospitalize.
As an adult SS, you are more aware of things that will trigger off a crisis.
My concern is mainly about getting those that are not SS, to stop sterotyping and stigmatizing SS people. If you know you will not be able to live with an SS person, why go into a relationship with that person in the first place?

Parents, Siblings and friends out there should be able to feel free to talk about Sickle Cell and let their loved ones know where they stand in the scheme of things. It can help reduce some of the heart breaks.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Abali1(m): 11:18am On Mar 07, 2013
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by oluplus(m): 11:24am On Mar 07, 2013
baby_123:

. Thanks.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by biolabee(m): 12:00pm On Mar 07, 2013
Abali1:

You better be praying it does not make front page yet
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Abali1(m): 12:04pm On Mar 07, 2013
biolabee:

You better be praying it does not make front page yet
Why? to me this is to get an objective view of things concerning Sickle Cell and also to get a sample opinion of people.

Moreover it helps the SS people among us to prepare our minds, and also will help those AA/AS to see how people view SS people.

Sickle Cell is not a Death Sentence so I don't see why I/we should get all emotional and teary eyes about the way other people see SCD.

1 Like

Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by biolabee(m): 12:08pm On Mar 07, 2013
Front page will help with your cause but also the rif rafs and derailers will camp In

But no problem
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Abali1(m): 12:08pm On Mar 07, 2013
oluplus: . Thanks. I stay in Kaduna, so I'll go to a general hospital and do it again. @Abali, I read abt CVS test online, it determines the gntyp of unborn babies. But it's best done at 11th or 12th week. But now, it's almost 26th week now. I spoke wt the coy secretary and I think the cost i around 200K which is still affordable. A doctor friend said we should forget it as we can't do anything abt the result at dis stage.

Oluplus, let's have Faith that your baby will be born AA/AS.
Even if the worst case scenerio happens which is SS, you are better armed with information to handle the future.
Like I said above, Sickle Cell is not a death sentence. For one, I am a living witness who believes that you can achieve whatever you set your mind to do, Sickle Cell or not.

3 Likes

Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Abali1(m): 12:12pm On Mar 07, 2013
biolabee: Front page will help with your cause but also the rif rafs and derailers will camp In

But no problem

I understand how NL works. But if Front Page can help get more people informed, I wouldn't mind the 'rif rafs' and derailers.
This is a path I have choosen, I will do everything in my will to see that more and more people get enlightened about these beautiful and amazing people known as SICKLE CELL WARIORS.

1 Like

Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by ameenahz(f): 12:32pm On Mar 07, 2013
Abali1:

please don't get me wrong, my reply was directed at you in particular. I am talking generally from the experience I have had and those of other SS I have heard about.
Of course there are challenges associated with SS, but most adult SS people rarely have crisis. In fact I know of people who have gone for upwards of 2years and more, without being hospitalize.
As an adult SS, you are more awarzs things that will trigger off a crisis.
My concern is mainly about getting those that are not SS, to stop sterotyping and stigmatizing SS people. If you know yoeu will not be able to live with an SS person,hy go into a relationship with that person in the first place?

Parents, Siblings and friends out there should be able to feel free to talk about Sickle Cell and let their loved ones know where they stand in the scheme of things. It help reduce some of the heart breaks.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Abali1(m): 12:42pm On Mar 07, 2013
[quote author=ameenahz][/quote]

*My reply was not directed at you in particular* correction made.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Nobody: 12:50pm On Mar 07, 2013
it seems like op wants to whip up sentements for pple living.with ss. Too bad parents were ignorant back then. It's a pity for pple to suffer for ignorance sake.
As per ur question, I knw someone who is ss, but says if he was aa he wouldn't marry an ss. It's a personal choice and no.one.shld be made to feel.guilty for his or her answers.
As for me I can.marry an ss. I will marry anybdy with any condition as long as I love her.

1 Like

Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Abali1(m): 1:33pm On Mar 07, 2013
Aqva: it seems like op wants to whip up sentements for pple living.with ss. Too bad parents were ignorant back then. It's a pity for pple to suffer for ignorance sake.
As per ur question, I knw someone who is ss, but says if he was aa he wouldn't marry an ss. It's a personal choice and no.one.shld be made to feel.guilty for his or her answers.
As for me I can.marry an ss. I will marry anybdy with any condition as long as I love her.

I wouldn't call it "whipping up sentiments". But I guess everyone sees things from his/her own perspective.
Thank you.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by OluEmmaAss: 2:09pm On Mar 07, 2013
This genotype stuff is a big issue.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by paris10: 2:12pm On Mar 07, 2013
My parents did not do s.h.i.i.t, married in the 70's, they have between them five lovely children. Well, my dad has 6, impregnated another woman wink. All in all, the 6 kids, mum and dad, AA ni everybody joor
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Nobody: 2:32pm On Mar 07, 2013
Abali1: This thread is born out of the desire to get people's opinion concerning those of us living with SS. Below is a draft questionnaire I intend distributing to people, in the course of researching Sickle Cell Disease (SCD).

QUESTIONNAIRE:

1) Did your parents do genotype testing before they got married?

2) If not, do you consider yourself 'lucky' to have escaped being born a SS?

3) Would you categorise Sickle Cell as a terminal illness alongside Cancer or HIV/AIDS?

4) With you knowledge of Sickle Cell disease, which genotype pairing do you think is the most compatible for someone with sickle cell to marry?

5) Do you think that with the right education and awareness of Sickle Cell disease, that someone living with Sickle cell can live a long, healthy and productive life?

6) In your estimation, how long do you think that a SS person can live? In other words what is the expected Life expectancy?
7) Can you marry someone living with Sickle Cell?

cool If NO, what are your reasons? (Please state a cogent/tenable reason)

9) Do you think a SS male can father a child?

10) Do think a SS female can carry a pregnancy to term?

11) Have you ever been in close association with a SS person?

12) If yes, do you consider them different from other people having AA or AS?

1. Yes

2. I guess not

3. No. It's not as bad as cancer/HIV. Chances of survival are very high with the right knowledge.

4. AA

5. Yes, oh definitely.

6. With good treatment, for as long as possible (I'm talking into their 60s and beyond).

7. No

8. I'm AS and there's a high risk that I'll give birth to a sickle cell child

9. Yes

10. Yes

11. More than I care to count....so YES!!

12. No, until they told me, I didn't even know that they were SS.
Re: Marriage And The Sickle Cell Anaemia by Abali1(m): 2:34pm On Mar 07, 2013
Olu-Emma & Ass.:
This genotype stuff is a big issue.

Yeah, it's a big stuff for some people (SS, AS) and for some other people they don't really give a hoot.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Tanzanian Authorities To Publish Names Of Married Men To Protect Single Women / My Husband Hates My Best Friend. What Should I Do? / Would You Advice Your Daughter/son To Marry Someone Like You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.