Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,626 members, 7,809,337 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:01 AM

Gender Equality, The Cause Of Many Broken Families Or Not? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Gender Equality, The Cause Of Many Broken Families Or Not? (2913 Views)

Can't We Just Get Married Without Involving Families? / Omotola-jalade Ekeinde's On Her Marriage And Gender Equality / What Is Majorly The Cause Of A Child's Brilliancy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gender Equality, The Cause Of Many Broken Families Or Not? by Ofido(m): 7:26pm On Mar 07, 2013
*Women Empowerment, The curse of societal moral decadence among our women or A Blessing to this generation?

**What is your take on the 50-50 bid by our female counterpart..?

***With the present 35% given to The Female Gender in terms of political representation and lets say the little rights they tend to have grabbed by themselves, is our society safer and more peaceful now?

I got the wind of International Women Day Cerebration while listening to the radio this morning, all i heard was ''equal rights for man and woman, equal this, equal that, that the men should see they wives as partners not as wife again... Haaa! So many things came to my mind.

Fine, Nigeria has made significant strides in gender equality and protection of the right of women but lets really try to examine this gender equality bid and the pros and cons.

I have said it without mincing words that gender equality is the cause of so many divorce we see today, broken homes, most marriages are today warzones, no body wants to be under a head and seriously it has taken toll on our youth which in turn have affected the society at large.

I am in full support of women right wen it comes to subjection to early marriage, female circumcision, girl child education, rape, widows abuse, domestic violence but for single motherhood and girl child assess to contraceptics am yet to take a stand but for they 50-50 bid ''Waa-Waa na oburu ndi Abakaliki'' am totally against it, its like trying to say that all fingers should be equal.
Re: Gender Equality, The Cause Of Many Broken Families Or Not? by Nobody: 8:26pm On Mar 07, 2013
Ofido: but for they 50-50 bid ''Waa-Waa na oburu ndi Abakaliki'' am totally against it, its like trying to say that all fingers should be equal.

OP, why do you think women deserve less than men?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gender Equality, The Cause Of Many Broken Families Or Not? by chyseth(m): 8:55pm On Mar 07, 2013
for there to be orderliness in the home, somebody should assume the leadership role, that naturally is the role of the father. like it is said, two captains cannot navigate same ship concurrently. this does not mean, i dont support women empowerment, but there should be a balance in the pursuit of the empowerment such that submission is not totally ruled out. that way, peace and coherence can be obtained in the home and the right values are passed over to the children. children learn from what the see in the home more than the whole advice they receive from the same home. it was once said that ' i rather see a sermon than hear one anyday'
Re: Gender Equality, The Cause Of Many Broken Families Or Not? by Nobody: 9:01pm On Mar 07, 2013
chyseth: for there to be orderliness in the home, somebody should assume the leadership role, that naturally is the role of the father. like it is said, two captains cannot navigate same ship concurrently. this does not mean, i dont support women empowerment, but there should be a balance in the pursuit of the empowerment such that submission is not totally ruled out. that way, peace and coherence can be obtained in the home and the right values are passed over to the children. children learn from what the see in the home more than the whole advice they receive from the same home. it was once said that ' i rather see a sermon than hear one anyday'

But what is wrong with cooperating and working hand in hand with your partner?
Is it wrong to just talk and find out what works best for the family rather than a having a relationship where only one party has a say in the marriage?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gender Equality, The Cause Of Many Broken Families Or Not? by chyseth(m): 9:14pm On Mar 07, 2013
i did not advocate a subservient relationship in a marriage environment, what am driving at is this: though there is need to adequately carry your partner along in your decision making, that role of fatherhood in the home should not be played down upon. in a situation where husband and wife are running the home on a parallel line, mehn you can agree with me that there is harmony in such family.
Re: Gender Equality, The Cause Of Many Broken Families Or Not? by Nobody: 9:18pm On Mar 07, 2013
chyseth: that role of fatherhood in the home should not be played down upon.

So what exactly is the role of fatherhood?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gender Equality, The Cause Of Many Broken Families Or Not? by chyseth(m): 9:37pm On Mar 07, 2013
final decision making, catering for the family, spiritual head of the home, bread winner, directives. it does not mean, that the woman cannot perform these roles, but at least they should emanate from the man and then spread across the household
Re: Gender Equality, The Cause Of Many Broken Families Or Not? by Nobody: 10:04pm On Mar 07, 2013
chyseth: final decision making, catering for the family, spiritual head of the home, bread winner, directives. it does not mean, that the woman cannot perform these roles, but at least they should emanate from the man and then spread across the household
Man, I've got so much to say to this. So much. . . .
But I am not in the mood for long talk this evening. I think every couple should just do whatever works best for their family.
Re: Gender Equality, The Cause Of Many Broken Families Or Not? by chyseth(m): 10:23pm On Mar 07, 2013
i will be interested in your intelligent discuss whenever you have the time
fellis:
Man, I've got so much to say to this. So much. . . .
But I am not in the mood for long talk this evening. I think every couple should just do whatever works best for their family.
Re: Gender Equality, The Cause Of Many Broken Families Or Not? by personaldomest(f): 6:26pm On Mar 08, 2013
i still don't understand who set the rules.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gender Equality, The Cause Of Many Broken Families Or Not? by causewahala: 7:06pm On Mar 08, 2013
Equal right ko, equal right ni. . . give a babe an inch you'll end up losing a mile! tongue

Ever seen a home where the wife is the bread winner? . . . u go cry for the man (at least 7 out of 10 times)

There exist few who can cope with this equal right stuff, who know its better to lead from behind, who understands that to bring out the best in ur man is not by an aggressive approach, rather supporting and loving him!

How many are like this? B4 all of una (women) come hia come begin form saint, lemmie make my own suggestion. . . . make we nor deceive ourselves, women aren't made to have equal rights with men!!!

grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Gender Equality, The Cause Of Many Broken Families Or Not? by Nobody: 7:07pm On Mar 08, 2013
personaldomest: i still don't understand who set the rules.
The Bible and the Qur'an.
Re: Gender Equality, The Cause Of Many Broken Families Or Not? by miredia(m): 7:14pm On Mar 08, 2013
There's nothing wrong with gender equality. Women aren't inferior to men. Broken homes are primarily a function of broken attitudes.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Gender Equality, The Cause Of Many Broken Families Or Not? by dayokanu(m): 7:28pm On Mar 08, 2013
I would be for equal right if it also means equal responsibilities by both

Many women are quick to demand equal right by play the "I am a woman or weaker sex" card when it comes to responsibilities

1 Like

Re: Gender Equality, The Cause Of Many Broken Families Or Not? by Nobody: 7:40pm On Mar 08, 2013
dayokanu: I would be for equal right if it also means equal responsibilities by both
Would you help your wife with housework if she has a job outside the house?
Re: Gender Equality, The Cause Of Many Broken Families Or Not? by dayokanu(m): 7:48pm On Mar 08, 2013
fellis:
Would you help your wife with housework if she has a job outside the house?

Why not. As long as other responsibilities in the house too are shared
Re: Gender Equality, The Cause Of Many Broken Families Or Not? by Nobody: 7:52pm On Mar 08, 2013
miredia: There's nothing wrong with gender equality. Women aren't inferior to men. Broken homes are primarily a function of broken attitudes.

1000 likes

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gender Equality, The Cause Of Many Broken Families Or Not? by Nobody: 7:52pm On Mar 08, 2013
dayokanu: I would be for equal right if it also means equal responsibilities by both

Many women are quick to demand equal right by play the "I am a woman or weaker sex" card when it comes to responsibilities

You're right.
Re: Gender Equality, The Cause Of Many Broken Families Or Not? by Nobody: 8:23pm On Mar 08, 2013
dayokanu:
Why not. As long as other responsibilities in the house too are shared

dayokanu you can liieee!!! You that said on this thread that men should not assist with housework so that they don't become domesticated.
I am the same person as the OP of that thread.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Gender Equality, The Cause Of Many Broken Families Or Not? by dayokanu(m): 8:32pm On Mar 08, 2013
fellis:

dayokanu you can liieee!!! You that said on this thread that men should not assist with housework so that they don't become domesticated.
I am the same person as the OP of that thread.

I said as long as other responsibilities in the house too are shared like cutting grass, heavy lifting, electrical, mechanical etc
Re: Gender Equality, The Cause Of Many Broken Families Or Not? by Nobody: 8:48pm On Mar 08, 2013
dayokanu:
I said as long as other responsibilities in the house too are shared like cutting grass, heavy lifting, electrical, mechanical etc

Why are you now changing your opinion? On that thread you were saying husbands shouldn't assist with housework on any grounds at all.

dayokanu:
Its natural in life for roles to be defined along sexual lines

dayokanu: He could also help her by gisting with her while she does the house work
If its too much hire a maid simple
Re: Gender Equality, The Cause Of Many Broken Families Or Not? by dayokanu(m): 8:57pm On Mar 08, 2013
fellis:

Why are you now changing your opinion? On that thread you were saying husbands shouldn't assist with housework on any grounds at all.

My opinion are still consistent.

I believe roles should be along sexuall lines but if one partner is overwhelmed get a help.

but if you insist on sharing everything then as we share the cooking, and washing, we must also share the grass cutting, fixing car, heavy lifting, electrical fitting and the energy sapping work too
Re: Gender Equality, The Cause Of Many Broken Families Or Not? by Nobody: 9:07pm On Mar 08, 2013
dayokanu:

My opinions are still consistent.

I believe roles should be along sexuall lines but if one partner is overwhelmed get a help.

but if you insist on sharing everything then as we share the cooking, and washing, we must also share the grass cutting, fixing car, heavy lifting, electrical fitting and the energy sapping work too

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Whatever man.
Re: Gender Equality, The Cause Of Many Broken Families Or Not? by Nobody: 10:54am On Mar 09, 2013
The gender equality thing is pretty much something that can never be fully accepted.For peace sake,women should whole heartedly accept the leadership of a peace loving and responsible husband.If an irresponsible man pops into your life like a miserable Hiv ad icon with the aim and objective of squashing your dreams and rendering you a second class citizen,Now that's no man to submit to.

If you treat a woman with respect and love,I don't see why submission would be a problem.Acting like a dictator around the home front really makes a man look foolish.Heck,am not intrested in the battle of the sexes,Every gender should appreciate and accept each others role with love.Couples should be willing to submit to each other without coercion,life will be so easy without these unnecessary battles.The fact that your wife preferred you watching football at home and you respected her won't make you any less a man,The fact that you aided a broke hubby financially doesn't make you his head.

Abeg women should be real women and men should be worthy of leadership.Please don't ever let any sorry excuse of a man to leadooooo,they are the ones who batter their wives and expect her to keep praying for them while languishing in oblivion,the ones who cheat and expect you to compete with their concubines,A man who publicly degrade you is no man to lead you.

The gender equality thing is invalid,I for one do not see my self turning on the generator while hubby is braiding my daughter's hair(If I had a daughter).It just won't work!!Women should humbly submit to the responsible men in their lives.For the irresponsible ones??you can aswell shit on their faces because a blind man cannot lead a woman whose vision is intact.

1 Like

Re: Gender Equality, The Cause Of Many Broken Families Or Not? by dayokanu(m): 9:48pm On Mar 09, 2013
byvan: The gender equality thing is invalid,[b][size=16pt]I for one do not see my self turning on the generator while hubby is braiding my daughter's hair(If I had a daughter).It just won't work![/size]![/b]Women should humbly submit to the responsible men in their lives.For the irresponsible ones??you can aswell shit on their faces because a blind man cannot lead a woman whose vision is intact.

The bolded is what the OP wants, she wants to turn on the generator and her husband braiding hair
Re: Gender Equality, The Cause Of Many Broken Families Or Not? by Nobody: 11:38pm On Mar 09, 2013
dayokanu:
The bolded is what the OP wants, she wants to turn on the generator and her husband braiding hair
OP isn't advocating gender equality. He said he believes that women should get less than men (whatever that means).
Re: Gender Equality, The Cause Of Many Broken Families Or Not? by Nobody: 11:55pm On Mar 09, 2013
byvan: The gender equality thing is pretty much something that can never be fully accepted.For peace sake,women should whole heartedly accept the leadership of a peace loving and responsible husband.If an irresponsible man pops into your life like a miserable Hiv ad icon with the aim and objective of squashing your dreams and rendering you a second class citizen,Now that's no man to submit to.

If you treat a woman with respect and love,I don't see why submission would be a problem.
But don't you see that this conditioning women to believe they are inferior and should submit is making a lot of women believe that they are not as worthy as men? Can't you see that it leads women to believe that they are not as intelligent, that they are weaklings that were meant to depend on men and never stand on their own?
It doesn't even condition women alone. It also conditions men to believe that women are beneath them and are inferior creatures. That is why a lot of men don't respect women and that is why they believe women don't have as much intellectual capacity as men. When you tell all women to submit and subject themselves to their husbands' will regardless of what type of man the husband is (even if he doesn't have leadership skills and even if he is not a rational person), you are indirectly saying that no matter who a woman is or what she is capable of, she is still not as good as any man because she must put herself under whichever man she gets married to in the end.

1 Like

Re: Gender Equality, The Cause Of Many Broken Families Or Not? by Nobody: 3:48am On Mar 10, 2013
fellis:
But don't you see that this conditioning women to believe they are inferior and should submit is making a lot of women believe that they are not as worthy as men? Can't you see that it leads women to believe that they are not as intelligent, that they are weaklings that were meant to depend on men and never stand on their own?
It doesn't even condition women alone. It also conditions men to believe that women are beneath them and are inferior creatures. That is why a lot of men don't respect women and that is why they believe women don't have as much intellectual capacity as men. When you tell all women to submit and subject themselves to their husbands' will regardless of what type of man the husband is (even if he doesn't have leadership skills and even if he is not a rational person), you are indirectly saying that no matter who a woman is or what she is capable of, she is still not as good as any man because she must put herself under whichever man she gets married to in the end.

Society did not really condition women,nature did.If men and women where destined to be the same,I don't think their physical anatomy should be different.Men and women were assigned complimentary roles as both are equally talented and Smart.A man is assigned to lead probably because he is physically stronger,women's assertive nature aids in this leadership.I don't feel any less intelligent submitting to my husband because he has proved himself worthy of efficient leadership,which is democracy.

Now a man who decides to misinterpret nature by making himself a terror is someone that can't be submitted to as he failed to understand that for you to lead,you must be willing to die for those you lead.A man that subdues his woman's intellect is no leader.If you are a christian,I guess this part of the bible is familiar to you "A man is God's glory while a woman is man's glory".Nature maybe is unfair for not letting us play in a level ground but that's the way it is.

Did I at any point say that a woman should submit to any specie of manread my last paragraph again.Leading is not barking orders,far from that,a man takes a decision,discusses it with his wife, listens to her opinion,evaluate his decision and takes a stand.The best way to avoid submission is to remain single forever,its a matter of choice.

3 Likes

Re: Gender Equality, The Cause Of Many Broken Families Or Not? by Nobody: 6:21am On Mar 10, 2013
byvan:
Society did not really condition women,nature did.If men and women where destined to be the same,I don't think their physical anatomy should be different.Men and women were assigned complimentary roles as both are equally talented and Smart.A man is assigned to lead probably because he is physically stronger,women's assertive nature aids in this leadership.I don't feel any less intelligent submitting to my husband because he has proved himself worthy of efficient leadership,which is democracy.

Now a man who decides to misinterpret nature by making himself a terror is someone that can't be submitted to as he failed to understand that for you to lead,you must be willing to die for those you lead.A man that subdues his woman's intellect is no leader.If you are a christian,I guess this part of the bible is familiar to you "A man is God's glory while a woman is man's glory".Nature maybe is unfair for not letting us play in a level ground but that's the way it is.

Did I at any point say that a woman should submit to any specie of manread my last paragraph again.Leading is not barking orders,far from that,a man takes a decision,discusses it with his wife, listens to her opinion,evaluate his decision and takes a stand.The best way to avoid submission is to remain single forever,its a matter of choice.

First you say nature assigned the leadership role to men. Then you say some men are not supposed to lead. Don't you think that is contradictory? So what you are saying in the end is that some men were assigned leadership roles and some men were not assigned leadership roles by nature while NO SINGLE WOMAN ON EARTH is capable of being a leader in the home. How does that sound to you?
Strength is not all that is required to be a leader. A person also needs intelligence, the ability to reason logically, compassion/kind heartedness, problem solving abilities, a hardworking personality and so on. Are you saying men generally excel in all these things more than women?
Physical strength alone is not all that is required for leadership. If strength was all that is needed for leadership then the presidential election campaigns in countries would involve people doing weight lifting or arm wrestling and other activities to show the citizens that they are very strong physically.
Re: Gender Equality, The Cause Of Many Broken Families Or Not? by Nobody: 6:31am On Mar 10, 2013
@byvan,
If you say that you are advocating submission by women because the Bible says so, I would understand. Just stop trying to rationalize it because it can never be rationalized.
Re: Gender Equality, The Cause Of Many Broken Families Or Not? by seyigiggle: 6:49am On Mar 10, 2013
1,000,000dislikes
carefreewannabe:

1000 likes
Re: Gender Equality, The Cause Of Many Broken Families Or Not? by Daresh(f): 8:14am On Mar 10, 2013
@Fellis submitting to your husband does not make him stronger than you. The truth is all this submit thing is just a way to massage his ego. Men and their egos. When they say submit simply do not fight and argue out a matter too much that is ALL. Choose right when you marry, a man that has no probs helping round the house and doesn't think it is beneath a man to do house work. Don't my thing nl'ers some that are making mouth here cook and wash the plates @ home. My dad cook washes his clothes so its natural for me to see my husband doing it. Submit to only ur man.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Yummy & Nutritous.Soyabeans, Gnut And Crayfish For Babies and Toddlers / Nothing / What Tribe Does The Name ALERO Come From?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.