Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,069 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:54 AM

Story: A New Dawn - Literature (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Story: A New Dawn (62648 Views)

Blood And Thunder (Dawn Of Justice) / Love Story - A Short Story / Our Love Story ...... (A Story Filled With Revenge, Love And Romance) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Story: A New Dawn by Neduzze5(m): 10:02am On Jul 01, 2013
losprince: Keep it coming! grin dude!

More of this lovely NEW DAWN.

Hmmm, don't be surprised at the twist in the next update!
Re: Story: A New Dawn by Neduzze5(m): 10:04am On Jul 01, 2013
Fame-G:
Remember to check out his pulse every five hours" he told the nurse

Neduz,Neduz evry 5hrs ke? U try.go nd consult ur mum jor.

Anyway nice story bt its becomin too sad jare, pls do sometin o

Lol... Is five hours too much? I just used my intuition. You can correct me. And don't worry, the situation is about to change.
Re: Story: A New Dawn by Neduzze5(m): 10:07am On Jul 01, 2013
Eze Promoe: Neduzze, you would have used "boarded a taxi" instead of "flagged down a bike", for it to look real to those of us living in PH. I can't remember the last time i saw commercial okada in PH city.

You really have a nice story, and the suspense makes it look good but i have a suggestion that could be of help in this story. Which is DON'T RUSH YOUR STORY! Take time to review and add some emotions to the characters.
Don't take oyestephen's Oliver Twist-like demand as pressure or obligation that you must do now or never grin

Please do ya things jejely and nwayoly! SLOW AND STEADY!

As I said before, this story was set some years ago and by then, bikes where still being used. Thanks your advice.
Re: Story: A New Dawn by MumZ(f): 12:03pm On Jul 01, 2013
Welcome bac mr man, whre d update na? N pls, mke it very long, u don 2 starve us.
Re: Story: A New Dawn by Neduzze5(m): 1:01pm On Jul 03, 2013
“Madam come buy from me na”

It was a fish seller that was trying to advertise her wares. Blessing did not have fish in her list so she nodded in the negative and moved on.

She sighted fresh vegetable leaves some distance in front of her with some buyers haggling over the price.

She walked faster in other to meet up before it would all be bought up because Nigerians no dey use eye see good things.

She picked up a sizeable bunch and sized it up with her eyes. When she felt it was a good size, she proceeded to find out the price from the seller.

“Madam, how much be this one wey I hol for hand?” she asked while showing the bunch to the seller.

The seller took it from her and after running an analysis on it with her eyes, she gave her verdict.

“Na hundred and fifty naira oh” the seller replied

“Ah, madam, e too cost now. No be eighty naira?” she asked

Her mother had tutored her very well in the act of pricing and buying goods or products. When a particular price was stated, she should not pay for it at once because the price was usually highly inflated but she should endeavour to price very well before she bought any item going down to the barest minimum price she thought was okay by her but not too low for the seller to get irritated with her.

“No madam, you know say vegetable scarce and this one na fresh vegetables. I fit give you the vegetable at one hundred and twenty naira and na the last price be that” the seller replied with a tone of finality.

It was a good price for her so she took the vegetables, wrapped them up and paid for them before moving away from there.

She scanned her list for the next item and there it was. Meat was the next item on her list so she went over to the slaughter shade.

She wanted to buy two types of meat; beef and kanda. After pricing and haggling and arguing over the price of the meat, she was able to buy a sizeable portion at One Thousand naira.

She picked up a few other things like maggi, fresh pepper, onions and one bottle of kerosene. The other ingredients she needed for the soup were at home so there was no other thing for her to buy.

As she headed out of the market, she stopped abruptly. A dress had caught her attention and she was staring admiringly at it.

“Aunty come buy from me na” it was a woman who just emerged from the shop where the dress she was staring at was hung.

Blessing walked towards the shop and felt the cloth with her hands. It was a handless yellow gown with red flowery designs on it. It was made from silk material. She fell in love with the cloth at once.

“How much is this cloth” she asked pointing at the cloth

“Madam na One Thousand Seven hundred naira oh.

Blessing first of all opened her purse to see how much remained inside after all she had bought. She counted the money inside her purse without bringing it out. It was another thing her mother had also taught her to do so that the seller wouldn’t know how much she was with because it would limit her from buying at a lower price.

In all, she had spent One thousand five hundred naira and now she had one thousand five hundred remaining.

“Madam na only eight hundred naira I hol here oh” she told the woman

“I no wan make we argue too much, give me one thousand two hundred naira only”

“I no get up to that amount oh. Okay, make I give you one thousand naira”
“Bring the money” the woman replied after a little brainstorming.

Blessing brought out a clean note of one thousand naira and gave it to her.

“Make I put am for nylon” she told Blessing and walked into the shop to get the nylon. Blessing was looking at other clothes in the shop when her eyes caught something.

Her heart began beating faster, her hands were now twitching in fright. It was as though it was contemplating on taking it or not. In a decisive move, she picked it up and threw it into her walkie talkie. She arranged her hair and tried to put a smile on her face.

“Madam no vex oh, E be like say my nylon don finish. Manage this one wey tear small” the cloth seller told her offering her the wrapped cloth.

“It’s okay, I will manage it. Thank you” she said taking the wrapped cloth and hurriedly began to leave in a bid to get away from the market as soon as possible.
Re: Story: A New Dawn by losprince(m): 3:07pm On Jul 03, 2013
undecided sooooooooooooooooooooooooo this is it
Re: Story: A New Dawn by Neduzze5(m): 3:20pm On Jul 03, 2013
losprince: undecided sooooooooooooooooooooooooo this is it

How do you mean?
Re: Story: A New Dawn by losprince(m): 3:26pm On Jul 03, 2013
Neduzze5:

How do you mean?
after all those while! you show up and drop this pea nut and expect a hand of applause *scoffs* you are not serious!
Re: Story: A New Dawn by Neduzze5(m): 3:45pm On Jul 03, 2013
losprince:
after all those while! you show up and drop this pea nut and expect a hand of applause *scoffs* you are not serious!

Lol, are you vexed? I'm still updating. That was a suspense trick.
Re: Story: A New Dawn by Neduzze5(m): 3:51pm On Jul 03, 2013
“Stop there!”

Beads of sweat began forming on her brows and her forehead. It was as though the ground should open up and swallow her.

She stopped short on her way out of the market and turned back to see who had called her.

At first, she thought that the woman had noticed that something was missing or that someone had seen her but when she turned back, she saw that it was a mad man talking gibberishly as though he was controlling traffic on the road using both his mouth and hand signals.

She heaved a sigh of relief and headed out of the market walking very briskly.

When Blessing got home, she brought out the things she bought. Then she saw it.

She brought it out from the walkie talkie, her heart missing a beat and kept it on the ground. When she had gotten the morale to open it, she opened it and there it was.

Money!

They were in different denominations, different denominations of five, ten, twenty, fifty, hundred, five hundred and one thousand naira.

She took her time to count them. In all, what she was able to get when she had finished counting everything was seventeen thousand, six hundred and twenty five naira.

It depicited a real market woman’s money that was riddled with change.

“Damn!” was the only exclamation she had to offer.

She was wondered at how easy it was for her to have pulled off such a stint without being caught.

Well, luck was very much on her side she thought to herself. She remembered how she felt after stealing the purse- a feeling that generated a biting conscience inside her.

At first, she wanted to go back and drop the purse but the consequences of doing that was unpredictable and now in the safety of her house with this huge amount of money made her feel at ease.

To steal a market woman's money was a very dangerous and risky thing to do because if caught, it could result to being lynched by an angry mob. Well, her case was a helpless situation so she had just had to do it.

She made up her mind to go to the hospital the next day and pay in an installmental payment for her father's surgery.

"To the hospital, I go by tomorrow" and she went off to begin her cooking banishing off all pricking consciences.
Re: Story: A New Dawn by Neduzze5(m): 3:53pm On Jul 03, 2013
CHAPTER SEVEN coming up next!

Thanks to everyone for keeping a date with me

And to all Nigerian Students, I say Happy Striking... This couldn't be a better time!!
Re: Story: A New Dawn by losprince(m): 4:10pm On Jul 03, 2013
Neduzze5:

Lol, are you vexed? I'm still updating. That was a suspense trick.
ok ok, nice stunt. keep it up!
Re: Story: A New Dawn by Neduzze5(m): 7:25pm On Jul 03, 2013
losprince:
ok ok, nice stunt. keep it up!

Thank you dear. Part of Chapter Seven will be updated tomorrow
Re: Story: A New Dawn by princesa(f): 8:32pm On Jul 03, 2013
embarassed
Re: Story: A New Dawn by Neduzze5(m): 8:38pm On Jul 03, 2013
princesa: embarassed

The action film part of this story is about to begin!
Re: Story: A New Dawn by Nobody: 10:45pm On Jul 03, 2013
Neduzze5:

The action film part of this story is about to begin!
When?Where?How?
Re: Story: A New Dawn by Neduzze5(m): 12:15am On Jul 04, 2013
Cute bliss: When?Where?How?

Just watch out!
Re: Story: A New Dawn by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jul 04, 2013
We dey wait o!
Re: Story: A New Dawn by Veevien(f): 12:24pm On Jul 05, 2013
Oga we still dey wait for u ooo
Re: Story: A New Dawn by Neduzze5(m): 11:47pm On Jul 05, 2013
Hmmm
Re: Story: A New Dawn by Neduzze5(m): 11:47pm On Jul 05, 2013
You guys should not get angry oh, I've not been able to write much for sometime but I'll be uploading the little I've written shortly.
Re: Story: A New Dawn by Neduzze5(m): 11:54pm On Jul 05, 2013
CHAPTER SEVEN

The next day, Blessing set out of the house with her purse around 8:30am and headed for the hospital.

In her purse was a total of twenty five thousand naira consisting of the money she had stolen and some other thousands of naira she had found in some of her father's trouser pockets.

She got to the hospital early and at that time, the hospital attendants were still cleaning up the place and the nurses that had been in charge of the night shift were all getting ready to take their leave so that the morning shift workers could come.

Without glancing at anybody, she headed straight for the doctor's office. But she was soon stopped abruptly by the receptionist.

"Excuse me young lady" the receptionist addressed her.

Blessing turned to see who had addressed her before walking towards her.

"Good morning Ma" she greeted the receptionist, a woman who might be in her late thirties politely.

"Good morning young lady, how may I help you?" the receptionist asked

"I'm here in respect of my father who was brought in here some days ago and need to see the doctor" she answered

"Well, you're a bit early and right now, the doctor is not yet on seat. But you can sit here and wait for him" the receptionist replied while motioning her to a settee.

"Can I go ahead and see my father?" she asked as an afterthought

"What ward is he in?"

"He was placed in the Accident and Emergency Unit"

"Matron" the receptionist called out to a nurse that was in the reception room.

"Yes dear, the nurse answered

"Please help me take this young lady to the A & E unit" she requested politely.

"Your wish is my command" the matron replied smiling

"So can we get going?" the matron asked addressing Blessing

"Yes" she answered with a sullen look on her face.

The matron led the way silently to the ward.
Re: Story: A New Dawn by Aghagba(f): 7:25am On Jul 06, 2013
Neduzze pls cm nd update o.i can't stay silent 4 ever o.oya am beggn u nw o cm and update
Re: Story: A New Dawn by Neduzze5(m): 10:24am On Jul 06, 2013
Aghagba: Neduzze pls cm nd update o.i can't stay silent 4 ever o.oya am beggn u nw o cm and update

I'll try to update today. Thanks for coming out of your shell!! angry
Re: Story: A New Dawn by Neduzze5(m): 10:29am On Jul 06, 2013
Veevien: Oga we still dey wait for u ooo

Cash matterz: We dey wait o!

Una don dey okay abi??
Re: Story: A New Dawn by Neduzze5(m): 10:32pm On Jul 07, 2013
So tired after a stressful day. Can't fit update tonight. See you guys tomorrow!!

grin
Re: Story: A New Dawn by losprince(m): 1:06am On Jul 08, 2013
I'm done with THIS!!!!!! *pushing the unfollow button*
Re: Story: A New Dawn by Neduzze5(m): 8:34am On Jul 08, 2013
losprince: I'm done with THIS!!!!!! *pushing the unfollow button*

Oga na vex? Haba... You no fit cut me some slack like the one we you dey cut for Princesa?
Re: Story: A New Dawn by Neduzze5(m): 8:35am On Jul 08, 2013
Good morning peepz, una don chop??

Take this one use hol belle jare!! grin
Re: Story: A New Dawn by Neduzze5(m): 8:59am On Jul 08, 2013
Blessing walked over to where her father was laid and knelt down at the bedside.

Her heart was rent with sorrow looking at him in such a pitiable state with gashes and bandages on different sides of his body.

His head was carrying a huge plaster so also was his right shoulder. His left leg was suspended upwards with a bandage and his right knee was grazed.

So far, the hospital had done a very good job. It was now her turn to play her own part by paying for the surgery. She took her father's hand into her hands and held onto them as though they were her source of life.

It was then that the tears began to flow freely. The matron that had accompanied her whose name was Grace had been watching this ensuing drama all along.

Grace was a well built and beautiful lady probably in her early 30's. Although she was a nurse who was supposed to be able to emotionally control herself than most people due to the sensitive nature of her job, she wasn't able to control her tears this time.

Watching the poor little girl cry was heart rending. The way she cried made the matron remember the way she had cried when she had lost her very first son to the dreaded polio attack.

She had just gotten married and was thinking of furthering her education in one of the Agricultural fields but when that incident occurred, she made up her mind to study nursing. She therefore attended the renowned School of Nursing, Emekuku in Imo state where she bagged a degree in Nursing.

"It's okay dear" she said pulling Blessing away from where she knelt and embracing her.

"Don't worry, I will take special care of him" Grace continued.

"Thank you very much" Blessing said gathering up the gown she was wearing but still crying.

They both walked back together to the reception hall chatting in indistinct tones.

"Thank you once again Ma" was all the receptionist heard before they appeared out of the corridor that led to the different words in the hospital.

"The doctor is here already" the receptionist addressed Blessing when they got close to her.

"Is he in the office?" she asked to be sure.

"Yes" the receptionist replied and continued "go in through this corridor" she said pointing at it "the first door..."

She didn't finish before Blessing cut her short

"I've been there before so I know my way around" she said giving the receptionist a little smile.

She then thanked the receptionist and Grace once again before proceeding to the doctor's office.

At the door of the doctor's office, Blessing used her handkerchief to blow her nose and rearranged her hair before knocking at the door.

"Come in" a hoarse voice from within the office responded

The doctor was perusing through the mails he had received that morning when she entered.

"Good morning Sir" she greeted.

"Good morning" he greeted without looking up from the mail he was reading.

She took that time to study the man in front of her. He had bald hair, that was one thing she had not noticed the first time she had come to his office. He had a well shaven beard that made him look younger than his age.

He was dark in complexion but not the pitch black darkness. All these combinations gave him one cute quality: handsomeness. His white long sleeve shirt and red tie also gave him a tinge of cuteness.

She had been staring and assessing him to the extent that she didn't see when he raised his head from the mail in front of him and looked at her. She was too lost in her thoughts.

"Yes young lady, how may I help you" he asked breaking into her thoughts.

"Go... Good mor... Morning Sir" she stammered like someone who had been caught stealing meat from her mother's pot of soup by her mother and forgetting that she had greeted him before.

That kind of stammer that says something different from what you were doing when you were caught. Something like "I was not stealing the meat. I was only trying to check if it has spoilt" A soup that was cooked some few hours ago. Which kin lie be that?? SMH for some people!!
Re: Story: A New Dawn by laykhorn(m): 11:37am On Jul 08, 2013
you have an amazingly iinteresting story here even though its a bit of too much trajedy but I do hope it ends well.

But

SomeThing is annoying about this...

You know it

Your short updates in relation to time taken.. Give-out more
Re: Story: A New Dawn by Neduzze5(m): 2:01pm On Jul 08, 2013
laykhorn: you have an amazingly iinteresting story here even though its a bit of too much trajedy but I do hope it ends well.

But

SomeThing is annoying about this...

You know it

Your short updates in relation to time taken.. Give-out more

Yeah, at first I was updating constantly unt I went back to school. Now there's ASUU strike so I'll be more constant. Thanks for following and thanks for reading.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (19) (Reply)

Chimamanda Adichie: 16 Things You Did Not Know About Her / More Than A Friend (A Story By Olasunkanmi Ajibola) / Divided Emotions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.