Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,390 members, 7,815,833 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 07:07 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 - Travel (113) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 (487508 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) (115) (116) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 4:59pm On Jun 08, 2013
flynbird:

Oh! ok.... Thanks. So I don't have to email them any longer after he has made the payment right? But wouldn't Western Union ask for his ID before he could send money or is it just for receivers only

At the western outlet,

Fill the form (though paying SEVIS isn't straight forward like the form described except if they usually paid SEVIS fee in the outlet) >>> Give them the amount to be paid >>> They run the system and come back with your MTCN. Shikena!

Nothing like ID card, he is paying and not collecting.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by ystd4567: 4:59pm On Jun 08, 2013
WoW! Pages are filling up quite fast. This is quite interesting and cool.

@amefrica,

You just have to hope and pray that the VO won't have any reason to look into your DV lottery history which in most cases they don't look into. I could remember an experience I read up back on this thread(I think part 1 or 2, can't really remember), the VO looked into the applicant's DV lottery history. So, I guess something like that happens occasionally. Just be positive!

@flynbird

Bigfranc and imperiouxx has highlighted all the info you need, I bet you wouldn't find anymore detailed info than this on the "fmjfee" website.
In addition, I would advice you opt for the western union mode of payment because it's quite straightforward. Just have a good look at the pdf sample format to know the necessary info you'll have to send to the individual that will make the payment on your behalf and send the pdf sample format to the individual to enable him/her know how to fill the form and where to insert the info you provided. Also, you can use your online sevis fee receipt printout for your visa interview should your original receipt don't arrive before your interview. As for the ID; to my best of knowledge, I doubt if any form of identification is required to make payment.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by mrswagger: 5:14pm On Jun 08, 2013
@Hello house, please I need your help on this;

I have a quick question to ask
you regarding this Relative in US issue because I'm
learning alot here so I want to learn somethings
before I fill my DS 160 online apllication.

I have relatives in US, they are US citizens, they
happen to be my uncle's children and my cousins.

The Issue here is that we are not even in close
contact. They don't even know where we live, and
they don't care to know. We are not close like that.

We hardly talk to them. I hope u undastand my point here. And we share the same Surname.

So when filling the Online DS 160 form, if asked if I
have any relatives in US, what should be my
response?

Thnks every1, waitin for ur anticipated response.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 5:31pm On Jun 08, 2013
mr swagger:

@BigFrancis, Xup bro, I have a quick question to ask you regarding this Relative in US issue because I'm learning alot here so I want to learn somethings before I fill my DS 160 online apllication.

I have relatives in US, they are US citizens, they happen to be my uncle's children and my cousins.

The Issue here is that we are not even in close contact. They don't even know where we live, and they don't care to know. We are not close like that.
We are not close with them like that. We hardly talk to them. I hope u undastand my point here. And we share the same Surname.

So when filling the Online DS 160 form, if asked if I have any relatives in US, what should be my response bro?

Thnks, waitin for ur anticipated response.

Capital NO. A relative as defined by the US immigration law refers to your direct sibling or step-sibling, father, mother, step-parent, spouse or child. Any of the mentioned people is eligible by law to file for the green card for you and are your relatives. If you don't have any of the above-mentioned people in the US then your answer should be 'No'.

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by flynbird(f): 5:31pm On Jun 08, 2013
imperiouxx:

At the western outlet,

Fill the form (though paying SEVIS isn't straight forward like the form described except if they usually paid SEVIS fee in the outlet) >>> Give them the amount to be paid >>> They run the system and come back with your MTCN. Shikena!

Nothing like ID card, he is paying and not collecting.

Thank you sir imperioxx, Big francis, ystd4567 etc. Appreciate it. God bless you all
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 5:35pm On Jun 08, 2013
flynbird:

Oh! ok.... Thanks. So I don't have to email them any longer after he has made the payment right? But wouldn't Western Union ask for his ID before he could send money or is it just for receivers only

flynbird:

Thanks dear! So he'll fill out his own First name, Last name, Address and Phone number on the form. Then after he's done I'll send an e-mail to fmjfee.sevis@ice.dhs.gov with subject INFO CHANGE in the subject line and Include the SEVIS ID and my own details right? I hope its this way. Just want it done right without mistakes. Thanks

No, he doesn't have to unless asked. Which is less likely. The instruction said 'may'. Its not compulsory he fills out his own name when paying for you because as stated on the page, someone else is allowed to pay on your behalf, using the student's full name and not the payee's full name. You get?

imperiouxx:
NEVER!

He'll fill your names and everything about you (detail) but the address Western Union will accept is the one from where the money is paid (i.e his address). So, he will be getting the receipt in his house and send it to you in Nigeria. I paid this 2 times last year and 1 this year.

Imperiouxx has reiterated my point. As supposed, your own names and his address should be used first. Only if demanded otherwise by WU should your cousin use his name (which is less likely) and later you change it by sending the email.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 5:37pm On Jun 08, 2013
bigfrancis21:

The instruction said 'may'. Its not compulsory he fills out his own name when paying for you because as stated on the page, someone else is allowed to pay on your behalf, using the student's full name and not the payee's full name. You get?

Oh, didn't read your advise for her. I won't have contradicted it if I had known you told her the change of name stuff.

I paid using my address and have it sent to the owner after getting the receipt in my place.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 6:12pm On Jun 08, 2013
imperiouxx:

Oh, didn't read your advise for her. I won't have contradicted it if I had known you told her the change of name stuff.

I paid using my address and have it sent to the owner after getting the receipt in my place.

No ish.
Any luck with your job search?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by mrswagger: 6:14pm On Jun 08, 2013
bigfrancis21:

Capital NO. A relative as defined by the US immigration law refers to your direct sibling or step-sibling, father, mother, step-parent, spouse or child. Any of the mentioned people is eligible by law to file for the green card for you and are your relatives. If you don't have any of the above-mentioned people in the US then your answer should be 'No'.

Thnx bro.. I appreciate this alot.. FULLY noted
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by honourableseyi: 6:16pm On Jun 08, 2013
Please can anybody give me an insight into what it looks like in Texas, Alvin to be precise? I was given an admission there but i don't really know anything about the state than the one I'm reading online. Is it a good environment for International students? What is the job prospect and their standard of living? thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by imperiouxx(m): 6:32pm On Jun 08, 2013
bigfrancis21:

No ish.
Any luck with your job search?

Working as research assistant as usual and OPT hunt will start soon.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by bigfrancis21: 7:15pm On Jun 08, 2013
imperiouxx:

Ok bro. Jisie ike.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Kunsoft(m): 8:05pm On Jun 08, 2013
flynbird: Hi guys. Been away for a while. Bigfrancis, imperioxx and co... My I-20 is on its way. I'll be paying my Visa fee next week. Now my problem is paying my SEVIS fee. I have a cousin in the Uk and one in Malaysia. I'll like to know which of them would be in the best position to help me pay the $200 Sevis fee. I can't stand the stress of going to cotounu. What details would either of them need to pay my service fee. And would they need to send me some sort of receipt through post? Or I just need some online print out to take to the embassy?

My dear, I went to cotonou to pay mine it was not funny. I have to change my $200 to cfa. I was ask to pay about 116,000cfa. Hmm I was directed to where to change the money. I have to add about 6,000 naira equivalent to 18,000cfa as bank charges to the $200 to make it 116,000cfa. The stress is not much sha. I paid on friday and I checked the website on tuesday and saw my details. It cost me about 5k for transport and crossing boarder.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Kunsoft(m): 8:05pm On Jun 08, 2013
flynbird: Hi guys. Been away for a while. Bigfrancis, imperioxx and co... My I-20 is on its way. I'll be paying my Visa fee next week. Now my problem is paying my SEVIS fee. I have a cousin in the Uk and one in Malaysia. I'll like to know which of them would be in the best position to help me pay the $200 Sevis fee. I can't stand the stress of going to cotounu. What details would either of them need to pay my service fee. And would they need to send me some sort of receipt through post? Or I just need some online print out to take to the embassy?

My dear, I went to cotonou to pay mine it was not funny. I have to change my $200 to cfa. I was ask to pay about 116,000cfa. Hmm I was directed to where to change the money. I have to add about 6,000 naira equivalent to 18,000cfa as bank charges to the $200 to make it 116,000cfa. The stress is not much sha. I paid on friday and I checked the website on tuesday and saw my details. It cost me about 5k for transport and crossing boarder.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 8:07pm On Jun 08, 2013
Please Pals help me out on this.
I would like to have a name of a university where a Nigerian can study medicine and surgery as an undergraduate student. The name of the University and her website would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by smithjanetstore: 8:31pm On Jun 08, 2013
@flynbird, ill rather advice you follow Kunsoft payments steps. Its a bit stressfull nd very easy, most of the bank workers at cotonou knows very well what sevis fee payment is all about jst walk in to a bank that works with "WU" ECOBANK is even the best option show them ur intl pp nd ur i-20 form thats all, i ll advice to make the payments urself because telling ur relatives in uk/malaysia may lead to some certain error,

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by smithjanetstore: 8:32pm On Jun 08, 2013
Google is ur best friend brov
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by wabiwabi91: 8:34pm On Jun 08, 2013
maxwello.yg:
Please Pals help me out on this.
I would like to have a name of a university where a Nigerian can study medicine and surgery as an undergraduate student. The name of the University and her website would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Hey there,

I don't think it is possible to study medicine as an undergrad in the USA. I believe that in the States, you study something related to medicine as an undergraduate (example: Biochemistry) then go to Medical school. I might, however, be wrong.

I know that in Germany it is possible to study medicine as an undergrad straight and you don't have to learn German. Someone I know is considering doing that.

I'd like to wish all those who have their interviews coming up this month the best of luck (I'm one of them).
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by ystd4567: 8:48pm On Jun 08, 2013
@maxwello.yg,

To my best of knowledge, international students/non permanent residents/non citizens are not eligible to study medicine in the USA. I know well of some european countries where you have this option of studying medicine available, you should explore this option.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Puvguy: 7:24am On Jun 09, 2013
OjaP:
No, you are not on your own. We are always here to help each other. That you were denied six years ago doesn't mean you won't get it this time, a lot of things have changed since the last time you visited the embassy. You have decided to stay in Nigeria for your BSc which shows you are not even desperate to come to America. Coming for a master degree now makes sense and you are fine. Many people have used companies account and got their visas. Each person with his/her own peculiar case. I wouldn't use a company account though but that on its own is not a red flag.

Congratulations on your admission, MPH is so good. Don't you like the Environmental Health and Safety concentration (EH&S)?? It is big money.

Brother Ojap, I will like you to expand on the bold. I have a cousin who is very interest in this field. Thank you.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by chatdare(m): 12:05pm On Jun 09, 2013
chatdare:

@ 0jap, thanks for ur responce,I actually graduated with a cgpa of 2.31,economics education.
I have tried making research of school that can offer me admission for a masters or a top-up degree,but all are to no avail.plz can you help me with schools that can offer me admission based on what I have ?
@ 0jap, am still waiting for ur response...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by odowetalu(m): 12:08pm On Jun 09, 2013
Guys I applied to a community college last year paid the SEVIS fee but didn't get the visa. I have now reapplied to a different university and I'm wondering if I should pay the fee again because the last one hasn't expired. My I20 number is now different also. Please my ogas at the top advice. My interview is fast approaching
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by chatdare(m): 12:11pm On Jun 09, 2013
imperiouxx:

@Imperiouxx,can I be admitted for masters/pgd with a third class degree from Nigerian uni. Or is there any thing like top up degree in the us skools?
Plz anybody with idea on this should help a bro out.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by fideliajohn(f): 1:11pm On Jun 09, 2013
Please house, I used the wrong SEVIS number to book my appointment. Please how can I update the correct SEVIS number.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by Nobody: 2:33pm On Jun 09, 2013
fidelia.john:
Please house, I used the wrong SEVIS number to book my appointment. Please how can I update the correct SEVIS number.

I hope dey avnt sent ur receipt in the mail. Send them an email - fmjfee.sevis@dhs.gov
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by kunlebal(m): 3:07pm On Jun 09, 2013
OjaP:

There are good schools who accept between 2.3 - 2.4/4.0(third class) depending on major. More reason why I asked for his proposed major.

AND No, it is not Walden Uni, Everest Uni, Devry or Phoenix.

Please house it is possible for me to get admission into a school in usa without writing TOEFL or SAT, for master in Finance. Am a graduate of accounting with CGPA of 3:20, working presently in an automobile company here in nigeria. Please house I need your responses
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by honourableseyi: 3:09pm On Jun 09, 2013
honourableseyi: Please can anybody give me an insight into what it looks like in Texas, Alvin to be precise? I was given an admission there but i don't really know anything about the state than the one I'm reading online. Is it a good environment for International students? What is the job prospect and their standard of living? thanks

Please house, I am still waiting for your reply concerning this post. Please kindly help me out, it is very urgent
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by kunlebal(m): 3:27pm On Jun 09, 2013
kunlebal:

Please house it is possible for me to get admission into a school in usa without writing TOEFL or SAT, for master in Finance. Am a graduate of accounting with CGPA of 3:20, working presently in an automobile company here in nigeria. Please house I need your responses

Please house am waiting for your response
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by babsharon(m): 3:45pm On Jun 09, 2013
kunlebal:

Yeah it is possible !!! If you would listen I will advice you take the test for you †̥o have edge in many schools that are affordable and also for embassy purpose.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by babsharon(m): 3:48pm On Jun 09, 2013
honourableseyi:

Please house, I am still waiting for your reply concerning this post. Please kindly help me out, it is very urgent

Texas is α good state with low cost of living, u will enjoy the place.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by smithjanetstore: 3:48pm On Jun 09, 2013
@kunlebal SAT&TOEFL exams is for UNDERGRADUATE, while GRE&GMAT is for student going for masters since you said u re a graduate i think the best exam for you to take is GMAT&TOEFL you must write at least a standardized test. TOEFL is nt as that compulsory for you,

Au revoir
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part4 by lisadem: 3:59pm On Jun 09, 2013
kunlebal:

You will still need to check with you school of choice on the requirement(s). Well, since you are going for Masters, I don't think SAT is needed. You might only be required to write GRE/GMAT and TOEFL/IELTS.
Your cgpa isn't bad as some good US schools only require a gp of 3.00 out of 4.00 and yours should be at that range when converted.
My candid advice is that you take a standardised test for the sake of the interview as that boosts your chances. Although there are people that didn't write and got the visa, you stand a good chance if you do as the VO sees you as a serious student. Others will add to this... I rest my case. My 2 KOBO

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) (115) (116) ... (401)

U.S Visit: Port Of Entry Interview/stories. / Travelling To Canada Part 3 / I Am A U.S. Consular Officer: Ask Me Your Visa Questions.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.