Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,957 members, 7,952,851 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 05:43 AM

Were You Threatened With Ojuju Calabar Story? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Were You Threatened With Ojuju Calabar Story? (9420 Views)

Husband Beats And Threatened To Pour Hot Water On Wife When Denied Sex / Ojuju Calabar: Why Do Children Use That Word When They Are Afraid Of Dark? / "Ojuju Calabar" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Were You Threatened With Ojuju Calabar Story? by jeffizy(m): 9:28pm On Mar 20, 2013
Back in the days, when mum didnt have enough juice in her voice to cut our childish antics and dad was out of the house, all she had to do was to warn us "ojuju n bo" - (ojuju dey come) and we knew better than to continue our silly acts.
Were u ever threatened with the ojuju story and why do they call it ojuju calabar?
Re: Were You Threatened With Ojuju Calabar Story? by baby124: 9:34pm On Mar 20, 2013
Masquerade. Calabar people seem to have a lot of masquerades and take those festivals to another level.

The masquerades are scary looking.

Would you have been scared of Eyo? cheesy
Re: Were You Threatened With Ojuju Calabar Story? by jeffizy(m): 9:42pm On Mar 20, 2013
^^lol. I never knew where the origin of ojuju came from. But i promise to pass the ojuju mystry down to my kids too.

3 Likes

Re: Were You Threatened With Ojuju Calabar Story? by slimyem: 9:46pm On Mar 20, 2013
I doubt there any Nigerian child bred in Nigeria that wasn't threatened with "Ojuju"undecided

1 Like

Re: Were You Threatened With Ojuju Calabar Story? by biolabee(m): 9:46pm On Mar 20, 2013
they have beautiful masquerades

1 Like

Re: Were You Threatened With Ojuju Calabar Story? by Nobody: 9:51pm On Mar 20, 2013
biolabee: they have beautiful masquerades
Have you seen the akwa Ibom ones, all naked and painted in charcoal grin.

But they cover their thingy with leaves...scary I tell you.
Re: Were You Threatened With Ojuju Calabar Story? by Evergreen4(m): 10:20pm On Mar 20, 2013
MEMORIES!!!, any pikin wen e mama, papa, siblings, or peers no scare wit ojuju calabar mis somtin oooo

2 Likes

Re: Were You Threatened With Ojuju Calabar Story? by ferhyntorlah(f): 11:54pm On Mar 20, 2013
It's not just Ojuju Calabar, even Dracula was used to scare me.

Ojuju Calabar
Iyo yo, iyo yo

1 Like

Re: Were You Threatened With Ojuju Calabar Story? by greatgod2012(f): 12:51am On Mar 21, 2013
Im still using it to scare my youngest kid, and sometimes, when im very busy and wouldnt want to be disturbed, i asks my oldest kid to do "ojuju calabar" for others, he will use one black piece of cloth to cover his face, hold on a stick and speaking with cracked voice, believe me, they will run inside their rooms, and most of the time sleep off as a result of too much closing of their eyes......lol grin.....
And sometimes, when "actions" is to take place, especially b4 night, my hubby use to tell the kids not to enter our room, because one "ojuju calabar" is hiding therein......lol, little kids sha......
May God forgive all of us.

10 Likes

Re: Were You Threatened With Ojuju Calabar Story? by jeffizy(m): 6:55am On Mar 21, 2013
ferhyntorlah: It's not just Ojuju Calabar, even Dracula was used to scare me.

Ojuju Calabar
Iyo yo, iyo yo
The bolded will make any kid soil his/her coloured pant.
Re: Were You Threatened With Ojuju Calabar Story? by jeffizy(m): 6:56am On Mar 21, 2013
ferhyntorlah: It's not just Ojuju Calabar, even Dracula was used to scare me.

Ojuju Calabar
Iyo yo, iyo yo
Re: Were You Threatened With Ojuju Calabar Story? by slimyem: 8:17am On Mar 21, 2013
greatgod2012: Im still using it to scare my youngest kid, and sometimes, when im very busy and wouldnt want to be disturbed, i asks my oldest kid to do "ojuju calabar" for others, he will use one black piece of cloth to cover his face, hold on a stick and speaking with cracked voice, believe me, they will run inside their rooms, and most of the time sleep off as a result of too much closing of their eyes......lol grin.....
And sometimes, when "actions" is to take place, especially b4 night, my hubby use to tell the kids not to enter our room, because one "ojuju calabar" is hiding therein......lol, little kids sha......
May God forgive all of us.
shockedshockedshockedshockedcheesy
Re: Were You Threatened With Ojuju Calabar Story? by Born2beRich1(m): 12:34pm On Mar 21, 2013
This brings back memories...Ojuju calabar stories was used by parents to control the children from misbehaving or going outside late in the night
Re: Were You Threatened With Ojuju Calabar Story? by Nobody: 12:35pm On Mar 21, 2013
Lol, willy willy made this story very potent in my life.
Re: Were You Threatened With Ojuju Calabar Story? by strangest(m): 12:39pm On Mar 21, 2013
haha.. just argued with my little niece between Ojuju Calabar and Spiderman... who is stronger... I told her Ojuju Calabar, she called me a liar..

1 Like

Re: Were You Threatened With Ojuju Calabar Story? by gbanikiti(m): 12:40pm On Mar 21, 2013
I wasn't threatened at all! infact me and my siblings lived with the scary story. My neigbour back in those days were calabar people and they had this big thing doll that looked exactly like their masquerade. they used it to design their living room. It was kept in a show glass and was operated with electricity. It moved round the whole house with a long cane and whipped anyone it saw close by.
Re: Were You Threatened With Ojuju Calabar Story? by Nobody: 12:40pm On Mar 21, 2013
Aaaaah! Yes na! grin
"Madam koi koi" and "bush baby"

3 Likes

Re: Were You Threatened With Ojuju Calabar Story? by Omen100(m): 12:46pm On Mar 21, 2013
yes of cause but back then, our was omote-pupul grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Were You Threatened With Ojuju Calabar Story? by Akshow: 12:50pm On Mar 21, 2013
duuuuuuuh! who was'nt?
Re: Were You Threatened With Ojuju Calabar Story? by ichidodo: 12:55pm On Mar 21, 2013
WILLY WILLY and AYAMATANGA fear me pass up till now i still get goosebumps thinking about them
Re: Were You Threatened With Ojuju Calabar Story? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 1:05pm On Mar 21, 2013
Mine was kukulaja (someone who covers the whole body with a white cloth & applies a white powder on the face).
But I no dey fear anything! Cos I be irúmolè.

1 Like

Re: Were You Threatened With Ojuju Calabar Story? by bigt2(m): 1:08pm On Mar 21, 2013
I was threathened with either KUKULAJA or AYAMATANGA when i was a chirrruping infant imbibing in the lesser jewels or my mother's glittering wisdom!
Re: Were You Threatened With Ojuju Calabar Story? by huninaija(f): 1:09pm On Mar 21, 2013
What is ojuju? Is it a toy??
Re: Were You Threatened With Ojuju Calabar Story? by engrhorla(m): 1:13pm On Mar 21, 2013
Na Olukoko wey my pple use 4 me o. But dis Ojuju Calabar no dey work again jo
Re: Were You Threatened With Ojuju Calabar Story? by engrhorla(m): 1:16pm On Mar 21, 2013
huni_naija: What is ojuju? Is it a toy??
Ao old are u?
Re: Were You Threatened With Ojuju Calabar Story? by alaura: 1:23pm On Mar 21, 2013
Yes oh lol. They still use it on kids today. If u don't want them to go or touch someti,jusr threaten them with ojuju calabar
Re: Were You Threatened With Ojuju Calabar Story? by Dygeasy(m): 1:26pm On Mar 21, 2013
gbanikiti: I wasn't threatened at all! infact me and my siblings lived with the scary story. My neigbour back in those days were calabar people and they had this big thing doll that looked exactly like their masquerade. they used it to design their living room. It was kept in a show glass and was operated with electricity. It moved round the whole house with a long cane and whipped anyone it saw close by.
and it was in a show-glass?

1 Like

Re: Were You Threatened With Ojuju Calabar Story? by olamie1906: 1:27pm On Mar 21, 2013
Ojuju Calabar... I can't forget a day I was playing with my jnr. brother and a muslim woman(elehaa) was coming infront me. Unknowing, to me I told my brother dat i'll call ojuju for you and d woman took it as if i was talking to her. Ojuju calabar is just a crazy childhood joke...
Re: Were You Threatened With Ojuju Calabar Story? by AkinDavid2: 1:28pm On Mar 21, 2013
Depending on when and where you were born oo..
Re: Were You Threatened With Ojuju Calabar Story? by nbright: 1:39pm On Mar 21, 2013
Ojuju calabar, willy willy, ayamatanga, ekpo
Re: Were You Threatened With Ojuju Calabar Story? by Pain(m): 1:41pm On Mar 21, 2013
That Na Old School. Na BH dey reign now!

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Do People Deactivate And Return? / At What Point, After Losing A Loved One In Death, Do You Delete Their Number? / Help I Think I Might Be Pregnant!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.