Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,219 members, 7,825,822 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 12:42 AM

Soyinka: Alamieyeseigha’s Pardon, Symbol Of Corrupt Mentality - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soyinka: Alamieyeseigha’s Pardon, Symbol Of Corrupt Mentality (11205 Views)

Patience Jonathan’s Look At Alamieyeseigha's Service Of Song (Pictured) / Update On Diepreye Alamieyeseigha’s Death / Buhari Plans Mass Retirement Of Corrupt Military Leaders (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Soyinka: Alamieyeseigha’s Pardon, Symbol Of Corrupt Mentality by AjanleKoko: 12:31pm On Mar 21, 2013
All the billions of dollars stolen by GEJ, Alams, and their cohort of illiterate and greedy mo.rons can't buy up to a percent of the global respect commanded by the likes of Soyinka and Achebe.

3 Likes

Re: Soyinka: Alamieyeseigha’s Pardon, Symbol Of Corrupt Mentality by oolumide: 12:31pm On Mar 21, 2013
You know I laughed when SS people tribalized issue of jonathan criticism. When the whole south west supported him in 2011 they didnt realised that he was from SS. What a shame

3 Likes

Re: Soyinka: Alamieyeseigha’s Pardon, Symbol Of Corrupt Mentality by Nathaniel734: 12:36pm On Mar 21, 2013
even more than a corrupt mentality, it was so miscalculated
Re: Soyinka: Alamieyeseigha’s Pardon, Symbol Of Corrupt Mentality by Tolexander: 12:44pm On Mar 21, 2013
deletrue: while it is very annoying considering this unwarranted pardon, why do you think soyinka is so reasonable, responsible and special? Do you remember when he was asked to head the federal road commission? When he was requesting for fire arms, this and that? Do you also remember that these things were made available to him yet he resigned after serving few months?
i won't engage in discussing on a conjectural crap!
deletrue: as usual, he is found of talking people down from both sides of his big mouth, who offer to serve in this time when nigerians are more and more complex. Why did he not take pains to bear and serve. Am not surprised considering the characteristics of typcal yoruba man. Lazy things
he is a nobel, so it will be ridiculous to descend so low to serve.
Typical lazy yoruba man:
Obasanjosadfeb 13, 1976- sep 30, 1979) 11years, 7months, 17days
Ernest Shonekan: (august 26 1993-november 17 1993) 2months, 21days
Re: Soyinka: Alamieyeseigha’s Pardon, Symbol Of Corrupt Mentality by Fussbot: 1:25pm On Mar 21, 2013
ochukoccna: I voted for Jonathan not for PDP shocked shocked shocked
^^^^^^^^^^

Where are the braindead mumus who once advocated the above?
me tinks u should create a thread on dis rili.....
Re: Soyinka: Alamieyeseigha’s Pardon, Symbol Of Corrupt Mentality by usoofdbest: 2:15pm On Mar 21, 2013
2iic: The Nobel Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, has described the state pardon granted a former governor of Bayelsa State, Diepreye Alamieyeseigha, by President Goodluck Jonathan, as an act of impunity and a symbol of corrupt mentality.

Also,the Nigerian Bar Association on Wednesday described the pardon as a bad signal in the anti-corruption campaign.

Alamieyeseigha, who was convicted of corruption charges, was pardoned alongside other ex-convicts, including Shettima Bulama, Lt. General Oladipo Diya, Major-General Tajudeen Olanrewaju, the late Major General Musa Yar’Adua and the late Major-General Abdukareem Adisa.

Soyinka, on Wednesday, lent his voice to those of civil society groups, international community and individuals who had stridently condemned the President’s action.

He spoke in Lagos during a programme ushering in the Lagos Black Heritage Festival.

Referring to a statement made by the Special Adviser to President Jonathan on Media, Dr. Reuben Abati, who had, on a TV programme, described those who are criticising Jonathan over the matter as suffering from “sophisticated ignorance”, Soyinka said he did not mind being called such a name for bearing his mind on the state pardon.

“On the state pardon granted the former governor, I want to join the bandwagon of the ignorant persons. I am happy to be counted among them. For me, this kind of impunity is not unconnected to the controversy, which has been surrounding the N4bn allocation being sought by the First Lady Mission. It is part of the same corrupt mentality,” he said.

The renowned writer added that it was also disappointing that some ministers had given contradictory interpretations to the object of the pardon.

Soyinka said it was not right for Jonathan to lump Alamieyeseigha’s case with those of the other people granted pardon alongside him.

According to him, the cases of other ex-convicts were largely political, as evident in the antics of the late Sanni Abacha junta that implicated them in a controversial coup.

The Nobel laureate said, “What is going on right now gives the picture of a government that is floundering and justifying the unjustifiable. It amounts to encouragement of corruption. The felon is wanted by the United States Government. We have a case of an officer of the law – a governor – who went to another country and broke the law of the nation. He jumped bail.

“I believe that such a person does not deserve a state pardon. So, I have joined the league of the ignorant persons condemning the act. I criticise and deplore President Jonathan for granting pardon to the former governor.”

Reacting to the development after inaugurating the web-portal of the NBA in Abuja, NBA President, Mr. Okey Wali, SAN, said the presidential pardon had sent a bad signal in the war on corruption.

But he also noted that Jonathan acted within his constitutional powers.

“It is no doubt a moral issue; it is a bad signal in the fight against corruption.”

Noting that the President’s action was constitutional, in line with the provisions of section 175 of the 1999 Constitution, Wali added, “Nigerians have made their feelings known.”

He also reacted to plans by the Federal Government to finally remove the subsidy on petroleum products.

Jonathan had, at the Nigerian Economic Summit in Lagos on Wednesday, said the Federal Government would still remove fuel subsidy.

The NBA has, however, asked the Federal Government to fulfill its promise to implement far-reaching palliative measures before the final removal of fuel subsidy in the country.

The NBA President urged the Federal Government to make good its promise to implement some palliative measures in order to alleviate the hardship imposed on Nigerians as a result of the hike in the price of petroleum products.

Wali said, “We believe that the government will fulfill its promise to Nigerians.

“The NBA still has not seen much of the promise but we strongly believe that they will keep to their word by putting all the necessary infrastructure in place before taking any further action on fuel subsidy.”

Wali aso said the NBA was committed to enforcing discipline in the legal profession.

Features of the web portal include the full list of all the lawyers called to the Bar, as registered in the Supreme Court from the pre-Independence days till date.

It also contains the profiles of over 25,000 active lawyers, who have carried out their verification exercise, as directed by the NBA in 2011.

http://www.punchng.com/news/alamieyeseighas-pardon-symbol-of-corrupt-mentality-soyinka-nba/
THIS IS CORRUPTION VS THE STATE.WE SHOULD ALL RISE AN CONDEMNED IT IN TOTALITY.SOYINKA HAVE SPOKEN THE MIND OF MANY NIGERIANS
Re: Soyinka: Alamieyeseigha’s Pardon, Symbol Of Corrupt Mentality by Stalemate(m): 2:16pm On Mar 21, 2013
ifihearam:

Did you finish JSS 3?
See who is asking and callingg my president mumu
You can't even spell petroleum correctly. Mtcheeewww
As a matter of fact, his expression is arrantly palpabe nd decodable. If he made a mistake in spelling, dat doesn't mean he doesn't understand the way things are going in this country. I also think u're one of the association of scumbag led by ur deluded and bewildered f**l.. Mistcheeew.... angry
Re: Soyinka: Alamieyeseigha’s Pardon, Symbol Of Corrupt Mentality by EagleNest(m): 2:16pm On Mar 21, 2013
Quite obvious that GEJ committed a serious blunder. Would never value his talks anymore.
Hopefully in 2015 he will be humiliated and bundled back to Otueke so that we'll have a relief and re-build what he has damaged.
Re: Soyinka: Alamieyeseigha’s Pardon, Symbol Of Corrupt Mentality by usoofdbest: 2:17pm On Mar 21, 2013
ifihearam: I now see why Prince Afegbua said Wole Soyinka is suffering from mental cirrhosis.

FOR SPEAKING THE TRUTH
Re: Soyinka: Alamieyeseigha’s Pardon, Symbol Of Corrupt Mentality by Nobody: 2:34pm On Mar 21, 2013
Re: Soyinka: Alamieyeseigha’s Pardon, Symbol Of Corrupt Mentality by Princeemzzy(m): 2:35pm On Mar 21, 2013
Jonathan is trying to change criminals for the good of the nation so lets wait till alamieyeseigha does sumtin bad again or contribute too the nation.Then,u can know if he succeed or not and his judgement then will be justified
Re: Soyinka: Alamieyeseigha’s Pardon, Symbol Of Corrupt Mentality by jawjaw1: 2:48pm On Mar 21, 2013
I have said before on one of the old threads and I will say it again here. My prayer for all of you (You know yourselves on NL) that support this GEJ and his stupid pardon to Alams is that, may all the results of corruption which GEJ has supported with this action, which are sickness, poverty, hunger, armed robbery, darkness, disorder, system collapse, greed, theft, lack of schools, lack of hospitals, insecurity etc be the portion of you, your children and grand children.
Click like if your answer is Amen.

3 Likes

Re: Soyinka: Alamieyeseigha’s Pardon, Symbol Of Corrupt Mentality by TableLeg(m): 3:35pm On Mar 21, 2013
Princeemzzy: Jonathan is trying to change criminals for the good of the nation so lets wait till alamieyeseigha does sumtin bad again or contribute too the nation.Then,u can know if he succeed or not and his judgement then will be justified
Did you actually type the crap above?!
Is this one a fu...cking lunatic? Jonathan is trying to change criminals for the good of the nation ....
Like seriously, the you typed the drivel above?! SMH ........
Re: Soyinka: Alamieyeseigha’s Pardon, Symbol Of Corrupt Mentality by akins56(m): 3:52pm On Mar 21, 2013
wish i was born in somalia!
Re: Soyinka: Alamieyeseigha’s Pardon, Symbol Of Corrupt Mentality by jokedusi57(m): 3:55pm On Mar 21, 2013
Yes what Soyinka said is true(according to him) it is an an act of impunity and a symbol of corrupt mentality.
Re: Soyinka: Alamieyeseigha’s Pardon, Symbol Of Corrupt Mentality by jokedusi57(m): 4:04pm On Mar 21, 2013
I wish i am a boko harram Goodluck deserved a serious punishment
Re: Soyinka: Alamieyeseigha’s Pardon, Symbol Of Corrupt Mentality by gbengaobaye: 4:40pm On Mar 21, 2013
gej cannot survive 2015.abati and dog okupe are killing him.
Re: Soyinka: Alamieyeseigha’s Pardon, Symbol Of Corrupt Mentality by ypzilanti: 5:48pm On Mar 21, 2013
laylow001: Show me a man who isn't corrupt and you show me a man who hasn't been offered enough money yet.

Speak for yourself. Not everyone is money crazy like you...at least not for corrupt money.

Most of our parents worked in civil service at highest levels and never stole anything. There is no year that we do not read of stories where poor people like taxi drivers and mechanics return millions that people forgot somewhere. Finally, tell me how much you plan to use to buy Mandela, or Martin Luther King, or Ghandi?

We have just lost it as a Nation. Our independence leaders did not steal any money and all died with just moderate means.
Re: Soyinka: Alamieyeseigha’s Pardon, Symbol Of Corrupt Mentality by Nobody: 7:25pm On Mar 21, 2013
ifihearam:

Yorubas are pathological liars nau!!
Wole soyinka bankrupt FRSC, he made every member of PC(pirate confraternity)a special Marshal. I remember vividly then.
He is a crook. A coward to say the least.

Guy, why insulting a tribe because of Wole Soyinka? Use your brain nah.
Re: Soyinka: Alamieyeseigha’s Pardon, Symbol Of Corrupt Mentality by mindyourword: 8:14pm On Mar 21, 2013
WHAT HAS HE DONE FOR THIS COUNTRY THAT MAKES HIM TO MERIT
STATE PARDON FROM MR PRESIDENT. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE THROW
MORE LIGHT ON THIS.
Re: Soyinka: Alamieyeseigha’s Pardon, Symbol Of Corrupt Mentality by emmatok(m): 10:41pm On Mar 21, 2013
ifihearam: I now see why Prince Afegbua said Wole Soyinka is suffering from mental cirrhosis.

Even the GEJ you support won't say such against Wole.

Propaganda is blinding.
Re: Soyinka: Alamieyeseigha’s Pardon, Symbol Of Corrupt Mentality by Jyde89: 11:15pm On Mar 21, 2013
slimmy05: e don beter for u as u dey sleep for nairaland. Slow-poke. Idiotas like you, bandwagons. You're cursed already.
another worthless result of a failed lab experiment, keep on defending your oga at the top. Afterall he is your families benefactor.
Re: Soyinka: Alamieyeseigha’s Pardon, Symbol Of Corrupt Mentality by Jyde89: 11:33pm On Mar 21, 2013
ifihearam:

See who e don better for. Goat like you
E better for you nai you dey see who e nor better for.
I pray make unu fit get reach councillor as the highest political post holder for ur generation. Anu ofia, bastarrrrrrrdd
i expect nothing less from a devoted GEJ's "nkita", ur lineage could'nt see what honor their is in their noble living so they sent the bastard in the family to sulk up to the retarden in power, knowing fully well he's incapable of handling a female football club not to talk of complex nation like Nigeria. Poverty is indeed a curse.
Re: Soyinka: Alamieyeseigha’s Pardon, Symbol Of Corrupt Mentality by Nobody: 11:41pm On Mar 21, 2013
Re: Soyinka: Alamieyeseigha’s Pardon, Symbol Of Corrupt Mentality by Chidoxyl(m): 12:19am On Mar 22, 2013
In Naija, everytin is tinkable & possible. I love dis country, walahi!
Re: Soyinka: Alamieyeseigha’s Pardon, Symbol Of Corrupt Mentality by 1009ja: 6:24am On Mar 22, 2013
Only the masses (youth) will make politicians do the right thing. GEJ would not have been encouraging public corruption if he has an iota of belief that there would be severe consequences on the streets of Lagos, Kano, Kaduna, Abuja, Portharcourt, Enugu, etc.If the head is rotten, the body will stink to high heavens. If GEJ was not corrupt, he would be holding the looters accountable; the governors would not be treating their states' monthly allocations as their personal pocket money. The civil servants and appointed heads of MDAs would not be fearlessly looting billions of naira allocated to or generated by their agencies. Everybody is angling to get into a position to get their share of the cake. That is the corrupt and looting mentality that is on the ground. Glorification of ill gotten wealth, that is what Nigerian psyche has come to be. A president sets the tone for a nation's way of life. Nigeria is not different. We just have not struck gold yet in our quest for an architect of positive change. Until we stike a Nigerian, irrespective of ethnicity or religion, who wants to leave a permanent positive mark on our psyche, we are just in the wilderness. Imagine GEJ the other day in Lagos telling us that his kids are likely to abandon his Otuoke roots for a life in the West Indies. Why? Because they find the West Indies a better place on earth to live out their lives. Talk about self indictment on bad governance. GEJ is a symbol of our depressing citizenry. Nigeria will never continue on its current path with our luck of 'leaders'. When our luck changes, how would we remember GEJ and his likes before him? The future will tell. Our luck will not change until we get truely fed up with our current psyche.
Re: Soyinka: Alamieyeseigha’s Pardon, Symbol Of Corrupt Mentality by femiero: 7:02am On Mar 22, 2013
In 1983, Marc Rich was indicted along with his partner, Pincus Green, and their companies on 65 counts of defrauding the I.R.S., mail fraud, tax evasion, racketeering, defrauding the Treasury and trading with the enemy. (The last of these was for an oil deal with Iran while it held American hostages.) On hearing that they were about to be prosecuted, they fled to Switzerland. For the next 17 years, Mr. Rich ducked extradition requests as well as attempts by federal marshals to arrest him in France, England, Finland and elsewhere. Though his companies pleaded guilty and paid $200 million in fines and other penalties, on his many racketeering charges Mr. Rich a fugitive came to be pardoned by President Clinton.

Afritop: ALAMS PARDON IS ALSO A SYMBOL OF A FAILING PARTY THAT OFFERS CORRUPTION AND MORAL DECADENCE TO THE CITIZENRY OF THE COUNTRY

1 Like

Re: Soyinka: Alamieyeseigha’s Pardon, Symbol Of Corrupt Mentality by dbride: 8:07am On Mar 22, 2013
ifihearam:

Laffing in khosa
And if I may ask:BY WHO?

You sure asked this question in IGNORANCE and with ARROGANCE......my answer: BY GOD or you think He cannot take over? He has done it so many times in His time and style all over the world.
Re: Soyinka: Alamieyeseigha’s Pardon, Symbol Of Corrupt Mentality by dbride: 8:17am On Mar 22, 2013
Princeemzzy: Jonathan is trying to change criminals for the good of the nation so lets wait till alamieyeseigha does sumtin bad again or contribute too the nation.Then,u can know if he succeed or not and his judgement then will be justified

There are many behind bars without trial for alledgedly stealing peanuts, why Jona no start with dem. Corruption has destroyed your sense of reasoning. You are finished because you have no truth left in you. God is Truth and Truth is Life.
Re: Soyinka: Alamieyeseigha’s Pardon, Symbol Of Corrupt Mentality by gerald09(m): 9:51am On Mar 22, 2013
U know ever since the US and UK complained about the pardon of Alma, Nigerians have been fighting to make sure he is sent to Uk to face his crime, BUT have Ѿε̲̣̣̣̥ 4gottin bout the paedophile he pardoned to, or have Ѿε̲̣̣̣̥ decided to abandon d children. I guess in Nigeria it is kk to beat up d gays n people dat steal as little as tomato but assaulting n raping little children is kk in dere books. Am afraid for My children no child deserve such treatment.
Re: Soyinka: Alamieyeseigha’s Pardon, Symbol Of Corrupt Mentality by Jyde89: 11:56am On Mar 23, 2013
slimmy05: Look at this guinea pig, ure jst coward, u don't ave a mind of your own, you silly billy goat from a same sex marriage. You're cursed
my advice for GEJ purpet's like you is to build a shrine where you can worship your overlord, at least any vabal jab's from anti GEJ's like us will be illegal over there.
Re: Soyinka: Alamieyeseigha’s Pardon, Symbol Of Corrupt Mentality by Nobody: 2:53pm On Mar 23, 2013
Jyde89: my advice for GEJ purpet's like you is to build a shrine where you can worship your overlord, at least any vabal jab's from anti GEJ's like us will be illegal over there.
poverty and penury eating you up

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Sophisticated Electronic Warfare Gives Russia The Edge / FG Launches ‘7 Big Wins’ To Grow Oil And Gas Sector / Obiano Sends List Of Commissioners To House Of Assembly For Screening

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.