Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,747 members, 7,824,148 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:44 AM

Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African (15255 Views)

African Americans Ain't African ,do You Agree / I Hate Being An African American Woman / Why Am I Often Approached By African Men? (An African-American Woman) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African by kandiikane(m): 3:29pm On Apr 13, 2013
loool cheesy

You're haitian american then?
Re: Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African by Blyss: 4:05pm On Apr 13, 2013
Mrs.Chima:

Nigga...you ain't no half breed.....you are a poly breed! What did you do draw out the bucket your hertiages?

Never claimed to be a half breed. I said, as is typical with most of us AA, I am generationally mixed. My mixtures are Black-African (Igbo), German (Bavarian region), Scottish and Cherokee. My African and European lineages both go back to the early 1600's in this land. smiley So I'm in all ways possible as hardcore, full blooded of an AA or Black-American as we come. smiley

I didn't know you were Haitian, since you always say that you're simply American. Most of you usually hyphenate the American with your families nation of origin (Haitian-American)for instance. Are you fully Haitian or are mixed with AA?
Re: Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African by Nobody: 4:29pm On Apr 13, 2013
You say your African ancestors were indentured servants...Do you have any proof of this? Just curious and sounds very interesting.
Re: Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African by Blyss: 4:33pm On Apr 13, 2013
kandiikane: Bybss did you do a test to see whether you're cherokee because many people who have claimed to be related to a full blooded winds from the crying wolf grandma were let down.

Yes, but that was more so to confirm my African ancestry, because it's already well known in my family that we're of significant German, Scottish and Cherokee descent. My mother's grandmother died when she was about ten, and she has many pics of her and her grandmother together. It's very evident that she was native American, and if you seen a pic of my great aunts, and grandmother, you'd think they were natives themselves. It's pretty evident in my mother and her siblings as well. But to answer your question, yes, the Cherokee lineage was also confirmed in the DNA test. In all, I'm only slightly over 50% Black-African in lineage (54%, but it's all via generational mixture on both my mothers and fathers side spanning some 12 generations here in North America).
Re: Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African by Nobody: 4:47pm On Apr 13, 2013
Mrs.Chima:
I can only go by my parents and my grandparents and greatgrandparents. I will not go down the family tree to prove to be worthy... I am content with my lineage and my daddy still mad I didn't marry no Haitian.

i feel you.
most west indian parents/grand parents are like that.
they will mix their kids but want their kids to marry other caribbeans. grin

my mom used to be like that. She wanted me to marry a caribbean man soo bad grin She would always say: he could be dominican, puerto rican, trini, guyanese etc...as along as he is caribbean. grin grin

KidStranglehold:

LOL..

lol that's blyss talking shiet as usual tongue
he's caribbean-phobic grin
Re: Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African by Nobody: 4:51pm On Apr 13, 2013
Blyss:

Well you should be proud and better yet, LUCKY to have the rich, historical, creative AA genes flowing through your body. You feel that electrifying tingle? smiley

grin grin grin

um no!!
Caribbean till I DIE!! you hear? TILL.I.DIE!! cool

I am LUCKY BLESSED to be part of the most diverse people on the planet.
So much flavor!! From our music, to our history, and our culture. cool
AA is cool too. AAs also have a rich history 4sure but my Caribbean blood is fyah!! kiss

Ppl come to America for the PAPERS...(money..economic status) but they go to the caribbean/latin america FOR THE LIFESTYLE!! cool

#Don'tH8!! tongue tongue grin
Re: Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African by Nobody: 4:54pm On Apr 13, 2013
*yawns*

Wondering why a proud American did a DNA test
Re: Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African by Nobody: 5:04pm On Apr 13, 2013
Re: Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African by Nobody: 5:05pm On Apr 13, 2013
Re: Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African by Blyss: 5:07pm On Apr 13, 2013
KidStranglehold: You say your African ancestors were indentured servants...Do you have any proof of this? Just curious and sounds very interesting.

I HAD proof, via a very extensive roots like genealogical study I did on my family starting back in junior high and lasting through my freshman year in college. Surprisingly, very good records were kept on my family lines through the plantation days via slave records and such, and both my mother's and father's family also kept pretty good records of their own about their family history.

so between hitting the libraries,collecting all the family knowledge, and making a few personal visits to small town local historians down in the Carolina's and Alabama, I managed to trace my African roots all the way back to 1621 for my father's family and 1623 for my mother's; further digging unmasked that they were most likely Igbo, and came upon Dutch ships as indentured servants to the original Virginian Colony at which time was pretty much just made up of Jamestown and Williamsport areas. Later genealogical testing confirmed this Igbo link, along with a pretty consistent showing of Igbo lineage through out both side of the families history as found out via plantation records.

All of my years of work I put into this project burnt up at my parents house a few years ago, during an electrical fire they had. I was pissed as all hell. I'm currently in the process of attempting to regenerate it all back, but have a family and career responsibilities now, I just don't have nearly as much time to do it all. angry
Re: Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African by Nobody: 5:09pm On Apr 13, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: *yawns*

LOOOOOOL! good question!! grin
Re: Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African by onila(f): 5:10pm On Apr 13, 2013
looking for a smart handsome carribean man

the one who wont make me a baby mama
Re: Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African by Nobody: 5:10pm On Apr 13, 2013
Blyss:

I HAD proof, via a very extensive roots like genealogical study I did on my family starting back in junior high and lasting through my freshman year in college. Surprisingly, very good records were kept on my family lines through the plantation days via slave records and such, and both my mother's and father's family also kept pretty good records of their own about their family history.

so between hitting the libraries,collecting all the family knowledge, and making a few personal visits to small town local historians down in the Carolina's and Alabama, I managed to trace my African roots all the way back to 1621 for my father's family and 1623 for my mother's; further digging unmasked that they were most likely Igbo, and came upon Dutch ships as indentured servants to the original Virginian Colony at which time was pretty much just made up of Jamestown and Williamsport areas. Later genealogical testing confirmed this Igbo link, along with a pretty consistent showing of Igbo lineage through out both side of the families history as found out via plantation records.

All of my years of work I put into this project burnt up at my parents house a few years ago, during an electrical fire they had. I was pissed as all hell. I'm currently in the process of attempting to regenerate it all back, but have a family and career responsibilities now, I just don't have nearly as much time to do it all. angry

interesting. grin
Re: Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African by Blyss: 5:11pm On Apr 13, 2013
MsDarkSkin:

grin grin grin

um no!!
Caribbean till I DIE!! you hear? TILL.I.DIE!! cool

I am LUCKY BLESSED to be part of the most diverse people on the planet.
So much flavor!! From our music, to our history, and our culture. cool
AA is cool too. AAs also have a rich history 4sure but my Caribbean blood is fyah!! kiss

Ppl come to America for the PAPERS...(money..economic status) but they go to the caribbean/latin america FOR THE LIFESTYLE!! cool

#Don'tH8!! tongue tongue grin

Damn ungrateful leaches!! angry angry

JK, I think.
Re: Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African by Nobody: 5:12pm On Apr 13, 2013
onila: looking for a smart handsome carribean man

the one who wont make me a baby mama

there are plenty. smiley
you just have to make sure you get to know them better, know their intentions and
then go from there. smiley Trust me those "yardies" (as you guys call them in the UK grin) do not represent all of our men sis. We don't like them as much as you don't.

There are good Caribbean men out there for sure. smiley
Re: Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African by Nobody: 5:13pm On Apr 13, 2013
Blyss:

Damn ungrateful leaches!! angry angry

JK, I think.

grin grin

i thought you had caribbeans in your family? why the hate? grin
Re: Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African by Nobody: 5:16pm On Apr 13, 2013
MsDarkSkin:

lol that's blyss talking shiet as usual tongue
he's caribbean-phobic grin

LOL! I can tell.... grin

He should know Caribbean people ALWAYS had AA's back throughout history. Hell I would even say Caribbeans like Jamaicans, Puerto Ricans and Haitians are AA's closets allies. Its true.
Re: Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African by onila(f): 5:16pm On Apr 13, 2013
MsDarkSkin:

there are plenty. smiley
you just have to make sure you get to know them better, know their intentions and
then go from there. smiley Trust me those "yardies" (as you guys call them in the UK grin) do not represent all of our men sis. We don't like them as much as you don't.

There are good Caribbean men out there for sure. smiley
undecided I met a rich guy from st martin

I disliked his french carribean accent n his pot belly

so didnt date him
Re: Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African by Nobody: 5:18pm On Apr 13, 2013
Kid!! I see you tell him about HAITI!! cool

First black republic in the WORLD!! cool cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0b4ZKCmW7Q
Re: Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African by Nobody: 5:18pm On Apr 13, 2013
Blyss:

Very interesting! But sad that happened to you.
Re: Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African by Nobody: 5:20pm On Apr 13, 2013
MsDarkSkin: Kid!! I see you tell him about HAITI!! cool

First black republic in the WORLD!! cool cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0b4ZKCmW7Q

Thanks. smiley

Do you know after Haiti won their independence...They offered not only AA's, but other blacks to come and live in Haiti?
Re: Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African by Blyss: 5:20pm On Apr 13, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: *yawns*

I did a DNA test for simply one reason, and one reason only, and that was to confirm if my studies showing that my African lineage is Igbo were most likely fact or not, and the test did it's job. It confirmed it 100%. smiley
Re: Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African by Nobody: 5:21pm On Apr 13, 2013
onila: undecided I met a rich guy from st martin

I disliked his french carribean accent n his pot belly

so didnt date him

loooooooooooooooooooooooooool! grin

you are hilarious!! i like francophone/creole caribbean men. smiley
the only negative is they are kinda...effeminate at times. grin
and yes the accent can be annoying at times... grin grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D9MB1Rkah4
Re: Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African by Nobody: 5:22pm On Apr 13, 2013
KidStranglehold:

Thanks. smiley

Do you know after Haiti won their independence...They offered not only AA's, but other blacks to come and live in Haiti?

I never knew that~!! cheesy
I always knew Jamos went back and forth prior to the civil war tho.
you know the reason why haiti is in the position it is, is because france and other
european nations are still embarrassed about the epic azzwhipping they got.

so they literally keep haiti from progressing.
Re: Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African by Nobody: 5:27pm On Apr 13, 2013
KidStranglehold:

LOL! I can tell.... grin

He should know Caribbean people ALWAYS had AA's back throughout history. Hell I would even say Caribbeans like Jamaicans, Puerto Ricans and Haitians are AA's closets allies. Its true.

he don't want to hear that tho.
he's on some AA supremacy ish!! grin

caribbeans are what's up. i don't care what anyone says!!
imagine even jamaica...a TINY ISLAND with so much influence.

there are countries with 10x our population and ppl still don't know about them like the WORLD OVER knows us! grin cool

Don't get me started on the influences from Cuba, Puerto Rico, Haiti and Trinidad!! cool cool

No hate Blyss..I see you!!!! cool grin
Re: Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African by Nobody: 5:33pm On Apr 13, 2013
Anyways...ALL HAIL THE CARIBBEAN MASTER RACE! cool cool

[img]http://caribtorchdotcom.files./2012/11/caribbean_flags.gif[/img]

Fun facts... wink

1. Fidel Castro of Cuba resisted Western powers.

2. Haiti first black nation.

3. Most stable black nations found in the Caribbean.

4. Hottest girls found in the Caribbean.

6. Everyone goes to the Caribbean to have a good time. Like Msdarkskin stated.

7. Jamaican culture is known world wide.

But the TRUE master race of the Caribbean are the Haitians!grin grin grin

We Haitians defeated THREE super powers at the time...The French, Spaniards and British...

United under the great and legendary..

The revolution was so violent that whites were killed in the most unthoughtful ways you can think of...

^^^

But sadly during time Haiti went downhill...Especially under Papa doc..(My step fathers father worked under Papa Doc)..

But thanks to Michel Martelly and his smart strategies with tourism....Haiti may rise and again and take its rightful place!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKwdIfSz7ZQ
Re: Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African by Blyss: 5:34pm On Apr 13, 2013
MsDarkSkin: [size=28pt]caribbean pride!![/size] grin grin

[img]http://3.bp..com/_UhzSbahOEp4/TKVPo8QQH4I/AAAAAAAABdE/nVEub8QXPoU/s1600/repparada.jpg[/img]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIZMZGd91s0

(*looks @ blyss grin*)

Don't look at me sis. You ain't showing me ish. Caribbean style is for festivals, AA style if common place, dare I say standard. You'all are like our close lil cousins. You get on our nerves sometimes, but we love you like family. cheesy Africans on the other hand are looked at like distant cousins; we recognize you, but we just don't know you too well to really care to be that close to you. Not all of us see things that way, but it's pretty much the norm.

1 Like

Re: Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African by Nobody: 5:36pm On Apr 13, 2013
MsDarkSkin:

I never knew that~!! cheesy
I always knew Jamos went back and forth prior to the civil war tho.

Also you know many Haitians helped many Latin American countries during that time? I'll try to find some info.

MsDarkSkin:
you know the reason why haiti is in the position it is, is because france and other
european nations are still embarrassed about the epic azzwhipping they got.

so they literally keep haiti from progressing.

I know. Which is sad. But what Haiti is trying to do is revive tourism and increase more jobs. Western nations are not only to blame. But also the rule by Papa doc and his son. Papa Doc caused a huge brain drain of Haiti.
Re: Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African by Nobody: 5:40pm On Apr 13, 2013
MsDarkSkin:

he don't want to hear that tho.
he's on some AA supremacy ish!! grin

caribbeans are what's up. i don't care what anyone says!!
imagine even jamaica...a TINY ISLAND with so much influence.

there are countries with 10x our population and ppl still don't know about them like the WORLD OVER knows us! grin cool

Don't get me started on the influences from Cuba, Puerto Rico, Haiti and Trinidad!! cool cool

No hate Blyss..I see you!!!! cool grin

Agreed!

If I were to become famous and retire...I would much rather move to a Caribbean/Latin country, because the people there don't nag celebrities like people do in the states. That's why a lot of famous people go to the islands. Heck Jay Z and Beyonce recently went to Cuba.

1 Like

Re: Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African by Nobody: 6:02pm On Apr 13, 2013
LOL !! blyss is hurting!! grin
and whoever gave him the "thumbs up" you feel it too!! grin grin grin

#IlaughinCARIBBEAN!! kiss

like I said, we don't need anyone to "like us"...we are just on the map.
we being OURSELVES is what got us there. So you don't have to like it at all.

"we NUH beg fren"... wink wink
Re: Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African by Nobody: 6:04pm On Apr 13, 2013
KidStranglehold:

Agreed!

If I were to become famous and retire...I would much rather move to a Caribbean/Latin country, because the people there don't nag celebrities like people do in the states. That's why a lot of famous people go to the islands. Heck Jay Z and Beyonce recently went to Cuba.

that's the pan for yours truly too. smiley
I found out not too long ago I have land waiting for me in JA so you already know!! cheesy

and yeah Jay and Bey were given PERMISSION by the US g'vt..so why is the media making a big stink about it? this is not the kennedy era...they can give it a rest now.
Re: Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African by Nobody: 6:10pm On Apr 13, 2013
MsDarkSkin:

that's the pan for yours truly too. smiley
I found out not too long ago I have land waiting for me in JA so you already know!! cheesy

Thats great! I'm still VERY young, but one day I would like to invest in the Carribean/Africa. I don't get why AA's like Oprah, 50cent(though he has helped Somalia, but im talking business), Jay Z, Bob Johnson,etc...Don't invest in the Caribbean or Africa and creat a business unity... Lost of $$$ to be made and can help the people. Again im still very young but when I do finsish college and my wealth does increase, I would do that.

MsDarkSkin:
and yeah Jay and Bey were given PERMISSION by the US g'vt..so why is the media making a big stink about it? this is not the kennedy era...they can give it a rest now.

Really..because one day I would like to visit Cuba. Mad bad looking girls in Cuba. But I dont like the white cubans, they're really racist. undecided

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Igbira Women, What About Them? / Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. / Pictures From The Final Day Of The Third African Drum Festival, Abeokuta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.