Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,172 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:42 AM

Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African (15256 Views)

African Americans Ain't African ,do You Agree / I Hate Being An African American Woman / Why Am I Often Approached By African Men? (An African-American Woman) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African by Nobody: 2:02pm On Apr 14, 2013
Mrs..Chima:

I disagree with a few things you said...there aren't much opportunities for BA and Carribs in Nigeria and a few other African countries...however Ghana has proven that BA/Carribs can excel without opposition and with much support. As Ms Darkskin was saying no one has to return home just to prove they accept Africa as their home but it isn't really home to them if they have never lived there. See home is where you lay your head proudly regardless if you are on BA a stolen land or not. It is what you make of it.

^^100 percent agreed. cool

Now...looking back when Haiti was colonized by the Spanish and French but managed to become the first Black Nation to rule then other Black countries followed suit. America was stolen and bartered several times before it became United States of America....the stolen products, i.e slaves through oppression fought like bulls and now they are free however with perks that benefits other Blacks and minorities that didn't have a hand in it. However you may think that BAs would never equal to Whites...think about it...to be forced as a White person to give accommodations or considerations to those inferior or else jail time is nearby. If that isn't a victory for many slaves who have died to make sure BAs were able to have access to decent education, health, housing, employment, and vote.

It is a long ways coming but anything is better than nothing.

That is a VEEEERY good point Mrs.Chima...very good.

Mrs..Chima:

I agree sis! Which is worse...opposition from those that looks like you or not? Exactly.

Both are equally bad but I won't put myself in a position to be somewhere I know nothing about and can be used as a scapegoat or liability. Sorry.

I'd like to visit someday and learn about how our forefathers lived...see what they saw but living there is out of the question. Hell! I don't even want to live in Europe or Asia lol.

If I move away from the US I am going South of the US Border (from costa rica on down of course! lol Mexico NO NO! grin)
Re: Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African by Nobody: 2:20pm On Apr 14, 2013
MsDarkSkin: My fellow half breeds grin kiss
im off to handle personal business.

@kid im gonna search for the documentary and try to post it before the day is over.
all i remember is it was shown on the history channel tongue grin

wish me luck tongue tongue..take care guys!! kiss

i'm still searching babes...i ain't forgot about yewww kid!! kiss
Re: Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African by Nobody: 2:50pm On Apr 14, 2013
MsDarkSkin: @kid, i know.

im just saying we shouldn't try to force the issue "just because we are black".

study this thread if you think otherwise grin:
https://www.nairaland.com/1185790/thoughts-african-americans-moving-back

i think if anything black americans should learn to take control of our economic situations
while in america: start business, invest in our business and promote self reliance.

the big "uprooting in the name of repatriation" wish some of our forefathers had is unrealistic however i feel cross-atlantic trading with each other would be the best option.

i am happy for Angola's progress though, believe it but I don't think moving there as a people, is necessary.

anyway..that's just my opinion.

again..i gotta bounce.
we can continue this later babes (talking about haiti). smiley

I understand perfectly what you are saying. But I'm mostly talking about a business unity that would benefit all groups. You can't disagree with that.
Re: Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African by Nobody: 3:00pm On Apr 14, 2013
Mrs..Chima:

I disagree with a few things you said...there aren't much opportunities for BA and Carribs in Nigeria and a few other African countries...however Ghana has proven that BA/Carribs can excel without opposition and with much support. As Ms Darkskin was saying no one has to return home just to prove they accept Africa as their home but it isn't really home to them if they have never lived there. See home is where you lay your head proudly regardless if you are on BA a stolen land or not. It is what you make of it.

Now...looking back when Haiti was colonized by the Spanish and French but managed to become the first Black Nation to rule then other Black countries followed suit. America was stolen and bartered several times before it became United States of America....the stolen products, i.e slaves through oppression fought like bulls and now they are free however with perks that benefits other Blacks and minorities that didn't have a hand in it. However you may think that BAs would never equal to Whites...think about it...to be forced as a White person to give accommodations or considerations to those inferior or else jail time is nearby. If that isn't a victory for many slaves who have died to make sure BAs were able to have access to decent education, health, housing, employment, and vote.

It is a long ways coming but anything is better than nothing.

Good post.
Re: Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African by Nobody: 3:14pm On Apr 14, 2013
MsDarkSkin:

Naw Haitians and Dominicans are literally the same people only differing in language. The hatred for each other is the result of politics and self hatred on the part of Dominicans who do not want to be associated with Africans (racially). They claim to be Caribbean but they strongly dislike Haitians (political) and Africans (<<don't want to be classified as African..would rather be called Taino grin)...not all but some who happen to have the most influence over the island/culture.

The Spaniards and the biracial Dominicans backs in the day had a vendetta against the Haitians and eventually they made it racial. They used to kill the Haitian immigrants or anyone who couldn't speak Spanish (who they suspected of being Haitian) to "cleanse" their part of the Island.

I forgot what happened but Haiti and Dominican Rep. used to be "one" nation and the island is still called "Hispanola" but a series of conflicts happened and #boom. It was over.

Kid shed some more light on this please.... smiley

I will. But you did cover somethings...

The beef between Haiti and Dominica Rep. goes back really far...Haiti use to occupy the Dominica Rep. and use to always try and control it. There use to be wars, but Dominica won their independence from Haiti. Then you have the case with the Dominican dictator Trujillo who really made it worse and even tried to white wash the DR by trying to immigrate large masses of white immigrates to the DR, similar to what other countries did to keep whites in full control. The self hatred and beef with Haitians mostly comes from Trujillo.

But the more educated or Americanized Dominicans are not as ignorant as the Dominicans in the DR. I knew some Dominicans that acknowledged they had African DNA and I knew a lot of Dominicans on many sites that were well versed on African history and their African DNA. Yes their is self hatred in Dominicans like their is in AA's and heck most African descent people. But when you say Dominicans have self hatred, you have to be specific because not all of them do and its mostly the really dark skinned ones on the island that have that self hatred. Also the beer between Haitians and Dominicans in the USA is sometimes exaggerated(not saying it does not exist), MOST of the girls I dated where I live were Dominican and they knew I was part Haitian. I was even friends with some Dominicans and in my school Haitians and Dominicans got along.

Also you are right about Haitians and Dominicans being the same. Dominicans are just more mixed that's all. I heard back in the 50/60's there was no border between Haiti and the Dominican Rep. If you spoke Spanish you would cross into the Dominican Rep. and if you spoke creole you would cross and live in Haiti. I think a real border was created in the 60's. But I do know that what ever language you spoke you would move to that country that spoke the language you spoke.
Re: Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African by Nobody: 3:53pm On Apr 14, 2013
KidStranglehold:

I will. But you did cover somethings...

The beef between Haiti and Dominica Rep. goes back really far...Haiti use to occupy the Dominica Rep. and use to always try and control it. There use to be wars, but Dominica won their independence from Haiti. Then you have the case with the Dominican dictator Trujillo who really made it worse and even tried to white wash the DR by trying to immigrate large masses of white immigrates to the DR, similar to what other countries did to keep whites in full control. The self hatred and beef with Haitians mostly comes from Trujillo.

This trujillo person is viewed as a hero to ignorant dominicans.
i remember watching a documentary about the "trinitario" gang and they named themselves after the "trinity" being the three men who freed them from haiti. that guy wasa nutjob...he even oppressed his own.

But the more educated or Americanized Dominicans are not as ignorant as the Dominicans in the DR. I knew some Dominicans that acknowledged they had African DNA and I knew a lot of Dominicans on many sites that were well versed on African history and their African DNA. Yes their is self hatred in Dominicans like their is in AA's and heck most African descent people. But when you say Dominicans have self hatred, you have to be specific because not all of them do and its mostly the really dark skinned ones on the island that have that self hatred.

i know. i said "some". smiley
i love dominicanos esp. the ones from up-north. cool (i got a few en mi familia too, as well as PRs and Cubans...my entire family is from the all over the caribbean come to think of it. grin.)

but occasionally you meet some who still have the "island" mentality.
ignorant ppl are found everywhere...that is something i have always said. smiley
education takes ppl a long way.

the afro. latino movement that has gained some momentum esp. in the 2000s is a beautiful thing because for a long time afro. latinos were told to deny their history. Here is one dominican mami repping her ppl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etF6ZFYoYAE
(again..my point about jamo influence listen to how she raps grin
*looks @ senior butthurt* grin grin)

Also the beer between Haitians and Dominicans in the USA is sometimes exaggerated(not saying it does not exist), MOST of the girls I dated where I live were Dominican and they knew I was part Haitian. I was even friends with some Dominicans and in my school Haitians and Dominicans got along.

i know..in fact i know mad haitian-domi mixed folks/relationships.
you guys are the same ppl FFS! grin

we are all family and you will always have that one family member with issues. tongue
but you still love them. kiss #caribbeanpride

Also you are right about Haitians and Dominicans being the same. Dominicans are just more mixed that's all. I heard back in the 50/60's there was no border between Haiti and the Dominican Rep. If you spoke Spanish you would cross into the Dominican Rep. and if you spoke creole you would cross and live in Haiti. I think a real border was created in the 60's. But I do know that what ever language you spoke you would move to that country that spoke the language you spoke.

shocked shocked shocked
the 60s?!! you sure about that? undecided that wasn't long ago then...i always thought it was established during the civil conflicts.

well..i've been educated... smiley

oh ya!!
Babes...join me in this thread. smiley

https://www.nairaland.com/986707/what-top-5-black-cultural/5#15237750
Re: Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African by Nobody: 4:40pm On Apr 14, 2013
MsDarkSkin:

This trujillo person is viewed as a hero to ignorant dominicans.
i remember watching a documentary about the "trinitario" gang and they named themselves after the "trinity" being the three men who freed them from haiti. that guy wasa nutjob...he even oppressed his own.

Even Fidel Castro knew he was a nutjob and both almost went To war I think. And Trujillo was a mulatto himself...

MsDarkSkin:
i know. i said "some". smiley
Not you. I was just speaking in general. grin

MsDarkSkin:
i love dominicanos esp. the ones from up-north. cool (i got a few en mi familia too, as well as PRs and Cubans...my entire family is from the all over the caribbean come to think of it. grin.)

but occasionally you meet some who still have the "island" mentality.
ignorant ppl are found everywhere...that is something i have always said. smiley
education takes ppl a long way.

I feel you.

MsDarkSkin:
the afro. latino movement that has gained some momentum esp. in the 2000s is a beautiful thing because for a long time afro. latinos were told to deny their history.

I hear in Brazil the Afro-Brazilian population is gaining a voice and also this.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/nov/17/brazil-census-african-brazilians-majority
http://en.mercopress.com/2009/04/25/black-population-becomes-the-majority-in-brazil
http://globalvoicesonline.org/2011/11/29/brazil-census-black-mixed-population/

A lot of Brazilians are starting to identify as black...I mean they should since the majority of their culture is African. Especially Capoeira...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeTaLmFd5LE

Which is STILL practiced in Angola to the VERY DAY.

MsDarkSkin:
Here is one dominican mami repping her ppl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etF6ZFYoYAE
(again..my point about jamo influence listen to how she raps grin
*looks @ senior butthurt* grin grin)

I love my Dominican girls. grin

But yo check this video out. Very interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qg4_wDOApU

MsDarkSkin:
i know..in fact i know mad haitian-domi mixed folks/relationships.
you guys are the same ppl FFS! grin

we are all family and you will always have that one family member with issues. tongue
but you still love them. kiss #caribbeanpride

yep. smiley

MsDarkSkin:
shocked shocked shocked
the 60s?!! you sure about that? undecided that wasn't long ago then...i always thought it was established during the civil conflicts.

well..i've been educated... smiley
Well I am not for certain that it was the 60s. But I DO KNOW that there was originally no true border that divided both Haiti and Dominica Rep.

MsDarkSkin:
oh ya!!
Babes...join me in this thread. smiley

https://www.nairaland.com/986707/what-top-5-black-cultural/5#15237750

Thread seems watsups. Will check it out.

1 Like

Re: Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African by Nobody: 5:34pm On Apr 14, 2013
now this is interesting...^^
Re: Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African by Nobody: 4:25am On Apr 15, 2013
lol @ always seeing a "guest" on threads i've been in. grin

anyway, Kid come here next time you check in bro.
https://www.nairaland.com/986707/what-top-5-black-cultural/6#15245508

i wanna see some haitian delicacies on that thread. smiley kiss
Re: Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African by Nobody: 7:00am On Apr 15, 2013
^^My post has been unhidden.
Re: Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 9:58am On Apr 15, 2013
MsDarkSkin:

funny thing is...most Liberians I KNOW actually want that.
they are pro-reconciliation. but i don't get why some AAs feel the need to move to Africa though. I mean it's where we came from but it's not really "home".

.HMMM
Re: Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 9:59am On Apr 15, 2013
KidStranglehold:

Now thats whats up... smiley

I know this may sound bizarre. But I think AA's should give Liberia another chance. The civil war in Liberia is over and the country is becoming more and more stable under the new female president. AA's always complain about how they don't have a home country, but here is Liberia. I say they should give it another shot. I know this is going to sound really stupid but America doesn't give all blacks a chance. I read that black Americans living in South Africa love it there instead of America, because they say there is more opportunities for a black person in SA.
hmm
Re: Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 10:03am On Apr 15, 2013
Hmm
MsDarkSkin: @kid, i know.

im just saying we shouldn't try to force the issue "just because we are black".

study this thread if you think otherwise grin:
https://www.nairaland.com/1185790/thoughts-african-americans-moving-back

i think if anything black americans should learn to take control of our economic situations
while in america: start business, invest in our business and promote self reliance.

the big "uprooting in the name of repatriation" wish some of our forefathers had is unrealistic however i feel cross-atlantic trading with each other would be the best option.

i am happy for Angola's progress though, believe it but I don't think moving there as a people, is necessary.

anyway..that's just my opinion.

again..i gotta bounce.
we can continue this later babes (talking about haiti). smiley
Re: Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 10:08am On Apr 15, 2013
Can u people, move on, stop whining and address the Op?

Stop derailing the Damn thread.......I guess yall know how to open a thread on this forum undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African by Nobody: 4:35pm On Apr 15, 2013
KidStranglehold:

Even Fidel Castro knew he was a nutjob and both almost went To war I think. And Trujillo was a mulatto himself...

Lol if castro thought he was crazy they you KNOW he was cookoo lmao.

Not you. I was just speaking in general. grin

Oh OK.

I hear in Brazil the Afro-Brazilian population is gaining a voice and also this.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/nov/17/brazil-census-african-brazilians-majority
http://en.mercopress.com/2009/04/25/black-population-becomes-the-majority-in-brazil
http://globalvoicesonline.org/2011/11/29/brazil-census-black-mixed-population/

A lot of Brazilians are starting to identify as black...I mean they should since the majority of their culture is African. Especially Capoeira...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeTaLmFd5LE

Which is STILL practiced in Angola to the VERY DAY.

Yeah i read about it. Brazil is whats up though.
Sad the blacks are the reason it has so much flavor, yet they were and still are in some areas, discriminated against. Brazil is definitely somewhere i would like to visit to see how life is there and to enjoy some brazilian bbq which i hear is the best in the world. cool

I love my Dominican girls. grin

But yo check this video out. Very interesting.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qg4_wDOApU

Yeah dominicans are cool ppl. And the women know how to do some hair looool. Their blow outs are to die 4!

I saw that video a few months ago. Im glad they are opening,their eyes. Its ok to rep being caribbean/latin/dominican...i mean lets face it dominicans are dominicans...period... But they cant deny their history.

Well I am not for certain that it was the 60s. But I DO KNOW that there was originally no true border that divided both Haiti and Dominica Rep.

I believe u. Thanks for the edu babes. i never knew that.
I always thought it was long established.

Thread seems watsups. Will check it out.

Yeah man. Join us!
In fact i got another thread im gonna make later..you'll like it wink
Re: Somebody Lied "African-american" Ain't African by khia: 3:30am On Mar 10, 2015
j

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Igbira Women, What About Them? / Words Slangs And Expressions Only People Of The South-south/nigerdelta Say. / Pictures From The Final Day Of The Third African Drum Festival, Abeokuta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.