Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,815 members, 7,817,364 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:01 AM

Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him (61757 Views)

Wole Soyinka: "InterInventions", My New Book Will Draw Blood / Wole Soyinka Receiving The Nobel Prize In 1986 (picture) / Wole Soyinka: Things You Didn’t Know About Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Nobody: 2:39am On Mar 28, 2013
gratiaeo: Wow! Is he a writer? How come his books is not popular? Abeg, what is the names of his book so i can grab my copy tomorrow
what is the names of the book?is that an english language,na by force to speak english?

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Eisenhower(m): 2:40am On Mar 28, 2013
so our honorable noble laureate have children in government and he still criticizes the government? well, how good for him at least it shows he feels the pulse of the common man...if it were some they will just keep quiet and eat continuously from the national cake( though he get benefit from it too grin grin grin). cool
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by ldpele(m): 2:55am On Mar 28, 2013
boldnbeautiful: )Ahoy my Lord!
sori to interject,he cnt b a lord but rathr a dog
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by ldpele(m): 3:14am On Mar 28, 2013
Balkan: you are a blind lobber, you will never understand. Most guys in my days that joined did not know what they were joining . You can only say what you know
lolzz,so we equaly av blind lobbers? hahaha,lobbers ll always tlk like one sha
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Nobody: 4:13am On Mar 28, 2013
iamswizz: hmmmmm.

Too long to read..

Most popular Nigerian? He wasnt even half as popular as Achebe.
Take or leave it, you're suffering from Soyinkaphobia.
Sentiment apart Wole Soyinka is far better than Chinua Achebe. Soyinka is a prolific writer (writes novels, poems and drama). While JP Clark is know for peotry, Ola Rotimi for drama, Chinua Achebe for novel (mostly fictions); Soyinka is known for all. He is seen in the same level with Williams Shakespeare whom the literary says he shares the same initials (WS) with. Apart from these, Soyinka is an activist and essayist. As an activist, he fights bad government. Whereas Achebe spoke only when Igbo people are affected, Soyinka speaks for everybody. As an essayist, he bares his mind on topical issues. For example during the same-sex bill controversy in the Senate, he wrote "Sexual Minority And Legislative Zealotry". This makes Soyinka to be known even by those that don't read books. Try this, ask or show a junior secondary school student Soyinka's picture, he will say he sees him on TV and newspapers. Apart from when Achebe rejected the national honours, controvercy from his last book and now, his death; how many times have you heard his name on the news.
The cure to your Soyinkaphobia is reasoning.

4 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Nobody: 4:15am On Mar 28, 2013
ufotuko: what is the names of the book?is that an english language,na by force to speak english?
You're suffering from Soyinkaphobia.
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Nobody: 4:17am On Mar 28, 2013
ldpele: sori to interject,he cnt b a lord but rathr a dog
A seadog.
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Nobody: 4:19am On Mar 28, 2013
~Bluetooth:

Don't worry yourself. . . Let them whine afterall bitching is their culture.

Keep up the good work. cool
They're suffering from Soyinkaphobia.
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Nobody: 4:23am On Mar 28, 2013
madridsta007: A day Back In History-

PROFESSOR WOLE SOYINKA under arrest in 1967 during the CIVIL WAR accused of being a Biafran Spy, was placed in solitary confinement for over 2yrs. He was a high profile campaigner speaking out against the human rights abuses that were spiraling out of control in Biafra. According to BBC, “Wole Soyinka was thrown into jail without trial for allegedly supporting those who wanted to break up the country.

He was imprisoned for 26 months,out of which 22 months was in solitary confinement in Lagos high security prison. And in that solitary confinement the novel "The Man Died" was written. Soyinka, a man that believes in justice, the principles of human rights and the right to self-determination of a people genuinely undergoing systematic persecution.

God bless Soyinka.
Tell them, those suffering from Soyinkaphobia. Even though he was Yoruba, his support during the war seemed to be tilting towards Biafra. This is unlike Achebe that only spoke when Igbo are involved.
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Nobody: 4:29am On Mar 28, 2013
Akshow: All de deluded eeediots crying foul about soyinka's thread get a grip of your self. Achebe is dead and gone the world won't pause. So cos achebe died we should not mention soyinka's name again abi? @poster three Gbosa for you for this interestin thread.
They're suffering from Soyinkaphobia.
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Nobody: 4:34am On Mar 28, 2013
Balkan: I don't like him for one thing. He destroyed my life. I joined pirates confratanity in my youth days in UNIBEN and I wast rusticated. He is the father of university cultism today. But Ahoy! I wil still follow you till I die. Roughest sale my capoon blood of turtuga.
Guy, are a lot of group parading themselves as PC even outside campuses. PC is no longer on campuses. Besides the name died when it decided not to operate on campuses and got a new name, Seadog.
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Nobody: 4:37am On Mar 28, 2013
ypzilanti:

Fraternity is not supposed to be cultism. Two different things entirely. The socio-economic-political situation in Nigeria converted what was supposed to be harmless clubs into killing clubs.

Let me explain. Why are cults non existent in private universities? Do they have a team of soldiers stationed in the schools? Cults arose from the dereliction of duty pervasive in the Nigerian civil service. The schools did not do their job to whip erring students into order.
Baba Soyinka himself in Punch newspaper of Wednesday.
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Nobody: 4:49am On Mar 28, 2013
Wole Soyinka is great. I read about the actor, Yomi Sholade who said he left Faculty of Law, University of Ife (now OAU) for the Department of Dramatic Arts in the same Great Ife just to be taught by Wole Soyinka.
I remember my days in OAU where students will be running after him to take pictures. Some even bought pictures of him taken by photographers.
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by stannydon(m): 5:13am On Mar 28, 2013
Is he dead?
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by ozoemeka(m): 5:46am On Mar 28, 2013
soyinka stayed busy with the ladies though
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by baby124: 5:49am On Mar 28, 2013
He did a good job keeping his private life private, and his kids out of the regular naija over pompous rubbish. They all seem well educated, grounded and humble. He has 8 kids wow. And this is the first time most people even know they exist. kiss
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by excellentmomma(f): 6:20am On Mar 28, 2013
Ola Johnson:
Tell them, those suffering from Soyinkaphobia. Even though he was Yoruba, his support during the war seemed to be tilting towards Biafra. This is unlike Achebe that only spoke when Igbo are involved.
Ta mechie onu, close ur mouth there, was d war btw Yoruba and Igbo. Soyinka is an intelligent man no doubt who saw beyond his nose.
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by eriegua83: 6:23am On Mar 28, 2013
U are an idi0t for saying that. No body is comparing them. Why bring Achebe into Soyinkas thread, you are a slow.poke.
shadrach77: Soyinka is better than Achebe
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by excellentmomma(f): 6:25am On Mar 28, 2013
Ola Johnson:
Sentiment apart Wole Soyinka is far better than Chinua Achebe. Soyinka is a prolific writer (writes novels, poems and drama). While JP Clark is know for peotry, Ola Rotimi for drama, Chinua Achebe for novel (mostly fictions); Soyinka is known for all. He is seen in the same level with Williams Shakespeare whom the literary says he shares the same initials (WS) with. Apart from these, Soyinka is an activist and essayist. As an activist, he fights bad government. Whereas Achebe spoke only when Igbo people are affected, Soyinka speaks for everybody. As an essayist, he bares his mind on topical issues. For example during the same-sex bill controversy in the Senate, he wrote "Sexual Minority And Legislative Zealotry". This makes Soyinka to be known even by those that don't read books. Try this, ask or show a junior secondary school student Soyinka's picture, he will say he sees him on TV and newspapers. Apart from when Achebe rejected the national honours, controvercy from his last book and now, his death; how many times have you heard his name on the news.
Popular in Nigeria is not being popular worldwide, moreover stop comparing both great minds. Soyinka is a friend of all. He is not a tribal bigot like u.

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by eriegua83: 6:27am On Mar 28, 2013
But every secondary school children knows ACHEBE by his works even primary school pupils.
Ola Johnson:
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Nobody: 6:29am On Mar 28, 2013
excellentmomma:
Typical yoruba man for u naa, lol!!! No discipline when it comes to women. Fela anoda typical example. Obj had to even sleep with his dota-in-law.
You may be a graduate, but you're not educated. If he had married three at goal it may be right to say he loves women.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Nobody: 6:36am On Mar 28, 2013
eriegua83: But every secondary school children knows ACHEBE by his works eve primary school pupils.
Achebe is known by students in secondary schools for fiction. In the same secondary schools, Soyinka is known for poetry, drama and novel (mostly non-fiction satire) also he's known as an activist.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by naptu2: 6:37am On Mar 28, 2013
drnoel: Am eager to read Wole soyinka's memoirs whenever he sees fit to write it and maybe also his epistle of those troubled times and his view and the part he played at the pre and post civil war era.

He has written them. Search for "The Man Died: Prison Notes", "Ake: The Years of Childhood" and "You Must Set Forth At Dawn: Memoirs".
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Nobody: 6:44am On Mar 28, 2013
excellentmomma:
Popular in Nigeria is not being popular worldwide, moreover stop comparing both great minds. Soyinka is a friend of all. He is not a tribal bigot like u.
I'm a tribal bigot, I'm setting the record straight for people like that don't read between the lines. How can you say the first blackman (I mean the first negro) and the only Nigeria to win a world prize, Nobel Laureate in Literature not presided over by Maurice Iwu is not popular worldwide. I sense you walk with your brain under your foot and sit with under your buttocks.

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by excellentmomma(f): 6:47am On Mar 28, 2013
Ola Johnson:
You may be a graduate, but you're not educated. If he had married three at goal it may be right to say he loves women.
Why is it paining u, lol!!!, did ur fada marry thrice too. Don't do dat to ur wife o, I repeat its not discipline.
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by Chynx(m): 6:49am On Mar 28, 2013
pekelepekele: Wole shoyinka here , Wole shoyinka there ,all over NL . He has really taken the place of Charly boy news posting unclad pics everywhere. cheesy
Lol cheesy
Re: Wole Soyinka: Things You Never Knew About Him by naptu2: 6:52am On Mar 28, 2013
While it's true that I like Wole Soyinka's "serious" novels and plays, my favourite Soyinka book is definitely "The Interpreters". I almost died of laughter several times while reading that book. Pity that my sister misplaced my copy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Rhoda / Baba Olowo d Long Prick (a comedy Story For All My Niggars) / African Nerd

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.