Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,271 members, 7,839,360 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:38 PM

The African Economic Revolution - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The African Economic Revolution (13263 Views)

Agricultural Transformation Agenda Of Mr.president - An Economic Revolution / Igniting Economic Revolution In Anambra State / What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The African Economic Revolution by pazienza(m): 3:11pm On Apr 02, 2013
A typical example of why a forced union like Nigeria is bound to fail was seen during the last fuel subsidy riots.

On a peripheral view,those people in the south-west and north that went on riot,were actually doing the right thing,but on a closer look,one couldn't help seeing the political and regional undertones behind those riots,one begins to wonder if GEJ were a northerner or yoruba,whether the north and yorubas would have gone on rampage and even to the extent of asking for his resignation.

This and more were on the mind of igbos and nigerdeltans,hence the reason they refused to join what otherwise would have been a noble cause,a legitimate demand for the government to be more citizen friendly.
So in the end,the bad leaders won,and the status quo remained.

In an igbo only country or a Nigeria built on a principle of justice,equity and patriotism,that riot would have been successful and the leaders forced to resign or become more citizen friendly.

The problem of Nigeria,like Achebe surmised, is a problem of leadership,not those jargons you lots are copying from textbooks and posting here. The colonial arrangements that ensured that african countries were built on forced political unions has made it impossible for Nigeria to produce the kind of leadership,needed to make her an african giant,capable of taking her place in the world politics.

1 Like

Re: The African Economic Revolution by Katsumoto: 3:13pm On Apr 02, 2013
omonnakoda: but the Ibos have been there for centuries .Why did they not beat the world all this time. What were they waiting for

Don't encourage him; he is trying to steer the conversation to his area of expertise - hate and victimization.
Re: The African Economic Revolution by pazienza(m): 3:18pm On Apr 02, 2013
omonnakoda: but the Ibos have been there for centuries .Why did they not beat the world all this time. What were they waiting for

How long did it take singapore to be a developed country? Where were they before modern times?
What were the europeans doing when egyptians and nubians were building empires?
What were they waiting for?
Re: The African Economic Revolution by pazienza(m): 3:20pm On Apr 02, 2013
Katsumoto:

Don't encourage him; he is trying to steer the conversation to his area of expertise - hate and victimization.

Yea,there goes the genocide defender,who wants to build a country with victims of his wickedness.

Keep dreaming. Your one nigeria project is a failed project.
Re: The African Economic Revolution by omonnakoda: 3:28pm On Apr 02, 2013
pazienza:

How long did it take singapour to be a developed country? Where were they before modern times?
What were the europeans doing when egyptians and nubians were building empires?

What were they waiting for?

You mean Singapore don't tell me the Ibos were waiting for Singapore

Anyway they were in China before they emigrated. Am I supposed to be educating you here?
You are empty and unruly. In your eyes you are intelligent but really you have nothing to offer even your packaged response you cannot do justice to. Your knowledge of history is based on hearsay with no real understanding of what you heard. Like that piece of poop that refuses to depart with the most energetic flushing you resurface,uglier and smellier and more repulsive each time.
We shall starve you of the attention you so desperately crave.
Re: The African Economic Revolution by Nobody: 3:33pm On Apr 02, 2013
dont mind him you just keep to the thread, intellectual discuss like this is way beyond him
Re: The African Economic Revolution by kunlekunle: 4:26pm On Apr 02, 2013
All European countries were at this atage some 250years back, till they attained the age of reasoning.
Its pure ideological reawakening.
Even bibilcally, God could not do anything untill the people were willing.
Re: The African Economic Revolution by pazienza(m): 5:48pm On Apr 02, 2013
omonnakoda:

You mean Singapore don't tell me the Ibos were waiting for Singapore

Anyway they were in China before they emigrated. Am I supposed to be educating you here?
You are empty and unruly. In your eyes you are intelligent but really you have nothing to offer even your packaged response you cannot do justice to. Your knowledge of history is based on hearsay with no real understanding of what you heard. Like that piece of poop that refuses to depart with the most energetic flushing you resurface,uglier and smellier and more repulsive each time.
We shall starve you of the attention you so desperately crave.

Ad hominem exposes your intellectual laziness. I have no time for pseudo intellectuals like you.
Re: The African Economic Revolution by pazienza(m): 5:55pm On Apr 02, 2013
lakhadimar: dont mind him you just keep to the thread, intellectual discuss like this is way beyond him

Intellectual gini? How can there be an intellectual discussion without intellectuals,cos all i see here are pseudo intellectuals.

*grins*
Re: The African Economic Revolution by oilyngbati3(m): 6:06pm On Apr 02, 2013
pazienza:

Intellectual gini? How can there be an intellectual discussion without intellectuals,cos all i see here are pseudo intellectuals.

*grins*
I almost fell of the chair LMAO grin grin. Intellectuals indeed. My brother, it's very sad that africans, especially nigerians don't see that their salvation lies in re-drawing the colonial map imposed on her by Europeans,,,very shameful.
Re: The African Economic Revolution by Gbawe: 6:09pm On Apr 02, 2013
pazienza:

You are so predictable and easily exposed. You go about talking about africa (like africa is anyones group) when it is obvious that your allegiance lies with your ethnic group. The awo statement there was a bait,made to expose your tribal affliation,and sure enough,it worked. Like i told you before,no one is deceived.

Look, you are pathetic and sad. People like you are indoctrinated to go around thinking everyone hates you and want to wipe you out. You are just a sad creature only fit to be pitied and I have long given up on your kind. You claim to be here baiting others with the name of Awolowo yet you do not realise how sad that makes you look.

Why would a sane and well-adjusted person do that? Just wait for the next civil war thread so that sad losers like you can be in your element. Get off this thread. You are nothing but a nuisance to a thread contributors are enjoying.
Re: The African Economic Revolution by pazienza(m): 6:12pm On Apr 02, 2013
oily-Yoruba:
I almost fell of the chair LMAO grin grin. Intellectuals indeed. My brother, it's very sad that africans, especially nigerians don't see that their salvation lies in re-drawing the colonial map imposed on her by Europeans,,,very shameful.

Very shameful,indeed.
Re: The African Economic Revolution by pazienza(m): 6:14pm On Apr 02, 2013
Gbawe:

Look, you are pathetic and sad. People like you are indoctrinated to go around thinking everyone hates you and want to wipe you out. You are just a sad creature only fit to be pitied and I have long given up on your kind. You claim to be here baiting others with the name of Awolowo yet you do not realise how sad that makes you look.

Why would a sane and well-adjusted person do that? Just wait for the next civil war thread so that sad losers like you can be in your element. Get off this thread. You are nothing but a nuisance to a thread contributors are enjoying.

Cool down bro. I come in peace.
Re: The African Economic Revolution by Gbawe: 6:15pm On Apr 02, 2013
Katsumoto:

Indeed. I suggest posters ignore this Pazienza chap and others like him. They only wish to take the thread in one direction to suit their irredeemable hatred of others but nothing burns losers like them more than being ignored.
Re: The African Economic Revolution by oilyngbati3(m): 6:20pm On Apr 02, 2013
pazienza:

Cool down bro. I come in peace.
Why are you calming him down? Let him drown in his delusion cheesy. You've given them the reality, and like the deaf, dum.b and blind, they refuse to yield.
Re: The African Economic Revolution by oilyngbati3(m): 6:29pm On Apr 02, 2013
My questions to any sane person here are: how can you talk of "economic revolution" in a place where you won't even allow the best to lead based on merit, rather you clowns operate a quota-based "everything"?

How can you realize "economic revolution" without a heavy-based-industrial manufacturing and not this culture of foreign goods "consumerism"? For e.g, government won't patronize a local vehicle manufacturer in nigeria.

How can terrorists/genocide sympathizers expect to achieve this so called "economic revolution" without starting from the basic task of reviewing the african borders, made in Berlin, Germany? Many questions, but no answers. Conglomeration and agglomeration of battymen calling themselves "intellectuals" grin grin grin Chei! shocked shocked shocked only in the african/nigerian jungle can you find such.

2 Likes

Re: The African Economic Revolution by Nobody: 6:46pm On Apr 02, 2013
Katsumoto:

I didn't mean to fuse all African countries into one country, I meant something similar to the EU.

Ok then. I 100% agree.

If you notice I didn't advocate any religion for Africa. I am advocating secularity; practice your religion without impacting others. Religious strife is still present in Africa and Nigeria in Nigeria. Religious strife is not good for development and growth. How many bright managers do you think will accept positions in places where there is still some sort of religious persecution?

Well, the second part of that statement of yours was misleading.

Africa has been growing for the past decade but corruption hasn't reduced. Many African countries have growth that is the envy of the world but corruption has ensured that wealth disparity between the rich and poor has increased. Poverty has reduced a bit but not by what one would have expected with the increase in exports of resources and the boom in commodity prices.

Without a conscious effort to reduce corruption and embrace some kind of societal safety net, corrupt officials will continue to get richer while others starve. Corruption doesn't have to be eliminated, it just needs to be reduced drastically. It is no coincidence that the richest Nigerians have oil blocs.

I agree. My point, however, is that an isolated attack on corruption, ignoring the context that I have spoken of, might result in an increase in corruption.

If I were corrupt in a land where corruption rules and works in all ranks of office, I would buy out any attack on my corruption. That's the real poeer of that monster.

In a land where corruption is a culture, hope of defeating corruption lies in being able to produce an alternative to it. That alternative is what esere826 is talking of in better management methods.
Re: The African Economic Revolution by Nobody: 6:54pm On Apr 02, 2013
@pazienza

Nwa nna, I na-awu m n'ala ebe a.
Re: The African Economic Revolution by Ishilove: 7:03pm On Apr 02, 2013
Ihedinobi: @pazienza

Speak English angry
Re: The African Economic Revolution by Nobody: 7:11pm On Apr 02, 2013
^^ Lol. What are you doing here, you diluted Igbo girl?
Re: The African Economic Revolution by pazienza(m): 10:33pm On Apr 02, 2013
Ihedinobi: @pazienza

Diokpa, pazienza amaadi onye nwuru, uzu akwa ya na atu/ada. Mua anagafegodi, mua akotosia iru m,ana m achi kwanu,ifu kwanu ukwu eze m.

*frowns*
Re: The African Economic Revolution by pazienza(m): 10:37pm On Apr 02, 2013
oily-Yoruba:
Why are you calming him down? Let him drown in his delusion cheesy. You've given them the reality, and like the deaf, dum.b and blind, they refuse to yield.

Bro, pazienza has human sympathy, i was trained to have that.
That guy was having a nice time with his cohorts here,only for me to come and crash their party. Surely,you can feel his pain and frustration too.
Re: The African Economic Revolution by Ishilove: 10:40pm On Apr 02, 2013
pazienza:

Diokpa, pazienza amaadi onye nwuru, uzu akwa ya na atu/ada. Mua anagafegodi, mua akotosia iru m,ana m achi kwanu,ifu kwanu ukwu eze m.

*frowns*
unne ebido shzi?

*frowns*
Re: The African Economic Revolution by pazienza(m): 11:16pm On Apr 02, 2013
Ishilove:
unne ebido shzi?

*frowns*

Ishilove,kedu maka nwanne yi nwanyi, ukwuhate?
Re: The African Economic Revolution by AndreUweh(m): 12:51am On Apr 03, 2013
Am primarily interested in the agricultural aspect of this economic revolution. It. May be odd coming from. Me, why can't we allow foreign investors to take over our agric sectors?. F.g has spent billions in agriculture and still spending with the required results.
I think it's high time to allow foreigners be on the lead.
Re: The African Economic Revolution by omonnakoda: 1:10am On Apr 03, 2013
Andre Uweh: Am primarily interested in the agricultural aspect of this economic revolution. It. May be odd coming from. Me, why can't we allow foreign investors to take over our agric sectors?. F.g has spent billions in agriculture and still spending with the required results.
Depends what you mean by "take over". I believe that Saraki tried something like that in Kwara it is not clear where that stands now. In many European countries farming runs in families so it is difficult to get upp one day and say I'm going to be a farmer without any experience or role models.It takes generations to acquire knowledge and culture that works in each country. What works in China might not work in Nigeria. Farming creates wealth but it does not create jobs directly in fact it causes job losses by introducing efficiency. The more efficient an economy gets the greater skill required to get a job as machines tend to supplant humans.It is possible to shop in a supermarket or use the Post Office interacting only with machines these days!
This is not necessarily a bad thing but we must know what to expect so we can anticipate and plan. The downstream sector of enhanced agricultural output may create more jobs in processing industries,logistics etc. There may be a place for foreigners but food security is like your military even more crucial. We need to acquire the skills ourselves. Certainly we can learn to produce more rice,fish and chicken within 20 years and develop a farming culture attractive to youths, We need to start thinking how to coordinate with our neighbouring countries particularly with regard to disease/pest control but also other ways of increasing productivity etc
Re: The African Economic Revolution by AndreUweh(m): 1:23am On Apr 03, 2013
omonnakoda:
Depends what you mean by "take over". I believe that Saraki tried something like that in Kwara it is not clear where that stands now. In many European countries farming runs in families so it is difficult to get upp one day and say I'm going to be a farmer without any experience or role models.It takes generations to acquire knowledge and culture that works in each country. What works in China might not work in Nigeria. Farming creates wealth but it does not create jobs directly in fact it causes job losses by introducing efficiency. The more efficient an economy gets the greater skill required to get a job as machines tend to supplant humans.It is possible to shop in a supermarket or use the Post Office interacting only with machines these days!
This is not necessarily a bad thing but we must know what to expect so we can anticipate and plan. The downstream sector of enhanced agricultural output may create more jobs in processing industries,logistics etc. There may be a place for foreigners but food security is like your military even more crucial. We need to acquire the skills ourselves. Certainly we can learn to produce more rice,fish and chicken within 20 years and develop a farming culture attractive to youths, We need to start thinking how to coordinate with our neighbouring countries particularly with regard to disease/pest control but also other ways of increasing productivity etc
I understand everything you are saying. A lot of sense in it, however it is not working in Nigeria. All the efforts are not yielding results. We have pests control teams, fertilisers are distributed even freely to farmers, a lot of mechanical agriculture introduced in the north.
During IBB regime, banks were created which assisted farmers, yet where are the banks and the farmers today. Ndidi Babangida also came up with Better life programme which assisted grassroots women in agriculture, yet nothing came out of it. I have lost home for our agric sector, let foreign investors take over.
Re: The African Economic Revolution by omonnakoda: 2:12am On Apr 03, 2013
Andre Uweh:
I understand everything you are saying. A lot of sense in it, however it is not working in Nigeria. All the efforts are not yielding results. We have pests control teams, fertilisers are distributed even freely to farmers, a lot of mechanical agriculture introduced in the north.
During IBB regime, banks were created which assisted farmers, yet where are the banks and the farmers today. Ndidi Babangida also came up with Better life programme which assisted grassroots women in agriculture, yet nothing came out of it. I have lost home for our agric sector, let foreign investors take over.
I really do not know whether you speak out of frustration or whether you have actually thought through what you are saying.

Agriculture is not the only thing not working in Nigeria ; The police and other security organizations are not succeeding with Boko Haram and other challenges do we invite the KGB to take over there or ask the British to come back and rule us again?.
I think that was the same sort of thinking that suggested a foreign coach for the Super Eagles. I don't know if it is true that it is "not working" Nigeria has never received food aid in my life and has often sent aid to other countries. Nigeria was exporting palm oil,groundnuts and cocoa and cocoa without foreign farmers before and will do so again,exports are growing though not where I want them to be. We are the largest producer of cassava in Africa if not the world. The largest producer of groundnuts in Africa still. In fact Nigeria probably has the largest agricultural output in Africa
I am not a government spokesman and do not even credit government but Agricultural output is increasing in Nigeria and is a major reason for our GDP growth. My point really is that you should acquaint your self with FACTS before forming opinions and think them through before speaking. You are suggesting handing over food production to foreigners. Do you have any country in mind particularly?? What happens when you have a conflict with that country? Do you know any country that has done the same. The main foods that we eat in Nigeria are Rice Wheat Yam cassava and millet.The latter 3 we produce locally and so I do not see why we need foreigners there besides I don't know any country that is better at us at producing those.

http://www.indexmundi.com/agriculture/?country=ng&commodity=palm-oil&graph=production
http://www.indexmundi.com/agriculture/?country=ng&commodity=milled-rice&graph=production
http://www.indexmundi.com/agriculture/?country=ng&commodity=corn&graph=production
Wheat will not grow in Nigeria unless some new knowledge comes along and rice production is growing. I believe we are on the right path and we are getting a lot of support from foreign partners . Japan has been particularly helpful to us.Others are the World Bank and Bill Gates Foundation. I don't think you are acquainted with the agriculture sector in Nigeria . Last year we were unfortunate that there were floods but I think even that was evidence that our output has grown as there were not marked shortages.Our population is growing but if we continue as we are we will make progress . Foreigners are welcome but I do not support "handing over" which really is a crazy idea.

1 Like

Re: The African Economic Revolution by Ishilove: 2:41am On Apr 03, 2013
pazienza:

Ishilove,kedu maka nwanne yi nwanyi, ukwuhate?
nwoke, mbu onyu ukwani, so diafore, ah yotane ife e deni
Re: The African Economic Revolution by cfours: 2:49am On Apr 03, 2013
The video looks like PR to convince investors to come to Africa.
Nwela Okonjo did the same. she went around the world telling people how great Nigeria's economy was until.... grin
Re: The African Economic Revolution by Gbawe: 6:21am On Apr 03, 2013
Andre Uweh: Am primarily interested in the agricultural aspect of this economic revolution. It. May be odd coming from. Me, why can't we allow foreign investors to take over our agric sectors?. F.g has spent billions in agriculture and still spending with the required results.

They are not spending those billions wisely or effectively. Corruption, entrenched attitude towards agriculture and leadership lack of genuine will is a big problem too.
The dearth of ideas and innovation killing Nigeria is simply amazing to behold on the ground. Cronyism, nepotism and favouritism has ruined that Nation to the extent a man trained as a butcher may find himself administering a local government.

Agriculture has to be treated as a priority. It must be viewed as an innovation-driven sector and as a veritable source of great national wealth and potential employer of labour. If that is the consistent attitude towards Agriculture, complemented by visionary leadership, then the sector can become a real winner for the Nigerian economy. Planning is key. Lip service , which is what our leaders engage in, has failed for decades now. The most important consideration is effective education and training of farmers and Government determination to fund and support the sector adequately.

Any government that is serious can initiate a "Marshall plan" for agriculture that will inculcate robust and comprehensive education and training for top, middle level farmers/agricultural scientist who can then pass on the best industry practices/standards to all sectors of our agricultural endeavour. In other word, we totally overhaul and re-engineer how we do things to match the best available.

Nation that wants to be 'reborn' through specific sectors have no hesitation at all cutting cost to massively support said sector so a 'no expense spared' approach, hopefully matched by the readiness for hard work, can yield good results ASAP. The current crop of Presidents , while oil flows, simply do not come with the vision or reforming ability to genuinely make agriculture a non-negotiable and financially well-supported priority.

Corruption also ruins the broth. While we continue to get Presidents who only pay lip service to fighting corruption, then even the inadequate funds dedicated to agriculture will not get utilised optimally.

Orientation and attitude has to change also. Nigerians hanker after white collar/prestige jobs. It is now almost a cultural indoctrination literally killing us. It blinds our youths to the potentials of a sector like Agriculture.

In short, agriculture can be relatively easy to develop and it can be impossible too. It is all about the people and the quality of leadership shaping their thinking, behaviour, attitude and knowledge.
Re: The African Economic Revolution by Gbawe: 6:49am On Apr 03, 2013
AjanleKoko: Growth without actual development. That's what we're experiencing in Africa.

.... and it will be that way for a long time because of one very crucial aspect of things many do not factor into their thinking. The money being made and taken out of the African continent. We are better of investing , without any compromise whatsoever, in top quality education aiding optimal human development that invariably creates solution providers.

We will get out of trouble quickly when many of our youths are effective 'trouble shooters' and solution providers. We need to create a cadre of young people able to harness the potentials of their own land instead of what we have now where many Africans are 'blind' and impotent bystanders in the 'carve-up' of their own continent.

When, as one example, we find oil, who positions themselves to gain financially by helping us extract it from the ground? Do we have the skilled manpower to control all facets of managing our endowment? We need to get real and plan through robust education or continue to lag behind while dreamers, supposedly the intelligentsia of the continent, write cheques for Africa our empty bank account cannot cash.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Insecurity- Obama Cancelled Visit To Nigeria / Abuja Hotels To Submit List Of Guests To Security Agencies Daily / 'Buhari, Bring Back Our Roads' - Tayo Ogunbiyi (Punch)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.