Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,013 members, 7,838,546 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 03:45 AM

The African Economic Revolution - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The African Economic Revolution (13257 Views)

Agricultural Transformation Agenda Of Mr.president - An Economic Revolution / Igniting Economic Revolution In Anambra State / What Are The 5 Most Developed Countries On The African Continent (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The African Economic Revolution by tomakint: 7:00am On Apr 03, 2013
oily-Yoruba:
My questions to any sane person here are: how can you talk of "economic revolution" in a place where you won't even allow the best to lead based on merit, rather you clowns operate a quota-based "everything"?

How can you realize "economic revolution" without a heavy-based-industrial manufacturing and not this culture of foreign goods "consumerism"? For e.g, government won't patronize a local vehicle manufacturer in nigeria.

How can terrorists/genocide sympathizers expect to achieve this so called "economic revolution" without starting from the basic task of reviewing the african borders, made in Berlin, Germany? Many questions, but no answers. Conglomeration and agglomeration of battymen calling themselves "intellectuals" grin grin grin Chei! shocked shocked shocked only in the african/nigerian jungle can you find such.
A statement of FACT, I concur totally cool

1 Like

Re: The African Economic Revolution by esere826: 8:06am On Apr 03, 2013
Gbawe:

.... and it will be that way for a long time because of one very crucial aspect of things many do not factor into their thinking. The money being made and taken out of the African continent. We are better of investing , without any compromise whatsoever, in top quality education aiding optimal human development that invariably creates solution providers.

We will get out of trouble quickly when many of our youths are effective 'trouble shooters' and solution providers. We need to create a cadre of young people able to harness the potentials of their own land instead of what we have now where many Africans are 'blind' and impotent bystanders in the 'carve-up' of their own continent.

When, as one example, we find oil, who positions themselves to gain financially by helping us extract it from the ground? Do we have the skilled manpower to control all facets of managing our endowment? We need to get real and plan through robust education or continue to lag behind while dreamers, supposedly the intelligentsia of the continent, write cheques for Africa our empty bank account cannot cash.

When I speak of lack of 'management skills', i speak of something that includes something like what u've called out
Many African nations seeem to have a challenge in 'strategy thinking'
-the ability to match action with consequence and map it to the environment, while making crucial positioning
much like chess

Hypothesis:
For some time now, i've been suspecting that it has something to do with our cultures
Our cultures did not expand into fighting major continental battles needing large strategic thinking
we did a lot of clan fightings
with imports from far flung nations -horses, gun powder etc
Somehow this was embedded in stories that were passed down and made us who we are

Now we seek to replicate this
our strategic thinking is narrowed down into fighting the next person or next community
To acheive this we need to have a war chest full of corrupt money

and import henessey, love oyibo and sell our souls to them, etc to give us a sense of confidence

Can u see a connection between the bolded-s and italic-s texts?
Re: The African Economic Revolution by esere826: 8:38am On Apr 03, 2013
For those of us that refer to Merit as the challenge Nigeria faces
we need to think again

What exactly is merit?
is it the tick box approach leading to progressive certificates?
How do you classify social skills? i.e the ability to relae with others
which has been shown to take people even further

I have seen British BEng grads driving trucks. Not because they wanted to,
but the system felt that they fit in there just fine

I have seen Nigerian PHd grads as security men in UK -The system felt that is where they fit in

I'd rather that merit be defined beyond paper qualification into ones emotional intelligence
If Obama with his merit had gone about shouting nigger and black freedom, or that whites are oppressing him
e no for dey where ihm dey now

Merit has a lot to do with ones ability to successfully strategise bearing in mind her environment

...thats my take

1 Like

Re: The African Economic Revolution by djon78(m): 8:39am On Apr 03, 2013
Africa's/Nigeria's problems are hydra headed. In Nigeria especally it is not even about carving up the country. What we are going through connects across all the ethnic group in Nigeria, it cuts across relgous groups.
What we are facing are evil/selfish leaders, leaders I am talking about are not just political leaders but, religious, buisness and ethnic leaders. These our leaders don't give a bit damn about Nigerians, all they care about is money, proft, amassing so much. That's why foregn companies will come in rip Nigerians off and get away with it, as long as our so called leaders hands are greased well. Many youths don't understand what we are up against, it is a behemoth. They corner every resources and income it brings and drop peanuts for a few that are slaves working for them while the rest, strugle to survive, when it is meant to be for all of us.

We can state great ideas in this post but the end result nothing will be achieved, we must get practcal, we must contribute wisely and intelligently by action, by doing not just cerebral excercise. Even try as much to set up our own poltical group/ platform to stand against the status quo.
Re: The African Economic Revolution by esere826: 8:43am On Apr 03, 2013
^^^

Ideas:
Spinning out ideas has its use
Although action is better

The lessons of karl marx and Stanlin shows that when ideas are birthed
some reader that is more prone to action might think through them and adopt them

Action:
I agree with you
Ideas can only be successfull actioned by a group in close proximity
I remeber stories of how Military cadets from some west african countries after schooling in nigeria
go back home to overthrow their government

But ideas need to be firmented before a group adopts it and implements it
otherwise, you'd have half baked revolutions
Libya, Nigeria -(NADECO), Egypt etc
Re: The African Economic Revolution by Gbawe: 9:19am On Apr 03, 2013
djon78: Africa's/Nigeria's problems are hydra headed. In Nigeria especally it is not even about carving up the country. What we are going through connects across all the ethnic group in Nigeria, it cuts across relgous groups.
What we are facing are evil/selfish leaders, leaders I am talking about are not just political leaders but, religious, buisness and ethnic leaders. These our leaders don't give a bit damn about Nigerians, all they care about is money, proft, amassing so much. That's why foregn companies will come in rip Nigerians off and get away with it, as long as our so called leaders hands are greased well. Many youths don't understand what we are up against, it is a behemoth. They corner every resources and income it brings and drop peanuts for a few that are slaves working for them while the rest, strugle to survive, when it is meant to be for all of us.

We can state great ideas in this post but the end result nothing will be achieved, we must get practcal, we must contribute wisely and intelligently by action, by doing not just cerebral excercise. Even try as much to set up our own poltical group/ platform to stand against the status quo.

You are 100% correct but my worry is that the behaviour of our leaders mirrors the attitude of many ordinary Nigerians.
Re: The African Economic Revolution by Gbawe: 9:32am On Apr 03, 2013
esere826:

When I speak of lack of 'management skills', i speak of something that includes something like what u've called out
Many African nations seeem to have a challenge in 'strategy thinking'
-the ability to match action with consequence and map it to the environment, while making crucial positioning
much like chess

True. I think this is something we must approach as a science. I.e we must make deliberate effort to ensure education is deliberately driven towards raising innovative minds and solutions providers. This can bear fruit massively for the African continent.

Nobody mentions "education revolution" but I think it is needed urgently and more than anything else otherwise the "economic revolution" mentioned here will simply remain what it is in reality. The plundering of Africa's wealth with average Africans themselves remaining largely the poorest beneficiaries of the wealth being created.
Re: The African Economic Revolution by esere826: 9:57am On Apr 03, 2013
Gbawe:

True. I think this is something we must approach as a science. I.e we must make deliberate effort to ensure education is deliberately driven towards raising innovative minds and solutions providers. This can bear fruit massively for the African continent.

Nobody mentions "education revolution" but I think it is needed urgently and more than anything else otherwise the "economic revolution" mentioned here will simply remain what it is in reality. The plundering of Africa's wealth with average Africans themselves remaining largely the poorest beneficiaries of the wealth being created.

Great
This brings us to the topic:
"What kind of education?"
If we scale up the present education model we have by say 1000% do we think that this will produce much positive results?
I doubt

What I think it will bring about are:
-more people wanting to weaar tie
-running away from farming
-job hunters
-Stealing money to keep up with the assumed middle class life style etc

I think there should first be an education revolution withing the present education model itself
Re: The African Economic Revolution by esere826: 10:25am On Apr 03, 2013
Gbawe:

You are 100% correct but my worry is that the behaviour of our leaders mirrors the attitude of many ordinary Nigerians.

Another excellent presentation
Digging deeper, we'll find that this a chicken and egg situation
Corrupt and ineffectual leaders come from corrupt and ineffectual people
Corrupt and ineffectual leaders create corrupt and ineffectual people
..a viscious cycle

But interestinly, its easier to change one person than a group of 10
in the same vain demanding accountability from a small leadership class making up not more than .5% of the population
should be easier than converting the entire Nigerians

All we need in Nigeria right now is for one person at the top (the president) to be a fast striking change agent
With our present political structure, he can only get there by mistake
..similar kind of mistake that brought Jonathan, a minority, to power
Re: The African Economic Revolution by djon78(m): 11:12am On Apr 03, 2013
esere826:

Another excellent presentation
Digging deeper, we'll find that this a chicken and egg situation
Corrupt and ineffectual leaders come from corrupt and ineffectual people
Corrupt and ineffectual leaders create corrupt and ineffectual people
..a viscious cycle

But interestinly, its easier to change one person than a group of 10
in the same vain demanding accountability from a small leadership class making up not more than .5% of the population
should be easier than converting the entire Nigerians

All we need in Nigeria right now is for one person at the top (the president) to be a fast striking change agent
With our present political structure, he can only get there by mistake
..similar kind of mistake that brought Jonathan, a minority, to power

True bro we need just one honest, truthful, selfless leader with impecable integrity. Sometimes I ask myself whether we offended our creator too much, Lew Quan Yew shaped Singapore that today it is one of the most prosperous nations on earth, Mohammed Mahati shaped Malaysia into a successful nation, Mao shaped China, many succesful countries today were shaped by selfless men that had love for their peoples plight and fashioned out great0 policies and vision which changed their nation. But come to Africa and then Nigeria not even one or maybe the first republic had just a little bit of visionary leaders but since then all we ever had were beasts in form of men.
Re: The African Economic Revolution by omonnakoda: 11:56am On Apr 03, 2013
esere826: For those of us that refer to Merit as the challenge Nigeria faces
we need to think again

What exactly is merit?
is it the tick box approach leading to progressive certificates?
How do you classify social skills? i.e the ability to relae with others
which has been shown to take people even further

I have seen British BEng grads driving trucks. Not because they wanted to,
but the system felt that they fit in there just fine

I have seen Nigerian PHd grads as security men in UK -The system felt that is where they fit in

I'd rather that merit be defined beyond paper qualification into ones emotional intelligence
If Obama with his merit had gone about shouting nigger and black freedom, or that whites are oppressing him
e no for dey where ihm dey now

Merit has a lot to do with ones ability to successfully strategise bearing in mind her environment

...thats my take

Merit means being Ibo.Ibo are most meritorious
Re: The African Economic Revolution by esere826: 12:41pm On Apr 03, 2013
omonnakoda:

Merit means being Ibo.Ibo are most meritorious

This might not be rigorous enough, but nevertheless a great place to start

In states largely occupied and indeginous to the 'merit-ious' group
has there been an explosion of advancement in good governance and economic prosperity?

In George orwel's book -Animal Farm, the animals kicked out man thinking the farm will become paradise
The pigs had their own agenda and soon became the new oppressors making deals with men

Some things are universal my good friend

Something peculiar to most or all groups in our space which reflects in the collective group is a dearth of CAPABILITY
We need to THINK not simply falling back on misguided ethnic sentiments

1 Like

Re: The African Economic Revolution by omonnakoda: 12:52pm On Apr 03, 2013
esere826:

This might not be rigorous enough, but nevertheless a great place to start

In states largely occupied and indeginous to the 'merit-ious' group
has there been an explosion of advancement in good governance and economic prosperity?

In George orwel's book -Animal Farm, the animals kicked out man thinking the farm will become paradise
The pigs had their own agenda and soon became the new oppressors making deals with men

Some things are universal my good friend

Something peculiar to most or all groups in our space which reflects in the collective group is a dearth of CAPABILITY
We need to THINK not simply falling back on misguided ethnic sentiments
Ibos are better than everyone else.Ibos account for 80% of non-oil GDP.The best doctors and lawyers are Ibo.Achebe the best writer was Ibo.Ojukwu the best soldier was also Ibo.
Re: The African Economic Revolution by esere826: 12:57pm On Apr 03, 2013
omonnakoda: Ibos are better than everyone else.Ibos account for 80% of non-oil GDP.The best doctors and lawyers are Ibo.Achebe the best writer was Ibo.Ojukwu the best soldier was also Ibo.

of course you are right
Even I am the most handsome dude in the world, and so is my girlfriend

.....Its just a pity that that a55hole couple, Mr and Mrs Jayzee dont feel that way sad

(Although fully understanding your intentions of tilting the debate, I respond because others might feel your comments as meritous of an e-battle which will ultimately undermine the efforts invested on this thread by capable thinkers)
Re: The African Economic Revolution by Katsumoto: 1:26pm On Apr 03, 2013
esere826:

Great
This brings us to the topic:
"What kind of education?"
If we scale up the present education model we have by say 1000% do we think that this will produce much positive results?
I doubt

What I think it will bring about are:
-more people wanting to weaar tie
-running away from farming
-job hunters
-Stealing money to keep up with the assumed middle class life style etc

I think there should first be an education revolution withing the present education model itself

The education revolution should follow whatever vision the leader has. For instance, if Nigeria is to go the manufacturing root, the emphasis should be on courses that support manufacturing. Similarly, if it is agriculture, then some emphasis should be on that as well. I am not stating that other courses be neglected but that unprofitable courses like zoology and horology be dropped. Well maybe horology until Nigeria has a watchmaking industry.

Since Nigeria has a booming film making industry, why are there no acting/dancing schools, why are courses such as cinematography, editing, screenwriting, production, etc. absent from the media faculties of Nigerian schools? Instead you have microbiology graduates auditioning for parts in movies. The Nigerian movie industry has been booming for at least 20 years; are university dons sleeping? I maybe mistaken as I am only speculating; I don’t know much about Nigerian schools.

The leaders should also offer more options; an education revolution must start with an economic and social revolutions Otherwise, as soon as the revolution takes place, everyone starts trying to get into those programs. For instance, if government encourages small and medium firms, entrepreneurship, finance and provides an enabling environment – infrastructure, then more folks would be less dependent on the small number of white-collar jobs. Small and medium firms are the mainstays of the economies of countries such as Germany, US, Switzerland, Belgium, etc
Re: The African Economic Revolution by omonnakoda: 1:27pm On Apr 03, 2013
esere826:

of course you are right

.....Its just a pity that that a55hole couple, Mr and Mrs Jayzee dont feel that way sad

(Although fully understanding your intentions of tilting the debate, I respond because others might feel your comments as meritous of an e-battle which will ultimately undermine the efforts invested on this thread by capable thinkers)

Your girlfriend is a handsome dude shocked shocked shocked
Re: The African Economic Revolution by Katsumoto: 1:29pm On Apr 03, 2013
djon78:

True bro we need just one honest, truthful, selfless leader with impecable integrity. Sometimes I ask myself whether we offended our creator too much, Lew Quan Yew shaped Singapore that today it is one of the most prosperous nations on earth, Mohammed Mahati shaped Malaysia into a successful nation, Mao shaped China, many succesful countries today were shaped by selfless men that had love for their peoples plight and fashioned out great0 policies and vision which changed their nation. But come to Africa and then Nigeria not even one or maybe the first republic had just a little bit of visionary leaders but since then all we ever had were beasts in form of men.

Don't mean to be pedantic but what Mao gave China would not have been different from what Castro gave Cuba. Deng Xiaoping started the Chinese Economic Reforms in 1978.
Re: The African Economic Revolution by omonnakoda: 1:44pm On Apr 03, 2013
Katsumoto:

Don't mean to be pedantic but what Mao gave China would not have been different from what Castro gave Cuba. Deng Xiaoping started the Chinese Economic Reforms in 1978.
I dont think that is fair at all. Cuba is a small nation with a big neighbour hell bent on strangulating it.Even with those constraints and few natural resources Cuba still has one of the best healthcare systems in the world with a life expectancy over 70 years and a per capita income close to $10000 which is much higher than Nigeria or even China today. America will resolve their differences with Cuba one day and Cuba will be a leader in the region relative to its small size It is better poised than many of its neighbours.Venezuela a wealthier nation still sent its President there for treatment Cuba is "poised" just like China was when Deng took over. What do I mean by poised? They have a high grade of human capital which can rapidly transform their nation when hostile conditions disappear. Cuba has a whopping 99.8% literacy rate ,that is what Castro gave them ,the Chinese did not suddenly learn how to lay rail lines and build aircraft in 1978. The difference is we are not poised despite having VERY favourable conditions. Our workforce is generally badly educated/trained and we have not invested in the right skills. I am no fan of Mao but there are features intrinsic to the Chinese that were always going to bring them to the top Mao or no Mao. They are a very old civilization. As Ben Okri wrote what we witness in China is "merely the fructification the success happened" a long time ago. In short we come to the ring for a coronation but the title is won in the gym. Mao and others before him are all major contributors to where the Chinese are today.T
Re: The African Economic Revolution by Katsumoto: 1:50pm On Apr 03, 2013
omonnakoda:
I dont think that is fair at all. Cuba is a small nation with a big neighbour hell bent on strangulating it.Even with those constraints and few natural resources Cuba still has one of the best healthcare systems in the world with a life expectancy over 70 years. America will resolve their differences with Cuba one day and Cuba will be a leader in the region relative to its small size It is better poised than many of its neighbours.Venezuela a wealthier nation still sent its President there for treatment Cuba is "poised" just like hina was when Deng took over. What do I mean by poised? They have a high grade of human capital which can rapidly transform their nation when hostile conditions disappear. the Chinese did not suddenly learn how to lay rail lines and build aircraft in 1978. The difference is we are not poised despite having VERY favourable conditions. Our workforce is generally badly educated/trained and we have not invested in the right skills. I am no fan of Mao but there are features intrinsic to the Chinese that were always going to bring them to the top Mao or no Mao. They are a very old civilization. As Ben Okri wrote what we witness in China is "merely the fructification the success happened" a long time ago. In short we come to the ring for a coronation but the title is won in the gym. Mao and others before him are all major contributors to where the Chinese are today.T

And where did the USSR with its communist ideology get? What about China, didn't it have to embrace State Capitalism before it started booming? My point - size is not relevant. I wasn't denigrating Cuba, I was merely stating that China would not be the nation it is today if Deng Xiaoping didn't start economic reforms.

I don't want to derail this thread by having a capitalism/socialism debate.
Re: The African Economic Revolution by omonnakoda: 1:57pm On Apr 03, 2013
Katsumoto:

And where did the USSR with its communist ideology get? What about China, didn't it have to embrace State Capitalism before it started booming? My point - size is not relevant. I wasn't denigrating Cuba, I was merely stating that China would not be the nation it is today if Deng Xiaoping didn't start economic reforms.

I don't want to derail this thread by having a capitalism/socialism debate.
I am not having a capitalist/socialist debate . (Where is capitalism getting Cyprus,Greece,Ireland,Spain or Portugal?)China USSR are different countries just like Germany and Spain are different countries too
To measure outcome based on one variable Capitalism/communism is wrong is that the only factor at play ? What about friends,enemies ,alliances etc.
One might as well ask where is Catholicism getting Italy.Cultural and many other intrinsic variables make a huge difference too

.Just pointing out that Cuba is not the right example to use disparagingly.Cuba is better off than China on any index of Human development. Whether percapita income,literacy,life expectancy,infant mortality etc.
So when you say "what Castro gave Cuba". We would be very lucky to get that in Nigeria in 20 years time!!!
Castro has done very well by his country men
Re: The African Economic Revolution by pazienza(m): 2:07pm On Apr 03, 2013
Ishilove:
nwoke, mbu onyu ukwani, so diafore, ah yotane ife e deni

Taa! Gbafuo ebea. Stop being clannish, you better go and learn central igbo. You are ukwuani,and so what? Are you more ukwuani than eze obi ossai who openly declared his igbo kinship with those across the niger? Aboh was called eboe town for a reason. Unless you are one of the descendants of eze obi ossai's hausa slaves, the big eze had lots of them those days.

1 Like

Re: The African Economic Revolution by Rossikk(m): 2:07pm On Apr 03, 2013
djon78:

The African leadership that succeeded the post colonial progressive leaders were intimidated by the sabotage/assassination of their illustrious forbears - Nkrumah, Patrice Lumumba, Sankara, Amílcar Cabral, Murtala Muhammed etc etc. presumably with the involvement of foreign intelligence agencies. The succeeding generation of leaders became more pliant to foreign imperialist machinations.

The way to sidestep this problem is to depersonalise leadership. Instead of having a Castro or Chavez, spread the power and responsibility to effect progressive action to institutional structures like the national assembly, central bank, house of reps, state govts, the various ministries, the military, and even the private sector. Then the enemies won't know who to target.

1 Like

Re: The African Economic Revolution by pazienza(m): 2:22pm On Apr 03, 2013
esere826:

of course you are right

Ihedinobi, can you see it? Tribalists posing as intellectuals. May Amadioha,Ogwugwu,Ali never allow an Ihedinobi to be in charge of igbo affairs.
If awo was an intellectual,yet saw it fit to starve people of other tribes, don't expect awo followers and genocide sympathizers to be any different. Their allegiance lie with their ethnic group,and rightly so. No one,especially an igbo,should be deceived by their attempt to appear pan-african/nigerian.

Andre,you really 'fall' my hand, discussing with these tribalists, what went wrong my man. This is so unlike you.
Re: The African Economic Revolution by pazienza(m): 2:31pm On Apr 03, 2013
omonnakoda: Ibos are better than everyone else.Ibos account for 80% of non-oil GDP.The best doctors and lawyers are Ibo.Achebe the best writer was Ibo.Ojukwu the best soldier was also Ibo.

Another tribalist, yet he wants to build a country with igbos. *hehe*
Re: The African Economic Revolution by esere826: 2:44pm On Apr 03, 2013
Katsumoto:

The education revolution should follow whatever vision the leader has. For instance, if Nigeria is to go the manufacturing root, the emphasis should be on courses that support manufacturing. Similarly, if it is agriculture, then some emphasis should be on that as well. I am not stating that other courses be neglected but that unprofitable courses like zoology and horology be dropped. Well maybe horology until Nigeria has a watchmaking industry.

Since Nigeria has a booming film making industry, why are there no acting/dancing schools, why are courses such as cinematography, editing, screenwriting, production, etc. absent from the media faculties of Nigerian schools? Instead you have microbiology graduates auditioning for parts in movies. The Nigerian movie industry has been booming for at least 20 years; are university dons sleeping? I maybe mistaken as I am only speculating; I don’t know much about Nigerian schools.

The leaders should also offer more options; an education revolution must start with an economic and social revolutions Otherwise, as soon as the revolution takes place, everyone starts trying to get into those programs. For instance, if government encourages small and medium firms, entrepreneurship, finance and provides an enabling environment – infrastructure, then more folks would be less dependent on the small number of white-collar jobs. Small and medium firms are the mainstays of the economies of countries such as Germany, US, Switzerland, Belgium, etc

I couldnt have said it better
(Did u watch Isha sesays interview with Amata (the producer)?

When he said Nollywood meant not hollywood u cld see that Isha was taken aback that she didnt find this out
This information wasn not easilly available to the general public)

How come our universities dont churn out research and publications on striving industries in Nigeria?
The dons are aparently a product of a dismal educational system that do not see the need to research and institutionalize Nigeria's potentially thriving industries

so so copy and paste
Re: The African Economic Revolution by esere826: 2:52pm On Apr 03, 2013
Rossikk:

The African leadership that succeeded the post colonial progressive leaders were intimidated by the sabotage/assassination of their illustrious forbears - Nkrumah, Patrice Lumumba, Sankara, Amílcar Cabral, Murtala Muhammed etc etc. presumably with the involvement of foreign intelligence agencies. The succeeding generation of leaders became more pliant to foreign imperialist machinations.

The way to sidestep this problem is to depersonalise leadership. Instead of having a Castro or Chavez, spread the power and responsibility to effect progressive action to institutional structures like the national assembly, central bank, house of reps, state govts, the various ministries, the military, and even the private sector. Then the enemies won't know who to target .

While agreeing with the first half of your comment
i beg to disagree with the second half

Leadership by its very definition points to a person or few persons
Depersonalizing leadership is another way to say outsourcing leadership to many
Only highly sophisticated groups can work this way

Perhaps what you meant was that a lot of people should be trained to have leadership capabilities
or that institutions should be strenghted to perform their roles

The question becomes who strengthens them?
Should they together with the 'leader' be applauded to stumble and fumble until they reach lala land?

Intelligent institutions build scenarios as fail safe measures
(If A happens, do B. If B has K leg escallate to C
B has K-leg when if u draw a straight line and tell K to walk on it, he cannot etc)
Re: The African Economic Revolution by esere826: 3:07pm On Apr 03, 2013
^^^^
@Rosikk

If for any reason, you were trying to justify Jonathans approach to governance,
all well and good

What should then be pushed for is that the constitution clearly spells out what the president cannot do and provide punishment. For example:
1) The president must not have any discussions with the judiciary on corruption cases
2) The president must not be CIC of the armed forces
3) The president must not intefer with the ministries. Interference is defined as not calling the HOD to order or setting in place KPI's

etc
Then we can all nod our head and say that its not the president's fault. Its the ministers, Generals, and judiciary
Re: The African Economic Revolution by kunlekunle: 4:11pm On Apr 03, 2013
esere826:

I couldnt have said it better
(Did u watch Isha sesays interview with Amata (the producer)?

When he said Nollywood meant not hollywood u cld see that Isha was taken aback that she didnt find this out
This information wasn not easilly available to the general public)

How come our universities dont churn out research and publications on striving industries in Nigeria?
The dons are aparently a product of a dismal educational system that do not see the need to research and institutionalize Nigeria's potentially thriving industries

so so copy and paste

U are spot on this issue you raised,
but we need to understand that the type education given by the colonial master is theoretical in nature. We need a practical education that will enable us comptete globally.
Most of our uni lecturers are outdated.
Re: The African Economic Revolution by esere826: 5:12pm On Apr 03, 2013
kunlekunle:

U are spot on this issue you raised,
but we need to understand that the type education given by the colonial master is theoretical in nature. We need a practical education that will enable us comptete globally.
Most of our uni lecturers are outdated.

Please kindly substitute with:
Powers
invaders
- ists
etc

'Master' has a negative subtle psychological effect on us,
and was the word they used in describing themselves to make them look good

......Indeed its a relic from our colonial educational past
Re: The African Economic Revolution by donguutti: 6:28pm On Apr 03, 2013
Now that we have identified most of our problems, and have proffered some solutions, how do we
transform these ideas in the "cloud" to realities on ground.Because if we just postulate without any
implementation, we wont be any different from those "at the top".

At least we could start with the easier, less politicized issues -Educating the youth.etc
Re: The African Economic Revolution by Ishilove: 6:39pm On Apr 03, 2013
pazienza:

Taa! Gbafuo ebea. Stop being clannish, you better go and learn central igbo. You are ukwuani,and so what? Are you more ukwuani than eze obi ossai who openly declared his igbo kinship with those across the niger? Aboh was called eboe town for a reason. Unless you are one of the descendants of eze obi ossai's hausa slaves, the big eze had lots of them those days.
Clannish?

Don't let my kinfolk hear you o grin. They distanced themselves from the igbo race during the civil war and take umbrage whenever they are lumped with igbo people. I've been brought up with that mind set and it's not going to change anytime soon grin cool
Re: The African Economic Revolution by esere826: 7:56pm On Apr 03, 2013
donguutti: Now that we have identified most of our problems, and have proffered some solutions, how do we
transform these ideas in the "cloud" to realities on ground.Because if we just postulate without any
implementation, we wont be any different from those "at the top".

At least we could start with the easier, less politicized issues -Educating the youth.etc

This has already begun, unconventionally
For example, if you dig through NairaLand forum yo'll see excellent attempts at Knowledge Transfer
I also do my bit on this forum and others (when I'm not e-chasing chicks)

Check out some success stories on NL. There is one about SAP solution that you'll see how in a course of time folks where asking for advise and were given advise by diasporean Nigerians. Some of them took up the challenge, became successful and testified in the same thread.

In fact, the internet offers a limitless field of knowledge that can be tapped into. its almost as the scriptures says: "in the last days knowledge shall increase" Daniel 12:4

But unlike the conventional education, the youths have to reach out to it, and work at processing and analysing the information available

This is why we tell folks to expand beyond tribalism and 'my gun is bigger than urs' attitudes
...........and actually seek, sift and think through available infinite information

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Happy 76th Birthday To Olusegun Obasanjo / War In Ngige's Camp As Annie Okonkwo Turns His Back On APC and Ngige's bid / Presidential Election Results For Lagos (updates)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.