Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,136 members, 7,814,977 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:33 AM

A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures - Culture (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures (154594 Views)

Most Cubans Originated From Yorubaland – Ambassador / Alaafin Of Oyo Awards Aregbesola Title Of Omoluabi Of Yorubaland (PHOTOS) / The Art And Architecture Of Yorubaland! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by MetaPhysical: 11:37pm On Nov 24, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

ID.IOT! ahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

kalb means HEART!

It was just an example!

It has nothing to do with Qiblah or pre-islam or whatever. lipsrsealed cry

You are so arrogant. You assume nobody here understand Arabia or speaks Arabic, right? grin

Beside google you have nothing supporting your knowledge of Arabia or its pre Islamic paganism.

Let me show you the connection between Kalb and Qiblah. This is information you cannot find in google and it proves why you returned with insult instead of answering my challenge.
I didnt introduce the word, you did..so why is it hard for you to defend things you have no resource to defend?

Im not going into details, very brief because there are things not worth my time discussing on nl.

K-l-b

Ka - the spark of life, reminding of mortality.
La - the polar of la and al, the which is affirming and at same time negating. Functionally a bridge.
Bi - the spark of multiplicity. It functions here as a principle of immortality or something sustained into future.

In astrology, Leo is ruled by the sun, which rises from the East, but Leo is physiologically connected with the heart.

Yoruba of ancients worshipped moon and a black stone is carried by a person at the head of the ritual procession.

No need to talk in length.

Qi - a source or core
Bi - a chain of continuum
La - essence of duality

The sun, the moon and the holy sacrifice!!!

I can even go further and connect this with how the Jesus cross came into existence.

These are knowledges i expect a pagan such as yourself to know, instead you are using google to interprete terms..yet you are the first always to post in supersized 25 fonts and dismiss people contribution as "bs".

Tame your ego and start respecting people, or I will tame it for you. Fool!

** i had to clean somethings out after your read..cus i realize it doesnt matter how much i give caution some ppl will turn the mention of islam and sun into something else.
Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by PAGAN9JA(m): 11:48pm On Nov 24, 2013
^WTF IS THIS NONSENSE?

ka la bi?! * smh shocked

I am out of here.

I thought i was dealing with a sane person and i could help you.

now i realised.

Either that or you are obaidahs twin brother.
Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by 740megawatts: 8:03am On Nov 25, 2013
ladionline: Hello Tony, I know you will buy into macof theory of evolution. Well i dont because Darwinian theory is 'politico', 'precept of biology'. Just type in 'Darwin is a racist' to google and study the feedback. Imagine if his precept had been possible! I will be moaning in one portacabin now if not yet extinted. There is eternity of difference between 'science fantasy' and 'fantastic science'. [b]Those folks on the ijebu thread are die-hard science fantasists, rumbling endlessly in selfish prudence of their knowledge without truce forever. [/b]Fantastic science is ability to explain the obvious with minimal word and resource usage for maximal, durable and verifiable applications, with nothing to do with your biases. These punks are zealot and overtrained geeks obsessed with biological doctrines and academic 'dogma'. They are pathetically busy with the burden of proof.

Lol....I read that thread and was amazed at the unnecessary back-and-forth by the protagonists and antagonists of genetic scientific history. Sometimes, it is better to watch such discussions as a spectator just like the ancient Romans would do while watching gladiators fight at the arena.
Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by TonySpike: 8:48am On Nov 25, 2013
On a thread like this, several inputs emerge and I do appreciate true historians like Terracotta and Katsumoto who are sharing their knowledge in these area of Yoruba history based on their own painstaking research. I am here to learn and I am very open to knowledge because I am a student in my own field of pursuit also. However, I have discovered that there are so many angles to Yoruba history each with its own politics, culture, religious inclinations and social perception. For example, I am surprised that the Oduduwa legend was ascribed a female personality by some Yoruba groups as explained by Terracotta. As far as my primary and High School days, I was taught about the mythical Oduduwa who descended from Heaven via chain with a cock and palm seedlings (I think). I have considered my personal research into Yoruba history as my own way of understanding the past of my people. It has paid off so far and I'm glad about that. In my family line, my great grandfather was the chief custodian of the King's burial rite (somewhere among the Eastern Yoruba clans) and he was a specifically titled for that purpose. I am saying this to disprove someone who suggested I am an 'Akata'.

As a researcher, one of the things I've learnt is that knowledge itself undergoes several stages of hypothesis and theory to become what it is. The most important aspect to this is establishing the truths through the validation of such knowledge or even history. Validation of ancient history is very rigorous and sometimes, very impossible which is why archaeology is very important. Being impervious to hypothesis without any established basis is a very unwholesome attitude and any researcher should know that. I will hereby watch this thread as a spectator rather than contribute. Thanks to all.
Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by Nobody: 8:49am On Nov 25, 2013
ladionline: Hello Tony, I know you will buy into macof theory of evolution. Well i dont because Darwinian theory is 'politico', 'precept of biology'. Just type in 'Darwin is a racist' to google and study the feedback. Imagine if his precept had been possible! I will be moaning in one portacabin now if not yet extinted. There is eternity of difference between 'science fantasy' and 'fantastic science'. Those folks on the ijebu thread are die-hard science fantasists, rumbling endlessly in selfish prudence of their knowledge without truce forever. Fantastic science is ability to explain the obvious with minimal word and resource usage for maximal, durable and verifiable applications, with nothing to do with your biases. These punks are zealot and overtrained geeks obsessed with biological doctrines and academic 'dogma'. They are pathetically busy with the burden of proof.

I don't know if you included me in this "box", however, I don't deal dwell too much on science/epistles/theories/hypothesis/fantasies hence why all my rebuttals on that thread were short and precise. I only post a few historical facts, based on timeline, just to connect a few dots to see if the far East claims might be plausible. Not really a big fan of genetics, btw.

Anyway, I just want to ask you a few questions since it seems you're very knowledgeable when it comes to Yoruba etymology. Can you tell me why some places on Lagos Island have "Idu" as the prefix to their names? IDU-mota, IDU-magbo, IDU-ganran et al? I saw this on an online publication - however certain sources said, "Idu" also means "Edo." While alternative sources said, "Idu" is an Ijebu word - hence why those places with "idu" prefix are Ijebu settlements on Lagos Island.

Thanks in advance.
Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by Katsumoto: 3:39pm On Nov 25, 2013
TerraCotta:

Fair enough. Oranyan and Oranmiyan are both Yoruba; the Benin version is Omonoyan, I believe. The feminine aspect of Oduduwa is not just in Ketu (although it's more prominent there). Your point about some confusion between Odudua and his daughter is possible, although that wouldn't explain why there are references to a female Odudua elsewhere. My understanding is that both male and female versions refer to a mythical personality and not a real person. There's a similar case with the deity Olokun, who is female in Ife but unquestionably male in Benin.

You ask who sired Ajaka and Sango and again, my suggestion to you is that you compare these traditions to other well-known examples in world mythology. To take a leaf from the rampant speculation in this thread, where did Adam and Eve come from in Judeo-Christian mythology? Who was the Scorpion King's father in ancient Egypt, or Odysseus in ancient Greece? Oduduwa was said to be present at the creation of humanity at Ife; competing myths that depict him as a real person aren't necessarily more realistic.

That's a completely fair question, but it's not one that can be answered with any certainty by history. Archaeologists can tell you that there's proof of occupation of Ife by 350 BC (although this early date has been disputed) and the clear emergence of a politically advanced society by about 800-900 AD (when we start seeing the emergence of potsherd pavements and other notable political/religious architecture). The peak of Ife's art seems to be around 1300 AD, when the most famous of the brass and terracotta heads appear to have been made. Those are the most certain dates we can point to right now if we want to discuss established facts. The rest we wil have to treat carefully as oral traditions that we can verify as truth (Ife was a center of political development and manufacturing of prestige goods like beads, brass art etc) or classify as myth (Ife was the center of the world's creation). I don't have anything against the idea that there was a warrior king named Oduduwa, but there are several reasons to doubt his historical existence so I prefer to classify it amongst the myths.

I don't take it for granted that Sango was a historic personality either (breathing fire and so on as he did) so it doesn't surprise me that his wives turned into rivers. Before the nineteenth century, there were few professional historians in our region of the world--there were bards, royal storytellers and the like. Their job wasn't to maintain an accurate written record of the past; they were retained to chronicle the glorious ancestry of noble families. While they would undoubtedly have to base this on historical events, they would naturally be poets and embellishers as well. As we've seen from Sultan Bello's example, even written records were influenced by religious and political concerns so we can't take them at face value.

Not a problem. When you have a moment (and if you haven't already), the first two chapters of Robert Smith's 'Kingdoms of the Yoruba' include summaries of Prof. Obayemi's archeological work and theories on Yoruba antiquity: http://books.google.com/books?id=ric6OhxbCS0C&pg=PA10&lpg=PA10&dq=ade+obayemi+yoruba&source=bl&ots=tacfbue9Qp&sig=UJvKt5ntV4B-jGYg3JSpWHa4KjU&hl=en&sa=X&ei=YDmSUsvOF5SisQSo-4HoBg&ved=0CEEQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=ade%20obayemi%20yoruba&f=false

Let's not conflate mythology with accepted reality in other to term it all mythology. You rightly stated that noble families had poets and bards whose jobs were to embellish and create legends of their sponsors.

1. The female Oduduwa is mythical. Similar to the Oduduwa that climbed down a chain. Most historians agree Oduduwa was male. Whilst you may not agree that Oduduwa was Ekaladerhan, there is sufficient evidence from both Ife and Bini sources to conclude that there was a man called Oduduwa. Bini has no reason to lie about a Chief Oliha traveling to Ife to request for Oduduwa to assume the throne of his fathers. It is another argument whether the man they met at Ife was in fact Ekaladerhan. Both Bini and Ife agree that there was a man called Oduduwa. Ife doesn't exactly date Oduduwa's reign but Bini dates it at 12th/13th century based on the time of Oranmiyan in Bini and the birth of Oba Eweka.

2. It may be difficult to date pre-christ Yoruba migrations/life/etc but it's not that difficult with Yoruba 1000 years ago. We can't place Adam & Eve in the same category as Sango/Ajaka. As in one above, Ajaka and Sango were sired by Oranyan. It is universally accepted that Sango's mother is Tapa and he lived with his mother's people until he was called by the Oyo mesi to rescue Ajaka from the Owu. Ife and Bini historians agree that Oranyan was the father of Eweka, Ajaka, and Sango. There is a reason why Ife and Bini argue about who is who's father. Ife states that it sired Bini because Oranyan's son became King and Bini states that it sired Ife because Ekaladerhan/Oduduwa was king at Ife.

3. Very important - Oduduwa is not the progenitor of the Yoruba and that is why Ijebu reference does not go to him. Oduduwa being present at the creation of the world is Ife mythology. It is not Yoruba mythology. The battles between Oduduwa and Obatala has both real and mythological versions. Mythology - 1) Oduduwa was female and Obatala's wife 2) Oduduwa climbed down a chain and completed the job Olodunmare asked Obatala to do (create the world), hence the feud between them. Reality - Oduduwa met Obatala at Ife and fought him. There are various versions of this battle. 1) The people revolted and made Oduduwa king (Bini version) 2) Oduduwa invaded with a party (Ife), hence the celebration of this battle at Ife. Oduduwa's children established many kingdoms, hence why his version of creation is told in most places. Ifa was present at Ife through Orunmila and it is said that Ifa foretold of Oduduwa's emergence. Obayemi's works is proof of Yoruba pre-dating Oduduwa. Yoruba history is similar to British history. The creation of the start of the British nation is credited to Saxons. They came with their language and the first English kings were Saxons. But there were Britons on the island before the Saxon invasion.

4. We should not class everything as myth simply because there is some embellishment. We must try to identify what is real and ignore the legends. To doubt Oduduwa is to doubt Oranmiyan, Eweka, Sango and all the kings who came after them. I am not really trying to convince you but only that you need to come up with something stronger than the notion that since there is some myth, then everything must be mythology. There is mythology about Sango but should we doubt his existence as well? There is mythology about Odysseus but his existence is confirmed in Greek, Turkish, and Italian history. And while there is some controversy about his father, it is generally accepted that Laertes was his father.
Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by macof(m): 5:03pm On Nov 25, 2013
Katsumoto:

Let's not conflate mythology with accepted reality in other to term it all mythology. You rightly stated that noble families had poets and bards whose jobs were to embellish and create legends of their sponsors.

1. The female Oduduwa is mythical. Similar to the Oduduwa that climbed down a chain. Most historians agree Oduduwa was male. Whilst you may not agree that Oduduwa was Ekaladerhan, there is sufficient evidence from both Ife and Bini sources to conclude that there was a man called Oduduwa. Bini has no reason to lie about a Chief Oliha traveling to Ife to request for Oduduwa to assume the throne of his fathers. It is another argument whether the man they met at Ife was in fact Ekaladerhan. Both Bini and Ife agree that there was a man called Oduduwa. Ife doesn't exactly date Oduduwa's reign but Bini dates it at 12th/13th century based on the time of Oranmiyan in Bini and the birth of Oba Eweka. [left][/left]
The female Oduduwa which Alaketu talks about must be one of Oduduwa's daughters whose son is The first Alaketu.
In Yoruba Spirituality , Oduduwa has been regarded as the personification of the Earth usually portrayed as wife of Obatala, like in Greak spirituality Gaia is wife of Uranus, in canaanite spirituality, asherah is wife of El.

but there's every reason to believe the human Oduduwa was male, The issue now is where he was from. I still dont believe that Bini story
Katsumoto:
2. It may be difficult to date pre-christ Yoruba migrations/life/etc but it's not that difficult with Yoruba 1000 years ago. We can't place Adam & Eve in the same category as Sango/Ajaka. As in one above, Ajaka and Sango were sired by Oranyan. It is universally accepted that Sango's mother is Tapa and he lived with his mother's people until he was called by the Oyo mesi to rescue Ajaka from the Owu. Ife and Bini historians agree that Oranyan was the father of Eweka, Ajaka, and Sango. There is a reason why Ife and Bini argue about who is who's father. Ife states that it sired Bini because Oranyan's son became King and Bini states that it sired Ife because Ekaladerhan/Oduduwa was king at Ife.
Those it even matter where Oduduwa came from. fact is oba of bini, alaafin of Oyo and other major king of Yorubaland are his direct descendants
Katsumoto:
3. Very important - Oduduwa is not the progenitor of the Yoruba and that is why Ijebu reference does not go to him. Oduduwa being present at the creation of the world is Ife mythology. It is not Yoruba mythology. The battles between Oduduwa and Obatala has both real and mythological versions. Mythology - 1) Oduduwa was female and Obatala's wife 2) Oduduwa climbed down a chain and completed the job Olodunmare asked Obatala to do (create the world), hence the feud between them. Reality - Oduduwa met Obatala at Ife and fought him. There are various versions of this battle. 1) The people revolted and made Oduduwa king (Bini version) 2) Oduduwa invaded with a party (Ife), hence the celebration of this battle at Ife. Oduduwa's children established many kingdoms, hence why his version of creation is told in most places. Ifa was present at Ife through Orunmila and it is said that Ifa foretold of Oduduwa's emergence. Obayemi's works is proof of Yoruba pre-dating Oduduwa. Yoruba history is similar to British history. The creation of the start of the British nation is credited to Saxons. They came with their language and the first English kings were Saxons. But there were Britons on the island before the Saxon invasion.
Katsumoto:
4. We should not class everything as myth simply because there is some embellishment. We must try to identify what is real and ignore the legends. To doubt Oduduwa is to doubt Oranmiyan, Eweka, Sango and all the kings who came after them. I am not really trying to convince you but only that you need to come up with something stronger than the notion that since there is some myth, then everything must be mythology. There is mythology about Sango but should we doubt his existence as well? There is mythology about Odysseus but his existence is confirmed in Greek, Turkish, and Italian history. And while there is some controversy about his father, it is generally accepted that Laertes was his father.

Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by macof(m): 5:03pm On Nov 25, 2013
Katsumoto:

1. The female Oduduwa is mythical. Similar to the Oduduwa that climbed down a chain. Most historians agree Oduduwa was male. Whilst you may not agree that Oduduwa was Ekaladerhan, there is sufficient evidence from both Ife and Bini sources to conclude that there was a man called Oduduwa. Bini has no reason to lie about a Chief Oliha traveling to Ife to request for Oduduwa to assume the throne of his fathers. It is another argument whether the man they met at Ife was in fact Ekaladerhan. Both Bini and Ife agree that there was a man called Oduduwa. Ife doesn't exactly date Oduduwa's reign but Bini dates it at 12th/13th century based on the time of Oranmiyan in Bini and the birth of Oba Eweka. [left][/left]
The female Oduduwa which Alaketu talks about must be one of Oduduwa's daughters whose son is The first Alaketu.
In Yoruba Spirituality , Oduduwa has been regarded as the personification of the Earth usually portrayed as wife of Obatala, like in Greak spirituality Gaia is wife of Uranus, in canaanite spirituality, asherah is wife of El.

but there's every reason to believe the human Oduduwa was male, The issue now is where he was from. I still dont believe that Bini story
Katsumoto:
does it even matter where Oduduwa came from? fact is oba of bini, alaafin of Oyo and other major king of Yorubaland are his direct descendants
Katsumoto:
Oduduwa in creation is not Oduduwa the human. Oduduwa in creation is a personification of an unseen force, the dark energy that formed matter.
Ife mythology is not Yoruba mythology In wat way? Ife is the beginning of Yoruba, so why put a difference?

Katsumoto:

No! We shouldn't ignore wat seems like a myth but understand it and interpret the use of personification
Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by Katsumoto: 5:31pm On Nov 25, 2013
macof:

does it even matter where Oduduwa came from? fact is oba of bini, alaafin of Oyo and other major king of Yorubaland are his direct descendants

Oduduwa in creation is not Oduduwa the human. Oduduwa in creation is a personification of an unseen force, the dark energy that formed matter.
Ife mythology is not Yoruba mythology In wat way? Ife is the beginning of Yoruba, so why put a difference?

No! We shouldn't ignore wat seems like a myth but understand it and interpret the use of personification

I already provided that the female Oduduwa being referred to in Ketu must be Oduduwa's grand-daughter who sired the first Alaketu or married the first Alaketu. Everything else you stated is in line with my posts. For me, it matters where Oduduwa is from because it establishes, for me, the period of his reign. It is precisely why I don't believe the Middle Eastern origins of Oduduwa as held by some Yoruba historians and Dierk Lange. According to the arabian tales held by Muslims in Northern Nigeria and Mali, Oduduwa is said to be the son of Sargon, but Sargon II ruled about 600 BC. Did Oduduwa live for 1800 years? That story has many holes.

For me, the Bini story is most plausible. For the Bini story to be untrue, Oduduwa himself would have had to have been a fraud. That is, he would have had to have pretended to be the lost Bini prince, when in fact, he wasn't.

And Ife is not the beginning of Yoruba. Your holding on to Ife being the beginning of Yoruba is biased because you are from Ife. Ife birthed many other Yoruba kingdoms through Oduduwa's offspring. Yoruba spirituality birthed in Ife. The history of the Niger-Congo language family puts the Yoruba separating from the Igbo, Edo, Ijo about 3000 years ago. This predates Oduduwa.
Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by MetaPhysical: 5:43pm On Nov 25, 2013
Tony Spike: On a thread like this, several inputs emerge and I do appreciate true historians like Terracotta and Katsumoto who are sharing their knowledge in these area of Yoruba history based on their own painstaking research. I am here to learn and I am very open to knowledge because I am a student in my own field of pursuit also. However, I have discovered that there are so many angles to Yoruba history each with its own politics, culture, religious inclinations and social perception. For example, I am surprised that the Oduduwa legend was ascribed a female personality by some Yoruba groups as explained by Terracotta. As far as my primary and High School days, I was taught about the mythical Oduduwa who descended from Heaven via chain with a cock and palm seedlings (I think). I have considered my personal research into Yoruba history as my own way of understanding the past of my people. It has paid off so far and I'm glad about that. In my family line, my great grandfather was the chief custodian of the King's burial rite (somewhere among the Eastern Yoruba clans) and he was a specifically titled for that purpose. I am saying this to disprove someone who suggested I am an 'Akata'.

As a researcher, one of the things I've learnt is that knowledge itself undergoes several stages of hypothesis and theory to become what it is. The most important aspect to this is establishing the truths through the validation of such knowledge or even history. Validation of ancient history is very rigorous and sometimes, very impossible which is why archaeology is very important. Being impervious to hypothesis without any established basis is a very unwholesome attitude and any researcher should know that. I will hereby watch this thread as a spectator rather than contribute. Thanks to all.

Tony,

I like your response here. The matter is simple, I have said numerous times there are many yet undiscovered aspects to Yoruba and we need Yorubologists specialized in the many inlets and outlets of the race.

In Yoruba there is :

Alchemy
History
Anthropology
Geography
Mathematics
Physics
Language
Art
Spirituality
Esoteric

Its unfortunate that the forum that serves as our platform for the discussions here does not have its forum subdivided in line with the subject areas and hence we collide. If we have a partitioned platform, Im sure my discussions on the esoteric use of sounds and letters will not be in collision with a linguist's or a historian's or geographer's or even the alchemist's.

Each one of us have valid submissions based on our understanding that is worth pursuing for fact finding and record keeping, there is no doubt in my mind.

Western culture is partitioned into its sub areas so that specialists will not be at each other's throat. Western politics and their history goes hand in hand but yet their curriculum are different study areas. We need something like that for Yoruba.
Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by ow11(m): 5:53pm On Nov 25, 2013
Katsumoto:

I already provided that the female Oduduwa being referred to in Ketu must be Oduduwa's grand-daughter who sired the first Alaketu or married the first Alaketu. Everything else you stated is in line with my posts. For me, it matters where Oduduwa is from because it establishes, for me, the period of his reign. It is precisely why I don't believe the Middle Eastern origins of Oduduwa as held by some Yoruba historians and Dierk Lange. According to the arabian tales held by Muslims in Northern Nigeria and Mali, Oduduwa is said to be the son of Sargon, but Sargon II ruled about 600 BC. Did Oduduwa live for 1800 years? That story has many holes.

For me, the Bini story is most plausible. For the Bini story to be untrue, Oduduwa himself would have had to have been a fraud. That is, he would have had to have pretended to be the lost Bini prince, when in fact, he wasn't.

And Ife is not the beginning of Yoruba. Your holding on to Ife being the beginning of Yoruba is biased because you are from Ife. Ife birthed many other Yoruba kingdoms through Oduduwa's offspring. Yoruba spirituality birthed in Ife. The history of the Niger-Congo language family puts the Yoruba separating from the Igbo, Edo, Ijo about 3000 years ago. This predates Oduduwa.

Can you expand the boldened statement? If possible give a possible migratory route of the Yoruba incl. proposed origins (Rift Valley or Fertility Crescent)
Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by MetaPhysical: 5:54pm On Nov 25, 2013
Katsumoto,

What was the name of the land Oduduwa met when he arrived in what today we call Ile Ife?

What language did the people speak that he met on ground?

What were their belief and faith system?
Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by MetaPhysical: 5:58pm On Nov 25, 2013
Katsumoto:

The only person who theorized the idea of Oduduwa being Sargon's son was Lange. No Arabian record exist of Oduduwa being the son of Sargon. No Northern or Mali record exist for this. However, there Assyrian records that mention Duwduw or Audud.
Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by ladionline: 6:40pm On Nov 25, 2013
shymexx:

I don't know if you included me in this "box", however, I don't deal dwell too much on science/epistles/theories/hypothesis/fantasies hence why all my rebuttals on that thread were short and precise. I only post a few historical facts, based on timeline, just to connect a few dots to see if the far East claims might be plausible. Not really a big fan of genetics, btw.

Anyway, I just want to ask you a few questions since it seems you're very knowledgeable when it comes to Yoruba etymology. Can you tell me why some places on Lagos Island have "Idu" as the prefix to their names? IDU-mota, IDU-magbo, IDU-ganran et al? I saw this on an online publication - however certain sources said, "Idu" also means "Edo." While alternative sources said, "Idu" is an Ijebu word - hence why those places with "idu" prefix are Ijebu settlements on Lagos Island.

Thanks in advance.
Hello shimexx, i'm happy to have earn your trust. We all are peers and we have a lot to learn from ourselves.
Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by macof(m): 6:52pm On Nov 25, 2013
Katsumoto:

Mr man I am not Ife, I am Ekiti and my people trace their origin to Ile-Ife.

Ife is the beginning of wat we know as Yoruba today.

Yoruba, Edo, Ijo, Igbo are not are were probably never one because only Yoruba people recognize the Ife origin.

Igbo's aren't sure where their first home was

And ijo claim to be the origin of Igodomigodo

So I see nothing more than neighborhood relationship between Ife, Igodomigodo(former Edo) and ijo. I have never been interested in Igbo history but I don't see any direct connecting with Ife
Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by Katsumoto: 7:23pm On Nov 25, 2013
macof:

Mr man I am not Ife, I am Ekiti and my people trace their origin to Ile-Ife.

Ife is the beginning of wat we know as Yoruba today.

Yoruba, Edo, Ijo, Igbo are not are were probably never one because only Yoruba people recognize the Ife origin.

Igbo's aren't sure where their first home was

And ijo claim to be the origin of Igodomigodo

So I see nothing more than neighborhood relationship between Ife, Igodomigodo(former Edo) and ijo. I have never been interested in Igbo history but I don't see any direct connecting with Ife

Don't introduce notions into my posts in a bid to weaken it. I didn't state that Igbo, Ijo, or Edo were from Ife. I stated that linguists believe the Yoruba sparated from the Igbo, Ijo, Edo approximately 3,000 years ago. You can hold on to your Yoruba supremacist views; that's your prerogative but in the face of known migratory patterns, it is false. Every language has an origin and it doesn't exist in isolation. All languages belong to a language tree and these language trees provide clues about migratory patterns of all groups.

Migration from Ife doesn't mean there weren't other Yoruba groups who never set foot in Ife. Perhaps you guys want to start arguing that the Ijebu are not Yoruba.Ife is the beginning of Yoruba civilization, spirituality, societal structures and kingdom building but Ife is not the beginning of Yoruba. You can take that to the bank.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by Katsumoto: 7:27pm On Nov 25, 2013
MetaPhysical: Katsumoto,

What was the name of the land Oduduwa met when he arrived in what today we call Ile Ife?

What language did the people speak that he met on ground?

What were their belief and faith system?

MetaPhysical:

The only person who theorized the idea of Oduduwa being Sargon's son was Lange. No Arabian record exist of Oduduwa being the son of Sargon. No Northern or Mali record exist for this. However, there Assyrian records that mention Duwduw or Audud.

Stop asking me questions. I have no intention of playing your game.

You either provide your hypothesis and supporting proof or ignore my posts.

I have asked you repeatedly - WHERE ARE THE YORUBA FROM?

So far, you have argued that the Yoruba share something with Middle Eastern Islam. What is the connection? You have talked about similarities but nothing concrete.

Lange attempted to intellectualize the thoughts of Islamic scholars who believed the Yoruba, Hausa, etc all migrated from the middle east.
Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by TerraCotta(m): 7:27pm On Nov 25, 2013
Katsumoto:

1. The female Oduduwa is mythical. Similar to the Oduduwa that climbed down a chain. Most historians agree Oduduwa was male. Whilst you may not agree that Oduduwa was Ekaladerhan, there is sufficient evidence from both Ife and Bini sources to conclude that there was a man called Oduduwa.

I want to make it clear that I'm not against your views and I think they are in line with many mainstream historians through the precolonial and colonial era. The points I am raising about detaching material events and history from mythology have been widely available since the 1970s, but sadly have not been widely taught or discussed outside academia. I think the older, colonial-era concept of a single dispersal point by a single family (this Oduduwa dynasty) is less likely to be accepted as facts in any recent academic publication.

Bini has no reason to lie about a Chief Oliha traveling to Ife to request for Oduduwa to assume the throne of his fathers. It is another argument whether the man they met at Ife was in fact Ekaladerhan. Both Bini and Ife agree that there was a man called Oduduwa.

I don't think Bini (or Ife or anyone else) are just 'lying' about their myths. People who believe in the Torah, Bible and Qu'ran agree on many beliefs and events that aren't supported by historical data as well but I wouldn't characterize that as lying, in my view. To extend the example a little further, Jewish and Christian beliefs agree on the existence of Jonah--is there any evidence of his existence and his journey in the belly of a whale? Ancient Greece and Ancient Rome both believed in Herakles/Hercules--can we safely assume he was real? The appearance of a common figure or a name in the myths of related people can't be used as proof of historic existence.

Ife doesn't exactly date Oduduwa's reign but Bini dates it at 12th/13th century based on the time of Oranmiyan in Bini and the birth of Oba Eweka.

Ife's dating of Oduduwa's reign can be "determined" in the same way that Benin derives it, if you believe in that method--from a kinglist compiled by the arokin/royal bards. According to them, there have been 49 Ooni since Oduduwa. Ketu, Ilesa, Oyo etc have equally detailed kinglists but these are known to contain alterations and omissions. There are detailed critiques of these kinglists and the veracity of oral traditions by Robin Law (for Oyo), Obayemi and others (in the case of Ife), Usansele (in the case of Benin) and others give impartial readers good reason to be skeptical about the accuracy of oral history.

2. It may be difficult to date pre-christ Yoruba migrations/life/etc but it's not that difficult with Yoruba 1000 years ago. We can't place Adam & Eve in the same category as Sango/Ajaka. As in one above, Ajaka and Sango were sired by Oranyan. It is universally accepted that Sango's mother is Tapa and he lived with his mother's people until he was called by the Oyo mesi to rescue Ajaka from the Owu. Ife and Bini historians agree that Oranyan was the father of Eweka, Ajaka, and Sango.

Ife and Bini "historians" (which ones?) have little to say about the existence of Ajaka and Sango, to my knowledge. I don't know of any reference to them in oral records, unless the performer has read or had secondhand knowledge from Reverend Johnson's work. In fact, Sango had no place in Ife culture either as a "real" king or as a mythic figure, because Ife had a different thunder deity (Aramfe).

Eweka is not referenced in Ife tradition either; he is a Bini figure. The current Ife tradition only specifies that an Oranmiyan impregnated a local Bini woman and his son was enthroned after his departure.

There is a reason why Ife and Bini argue about who is who's father. Ife states that it sired Bini because Oranyan's son became King and Bini states that it sired Ife because Ekaladerhan/Oduduwa was king at Ife.

I am aware of the genealogy but I don't see how any of it proves that these characters ever existed. If we detach ourselves from the political motivations here, I think we would be very skeptical about the idea of a man wandering through forests to be crowned king in an unknown area, or an unknown area applying somewhere for a foreign king. Oduduwa, whose name ties in very well with other notable figures in Ife (and broader Yoruba) myths, is both man and woman, creator deity and conqueror, foreigner and first man, and father to seven or sometimes sixteen children, all of whom went on to lead other polities in the region. To me, this type of wide-ranging career and conflicting backgrounds suggests a culture-hero or mythological figure more than the exploits of one living person.

3. Very important - Oduduwa is not the progenitor of the Yoruba and that is why Ijebu reference does not go to him. Oduduwa being present at the creation of the world is Ife mythology. It is not Yoruba mythology. The battles between Oduduwa and Obatala has both real and mythological versions. Mythology - 1) Oduduwa was female and Obatala's wife 2) Oduduwa climbed down a chain and completed the job Olodunmare asked Obatala to do (create the world), hence the feud between them. Reality - Oduduwa met Obatala at Ife and fought him.

How did you decide that the story about Oduduwa meeting Obatala at Ife and fighting him is "reality"? That's my only question. We agree that the other stories are myths but this one has to be "real" because ...?

There are various versions of this battle. 1) The people revolted and made Oduduwa king (Bini version) 2) Oduduwa invaded with a party (Ife), hence the celebration of this battle at Ife. Oduduwa's children established many kingdoms, hence why his version of creation is told in most places. Ifa was present at Ife through Orunmila and it is said that Ifa foretold of Oduduwa's emergence. Obayemi's works is proof of Yoruba pre-dating Oduduwa.

As I've said earlier, I don't know of an earlier reference to any Bini origin for Oduduwa than the Nigeria magazine issue from 1971 I mentioned earlier. While we have decades of writing by Bini historians before then and the multiple editions of Egharevba's "Short History of Benin", none of them refer to an Ekaladerhan who became Oduduwa. You will find that most mainstream historians of Benin do not agree with a direct transmission of kingship from Ife to Benin, and certainly pay virtually no attention to the idea that Benin transmitted its monarchy to Ife. The fact that there is an undeniable relationship between both places/cultures, as with less-discussed neighbors in the surrounding Niger-Benue like confluence area like Igala and Nupe, does not prove some sort of royal link.

Yoruba history is similar to British history. The creation of the start of the British nation is credited to Saxons. They came with their language and the first English kings were Saxons. But there were Britons on the island before the Saxon invasion.

4. We should not class everything as myth simply because there is some embellishment. We must try to identify what is real and ignore the legends.

I totally agree. Our point of contention seems to be where the dividing line between myth and history are drawn. I think you're right in classifying certain unlikely beliefs--like the idea that the world was created at Ife--as myth, but I don't see what reason we have to randomly select some other portion of the traditional stories as historically accurate.

To doubt Oduduwa is to doubt Oranmiyan, Eweka, Sango and all the kings who came after them. I am not really trying to convince you but only that you need to come up with something stronger than the notion that since there is some myth, then everything must be mythology.

You misunderstand me here. We know everything isn't mythology. We know Ife manufactured products that were necessary for political recognition. We know it was a major center of world-class art. We don't know if there were ever any living people called Oduduwa, Oranmiyan, Ekaladerhan etc.

There is mythology about Sango but should we doubt his existence as well? There is mythology about Odysseus but his existence is confirmed in Greek, Turkish, and Italian history. And while there is some controversy about his father, it is generally accepted that Laertes was his father.

My question wasn't literally about the name of Odysseus's father, but a reference to the likelihood of him existing. I don't want to divert the conversation outside of Yoruba history, but Odysseus is a perfect example of a comparable figure from elsewhere. There is no proof of Odysseus's existence and the vast majority of classical European historians don't believe he was a real person. Even the exaggerated claims made by Greek archaeologists in the last few years who said they found his palace or his grave are not widely accepted by their peers. Homer's epic poem tells a fantastic story about a man and his crew on a heroic journey meeting gods and goddesses, sirens and snake-headed Medusa etc. so it cannot be taken seriously as history, but it's an absolutely foundational part of Greek culture. It was even crucial to the beginnings of modern archaeology, since it provided clues to the existence of Troy, which had been dismissed as a legend for thousands of years. In the same vein, oral traditions in West Africa are indispensable to guiding us on where to look further for clues about the past and how to understand the material remains we find, but taking them as a word-for-word account of past events would probably not be accurate.

Here's another good description of the direction historians of Yoruba culture/politics/economics have headed since the 1970s:

There has recently been something of a revolution in our understanding of the formation of centralised states in this area. Most earlier accounts, from Crowther and Johnson onwards, started with the arrival of Oduduwa at Ife, either from heaven or from the Middle East (Johnson,1921: 5-7), and the subsequent migration of his descendants to found their own kingdoms elsewhere.

At first the archaeological evidence tended to support this type of approach. The spectacular finds at Ife (Willett, 1967) suggested a wealthy, sophisticated culture with kingship institutions already established. Radiocarbon dates put the 'classical' period of Ife, art at about A.D. 1000-1400. This neatly tallied with reconstructions of chronology based on the surviving kinglists of states like Oyo, Ketu, Benin and Ijebu. Their foundations were generally placed between the 13th and 15th centuries - perhaps about 1300 (Smith, 1969: 34), and the tradition that their founders came from Ife, was accepted at face value by many authors.

[b] Recent accounts are more sceptical about the validity of the oral traditions, and there is also a larger body of linguistic and archaeological evidence available. Interest has shifted away from the origins and careers of the sons of Oduduwa to more general questions of the evolution of social and political organisation among the Yoruba and their neighbours (Obayemi,1976). The Ife creation myths, though undoubtedly the most widely diffused, are not unique: Obayemi reports similar traditions from Igbomina (1976: 232). As Law has shown (1973b), all the versions we have of the myths of origin have been collected since the mid-19th century, and have clearly been distorted in the light of later political events. The best-known example is Johnson's History in which they are used to justify Oyo's claim to primacy among the Yoruba kingdoms, and the Alafn's claim to a measure of authority over other rulers.
Law is also sceptical about the dates proposed for the foundation of Oyo (1977: 33-4). The early part of the Oyo kinglist, he suggests, is a fabrication. The earliest rulers listed were probably mythical rather than historical, while some names of later rulers have been omitted (1977: 49). There are difficulties in relying on average lengths of reigns to reconstruct the chronology. After 1730, Oyo switched from a system of primogeniture and reigns up to 1836 were generally short (1977: 56-cool. Presumably these difficulties with the kinglist are not peculiar to Oyo.[/b]

Taken together, the linguistic and archaeological evidence suggests firstly that main processes of settlement and cultural differentiation had taken place before the period to which the myths of origin of the present ruling dynasties appear to refer (Obayemi, 1976: 200-1). Secondly, we need no longer assume that political centralisation is a prerequisite for a flourishing tradition of artistic production. Such a tradition exists in northeastern Yorubaland, where political centralisation never took place. Indeed, Obayemi suggests that the 'classical' period of Ife, art was the product of a less centralised political system, pre-dating the establishment of the present dynasty (1976: 211).

Obayemi's conclusion is that the Oduduwa myths in Ife reflect a process of political centralisation which took place at an unknown date, but which was not a prerequisite for the development of Ife art. A parallel process took place in some other, though not all, Yoruba areas, as well as among the Edo, Nupe and other neighbouring ethnic groups. It is unlikely that there was a single centre from which kings were sent to rule other states, though this raises the question of why these other states should have later acknowledged Ife, primacy in the way that they did. One possible suggestion is that Ife was probably the source of the glass beads from which the crowns of the Yoruba oba were made (Obayemi,1976: 204-5).

From J.S. Eades, "The Yoruba Today" (Cambridge University Press, 1980). The full book is available for free online here: http://lucy.ukc.ac.uk/yorubat/
Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by macof(m): 8:09pm On Nov 25, 2013
Katsumoto:

Don't introduce notions into my posts in a bid to weaken it. I didn't state that Igbo, Ijo, or Edo were from Ife. I stated that linguists believe the Yoruba sparated from the Igbo, Ijo, Edo approximately 3,000 years ago. You can hold on to your Yoruba supremacist views; that's your prerogative but in the face of known migratory patterns, it is false. Every language has an origin and it doesn't exist in isolation. All languages belong to a language tree and these language trees provide clues about migratory patterns of all groups.

Migration from Ife doesn't mean there weren't other Yoruba groups who never set foot in Ife. Perhaps you guys want to start arguing that the Ijebu are not Yoruba.Ife is the beginning of Yoruba civilization, spirituality, societal structures and kingdom building but Ife is not the beginning of Yoruba. You can take that to the bank.

I only posted wat I understood from ur previous post. You try to link ijo, Edo and Ife even when the people have no stories binding before the existence of Oduduwa

the ijo claim Oduduwa's son lived among them and led them at a time.

The ilaje people are mixed wit Yoruba and ijo

Language similarities doesn't proof they were ones one people.

You seem to forget that ijebuland is mixed wit different people, some that migrated from waddai, some that migrated from Ife and others that aren't accounted for.

Even the final migration into Ijebuland from waddai rested in Ife and were exposed to Ife culture
Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by macof(m): 8:13pm On Nov 25, 2013
Katsumoto:

Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by Katsumoto: 9:17pm On Nov 25, 2013
macof:

I only posted wat I understood from ur previous post. You try to link ijo, Edo and Ife even when the people have no stories binding before the existence of Oduduwa

the ijo claim Oduduwa's son lived among them and led them at a time.

The ilaje people are mixed wit Yoruba and ijo

Language similarities doesn't proof they were ones one people.

You seem to forget that ijebuland is mixed wit different people, some that migrated from waddai, some that migrated from Ife and others that aren't accounted for.

Even the final migration into Ijebuland from waddai rested in Ife and were exposed to Ife culture

[b]'A language family is a group of languages related by descent from a common ancestor, called the proto-language of that family. [/b]The term comes from the Tree model of language origination in historical linguistics, which makes use of a metaphor comparing languages to people in a biological family tree or in a subsequent modification to species in a phylogenetic tree of evolutionary taxonomy. All the apparently biological terms are used only in the metaphoric sense. No real biology is included in any way in the metaphor. ...... Membership of languages in the same language family is established by comparative linguistics. Daughter languages are said to have a genetic or genealogical relationship; the former term is more current in modern times, but the latter is equally as traditional.'

http://www.princeton.edu/~achaney/tmve/wiki100k/docs/Language_family.html

There is a reason why most sub-saharan languages belong to the Niger-Congo language family. There is a reason why no Sub-saharan language is a part of the Indo-European language family. It is not coincidence. You need to re-appraise this Yoruba supremacist view of life starting at Ife and apes suddenly speaking Yoruba. In this day and age, it is very narrow. Similarities in sub-saharan languages is as a result of sub-saharan people all migrating Southwards from the Sudan-Nile corridor.

Yoruba, Edo, Ijo, Igbo all have the same ancestors.

Which Ijo people claim that Oduduwa's son lived among them? The most recent wave of migration has people migrating from Ife to other parts of the SW. During this final wave of migration, the people spoke the same language albeit different dialects. They spoke Yoruba; we aren't aware of any Niger-Congo language becoming extinct with Yoruba migration to the coast.

Which final migration from Waddai to Ijebu are you referring to?
Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by macof(m): 11:07pm On Nov 25, 2013
Katsumoto:

[b]'A language family is a group of languages related by descent from a common ancestor, called the proto-language of that family. [/b]The term comes from the Tree model of language origination in historical linguistics, which makes use of a metaphor comparing languages to people in a biological family tree or in a subsequent modification to species in a phylogenetic tree of evolutionary taxonomy. All the apparently biological terms are used only in the metaphoric sense. No real biology is included in any way in the metaphor. ...... Membership of languages in the same language family is established by comparative linguistics. Daughter languages are said to have a genetic or genealogical relationship; the former term is more current in modern times, but the latter is equally as traditional.'

There is a reason why most sub-saharan languages belong to the Niger-Congo language family. There is a reason why no Sub-saharan language is a part of the Indo-European language family. It is not coincidence. You need to re-appraise this Yoruba supremacist view of life starting at Ife and apes suddenly speaking Yoruba. In this day and age, it is very narrow. Similarities in sub-saharan languages is as a result of sub-saharan people all migrating Southwards from the Sudan-Nile corridor.

Which Ijo people claim that Oduduwa's son lived among them? The most recent wave of migration has people migrating from Ife to other parts of the SW. During this final wave of migration, the people spoke the same language albeit different dialects. They spoke Yoruba; we aren't aware of any Niger-Congo language becoming extinct with Yoruba migration to the coast.

I see no relationship with Igbo and Yoruba languages ur linguistic historians are flawed because I have personally observed the languages and words similarities doesn't put languages in the same lingual tree.

We have no binding history and don't have same ancestors. Igbos history doesn't link with Ife and they don't have a definite start, Yorubas do and that's Ile Ife.

I never claimed Ife to be the origin of humanity, I speak for myself and Ife is my origin and the origin of Yoruba

ijo claim to have welcomed Adimula from Ife and he had a family there whose descendants left to found Ilaje

The final migration to ijebuland was led by ogboroganda aka Obanta, he got to ijebuland and met people there, his people only mixed with them.
Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by MetaPhysical: 11:09pm On Nov 25, 2013
Katsumoto:

Stop asking me questions. I have no intention of playing your game.

You either provide your hypothesis and supporting proof or ignore my posts.

I have asked you repeatedly - WHERE ARE THE YORUBA FROM?

So far, you have argued that the Yoruba share something with Middle Eastern Islam. What is the connection? You have talked about similarities but nothing concrete.

Lange attempted to intellectualize the thoughts of Islamic scholars who believed the Yoruba, Hausa, etc all migrated from the middle east.

Calm down my brother, please calm down.

I dont know where Yoruba is from but I know where they are not from. They are not from the land they currently occupy. Im on a quest to find their origin. So far, I have gone into many books, English books, Yoruba books, Arabic books, Hausa books, Jewish books, Egyptian books..

Yoruba books are more confusing than the rest and I will tell you why.

Yorubas, unlike foreigners writing and theorizing the history, have to also live the history. Everything so far written by respectable Yoruba scholars on the history is done so from the perspective of Western ideology, not Yoruba philosophy. In order words, there is a gap between the thoughts and the spirit..we are thinking in foreign language and expressing in foreign language but our nature, emotion, spirit and impulses are Yoruba, not English.

Do me a favour Katsumoto, go and read books on Yoruba written in French and compare with that written in English and you come up with different angle of understanding. Read the one written in Portuguese and compare with that written in English or French and you gain a different angle. Why all these inconsistencies about one history and one people?

Of all the foreign people to come into the hinterlands of Yoruba, Katunga and Ile Ife and Oyo, Arabs were the pioneers. Ibn Khaldun and Batutta as well Baba Ahmed had chronicled their contact with Quorra and Katunga long before Livingstone and the Landers or Mungo Park. The Portuegese came after the Arabs and before the English but they did not go into the interior, they stayed on the coastal waters and this is all they knew of Yoruba.

The Arabs came over the desert and did not go to the coast.

So the Arabs had no knowledge of an existing Yorubaland past Oyo territory and this is why in teir chronicles Oyo is Yoruba, and no where else. They had no knowledge of such.

The Portuguese wrote many things about the coastal people and the riverines but left much untold about Katunga and its glory because they did not know the coastal people had a kingdom farther inland and if they knew it wasnt connected with their trade which prinarily was water dependent.

The first foreigners to make contact with all peoples of Yorubaland were the colonists and was possible only after the Kiriji war. They had made some tractable gains in Lagos, Badagry, Abeokuta and so on and established resettlements and missionary.

By the time the colonists entered into Yoruba proper they discovered that the Muhammedan faith was widespread and even the kings and court were practicing the Sudan traditions.

Their mission was to turn the orientation away from Sudan and into Christianity.

Abeokuta was the seat of Yoruba Chriatianity and missionary work and Crowther was from there and living there..it would be imperative that the Egba dialect should have been adopted as the language and standard of Yoruba Bible and alphabets. Why did they use Oyo as standard?

The land was conquered but the soul of the people has not been conquered. You conquer the people when you steer their culture away from its base beliefs and in the case of Yoruba it had to be done politically because the nation itself is structured politically. The political seat of power is Oyo..and this factored into why they used the Oyo dialect as standard.

They did the same thing in Hausaland. Hausas are structured politically but less sophisticated than Yorubas..so they use the Emirs for indirect rule and taxation and introduced jangali.

Oyo dialect did not have full orthography in English language sounds and meanings and made writing and interpretation impractical. How did they resolve that?

The transliteration was done creating sound match in various European languages where a match exist..even though the meaning was different and not a match and this is how they created a alphabet list for us.

In addition to the fact that our alphabet list is latinized using sounds from different language standards, our alphabet list is missing letters also. This is a great handicap to studying Yoruba and understanding its true history.

This is why I adopt Yoruba sound for my activism here rather than relying on meaning.

..but this alphabet is all we have and so we should make the best of it.

Now, am I completely convinced Yoruba is from AfroAsia? No!

Am I convinced completely that Yoruba is NOT from its current abode in Nigeria? You bet I am!

So where is Yoruba from?

I steer away from Western biases and the Arab biases and go into Yoruba arts, worship, culture, kingship, priesthood, songs, sounds, heirlooms, artifacts, orikis, myths, gods...these are unbiased and truthful spirit of Yoruba itself and thats who I have adopted as my teacher. I want Yoruba to teach me where it is from..and it has done a great job of doing that so far. There are still some loose knots to tie and questions. If I can get an answer to those questions, trust me I will be selling the AfroAsia belief wholeheartedly.

1 Like

Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by macof(m): 11:23pm On Nov 25, 2013
Katsumoto:

I see no relationship with Igbo and Yoruba languages ur linguistic historians are flawed because I have personally observed the languages and words similarities doesn't put languages in the same lingual tree.

We have no binding history and don't have same ancestors. Igbos history doesn't link with Ife and they don't have a definite start, Yorubas do and that's Ile Ife.

I never claimed Ife to be the origin of humanity, I speak for myself and Ife is my origin and the origin of Yoruba

ijo claim to have welcomed Adimula from Ife and he had a family there whose descendants left to found Ilaje

The final migration to ijebuland was led by ogboroganda aka Obanta, he got to ijebuland and met people there, his people only mixed with them.
Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by Katsumoto: 12:07am On Nov 26, 2013
MetaPhysical:

Calm down my brother, please calm down.

I dont know where Yoruba is from but I know where they are not from. They are not from the land they currently occupy. Im on a quest to find their origin. So far, I have gone into many books, English books, Yoruba books, Arabic books, Hausa books, Jewish books, Egyptian books..

Yoruba books are more confusing than the rest and I will tell you why.

Yorubas, unlike foreigners writing and theorizing the history, have to also live the history. Everything so far written by respectable Yoruba scholars on the history is done so from the perspective of Western ideology, not Yoruba philosophy. In order words, there is a gap between the thoughts and the spirit..we are thinking in foreign language and expressing in foreign language but our nature, emotion, spirit and impulses are Yoruba, not English.

Do me a favour Katsumoto, go and read books on Yoruba written in French and compare with that written in English and you come up with different angle of understanding. Read the one written in Portuguese and compare with that written in English or French and you gain a different angle. Why all these inconsistencies about one history and one people?

Of all the foreign people to come into the hinterlands of Yoruba, Katunga and Ile Ife and Oyo, Arabs were the pioneers. Ibn Khaldun and Batutta as well Baba Ahmed had chronicled their contact with Quorra and Katunga long before Livingstone and the Landers or Mungo Park. The Portuegese came after the Arabs and before the English but they did not go into the interior, they stayed on the coastal waters and this is all they knew of Yoruba.

The Arabs came over the desert and did not go to the coast.

So the Arabs had no knowledge of an existing Yorubaland past Oyo territory and this is why in teir chronicles Oyo is Yoruba, and no where else. They had no knowledge of such.

The Portuguese wrote many things about the coastal people and the riverines but left much untold about Katunga and its glory because they did not know the coastal people had a kingdom farther inland and if they knew it wasnt connected with their trade which prinarily was water dependent.

The first foreigners to make contact with all peoples of Yorubaland were the colonists and was possible only after the Kiriji war. They had made some tractable gains in Lagos, Badagry, Abeokuta and so on and established resettlements and missionary.

By the time the colonists entered into Yoruba proper they discovered that the Muhammedan faith was widespread and even the kings and court were practicing the Sudan traditions.

Their mission was to turn the orientation away from Sudan and into Christianity.

Abeokuta was the seat of Yoruba Chriatianity and missionary work and Crowther was from there and living there..it would be imperative that the Egba dialect should have been adopted as the language and standard of Yoruba Bible and alphabets. Why did they use Oyo as standard?

The land was conquered but the soul of the people has not been conquered. You conquer the people when you steer their culture away from its base beliefs and in the case of Yoruba it had to be done politically because the nation itself is structured politically. The political seat of power is Oyo..and this factored into why they used the Oyo dialect as standard.

They did the same thing in Hausaland. Hausas are structured politically but less sophisticated than Yorubas..so they use the Emirs for indirect rule and taxation and introduced jangali.

Oyo dialect did not have full orthography in English language sounds and meanings and made writing and interpretation impractical. How did they resolve that?

The transliteration was done creating sound match in various European languages where a match exist..even though the meaning was different and not a match and this is how they created a alphabet list for us.

In addition to the fact that our alphabet list is latinized using sounds from different language standards, our alphabet list is missing letters also. This is a great handicap to studying Yoruba and understanding its true history.

This is why I adopt Yoruba sound for my activism here rather than relying on meaning.

..but this alphabet is all we have and so we should make the best of it.

Now, am I completely convinced Yoruba is from AfroAsia? No!

Am I convinced completely that Yoruba is NOT from its current abode in Nigeria? You bet I am!

So where is Yoruba from?

I steer away from Western biases and the Arab biases and go into Yoruba arts, worship, culture, kingship, priesthood, songs, sounds, heirlooms, artifacts, orikis, myths, gods...these are unbiased and truthful spirit of Yoruba itself and thats who I have adopted as my teacher. I want Yoruba to teach me where it is from..and it has done a great job of doing that so far. There are still some loose knots to tie and questions. If I can get an answer to those questions, trust me I will be selling the AfroAsia belief wholeheartedly.

Brother,

I apologize for the tone of my post. It appears I mis-understood your complete intentions.

We are in agreement that the Yoruba migrated to the current areas. The next area of my study will be the migration of people into Yorubaland. I am keen to explore Tony Spike's hypothesis about Yoruba/Kemet connections.

I am yet to come in touch with text written about the Yoruba in French but I have read Portuguese and Spanish text. Most of these relate to Yoruba philosophy and spirituality.

I agree about Yoruba not being conquered by any culture or religion. I have often argued that Yoruba spirituality and philosophy is so fluid and powerful that it assimilates other cultures and religions. Hence why a Yoruba can be Muslim and traditionalist or a Christian and traditionalist at the same time. And why a Yoruba family can have Muslims, Christians, and pagans.

Crowther was originally from Iseyin. He wasn't Egba.
Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by MetaPhysical: 12:11am On Nov 26, 2013
macof:

Language historians can say whatever they want and release all kind of statistical reference on it all they want, thats their profession and they would be wise to protect its standard and authority, afterall medical doctors do the same thing day in and day out..they tell women b.r.e.a.s.t feeding is bad for them and their children and educated women all over follow their advise and put plastic bottles in their children mouth, then 10yrs later same profession come out and say b,r.e.ast feeding is the best for babies..educated women abamdon plastic bottles and go back to putting n.i.p.ple in babies mouth.

Makes me wonder if educated women are truly educated!
Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by Katsumoto: 12:20am On Nov 26, 2013
macof:

Languages are compared with one another using a process called comparative linguistics so as to establish historical relatedness. It's not for you to state that you have studied Igbo and Yoruba and concluded that there is no relationship. What process did you use for this analysis?

As for your comments about Igbo and Yoruba not being connected in any way, I will leave you to that position. God created Yoruba in isolation; Yoruba is not related to any other groups.
Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by MetaPhysical: 1:28am On Nov 26, 2013
Katsumoto:

Brother,

I apologize for the tone of my post. It appears I mis-understood your complete intentions.

We are in agreement that the Yoruba migrated to the current areas. The next area of my study will be the migration of people into Yorubaland. I am keen to explore Tony Spike's hypothesis about Yoruba/Kemet connections.

I am yet to come in touch with text written about the Yoruba in French but I have read Portuguese and Spanish text. Most of these relate to Yoruba philosophy and spirituality.

I agree about Yoruba not being conquered by any culture or religion. I have often argued that Yoruba spirituality and philosophy is so fluid and powerful that it assimilates other cultures and religions. Hence why a Yoruba can be Muslim and traditionalist or a Christian and traditionalist at the same time. And why a Yoruba family can have Muslims, Christians, and pagans.

Crowther was originally from Iseyin. He wasn't Egba.

Yes, please, Tony Spike's theory of a interconnect between Yoruba and Kemet is a lead worth investigating.

Regardless of what we are looking for in a people we are bound to find its copy practiced by another people elsewhere.

Yoruba has a place called Oregun. Lets get all places on the earth named similarly; we get Oregano, Oregon, Origene, and so on.. These are places named as marker for origin or source.

There is a universality in the nomenclature but we dont know if the sense of application is the same for all of them. People of Oregun are distant in geography from people in Oregon, Oregano or anywhere else named after origin and so we should not expect anything common between them. If we find similarity in the arts, the customs, the words, sacrifice and rituals between Oregun and Oregon, then those exact similarities should equally occur in Oregano and Origine. If not, it would mean something unique exist and is shared between Oregun and Oregon and the deeper we inspect these commonalities the more revelations are discovered exclusive to these two that are not duplicated anywhere else. We should not now latch onto the name marker alone and say linguists and scholars have looked at them and concluded its nothing more than a naming protocol that tie Oregun to Oregon.
Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by Nobody: 2:40am On Nov 26, 2013
One of the most educative threads ever on nl.

Nice!! cool
Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by ladionline: 11:55am On Nov 26, 2013
macof:

example of places where you speak with authority what you don't know.
the unknown past is not completely known to you.
Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by ladionline: 11:58am On Nov 26, 2013
MetaPhysical:

Yes, please, Tony Spike's theory of a interconnect between Yoruba and Kemet is a lead worth investigating.

Regardless of what we are looking for in a people we are bound to find its copy practiced by another people elsewhere.

Yoruba has a place called Oregun. Lets get all places on the earth named similarly; we get Oregano, Oregon, Origene, and so on.. These are places named as marker for origin or source.

There is a universality in the nomenclature but we dont know if the sense of application is the same for all of them. People of Oregun are distant in geography from people in Oregon, Oregano or anywhere else named after origin and so we should not expect anything common between them. If we find similarity in the arts, the customs, the words, sacrifice and rituals between Oregun and Oregon, then those exact similarities should equally occur in Oregano and Origine. If not, it would mean something unique exist and is shared between Oregun and Oregon and the deeper we inspect these commonalities the more revelations are discovered exclusive to these two that are not duplicated anywhere else. We should not now latch onto the name marker alone and say linguists and scholars have looked at them and concluded its nothing more than a naming protocol that tie Oregun to Oregon.

Given the chance, you will emptied the Afroasia to Yoruba, but Ibos who are natural kin of the black race Yoruba can not be spotted with Yoruba, they do not have a Sango and does not read Qur'an.
Re: A Short History Of Yorubaland With Pictures by 740megawatts: 12:02pm On Nov 26, 2013
ladionline:

Given the chance, you will emptied the Afroasia to Yoruba, but Ibos who are natural kin of the black race Yoruba can not be spotted with Yoruba, they do not have a Sango and does not read Qur'an.

Have you seen any threads on Nairaland where Yoruba-Igbo conjugal historical discussions end well? Including our Eastern brothers in our discussions here is an invitation to derail the objective of this beautiful thread. I hope you understand why it is better to ignore that area for now?

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (24) (Reply)

Post Pics Of Fulani Girls! / Oba Of Benin Visits Ooni Of Ife / 55 Different Yoruba Hairstyles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 256
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.