Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,684 members, 7,816,791 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:15 PM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (185) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1494021 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (182) (183) (184) (185) (186) (187) (188) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by jaz(m): 1:38pm On Aug 17, 2015
waiting!!
Fhemmmy:

Hmmmmm . . .Let us look at 5000 Melange as example because i still put it to most people that, i dont see how someone could make money from this melange business . . .

5000 FIngerlings bought at 10 Naira = 50,000 Naira
Feeding at 150 Naira/ fish * 5000 Fishes - - - Will cost 750,000 Naira
Miscellaneous assuming is 5% of the total cost spent . . . This will now be 5% of 800,000 Naira and will be 40,000 Naira
Total expenditure seems to be 840,000 Naira

Total sales:
Assume we attain a average weight of 350g
This will give us 1750 kg
Sales of Melange i heard is 380 Naira /Kg if one is lucky . . . . . 665K Naira

Please gurus in the house, is there anything i am doing wrong in this calculation, if NOT i am yet to see how people could convince me that they are making money from melange.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fhemmmy: 1:50pm On Aug 17, 2015
jaz:
waiting!!

[b]I once heard someone said 100 Naira should be enough to get 350g melange in 2 and half months and if that is the case..... Robonski once said too that it is best you hatch yourself to make money in the melange business . . . . So let us break that one down too as well.
Feeding of 5000 fishes with 100 Naira each . . . . . . 500,000 Naira
Miscellanous of 5% . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 25,000 Naira

Lets assume no other expense.

Total sales for average weight of 350g (.35Kg)
Best case 380 Naira per kg of the fishes of 1750kg fishes - - - - - - - 665K Naira

Sales - Expenditures = Profit meaning 665K Naira - 525K Naira and that gives us 140K Naira
140 Naira broken down to monthly will be 56, 000 Naira per month

So again, let us await the guru in the house, except this is the method they are working and if this is what they are working with:
1. Is it truly possible for 100 Naira per fish to produce 350g of catfish in 2 and half month or is that just another dream?
2. Is it true that one will be able to sell melange at 380 Naira per kg?
3. Is 350g possible in 2.5 months?

Please gurus, shed more lights on this . . . . wink wink [/b]
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ayosat(m): 2:14pm On Aug 17, 2015
Fhemmmy:

Hmmmmm . . .Let us look at 5000 Melange as example because i still put it to most people that, i dont see how someone could make money from this melange business . . .

Miscellaneous assuming is 5% of the total cost spent . . . This will now be 5% of 800,000 Naira and will be 40,000 Naira

Total sales:

Please gurus in the house, is there anything i am doing wrong in this calculation, if NOT i am yet to see how people could convince me that they are making money from melange.
Sir if melange is not profitable you won't see people doing it.
There are different sizes in melange 300g, 400g , 500g. The smallest of it is what you based your calculations upon. Of cause you don't expect to put #150 on a fish just to get 350g. The #150 you must have projected should take you to 500g. So it is now left for you to determine the grams you want to take it to. Some end up spending as low as #80 each for their cat. Some #100 each some above. But I don't expect people to spend more than #150 for each cat. What you are calculating is of the smallest case of melange and can never cost you #150 each if you know what you are doing.
Let's take the maximum case for instance. 500g *5000 @400 per kg. (500g can even go as high as #430 per kg). That will fetch you #1m at 2months or 2.5 months. And your cost on them will be #750000. That's about #250000 profit.
Mind you dealing with melange needs adequate care. You will need to feed them more than usual, so that they can grow faster.
They will need to be given all necessary drugs and multivitamins. water quality must be at the top agenda. You will need to measure their average weigh every two weeks to keep track of their growth.
Also don't stay idea. Go out , learn from people that are into melange. Learn from their sucess story, on what they are doing that is working for them. Bottom line, Before you plunge into it get yourself really prepare and I bet you, you will have good story to tell too.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ayosat(m): 2:19pm On Aug 17, 2015
Farmers into melange can also contribute. We need more input to this topic smiley
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ayosat(m): 2:48pm On Aug 17, 2015
This is a conversation with someone. Able to get 500g in two months. With hardwork and prayer anyoneelse can do it.

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by GOLDLOVER: 3:01pm On Aug 17, 2015
ayosat:

There are different sizes in melange 300g, 400g , 500g. The smallest of it is what you based your calculations upon. Of cause you don't expect to put #150 on a fish just to get 350g. The #150 you must have projected should take you to 500g. So it is now left for you to determine the grams you want to take it to. Some end up spending as low as #80 each for their cat. Some #100 each some above. But I don't expect people to spend more than #150 for each cat. What you are calculating is of the smallest case of melange and can never cost you #150 each if you know what you are doing.
Let's take the maximum case for instance. 500g *5000 @400 per kg. (500g can even go as high as #430 per kg). That will fetch you #1m at 2months or 2.5 months. And your cost on them will be #750000. That's about #250000 profit.
Mind you dealing with melange needs adequate care. You will need to feed them more than usual, so that they can grow faster.
They will need to be given all necessary drugs and multivitamins. water quality must be at the top agenda. You will need to measure their average weigh every two weeks to keep track of their growth.
Also don't stay idea. Go out , learn from people that are into melange. Learn from their sucess story, on what they are doing that is working for them. Bottom line, Before you plunge into it get yourself really prepare and I bet you, you will have good story to tell too.
Hmmm.... Begining to see it better.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by jaz(m): 3:26pm On Aug 17, 2015
@ ayosat.

your contribution is highly invaluable!
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 3:44pm On Aug 17, 2015
Mascotlawman:
please my brothers and sisters, u people have been doing a great work here by assisting others. God bless us all. I have been begging for this, please robonski15, Juvefarms and other gurus. please I really need assistance from anyone who can send the E-manual to me. My email is Mills8312@gmail.com , I will really appreciate ur help.

I used to refer people that want to know about catfish business to read this thread from beginning to the last page, it covers most of things you need to know about the business of catfish, and it is explicit because you will learn practical experiences of people and the contribution from different gurus which make it very rich

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fhemmmy: 3:52pm On Aug 17, 2015
ayosat:

Nice one, i never said they are not making money, i just want us to share how possible it is to make money . . . . However, i dont see the 250K Naira as profit even from your calculations and here are the reasons why:
1. Where is the cost of buying the fingers and even if you hatch, wont you pay yourself for the hatching?
2. Where is the cost of fuel and other expenses like the drugs that you have mentioned
3. Is it really truly possible to get 500g in that 2.5 months
4. 430 Naira per Kg, is that truly possible?
Again, please we are just trying to learn together oh, i am not saying you not right, sir . . . .What do i know anyways, i am just a novice.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski16: 4:32pm On Aug 17, 2015
Fhemmmy:

Total sales:

My chairman firstly i have said it times without number that buying fingerlings/juvenile to melange is not feasible you hatch yourself, stock and sell the rest to buy feed.. more so spending #150 to get an average weight of 350grms after three months is NULL, their average weight should be half a kg that is 500grms, some farmers don't spend up to #150 in raising their melange.

500grms x 5000= 2500kg

2500kg x #400= 1million profit

#150 to raise one fish plus miscellaneous.... #150 x 5000= 750,000

#100,000,000 - #750,000 =#250k (net profit)

If you read my write up on melange i said 5000 to me is the least you can stock and you have to continue a cycle before harvest. you can be harvesting every month.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ayosat(m): 4:45pm On Aug 17, 2015
Fhemmmy:

Nice one, i never said they are not making money, i just want us to share how possible it is to make money . . . . However, i dont see the 250K Naira as profit even from your calculations and here are the reasons why:
1. Where is the cost of buying the fingers and even if you hatch, wont you pay yourself for the hatching?
2. Where is the cost of fuel and other expenses like the drugs that you have mentioned
3. Is it really truly possible to get 500g in that 2.5 months
4. 430 Naira per Kg, is that truly possible?
Again, please we are just trying to learn together oh, i am not saying you not right, sir . . . .What do i know anyways, i am just a novice.
@professor Fhemmy... wink i said it from start, that if you want to make any meaningful profiit in melange, you have to raise them in large quantity. The higher you go, the more profit you make. I'm not a guru in melange farming but my point here is based on what I have leant and discussed with people that are into it.That is why melange farmers need to come in to clear out some issues here . all the same. On expenses you have to find a way to limit them. For instance I know someone that changes water at 12 midnight just to keep cost at the lowest level( cos thats the time NEPA gives them electricity). And how much is drugs? If your fish are OK you may not even spend #3000 on drugs and multivitamins. On fingerlings you either hatch, buy fries or fingerlings which ever works for you. Some don't have the heart for melange thinking it has no profit in it, but some it is what they know how to do best. That is why I say before you go into it, learn the routine first .you need to find the strategy that will work for you ni.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fhemmmy: 4:47pm On Aug 17, 2015
ayosat:

@professor Fhemmy... wink i said it from start, that if you want to make any meaningful profiit in melange, you have to raise them in large quantity. The higher you go, the more profit you make. I'm not a guru in melange farming but my point here is based on what I have leant and discussed with people that are into it.That is why melange farmers need to come in to clear out some issues here . all the same. On expenses you have to find a way to limit them. For instance I know someone that changes water at 12 midnight just to keep cost at the lowest level( cos thats the time NEPA gives them electricity). And how much is drugs? If your fish are OK you may not even spend #3000 on drugs and multivitamins. On fingerlings you either hatch, buy fries or fingerlings which ever works for you. Some don't have the heart for melange thinking it has no profit in it, but some it is what they know how to do best. That is why I say before you go into it, learn the routine first .you need to find the strategy that will work for you ni.

shocked shocked shocked shocked I beg oh . . . . But you have spoken well and we will wait for people that are so much into it.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fhemmmy: 4:50pm On Aug 17, 2015
robonski16:

My chairman firstly i have said it times without number that buying fingerlings/juvenile to melange is not feasible you hatch yourself, stock and sell the rest to buy feed.. more so spending #150 to get an average weight of 350grms after three months is NULL, their average weight should be half a kg that is 500grms, some farmers don't spend up to #150 in raising their melange.

500grms x 5000= 2500kg

2500kg x #400= 1million profit

#150 to raise one fish plus miscellaneous.... #150 x 5000= 750,000

#100,000,000 - #750,000 =#250k (net profit)

If you read my write up on melange i said 5000 to me is the least you can stock and you have to continue a cycle before harvest. you can be harvesting every month.

The chairman himself have spoken . . . Melange farming here we come . . . .
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ayosat(m): 4:52pm On Aug 17, 2015
jaz:
@ ayosat.

your contribution is highly invaluable!
can you explain why?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ayosat(m): 4:59pm On Aug 17, 2015
Fhemmmy:

The chairman himself have spoken . . . Melange farming here we come . . . .
as a novice you always claim, we won't be surprise to wake up one day and find your book on 'catfish farming' in every bookstore in Lagos .
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by jaz(m): 5:11pm On Aug 17, 2015
i meant highly valuable oo grin grin cheesy
ayosat:
can you explain why?
infact sef i don confuse embarassed
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fhemmmy: 5:16pm On Aug 17, 2015
ayosat:
as a novice you always claim, we won't be surprise to wake up one day and find your book on 'catfish farming' in every bookstore in Lagos .

Amen oh . . . But wait a minute, would you buy such book if you see am?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ayosat(m): 5:30pm On Aug 17, 2015
Fhemmmy:

why not...if it is written by our great Professor Fhemmmy. it will even serve as an evidence of no more " I'm a novice".

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski16: 5:32pm On Aug 17, 2015
Fhemmmy:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin una no go kill person for this thread with laff
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski16: 5:33pm On Aug 17, 2015
ayosat:

GBAM!!!
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski16: 5:36pm On Aug 17, 2015
ayosat:
can you explain why?

in·val·u·a·ble
adjective
extremely useful; indispensable.
"an invaluable source of information"
synonyms: indispensable, crucial, critical, key, vital, necessary, irreplaceable, all-important

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski16: 5:39pm On Aug 17, 2015
Ttalk:

I refer to people that want to know about catfish business to read this thread from beginning to the last stage, it covers most of things you need to know about the business of catfish, and it is understandable because you will learn practical experiences of people and the contribution from different gurus which make it very rich

Bro we are waiting for the continuation of your experience wink
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fhemmmy: 5:44pm On Aug 17, 2015
ayosat:
why not...if it is written by our great Professor Fhemmmy. it will even serve as an evidence of no more " I'm a novice".

I am still a novice joooooo
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fhemmmy: 5:46pm On Aug 17, 2015
robonski16:

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin una no go kill person for this thread with laff

My Chairman at the top, the fisherman of the year . . . .
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ayosat(m): 5:49pm On Aug 17, 2015
robonski16:

in·val·u·a·ble
adjective
extremely useful; indispensable.
"an invaluable source of information"
synonyms: indispensable, crucial, critical, key, vital, necessary, irreplaceable, all-important
jaz:
i meant highly valuable oo grin grin cheesy infact sef i don confuse embarassed
Oh. OK, thanks then...
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski16: 6:02pm On Aug 17, 2015
Fhemmmy:

My Chairman at the top, the fisherman of the year . . . .

My chairman no dey wine me jare we dey expect your manual tongue tongue tongue
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fhemmmy: 6:04pm On Aug 17, 2015
robonski16:

My chairman no dey wine me jare we dey expect your manual tongue tongue tongue

I can send you the e-Manual for how to successfully export rides to Nigeria jooooo . . . . . tongue tongue tongue
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski16: 6:09pm On Aug 17, 2015
soft777:
HELLO HOUSE PLEASE I NEED A GOOD AND EDUCATED CATFISH HATCHERY MANAGER TO MANAGE MY HATCHERY AFTER OTA ::: HATCHERY ALREADY IN PLACE AND ACCOMODATION IS ON THE FARM . AT LEAST MANAGER SHOULD HAVE AN WORKING EXPERIENCE BEFORE. PLEASE INTRESTED PERSONS CAN CONTACT ME BY MY EMAIL egbadon.andrew@yahoo.com or buzz or rather flash MY FRANCE NUMBERS ARE 0033753341818 or 0033753897776 AND I WILL CALL BACK IMEDIATELY: SALARIES AND OTHER BENEFITS WILL BE DISCUSSED WHEN WE TALK THANKS ALL AND HAVE A BLESSED DAY.

Hello sir i sent you a mail, i got someone who is fit for this position.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by MaxTech(m): 8:04am On Aug 18, 2015
Good day, robonski15, ayosat and others ...

What are your opinion or counsel for using trapualin rubber as fish tank?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Teepompey: 8:58am On Aug 18, 2015
robonski15:
The minimum you can stock is 5000
www.agricnetwork.com
Thanks a lot, boss.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by lagbaja(m): 9:55am On Aug 18, 2015
robonski15:

It depends on your feeding pattern and the type of feed you give to them..You will need #30-#40 to produce 1 melange and #120-#150 to produce 1 table size..

This was what Robonski posted as his cost of raising an average piece of Melange which to me makes sense ( from my experience), the N150 mentioned by Femmy is for 1kg of Melange.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fhemmmy: 11:35am On Aug 18, 2015
lagbaja:

This was what Robonski posted as his cost of raising an average piece of Melange which to me makes sense ( from my experience), the N150 mentioned by Femmy is for 1kg of Melange.

I am sure you quoting chairman robonski of 1930..... and like someone said, lots of people are using 90 Naira to raise melange while could be up to 150 Naira

Chairman Robonski has thought me and belexyfarms that 1kg is not melange Oh shocked shocked shocked but a table size grow out

And I don't even wanna mention how much dem talk to raise one because each time I do, my heart beats faster cry cry cry.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (182) (183) (184) (185) (186) (187) (188) ... (523) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.