Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,520 members, 7,812,622 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:19 PM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (188) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1492347 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (185) (186) (187) (188) (189) (190) (191) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by barby008: 5:18pm On Aug 27, 2015
barby008:

These are some of the pics of the farm

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by aquadude15: 6:14pm On Aug 27, 2015
barby008:
Bin observing this thread for a while now, had to read from the very first page..I have some questions as some answers i saw are confusing and are mainly for farmers rearing the table size. I have been running a small scale hatchery farm since march after about 3 months training with a farmer and up till date,I keep making losses talkless of profit as I av tried like 12 tyms or so ( tho some losses are as a result of my mistakes/carelessness). Now,the problem is once my fries get to six days or so,dey suddenly start dying till my trough is empty despite drugs and reasonable management (in fact I treat n call dem babies,lol). I have 4 white industrial tanks which I cut into two and 6 bathtubs in the farm. I would like professionals to please enlighten me the more on how I can manage them and wouldn't mind meeting one or two farmers around me for help. I stay in Ilorin and the farm is close to Omupo,kwara state. Please I need urgent help as I have no job n keep trying with every little money I have. I really don't want to give up coz i love the biz but am pressured to.

You have a good hatchery ma.
Most hatchers have experienced something like this but you shouldnt let it pull u down. Fries mortality has different causes like you ph, feed, poor water mgt, stres, temperatur, etc.
You may give the house some hint about your hatchery mgt from day 1 till when your hatchlings start dying so we can know were you are getting it wrong and correct you or get an experience farmer to check you farm out.
More also hatchlings dont need any medication during their early stage, proper mgt matter most

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by GOLDLOVER: 7:53pm On Aug 27, 2015
barby008:
Bin observing this thread for a while now, had to read from the very first page..I have some questions as some answers i saw are confusing and are mainly for farmers rearing the table size. I have been running a small scale hatchery farm since march after about 3 months training with a farmer and up till date,I keep making losses talkless of profit as I av tried like 12 tyms or so ( tho some losses are as a result of my mistakes/carelessness). Now,the problem is once my fries get to six days or so,dey suddenly start dying till my trough is empty despite drugs and reasonable management (in fact I treat n call dem babies,lol). I have 4 white industrial tanks which I cut into two and 6 bathtubs in the farm. I would like professionals to please enlighten me the more on how I can manage them and wouldn't mind meeting one or two farmers around me for help. I stay in Ilorin and the farm is close to Omupo,kwara state. Please I need urgent help as I have no job n keep trying with every little money I have. I really don't want to give up coz i love the biz but am pressured to.
Hello ma'am, have you consulted the farmer under whom you received training for 3 months, he should be in a good position to identify where you are getting it wrong. By the way i love the pix of your farm.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by barby008: 8:01pm On Aug 27, 2015
aquadude15:

You have a good hatchery ma.
Most hatchers have experienced something like this but you shouldnt let it pull u down. Fries mortality has different causes like you ph, feed, poor water mgt, stres, temperatur, etc.
You may give the house some hint about your hatchery mgt from day 1 till when your hatchlings start dying so we can know were you are getting it wrong and correct you or get an experience farmer to check you farm out.
More also hatchlings dont need any medication during their early stage, proper mgt matter most
[quote author=barby008 post=37395538][/quote]

Once dey finish hatching,I remove d hatching net n siphon out the dead eggs n other wastes. I share dem into oda troughs weneva I see DAT dey are too much. I run a flow through system and i start feeding dem after 48 hours of hatching. I feed about 4/5 tyms with artemia mixed with little aqua medic aid to prevent diseases and siphon every morning. But at a tym,dey stop eating and suddenly start dying massively till the troughs go empty. cry cry
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by barby008: 8:07pm On Aug 27, 2015
GOLDLOVER:
Hello ma'am, have you consulted the farmer under whom you received training for 3 months, he should be in a good position to identify where you are getting it wrong. By the way i love the pix of your farm.

Yeah. I do call them to update them and most times,dey tell me to dilute the aqua medic aid and add in their water but still,no changes. In fact,the farmer once came to hatch for me but the same thing happened. I also get my broodstock from them coz they breed with them too.
And about the pics,thank you. smiley
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by aquadude15: 8:21pm On Aug 27, 2015
barby008:

Once dey finish hatching,I remove d hatching net n siphon out the dead eggs n other wastes. I share dem into oda troughs weneva I see DAT dey are too much. I run a flow through system and i start feeding dem after 48 hours of hatching. I feed about 4/5 tyms with artemia mixed with little aqua medic aid to prevent diseases and siphon every morning. But at a tym,dey stop eating and suddenly start dying massively till the troughs go empty. cry cry

You style is cool but i want to chip in some advise.
You dont feed your fries after 48hrs, you have to wait until the 4th day.
When you run Flow through and your water is crystal clear and odour free you may stop, that is if your vat is not over populated because the force of the water might cause stress and may result to mortality.
Feeding twice or thrice daily is ok and you dont need
To add medication to there feed. You also need to check your artemia because it might be fake.
I guess you are over Feeding because you dont need to siphon with in the first week.
And lastly you may need to cover you vat to make them active.
Lets wait for our big broses contribution

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by barby008: 8:42pm On Aug 27, 2015
aquadude15:

You style is cool but i want to chip in some advise.
You dont feed your fries after 48hrs, you have to wait until the 4th day.
When you run Flow through and your water is crystal clear and odour free you may stop, that is if your vat is not over populated because the force of the water might cause stress and may result to mortality.
Feeding twice or thrice daily is ok and you dont need
To add medication to there feed. You also need to check your artemia because it might be fake.
I guess you are over Feeding because you dont need to siphon with in the first week.
And lastly you may need to cover you vat to make them active.
Lets wait for our big broses contribution

Thank you so much for the advice. I would reduce the feeding,check my artemia and cover the vat. Permit me to ask few questions
1. If I have to wait till the fourth day,won't dey starve since their yolk sac is absorbed about 48hrs after hatching??
2. You mentioned that I can stop water if ts clear and odour free and not over populated,i thought drops of water gives dem oxygen as I CNT afford an aerator or oda necessary equipment for now.
3. If deres no need for medications, won't dey be prone to disease as dey re still vulnerable??
4. If I don't need to siphon in the first week, how about dere wastes??
5. Lastly,I hope tapoline is OK to cover them?
I am sorry if I ask too much questions
Abeg,big bros,make una contribute and help solve my mystery. Pleaseee sad
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Tbagwell1(m): 8:50pm On Aug 27, 2015
[quote author=barby008 post=37395538][/quote]
I like your determination, please don't allow this to pull you down. I was once in that situation not untill now that I can just wake up and hatch without having any problem( with good broodstock) having said that. I will advice u do this, change the source of your broodstock. Check your water PH. Feed after d 3rd day, feeding shld be minimal. @ d edges of ur trough. Please are u related to one mrs Aminat, she works in abuja don't know d surname?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by barby008: 9:41pm On Aug 27, 2015
Tbagwell1:

I like your determination, please don't allow this to pull you down. I was once in that situation not untill now that I can just wake up and hatch without having any problem( with good broodstock) having said that. I will advice u do this, change the source of your broodstock. Check your water PH. Feed after d 3rd day, feeding shld be minimal. @ d edges of ur trough. Please are u related to one mrs Aminat, she works in abuja don't know d surname?

Wow! shocked shocked she's my elder sis,how come you are able to fathom that?? shocked would like to know u plz,so I can easily ask questions wen need arises.
However, I will take note of ur advise. Thank you.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Tbagwell1(m): 5:16am On Aug 28, 2015
barby008:

Wow! shocked shocked she's my elder sis,how come you are able to fathom that?? shocked would like to know u plz,so I can easily ask questions wen need arises.
However, I will take note of ur advise. Thank you.
she told me she has a younger sister who wz learning hatching/ fish farming in Ilorin, when I saw ur post it fit what she told me about you. Please feel free to ask any question. I am Teslim.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by sokr8: 8:04am On Aug 28, 2015
Hello,
i stocked fingerlings in a plastic tank and they are almost 3weeks, but some of them are hanging, water mgt is ok. What is the cause and how can i stop the hanging?

I will appreciate your response. Thanks.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by barby008: 8:14am On Aug 28, 2015
Tbagwell1:
she told me she has a younger sister who wz learning hatching/ fish farming in Ilorin, when I saw ur post it fit what she told me about you. Please feel free to ask any question. I am Teslim.

Very well then..am guessing u taught her abt hatching/fish farming coz she TLD me she has learnt it afta I introduced it to her. Can I have ur whatsapp number pls?

House please, any fish farmer in Ilorin here?? I don't even know any
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 9:57am On Aug 28, 2015
CVWizards:
Also, are the bio discs still available? I'll like to get one.
It's not available..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Tbagwell1(m): 10:03am On Aug 28, 2015
barby008:

Very well then..am guessing u taught her abt hatching/fish farming coz she TLD me she has learnt it afta I introduced it to her. Can I have ur whatsapp number pls?

House please, any fish farmer in Ilorin here?? I don't even know any
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by aquadude15: 2:42pm On Aug 28, 2015
barby008:

Thank you so much for the advice. I would reduce the feeding,check my artemia and cover the vat. Permit me to ask few questions
1. If I have to wait till the fourth day,won't dey starve since their yolk sac is absorbed about 48hrs after hatching??
2. You mentioned that I can stop water if ts clear and odour free and not over populated,i thought drops of water gives dem oxygen as I CNT afford an aerator or oda necessary equipment for now.
3. If deres no need for medications, won't dey be prone to disease as dey re still vulnerable??
4. If I don't need to siphon in the first week, how about dere wastes??
5. Lastly,I hope tapoline is OK to cover them?
I am sorry if I ask too much questions
Abeg,big bros,make una contribute and help solve my mystery. Pleaseee sad

1. Their yolk sac will be absorbed on the 3rd day then you may feed on the 4th day
2. the force of the Flow through might stress them abit, u may reduce the water coming in to the barest minimum or stop it. They cant exhaust the dissolve oxygen within a week if they are not over populated. I have an aerator but i barely use it
3. If your broodstock are ok you dont need medication at the early stage
4. They just have to be strong enough to withstand the pressure before you siphon them
5. Covering them is to make their environ darker which will trigger their activity, tarpoulin is nt bad and you have to open at night
This is what i practise in my farm so any addition or subtraction is allowed
Finally whats your water ph

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by barby008: 4:39pm On Aug 28, 2015
aquadude15:

1. Their yolk sac will be absorbed on the 3rd day then you may feed on the 4th day
2. the force of the Flow through might stress them abit, u may reduce the water coming in to the barest minimum or stop it. They cant exhaust the dissolve oxygen within a week if they are not over populated. I have an aerator but i barely use it
4. They just have to be strong enough to withstand the pressure before you siphon them
5. Covering them is to make their environ darker which will trigger their activity, tarpoulin is nt bad and you have to open at night

Alright then! Will put into practice too Thanks,I really appreciate smiley. ...I really don't know d pH,just took d water to a lab today
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 4:40pm On Aug 28, 2015
Tbagwell1:

Good!!!
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 4:42pm On Aug 28, 2015
barby008:

Alright then! Will put into practice too Thanks,I really appreciate smiley. ...I really don't know d pH,just took d water to a lab today
Get your own P.H meter to test for every spawning.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 4:43pm On Aug 28, 2015
aquadude15:

Good practice!!
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by barby008: 5:54pm On Aug 28, 2015
robonski15:

Get your own P.H meter to test for every spawning.

Thank you. I will do DAT asap
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 6:01pm On Aug 28, 2015
barby008:

Thank you. I will do DAT asap
Also read up management of fries on agricnetwork. cheers
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 6:03pm On Aug 28, 2015
sokr8:
Hello,
i stocked fingerlings in a plastic tank and they are almost 3weeks, but some of them are hanging, water mgt is ok. What is the cause and how can i stop the hanging?

I will appreciate your response. Thanks.
Catfish do hang especially at this stage.. just keep observing them..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 6:10pm On Aug 28, 2015
retin01:
I am here sir,just busy with other tins 4 now, thanks for checking up..
whats up with the ovens..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by WhoBeThisMan: 6:15pm On Aug 28, 2015
Oga robonski15 how do I contact you directly pls
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 6:20pm On Aug 28, 2015
WhoBeThisMan:
Oga robonski15 how do I contact you directly pls
My chairman.. E mail: robonski15@gmail.com BBM 75128EC6 whatsapp 08061682047
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by barby008: 6:50pm On Aug 28, 2015
robonski15:

Also read up management of fries on agricnetwork. cheers

Done. Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by WhoBeThisMan: 7:03pm On Aug 28, 2015
robonski15:

My chairman.. E mail: robonski15@gmail.com BBM 75128EC6 whatsapp 08061682047
thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by donnaheff: 9:38am On Aug 29, 2015
Please is there any hatcher in calabar cos am in need of 8000 fingerlings
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 1:47pm On Aug 29, 2015
donnaheff:
Please is there any hatcher in calabar cos am in need of 8000 fingerlings

you can call 08036441493.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 8:16pm On Aug 29, 2015
[b]Nigerian Catfish Farmers Can Save The Nigerian Economy, But Does Our Govt Care?
Bamidele Onibalusi

Editor’s note: Will President Muhammadu Buhari and his government make use of the suggestions made by bright and young Nigerians with the enthusiasm and potential to push the Nigerian economy forward? Naij.com contributor, a promising Nigerian entrepreneur, author and businessman, Bamidele Onibalusi focuses on the Nigerian catfish farmers who, with the help of the government, could stimulate the growth and development of the agricultural sector of our economy.

Developing nations of the world depend mainly on the primary sectors of the economy which basically are mining and agriculture.

The situation in Nigeria is not different, only that the majority of Nigeria’s working population depends on agriculture more than mining. Agriculture is the most important sector of Nigeria’s economy, and research shows that about 70% of Nigeria’s labour force is engaged in agriculture.

The agricultural sector in Nigeria is mainly dominated by the aged (50+ and retirees), but a sector that is appealing to Nigerian youths is the catfish farming sector. The reasons for this are not far-fetched:

It is easy to set up a catfish farm compared to other sectors of agriculture
It is less strenuous than other types of agriculture
It can be done on part-time basis with returns guaranteed; it isn’t unusual to find people involved with catfish farming in addition to full time jobs
You can recoup your capital and interest within a short time-frame; typically between 3 – 6 months
There’s readily available market for catfish produce
The sector offering opportunities

Since the early nineties, people have been going into catfish farming increasing awareness about catfish, and many Nigerians now see it as a substitute to imported fish.

The self-employment that has been the outcry of the Nigerian government can never be actualized in other sectors of the economy except the agricultural sector, catfish farming in particular. Hence, many unemployed youths have embraced this opportunity to be self-employed in this sector.

Part two loading[/b]
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by donnaheff: 3:06pm On Aug 30, 2015
robonski15:

you can call 08036441493.
the number is not going through. Please could u ask him to contact me on 08080220574 ASAP.
thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (185) (186) (187) (188) (189) (190) (191) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.