Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,473 members, 7,812,463 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:48 PM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (186) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1492291 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (183) (184) (185) (186) (187) (188) (189) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by GOLDLOVER: 11:43am On Aug 18, 2015
robonski16:

My chairman firstly i have said it times without number that buying fingerlings/juvenile to melange is not feasible you hatch yourself, stock and sell the rest to buy feed.. more so spending #150 to get an average weight of 350grms after three months is NULL, their average weight should be half a kg that is 500grms, some farmers don't spend up to #150 in raising their melange.

500grms x 5000= 2500kg

2500kg x #400= 1million profit

#150 to raise one fish plus miscellaneous.... #150 x 5000= 750,000

#100,000,000 - #750,000 =#250k (net profit)

If you read my write up on melange i said 5000 to me is the least you can stock and you have to continue a cycle before harvest. you can be harvesting every month.

Robonski, how many melange do u stock in your 10ft x 10ft x 5ft concrete ponds? Thanks.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 3:36pm On Aug 18, 2015
robonski16:

Bro we are waiting for the continuation of your experience wink

My Oga, no be small thing o, it an eye opener, i must confess that it was painfully exciting. Anyway let me discuss my mistakes

MY MISTAKES:
1.Stress: My mistakes started from the construction of my pond, rather than use the conventional outlet with big pipe that will allow water to flow rapidly from the pond thereby reducing the stress period of fish during changing of water, my outlet can take as much as two hours before water is drain from the pump and another 3 hour to pump water into the pump because i used the smallest pipe to run water from the tank to the pond.

2. Seed: Though i bought my fingerling from a reputable farm, yet what i bought was not sorted to guarantee even growth thereby making some fish to grow faster than the other
Also my seed cannot be said to be the first set which some people call shooters

3. Feeding: Rather than start with 1.2-1.5 which contain 56% protein to boost their growth regardless of what they ve be eating from where bought it, I started feeding my fish with 2mm simply because the fish was already eating 2mm from where i bough it.

4. Water Management: From my previous write-up, it was clear to me that there was no magic that would have made my fish attain reasonable weight at 4month

Before, i talk about my success, my Ogas who i believe have once be in my shoe should share with us how they were able to turn things around when they found themselves in this my situation

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by soft777(m): 4:39pm On Aug 18, 2015
THANKS MR ROBONSKI BUT I TRIED UR NUMBER SEVRAL TIMES 08061682047 ITS NOT GOING THROUGH CAN U GIVE ME OTHER NUMBERS SO I CAN REACH U : THANK U
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by gnldcares4you: 4:52pm On Aug 18, 2015
Super Gro The Wonderful Natural Liquid Fertilizer

The Super Gro Liquid Fertilizer is a nontoxic, non caustic and non flammable making it safe and easy to handle and use. Very concentrated and economical, mixed with water in a dilution of 1:1000. Suitable for use on all indoor and outdoor vegetation. Perfect match with Super 10 to drive away ALL insects and pests in your farms when mixed together be fore spraying.

GNLD Super Gro is a miracle wonder formula that increases harvest for crops, trees, and fish farmers
Super Gro can be used for all kinds of agricultural crops and trees
VEGETABLES; Ugu, Spinach, Cabbage, Carrots, Okro, etc.
ROOT CROPS & TUBERS; Yam, Cassava, Cocoyam, etc.
FRUITS; Pineapple, Mangoes, Oranges, Pawpaw, etc.
GRAINS; Beans, Rice, Maize, Soyabeans, Groundnut, etc.
Super Gro can also be used to improve the quality in;
FISH FARMING; Catfish, etc

How Does GNLD Super Gro Works;On one hand, an adjuvant is an agent designed to aid in substances’ action.On the other hand,surfactants are wetting agents.

As a surfactant, GNLD Super Gro acts as an emulsifier to disperse oils, as a wetting agent to lower surface tension and as a dispersing agent to reduce adhesion between particles of chemicals, so they will spread and remain in solution longer.
GNLD Super Gro makes other agricultural treatments a farmer uses (like fertiliser, insecticides and pesticides), perform better by helping them penetrate deeper, stick better, stay longer and work more effectively.

GNLD’s Super Gro Natural Liquid Fertilizer improves crop yield by as much as 167% during harvest.
Use with Super 10 or LDC to kill and drive off ALL insects and pects from your crops, plants and or animals**

Key Features

GNLD’s Super Gro acts as both an adjuvant and a surfactant.
On one hand, an adjuvant is an agent designed to aid in substances’ action.
On the other hand,surfactants are wetting agents.
Optimizes water use by overcoming water repellent.
Increasing the rate of soil penetration.
Reduces run-off and evaporation.
Compatible with agricultural aids and can improve the performance of pesticides.
Insecticides and fertilizers.
It helps you make the most of water by making it wetter.
It increases water absorption for Plants, Lawns, Gardens and your Farms.
Promotes Soil penetration, thereby minimize water loss, runoffs and evaporation.
Several domestic and agricultural applications - indoors & outdoors.
Economical - just one or two droops per litre of water (1:1,000 dilution)

Contact me with: info_anchoragelinksltd@yahoo.com or Direct Calls with: 08063894916/08098277410
Anthony Okeremute; shipment is FREE Nationwide to ALL Fedex Express Courier Offices from the GNLD Headquarters in Lagos.

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski16: 5:27pm On Aug 18, 2015
soft777:
THANKS MR ROBONSKI BUT I TRIED UR NUMBER SEVRAL TIMES 08061682047 ITS NOT GOING THROUGH CAN U GIVE ME OTHER NUMBERS SO I CAN REACH U : THANK U
Check your mail sir..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by lagbaja(m): 6:23pm On Aug 18, 2015
Fhemmmy:

I am sure you quoting chairman robonski of 1930..... and like someone said, lots of people are using 90 Naira to raise melange while could be up to 150 Naira

Chairman Robonski has thought me and belexyfarms that 1kg is not melange Oh shocked shocked shocked but a table size grow out

And I don't even wanna mention how much dem talk to raise one because each time I do, my heart beats faster cry cry cry.

When I say 1kg of melange, I do not mean a single table size catfish. When buyers buy, they buy per kg ( 3 or 4 fishes makes a kg of melange) so it makes business sense to estimate cost per kg of melange instead of unit cost of melange. It is erroneous to estimate a unit cost of melange as you did because no 2 persons sell melange at same average size.

3 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fhemmmy: 6:27pm On Aug 18, 2015
lagbaja:

When I say 1kg of melange, I do not mean a single table size catfish. When buyers buy, they buy per kg ( 3 or 4 fishes makes a kg of melange) so it makes business sense to estimate cost per kg of melange instead of unit cost of melange. It is erroneous to estimate a unit cost of melange as you did because no 2 persons sell melange at same average size.

OK, Sir . . . Thanks for the correction, but i think it boils down to same thing.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Tbagwell1(m): 8:02pm On Aug 18, 2015
Please house I need a detailed business plan / feasibility study on fish farming. Thanks teslimoluyomi@yahoo.ca
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by saddek04: 10:45pm On Aug 18, 2015
robonski16:

Check your mail sir..
gudday to you all, pls I eed an urgent soutin to a problem. I hatched on thursday, and twa very successful. I started feeding yesterday with egg yolk mxed with antibiotics. This morning I changed to artemia but by the time I checked them in the afternoon, most of them were lying on top of water with swollen tummy filled with water. I tried to feed them but they didn't respond. I am so confused that I don't know what to do next. Pls what could be the problem. Is it the artemia I fed them or the antibiotics ie chloramphenicol and tetracycline mixed with the egg yolk. Or maybe the broodstock is infected. How is broodstock treated before using them. This is very urgent so that I will not lose all the fries. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 7:03am On Aug 19, 2015
GOLDLOVER:
Robonski, how many melange do u stock in your 10ft x 10ft x 5ft concrete ponds? Thanks.
1500 sir.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 9:53am On Aug 19, 2015
saddek04:
gudday to you all, pls I eed an urgent soutin to a problem. I hatched on thursday, and twa very successful. I started feeding yesterday with egg yolk mxed with antibiotics. This morning I changed to artemia but by the time I checked them in the afternoon, most of them were lying on top of water with swollen tummy filled with water. I tried to feed them but they didn't respond. I am so confused that I don't know what to do next. Pls what could be the problem. Is it the artemia I fed them or the antibiotics ie chloramphenicol and tetracycline mixed with the egg yolk. Or maybe the broodstock is infected. How is broodstock treated before using them. This is very urgent so that I will not lose all the fries. Thanks

Chairman how will you mix egg.yolk with chlorsphenicol and tetracycline to feed fries. The best thing is to stop the mixture and give them artemia, don't complicate issues for yourself, at this stage fries require constant clean water.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by saddek04: 6:26pm On Aug 19, 2015
robonski15:

Chairman how will you mix egg.yolk with chlorsphenicol and tetracycline to feed fries. The best thing is to stop the mixture and give them artemia, don't complicate issues for yourself, at this stage fries require constant clean water.
Tnx for your advice. Has anyone heard of yolk sac oedema before and what causes it.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by GOLDLOVER: 7:11pm On Aug 19, 2015
robonski15:

1500 sir.
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by walexy001: 8:00pm On Aug 19, 2015
My Ogas in the house pls what can I use to lower the pH of my water for my hatchery and what can be use to maintain or increase it a times . waiting for your quick response
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 12:10pm On Aug 20, 2015
walexy001:
My Ogas in the house pls what can I use to lower the pH of my water for my hatchery and what can be use to maintain or increase it a times . waiting for your quick response

I remember someone on this thread mentioned soda ash [sodium carbonate] to increase PH and alum to reduce PH

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 8:36pm On Aug 20, 2015
Ttalk:

My Oga, no be small thing o, it an eye opener, i must confess that it was painfully exciting. Anyway let me discuss my mistakes

MY MISTAKES:
1.Stress: My mistakes started from the construction of my pond, rather than use the conventional outlet with big pipe that will allow water to flow rapidly from the pond thereby reducing the stress period of fish during changing of water, my outlet can take as much as two hours before water is drain from the pump and another 3 hour to pump water into the pump because i used the smallest pipe to run water from the tank to the pond.

2. Seed: Though i bought my fingerling from a reputable farm, yet what i bought was not sorted to guarantee even growth thereby making some fish to grow faster than the other
Also my seed cannot be said to be the first set which some people call shooters

3. Feeding: Rather than start with 1.2-1.5 which contain 56% protein to boost their growth regardless of what they ve be eating from where bought it, I started feeding my fish with 2mm simply because the fish was already eating 2mm from where i bough it.

4. Water Management: From my previous write-up, it was clear to me that there was no magic that would have made my fish attain reasonable weight at 4month

Before, i talk about my success, my Ogas who i believe have once be in my shoe should share with us how they were able to turn things around when they found themselves in this my situation

Chairman the only thing that went wrong so far is the water management, without a proper water management nothing can be achieved. 2mm is ideal for feeding fingerlings, most farmers think the higher the protein the better but the truth is catfish requires only 28% crude protein but with a balanced amino acid at the end of the day they achieve almost same result as long as you keep your water clean and you feed your fish regularly to satiation..

www.agricnetwork.com

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by GOLDLOVER: 10:20pm On Aug 20, 2015
robonski15:

Chairman the only thing that went wrong so far is the water management, without a proper water management nothing can be achieved. 2mm is ideal for feeding fingerlings, most farmers think the higher the protein the better but the truth is catfish requires only 28% crude protein but with a balanced amino acid at the end of the day they achieve almost same result as long as you keep your water clean and you feed your fish regularly to satiation..

www.agricnetwork.com
hmmm.. very true. This also applies to humans and other animals. The quality of the protein is more important than the quantity. High quality protein contains all essential amino acids. Thanks for this info.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excess4luv: 1:36pm On Aug 21, 2015
sir Robonski plz can 15k monthly budget on feeding alone take 1000 fingerlings for three months, if no plz suggest the number of fingers it can take conviniently for 3 months.
tanx sir
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by GOLDLOVER: 8:10pm On Aug 21, 2015
Hello Robonski, could you please throw some light on how the hatchlings are classified. In other words what are the criteria for categorising them as first class, second class, third class and runts. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Senatorbee(m): 12:06am On Aug 22, 2015
Please Gurus in on the thread, what other means can cat fish be preserved for sale and package in large quantity apart frm smoking
and how they can be done

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 5:50am On Aug 22, 2015
excess4luv:
sir Robonski plz can 15k monthly budget on feeding alone take 1000 fingerlings for three months, if no plz suggest the number of fingers it can take conviniently for 3 months.
tanx sir

It can take 600 sir.. do you want to raise them to melange?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by GOLDLOVER: 10:14am On Aug 22, 2015
Hello Robonski, could you please throw some light on how the hatchlings are classified. In other words what are the criteria for categorising them as first class, second class, third class and runts. Thanks smiley smiley
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excess4luv: 10:35am On Aug 22, 2015
robonski15:

no sir. table size but am considering cash @hand.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Senatorbee(m): 12:16pm On Aug 22, 2015
Roboskii, please what other medium can i use catfish for apart from smoking and fresh so as to preserve it and sell to make profit
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ab1x: 9:08pm On Aug 22, 2015
There are two additional ways in which you can treat your fish if you observe that they are dying.

1) Get bitter leaf (ewuro), it should be as many as possible. Put little water inside the leaf and squeezed it very well (gbo dada) in such a way that all the vitality will be extracted during squeezing. After which you are to drain the water in the pond, leave little water to cover their body and pour the squizzed water into the pond. You are to leave them for 12 hours before feeding

2) Another one is to get formalin (can be purchase from any store that sells chemical for weeds), you will mix with water depending on how big your pond is, you then sprinkle it inside your pond. PLEASE note you don't need to drain your water before applying but, make sure water does not enter and water does not go out. You are to feed them after 12 hours.

No matter the nature of their sickness, it will flush out the disease.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 4:53am On Aug 23, 2015
Senatorbee:
Roboskii, please what other medium can i use catfish for apart from smoking and fresh so as to preserve it and sell to make profit
You can also freeze and sell

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 4:57am On Aug 23, 2015
GOLDLOVER:
Hello Robonski, could you please throw some light on how the hatchlings are classified. In other words what are the criteria for categorising them as first class, second class, third class and runts. Thanks smiley smiley
I explained in summary on how to identify runts, but by their performance you can categorise the classes.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by GOLDLOVER: 7:49am On Aug 23, 2015
robonski15:

In other words it costs about #75 per unit to raise melange, right ?. What will be their average weight by then?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 9:52am On Aug 23, 2015
GOLDLOVER:
In other words it costs about #75 per unit to raise melange, right ?. What will be their average weight by then?
Depends also on the feed, I don't use coppens, multi or zeigler to feed melange which is more costlier, I use either vital, top or crown feed to reduce cost drastically.. I project two make a kg.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by BELEXYFARMS(m): 3:01pm On Aug 23, 2015
Fhemmmy:

I am sure you quoting chairman robonski of 1930..... and like someone said, lots of people are using 90 Naira to raise melange while could be up to 150 Naira

Chairman Robonski has thought me and belexyfarms that 1kg is not melange Oh shocked shocked shocked but a table size grow out

And I don't even wanna mention how much dem talk to raise one because each time I do, my heart beats faster cry cry cry.
tongue interesting discussions about melange farming. Mind you, if u are gonna get average weight of 500g in 3 months, then you must av hatched urself and stocked the best 5000pcs from the over 20, 000 fries hatched, coupled with vigorous water mgt and intense feeding. If not, then you are ON YOUR OWN.
Melange can be as low as N350 per kilo to as high as N400 (depending on their sizes and the quantity available for sale, and the group of people buying them).
#Watching in 5D

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by GOLDLOVER: 7:09pm On Aug 23, 2015
robonski15:

Depends also on the feed, I don't use coppens, multi or zeigler to feed melange which is more costlier, I use either vital, top or crown feed to reduce cost drastically.. I project two make a kg.
Thanks , if i use any of these nigerian produced feeds { vital, top, crown} to feed my fish to TABLE SIZE, will i be able to get the same result as when i use any of the three imported brands mentioned above { copens, multi, zeigler }. Thanks.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by korel9: 8:18am On Aug 24, 2015
ab1x:
There are two additional ways in which you can treat your fish if you observe that they are dying.

1) Get bitter leaf (ewuro), it should be as many as possible. Put little water inside the leaf and squeezed it very well (gbo dada) in such a way that all the vitality will be extracted during squeezing. After which you are to drain the water in the pond, leave little water to cover their body and pour the squizzed water into the pond. You are to leave them for 12 hours before feeding

2) Another one is to get formalin (can be purchase from any store that sells chemical for weeds), you will mix with water depending on how big your pond is, you then sprinkle it inside your pond. PLEASE note you don't need to drain your water before applying but, make sure water does not enter and water does not go out. You are to feed them after 12 hours.

No matter the nature of their sickness, it will flush out the disease.

My ogas in d house can you please confirm this?
Cc: robonski15
robonski16
fhemmmy

(1) (2) (3) ... (183) (184) (185) (186) (187) (188) (189) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.