Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,252 members, 7,811,699 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:34 PM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (216) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1491956 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (213) (214) (215) (216) (217) (218) (219) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 7:42pm On Nov 11, 2015
robonski15:

Hello sir, it will be delivered to you. Just call and place your orders. Thanks 09054672750 or 07043941307
. # my Oga robo ur no is not on jo, abegi will need post fingerlings of d hybrid 5000 pieces. U r on ma whatsapp already but pings sent to u r not dropping... am @ Ibadan...
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by aquadude15: 8:20pm On Nov 11, 2015
Xhizuru:
Wow, so happy to finally post here.

Kudos to all the professors and helpers here... I cannot name but you know yourselves lol.

I have been following this thread for months, and decided to start small... A close contact of mine is also involved and has run a fish farm before.

We decided to go straight in to hatching.

I rented a farm - several hatching and larger concrete ponds. We bought some brood stocks from badagry.

First time, we hatched 3 females. It went so well. The fries were doing well... Until 3 weeks old. Then we started noticing foaming, and we lost 90% of the fries.

Second time, we hatched 4 females. Again, the product was very high. This time, at 1 week, we moved them out of the hatching ponds into the larger ponds thinking they will be happier with more space. Yesterday morning, at 4 weeks old they all started dropping again.

We change the water daily, and in fact, last weekend we started doing flow through for 5 hours a day. Water ph was good, around 7. Water is pumped from a borehole, held in a big pond for 2 days before entering the fries pond.

We asked around the area, and came across a water "expert" who says we should pour a bag of limestone in the holding pond.

I am really scratching my head here. What could we be doing wrong. Any assistance would be required please.

Even a visit to the farm from any around Ikotun area would be welcomed.

Transfer them to another pond, but if you dont have extra pond, transfer them out of the pond wash it and return them back
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by soft777(m): 11:11pm On Nov 11, 2015
Xhizuru:
Wow, so happy to finally post here.

Kudos to all the professors and helpers here... I cannot name but you know yourselves lol.

I have been following this thread for months, and decided to start small... A close contact of mine is also involved and has run a fish farm before.

We decided to go straight in to hatching.

I rented a farm - several hatching and larger concrete ponds. We bought some brood stocks from badagry.

First time, we hatched 3 females. It went so well. The fries were doing well... Until 3 weeks old. Then we started noticing foaming, and we lost 90% of the fries.

Second time, we hatched 4 females. Again, the product was very high. This time, at 1 week, we moved them out of the hatching ponds into the larger ponds thinking they will be happier with more space. Yesterday morning, at 4 weeks old they all started dropping again.

We change the water daily, and in fact, last weekend we started doing flow through for 5 hours a day. Water ph was good, around 7. Water is pumped from a borehole, held in a big pond for 2 days before entering the fries pond.

We asked around the area, and came across a water "expert" who says we should pour a bag of limestone in the holding pond.

I am really scratching my head here. What could we be doing wrong. Any assistance would be required please.

Even a visit to the farm from any around Ikotun area would be welcomed.
IF your ph is ok and you aerate regularly for oxygen, then your problem will be dissolve ions in your water ..Try to take your water for analysis ..if its dissolve ions then u need to make a filtration chamber with silica sand .Allow your water to pass through it before it get to your hatching vat , to take care of the dissolve ions in your water , and if its not ion , then do what the prof robonski said , change your vat it may be infected or do good cleaning of your vat with formalin before u hartch again GOOD LUCK
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by shortletsesan: 3:08pm On Nov 12, 2015
I have healthy and tested, male and female, catfish broodstocks for sale 1.5 kg to 2kg, 14month+ old around Isheri Magodo, Lagos state. Please call: 08054240524.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 4:40pm On Nov 12, 2015
Goldencollins:

I enjoyed reading ur testimony,please I have some questions,in a case where water is scares how often can the water be changed?

what's the dimensions in length,width and depth of a pond that can comfortably contain 1000 fishes?

how many plots of land can be used for commercial cat fish farming?

how much is 1kg of fish?

how do u go about sorting of the fish considering their number of over 1000?

Hello sir, a pond dimension if 12 by 12 feet with a depth of 4 feet will accomodate 1000 fishes comfortably to maturity.

A plot of land is ok to start a commercial farming.

Fish price varies from state to state, sorting can be done by bringing out the fishes sort them to different sizes its a strenuous activity but it must be done to avoid cannibalism and slow growth.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 5:05pm On Nov 12, 2015
I greet all my Ogas in the house and the newbies like me.. Please is there anyone here from Ijebu Ode that can show me what DAPHNIA looks like, have only seen what it looks like in a book but not in real life .. Please I look forward to use it in my next job.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Goldencollins: 5:32pm On Nov 12, 2015
robonski15:

Hello sir, a pond dimension if 12 by 12 feet with a depth of 4 feet will accomodate 1000 fishes comfortably to maturity.

Fish price varies from state to state, sorting can be done by bringing out the fishes sort them to different sizes its a strenuous activity but it must be done to avoid cannibalism and slow growth.

thank you very much Sir for your kind response,pls can I have your whatsap contact so we can talk more on fish pond,I want to learn from u......Thank u sir
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by atanda2001uk(m): 8:59pm On Nov 12, 2015
pls our ogas in the house, where can I get pump suitable for pond? I am not referring to submersible pump o. I am at Ibadan, thank you.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 9:14pm On Nov 12, 2015
atanda2001uk:
pls our ogas in the house, where can I get pump suitable for pond? I am not referring to submersible pump o. I am at Ibadan, thank you.
@ Atanda, do u mean pumping machine? The one used in draining water! U can get it @ Ogunpa here in Ibadan can give u sm1 reliable.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 9:20pm On Nov 12, 2015

Fish price varies from state to state, sorting can be done by bringing out the fishes sort them to different sizes its a strenuous activity but it must be done to avoid cannibalism and slow growth. @ Oga Robo, I called today n spoke wiv ur manager... hope he relate my orders to u?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by atanda2001uk(m): 9:38pm On Nov 12, 2015
@chilan. yes my brother. But not submersible or surface type of pumping machine. There are some that are suitable for pond. You may send the phone no of the person you have in mind to make enquiries. thank you.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 4:41am On Nov 13, 2015
soft777:
ok good luck
ยป ogami sa soft77, pls I need ur assistance in some aspect of feed formulation. My whatsapp no is 07065874135! Really appreciate all ur good deeds...
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 4:45am On Nov 13, 2015
atanda2001uk:
@chilan. yes my brother. But not submersible or surface type of pumping machine. There are some that are suitable for pond. You may send the phone no of the person you have in mind to make enquiries. thank you.
Boss will call u 2day on ma way 4rm challenge in da morning maybe we can see n talk.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 1:38pm On Nov 13, 2015
adebajo11:
I greet all my Ogas in the house and the newbies like me.. Please is there anyone here from Ijebu Ode that can show me what DAPHNIA looks like, have only seen what it looks like in a book but not in real life .. Please I look forward to use it in my next job.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by KINGPINE: 3:23pm On Nov 13, 2015
soft777:
1.. foreign and local to me are the same, fish is fish every were either foreign or local fish is fish ..the only problem with local is that some sellers mix there local feed with other adultrated material just to increase the volume ..that is why people pre fare the foreign but if u get good locally made fish feed to me its thesame.

Please define good locally made feed
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 3:24pm On Nov 13, 2015
chilanfarms:

Fish price varies from state to state, sorting can be done by bringing out the fishes sort them to different sizes its a strenuous activity but it must be done to avoid cannibalism and slow growth. @ Oga Robo, I called today n spoke wiv ur manager... hope he relate my orders to u?

Hello sir, yes he told me about your orders.. It is done.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 4:31pm On Nov 13, 2015
Our alpha net earthen pond for fingerlings/juvenile production, they are grown in their natural environment for quicker growth. They also feed on live zooplanktons and artificial feed for super-duper growth.

Also men are seriously working on our large earthen ponds for melange production.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 4:31pm On Nov 13, 2015

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by donfiazo2k: 5:15pm On Nov 13, 2015
How many fishes from fingerlings to maturity can I put in a pond of 10*6 ft?

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Oyalfares: 6:58pm On Nov 13, 2015
robonski15:
Hello ladies and gentlemen, We are proud to announce that our fast growing rugged fingerlings/juveniles sales start from 1st of December. Production will be weekly.. We will be supplying anywhere in Nigeria, for Lagos and Ogun farmers there will be a free delivery straight to your farm, for other part of the country we will assist with 50% of your transportation cost..

Buyers will also be given free 5kg imported special super grow fingerlings/juvenile feed to boost their growth. I personally call it GROWTH MAGIC..Also we offer after sales support and free consultancy to all our buyers..Special oxygenated bags will be used to transport the fishes to avoid stress.

We have cut down the price to #8 for fingerlings #12 for juvenile for all to benefit and maximize profit.

Call now to place your orders. 09054672750 07043941307

Hi Robonski, how old are your juveniles by
1st week December
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 7:43pm On Nov 13, 2015
robonski15:

Am sorry about that sir, the number is on now.. When do you want it sir.
# okay sa! 1st or 2nd week in December will be ok.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 7:45pm On Nov 13, 2015
donfiazo2k:
How many fishes from fingerlings to maturity can I put in a pond of 10*6 ft?

400-450 fishes for better result.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by soft777(m): 8:34pm On Nov 13, 2015
please anybody who has used plastic vats or tapolin vat to sell , should contact this number 07042660868 or 08175505032 thank u
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by soft777(m): 10:02pm On Nov 13, 2015
KINGPINE:

Please define good locally made feed
A good local feed is one that has all the required nutrients or say balance diet ; a fish require for tissue , or flesh production or growth. A good local feed should be palatable bindwell and float at least 5 min . Overall should be economical not too cost. i have tried to disscuse about some cheaper ingredients to replace some good percentage of the costly ingredients, and still give same result to your fish...Ihope it answers your question , but If u have a specific question on local feed, i will be glad to elaborate GOD BLESS
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 11:07am On Nov 14, 2015
robonski15:

This pic reminds me of my supposed perm site. Same soil colour and texture.
May God bless our hussle.

How do u handle security in d farm?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 4:10pm On Nov 14, 2015
mercylicious:

This pic reminds me of my supposed perm site. Same soil colour and texture. May God bless our hussle. Pls can heip with a fish farm business plan pls How do u handle security in d farm?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Trevelyan(m): 7:44pm On Nov 14, 2015
By far the best thread on catfish farming on Nairaland. Please all my catfish post fingerlings in one one of my tanks suddenly stopped eating about three weeks ago and their growth has been stunted since then even though they remain active. The others in the second tank are eating and doing very well, please is there any thing i could give to them to make them eat? i'm really worried, they dont eat and the food dissolves to pollute the water, i use a plastic tank. Please Robonski, Nairalanders, help me if you have any solution. I'll really appreciate, please help reply with your precious time and dont ignore. Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by korel9: 8:21pm On Nov 14, 2015
robonski15:

Hello sir, yes he told me about your orders.. It is done.

Help sir my fish are dying.
I purchase water to rear my fish and unfortunately d water vendor brought contaminated water to me (for d 1st time). The fish reacted and immediately I changed d water. Now dey are weak and dying what do I do? How do I normalise d water to make it ok for use? Please help its urgent.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 2:14am On Nov 15, 2015
korel9:

Help sir my fish are dying.
I purchase water to rear my fish and unfortunately d water vendor brought contaminated water to me (for d 1st time). The fish reacted and immediately I changed d water. Now dey are weak and dying what do I do? How do I normalise d water to make it ok for use? Please help its urgent.

Flush out the water immediately and purchase a fresh one..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 2:16am On Nov 15, 2015
Trevelyan:
By far the best thread on catfish farming on Nairaland. Pleasejunirn all my catfish post fingerlings in one one of my tanks suddenly stopped eating about three weeks ago and their growth has been stunted since then even though they remain active. The others in the second tank are eating and doing very well, please is there any thing i could give to them to make them eat? i'm really worried, they dont eat and the food dissolves to pollute the water, i use a plastic tank. Please Robonski, Nairalanders, help me if you have any solution. I'll really appreciate, please help reply with your precious time and dont ignore. Thanks

What is the size of that tank and how many did u stock?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 9:11am On Nov 15, 2015
I assume not even a single person on this thread is from my area since i get no response to my post.. then anyone here from IBADAN that can show me what DAPHNIA looks like please i really need it badly.

Oga Robonski abeg is there anyway u can help.. i will really appreciate .. thanks.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by fzero: 10:17am On Nov 15, 2015
adebajo11:
I assume not even a single person on this thread is from my area since i get no response to my post.. then anyone here from IBADAN that can show me what DAPHNIA looks like please i really need it badly.

Oga Robonski abeg is there anyway u can help.. i will really appreciate .. thanks.
noble farm created an educative thread/topic on how to culture daphnia. Check it out on agricnetwork.com

(1) (2) (3) ... (213) (214) (215) (216) (217) (218) (219) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.