Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,084 members, 7,811,040 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:24 PM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (217) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1491678 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (214) (215) (216) (217) (218) (219) (220) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by saddek04: 10:18am On Nov 15, 2015
Happy Sundat to all the people in the house. Pls can u enlighten us on the alpha net pic u recently posted? Will this be the abode of the fries till the grow to fingerlings? If so, how will they have access to the zooplankton available in the pond and how will they be fed? Also what is the success rate of this method, mortality, advantages and disadvantages? Your elabote explanation will be highly appreciated. Thanks
robonski15:
Our alpha net earthen pond for fingerlings/juvenile production, they are grown in their natural environment for quicker growth. They also feed on live zooplanktons and artificial feed for super-duper growth.

Also men are seriously working on our large earthen ponds for melange production.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by GOLDLOVER: 10:18am On Nov 15, 2015
lagbaja:

Recirculatory systems are not expensive to maintain at all. I speak from experience. In Nigeria, It is far cheaper than all other methods when you place them side by side. It offers high density biomass, as much as 300kg of fish in a 1000litre tank. continuous oxygenation, faster growth rate. All you need to keep it running is an " I better pass my neighbor " generator (which has a capacity of about 500watts) as a back up to your phcn source.

I use a resun 200watts pump with capacity to pump 13000litres per hour. I also use a 50watts uv fitted biofilter tank. I spend less than N500 daily running my system. however, if you run it with PHCN only, it costs about N150 per day. Ie 200watts * 24 hours= 2.4kwattshr. 1 kwattshr costs about N30 if u use a prepaid meter. You also don't need to buy drugs all the time as the drug is continuously recirculated. You don't need frequent water change because the water is continuously cleaned by the system. This is the secret behind the successes of Durante, the biggest fish farm in Nigeria.
Hello Lagbaja, i'm very much interested in this recirculating system. How much will it cost me to obtain one like yours. I live in an area without adequate drainage. I cant discharge too much water frequently. I need a system to cater for a total of 4000 kg of fish. Thanks.

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Boskaii: 11:56pm On Nov 15, 2015
GOLDLOVER:

Hello Lagbaja, i'm very much interested in this recirculating system. How much will it cost me to obtain one like yours. I live in an area without adequate drainage. I cant discharge too much water frequently. I need a system to cater for a total of 4000 kg of fish. Thanks.

please am also interested in the cost analysis of this system. thank you
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by larry167show: 8:40am On Nov 16, 2015
@robonski15, ab1x and the house,

i troway Salute, i want to ask ask the house where i can get fish tool and equipment in lagos close to ikotun area like, water treatment test kit, Ph scale, airpump, Bio-filter and others

Thank you
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by puffynana(m): 12:12pm On Nov 16, 2015
Hello house! Hmm how should I even start, am a corp member serving in Plateau state. I reside in akure, ondo state and I plan to start fish farming as soon as I finish service by April next year.
I plan to start construction of my pond by Dec wen I go home and I am still yet to decide if I should use a concrete block or a plastic one. I plan to start small with 1000 fingerings. I av read and read this trend but can't make a decision out of it yet. If there is any fish farmer in akure that can be of help and mentor an engineer turn farmer please notify me
Besides I don't know if there is any pdf file from one of the bosses here that can serve as guide,please direct me to it. Besides I av being to Agric network and I don't seem to be able to find my way around it.
Thanks in advance
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by gspace1960(m): 1:00pm On Nov 16, 2015
melange available.......07060523565
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 9:13pm On Nov 16, 2015
gspace1960:
#where is ur farm @? How do u sell?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by gspace1960(m): 10:37pm On Nov 16, 2015
chilanfarms:
#where is ur farm @? How do u sell?

locatn....alagbole akute(lagos).......400/kg
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by phunkies9(m): 12:49am On Nov 17, 2015
Gud day mr rabonski,I sent u a mail yesterday,am still awaiting ur reply sir. Tanx in advance
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 5:09am On Nov 17, 2015
saddek04:
Happy Sundat to all the people in the house. Pls can u enlighten us on the alpha net pic u recently posted? Will this be the abode of the fries till the grow to fingerlings? If so, how will they have access to the zooplankton available in the pond and how will they be fed? Also what is the success rate of this method, mortality, advantages and disadvantages? Your elabote explanation will be highly appreciated. Thanks

Before the alpha net is placed in the earthen nursery, it is firstly well fertilized so that the micro organism is well concentrated. The fries can still feed on the plankton in the alpha at the same time we feed them live tilapia larva, the live larva is very high in protein.

The advantages of this system is the constant water coming out from the ground of the pond for regular aerating. Also sorting can be done easily by just raising the alpha net out of the pond and sorting commence. it is also cost effective and economical as we do not need to buy fuel for pumping water.

The only disadvantage is u can only use this practice where you have abundant and swampy land

Our earthen ponds have been tested with a natural 7.2ph so we do not treat the ponds, since they feed on live feed and compound feed they are sure of fast growth.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 5:10am On Nov 17, 2015
larry167show:
@robonski15, ab1x and the house,

i troway Salute, i want to ask ask the house where i can get fish tool and equipment in lagos close to ikotun area like, water treatment test kit, Ph scale, airpump, Bio-filter and others

Thank you

Kingdom aquarium..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 5:10am On Nov 17, 2015
gspace1960:
What quantity..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by gspace1960(m): 5:29am On Nov 17, 2015
robonski15:
What quantity..
150kg sir
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by soft777(m): 6:37am On Nov 17, 2015
MY KEY POINTS OF FISH FARMING ; here i will be explaining each topics and stages of african catfish farming daily topics after topics .you can call it your summarized catfish manual .I will go straight to the point in a way a fresh person going into fish farming can understand the topics will be as follows 1 POND CONSTRUCTION AND PREPARATION 2, STOCKING 3 FEEDING 4 WATER MANAGEMENT 5 TREATMENT 6 HARVESTING 7, SELLING :I personally call it the 7 key points of successful catfish farming ...stay tuned....

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by soft777(m): 7:52am On Nov 17, 2015
left][/left][color=#990000][/color]My 7 KEY POINTS OF CATFISH FARMING 1, POND CONSTRUCTION AND PREPARATION :To construct an earthen pound dig a 3 by 4 feet and check for clay on your assumed land for fish farming . If you find clay ,then good for construction of your earthen pounds , but if u do not find clay please do not use such place for fish farm ,cause clay is needed to retain the water in your pound . If you are using an earthen pond make sure u use an earthen pond that has natural water coming out from under the ground or you have a near by stream , well or borehole close to your pond. For thoese whose farm is close to swampy area there is what we call gushing bore hole, this type of bore hole allows water to come out from the ground without you pumping it.The water continuously come out or gush out by itself without using any energy source to pump it , and this will help you reduce your cost of fuel and generator . The depth of your pound should be between a range of 4 to 6 feet .and it should be gradual sloping from one end to the other to allow easy drainage, and a harvest place should be dug inside the pond mostly at the middle of the pond , after this make sure u construct an inlet and outlet or an overflow pipe and drainage pipe, both should be constructed at the deepest end of the fish pond. The drainage and overflow pipe should be well covered with a tiny mesh screen or net to avoid predators entering your pound through their openings .The overflow pipe help maintain the level of water in your pound while, the drainage pipe helps allow unwanted water out of your pound .Firstly, for earthen ponds drain out all existing water out of the ponds completely . Allow it 1 day or 2 to allow atmospheric oxygen to aerate the soil and give it a good soil texture for your pond. This will allow and encourage the soil not to clodge together, at the same time allow a favorable condition for needed microbal growth in your soil . Then add lime to the dry soil in your pond, please for dry soil do not mix your lime with water just pour it dry on your dry soil , but for earthen ponds with water in it , mix your lime with water and pour it by broadcasting it randomly on the water surface of your pond. Please when liming ensure your nose and mouth are well covered because constant breathing of lime dust is not very good for humans. Benefits of liming .1, it helps correct the acidity of an earthen pond 2, it helps kill predators like frogs tapoads, all trash fish or fish from previous harvest , 3, the lime forces out nutrients from the soil and with combination with fertilization , help for the growth of zooplanktons which automatically becomes natural food for the fish . Cover your pound 24 hours after liming this will enable all unwanted predators time to run out of the saturated limed water . You can cover your pounds in 2 ways. Firstly fence it with wire mesh, round your pounds or with used zincs . Secondly, you can get net and cover your pounds from top to avoid bird predators. After 7 days of limeing you then, FERTILIZE :For fertilization you can use any animal or bird manure ORGANICALLY, or you can buy an inorganic fertilizer N.P.K. 15, 15,15 to lime your pound . For this topic i will elaborate on chicken manure .There are different ways of using chicken manure , 1, get a drum pour your dry chicken manure in it and add fill the drum to half amd stir it properly with a wooden stick , this will allow the wood shaven or saw dust in the chicken manure to flow up so u can easily seperate or remove the wood shaven . Secondly proper stiring allows for easy mixture of the manure and water to form an even water solution and it helps the manure dissolve easyly . Pour the mixture in your pound by broadcast method, round the surface of your pound. Another method is to pour you chicken manure in a sack like cement sack or rice sack and tie it close to the shallow part of the pound, as the water flow from the shallow side to the deep side, it carries the nutrients from the sack round the pound for even distribution. Fertilization helps in the boom of zooplanktons which eventualLy becomes live food for your fish . After 4 days of fertilization your pound is now ready for stocking. But before stocking , make sure u check your water ph to be sure its not too alkaline and also to ensure the acidity have been corrected, and if u have a seci disc you can use it to test for microorganism boom in your water GOOD LUCK

3 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by soft777(m): 8:51am On Nov 17, 2015
CONCRETE POND CONSTRUCTION AND PREPARATION : Concrete pound can be constructed in backyards because of space or farms that have no good clay texture to hold water , to construct a concrete pond get the services of an experience bricklayer who has done a previous job before .I recommend you use a 9 inches block with quantity cement .The pounds should be constructed gradual sloping to allow easy drainage .. Inlet and outlet should be constructed and before plastering the bricklayer should wet the pounds with water just like the way german flouring is done, to make sure the concrete are turgid . Also before plastering a mixture of normal cement ,sharp sand and water proof cement should be done , the mixture should be the same in quantity , as in 1 bag of cement to 1 bag of water proof cement. When u do that your pound will look like the structures julius berger use for doing pavements besides the road .Make sure you tell the bricklayer to sieve the sand again before using for plastering to ensure the plastering work is very smooth to avoid stones or coarse particles because these coarse particles will not make your plastering bind well and if u have any un bind part in your plastering, water can easily sip through and your pound will start to crack and eventually leak . The plastering should be done 2 times . gradual slow drying of the plastering should be allowed by covering the cemented pounds with celopheen or nylon .The nylon should be placed not less than 45 minutes after plastering or else u will have leakage in your pounds in less than 8 month . This will allow it dry slowly and makes the pound stronger, the edges of the pounds should not be sharp ... After construction leave the pound for 10 to 14 days for proper drying then fill the pounds to the top with water add dry grass or any animal manure but i prefare chicken manure , leave it for a week , this will test the strength of your pound and the same time the manure or dry grass will help fertilize the pound .After 1 week drain out the water and use salt water to wash the pound there is no need to use soap ...You can use formaline also . the washing process help you to remove the lime in the cement and neutralises the walls and base of your pounds . For aeration i prefare the pipe constructed some inches above the pounds so as to help aerate at the same time give fresh water as in case of flow through . it can also be used for stagnant method also. After all these you can stock your pounds GOD BLESS ::: Tomorrow watch out for next topic STOCKING . please questions are allowed on any parts u dont understand , i will be glad to answer thank you

4 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by GlorytoGod: 9:35am On Nov 17, 2015
WELL,WELL,WELL, A POINT OF CORRECTION HERE, THAT NET IS NOT CALLED ALPHA BUT HAPA NET! AND I AM SUPRISED LOTS OF PEOPLE HERE STILL DO NOT KNOW HAPA NETS & HOW EASY THE BUSINESS BECOMES USING HAPA NETS,EVEN THOUGH THERE IS A GOOD NUMBER OF FACTORS,PRECAUTIONS &MEASURES TO CONSIDER USING HAPAS.I HAVE BEEN USING THIS METHOD FOR YEARS AND I HAVE BEEN MAKING MY OWN HAPAS MYSELF IT IS,BY FAR,EASIER TO USE & CHEAPER THAN THOSE SOLD IN THE MARKET!! I AM ALSO A KNOWLEDGEABLE AQUACULTURIST BY GOD'S GRACE & I CAN HELP OTHERS A LOT BUT FOR MY BUSY SCHEDULE.DON'T GET ME WRONG I AM NOT MR KNOW ALL BUT GOD HAS HELPED ME A LOT & THAT IS WHY THE NAME OF MY FARM IS GLORY TO GOD INTEGRATED FARM LOCATED IN ILORIN & MY MOTTO IS "THERE IS NO EXPERT BUT GOD" FEEL FREE TO TO EMAIL OR CALL ME ON YOUR NEEDS/ISSUES & TOGETHER WE CAN BE SUCCESSFUL. olaolayanjuone@gmail.com 08079820001

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Boskaii: 10:37am On Nov 17, 2015
Good day great Farmers. Pls. my fishes are 2 months plus and I use tarpaulin tanks but recently i discovered that almost every other day i will wake up to see one or two fishes dead i have treated twice with oxytetracycline & salt in the last two weeks but the situation seems to persist. Please can anyone advise me on what next to do? should i try formalin? Also, can i use ashes in a tarpaulin tank? Thank you all.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by jemjem(f): 10:51am On Nov 17, 2015
Oga soft 77 many thanks for your it's helping people like me who are new in the business
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by atanda2001uk(m): 11:05am On Nov 17, 2015
@ Robonski. I have been trying your phone number but not getting through. pls, where is Kingdom Aquarium located and his phone numbers?

@Lagbaja, pls where did you buy the pump and filter? And, at how much? I have been trying to get one. though I am at Ibadan.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by soft777(m): 11:51am On Nov 17, 2015
jemjem:
Oga soft 77 many thanks for your it's helping people like me who are new in the business
Am glad my write up helps u . if u need any guide .you are free to ask me will be delighted to help ...GOD BLESS
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by soft777(m): 12:02pm On Nov 17, 2015
Boskaii:
Good day great Farmers. Pls. my fishes are 2 months plus and I use tarpaulin tanks but recently i discovered that almost every other day i will wake up to see one or two fishes dead i have treated twice with oxytetracycline & salt in the last two weeks but the situation seems to persist. Please can anyone advise me on what next to do? should i try formalin? Also, can i use ashes in a tarpaulin tank? Thank you all.
Hmmm ok, your fish need serious treatment since the infection has been long , then your tarpaulin itself is infected , get the fish out completely put them in any comfortable tank with some water add anti stress or any good fish multivitamin to them , they sell them 500 naira per sachet , this will help booste there imune system, drain the water out completely from your infected pond , wash the tapaulin with formalin then rinse it and wash it again with salt water , please no soap , put your fish back ,add very little water that just cover there body add some otc and leave them for 2 to 3 hours then gradually increase there water . remember do not feed a day before you do this treatment., let us know how they are doing GOOD LUCK
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by larry167show: 1:06pm On Nov 17, 2015
atanda2001uk:
@ Robonski. I have been trying your phone number but not getting through. pls, where is Kingdom Aquarium located and his phone numbers?

@Lagbaja, pls where did you buy the pump and filter? And, at how much? I have been trying to get one. though I am at Ibadan.

Kingdom Aquarium and Fisheries Limited

103, Egbe Road, Oshodi Isolo, Lagos, Nigeria
08033026184, 08037217791
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Boskaii: 1:19pm On Nov 17, 2015
soft777:
Hmmm ok, your fish need serious treatment since the infection has been long , then your tarpaulin itself is infected , get the fish out completely put them in any comfortable tank with some water add anti stress or any good fish multivitamin to them , they sell them 500 naira per sachet , this will help booste there imune system, drain the water out completely from your infected pond , wash the tapaulin with formalin then rinse it and wash it again with salt water , please no soap , put your fish back ,add very little water that just cover there body add some otc and leave them for 2 to 3 hours then gradually increase there water . remember do not feed a day before you do this treatment., let us know how they are doing GOOD LUCK

Thank you so much i will do just that and get back to you soon. God bless you
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Boskaii: 1:30pm On Nov 17, 2015
soft777:

Please how soon can i commence feeding after the exercise.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by atanda2001uk(m): 2:04pm On Nov 17, 2015
@Larry167show.
Thank you very much my brother. I am highly grateful for the information.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 4:35pm On Nov 17, 2015
Sorted fries this morning and ready to be transported to their new habitat (earthen nursery) for quicker growth.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 4:36pm On Nov 17, 2015
robonski15:
Sorted fries this morning and ready to be transported to their new habitat (earthen nursery) for quicker growth.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 4:38pm On Nov 17, 2015
The fries successfully transported to their new habitat, they will be fed live feed and grow to fingerlings/juvenile.

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by soft777(m): 5:33pm On Nov 17, 2015
Boskaii:

Please how soon can i commence feeding after the exercise.
next day after treatment , so as to give them time to pordge there system before they comence eating also feed them feed mixed with multivatiman for next 3 days to booste there imune system .
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by soft777(m): 5:35pm On Nov 17, 2015
[quote author=robonski15 post=40121406][/quote]The prof robonski , you are on point may God bless your work

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 1:39am On Nov 18, 2015
gspace1960:

150kg sir

Call mrs monsurat on 08183251718..

(1) (2) (3) ... (214) (215) (216) (217) (218) (219) (220) ... (523) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.