Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,050 members, 7,810,904 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:07 PM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (221) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1491637 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (218) (219) (220) (221) (222) (223) (224) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by chilanfarms(m): 10:49pm On Nov 24, 2015
robonski15:
# what is this used for?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by princefrezy: 11:11pm On Nov 24, 2015

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by omoola007(m): 12:22am On Nov 25, 2015
What is the recommended maximum stock for the following size earthen pond, we get natural water from the ground and we also have a borehole to change water every 2 weeks. The pond also have outlet and inlet pipes to maintain constant flow through of water all the time.

I am looking to stock 6,000 per cycle starting with 3,000 each in pond 1 and 2 and then finishing them in Pond 3 and 4. Will these pond be big enough?

Used to raise from fingerling to 2 months the we transfer to pond 1 and 2...

Pond 1 35 feet by 25 feet depth 5 feet - Currently 3,000

Pond 2 13 feet by 27 feet depth 7 feet - Currently 3,000

Used to raise from 2 months to 4.5 months

Pond 3 40 feet by 36 feet depth 7 feet - Currently 3,000

Pond 4 45 feet by 35 feet depth 5 feet - Currently 3,000
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by puffynana(m): 6:33am On Nov 25, 2015
soft777:
MR Puffynana i will give u a write up tomorrow on the best business report ,in a way that you can start making profit in your first 3 to 4 months and how u can shear your ponds to get monthly sales .your profit will be like your salary . It pains me when i see people leave fish farming cause of looses and it gladens my heart to see new people come in. we shall help by GOD grace , guide you, so that u will not regret starting this business . PROF ROBONSKI PLEASE WELCOME OUR NEW COLLEAGUE TO THE BUSINESS
Thanks in advance sir.
I know God is blessing you for ur good work here already. He will bless you more.
Good morning
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Princesam400(m): 8:49am On Nov 25, 2015
sagac10us:

Can i see the pictures of the tank? I called u this morning.........
1,500 litres of fish tank
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by superman007(m): 9:05am On Nov 25, 2015
Good morning gentlemen I recently went into catfish farming, and I have been following your write-ups having read from page 1 till219, I must say this blog has been highly educational. I have 1 tarpaulin ponds 15x15 and 4 12x12 ponds which I have just stocked 4000 post fingerlings into. I am currently constructing a mini hatchery based on designs from Robonskis' and fleur and noorjen design. I am hoping to get all the support from fellow farmers in the house. A special thanks to Robonski, Abx1, soft777, Aquatic 1 and a host of guys on this forum...you guys rock. God bless you all PLENTY, PLENTY.
soft777:
MR Puffynana i will give u a write up tomorrow on the best business report ,in a way that you can start making profit in your first 3 to 4 months and how u can shear your ponds to get monthly sales .your profit will be like your salary . It pains me when i see people leave fish farming cause of looses and it gladens my heart to see new people come in. we shall help by GOD grace , guide you, so that u will not regret starting this business . PROF ROBONSKI PLEASE WELCOME OUR NEW COLLEAGUE TO THE BUSINESS
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Princesam400(m): 9:10am On Nov 25, 2015
sagac10us:

Can i see the pictures of the tank? I called u this morning.........
1,500 litres of fish tank
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Nobody: 1:50pm On Nov 25, 2015
Good afternoon House,

The male broodstock eventually died on day 6 .. when i observed the stitches, the flesh was so soft that it could not not the thread again.. so there was a big opening on the abdomen though some of the cut had healed but the opening exposed the fish internal organ directly to its environment. i will be more careful in my next procedure. but am happy i at least tried that out..

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Teepompey: 2:25pm On Nov 25, 2015
chilanfarms:
# pls include bone meal in the formulation.
Noted. Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by heartbitmi: 2:52pm On Nov 25, 2015
hello guys,

I wish to express my delight and thanks to you all for your support. I came here some few weeks back and complained about my fries dying after day 6, and I embraced the advice gotten on this thread. It will delight you all to know that I hatched again and my fries are approaching the third week!! They are very active, strong and above all I can say my result is 90% successful. (from hatching to wek 3). I estimate they are well over 10,000! (Will upload pix later).

However, I need more clarifications on my hatchery design. I intend to make more hatching vats, and will like inputs from experts on this matter. I currently have 3 wooden vats of 6ft by 3ft. but I’m considering using plastic tanks i.e (white tank or black GP square tank). Please guys which will you advice? And please give reasons. I have seen a couple of guys on this forum using the white tank and I wonder if it won’t be difficult siphoning due to its depth. I await suggestions.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by heartbitmi: 3:54pm On Nov 25, 2015
hello sir, i am also interested in the report.
soft777:
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Teepompey: 6:57pm On Nov 25, 2015
My regards to the bosses and members. Pls, what can be done if broodstocks suddenly stop feeding?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 4:51am On Nov 26, 2015
omoola007:
What is the recommended maximum stock for the following size earthen pond, we get natural water from the ground and we also have a borehole to change water every 2 weeks. The pond also have outlet and inlet pipes to maintain constant flow through of water all the time.

I am looking to stock 6,000 per cycle starting with 3,000 each in pond 1 and 2 and then finishing them in Pond 3 and 4. Will these pond be big enough?

Used to raise from fingerling to 2 months the we transfer to pond 1 and 2...

Pond 1 35 feet by 25 feet depth 5 feet - Currently 3,000

Pond 2 13 feet by 27 feet depth 7 feet - Currently 3,000

Used to raise from 2 months to 4.5 months

Pond 3 40 feet by 36 feet depth 7 feet - Currently 3,000

Pond 4 45 feet by 35 feet depth 5 feet - Currently 3,000

To know the estimated stocking density of an earthen pond we multiply the feet and dept divided by 3 multiply by two (for earthen ponds)

lets use POND 1 as an example 35 feet by 25 feet depth 5 feet.

35x25x5=4375

4375/3=1458

1458 x 2= 2916

on pond 1 you can stock 2916 fishes to maturity..

Use this formular to calculate the rest ponds... Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 4:57am On Nov 26, 2015
superman007:
Good morning gentlemen I recently went into catfish farming, and I have been following your write-ups having read from page 1 till219, I must say this blog has been highly educational. I have 1 tarpaulin ponds 15x15 and 4 12x12 ponds which I have just stocked 4000 post fingerlings into. I am currently constructing a mini hatchery based on designs from Robonskis' and fleur and noorjen design. I am hoping to get all the support from fellow farmers in the house. A special thanks to Robonski, Abx1, soft777, Aquatic 1 and a host of guys on this forum...you guys rock. God bless you all PLENTY, PLENTY.

Hello sir we would love to see some pictures of the hatchery.. God bless
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 5:03am On Nov 26, 2015
heartbitmi:
hello guys,

I wish to express my delight and thanks to you all for your support. I came here some few weeks back and complained about my fries dying after day 6, and I embraced the advice gotten on this thread. It will delight you all to know that I hatched again and my fries are approaching the third week!! They are very active, strong and above all I can say my result is 90% successful. (from hatching to wek 3). I estimate they are well over 10,000! (Will upload pix later).

However, I need more clarifications on my hatchery design. I intend to make more hatching vats, and will like inputs from experts on this matter. I currently have 3 wooden vats of 6ft by 3ft. but I’m considering using plastic tanks i.e (white tank or black GP square tank). Please guys which will you advice? And please give reasons. I have seen a couple of guys on this forum using the white tank and I wonder if it won’t be difficult siphoning due to its depth. I await suggestions.

Good job sir keep it up.. i will advice you use the wooden vats than the plastic tanks.. the wooden vats is easier to manage the fries like siphoning and cleaning.. I also wonder how people manage fries in the white tanks.. Lets see some pictures.. thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 5:07am On Nov 26, 2015
Teepompey:
My regards to the bosses and members. Pls, what can be done if broodstocks suddenly stop feeding?

Is their water clean enough to encourage feeding, cos some peeps leave the brood water for months and has an adverse effect on the long run..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 5:14am On Nov 26, 2015
puffynana:

Yes sir
There is land already. With a stream running behind it.
Plan to use a concrete pond so that I can drain and see my fishes well being regularly as the earthen pond are mostly not transparent
Infact every thing is ready except capital for construction of pond and feeding.
Welcome to the fold sir.. Have you got he plan?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 5:26am On Nov 26, 2015
Newly successfully spawned heterobrancus to produce the hybrids..

Call now to place your orders 07043941307

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by abidecz: 5:35am On Nov 26, 2015
Good morning my ogas in the house I have a mobile pool which I want to use as my pond the size is 15 by15 by 4 boss I want to know the amount of fingerlings it can take till grow out stage thanks sirs

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by puffynana(m): 6:23am On Nov 26, 2015
robonski15:
Welcome to the fold sir.. Have you got he plan?
Nt yet sir Good morning
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by JeRit: 6:30am On Nov 26, 2015
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Teepompey: 12:48pm On Nov 26, 2015
robonski15:

Is their water clean enough to encourage feeding, cos some peeps leave the brood water for months and has an adverse effect on the long run..
Thanks for the prompt response. Their water is clean enough to see the floor of the pond.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by olabakefish: 12:54pm On Nov 26, 2015
This is very helpful. But am a bit confused about skipping a day meal before & after the treatment, does that means they will not eat for 3, 2 or 1 whole day(s). Please elaborate more on that. kiss
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by olabakefish: 1:03pm On Nov 26, 2015
What about concrete pond?
robonski15:

To know the estimated stocking density of an earthen pond we multiply the feet and dept divided by 3 multiply by two (for earthen ponds)

35x25x5=4375

4375/3=1458

1458 x 2= 2916

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by omoola007(m): 2:10pm On Nov 26, 2015
Thanks i need Fingerlings in sagamu second week in December. About 5,000

robonski15:

35x25x5=4375

4375/3=1458

1458 x 2= 2916

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by lamude23: 2:44pm On Nov 26, 2015
robonski15:
Newly successfully spawned heterobrancus to produce the hybrids..

Call now to place your orders 07043941307

Oga Robonski, I called ur manager yesterday to place order of 1500 from Ilorin, he said d quantity is small and can not be supplied even though am ready to share the transport fair as indicated on of ur post. I want if it's d instruction you gave him cos if it is, it's not fair to upcoming farmers who can't afford large quantity, please try correct dt please.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by vickychuk(m): 6:00pm On Nov 26, 2015
pls my ogas in the house can someone kindly explain the concept of feed conversation ratio (FCR)
how is it calculated?
Should we aim for a high or less figure?
Thank YOU.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Daniel759: 6:21pm On Nov 26, 2015
@ Robonski, I have sent you a mail, pls reply. Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 6:46pm On Nov 26, 2015
olabakefish:
What about concrete pond?

For concrete pond multiply by 5.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 6:59pm On Nov 26, 2015
lamude23:

Oga Robonski, I called ur manager yesterday to place order of 1500 from Ilorin, he said d quantity is small and can not be supplied even though am ready to share the transport fair as indicated on of ur post. I want if it's d instruction you gave him cos if it is, it's not fair to upcoming farmers who can't afford large quantity, please try correct dt please.

Hello sir the least we can supply to far distance is 3000 fingerlings/juvenile, we are deeply sorry.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 7:01pm On Nov 26, 2015
Daniel759:
@ Robonski, I have sent you a mail, pls reply. Thanks

Will check sir.. Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 7:02pm On Nov 26, 2015

(1) (2) (3) ... (218) (219) (220) (221) (222) (223) (224) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.