Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,200 members, 7,811,527 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:53 PM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (222) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1491900 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (219) (220) (221) (222) (223) (224) (225) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Annabechick(f): 10:22pm On Nov 26, 2015
Hello house just found out that 1 of my fish has a swollen stomach! And also we found a dead one yesterday but b4 we could bring it out its fellow fish ate it! Please what could be the possible cause for the swollen stomach?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by superman007(m): 6:35am On Nov 27, 2015
OK Rob will do, I will take pix from the initial look till the final result, the site of the hatchery was formerly a pig slaughter that hasn't been used in over 8yrs so am clearing it up and disinfecting, the advantage to me here was the raised slabs so siphoning Fry's will be easy.
robonski15:

Hello sir we would love to see some pictures of the hatchery.. God bless
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by puffynana(m): 9:35am On Nov 27, 2015
soft777:
MR Puffynana i will give u a write up tomorrow on the best business report ,in a way that you can start making profit in your first 3 to 4 months and how u can shear your ponds to get monthly sales .your profit will be like your salary . It pains me when i see people leave fish farming cause of looses and it gladens my heart to see new people come in. we shall help by GOD grace , guide you, so that u will not regret starting this business . PROF ROBONSKI PLEASE WELCOME OUR NEW COLLEAGUE TO THE BUSINESS
Sir soft777 and prof robonski15 please sirs we new intending farmers on here are waiting diligently for the said plan
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by robonski15(m): 5:38pm On Nov 27, 2015
superman007:
OK Rob will do, I will take pix from the initial look till the final result, the site of the hatchery was formerly a pig slaughter that hasn't been used in over 8yrs so am clearing it up and disinfecting, the advantage to me here was the raised slabs so siphoning Fry's will be easy.

That is good sir..
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by soft777(m): 5:45pm On Nov 27, 2015
puffynana:

Sir soft777 and prof robonski15 please sirs we new intending farmers on here are waiting diligently for the said plan
Very sorry was a little busy , tonight i will do the write up for u ,thank you sir
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by puffynana(m): 6:25pm On Nov 27, 2015
soft777:
Very sorry was a little busy , tonight i will do the write up for u ,thank you sir
My oga sir, take your time. It was just a reminder..
Tanks in advance
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by abidecz: 9:33pm On Nov 27, 2015
My ogas how can I work out my small outlet to big one

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by 100Nath: 12:31am On Nov 28, 2015
robonski15:
Its just 14 days to the practical training.. Thanks for all your response.. Preparations has commenced already to give you the best training.. God bless
Hi op i'm a fresh farmer, constructed my ponds already, two big ones. I want to go into fingerlings production. I'm buying post fries for now and nurture dem to fingerlings until i start spawning myself. I need your professional advise on nurturing and marketing. Here is my email address pop9ja2015@gmail.com thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by soft777(m): 9:45am On Nov 28, 2015
A catfish business write up does not really need elaborate or long write up, i will concentrate on the variable cost ,which is the daily or monthly cost of running a catfish farm ,why the fixed cost are like land , ponds and water source either well borehole or stream. For any new fish farmer, i want you to have this in mind for maximum profit, 1, Source of fingerling 2, Cost of quality feed and quantity of feed fed , 3, Water management . If u get this 3 things correct you can never run at a lost by Gods grace, now according to most new comers here, sine you say u already have land, ponds and water . I will say that, try to make sure u do flow through system or if you do not have good irrigation system, then do a regular change of water at maximum 3 days water change ,to ensure wellness and oxygen . Now taking our fixed cost constant , lets concentrate on variable cost . I personally call it the left and right equation which is, cost of production ( CP ) should be lesser than the cost at sales ( CS) this equal to profit ....... CP < CS = PROFIT . Now for a business plan on how you do your cost , I will use a single fish to do this analysis . If u buy a standard fingerling for 15 naira which i know u can get from mr robonski for far less like 8 naira, and your cost of energy which is 25 naira per fish for 4 months , cost of labour or staff which is also 25 naira per fish , cost to feeding fingerling for four months to table size using foreign feed is 130 naira per fish , miscellinious expenses like drugs, transport etc at 25 naira per fish .Remember we are dealing with only your variable cost , so fix cost is not included . With this calculation we will have ONE FINGERLINGS 15 NAIRA ; ENERGY 25NAIRA ; LABOUR 25NAIRA ; FEED 130 NAIRA; MISCELLINIOUS 25 NAIRA = 220 naira total to grow 1 fingerling to table size using foreign or floating feed , so in a good time and area you sell table sizes at 500 naira per kg when u subtract u will have 280 naira per fish .lets say u stock 1000 fingerlings that will be 1000 multiply by 280 naira you get 280 thousand naira profit , but this profit is for 4 months of rearing , so if u want to make it your monthly salary ,then you should have 4 to 5 thanks to harvest 1 each month . But the truth is , to get this profit you have to follow the rearing methods to the later or else you can rear for 6 months without getting 1kg fish . To increase profit , is to increase the number of fish and from the calculation, you can see the feed carries the highest amount , so what you do is to reduce feed cost, is to turn to local feed which may reduce your cost from 130 naira to 90 or 80 naira which depends on your knowledge of feed formulation ,i will guide u on making a gelatin fish feed or locally semi floating feed cheap quality to help you maximize your profit . So for a starter to raise 1 fish ,it cost 220 naira and u want to rear 1000, then u need 220 thousand naira ,considering u have land pond and water source ,this is for a simple normal system .If you are going commercial that is intensive or super intensive then your cost of production will reduce by one quarter .This implies that the larger your fish ,the lower your cost of production because same pond size used for 1000 fish in a simple system can be used to rear 2000 or more in an intensive or super intensive system and your laboure , energy etc remains almost the same .If i did not mention any particular area of your intrest , then u can ask me a direct question on my whatsapp thank you. goodluck.

4 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by soft777(m): 9:48am On Nov 28, 2015
abidecz:
My ogas how can I work out my small outlet to big one
Give a good tapoli maker or tapolin tailors they will open it increase the outlet patch it properly to avoid leak and give a good plumber to construct the pipe work GOD BLESS
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by soft777(m): 10:14am On Nov 28, 2015
Annabechick:
Hello house just found out that 1 of my fish has a swollen stomach! And also we found a dead one yesterday but b4 we could bring it out its fellow fish ate it! Please what could be the possible cause for the swollen stomach?
Please if your fish is already dead it stomach may get swollen due to bacteria and microbal effects naturraly all dead animals swells few days after death ,its called decaying process. But for you to be sure it died of swollen stomach and not something else , take samples of your fishes ,you can easily catch them ,when you are feeding them In case of earthen ponds ,or lower the water in case of concrete ponds . And examin them physically for body abnormalities. If you find abnormalities then treat fast with OTC the way we have recommended before on the tread . If u dont find abnormalities, and your fishes are feeding well it may be caused by other natural or microbal causes .Just do a little preventive method , give your fish a salt and ash bath as described before on topic disease . they will be ok . NOTE please when your fish get dead without you knowing the cause , first thing to do is to remove the dead fish from your pond ,do not allow your other fishes to feed on the dead fish , it might contain a very high concentration of the bacteria, viral or fungai , because these patogenes strives better on a dead fish than a live one, so please dont let your fish feed on them, as i have seen in many fish farm i have visited. Its a very wrong practise . Diagnose the cause of fish death first, before u can be sure ,if it is suitable for fishes to feed on the dead fish or not , Or else it may transfer very active concentrated patogenes to your fishes and the result will be disease outbreak in your ponds and this leads to mass mortality and eventual looses in your business . GOOD BLESS

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by soft777(m): 11:09am On Nov 28, 2015
vickychuk:
pls my ogas in the house can someone kindly explain the concept of feed conversation ratio (FCR)
how is it calculated?
Should we aim for a high or less figure?
Thank YOU.
I have treated this topic FCR before, but for more understanding i will elaborate. FCR is the basics of all animals, poultry and fish farming ,it is used to determine the amount of feed that goes into your animal to determine the amount of tissue or flesh your fish gains , to avoid wasting ,since fish is almost 65 to 70 percent of your total cost of production. Before i calculate , it should be noted that any fish farmer who do no know its feed conversion
ratio is doing the business blindly; sorry for the word but its the truth , because your fcr will help determine how much profit you get at the end of a cycle. TO get optimum result in your profit , you can do a 2 weeks or monthly interval calculation by having a good record of your fish first weight when you stock. Using the method i apply on my farm , i do the 2 weeks interval, lets say i stocked some fingerlings last 2 weeks in my farm, and i weighed 10 fingerlings to give me 50 grams and after 2 weeks i weighed 10 of the fishes and it gave me 100 grams this implies that my fish are now 100 minus 50 = 50 grams , this implies that my fishes have gained extra 50 grams in 2 weeks of feeding , but this is not the fcr but its called the weight gained . The fcr still depends on the amount or quantity of feed , the fishes will eat for the 2 weeks , so if they eat 60 kg that is 4 bag of feed for this 2 weeks interval. It means to calculate fcr you divide the TOTAL FEED FED BY THE TOTAL WEIGHT GAINED, So in this case we divide 60 by 50 to get 1.2 fcr, . If u have a lower fcr then you are doing very good lets say between 1 to 1.8 fcr ok but from 2 and above, you will run at a loss . Determining your fcr early will help you correct your mistakes either your fishes are runts or you are just wasting feed , and eventual loss. TILAPIA FCR =1.6 , CATFISH FCR = 1.2 , PIG FCR =3 , COW FCR =8 and CHIKEN FCR = 2. So if u ask me i will say catfish farming have the lowest fcr of all the animals ,so catfish farming should give more profit . If am a business person, and am asked which farming among all, should i go into. I will defenately choose the one with the lowest fcr . If u have fcr 0.5 then i need to come to your farm and learn , that means your profit is more than 100 percent . But basically a good catfish farm with a mind set of making profit should have fcr between the range of 1 to 1.5 , LITTLE TIPS, I ADVICE STRONGLY TO AERATE YOUR PONDS REGULARLY OR FLOW THROUGH OR CHANGE WATER REGULLARLY ,any of this 3 methods is ok ,cause what forms the tissue in your CATfish is the amino acid .And amino acid contains carbon; oxygen and nitrogen . So you get carbon from feed , nitrogen is free in the atmosphere so if u dont have oxygen concentration in the pond water ,you will not have a complete metabolism , that is why oxygenating is necessary, apart from the fish needs oxygen to breath they also need oxygen to form aminoacid which leads to flesh or tissue formation . GOOD LUCK

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by soft777(m): 11:18am On Nov 28, 2015
Blizzle:
Your write-ups are always very insightful, educating and enlightening.

However I would be happy if u can paragraph future right ups for easy reading. You can put a line-space after every paragraph. That makes long write-ups easier to read on all devices.

Thanks a lot for ur effort at schooling we newbies to profitable aquaculture.

Thank you sir for your complements and also I am realy sorry if my write ups have some little difficulty in reading ,this is because most of my write up are done on my phone and some features like paragraph etc are not really available. Just try harder to understand; sorry again.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by soft777(m): 11:35am On Nov 28, 2015
DUE TO EXPANSION IN OUR REPUTABLE FARM WE ARE LOOKING FOR ANY BODY WITH GOOD KNOWLEDGE IN ANY OF THE FOLLOWING LIVESTOCK , PIGS , POULTRY, VEGETABLE TOMATOES AND PEPPER FARMING SHOULD PLEASE CONTACT ME VIA WHATSAPP ON 0033758786306 OR CALL FARM MANAGER ON 07042660868 FOR IMMEDIATE EMPLOYMENT !!!!!!!!
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fhemmmy: 12:50pm On Nov 28, 2015
soft777:
A catfish business write up does not really need elaborate or long write up, i will concentrate on the variable cost ,which is the daily or monthly cost of running a catfish farm ,why the fixed cost are like land , ponds and water source either well borehole or stream. For any new fish farmer, i want you to have this in mind for maximum profit, 1, Source of fingerling 2, Cost of quality feed and quantity of feed fed , 3, Water management . If u get this 3 things correct you can never run at a lost by Gods grace, now according to most new comers here, sine you say u already have land, ponds and water . I will say that, try to make sure u do flow through system or if you do not have good irrigation system, then do a regular change of water at maximum 3 days water change ,to ensure wellness and oxygen . Now taking our fixed cost constant , lets concentrate on variable cost . I personally call it the left and right equation which is, cost of production ( CP ) should be lesser than the cost at sales ( CS) this equal to profit ....... CP < CS = PROFIT . Now for a business plan on how you do your cost , I will use a single fish to do this analysis . If u buy a standard fingerling for 15 naira which i know u can get from mr robonski for far less like 8 naira, and your cost of energy which is 25 naira per fish for 4 months , cost of labour or staff which is also 25 naira per fish , cost to feeding fingerling for four months to table size using foreign feed is 130 naira per fish , miscellinious expenses like drugs, transport etc at 25 naira per fish .Remember we are dealing with only your variable cost , so fix cost is not included . With this calculation we will have ONE FINGERLINGS 15 NAIRA ; ENERGY 25NAIRA ; LABOUR 25NAIRA ; FEED 130 NAIRA; MISCELLINIOUS 25 NAIRA = 220 naira total to grow 1 fingerling to table size using foreign or floating feed , so in a good time and area you sell table sizes at 500 naira per kg when u subtract u will have 280 naira per fish .lets say u stock 1000 fingerlings that will be 1000 multiply by 280 naira you get 280 thousand naira profit , but this profit is for 4 months of rearing , so if u want to make it your monthly salary ,then you should have 4 to 5 thanks to harvest 1 each month . But the truth is , to get this profit you have to follow the rearing methods to the later or else you can rear for 6 months without getting 1kg fish . To increase profit , is to increase the number of fish and from the calculation, you can see the feed carries the highest amount , so what you do is to reduce feed cost, is to turn to local feed which may reduce your cost from 130 naira to 90 or 80 naira which depends on your knowledge of feed formulation ,i will guide u on making a gelatin fish feed or locally semi floating feed cheap quality to help you maximize your profit . So for a starter to raise 1 fish ,it cost 220 naira and u want to rear 1000, then u need 220 thousand naira ,considering u have land pond and water source ,this is for a simple normal system .If you are going commercial that is intensive or super intensive then your cost of production will reduce by one quarter .This implies that the larger your fish ,the lower your cost of production because same pond size used for 1000 fish in a simple system can be used to rear 2000 or more in an intensive or super intensive system and your laboure , energy etc remains almost the same .If i did not mention any particular area of your intrest , then u can ask me a direct question on my whatsapp thank you. goodluck.

Thanks for sharing your experience. ...... this looks good on paper but could you tell us about yiur last cycle in detail using the above and please be open with the house that you actually made 280 Naira per your fish in the cycle?

Please note I am not worthy to challenge you sir, so dont see this as a challenge but instead wanna learn from practical farmer, too many internet fish farmers with "too good to be true" numbers and that has made many people make so much mistakes and even lost their life savings. ......

But yiu sounded like you know your onions and would love you to share your experience of one or 2 of your cycle with us.

Thanks in anticipation to reading from man of your caliber sir.

Your humble novice

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by bily(m): 1:28pm On Nov 28, 2015
soft777:

Nice write up with priceless info.
a quick questions.. .

. How did you come about N130 for feeding 1 fish especially since you mentioned using IMPORTED FLOATING FEED.

Let's even assume there's the possibility of buying a good imported floating feed @ N5000 for 15kg bag. That already translates to N333 per kg of feed.

In your 2nd write up about fcr, you mentioned for catfish fcr of 1.2 is the average value.

Now let's assume it's possible to get fcr of 1.0 which means 1kg of feed will grow a one fingerling to 1kg table size. From above calculation that's N333 to grow one fingerlings to 1kg.

So your N130 using floating imported feed to feed one fingerling to 1kg is not really clear, kindly educate me, seems I'm missing something.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by soft777(m): 3:14pm On Nov 28, 2015
Fhemmmy:

Thanks for sharing your experience. ...... this looks good on paper but could you tell us about yiur last cycle in detail using the above and please be open with the house that you actually made 280 Naira per your fish in the cycle?

Please note I am not worthy to challenge you sir, so dont see this as a challenge but instead wanna learn from practical farmer, too many internet fish farmers with "too good to be true" numbers and that has made many people make so much mistakes and even lost their life savings. ......

But yiu sounded like you know your onions and would love you to share your experience of one or 2 of your cycle with us.

Thanks in anticipation to reading from man of your caliber sir.

Your humble novice
Good question this explanation can take me 2 days infact its a complete book to explain ,thats why i particularly told the new farmers who need my guide to contact me via whats app . rather than i would like you to also enlighten me or the house on your own method and i will point out were u went wrong or right . My write up are based on my farm experiences and method .and mind you am not an internet farmer , if u want a practical guide you can make an arrangement to visit my farm .
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fhemmmy: 7:29pm On Nov 28, 2015
soft777:
Good question this explanation can take me 2 days infact its a complete book to explain ,thats why i particularly told the new farmers who need my guide to contact me via whats app . rather than i would like you to also enlighten me or the house on your own method and i will point out were u went wrong or right . My write up are based on my farm experiences and method .and mind you am not an internet farmer , if u want a practical guide you can make an arrangement to visit my farm .

My chairman, I will be an ingrate to call man of your calibre and iroko an internet farmer, I have never seen you before but you surely sound like an experienced.farmer and I believe you but I just wanna learn from you sir.
Where is your farm and the capacity?
Also, are you able to attain that kinda result at all times of your stocking?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by puffynana(m): 8:05pm On Nov 28, 2015
soft777:

Thanks sir for the business report. As u mentioned I av just one more question. How do you measure the amount of feed you give to fishes. I believe that there should be recommended gram for one fish or any other measurements. Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by soft777(m): 8:52pm On Nov 28, 2015
bily:

Nice write up with priceless info.
a quick questions.. .

. How did you come about N130 for feeding 1 fish especially since you mentioned using IMPORTED FLOATING FEED.

Let's even assume there's the possibility of buying a good imported floating feed @ N5000 for 15kg bag. That already translates to N333 per kg of feed.

In your 2nd write up about fcr, you mentioned for catfish fcr of 1.2 is the average value.

Now let's assume it's possible to get fcr of 1.0 which means 1kg of feed will grow a one fingerling to 1kg table size. From above calculation that's N333 to grow one fingerlings to 1kg.

So your N130 using floating imported feed to feed one fingerling to 1kg is not really clear, kindly educate me, seems I'm missing something.
Very intelligent question , from your calculation you did a mathematical simultaneous equation to get 5000 divide by 15kg to get 333 naira . In the mathematical world you are very correct, but in fish, livestock and poultry , it is not calculated that way .Your calculations are based on optimal feed consumption and growth but in reality the growth rate of fish is not constant, so using a simultaneous equation to calculate live fish , can never be feasible , Growth rate is never constant .In the determination of how much feed, a fish will eat for 4 months , all variables are never constant, because its not the same amount of feed, that 1000 fingerlings will eat, that 1000 juvenile will also eat .This implies that as fish grows its feed more and its fcr increases . So instead of using simultaneous equation, you should use an inversely proportional method to do your calculation. But i will use a simpler method to do this calculation so that others can understand better . Now we have what we call GROWTH RATE and BODY WEIGHT , these are variables as fish grows . Using the growth rate chart , cart fish have lowest fcr at younger age than when they are grown . This means that, they eat less to grow more at younger age, if u have seen the growth rate chart, u will observe a very fast rise in the graph , and as the fish grows more than jumbo size , you still continue to see an increase , till it gets to optimal point at 4 months , like your calculations it starts to drop . This implies that if u dont sell at optimum point , you will start to run at a lost, that is the reason why many fish farmers run at a lost, they sell at wrong time and the fish consumes all there profit as feed .If u dont know your optimum point you can be feeding your fish ,and they will just consume the feed without adding any significant weight gain . This is the secret of catfish farming business . Many people go into catfish hatchery because at small stage or lower age , catfish fcr is very low , so hatcheries tend to make better profit than grow out , but the technicality of hatchery management is more risky , because if u dont know it , you can run at a very big loss in a very short time .This is one of the reasons fish farmers, prefare grow out farming because of less technique and less risk . Now for feed , most of my write up are based on cost reduction but quality feed . i in particular i cartegorise both nigerian made floating feed and the exported feed as foreign because ,most imported feed are so high not because of the feed have much better quality but because of the fall in nigerian currency in the world market . Please note, am not trying to spoil any feed sellers business here . I cant buy a floating feed for more than 4k , i dont mind buying the nigerian made , even if the fish smell in the nigerian made is not as strong as the imported type . What is important is the balance nutrients in the feed , and a little secret is adding or mixing fish oil with the nigerian feed . Fish oil cost about 60 naira per liter .The oil gives the feed a stronger fish smell and it also serves as an attractant to your fish. when you try it ,You will discover how aggresively your fish will feed ,when they smell the fish oil . My calculation are based on cheapest floating feed , 4000 naira , now for our simple calculations . In fish farming we have different stages , fingerlings, juveniles, mellange and table size , at these stages their feed quantity or amount feed differs . So to get our optimal point using my feed amount and quantity , i buy 15kg feed for 4000 naira this means, with a good fcr i will be having 4000 divide by 15 that will give me 266 naira, at a good fcr. Now for first stage fingerlings, u feed one quarter of the body weight this implies 266 divid by 4 this gives 66 naira at fingerlings stage, at juvenile/ JUMBO STAGE you feed one third body weight this implies that 266 divide 3 u get 88 naira , then at melange u feed half body weight this implies that 266 divide by 2 u get 133 naira and at last stage grow out ,u feed optimal fcr which is 266 naira... You can see at each stages, as they grow the amount of money spent increases , so to get the average, u add all the 4 amounts divide by 4 you will get 66 plus 88 plus 133 plu 266 u get total 553 naira . then divide by 4 to get your average amount spend per fish this will sum to 553 divide 4 and you will get 138 naira. Now it dosent end there , i said 130 naira . You should know for example when you stock 1000 fishes , lets say they eat 1 bag in 3 days, and so when u stock 2000 fishes to a lay man, he will say they will eat 2 bags in 3 days ,but its wrong . calculation in fish is not just ordinary mathematics . You have to remove or subtract one quarter in every additional stock ,that is why, in mellange fish farming, when u stock at high density u make more profit , than stocking at normal density. This is the advantages of high super intensive capacity farm . We have many such farms in Nigeria , i dont want to mention names . In my farm, if i tell u i feed locally made feed through out a cycle ,and i get far better results than any foreign feed using super intensive system to get maximum profit. MY profits are far higher than the 280 i calculated ,i know many people will say how come , but we will leave that for another day.So going back to our calculations , if we remove three quarter as we increase stock , the calculated 138 will be 130. but these calculations varies from farms to farms and it also depends on management and system adopted . i hope this cleriffy your doubt , GODBLESS
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by soft777(m): 9:26pm On Nov 28, 2015
Fhemmmy:

My chairman, I will be an ingrate to call man of your calibre and iroko an internet farmer, I have never seen you before but you surely sound like an experienced.farmer and I believe you but I just wanna learn from you sir.
Where is your farm and the capacity?
Also, are you able to attain that kinda result at all times of your stocking?
Very sorry if i sounded a little bit upset accept my apology . You see GOD is the author of everything , we only try our best to distribute the little knowledge we have at no extra cost for everyone to benefit .When i guide new farmers i always guide them on new mordern and cheap practices, those that contact me via whatsapp can testify to great increase on there farms output, , you see , many farmers makes a lot of mistakes, though they realise profit but ,my write up is to give them tips to increase there profits , i give my consultancy for free even on my whats app . But there are a lot of factors we just joke about in the business , things we just say it dosent really matter ; but my brother it matters greatly. let me put some things to you . DO YOU KNOW ONLY TEMPERATURE CHANGE CAN AFFECT YOUR FCR .. what are the best temperature to attain best fcr ? What ph is best ? what time of feeding is best ? what best water qualit? what best suplimentary feed ? what local cheap feed with higher crude protein ? what best environmental requirements . like shading your fish , do u know catfish grows faster when confined in a dark environment ? How do u determin your fingerlings are got from broods weighing 2kg and above ? . i can name a lot more ... thats why sometimes visiting a high capacity farm can help explain these things better , but am not here to scare people; but i want you to know even at your backyard you can have high capacity . Its just talking to the right consultant to put u through , less i forget do u know , polyculture of catfish and tilapia is no longer in vogue , it has just been determine that african catfish are not good predators and tend to burn there energy needed to convert feed to flesh in runing after tilapia fries in a polyculture system . these are latest discovries . There are better and best ways u can feed your tillapia fries or fingerlings to your catfish without additional cost , and this can save your feed tremendously because with this new and simple process , you can skip a day feed of the more costly pellet feed in that you feed tilapia fries today at no cost and you feed your foreign feed the next day . Calculate how much your profit will increase , when u have to cut your total feed fed by half. In the fish world there are latest and cheap modification for profit maximization .. we can not complete all in just one write up . its wider than that. THANK YOU
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by soft777(m): 9:40pm On Nov 28, 2015
puffynana:

Thanks sir for the business report. As u mentioned I av just one more question. How do you measure the amount of feed you give to fishes. I believe that there should be recommended gram for one fish or any other measurements. Thanks
i have included answer to your question in the write up above , as i said earlier books may write something different and farmers may get better results with something different . It differs from farms to farms , my analysis up there are based on my system and my farm. u know there are different factors that may determine fish response to feed, like if the weather is too hot , fishes tend to feed less, water quality a lot more factors so they grow lesser : Other people feed there fish till they start to reject it, but my calculations i wrote up there, is what i use in my farm and it works well for me.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Fhemmmy: 9:47pm On Nov 28, 2015
soft777:
Very sorry if i sounded a little bit upset accept my apology . You see GOD is the author of everything , we only try our best to distribute the little knowledge we have at no extra cost for everyone to benefit .When i guide new farmers i always guide them on new mordern and cheap practices, those that contact me via whatsapp can testify to great increase on there farms output, , you see , many farmers makes a lot of mistakes, though they realise profit but ,my write up is to give them tips to increase there profits , i give my consultancy for free even on my whats app . But there are a lot of factors we just joke about in the business , things we just say it dosent really matter ; but my brother it matters greatly. let me put some things to you . DO YOU KNOW ONLY TEMPERATURE CHANGE CAN AFFECT YOUR FCR .. what are the best temperature to attain best fcr ? What ph is best ? what time of feeding is best ? what best water qualit? what best suplimentary feed ? what local cheap feed with higher crude protein ? what best environmental requirements . like shading your fish , do u know catfish grows faster when confined in a dark environment ? How do u determin your fingerlings are got from broods weighing 2kg and above ? . i can name a lot more ... thats why sometimes visiting a high capacity farm can help explain these things better , but am not here to scare people; but i want you to know even at your backyard you can have high capacity . Its just talking to the right consultant to put u through , less i forget do u know , polyculture of catfish and tilapia is no longer in vogue , it has just been determine that african catfish are not good predators and tend to burn there energy needed to convert feed to flesh in runing after tilapia fries in a polyculture system . these are latest discovries . There are better and best ways u can feed your tillapia fries or fingerlings to your catfish without additional cost , and this can save your feed tremendously because with this new and simple process , you can skip a day feed of the more costly pellet feed in that you feed tilapia fries today at no cost and you feed your foreign feed the next day . Calculate how much your profit will increase , when u have to cut your total feed fed by half. In the fish world there are latest and cheap modification for profit maximization .. we can not complete all in just one write up . its wider than that. THANK YOU

Who born monkey to get upset with banana, chairman, nothing for you to apologize for and i should apologize too if i came across somehow, i just wanna learn sir, because i am just a novice . . . but thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by bily(m): 9:49pm On Nov 28, 2015
soft777:
Very intelligent question , from your calculation you did a mathematical simultaneous equation to get 5000 divide by 15kg to get 333 naira . In the mathematical world you are very correct, but in fish, livestock and poultry , it is not calculated that way .Your calculations are based on optimal feed consumption and growth but in reality the growth rate of fish is not constant, so using a simultaneous equation to calculate live fish , can never be feasible , Growth rate is never constant .In the determination of how much feed, a fish will eat for 4 months , all variables are never constant, because its not the same amount of feed, that 1000 fingerlings will eat, that 1000 juvenile will also eat .This implies that as fish grows its feed more and its fcr increases . So instead of using simultaneous equation, you should use an inversely proportional method to do your calculation. But i will use a simpler method to do this calculation so that others can understand better . Now we have what we call GROWTH RATE and BODY WEIGHT , these are variables as fish grows . Using the growth rate chart , cart fish have lowest fcr at younger age than when they are grown . This means that, they eat less to grow more at younger age, if u have seen the growth rate chart, u will observe a very fast rise in the graph , and as the fish grows more than jumbo size , you still continue to see an increase , till it gets to optimal point at 4 months , like your calculations it starts to drop . This implies that if u dont sell at optimum point , you will start to run at a lost, that is the reason why many fish farmers run at a lost, they sell at wrong time and the fish consumes all there profit as feed .If u dont know your optimum point you can be feeding your fish ,and they will just consume the feed without adding any significant weight gain . This is the secret of catfish farming business . Many people go into catfish hatchery because at small stage or lower age , catfish fcr is very low , so hatcheries tend to make better profit than grow out , but the technicality of hatchery management is more risky , because if u dont know it , you can run at a very big loss in a very short time .This is one of the reasons fish farmers, prefare grow out farming because of less technique and less risk . Now for feed , most of my write up are based on cost reduction but quality feed . i in particular i cartegorise both nigerian made floating feed and the exported feed as foreign because ,most imported feed are so high not because of the feed have much better quality but because of the fall in nigerian currency in the world market . Please note, am not trying to spoil any feed sellers business here . I cant buy a floating feed for more than 4k , i dont mind buying the nigerian made , even if the fish smell in the nigerian made is not as strong as the imported type . What is important is the balance nutrients in the feed , and a little secret is adding or mixing fish oil with the nigerian feed . Fish oil cost about 60 naira per liter .The oil gives the feed a stronger fish smell and it also serves as an attractant to your fish. when you try it ,You will discover how aggresively your fish will feed ,when they smell the fish oil . My calculation are based on cheapest floating feed , 4000 naira , now for our simple calculations . In fish farming we have different stages , fingerlings, juveniles, mellange and table size , at these stages their feed quantity or amount feed differs . So to get our optimal point using my feed amount and quantity , i buy 15kg feed for 4000 naira this means, with a good fcr i will be having 4000 divide by 15 that will give me 266 naira, at a good fcr. Now for first stage fingerlings, u feed one quarter of the body weight this implies 266 divid by 4 this gives 66 naira at fingerlings stage, at juvenile/ JUMBO STAGE you feed one third body weight this implies that 266 divide 3 u get 88 naira , then at melange u feed half body weight this implies that 266 divide by 2 u get 133 naira and at last stage grow out ,u feed optimal fcr which is 266 naira... You can see at each stages, as they grow the amount of money spent increases , so to get the average, u add all the 4 amounts divide by 4 you will get 66 plus 88 plus 133 plu 266 u get total 553 naira . then divide by 4 to get your average amount spend per fish this will sum to 553 divide 4 and you will get 138 naira. Now it dosent end there , i said 130 naira . You should know for example when you stock 1000 fishes , lets say they eat 1 bag in 3 days, and so when u stock 2000 fishes to a lay man, he will say they will eat 2 bags in 3 days ,but its wrong . calculation in fish is not just ordinary mathematics . You have to remove or subtract one quarter in every additional stock ,that is why, in mellange fish farming, when u stock at high density u make more profit , than stocking at normal density. This is the advantages of high super intensive capacity farm . We have many such farms in Nigeria , i dont want to mention names . In my farm, if i tell u i feed locally made feed through out a cycle ,and i get far better results than any foreign feed using super intensive system to get maximum profit. MY profits are far higher than the 280 i calculated ,i know many people will say how come , but we will leave that for another day.So going back to our calculations , if we remove three quarter as we increase stock , the calculated 138 will be 130. but these calculations varies from farms to farms and it also depends on management and system adopted . i hope this cleriffy your doubt , GODBLESS

You know you and I, our disciplines, we love calculations grin tongue wink

Nice info, Thumbs up!
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by oweniwe(m): 10:03pm On Nov 28, 2015
Annabechick:

i saw this on page 88

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by ummulakram: 11:20am On Aug 14, 2014
Pls house I need ur help my fish r not eating well for almost 1wk now I av try giving them multi vitamins n even change there water every day but still they r not.And u notice one of them d stomach is big.

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Belexy(m): 12:45pm On Aug 14, 2014

most likely more dan one has swollen stomach. Starve dem while u treat wt salt and NCO for abt 3 days

NCO is a combination of three antibiotics (Neomycin, Chloramphenicol and Oxytetracycline). Alternatively, you can use tetracycline (may be prepared as oxytetracycline) because it another broad spectrum antibiotic.

And i saw this online,,,

The fact that there is still nitrite in the tank worries me. Any trace of nitrites is toxic to fish, and water changes should be taken out frequently in order to keep them in check.

I do have a feeling that your fish may have fallen ill because the tank probably hasn't cycled properly yet; however, I know that nearly all Synodontis catfish (your Upside-down catfish included) can eat so much food to such a point where they appear to have swallowed a golf ball.

Don't feed the tank for a while (this will also help with the nitrites), and see if the swelling goes down. You may just find that he's eaten a little too much.

http://forum.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/showthread.php?t=46073

hope my reply is not too late

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by infotainment(m): 10:11pm On Nov 28, 2015
soft777:
pls where is ur farm and can I get ur fone no
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by donnaheff: 5:52am On Nov 29, 2015
soft777:
Good day sir, please can you share the gelatin-based semi floating feed formula. Thanks
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by heartbitmi: 2:35pm On Nov 29, 2015
@soft777. thank you very much for ur reports and time. but honestly i think if we can achieve feeding a fish to 1kg with N130 as u have said, then we will be smiling to the bank always. please kindly share the formula for the feed u use so we can learn. at least the popular feed formula given by ablx is not in any way cheap. we need this...regards
soft777:
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by heartbitmi: 2:47pm On Nov 29, 2015
and please u also mentioned fish oil, where can it be obtained? and please kindly provide details of ur farm and phone number. regards
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by vickychuk(m): 9:47pm On Nov 29, 2015
soft777:
I have treated this topic FCR before, but for more understanding i will elaborate. FCR is the basics of all animals, poultry and fish farming ,it is used to determine the amount of feed that goes into your animal to determine the amount of tissue or flesh your fish gains , to avoid wasting ,since fish is almost 65 to 70 percent of your total cost of production. Before i calculate , it should be noted that any fish farmer who do no know its feed conversion
ratio is doing the business blindly; sorry for the word but its the truth , because your fcr will help determine how much profit you get at the end of a cycle. TO get optimum result in your profit , you can do a 2 weeks or monthly interval calculation by having a good record of your fish first weight when you stock. Using the method i apply on my farm , i do the 2 weeks interval, lets say i stocked some fingerlings last 2 weeks in my farm, and i weighed 10 fingerlings to give me 50 grams and after 2 weeks i weighed 10 of the fishes and it gave me 100 grams this implies that my fish are now 100 minus 50 = 50 grams , this implies that my fishes have gained extra 50 grams in 2 weeks of feeding , but this is not the fcr but its called the weight gained . The fcr still depends on the amount or quantity of feed , the fishes will eat for the 2 weeks , so if they eat 60 kg that is 4 bag of feed for this 2 weeks interval. It means to calculate fcr you divide the TOTAL FEED FED BY THE TOTAL WEIGHT GAINED, So in this case we divide 60 by 50 to get 1.2 fcr, . If u have a lower fcr then you are doing very good lets say between 1 to 1.8 fcr ok but from 2 and above, you will run at a loss . Determining your fcr early will help you correct your mistakes either your fishes are runts or you are just wasting feed , and eventual loss. TILAPIA FCR =1.6 , CATFISH FCR = 1.2 , PIG FCR =3 , COW FCR =8 and CHIKEN FCR = 2. So if u ask me i will say catfish farming have the lowest fcr of all the animals ,so catfish farming should give more profit . If am a business person, and am asked which farming among all, should i go into. I will defenately choose the one with the lowest fcr . If u have fcr 0.5 then i need to come to your farm and learn , that means your profit is more than 100 percent . But basically a good catfish farm with a mind set of making profit should have fcr between the range of 1 to 1.5 , LITTLE TIPS, I ADVICE STRONGLY TO AERATE YOUR PONDS REGULARLY OR FLOW THROUGH OR CHANGE WATER REGULLARLY ,any of this 3 methods is ok ,cause what forms the tissue in your CATfish is the amino acid .And amino acid contains carbon; oxygen and nitrogen . So you get carbon from feed , nitrogen is free in the atmosphere so if u dont have oxygen concentration in the pond water ,you will not have a complete metabolism , that is why oxygenating is necessary, apart from the fish needs oxygen to breath they also need oxygen to form aminoacid which leads to flesh or tissue formation . GOOD LUCK

Thanks Sir for the Insight.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by kengeorge: 7:06am On Nov 30, 2015
heartbitmi:
@soft777. thank you very much for ur reports and time. but honestly i think if we can achieve feeding a fish to 1kg with N130 as u have said, then we will be smiling to the bank always. please kindly share the formula for the feed u use so we can learn. at least the popular feed formula given by ablx is not in any way cheap. we need this...regards

Please @soft777 were can I get fish oil to buy in Lagos?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by kengeorge: 7:19am On Nov 30, 2015
soft777:

Please @soft777 were can I get fish oil to buy in Lagos?

(1) (2) (3) ... (219) (220) (221) (222) (223) (224) (225) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 215
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.