Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,522 members, 7,812,630 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:28 PM

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! - Agriculture (367) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! (1492350 Views)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Hatchery Business !!! / Hidden Truths About Plantain Farming Business / Catfish Farmers Lets Talk About Catfish Smoking (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (364) (365) (366) (367) (368) (369) (370) ... (523) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 1:48pm On Mar 01, 2017
micgray100:

BROS... THANKS FOR YOUR CALL AND ADVICE ON THE MY 3MM VITAL FEED AVAILABILITY PROBLEM... REALLY APPRECIATED..

ON THIS ISSUE OF CEMENT... I AM CONFUSED AGAIN O..

I AM AN ENGINEER BY PROFESSION. A REGISTERED ENGINEER WITH NSE AND COREN..

I READ ON THIS THREAD WHERE SOMEONE SAID ALL CONCRETE / BLOCK PONDS MUST BE FERTILIZE BEFORE STOCKING WITH FINGERLINS..

MY THOUGHT WAS THAT THE FERTILIZATION MEANT WAS TO REDUCE THE CEMENT CONTENT IN ANY CONCRETE / BLOCK POND...

NOW USING SAME CEMENT TO FERTILIZE AGAIN IS MAKING ME CONFUSED..

MR EXCELFARM... THIS IS NEW I MUST SAY... COS I HAVE NEVER HEARD OGA ROBONSKI MENTION ANYWHERE IN THIS TREAD THAT ORDINARY PORTLAND CEMENT CAN BE USE TO FERTILIZE ANY FORM OF POND...

Sir, treatment of pond and fertilization of pond are two different things but closely related while the former is meant to treat the pond of diseases, the later introduces micro organism that the fish feed on.

This bring about another controversial issue about FERTILISATION and my question is how do you separate harmful micro organism from the beneficial ones?
Yes you could achieve a head start compare to who does not fertilise his pond but you risk a higher outbreak of disease because what it takes is just a trigger caused by stress and there would be an outbreak of disease.
To me the odds are much on the side of fertilised pond
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 3:18pm On Mar 01, 2017
micgray100:

BROS... THANKS FOR YOUR CALL AND ADVICE ON THE MY 3MM VITAL FEED AVAILABILITY PROBLEM... REALLY APPRECIATED..

ON THIS ISSUE OF CEMENT... I AM CONFUSED AGAIN O..

I AM AN ENGINEER BY PROFESSION. A REGISTERED ENGINEER WITH NSE AND COREN..

I READ ON THIS THREAD WHERE SOMEONE SAID ALL CONCRETE / BLOCK PONDS MUST BE FERTILIZE BEFORE STOCKING WITH FINGERLINS..

MY THOUGHT WAS THAT THE FERTILIZATION MEANT WAS TO REDUCE THE CEMENT CONTENT IN ANY CONCRETE / BLOCK POND...

NOW USING SAME CEMENT TO FERTILIZE AGAIN IS MAKING ME CONFUSED..

MR EXCELFARM... THIS IS NEW I MUST SAY... COS I HAVE NEVER HEARD OGA ROBONSKI MENTION ANYWHERE IN THIS TREAD THAT ORDINARY PORTLAND CEMENT CAN BE USE TO FERTILIZE ANY FORM OF POND...
i am an agronomist & a teacher,i would attend to the issue at hand,but if you ever had seen my posts i ask many questions, then if you are the recipient,you proof it,thats how people learn, thats how i joined the thread, so bro no vex
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by PoWConsulting: 3:24pm On Mar 01, 2017
THE BIGGEST AGRIBUSINESS PROMO IN NIGERIA IS HERE!!! PLEASE DON’T MISS THIS GREAT OPPORTUNITY!!!

This is for the Youths, Employed, Unemployed, Underemployed, Civil servants, Artisans and ALL NIGERIANS. Pay-Less-Get-More...

Get 5 IN 1 Business Manuals at the Cheapest and Affordable Price Ever!!!

1. Cosmetics and Soap Production (35 Products): How to produce… BLACK Soap (Liquid and Bar), Detergent Powder, Solid detergent, Liquid Soap, Toilet Soap, Medicated Soap, Laundry Soap, Car Wash Soap, Toilet Cleanser, Disinfectant (Izal), Antiseptic (Dettol), Anti-dandroff shampoo, Moisturizing Body Cream, Hair Cream, Hair Conditioner, Face Talcum Powder, Aftershave, Perfume, Relaxer, Styling Gels, Air fresher, Vaseline, Robb, Bleach, Methylated spirit, Toilet roll, Cold water starch etc.

2. Bakery, Pasties and Confectioneries (28 Products): How to produce…Plain/white Bread, Brown bread, Whole-wheat bread, Cassava bread, Coconut bread, Rich bread, Milk bread, Banana nut bread, Carrot Cake bread, Date nut Mini-loaf, Chocolate Cake, Queens cake, Meat pie, Doughnut, Chelsea Buns, Egg Buns, Sausage roll, Scotch egg, Chin chin, Soya Chin Chin, Puff Puff, Soya Puff Puff, Burger, Biscuit cookies, Yam croquettes, Chicken Salad, Ice cream, Yoghurt, Lolly pop, Peanut etc.

3. Fruit Juice and Drink Production, Preservation and Packaging: How to produce, preserve and Package Orange Juice, Pineapple Juice, Zobo Drink and Palm wine Drink

4. Edible Mushroom Cultivation, Preservation and Packaging: The process technology for cultivating, harvesting, Processing and Packaging Edible Mushrooms. A great, Unique and Profitable Agribusiness

5. Vegetable farming: How to cultivate Ugwu leaf, Water leaf, Bitter leaf, Ewedu leaf and Shoko leaf, with additional information on Dwarf pawpaw farming and Improved Cucumber farming

These manuals contain information on the best production practice, best process technology from foremost research Institutes in Nigeria. It also contains practical photos of the processes, procedures, equipments and machineries, and source of these inputs (ingredients, chemicals, equipments etc) in Nigeria.

This is the Biggest Agribusiness Promo Ever in Nigeria. Get Quality Start-Up Information on these Small Scale Agribusinesses. Become your Own Boss Today! Become Self Employed!!!

Buy it, Use it, Give to your Family and Friends, tell a friend to tell a friend about this. Let us all make good wealth!

This promo is valid until March 15th 2017. The first 20 people to purchase this manual will get an additional manual for FREE!!!

Make sure you are on any of these social media platforms (Email and WhatsApp). The manual is an Ebook. Drop your mobile numbers here!!!

How much is this FIVE-IN-ONE Manual Contact our Agribusiness Investment Analyst on +2347039664655 for more information

WhatsApp: +2347039664655

Visit our Facebook page at Pillars of Wealth Consulting Limited for more agribusiness investment opportunities
Email: pillarsofwealthconsulting@gmail.com
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 3:38pm On Mar 01, 2017
Ttalk:
NEW DISCOVERY:
It is a general standard that pond should be treated before stocking in other to kill the pathogen and bacterials in the pond, failure of which could result in high mortality.
The use of formalin, industrial lime and other chemicals become necessary but at a cost.
This is to inform all concrete pond users that you dont need all that except the use of ordinary cement. This could be applied by screeding existing pond with cement and wash with water and you are good to go.
This would save you cost of treatment of pond and add solidity to your pond
not to negate anything,but raise issues.All d treatment cost a bit,just little.When you do screeding,it would cause nothing less & most of d pathogenic buildup would have been covered & destroyed,but d pond would have being reinforce somehow,use of water will only makes it look as if u just have a new pond.What i can only bring out is my bro well done sir,i wrote recently h2o can b use ponds after cement
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 3:40pm On Mar 01, 2017
excelsiorfarm:
nothing done that cannot be replicated else where. If you read the whole thread,sometime(could be years back) i wrote that u can just fill yr pond with water to flush.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 8:27pm On Mar 01, 2017
[quote author=excelsiorfarm post=54173586][/quote]

In fish farm management there are lots of trial and error and we blame it on the farm management. The use of ordinary water is one of it. Its efficacy is not guarantee but the use of cement do

This is a proven method that works. What used to be the practise is rapidly changing but Africa have refused to change. We play by the rule and observe the standard failing to realise that the rule has changed

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 9:56pm On Mar 01, 2017
Ttalk:
NEW DISCOVERY:
It is a general standard that pond should be treated before stocking in other to kill the pathogen and bacterials in the pond, failure of which could result in high mortality.
The use of formalin, industrial lime and other chemicals become necessary but at a cost.
This is to inform all concrete pond users that you dont need all that except the use of ordinary cement. This could be applied by screeding existing pond with cement and wash with water and you are good to go.
This would save you cost of treatment of pond and add solidity to your pond
your quote,wash with water, just to spot that
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 10:07pm On Mar 01, 2017
Ttalk:

In fish farm management there are lots of trial and error and we blame it on the farm management. The use of ordinary water is one of it. Its efficacy is not guarantee but the use of cement do

This is a proven method that works. What used to be the practise is rapidly changing but Africa have refused to change. We play by the rule and observe the standard failing to realise that the rule has changed
because of the thousands of newbies in quote,i always ask questions. For those that do trial & error,they could have issues,but even from beginning of this thread i state things with proof & say go do it and come testify. Use of water to flush after construction is guarantee & doing screeding is working on your pond i.e renovation work(making new). i dont do rules,read my post,i challenge/ broke them. from aerator etc. & at times what is claim to be new always isn't new. Even here i see some innovation,so africans are innovating. And a lot here isn't trial/error

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 8:12am On Mar 02, 2017
Let me explain how one can use cement to treat pond.
Mix with water, spinkle on the wall and on the ground of the pond. If there cracked area, screed with cement allow to dry then wash with fresh water.
This work on abandoned ponds and others where there is history of mortality.
@ Excellesior i understand your point but for the sake of newbie the use of filling pond with water especially old ponds with no knowledge of the present or otherwise of pathogen could be dangerous. And since we all agree that pathogen and bacterials are integral part of pond environment, any thing that would reduce their population is welcome. Mind you there are fungi and bacterial that trives in fresh and clean well oxygenated water. Research on Columnaris and Saprogenia will give us a clearer idea on this

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 8:56am On Mar 02, 2017
bro Ttalk well done

bacteria differs,under every condition,there are organisms that strive in them,even when oxygen,light etc. are absent.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by idee91: 8:58am On Mar 02, 2017
Ttalk:
Mix with water, spinkle on the wall and on the ground of the pond. If there cracked area, screed with cement allow to dry then wash with fresh water.
@ Excellesior i understand your point but for the sake of newbie the use of filling pond with water especially old ponds with no knowledge of the present or otherwise of pathogen could be dangerous. And since we all agree that pathogen and bacterials are integral part of pond environment, any thing that would reduce their population is welcome. Mind you there are fungi and bacterial that trives in fresh and clean well oxygenated water. Research on Columnaris and Saprogenia will give us a clearer idea on this
I would give it a shot soon, thanks very much sir. New tested ideas are always welcome. .....Cheers !!
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 10:12am On Mar 02, 2017
excelsiorfarm:
bro Ttalk well done

bacteria differs,under every condition,there are organisms that strive in them,even when oxygen,light etc. are absent.

My oga, i remain loyal sir
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 10:37am On Mar 02, 2017
idee91:

I would give it a shot soon, thanks very much sir. New tested ideas are always welcome. .....Cheers !!

You are welcome bro. Pls come back to share your experience.

This reminds me of fingerling i bought from our own Robonski himself. The set are the best u ever got though it was delivered late. Better than what i got from an Israelis. The growth were like miracle. That was when i discovered that melange production could be a treasure.
Then wonder when there arose complain about fish mortality and and stunted growth from some of our colleague. The concern might be genuine but the outpouring was so demoralising.
The point is we should have confidence in ourselves through genuine critisism and not outright codemnation

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 11:35am On Mar 02, 2017
Ttalk:

My oga, i remain loyal sir
loyalty must be based on fact & details always bro. Also iam no one oga,even those that consider themselves under me,i bring them beside me because i believe all are equal. So colleague,i no need loyalty,but TRUTH at all time. Be Bless.

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by saheed3(m): 2:14pm On Mar 02, 2017
These pond are for sale
15ft by 13ft by 4.5ft
17ft by 9ft by 4ft
15ft by 10ft by 4ft
13ft by 11ft by 4ft
3 White plastic nursery pond
8 black plastic vat

The owner is selling them as a result of drainage issues and his neighbors are complaining.
This is my advice to newbies, don't underrate the importance of drainage to the success of catfish biz.

Iyana ipaja axis - Lagos
Contact seedorf: 08069635951,

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by saheed3(m): 2:59pm On Mar 02, 2017
For sale

Contact seedorf:08069635951

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by excelsiorfarm(m): 9:34pm On Mar 02, 2017
saheed3:
For sale

Contact seedorf:08069635951
state/location
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by saheed3(m): 10:21pm On Mar 02, 2017
excelsiorfarm:
state/location
Iyana ipaja axis, Lagos
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ateboh: 11:56pm On Mar 02, 2017
Hello hux, has any1 tried vital feed 2mm? Hw effective is it? Can it b compare to coppens feed or others? Since foreign feeds r becomin too expensive.
Pls any1 wt contact of where I can buy Aquapro?
Tnx
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by celloman: 8:49am On Mar 03, 2017
Is it possible to feed fish with local floating in the morning and use foreign feed in the evening for same fish. Hope it wont have any bad effect?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by kaze4blues(m): 11:55am On Mar 03, 2017
how long does it take on average for fish to reach 1kg weight assuming there is absence of d infections, there is good water management and the fish are fed adequately three times everyday on foreign feeds?

pls my bosses in here I need answers
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 10:29pm On Mar 03, 2017
kaze4blues:
how long does it take on average for fish to reach 1kg weight assuming there is absence of d infections, there is good water management and the fish are fed adequately three times everyday on foreign feeds?

pls my bosses in here I need answers

Between 4 and 6 month provided the seed and temparature is right
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Sholaystar4me(m): 11:12pm On Mar 03, 2017
HI Greatminds, I have a question, and swift response will go a long way in saving my farm.the question goes like this;

i am trying to switch to local feeds, but i noticed that my fishes are not eating the feeds, but each time i give them foreign, they dont keep calm at all, they finish it in no time, I do not know if it is the weather that`s affecting them or they just dont want to adapt to the local feed, cos i reasoned that if it was the weather, they would have rejected the foreign too. what could I possibly do to increase their appetite for the local feeds...it is an earthen pond, the foreign(Durante) they are taking is 4mm, and the local is 2mm, by 10th of march they will be 3months in the pond..

Thanks in advance

1 Like

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by kaze4blues(m): 12:09am On Mar 04, 2017
Ttalk:

Between 4 and 6 month provided the seed and temparature is right
thank u
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 9:22am On Mar 04, 2017
[quote author=Sholaystar4me post=54250101]HI Greatminds, I have a question, and swift response will go a long way in saving my farm.the question goes like this;

i am trying to switch to local feeds, but i noticed that my fishes are not eating the feeds, but each time i give them foreign, they dont keep calm at all, they finish it in no time, I do not know if it is the weather that`s affecting them or they just dont want to adapt to the local feed, cos i reasoned that if it was the weather, they would have rejected the foreign too. what could I possibly do to increase their appetite for the local feeds...it is an earthen pond, the foreign(Durante) they are taking is 4mm, and the local is 2mm, by 10th of march they will be 3months in the pond..

Changing from forein feed to local requires a lot of patience.
First the fish that has been eating foreign feed from birth are going to be resistant to local for somretimes. This is because they are used to that particular taste.
On the other hand, most locals are not shape the way foreign feed are shaped that enhances easy picking. Also foreign feed are externally coated with fish oil and it act as attractant and fortified with other appertiser and the extrusion procees also make the feed palatable.
Let me explain that it takesat least 2weeks for catfish to naturally adjust to local and their size at the time of changing determine their quick response to local.
In melange production, time is very important, so waiting for as long as 2week could affect lenght of your harvest. What you need to do is to introduce your local gradually alongside your foreign and start to reduce your foreign as time goes on.
Other method is to fortified your first local with fishmeal like 40% inclusion in your feed and gradually reduce the fishmeal percentage in your formulation. This is excellent method when you target tablesize.
Note that i deliberately did not recommend any multivitamin or appetite booster because the situation on ground is natural anddoes not require that

2 Likes

Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by celloman: 12:52pm On Mar 04, 2017
Is it possible to feed fish with local floating in the morning and use foreign feed in the evening for same fish. Hope it wont have any bad effect?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Ttalk: 1:06pm On Mar 04, 2017
celloman:

What do you want to achieve with that practice? To reduce cost, increase feed consumption or increase weight?
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by uyijob: 9:49pm On Mar 04, 2017
Ttalk:

Please I'm new in this business. I just completed my concrete bond and I was advice to soak the pond with salt and water for four days to one week after which I'll do final washing before stocking. is this method ok? Please any advice on this will be highly appreciated.
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by abbeydeeone: 1:22am On Mar 05, 2017
pls anyone with pure clarias fingerlings should please chat me up on 07039298244. Ibadan preferably
Re: Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!! by Sholaystar4me(m): 2:59am On Mar 05, 2017
bLESS YOU BOSS, REALLY APPRECIATE, I WILL DO AS YOU HAVE ADVISED, DO YOU HAVE ANY MORE IDEA ON HOW I CAN MAKE THEM EVEN BIGGER, COS MAKE I NOR LIE, DEM DEY CHOP, AND NA D HAPPINESS B DT.... BUT THIS THEIR ATTITUDE TOWARDS LOCAL FEEDS IS OF MAJOR CONCERNED....ESPECIALLY NOW THAT FOREIGN FEEDS(AND EVEN LOCAL) PRICES ARE SKY ROCKETING EVERYDAY, AND THIS CREATURES HAVE TO EAT WELL AGAIN

[quote author=Ttalk post=54256512][/quote]

(1) (2) (3) ... (364) (365) (366) (367) (368) (369) (370) ... (523) (Reply)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.