Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,096 members, 7,811,071 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:28 PM

7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes (54517 Views)

Taking Food Out Of Airplanes / 10 Things Nigerians Are Doing Better Than Other Africans / Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:19am On Mar 30, 2013
CFCfan:

Na wa. E be like say Nigerians in the East Coast get issues.
Thank God say I dey San Diego County.

On the OP's point about carrying excessive lugguage is poignant. Those things may have caused the malfunctioning of the MMIA baggage carousels. undecided
Please, don't even defend MMIA right now. They need to fix their carousels for goodness sake. There are only two carousels, one is annoyingly slow and the other one isn't even working. That one has been defunct since I can remember.

1 Like

Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:19am On Mar 30, 2013
adaobi123:
Forget arik, my mum is too scared to enter their planes. Its either BA or KLM cool

Arik's pilots don't turn on the air-conditioning before take-off, according to some stories rendered last year. shocked

2 Likes

Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:20am On Mar 30, 2013
chucky234: I so much love KLM
KLM has to be one of the best airlines around
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:22am On Mar 30, 2013
ItsModella:
Please, don't even defend MMIA right now. They need to fix their carousels for goodness sake. There are only two carousels, one is annoyingly slow and the other one isn't even working. That one has been defunct since I can remember.

I thought Stella Oduah was transforming our airports?
Anyway, a new international terminal will be opened by the 1st quarter of 2015. Construction will start in June.
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:22am On Mar 30, 2013
adaobi123:
Forget arik, my mum is too scared to enter their planes. Its either BA or KLM cool
I can't. My mum said nobody in my house is sponsoring any Nigerian airline grin grin grin grin

It's usually KLM, Air France, Delta for us.
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Paentera(m): 2:22am On Mar 30, 2013
CFCfan:

I don't think so. undecided

Taking cooked meals - puff puff & jollof rice - past immigration/border patrol? Considering it was Alitalia that doesn't serve these sort of meals, I daresay it must be some serious laxity.
ItsModella:
This is so true. When I went to naija in December. Only one was working and 3 different planes landed at around the same time. So imagine the amount of luggage. KLM peeps Turkish airlines and the SA peeps. People vex that day o.

1 Like

Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:23am On Mar 30, 2013
adaobi123:
KLM has to be one of the best airlines around
Spot on. But the overall best airlines in the world are Asian/Middle-eastern.

Singapore airlines, Cathay Pacific, Qatar Airways, Etihad, Emirates are 20 steps above everyone else.
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:24am On Mar 30, 2013
ItsModella: 6-7 is beans. Most times I have to take a 9 hour flight from ATL to Amsterdam/Paris and a 6 hour flight from Amsterdam/Paris to Lagos. With some 4 hours layover....you haven't experienced REAL travel.

[size=13pt]11+ hours from San Francisco to Frankfurt cry[/size]
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by chucky234(m): 2:24am On Mar 30, 2013
adaobi123:
THIS IS TRUE AND I AM ONE THEM. TEAM OVERLOAD LUGGAGE. grin grin grin
lol
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Paentera(m): 2:24am On Mar 30, 2013
CFCfan:

Arik's pilots don't turn on the air-conditioning before take-off, according to some stories rendered last year. shocked

Untrue from my experience - Arik's international flights are out-sourced to foreign crews and each time I've taken Arik in the past five years, nothing of such happened. Im certain the story rendered must have been done either for dramatic effect or to discourage others from using the airline.
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:24am On Mar 30, 2013
ItsModella:
I can't. My mum said nobody in my house is sponsoring any Nigerian airline grin grin grin grin

If/when the new Nigerian national carrier comes on stream, I may give it a try. cool
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:25am On Mar 30, 2013
ItsModella:

LOOOOOL
I remember one time, a person advised bellview airline to my mum. She just dropped the phone and screamed 'tufiakwa, me, enter bellview you must be joking'. grin grin
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:25am On Mar 30, 2013
ogugua88:

Why are u crying?
Your flight should have had in-flight entertainment.
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by chucky234(m): 2:26am On Mar 30, 2013
Paentera:

Taking cooked meals - puff puff & jollof rice - past immigration/border patrol? Considering it was Alitalia that doesn't serve these sort of meals, I daresay it must be some serious laxity.
I find that hard to believe either

1 Like

Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:27am On Mar 30, 2013
Paentera:

Untrue from my experience - Arik's international flights are out-sourced to foreign crews and each time I've taken Arik in the past five years, nothing of such happened. Im certain the story rendered must have been done either for dramatic effect or to discourage others from using the airline.

Lol. People and drama. I believe though that Arik should merge with some other local airlines to form a big national carrier.
New investors can also be part of the proposed airline.

1 Like

Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:27am On Mar 30, 2013
CFCfan:
Spot on. But the overall best airlines in the world are Asian/Middle-eastern.

Singapore airlines, Cathay Pacific, Qatar Airways, Etihad, Emirates are 20 steps above everyone else.
Yeah. Thai airways is nice too. Nigeria aviation association, should learn from them.
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:28am On Mar 30, 2013
adaobi123:
LOOOOOL
I remember one time, a person advised bellview airline to my mum. She just dropped the phone and screamed 'tufiakwa, me, enter bellview you must be joking'. grin grin
grin grin grin
Bellview is a no-go airline. I think they are defunct now.
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by chucky234(m): 2:28am On Mar 30, 2013
adaobi123:
LOOOOOL
Now this got me laughing so loud that woke up my neighbours.
Bellview spell doom for travellers,though their services across West Afriac airspace was one of the best back then.
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:29am On Mar 30, 2013
CFCfan:

Does that effect the plane?
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:29am On Mar 30, 2013
CFCfan: Why are u crying?
Your flight should have had in-flight entertainment.

[size=13pt]I don't like movies and my music can ony take me so far. Lol. Sleeping is a lousy remedy as I believe I take 6-hour naps, only to wake and find that 47 minutes have passed.[/size]

1 Like

Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:31am On Mar 30, 2013
CFCfan:
grin grin grin
Bellview is a no-go airline. I think they are defunct now.
Yeah they are no more. That airline was the route to death
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by lafflaff123(m): 2:31am On Mar 30, 2013
Laugh catch me when i see some comments about wetin i write.

Anyway to the first idiot wey say i dey pose because i no need landing card and if my mama teach me not to read other people messages,na illiterates like you i like to meet in person.

If you had any iota of intelligence in your head,then you should have seen where i clearly stated the fact that she kept the phone on my arm rest while turning to my right it was there,open and since i am not blind of course i will read.

Remember i did not touch her phone and she picked it up where she left it(my space)and to say i am a racist?i am assuming you meant a tribalist?right?was born,bred and still live in Yorubaland when i am around and the only i specifically mentioned her tribe YORUBA,was because the Yoruba's are known for respect for elderly people,so her character baffled me.

Do you think the old man was stupid and did not know the girl's display of stupidity was all because of him?how would you feel if a girl called your dad a SMELLY OLD MAN?and you expected me to be all smile with an uncouth low life?and yes i rememeber because it happened last year and if you are that intellectually bankrupt not to remember things in details from even twenty years ago,then you have the right to be where you are in life now.

As stated earlier, i have a soft spot for elderly people and was brought up to be very respectful to them and i really find it disturbing when i see people treating them with disregard.

To the other idiot who said i have not seen a plane but from hollywood movies. To you i will not even didnify you with an answer.

To the Poster, you see a lot of things travelling and some you will find unpalatable but it comes with the territory and this is not synonymous to Nigerian travellers alone.

Some of my experiences:

Oyinbo pikin sitting close to me some years ago for some where in Europe vomit for my body,i understand say some pikin body dey get as it be when in flight and when them dey on full stomach.

A Nigerian lady with her daughter were sitting close to me on a trip to Nigeria from Paris. Lady stood up and told me excuse me as she wanted to walk pass my sit to use the rest room and as she squeezed pass me i noticed there were blood stains on her white trousers. I brought it to her notice and she sat down quickly,called the Air France hostess,whispered something into her ears and the air hostess gave her the neck scarf she had and went and brought something for her.

The lady went to the rest room,came back and thanked me very much,i could go on with my experiences on air but that na HANDOUT.

When i travel i put my mind on getting to my destination,what business i am going for and most importantly praying to get there safely(THE BEST PLANES THIS DAYS DEY FALL ENTER RIVER)instead of make i dey look wetin other people dey do.

@Poster no dey find fault for Naija people.

5 Likes

Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by chucky234(m): 2:31am On Mar 30, 2013
CFCfan:

If/when the new Nigerian national carrier comes on stream, I may give it a try. cool
You have to give it a whole year before going on board that airline,except they purchase some new aircrafts which I doubt as Beoing is fully booked for the next few years.
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:31am On Mar 30, 2013
chucky234: I find that hard to believe either

[size=13pt]I saw what I saw though. We weren't served rice but there was rice everywhere.[/size]
ogugua88:

[size=13pt]I don't like movies and my music can ony take me so far. Lol. Sleeping is a lousy remedy as I believe I take 6-hour naps, only to wake and find that 47 minutes have passed.[/size]

Wow, I am the exact opposite. I fill up my time watching movies and listening to music.
I also like to view the 'airshow'. When I'm done doing all that, I will then sleep.
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:32am On Mar 30, 2013
chucky234: Now this got me laughing so loud that woke up my neighbours.
Bellview spell doom for travellers,though their services across West Afriac airspace was one of the best back then.
LOOOOOOOOOL. It's a shame though.
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by KayDee4: 2:33am On Mar 30, 2013
ogugua88:

. . . add 6 to that. I went 17 straight hours from Houston to Dubai, I slept like a Yak .
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by chucky234(m): 2:34am On Mar 30, 2013
adaobi123:
Yeah they are no more. That airline was the route to death
But didn't record any crash on any of the international routes,I can remember Bellview was the reason why many UK based were able to visit Naija back then as they were the only one offering cut-price rates to London with their molue-like planes.
Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by bumdish: 2:34am On Mar 30, 2013
adaobi123:
That's the point of the thread. Talking about your experiences flying with fellow Nigerians. It's ain't easy tongue
LOL

Can't someone just make a point without saying.
"In December 2000, I alongside my dad and siblings"
"I was once on a Delta flight from ATL to LAG for 12 hours"
"My flight from Italy to Nigeria (Alitalia) was easily one of the more "interesting" flights I've flown"
"I have taken flight between different countries and all those things are there, apart from number 2. 3 weeks ago I flew Lufthansa from Munich to Helsinki"
"I will never forget my experience on-board Emirates airline in October 2006. The Lagos-Dubai and Dubai-JFK flights "

Naija, we too like to dey show grin

5 Likes

Re: 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:35am On Mar 30, 2013
chucky234: You have to give it a whole year before going on board that airline,except they purchase some new aircrafts which I doubt as Beoing is fully booked for the next few years.

Correct. But they airline can buy some fairly used planes from other carriers, or make use of Arik's current long-haul planes.
I believe Arik placed an order for 7 Boeing Dreamliners (Boeing 787); therefore, the new airline would have ownership of those planes.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (20) (Reply)

Passengers Transported With Wheelbarrows At Rumuokoro Flyover In Port Harcourt / Life In Germany: What Is It Like For Nigerians Who Migrated? / Petr Kellner Dies In Helicopter Crash

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.